Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: A Big Fat Proposal

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, aliya said:

My son's fiance lives a little over an hour away. I don't see anything wrong with people being in different places until they get married. They've been dating for about 2 yrs (met online) and they have had to deal with the travel and not seeing each other if there's too much snow, but they've made it work.

Now with the pandemic, she is staying up here so they can be together. She got permission to work from home and he works from home anyway, so it's been good. She plans to go back when restrictions are lifted.

I think in big cities people may commute an hour to get to a lot of places anyway, so I don't see it as a big deal. Engaged people don't always move in together. 

I get what you’re saying, but I think it’s curious for Whitney and Chase, who are ready to be married in a few months to still be living 3-4 hours (one way) away from each other.  Probably because neither one seemed willing to move, according to the show, Whitney had never even gone to Wilmington, and Whitney seemed to have a fairly flexible schedule where she could have visited Chase. Maybe they did and never said (before the pandemic), but it seemed she’d want to spend more of her free time with her fiancé. YMMV.

• Love 6
(edited)

I tried to rewatch the “engagement party”  to see if it was as bad as I remembered.  I think I only got about 10 minutes into the program.  The thing that really struck me even back then was how most of the cast seemed totally unbelievable as people happy that their friend/family had just gotten engaged.  I mean they looked like..well me, if I had been there.  I’d love a behind the scenes tell all for this episode.  These screenshots were right after showing the proposal and commentary by Whitney and Chase.  I’ve seen happier people at funerals.  The look Todd and Tal have at the end was probably the look I had.  I know screenshots can miss things, but if you watch the video it isn’t much better.  I mean does this look like a celebration party for an engagement?  

DC4D4DD1-8707-471C-9645-23574C7A361B.thumb.jpeg.62814af033729a235e74f24e4f1c42e9.jpeg

724B8E2B-9F74-4509-A032-A4740C685023.thumb.jpeg.15cc13d2bfd0e508ee2227235a2cdc6a.jpeg

49018FBE-A92B-4681-ACD1-BA7BC3A75353.thumb.jpeg.766534d2628a2eecb05e05e42f57d8ad.jpeg

9E0D9034-EA92-4FD5-95A2-EC0BC1A91568.thumb.jpeg.f4185c3ae1813f0a6da543097eda8b21.jpeg

F73107B4-0BF5-4EC5-9F17-0DC72AB6A08A.thumb.jpeg.059038dd49a178ce46be12fcda500ff6.jpeg

45CF8EB2-CAFD-49F6-A502-D1D7FA581691.thumb.jpeg.4b7a11ae0654e218a40c1b3c0ce8563f.jpeg

*Screenshots are from MBFFL The Proposal episode

Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7

We all know this was a fake relationship and that Twit is pathetic. However, I truly think that although it was fake, she thought she could make him fall in love with her because she’s just so irresistible.  😂😂

• LOL 4
  • Love 10

Whitney's search for love reminds me of the couples on 90DF (90 Day Fiance), where unattractive (usually) Americans, mostly men I think go overseas to impoverished countries to find mates who are much more beautiful than any American who would be interested in the fiance-searcher.  Maybe Whit should look for love in the Philippines.  I wonder if she truly believes she is attractive enough to interest someone as good-looking (and nice imo) as Chase (or whatever his name is) or if she understands that the only way he will demonstrate affection for her is for what the 90DFers calll "the wrong reasons" (in that case a green card; in this TV fame and maybe lots of money).  The ugly unemployed nose-picking Americans on 90DF demand that the beautiful but poor foreigner swear undying love before they're brought to the US, but Chase was already here, so there must have been some other condition Chase agreed to.

Whitney filters the hell out of her instagram photos, so she knows her looks could be better, and for a woman who is supposed to revel in her weight, she sure uses a lot of filters that make her look slimmer.

Why doesn't she go for a guy (like Buddy, actually) who is as looks-challenged as she is (and this is leaving her horrible personality and lack of boundaries out of the question)--why doesn't she "settle?"  Why does she think she deserves a man who is conventionally gorgeous while she herself is not?

I lie awake at night.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

so there must have been some other condition Chase agreed to.

Money. And possibly "fame."

Why doesn't she go for a guy (like Buddy, actually) who is as looks-challenged as she is (and this is leaving her horrible personality and lack of boundaries out of the question)--why doesn't she "settle?"  Why does she think she deserves a man who is conventionally gorgeous while she herself is not?

Well, first of all, I think that Buddy has turned her down on multiple occasions. At least that is what he seems to say, but I think his actions leave that open to interpretation.

Secondly, I think there actually exist some people who really don't "match" based on looks. I think that Whit thinks she deserves a relationship and I think she's trying to sell us on the fact that her appearance shouldn't be a hindrance to her being with a conventionally attractive man. In theory, I agree with her. Looks shouldn't matter and if they don't then you would see a lot of couples out there that are mismatched in terms of conventional attractiveness. 

Practically speaking, though, people do seem to match with partners of about equivalent levels of attractiveness most commonly. As one of my favorite tv characters, Gregory House, once said, (and I paraphrase) "8's marry 8's; 3's marry 3's - maybe 4's or 5's if someone's got money..."

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I think that Whit thinks she deserves a relationship and I think she's trying to sell us on the fact that her appearance shouldn't be a hindrance to her being with a conventionally attractive man. In theory, I agree with her. Looks shouldn't matter and if they don't then you would see a lot of couples out there that are mismatched in terms of conventional attractiveness. 

Yes.  That would fit in with the premise of the show, that you can be fat and still have a healthy, wonderful life, doing all the things more typically-sized people do.  The problem is that she has not demonstrated that any of that is true in her life--I'm sure there are fat people who are gorgeous, who do indeed have fabulous lives--and who don't need to have a pathetic TV show to let the world know.  It would be great if she could be an example of a morbidly obese woman who can ski, for example, or win ballroom dance contests, run/walk a 5k race--succeed on her own at any of the challenges she has set for herself.  That would make for a fascinating, uplifting, worthwhile show.  Instead, she flits from project to project, never really conquering any of them, and half the time being rescued by Daddy.

I guess this "engagement" was just another fake and failed project--see how the fat girl attracts a handsome, lovely man, who is deeply in love with her, and how they travel together, and have lots of sex, and support each other in their lives.  But again, she couldn't seal the deal.  She couldn't make it to the finish line.  She figuratively broke her ankle.

I hope this episode has been so embarrassing that she doesn't come back.

• Love 13
On 5/29/2020 at 10:38 AM, Mothra said:

Whitney's search for love reminds me of the couples on 90DF (90 Day Fiance), where unattractive (usually) Americans, mostly men I think go overseas to impoverished countries to find mates who are much more beautiful than any American who would be interested in the fiance-searcher.

The overweight white women tend to pick Nigeria, Morocco or Tunisia.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, cherenkov said:

The overweight white women tend to pick Nigeria, Morocco or Tunisia.

And post-menopausal. Which wouldn't be an important factor except that they all go for men in their mid-20s who want biological children.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

@mamadrama and I are on a FB page which is - shall we say - NOT a fan page for Twitney.

Mamadrama posted a link from Reddit, written by someone who was on the plane with Twit and whatshisname after the Paris "proposal" episode.  Here's what the Reddit person wrote:

"Guys— I was on the flight back from Paris after their supposed “engagement trip”... but listen to this... they boarded the plan separately and Whitney sat in first class while Chase sat in coach, just a few rows away from me. They did not meet one another when we deplaned and got their baggage separately at baggage claim?!? I was smelling a fake when I saw all of this. I asked Whitney for a picture at our gate in Paris before boarding to fly home to Charlotte. She was sitting with a some random dude and “Chase” was nowhere in sight. "

The Reddit person did post a picture of herself with Twit, so she seems pretty real.  The whole scenario of Twit and Chase on the plane and after deplaning sounds like two co-workers (one of whom is a boss and gets to sit in first class) who are traveling home from a big conference.  NOT like a newly engaged couple, right?

All of you who are surprised to read this, please stand up.  Anyone?  Bueller?

Edited by AZChristian
Typo
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, Anna1234567 said:

Does anyone believe this guy was ever in a relationship with her?  That if the show didn’t exist, he’d have anything to do with her?  Does anyone even watch it to see her life work out?  I think having a show for everyone to hate a fat woman is a really low point in our culture.  Though we have hit such a rock bottom in our steady decline with the rise of the internet and social media and reality tv that it’s hard to really call anything a low point.  Part of the reason I dislike the body positivity movement is that it places even more focus on defining yourself based on physical appearance  and it also can be the de-motivator regarding change (though despite what any concern trolls may argue, it doesn’t make anyone get fat) but aside from those, a very big reason I hate the body positivity movement is that it brings out some of the ugliest stuff in human interaction and public expression.  It leads to shows that exist for people to hate the fat subjects.  And the shows milk that.   Whitney is deeply unlikable in many ways and yet here we are on season 7.  I think had she been a kind hearted and likable and intelligent person who did admirable or relatable things, it would have ended fast as mocking a fat person who isn’t horrible would mean people have to face the fact that hating people in this way and mocking them is fun for them and that’s why they watch.  The fact she is so awful is the veneer that allows everyone to hate the fatty and not ever have to admit they just enjoy hating the fatty.  There’s already so much shallow awfulness in human nature.  But we don’t work to not be that anymore.  We don’t try.  We cultivate it.  

Obviously I can’t speak for everyone here and there will always be people who are just judgmental and cruel, but the majority of people I’ve seen here don’t dislike her because she’s fat. She’s not a nice person. Her personality is horrible. And she’s dangerous. She spreads the message that it doesn’t matter if you are morbidly obese. She claims she’s just as healthy as anyone else. That’s just a big lie. Because she’s quasi-famous and it’s a message people who really need to lose weight want to hear, people believe her. 

She claims her ‘haters’ are all about her weight. But she could lose 200 lbs and I would still find her repulsive unless she had a radical shift in personality. 

• Love 13
(edited)
7 hours ago, Anna1234567 said:

Does anyone believe this guy was ever in a relationship with her?  That if the show didn’t exist, he’d have anything to do with her?  Does anyone even watch it to see her life work out?  I think having a show for everyone to hate a fat woman is a really low point in our culture.  Though we have hit such a rock bottom in our steady decline with the rise of the internet and social media and reality tv that it’s hard to really call anything a low point.  Part of the reason I dislike the body positivity movement is that it places even more focus on defining yourself based on physical appearance  and it also can be the de-motivator regarding change (though despite what any concern trolls may argue, it doesn’t make anyone get fat) but aside from those, a very big reason I hate the body positivity movement is that it brings out some of the ugliest stuff in human interaction and public expression.  It leads to shows that exist for people to hate the fat subjects.  And the shows milk that.   Whitney is deeply unlikable in many ways and yet here we are on season 7.  I think had she been a kind hearted and likable and intelligent person who did admirable or relatable things, it would have ended fast as mocking a fat person who isn’t horrible would mean people have to face the fact that hating people in this way and mocking them is fun for them and that’s why they watch.  The fact she is so awful is the veneer that allows everyone to hate the fatty and not ever have to admit they just enjoy hating the fatty.  There’s already so much shallow awfulness in human nature.  But we don’t work to not be that anymore.  We don’t try.  We cultivate it.  

I respectfully don't agree. I'm very feminist and support women in most every way.  

The original premise of the show was her video of her own self-titled:" Fat Girl Dancing."

I expected a show about a girl who loved to dance and did so with joy. 

Didn't happen. 

Cameras caught the real girl. She claimed adance "background and training" but continued over  several years to dance without moving her feet from a foot square around her.  As well as devolving into touching her breasts, butt and crotch and twerking like a low rent stripper. 

I loved Jennifer Lopez in her movie about pole dancing so I'm not a prude. What I'm saying is that Twit has no creativity in her dancing... it's been all the same for years. So much for loving dancing.  

Cameras also caught the real girl /woman being rude, bullying, and mocking of friends and elderly family, unhygienic, not caring enough to clean up after her pets, breaking physical boundaries of men and women, and lying about eating habits. 

Now I'm trying to think of any redeeming activities of said girl. Not coming up with any. 

Is that the camera's fault?  I don't think there's any there there.  

So she's fat.  But she still doesn't do anything interesting.  

Wrong fat girl to focus a show on.  

So many beautiful accomplished women out there...the mind boggles why this one continues to draw ratings.  

Adding on to ask, is it the cameras' or editing fault or the ratings that have kept this sad show on tv?

Trainwreck curiosity.  Crap tv.

After writing this post, Now I think I am CRAVING a truly positive portrayal of a plus size woman. It cd be so beautiful. 

Sigh.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 17
On 6/7/2020 at 3:37 AM, Anna1234567 said:

I originally started watching this show to see her life work out.  Now I guess I'm mostly curious as to what she will come up with next.  But she's the one who changed the premise of the show from "I'm not going to wait until I lose weight to enjoy life!" to "Forget that - I like being fat and I'm as healthy as anyone else and I can do as I please" combined with a variety of fake competitions and goals set up for her to "win".  No one expected her to turn into Jillian Michaels in her first season, but I think we thought we'd see some effort along with honesty about the struggles and pitfalls, rather than hearing her claim she doesn't eat enough while her mom is slinking by with empty dirty plates and wine bottles from her room.  If she were a kind-hearted and likable and intelligent person who did admirable things, her BGDC would probably be a real thing, and her "dance tours" might be a real and popular thing too, and she might have continued to get her speaking gigs, or some sponsorships for plus size exercise wear or something.  She'd be working alongside Ryan to come up with easy, healthy recipes and develop their site.  But this is how she's chosen to make her money instead.

• Love 8

Yes, I agree, her life is sad. I too liked her when the show started and was rooting for her to have success in her weight loss journey while enjoying her life.  As time progressed it became obvious she really wasn't willing to put in the work needed to achieve that goal so she shifted to "I am fine the way I am and healthy and can do anything a skinny person can, yada yada yada". As her true personality came out she became even less likable. She really is a danger to herself and to other overweight women who would want to try to get heathy but listen to her blather that being obese is just fine. 

All the fake contests/accomplishments/relationships just pile on to how fake, fake fakety fake this show is. I really feel the sorriest for the fans that buy into all this and are putting their own lives at risk.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

All the fake contests/accomplishments/relationships just pile on to how fake, fake fakety fake this show is. I really feel the sorriest for the fans that buy into all this and are putting their own lives at risk.

I think the worst one was the weightlifting competition.  2nd place out of 2 people, woo hoo!  Fit Twit!

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
(edited)

Came across this (it's work-related) and thought it looked a lot like Whitney's engagement ring, lol.  Ok, her's is square.  BTW, on this site, it takes 10,000 points to buy a $50 gift card....

citrine.jpg

Screenshot_20200617-105445_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Cache
Additional photo & comment.
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Cache said:

Came across this (it's work-related) and thought it looked a lot like Whitney's engagement ring, lol.  Ok, her's is square.  BTW, on this site, it takes 10,000 points to buy a $50 gift card....

citrine.jpg

Screenshot_20200617-105445_Samsung Internet.jpg

On the bright side, she can wear the ring on her right hand as purely ornamental since it’s not a conventional engagement ring. Way to hedge your bets whit!

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

On the bright side, she can wear the ring on her right hand as purely ornamental since it’s not a conventional engagement ring. Way to hedge your bets whit!

I would hope that  she would  return the  ring to  him. 

1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

Well if the whole thing was fake she would return the ring to TLC since it’s just a prop. 

My thought was that it  might have been  "on loan " to TLC from a jeweler, and she would have had to return it  when they (scripted) broke up.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

My thought was that it  might have been  "on loan " to TLC from a jeweler, and she would have had to return it  when they (scripted) broke up.  

I didn't know Claire's loaned jewelry...

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
On 6/17/2020 at 1:04 PM, Colleenna said:

The rule is that if the girl cancels the wedding she returns the ring; if the guy cancels she gets to keep it.  I would say getting your real girlfriend pregnant = girl keeps the ring 😄 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/17/2020 at 1:04 PM, Colleenna said:

You mean have TLC's producers/PAs return it to AliExpress? 😉 

ETA - found it! 😂😂😂😂😂😂
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967830101.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.59513d27nIkmlJ&algo_pvid=3b8ef9a1-cf7a-4326-aa60-a6ec07e01155&algo_expid=3b8ef9a1-cf7a-4326-aa60-a6ec07e01155-43&btsid=0ab50f0815929535884893096e5214&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Edited by lightninggirl
  • LOL 7
On 5/29/2020 at 11:45 AM, Elizzikra said:

Money. And possibly "fame."

Well, first of all, I think that Buddy has turned her down on multiple occasions. At least that is what he seems to say, but I think his actions leave that open to interpretation.

Secondly, I think there actually exist some people who really don't "match" based on looks. I think that Whit thinks she deserves a relationship and I think she's trying to sell us on the fact that her appearance shouldn't be a hindrance to her being with a conventionally attractive man. In theory, I agree with her. Looks shouldn't matter and if they don't then you would see a lot of couples out there that are mismatched in terms of conventional attractiveness. 

Practically speaking, though, people do seem to match with partners of about equivalent levels of attractiveness most commonly. As one of my favorite tv characters, Gregory House, once said, (and I paraphrase) "8's marry 8's; 3's marry 3's - maybe 4's or 5's if someone's got money..."

I have a friend who used to flirt with look-challenged men because, in her words, "Ugly guys need attention, too." She'd do it in a very charming way.

Sorry, just reminded me. Carry on.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

But I thought Buddy was marrying Whitney 😞 and this better not be a reverse love triangle fighting over Buddy!

😂😂😂Mr. Bell  aims to shut all of that Buddy loves Whitney shit right on down.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2