Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E19: Love of My Life

• Start Topic

Grey's has been moving in this direction for a while now, but now it has crossed over to being a daytime soap opera. 

I would argue that it has always been a soap opera, but it used to be a better written one. 

At first glance I thought "Oh look they took all the characters I don't give a damn about and made an episode about them." But I do still care about Richard, kind of, so I forced myself to sit through it.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2

This episode was interesting I guess. The storyline I liked and enjoyed the most was McWidow's. And that is wrong, all these other characters that have been there for a while and I didn't care. It's not that I don't like Teddy, Maggie or Richard but I was not interested. But I don't care about Teddy's past much though I do like the girl who played Allison from her The Foster days. I guess Teddy has always been messy in relationships.

Though this Teddy storyline did raise some questions for me. How old is Teddy? Did they mention when Allison met her she was an attending already. This would have been pre 9/11. That is almost 20 years ago. In addition I guess if you go regular track you become an attending around 32 if you are a cardio attending. This would make Teddy 52 now. And her having an easy, full term pregnancy and getting pregnant from a one time hook up would be even more unrealistic. I had not though about it much and if I misheard please correct me. 

Maggies guy was a little stalkerish to me. I like Maggie, she is a little boring or annoying and I know she is not liked here but I don't mind her and I didn't like this guy for her. 

Richard that was surprising and sad. I want to see where they are going to go with this storyline. Do we know if he is leaving the show/written off? I do hope it's not Alzheimer's because that would be overkill. 

McWidow is a great addition I think even though he is just a guest at the moment. I liked his backstory. It was so sad. I actually got emotional a little and it has been a while since I had felt that in Grey's. And I think he it a well balanced guy. He is cocky but sweet at the same time and you can see why he would have some "anger" issues. I really do hope he was brought in for Mer. They seem on par with each other in terms of life experience, they would understand each others past and not question the love and respect they have for their dead partners. They would know how to handle and comfort each others kids and they seem like they would balance each other out well. Also they look good together, they have chemistry and seem smiley, happy and flirty when they are around each other. Mer deserves some happiness and understanding and a guy who will not question her love for her dead husband. 

I loved that we had no DeLuca this episode. 

Zola continues to be the cutest kid. This Zola is not at cute as baby Zola but she is lovely and adorable and I love her. 

Edited by catspjs
  • Love 7

Hated the Richard storyline, but I enjoyed the rest of the storylines.  I like Maggie, and would love for her to catch a break in the romance department.   I did notice/appreciate that all of “love’s” were Black women.  Go Shonda!  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

But I do still care about Richard, kind of, so I forced myself to sit through it.

I probably care too much for Richard, kind of in a "I shouldn't care this much about a character" way. I admit that I fast forwarded through most of this episode. Richard is the one character they never made me hate at some point.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, nokat said:

Why?

Lol..  she’s neurotic and can be annoying, but for the most part has a good heart.  I feel for the character.   Too many times she’s gotten close to something happy then it gets taken away.  Her relationship with Jackson.  Her meeting her cousin, feeling a familial bond and then being a part of her death...   I just think it’s time for a “win” for her.   It would be nice for someone to pursue her as the prize.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
On 3/27/2020 at 1:48 AM, Daisy said:

like. it blows my mind that people write this and then they do table reads and they all apparently approve it. like no

I legit laughed at that.

Claire said that after Alison died at 9/11, she asked for Alison's phone history to find out who she called as she was dying. Does anyone else find this creepy?

• Love 8
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I legit laughed at that.

Claire said that after Alison died at 9/11, she asked for Alison's phone history to find out who she called as she was dying. Does anyone else find this creepy?

I think 9/11 probably made people a little irrational and they acted in a way they normally wouldn't have. Also even when people lose a loved one under normal cisrumsstance, not something of that magnitude they can act irrationally. So I did't think it was creepy. 

• Love 5

*when the episode started and it became clear it would all be at some hotel/conference, I knew it was a bad sign

* I was relieved to discover Richard had imagined Catherine being there. Because their reunion (if it had been real) was just not realistic at all. I thought Grey's had really overdone it on unrealistic. 

*this felt like Grey's is trying to be This is Us with all the flashbacks.  This is Us does it better.

*I did tear up with Dr. Irish's story--likely because I have 2 boys and stuff with mom leaving 2 boys gets to me. 

*to those posting this was the worst episode-may I remind you of the dinner party episode from just a few weeks ago. That was worse.

*kind of rolled my eyes at what we can expect next---another "Grey's works on one of their own!!!" cue the dramatic music--but show--we (a) have done that tons of times by now; and (b) they JUST did that a few episodes back with the Joe's crash (granted everyone hurt were characters we didn't know or didn't know if they died--but still. We just did that.)

• Love 5

I thought the Alex episode was the lowest of the low, but this one gave it a good run for it's money. 

Dr Irish; Hated it.  He's been on the show for fives minutes and hasn't really left that much of an impression.  Why would I give a crap about his dead wife backstory.  Especially since it took up twenty minutes of the episode.  And then the payoff is that he yells at a drug rep?  Who cares.

Teddy:  Hate her (and Kim Raver, sorry Kim and any of her fans).  The fact that she's a lying liar and a big fat cheater did not change my opinion of her.  Naming her daughter Alison was all kinds of wrong.

Maggie:  Hooking up with some dude at a medical conference seemed completely out of character for her.  The guy also seemed to be pushing way too hard.

Richard:  The minute Catherine walked in the door, I knew she wasn't real, though I thought it would just turn out that Richard conjured her to help him write the speech.  Finding out that he was actually losing it was a shocker and the only good part of the episode.  I loved Maggie getting him off the stage and Meredith and Bailey's reactions.  That's what GA should be about, the medical stories and reactions.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Dr Irish; Hated it.  He's been on the show for fives minutes and hasn't really left that much of an impression.  Why would I give a crap about his dead wife backstory.  Especially since it took up twenty minutes of the episode.  And then the payoff is that he yells at a drug rep?  Who cares.

Actually, his section was the shortest out of all of them. It seemed like he popped in only to have a ten minute backstory and then disappeared until the end of the episode. 

I ended up watching the entire episode last night and not just bits and pieces. As much as I don't care enough about McWidower to want him to come on as a series regular, his part was still the best of the episode. I don't know whether I would have wanted a longer backstory or if the shorter, ten minute segment was more than enough. I imagine, had it been an entire episode, I would have been more annoyed. Here, we got a glimpse into his wife's death and, really, that's all we needed. 

Now that I got a better glimpse of Maggie and her new love interest...a big fat meh. And this isn't even on Maggie, because she was just fine. I just don't think I liked her new beau all that much. He was ok, but just there to have sex with Maggie. I assume he will appear again next season, which is fine and all, but I'm gonna need a better impression of him next time.

Teddy's segment was still the worst part of the episode. Now that I actually watched it in its entirety, this whole episode made Teddy look absolutely awful. It makes it look like the show is attempting to not just justifying her cheating in the present day, but we're supposed to sympathize with Teddy. Just because Claire somehow forgave her (and didn't seem that angry...or maybe she just decided to not hold onto her feelings about the affair for 18 years), it doesn't mean that we should forgive her for her current actions with Owen and Tom. Unless they're going to head into a polygamous relationship (which I doubt), no, it's not really right to be not just in love with two people, but be in relationships with them both. Nor is it fair to Tom or Owen, so....I hope this doesn't lead to Teddy giving Owen this exact same speech.

Plus, yeah, I don't think Owen would be cool to learn that their daughter is named after the woman that Teddy was involved with in an affair situation. 

The Richard stuff was still ok, but it was obvious that something was up, just because Catherine isn't really capable of being that nice and polite, at least not for that long, and she would never really apologize to Richard like that. But I still came out of the episode, feeling alright if this is the beginning of Richard's exit from the show. Grey's doesn't typically kill characters off through an actual illness. It's basically been injury-related, so if they kill Richard off...I can't say I'd be disappointed. We have to be nearing the end of the show, at this point. It's time to start letting characters go and I'm still fine if Richard is one of them. 

This episode is still better than the Alex episode, and it's better than that dumbass Family Dinner episode. But this is definitely in third place for worst episode this season. 

• Love 4

13 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

I thought the Alex episode was the lowest of the low, but this one gave it a good run for it's money.

It has been going low. What the ever loving f have they been doing.  The crossovers with Station 19 too. 

10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Dr Irish; Hated it

McWidower, Dr Irish, I like him..

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Teddy's segment was still the worst part of the episode. Now that I actually watched it in its entirety, this whole episode made Teddy look absolutely awful. It makes it look like the show is attempting to not just justifying her cheating in the present day, but we're supposed to sympathize with Teddy. Just because Claire somehow forgave her (and didn't seem that angry...or maybe she just decided to not hold onto her feelings about the affair for 18 years), it doesn't mean that we should forgive her for her current actions with Owen and Tom. Unless they're going to head into a polygamous relationship (which I doubt), no, it's not really right to be not just in love with two people, but be in relationships with them both. Nor is it fair to Tom or Owen, so....I hope this doesn't lead to Teddy giving Owen this exact same speech.

Plus, yeah, I don't think Owen would be cool to learn that their daughter is named after the woman that Teddy was involved with in an affair situation. 

I find it really comical that the actress who was interviewed said after reading the episode: "Yeah, that explains my characters pretty well." Which I wanted to translate to: "I need to agree, or I'll be out of a job too." Interview is here

On 3/29/2020 at 3:19 PM, statsgirl said:

I legit laughed at that.

I think back then, cell phone phone bills came with a list of calls made.   She probably opened it to make the final payment and ......

• Love 2

I finally watched this last night and there are really no words except that when Maggie is my favorite character something is off-kilter.  The other good thing was minimal Meredith, although it looks as if Dr. Sun will be saving Richard.  As somebody posted above, this sure seems neurological so call in Amelia and Tom, please.

• Love 3

Curious -- has it been established whether McWidow's kids are his biological kids or his kids through marriage? Not that it makes a ton of difference, since they (and so far almost all the kids on the show, for that matter) are little more than plot devices to be occasionally dragged out for bits of cuteness and/or drama.

Weird, disjointed, “where did this come from” episode.  Mer’s lucky the babysitter got sick because who knows what they’d have done to her.

Hey, I’m another one who likes Dr. Irish.  Apart from the bad wig (have they no budget for this?), his backstory was well-told and well acted.  He actually has very nice hair as other shows will testify.

Maggie was, for once, tolerable.

I don’t even know what to say about the Richard turn of events.

Teddy is gross.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 2
On 3/27/2020 at 11:25 PM, nokat said:

I'm probably one of the few who likes McWidower. Was nice to see his backstory. The Teddy story, wtf. Seeing Katherine gives me the stabbies. Richard deserves better. Has been watching older seasons, and I hated Maggie at her first appearance. Can't stand the sanctimonious bitch.

^^^We are in sync with the characters! I like McWidower and the conversation with his wife in the hospital made me tear up big time. Katherine was acting out of character (meaning, too nice) so I was afraid something was up with that sitch. Her condescending way of speaking (it's the actress, she always sounds like that) makes me stabby. Please Maggie, move to Boston, so I don't have to see your Resting Stank Face anymore (seriously, she looks like she smells rotten eggs 24/7). 

• Love 1