Type keyword(s) to search

Tiger King - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/13/2020 at 11:05 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I disagree that Spade's interviews were better. He barely let Saff get a word in edgewise and he spent a good part of each interview rehashing the same stuff each time, giving his opinions about Joe and  Carole, and telling the participants how genuine they seemed (and calling them "buddy" a million times). I found myself getting really frustrated during his interviews. I wanted him to let everyone except Jeff talk more.

I developed an intense dislike of David Spade back in his SNL years and have refused to watch anything he's associated with since so I'm not going to watch his interviews, especially after @ElectricBoogaloo's post.  I did watch the TMZ show which was pretty much a waste of time as I thought it would be.  All they did was rehash the most sensationalized parts of Tiger King and interview a few new people like the Tampa Sheriff, Doctor Phil, Nancy Grace, a PETA lawyer and a couple of "friends" of Joe's.  Nothing ground breaking or really worthwhile.

• Love 5

I'm sorry but I do not care for Carole much. I think she probably killed her husband and I also feel the police botched the investigation. Her place is better then Joe's but that is not saying much. I think all these people would feed me to a Lion in a heartbeat if it meant protecting themselves.  Everyone who supports and worked with Carole, Joe, and Doc did feel or act like they were in a Cult.

Joe is just plain crazy.  I am glad it was brought up in this insane documentary that he became more obsessed with fame and Carol that he stopped paying attention to the animals. Which he didn't help or treat right in the first place.  He is where he deserves to be. He probably set fire to the studio.

Doc Antle and the way he treated the woman was so bad. Seems you only rise the top if you sleep with him. Classy. Disgusting.

None of the animals should be with any of them. They should all be free in the wild. 

Lowe I heard he is also building a brand new zoo.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Jeff Lowe claims that he has a tape of Joe having relations with a tiger:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/16/jeff-lowe-smears-tiger-king-joe-exotic-with-animal-sex-tape-claims/

The former employee of Joe's who did the AMA said something about Joe having relations with animals too. I don't remember the specifics because I read it a few weeks ago but the link was posted earlier in the thread if anyone wants to check it out. Warning: it's a pretty long thread but the animal sex was mentioned near the end.

• Useful 1

Finished the series.

Jeff really is a sleazebag. Who only owns one outfit (with many holes).

Things that stood out to me:

1. The chimpansees. 

2. Erik going full blown alcoholic. You can say a lot of things about Joe's employment tactics, but for some people it did apparently keep them afloat for as long as it lasted. I hope he is/was able to turn his life around.

3. Bucktooth getting his shitty tattoo replaced by an even shittier tattoo.

4. Poor future Lowe baby. Who the hell advertises for nanny positions with booty shots? I hope they know there will be an actual human baby to care for, right.

5. Josh saying that being subpoena'd by the Feds was the scariest thing that ever happened to him. I figure he willfully blocked the whole Travis affair out of self preservation.

6. Howard Baskin is a man of many talents.

7. "I had to buy pants for court". Wait, what? Everyone appeared in their everyday outfit to testify anyway. I think one of them even wore shorts.

• Love 2
On 4/15/2020 at 7:42 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

The creator of Tiger King, Eric Goode, appears to be almost as shitty as Doc Antle and Joe.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/davidmack/tiger-king-director-coronavirus-eric-goode-staff-bar-grill?__twitter_impression=true

I hope that when the pandemic Is over, people will support the businesses who helped their employees and boycott the ones who thought only of profit.

• Love 5
On 4/10/2020 at 9:26 PM, redpencil said:

I don't know details for all the animals, but there are a total of I think 37 tigers and 3 black bears that were transferred to The Wild Animal Sanctuary in Colorado in 2017. I'm not clear how long those tigers were actually in Oklahoma though, as the court order for at least 19 of them was connected to a different lawsuit against another zoo in Florida. Apparently they transferred their tigers to the Oklahoma zoo to get around a court order. I'm not sure if the rest of the tigers were due to the same court order (the sanctuary picked them up in two different trips a month apart). So all of these tigers were at the Oklahoma zoo, but I'm not sure how long the ones from Florida had been there. Here's an article from CNN with more.

The Oklahoma zoo is still operating, though.

Sidenote, but the Colorado sanctuary looks amazing. They actually have two facilities, the sanctuary near Denver which is 789 acres, and a natural refuge in southern Colorado that is almost 10,000 acres. Only the sanctuary near Denver is open to the public.

Just saw this today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/04/21/this-sanctuary-took-dozens-tiger-king-joe-exotics-tigers-now-its-struggling-stay-afloat/#comments-wrapper

With the stay-at-home orders and decrease in revenue for grocery stores who donated food, the sanctuary is struggling to stay afloat. 

I know it's tough times for a lot of people right now, but if you're interested in helping out, they could use it. I'm going to make a donation today. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
On 4/21/2020 at 8:08 AM, candle96 said:

Just saw this today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/04/21/this-sanctuary-took-dozens-tiger-king-joe-exotics-tigers-now-its-struggling-stay-afloat/#comments-wrapper

With the stay-at-home orders and decrease in revenue for grocery stores who donated food, the sanctuary is struggling to stay afloat. 

I know it's tough times for a lot of people right now, but if you're interested in helping out, they could use it. I'm going to make a donation today. 

So sad.  These big cats have been through hell and are at risk of starving, meanwhile "the Tiger King" gets 3 square meals a day...

4 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Real Lawyer Reacts to Tiger King part 1

Part 2

Not watched these yet but thanks for bringing them to my attention--i love this YouTube channel! 

• Love 1
(edited)

I just watched The Color Out of Space the other night. Cage is going to have to rein himself in to play Joe Exotic with the appropriate degree of reserved calm.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • LOL 3

With this Cage casting it reminds me of when he was in the Code Talker movie.  When a company had the license to produce 1/6 scale action figures he was all obsessed that his figure couldn't have any weapons.  Which was crazy since his role in that movie was to protect (and possibly kill) his code talker charge.  If he still has these views, how will he portray Joe Exotic and his obsession with guns?

• Love 1
(edited)

Whenever I think of Nicolas Cage, I think of an anecdote I read in the "What the Hell Happened To" article about him. That he once asked for his character's eye to be shot out in a family movie, and they said, "Um, no, this is a family movie." So, he agreed to be in another movie purely because his eye would get shot out in that one.

And the paragraph about this cockamamie decision process of his concluded with this gem of understatement: "I think that gives you some insight into the kind of decisions Cage makes when choosing projects."

There is no telling what unhinged bullshit about Joe Exotic appealed to Cage. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2

Oddly the only person in the film who runs a zoo but doesn't seem totally awful is that Mario drug dealer guy. He seemed more like an eccentric but his zoo enclosures looked big and clean. 

Haha, I thought the same thing! I don't recall if his animals are "ill gotten" or if he's trying to have a legit sanctuary for animals who can't really go back to their natural habitats, but--despite his shady past--he seemed more convincing (and educated) to me than Joe, Doc Antle, and Carol combined in terms of benevolence toward animals.

• Love 1
On 4/1/2020 at 10:22 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I've been to Myrtle Beach many times, but, have never paid much attention to animal safari type attractions. Plus, I wouldn't pay $500.  to hold a tiger cub.  

I've been to MB for years too, and I've heard of the animal safari place. But I have no interest in it. Years ago, we went to Barefoot Landing, a shopping/dining/recreation area in Myrtle Beach. It's where they have something from the safari tour.  In a glass display cage, they had a tiger. I had no idea years later I'd see the crazy owner on Netflix. 

I was getting Netflix for other things and just watched TK.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

I've been to MB for years too, and I've heard of the animal safari place. But I have no interest in it. Years ago, we went to Barefoot Landing, a shopping/dining/recreation area in Myrtle Beach. It's where they have something from the safari tour.  In a glass display cage, they had a tiger. I had no idea years later I'd see the crazy owner on Netflix. 

I was getting Netflix for other things and just watched TK.

I’ve been to Barefoot Landing too. I thought they had a crocodile farm or something....that kind of thing doesn’t intrigue me.  Nasty and too cruel for my taste.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve been to Barefoot Landing too. I thought they had a crocodile farm or something....that kind of thing doesn’t intrigue me.  Nasty and too cruel for my taste.

Alligator Adventure  isn't far from BL. Not interested in that either. 

One thing I notice is Joe sniffed a lot. Drugs, a quirk, a deviated nasal septum?

1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

Alligator Adventure  isn't far from BL. Not interested in that either. 

One thing I notice is Joe sniffed a lot. Drugs, a quirk, a deviated nasal septum?

I chalked it up to ungodly amounts of drugs.

There's a guy who comes in our library who has a horrible residual cough from all the meth he has smoked. Right when the pandemic started, some woman was visibly freaked out by his cough.  I didn't say anything but he sounds like that all the time, coronavirus or no coronavirus. Just assumed Joe was similar with his sniffling. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Allergies/hayfever can do that too, but having seen the series drugs seem most likely.

I actually have allergies myself, so usually I'd give someone the benefit of the doubt and consider it, but there was something about Joe's that seemed a little less . . . natural. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Carole Baskin is on Cameo

FYI - Jeff Lowe, Doc Antle, John Finlay, and Saff have all been on Cameo since April. Dillon Passage, John Reinke, Allen Glover, Joshua Dial, and James Garretson are all on Cameo too.

It probably is due to the passage of time and the state of the world but i am happy that I don't remember a single person in this group besides Carol Baskin.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Wow, that's interesting they have lined up an attorney to represent any tipster who might need defending, and to do it pro bono!  I'm glad that the attorney mentioned that they cannot guarantee results and negotiations depend on the facts of the case. We attorneys have to do that, under our rules of ethics, but with all the sleezy people depicted in the documentary, I was worried that this attorney wouldn't be aquainted with our rules of ethics. 

On 7/9/2020 at 10:01 AM, qtpye said:

It probably is due to the passage of time and the state of the world but i am happy that I don't remember a single person in this group besides Carol Baskin.

It was all anyone was talking about when it first aired, but it does seem like this show was a million years ago now, doesn't it? Mercifully I can barely remember anyone other than the two main adversaries, and I'm happy at least one is now in jail.

• Love 3
On 9/3/2020 at 7:25 AM, merylinkid said:

She is milking her 15 minutes of fame.   Yes she was asked because of all the brouhahaha around the show, but she didn't have to say yes.  Her Big Cat Rescue seems to be as much as a cult as the rest of them.   

I have said a few times that is all she cares about as well.

I hear we are getting a new documentary focusing on her missing husband.