Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E12: Robyn vs. Kody

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, crimson23 said:

They also neglect to realize all that money they have been wasting on rent.  Weren't they paying about 10K a month between Meri's and Robyns high priced rentals? its insane

The reality is that if they mortgage $667,000 on Robyn's house (that was purchased for $890,000) they pay around $3,400 a month for the principle and interest.  They also owe about $500 month for property taxes and maybe another $200 a month for homeowners insurance.  That's $4,100 total.  They were paying $3,500 a month in rent. 

The $900 they are paying down in principle each month on their mortgage makes up for some of that difference.  BUT they have to stay in the home long enough for the house to grow in value to cover the 6% realtor fees they will pay to sell it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

This presumes that you believe her premise -- that she doesn't want to buy because it will have a detrimental effect on the family's future ability to be together -- and that she was unselfishly putting the needs of the family first by wanting a rental so as not to tie up the money.  I think I am not alone here in not buying that for a second.  I think she wanted a big ol' house all along, all to herself, and used her Machiavellian stealth to get exactly what she wanted while making it look like she was 'sacrificing' in reluctantly acquiescing to live in an almost $1M home. 

I agree.  It is also why last week she told Meri that she can choose whichever property she wants and Robyn will take whatever's left.  Trying to sound magnanimous to viewers, but knowing it ain't gonna happen. Robyn doth protest too much and isn't as good an actress as she thinks she is.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 19
11 hours ago, eskimo said:

Not only did we have to hear Kody and Robyn endlessly repeat themselves about having to move and buying vs. renting, but we also had to listen to Christine and Aspyn and Jenelle and Maddy discuss it during their visits.  Fun.  Do the editors think we can't retain anything?  I fell asleep twice.  

The  editors think that if Robyn, Kody and the rest of his harem keep repeating ad infinitum Kody wants to buy and Robyn doesn't want to buy we will all give up and believe it.

• LOL 8
  • Love 6

On 3/23/2020 at 7:41 AM, ginger90 said:

5F7BDA46-0BB7-4018-8928-5C8234B099A9.jpeg

Only want to comment on the third tweet, but can't get rid of the first two...so they bought the land hoping that their kids would choose to build houses in an area where the kids have no roots, is more expensive than many parts of the country, and farther away from other family members and friends?  Do they think that their kids went to the Kody-and-Wives School of Decision Making?

• LOL 12
  • Love 7
On 3/24/2020 at 12:56 PM, Alapaki said:

This is a delayed reaction from a few episodes ago, but the show's moving at the speed of molasses, so why not me too?

So Kody looks at a hole in the ground that doesn't retain water, and instead of realizing IT'S NOT A POND IT'S A FUCKING DITCH THAT SOMETIMES RUNOFF RUNS INTO, he decides that it's just one of those special ponds that needs to "be lined" to hold water.  

This fucking guy.

On 3/24/2020 at 1:18 PM, Sandy W said:

Only Kody and Krew would have the audacity to think that they could interfere with an environmental retention pond to suit their ill-conceived idea of a water feature.  

Well...the "professional" Realtor TOLD them when Kody and Meri were first looking at the property that it was a pond and they could line it and then stock fish.

• LOL 4
17 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Well...the "professional" Realtor TOLD them when Kody and Meri were first looking at the property that it was a pond and they could line it and then stock fish.

Funny how they hear only what they want to.  She also told them that the soil was contaminated with Bubonic Plague and not to let the kids play in it.  They bought it anyhow.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, waterytart said:

Do we know for sure that the property they bought is on a flood plain? Retention ponds are on pretty much all new construction here, and the vast majority of them aren't prone to flooding.

I'm pretty sure it came up on the last episode when Kody himself was talking about the challenges they would have preparing the site for building.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, waterytart said:

Do we know for sure that the property they bought is on a flood plain? Retention ponds are on pretty much all new construction here, and the vast majority of them aren't prone to flooding.

Kody admitted it on this episode.  He sorta kinda confessed that he was completely clueless about "developing" the property.  I suspect HE thought that he would just hire a builder and they would take care of the utilities, much like he did in Vegas, when all the utilities and surveys and planning needs to be done, and approved of by local authorities before a builder can come in and actually...build.

• Useful 3
  • Love 12
15 hours ago, eskimo said:

Not only did we have to hear Kody and Robyn endlessly repeat themselves about having to move and buying vs. renting, but we also had to listen to Christine and Aspyn and Jenelle and Maddy discuss it during their visits.  Fun.  Do the editors think we can't retain anything?  I fell asleep twice.  

Right!! I hate the repetition.  I get bored.  I think Robyn is a broken record. 

• Love 4

I just went back and re-read the thread for last-season's episode when they bought the Plague Prairie.  Amazing (not really) how prescient we all were about what a ridiculous idea it was/is.

I'm thinking more and more that TLC fronted the money for at least the down-payment and wrote it off as part of the casts' compensation.  

Kody was talking about only putting down 10%.  Which, if true, means that somebody is owed 90% of the sale price.  I just can't understand where that money is coming from.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, SongbirdHollow said:

They need to realize that their new compound will not be built before most of the kids are grown and gone. 

You mean like never? 

I bet the dump it the first chance they find some other patsy which we will know all about as soon as it happens.  then they will film a whole season of agonizing on whether or not to sell it - with lots of histrionics from the group.  They really do think we're stupid.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

I just went back and re-read the thread for last-season's episode when they bought the Plague Prairie.  Amazing (not really) how prescient we all were about what a ridiculous idea it was/is.

I'm thinking more and more that TLC fronted the money for at least the down-payment and wrote it off as part of the casts' compensation.  

Kody was talking about only putting down 10%.  Which, if true, means that somebody is owed 90% of the sale price.  I just can't understand where that money is coming from.

Someone here posted the figures from the titles office shortly after they purchased the lots.  IIRC, they paid cash for one of the lots and put a very large down payment on another.  The numbers surprised me because at the time of purchase, I don't think any of the LV houses had sold. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

They paid cash for two lots and mortgaged the other two.

I've been trying to track this down.  As far as I can see they bought the 4 Coyote Pass lots - 2 for $170,000 and 1 for $180,000 and 1 for $300,000 (this must be the bigger "tree" lot).  It seems they mortgaged the cheaper 2 lots for $146,200 each and paid for the 2 expensive lots ($300,000 and $180,000).  To do this they would have had to come up with $527,600 cash, which amazes me.  This was BEFORE they sold the Las Vegas houses, so maybe that was their life savings?

• Useful 6
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, smarty2020 said:

so maybe that was their life savings?

I have long suspected they cashed out the equity in the LV homes to pay for the land. Kody was convinced they would get top dollar out of the homes, selling them quickly. They could then pay off the equity loans. But they ended up sitting on the homes for up to a year and did not get their asking price. I seriously doubt they have any savings, so maybe an advance on the season? They may have agreed to the Coyote Pass property story line if they got some money up front.

I am curious about where they came up with $222,000 cash as a down payment on Robyn's new home and adjacent property. I also wonder which wife will build on that property, Meri or Janelle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Galloway Cave said:

I am curious about where they came up with $222,000 cash as a down payment on Robyn's new home and adjacent property. I also wonder which wife will build on that property, Meri or Janelle.

No wife will build on that property.  Robyn will want it to remain empty.  Why would she want a wife that close when she has Kody all to herself?

• Love 12
23 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

No wife will build on that property.  Robyn will want it to remain empty.  Why would she want a wife that close when she has Kody all to herself?

True. So it's either for one or more of her kids, or just speculation.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, smarty2020 said:

I think they will build Janelle a house on that adjoining acreage.  A smaller house...MUCH smaller.....

That is reasonable.  Gabe & Savannah will escape as soon as they are able and Janelle will stay on her La-Z-Boy or drive down the road to take photos of telephone poles, with little or no interaction with Sobyn.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, deirdra said:
8 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

I think they will build Janelle a house on that adjoining acreage.  A smaller house...MUCH smaller.....

That is reasonable.  Gabe & Savannah will escape as soon as they are able and Janelle will stay on her La-Z-Boy or drive down the road to take photos of telephone poles, with little or no interaction with Sobyn.

I say you are both wrong.  They MIGHT stuff Janelle into a small camping trailer on the property, but that's it.

Edited by Kyanight
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2

It's ironic that the two wives that have spawned six kids each, and have never had a legal marriage with that dolt, are the most loyal and cause Kootie the least trouble.  I hate him for that, all by itself.

Mr. Asshat is a giant pain in the ass, and appreciates nothing that Janelle and Christine do for him.  He deserves all of the grief (and then some) that Meri and Robyn cause him (and I can't stand those two women, either.)

• Love 23
23 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

It's ironic that the two wives that have spawned six kids each, and have never had a legal marriage with that dolt, are the most loyal and cause Kootie the least trouble.  I hate him for that, all by itself.

Mr. Asshat is a giant pain in the ass, and appreciates nothing that Janelle and Christine do for him.  He deserves all of the grief (and then some) that Meri and Robyn cause him (and I can't stand those two women, either.)

I imagine what really upsets Kody is that his oldest boys have run off and have no interest in being around that mess.  I'm sure having athletic sons who excelled at wrestling just as he had boosted his ego, but those days are over.  Did Gabe even participate in wrestling in Flagstaff?  I bet he quit.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Totally. Janelle doesn't appear to care but after Robyn's original 3 are over 18, he should divorce her and marry the long suffering Christine. As it is now, Christine would literally get nothing if he died now. She is legally nothing to him.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Chris Knight said:

Totally. Janelle doesn't appear to care but after Robyn's original 3 are over 18, he should divorce her and marry the long suffering Christine. As it is now, Christine would literally get nothing if he died now. She is legally nothing to him.

Not just legally nothing.

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, Chris Knight said:

I can't feel sorry for any of these women. They chose to be his concubines. 

The kids, yeah, but the women, no. 

I cheer for Logan, Hunter, Garrison, Paedon, who have pretty much extracated themselves from the Reality Circus. The girls, however, seem to be stuck. 

• Love 12
On 3/23/2020 at 12:09 AM, Lady of nod said:

If they all weren't so goddamned entitled and selfish and really wanted to be together they could have plunked down some double wides till they could afford to build.

I thought the same thing and then a lightbulb went off and now I wonder if zoning in Coyote Pass doesn't allow mobile or modular homes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, rayndon said:

I thought the same thing and then a lightbulb went off and now I wonder if zoning in Coyote Pass doesn't allow mobile or modular homes.

Of course Kootie didn't look into that either.  If they are going to pay to bring in utilities, what they really should have bought is a property outside of town, where they could build or squat in anything they want.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, rayndon said:

Possibly true, but zoning laws probably wouldn't allow one huge house designed for four wives either.  Kody doesn't care about zoning laws.  Kody wants what Kody wants.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Chris Knight said:

Christine and Janelle are idiots who signed up for an idiotic situation.  All the wives should be on equal footing as much as possible, which means there should NEVER be a legal wife.  Even if the "husband" doesn't treat the legal one as the favorite, a marriage certificate gives her several legal rights and privileges that the mistresses/girlfriends will never have. 

They made seriously bad decisions when they elected to live this lifestyle.  I can't say I will have any sympathy for either of them if they end up in a bad situation later in life because they can't legally get any kind of support or benefits from their time with Kootie.  

• Love 14
32 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

Even if the "husband" doesn't treat the legal one as the favorite, a marriage certificate gives her several legal rights and privileges that the mistresses/girlfriends will never have. 

I can't tell you how many first wives got married thinking they would be the only wife.

• Love 9
On 3/25/2020 at 8:33 AM, smarty2020 said:

The reality is that if they mortgage $667,000 on Robyn's house (that was purchased for $890,000) they pay around $3,400 a month for the principle and interest.  They also owe about $500 month for property taxes and maybe another $200 a month for homeowners insurance.  That's $4,100 total.  They were paying $3,500 a month in rent. 

The $900 they are paying down in principle each month on their mortgage makes up for some of that difference.  BUT they have to stay in the home long enough for the house to grow in value to cover the 6% realtor fees they will pay to sell it.

Yes, and I am assuming the 2 year home ownership or big tax penalties rule applies here.  And if they turn it into a rental, their primary residence mortgage rules don’t apply.  

• Useful 3

I have decided each season they pick a wife to carry the show!  

We had Janelle's weight loss season.  Meri's Sam season that lasted two years and now we have Robyn who sucks at playing the role of God will provide a rental!

That's how they roll!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Christine and Janelle are idiots who signed up for an idiotic situation.  All the wives should be on equal footing as much as possible, which means there should NEVER be a legal wife.  Even if the "husband" doesn't treat the legal one as the favorite, a marriage certificate gives her several legal rights and privileges that the mistresses/girlfriends will never have. 

I would worry less about the marriage certificate, and more about financial independence. What can Christine do for money if she walks away from Kody?? The only good thing a legal marriage entitles them to is alimony. That's it. 

The 7-bedroom house is hysterical. They are such assholes. There were plenty of 4 bedroom rentals that would suit them if the situation was really just temporary. But it seems obvious that Coyote Pass is just dead weight they won't be able to sell. Didn't the seller have to legally disclose issues with the property like it being a flood plain?

I like Aspyn. I really hope she doesn't agree to be a plural wife. 

• Love 11
44 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

She may not have a choice. If god "tells" her husband to a look for #2, will she have a say in the matter? 

Deferring to @Kyanight for an answer.

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

I would worry less about the marriage certificate, and more about financial independence. What can Christine do for money if she walks away from Kody?? The only good thing a legal marriage entitles them to is alimony. That's it. 

The 7-bedroom house is hysterical. They are such assholes. There were plenty of 4 bedroom rentals that would suit them if the situation was really just temporary. But it seems obvious that Coyote Pass is just dead weight they won't be able to sell. Didn't the seller have to legally disclose issues with the property like it being a flood plain?

If I were Christine ( or any of the other non legal wives) I’d want to be a beneficiary of a life insurance policy on Kody. At least if he dies, they could get something— as well as keeping his/Robyn’s name off off any property I lived in.

• Love 16
29 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

She may not have a choice. If god "tells" her husband to a look for #2, will she have a say in the matter? 

Deferring to @Kyanight for an answer.

She could say yes or leave, but when you are in love with your husband, the second option is tough.  Plus they don't usually suggest it until you have AT LEAST one or more babies.  You can say no and if your guy is easy going that might be the end of it - but I would be willing to bet it will come up repeatedly in the future.

My husband didn't care that I said "no".

Aspyn seems very quiet and somewhat meek, and willing to please.  With this couple I think time will tell.   My opinion?  If Mitch wants it - it will happen.  Right now Aspyn is still new and fresh.... give it a few years.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, deirdra said:

Of course Kootie didn't look into that either.  If they are going to pay to bring in utilities, what they really should have bought is a property outside of town, where they could build or squat in anything they want.

Just because it's outside of town doesn't mean there are not rules and regs. about what you can and can't do.  My brother owned property about 20 miles from the nearest town.  No mobile homes of any type were allowed.  The cost of running electric and drilling a well, changed their mind about retiring there.  But they did double the price of the property when they sold it.  So they were able to pay off the loan and have enough left to purchase another one with a large down payment.  Then when they sell the current house they are living in they will be able to pay off the new one.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Just because it's outside of town doesn't mean there are not rules and regs. about what you can and can't do.  My brother owned property about 20 miles from the nearest town.  No mobile homes of any type were allowed.  The cost of running electric and drilling a well, changed their mind about retiring there.  But they did double the price of the property when they sold it.  So they were able to pay off the loan and have enough left to purchase another one with a large down payment.  Then when they sell the current house they are living in they will be able to pay off the new one.

Kody and family bought the Coyote Pass lots F, G, H, and J.  They paid $170,000 to $180,000 for each lot.  Currently lots A, B, C and D right next to them are for sale for $235,000, $225,000, $235,000 and $230,000.  I would guess Kody is expecting he's made around $50,000 appreciation on each lot.  

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Just because it's outside of town doesn't mean there are not rules and regs.

Just you are polygamists doesn't mean that there are not rules and regs.

Oh, wait.....persecution.

• LOL 7
On 3/23/2020 at 3:21 PM, Rabbit Hutch said:

Do you think that Robyn has any idea how bad she looked on national t.v.?  She can cover her mcmansion in all of the angel figurines and Bible verses in she likes, but her own words point to her low character. I actually felt sorry for Kody, as Robyn tried to force him to verbally agree to screwing a potential seller, and how he struggled to not go there. 

I'd think, IF they had backed out of the house deal and the seller had given them back their earnest money and then had watched this episode and heard Robyn & Koduche talking about screwing him out of the money, that he'd have a pretty good lawsuit against them.  Didn't happen, so it doesn't make any difference, but I can dream, can't I?  Lol

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, rayndon said:

I'd think, IF they had backed out of the house deal and the seller had given them back their earnest money and then had watched this episode and heard Robyn & Koduche talking about screwing him out of the money, that he'd have a pretty good lawsuit against them.  Didn't happen, so it doesn't make any difference, but I can dream, can't I?  Lol

Didn't happen because Robyn wanted to purchase a million-dollar house the whole time.  But didn't want to look greedy, "quality people" are not greedy people.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

Kody and family bought the Coyote Pass lots F, G, H, and J.  They paid $170,000 to $180,000 for each lot.  Currently lots A, B, C and D right next to them are for sale for $235,000, $225,000, $235,000 and $230,000.  I would guess Kody is expecting he's made around $50,000 appreciation on each lot.  

How long have those other lots been on the market?  

• Love 1