Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E13: Dominic's Story LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Are they going to test you?

No. I was called at noon today by the doctor's office to come in and be tested. I arrived by 1:40, waited in an empty office for an hour while administrative staff asked each other why I was there. I'm not kidding. 

Between the time that I was called to come in, and the time that I arrived, the testing criteria had changed from "has symptoms" to "needing to be hospitalized from symptoms". At least that is what I was told by the PA that saw me. 

When I went in 12 days ago with a dry cough, headache, temperature of 99.8 and feeling like I had a ton of bricks on my chest, they said that there were no tests available. They called me back 3 days later to offer a test, but I had no symptoms, so was refused then, too. 

I am not making this up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Since I always home cook, we had our first Instacart delivery today.  My husband is very high risk so we gave it a try.  Went very well and I way over over tipped.  

Its great the guy who shopped for me did a perfect job. I always tip well to show my appreciation

25 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Since I always home cook, we had our first Instacart delivery today.  My husband is very high risk so we gave it a try.  Went very well and I way over over tipped.  

Its great the guy who shopped for me did a perfect job. I always tip well to show my appreciation

• Love 4

I hope losing weight will get them both out of their arrested development. They act like they were abandoned as children and living out of a car but they were in their 30s when the mother died.  

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, PureMantis said:

"If I go to a restaurant it's healthier" I can't even with this logic. As a former professional cook: No it's not. I use soo much butter and salt when I cook.

Anne Burrell always says "do you know why food tastes great in restaurants? they use SALT!" 

• Love 18
45 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

OH MY GOD. THIS IS TOO SAD! This is not what I need to be watching tonight given all the other horrible sadness in the world going on. 

They should have broadcast a rerun of Penny or something.

James K was on earlier today.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

If people just restricted their grocery shopping to once a week, the stores would have a chance to restock, The goods are there, they just keep going fast because people are panic shopping. I am guilty of this too. I am stocked up for two weeks now and I don't plan on going back until April.

My grocery store was 24/7 and is now 8 - 8, for restocking & disinfecting. They also have 'senior' hour from 7 - 8 am. Pregnant women, immune compromised, & disabled can come as well and things are less likely to be out of stock. 

I went to the senior hour the other day to check it out. It's too early for me (I didn't retire to get up at dawn). I just *needed* some ice cream. I have several months of food, but I'm Mormon and that's what we do. I also get food to last over the winter since our weather can be so bad here. I stocked up in October, with last year's Polar vortex in mind, but this as been a mild winter, so I still have most of my stuff. I also buy paper goods 6 months at a time, so no running around looking for toilet paper (who would have thought TP would be an issue?).

I've been knee-deep in reddit for the past couple of weeks and am just heart-broken to see so many people, people w/families, that didn't realize they should have some food laid by and didn't know what to do because now the shops are being stripped bare. Or, people who bought flats of ramen, thinking that's all they needed. No one wants to eat just ramen for 6 weeks. But, when I tell my friends they should have a little spare food & household items around, maybe not LDS levels, but something, I'm the bad guy. OK.

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

If people just restricted their grocery shopping to once a week, the stores would have a chance to restock, The goods are there, they just keep going fast because people are panic shopping. I am guilty of this too. I am stocked up for two weeks now and I don't plan on going back until April.

I'm frankly terrified of having to go grocery shopping again (last went last Monday and it feels like such a long time...). Actually I'm just terrified in general.

• Love 3

Crispy honey ginger chicken from a restaurant is his idea of eating healthy.  Attention dudes!!  McDonald's sells salads you know.  And other fast food places sell things like grilled chicken.  Just toss the bun.  These guys don't have a clue.  I have to wonder if they ever cooked a meal in their lives.  And they're homeless with nothing to do, yet the lines were too long at the welfare office, and they just couldn't get back there yet before they close.  WTF.  And despite the great Houston job market, nope just couldn't get that done either.  I'm sticking with my original diagnosis.  L A Z Y

Edited by Snarkastikate
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Callaphera said:

Street bougie. Or like living in Portland. 

OK...I actually know someone who, despite an education and excellent health, decided to live in a van down by the river...in Portland! 😂

• LOL 3
Just now, Leilani said:

Homeless but eating brioche bun sandwhiches is kinda fancy.

well, I guess if that was the one thing they ate all day and they walked some, they might lose a few pounds.  I wish they had put James on the scale, too;  he got really pouty faced when Dr Now told him to lose.   I wonder if James lost the same amount as Dr Now asked Dominic to lose if Dr Now would do surgery on James as well.  Another twofer.   It would be ironic if James actually lost more.  At least it looks like Dominic can still drive.  

It still cracks me up that Dr Now has the "OPEN" sign;  I have never been to a doctor's office with that.   Maybe it is too encourage people to drop in to inquire about the surgery?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, aliya said:

My grocery store was 24/7 and is now 8 - 8, for restocking & disinfecting. They also have 'senior' hour from 7 - 8 am. Pregnant women, immune compromised, & disabled can come as well and things are less likely to be out of stock. 

I went to the senior hour the other day to check it out. It's too early for me (I didn't retire to get up at dawn). I just *needed* some ice cream. I have several months of food, but I'm Mormon and that's what we do. I also get food to last over the winter since our weather can be so bad here. I stocked up in October, with last year's Polar vortex in mind, but this as been a mild winter, so I still have most of my stuff. I also buy paper goods 6 months at a time, so no running around looking for toilet paper (who would have thought TP would be an issue?).

I've been knee-deep in reddit for the past couple of weeks and am just heart-broken to see so many people, people w/families, that didn't realize they should have some food laid by and didn't know what to do because now the shops are being stripped bare. Or, people who bought flats of ramen, thinking that's all they needed. No one wants to eat just ramen for 6 weeks. But, when I tell my friends they should have a little spare food & household items around, maybe not LDS levels, but something, I'm the bad guy. OK.

And at 8 am, when alcohol sales begin, there is another long line!

• LOL 2
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I'm frankly terrified of having to go grocery shopping again (last went last Monday and it feels like such a long time...). Actually I'm just terrified in general.

Take heart...this too shall pass.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, aliya said:

Im pretty terrified to go grocery shopping because there being crowds. I can barely handle being in a grocery store normally and crowds make me freak out more and might trigger me turning into a lizard again and I dont want to spend of bunch of time locked in a hospital because of it. I want some icecream or something like it so bad.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, fonfereksglen said:

The poor lady at my local packie was having a conniption trying to keep us all six feet apart! I bought four bottles of wine. The guy behind me asked if they had ten Fireball nips! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

The poor lady at my local packie was having a conniption trying to keep us all six feet apart! I bought four bottles of wine. The guy behind me asked if they had ten Fireball nips! 

My girlfriend brought me a whole case of my favorite sauvignon blanc from the Total Wino store.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
Just now, 88Keys said:

He want to help kids who can't read good, and who want to learn to do other things good, too!

And he wants to be, like, less co-dependent with his brother. Or whatever.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

"packie"!  That's how I know you're from the North Shore!  Ha ha!  And I must have seen about 70 nip bottles along the curbs today on my Salem walk. Sigh.

1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

On the positive side, he doesn't have a codependent girlfriend he met on the internet. 

Excellent point!

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Leilani said:

I hope losing weight will get them both out of their arrested development. They act like they were abandoned as children and living out of a car but they were in their 30s when the mother died.  

I get the feeling that mama coddled them after daddy left.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Is there a BINGO slot for "I didn't hit the goal Dr. Now gave me....... but at least I lost (a good amount of) weight BUT................ I should have lost more AND.............. I just don't know what happened." Okay, so maybe that's two or three BINGO slots but seriously this is in every episode.

I always know when I screw up while dieting and I ain't constantly surprised that I haven't lost weight when I do. Geez.

***** Now, I gotta find a brick wall to pound my head into. *****

Aww, it's Dr. Paradise. Can't believe their dad might be in Houston.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Twopper said:

well, I guess if that was the one thing they ate all day and they walked some, they might lose a few pounds.  I wish they had put James on the scale, too;  he got really pouty faced when Dr Now told him to lose.   I wonder if James lost the same amount as Dr Now asked Dominic to lose if Dr Now would do surgery on James as well.  Another twofer.   It would be ironic if James actually lost more.  At least it looks like Dominic can still drive.  

It still cracks me up that Dr Now has the "OPEN" sign;  I have never been to a doctor's office with that.   Maybe it is too encourage people to drop in to inquire about the surgery?

Looking at James, seated next to Dominic, I'd say it looks like he's at least 500 lbs himself.

4 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

That's when I'm glad I live in Iowa and in a smallish town. We just don't have those issues. That said, my town is ground zero for the virus in Iowa (a big tour group got it all at once, and then it went community-wide). So, I don't think a lot of people would crowd together now if they could help it.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

He want to help kids who can't read good, and who want to learn to do other things good, too!

I actually like that. He has a long way to go, but he is thinking about how to help someone else. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Suzywriter said:

I get the feeling that mama coddled them after daddy left.

She didn't coddle them enough if they were both molested and could never tell her and now homeless.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Suzywriter said:

I actually like that. He has a long way to go, but he is thinking about how to help someone else. 

I'm suddenly realizing I'm the only one here who has seen "Zoolander."

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

*GROAN* Is that Bjork singing in that Downey commercial?

Welcome to feeling old. There is a Walmart commercial with 'Rocketman', and some kind of medication with 'Go your own way'. So much for My Generation.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5