Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E19: Hurt

• Start Topic

The city of San Jose is rocked by a massive earthquake that puts the staff of St. Bonaventure Hospital on high alert as they race to assess the damage and account for the safety of their colleagues and friends. Meanwhile, Dr. Neil Melendez and Dr. Aaron Glassman are attending a charity event when their lives are threatened by the earthquake.

Written by Liz Friedman and Adam Scott Weissman, and directed by Mike Listo.

Airdate: March 23, 2020

319_the-good-doctor_photo14.jpg

Of course they'd end on an aftershock and more danger! Of course. Wonder what the deal is with Melendez, then? 

Ooh, go, Claire with that solution to help Marta :)! That's a Shaun-esque idea, right there. She'd better make it through the second hour of this finale okay. I want her and Noreen to go on and live many happy years together. 

Morgan doing surgery despite everything, eh? Why do I fear that's going to backfire somehow? I get desperate times and all that, but...

Nice to see Steve pop up, and give Shaun a much needed dose of reality. Now if only he can take that advice... I like his interaction with that woman he's stuck with, though. I hope she can help continue to talk some sense into him as well (you know, when they're not worrying about the water, that is).

Obvious parallels with Park's son aside, I want that kid to make it, too. It doesn't look likely, but damnit, I'll take a miracle. I liked Park regaling him with stories of his own rebellious youth :D. 

Bring on next week!

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 16

Who could have guessed that a guy who had a beam fall on his head may have a brain injury? Certainly not a room full of doctors! Good thing Melendez performed the surgery before he booted everywhere. 

Why are there only 8 doctors in the whole hospital? There are doctors who specialize in trauma, right? Running an ER should not fall on a surgical resident. Morgan running that ER was nonsensical. 

Also nonsensical, bringing Shaun, who constantly has outbursts and has behaving wildly unprofessionally and unpredictability to the site. One speech (that was bs anyhow. Shaun can choose to be that person without Lea) does not make up for Shaun finding a person trapped under rubble and then walking away because that person wasn’t Lea. Fuck him. If this ends with Lea falling into his arms, that might break my brain.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, vibeology said:

If this ends with Lea falling into his arms, that might break my brain.

If I've learned anything from watching tv all these years it's that all problems are solved by surviving life threatening situations. At least until sweeps. (Are sweeps still a thing?)

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Yeah, as soon as Melendez started coughing right after the initial quake, I was like "Oh, his injuries are so much worse than he thinks!" about that, so him collapsing at the end was not a surprise.  At least it happened around Claire, who certainly seems to be on point in this episode (or, really, most episodes.)  Using beer equipment for blood transfusions?  Well done, Claire!

The predicament of Park's patient automatically makes me think of the Homicide: Life on the Street episode "Subway", where a character played by Vincent D'Onofrio is pinned in between a subway train and the platform, and will die once he is removed, so Pembleton and Bayliss had to solve the case before that.  So, it certainly does not look good for the kid right now, but at least Park has some kind of "one in a hundred" idea that Lim is willing to roll with for now.  No matter the outcome though, I suspect this is basically a set-up to delve more into Park's ongoing issues with his son.

I guess I was suppose to find it amusing that Reznick knew the nurses were going to hate her while in charge, so she allowed them to call her a "bitch" and get it all out, but it was just another case of Reznick allowing herself to be a jerk just for the hell of it.  At least Nurse Deena (I think.  The one played by Karin Konoval) made her eat crow with the pregnancy bit.  But now Reznick is going to perform surgery after everything?  Hmm...

As for Shaun.... sigh.  Of course, he goes off and does his own thing once he hears that Lea was there (did you really need to tell him that, Glassman?), and will probably not suffer any real consequences, because Lim is suddenly becoming more lenient again, compared to how she was earlier this season.  And, yep, that big speech to the victim that Lea overheard is probably going to make her see "the error of her ways", and give Shaun a chance.  Way to reward bad behavior, show.  I don't mind Shaun being flawed, making mistakes, and even being a jerk at times, but this really is feeling like handling him with kid gloves, and having everything go his way.  Maybe they'll surprise me next week, but I ain't holding my breath on that.

Surprise, surprise: no Carly again.  Because once they pulled the trigger on Shaun/Lea, Carly became irrelevant.  Poor Jasika Nicole.

To not end things on a sour note: the entire cast was on point again and all delivered acting-wise.  This really might be one of my favorite ensembles on television right now (and Freddie Highmore is one of the best leads, even when I'm not happy with how Shaun is being written.)

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 15

Was I the only one disappointed Lea wasn't dead? Ah well.

I actually loved the moment of Shaun alerting the responders to someone being trapped who wasn't Lea. Like with Noreen, he has a specific talent for noticing, seeing and hearing things others don't. In a way I think he was more useful as a floating utility than as a regular doctor. His spacial reasoning is so finely tuned that he was probably better in more of a triage role at the disaster site.

And while yes, he should not have disobeyed orders to go looking for Lea, I don't think it'll be held against him. I mean if anything knowing Lea was on site they should never have brought Shaun, it's a clear conflict of interest. And it's not realistic to expect someone to just not try to go after their nearest and dearest first. Anyway he found Vera, who would have died without him once that aftershock hit (if she makes it through the next episode, that is).

(Man I hope I got everyones' names right).

• Love 14

Am I a terrible person for hoping that Lea died in the earthquake? Even that depressed kid is worth more.

Glassman should not have told Shaun that Lea was there because knowing Shaun he would not have followed orders but gone looking for her. As he did. So Shaun basically failed to do what he was supposed to do but he'll be forgiven because he saved Vera. And he'll end up with Lea after she heard that speech because I don't trust this show at all to go beyond them as a fantasy of star-crossed lovers.

Claire handled examining Melendez very professionally.(You go, girl) and then came up with the idea of how to jury rig a blood-saver. I love the idea of sterilizing it with alcohol since now so many distillers have moved to making hand sanitizers.

I loved the older nurse wordlessly giving her opinion of Morgan and her dismissal of listening to the patient. Typical for a surgeon, as is the nurses' reactions.

Park's story with the kid is sad.

Overall not a bad episode for a bottle (pun intended) disaster episode. Except for Lea and Shaun about to run into each other's arms. The professionalism of Claire and Melendez is a nice contrast.

• Love 15
23 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

The predicament of Park's patient automatically makes me think of the Homicide: Life on the Street episode "Subway", where a character played by Vincent D'Onofrio is pinned in between a subway train and the platform, and will die once he is removed, so Pembleton and Bayliss had to solve the case before that

I remember that episode!  I wonder if that was modeled after the real-life story that a cop relayed to a cabdriver in "Taxicab Confessions" WAAYY back in the day!

Also, speaking of waayy back in the day, I remember I was SOOO in love with this woman in college but she friend-zoned me.  I held out hope that she would change her mind and years later she did but by that time I was just over it.  I hope that happens here.  Lea professes her love after Sean gets out but instead he hooks up with Vera since they just had such an intense experience underground.  (It ain't going to happen; but a boy can dream, can't he?)

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Wonder what the deal is with Melendez, then?

TV medicine has taught me a ruptured spleen.

(Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, pure conjecture)

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Zoe said:

LOL. Yeah, that would make sense. Some kind of internal bleeding or something like that. 

24 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

Lea professes her love after Sean gets out but instead he hooks up with Vera since they just had such an intense experience underground.  (It ain't going to happen; but a boy can dream, can't he?)

I actually briefly wondered if they'd do that with him and Vera, too. 

It'd be great if they went against expectations and had it where Lea was concerned about Shaun because she still cares about him as a friend, and once he's out and they reunite, they decide not to pursue a relationship, but rather, choose to work on mending their friendship instead. I'd be okay with that. 

Course, I'm not putting it past the show to put Lea in life-threatening danger next episode, should they get another violent aftershock or something. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Of course they'd end on an aftershock and more danger! Of course. Wonder what the deal is with Melendez, then? 

Ooh, go, Claire with that solution to help Marta :)! That's a Shaun-esque idea, right there. She'd better make it through the second hour of this finale okay. I want her and Noreen to go on and live many happy years together. 

Morgan doing surgery despite everything, eh? Why do I fear that's going to backfire somehow? I get desperate times and all that, but...

Nice to see Steve pop up, and give Shaun a much needed dose of reality. Now if only he can take that advice... I like his interaction with that woman he's stuck with, though. I hope she can help continue to talk some sense into him as well (you know, when they're not worrying about the water, that is).

Obvious parallels with Park's son aside, I want that kid to make it, too. It doesn't look likely, but damnit, I'll take a miracle. I liked Park regaling him with stories of his own rebellious youth :D. 

Bring on next week!

My guess with Melendez is the spleen - that bruise is right near the spleen, so maybe he tore it instead of just having it burst (Well, it probably burst at the end there).

I don't think Morgan would have been able to use her hands 48 hours after the surgery. It would have been better for her to literally tell the nurses what to do to stabilize the lady until they could get a surgeon who can do surgery in there - I mean, on these shows, clamps seem like magic, so maybe just clamp down everything? 😛

I also want that kid to make it

2 hours ago, vibeology said:

Who could have guessed that a guy who had a beam fall on his head may have a brain injury? Certainly not a room full of doctors! Good thing Melendez performed the surgery before he booted everywhere. 

Why are there only 8 doctors in the whole hospital? There are doctors who specialize in trauma, right? Running an ER should not fall on a surgical resident. Morgan running that ER was nonsensical. 

Also nonsensical, bringing Shaun, who constantly has outbursts and has behaving wildly unprofessionally and unpredictability to the site. One speech (that was bs anyhow. Shaun can choose to be that person without Lea) does not make up for Shaun finding a person trapped under rubble and then walking away because that person wasn’t Lea. Fuck him. If this ends with Lea falling into his arms, that might break my brain.

Yeaaah, 8 doctors in the whole hospital was just like... "what" - they could've even had like a psychiatrist run the ER to have a doctor in charge - sure, they might not know as much as a surgeon or an ER doctor, but they are at least a doctor and not a resident! They could've even had Resnick work with the doctor (who they would have painted as incompetent, of course), then rebel at some point. Drama!

Now if Morgan had called Melendez back, and had Claire stay behind to help - then Melendez collapsed on the way to the ER, that would be a *bit* more believable.

Bringing Shaun was definitely an odd choice - he would have been a good one to keep behind, since he could always tap in and help with surgery in the event of something reallllly bad (like all of the surgeons being occupied with surgeries)

1 hour ago, Zoe said:

Spleen is my thought too! I get mine checked out every 2 weeks (Yay, splenomegaly due to cancer!) and that is right around the spot they palpate every time! Also in that area is the kidney.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, vibeology said:

One speech (that was bs anyhow. Shaun can choose to be that person without Lea) does not make up for Shaun finding a person trapped under rubble and then walking away because that person wasn’t Lea.

That was my thought, too — if he can be that person around Lea, he is capable of being that person, Lea or no Lea.

• Love 12

Why do I have this feeling the person dying is  Glassman? The classic misdirect. Have viewers focused on Melendez and Shaun/Vera, but Glassman is the one that collapses and dies in the end? 

I think this whole thing leads to declaration between Melendez/Claire and hopefully Shaun/Lea  just mend their friendship..or Lea goes back inside and somehow drowns saving Shaun? A girl can dream and hope. I mean Vera and the teenager are more valuable at this point.

Edited by CheetaraThunder
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Yep. I pretty much figured out everything that was going to happen in this episode.

Shaun will be just fine. This is all for show just to get Lea to give in to Shaun's demands of her becoming his girlfriend and she'll state that she loves him and that she doesn't want to lose him. Cue Shaun being fine and they'll get together next week. Honestly, at this point, they've been dragging out this Lea/Shaun romance for three seasons. They hinted at it in season 1 and then DRAAAAAAGGGGGGED it out throughout the last few seasons without barely a mention of Lea's feelings. 

So, at this point, just put them together and let's get it over with. I'm not interested in another season of dragging out Shaun/Lea. If this gets Shaun to shut the fuck up about Lea as well (it won't, but a girl can dream), then just do it already. But I just hate that Shaun will get his way by whining enough about it. And I also hate that the show already set it up through Lea not saying no, I don't like you...but no, I'm broken and you're autistic and these are merely excuses until we actually get together. It would have been fine if Lea just didn't want to date him at all. 

Melendez collapses? Who could have seen that coming? Oh wait, me, after they established that he was hurt and he was supposed to get a full workup but then didn't. 

That being said, I don't think that any of the people that were in the initial earthquake will die. Glassman might, just because he was shown to be perfectly fine and got no workup either and got to do surgeries. But otherwise, I think it could be Morgan. Maybe she causes an infection in her hands by taking off the bandages. 

Also, please. There's no way Andrews was the only possible doctor to run trauma in that whole hospital. No way would Morgan even be considered. 

Park's case was sad, but I've also seen it a ton of times before. I just don't think he's going to be able to save that kid, no matter how hard he tries.   

Claire gets a win by figuring out how to filter blood back into the woman's body! Yay!

Overall, not that impressive of an episode to me, but we'll see how the finale goes. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yep. I pretty much figured out everything that was going to happen in this episode.

Shaun will be just fine. This is all for show just to get Lea to give in to Shaun's demands of her becoming his girlfriend and she'll state that she loves him and that she doesn't want to lose him. Cue Shaun being fine and they'll get together next week. Honestly, at this point, they've been dragging out this Lea/Shaun romance for three seasons. They hinted at it in season 1 and then DRAAAAAAGGGGGGED it out throughout the last few seasons without barely a mention of Lea's feelings. 

So, at this point, just put them together and let's get it over with. I'm not interested in another season of dragging out Shaun/Lea. If this gets Shaun to shut the fuck up about Lea as well (it won't, but a girl can dream), then just do it already. But I just hate that Shaun will get his way by whining enough about it. And I also hate that the show already set it up through Lea not saying no, I don't like you...but no, I'm broken and you're autistic and these are merely excuses until we actually get together. It would have been fine if Lea just didn't want to date him at all. 

Melendez collapses? Who could have seen that coming? Oh wait, me, after they established that he was hurt and he was supposed to get a full workup but then didn't. 

That being said, I don't think that any of the people that were in the initial earthquake will die. Glassman might, just because he was shown to be perfectly fine and got no workup either and got to do surgeries. But otherwise, I think it could be Morgan. Maybe she causes an infection in her hands by taking off the bandages. 

Also, please. There's no way Andrews was the only possible doctor to run trauma in that whole hospital. No way would Morgan even be considered. 

Park's case was sad, but I've also seen it a ton of times before. I just don't think he's going to be able to save that kid, no matter how hard he tries.   

Claire gets a win by figuring out how to filter blood back into the woman's body! Yay!

Overall, not that impressive of an episode to me, but we'll see how the finale goes. 

Everything you said about Shaun/Lea is me 💯...I was fine with Lea not returning the feelings (not with her bringing up his autism), but it’s fine that Shaun can have girls that are just his friends. But, now they are going to have them together out of pity. Why not surprise us and have Vera (the blonde he was treating) as a new love interest? She is wayyy more interesting.

Edited by CheetaraThunder
  • Love 5

What a hot mess of an episode...a not very good mish-mosh of Grey's Anatomy (impaled patients-been there... done that) and ER (people dying, impaired doctors working and then at the end we get the water coming in like the tunnel episode in Clooney's farewell), with the casual drop of House, all with cheap looking sets and, in something unusual for this show, bad acting-that scene with Melendez, Lea, Dr. Toby and the wife was horribly acted.

Maybe I'm in a bad mood due to the quarantine, but nope, not for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

hopefully Shaun/Alexa just mend their friendship..

Who's Alexa? (And no, I can't ask her because I refuse to give Amazon any more money or compromise my privacy any more than it already is.)

• LOL 2

This appears to be the Grey's Anatomy version of The Good Doctor, in which people and circumstances become Stupid For Plot:

1. Lea just happens to be at the fundraiser, taking Glassman's invitation without telling him because she's had 'a rough week' (self-centred) so that she can be put into danger and hear Shaun's speech;
  2. Shaun is taken to the earthquake site in spite of the fact that it's well established that he doesn't do well in crisis situations, or even any out of the norm situation;
  3. Shaun is stuck with a patient who mirrors his own life issues to talk them out with her and come to a realization;
  4. Park is stuck with a patient who mirrors his own life issues so that he can come to a realization;
  5. There are no other doctors in the hospital. Not just no ER doctors who should be the ones in the ER running the patients who come in, or OB doctors who could take over the care of the ectopic pregnancy woman, or Any. Other. Surgeons. in the whole hospital who could be called in for an emergency so that Renick had to run the ER and risk her hands to do surgery too soon. Will she be permanently impaired because using her hands too soon?;
  6. Because of that lack of doctors (eyeroll), Glassman not only has to put his dislocated should back in himself (he's Oliver Queen!) but does surgery for the first time since his brain surgery;  Will he be permanently impaired from his shoulder not being immobilized?
  7. Melendez is injured so that he can be at risk in the next episode with both Lim and Claire to worry about him.

I forgot about the water rushing in to where Shaun was until I came here. It's just so obvious that nothing is going to happen to Shaun. I am concerned for Vera though, anyone getting between Shaun and Lea is done for.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

I'm totally on the Vera bandwagon. I loved how instantly she objected to the idea that his autism is a reason not to date him. And she's self-aware, and honest, and smart. She kept her cool during a really horrible situation where most people (including another patient this episode) would be panicky and self-absorbed (i.e. the guy who Glassman had to yell at to stay still).

I would love it if Shaun realizes he doesn't need Lea to make him into the person he wants to be, Lea apologizes for being an asshole about throwing his autism in his face and also giving him mixed messages but does not change her mind about dating him and tells him if he ever physically threatens her again she will not forgive and forget, Shaun and Vera have a wild and satisfying fling,  everyone stops being a butthead, and the show does not bore and insult me with the story we all fear is actually happening per tv usual bullshit.

How do you even scrub in with fresh sutures all over your hands? How does Morgan have the mobility and control to do surgery so soon post-op? I agree it would be better to supervise a nurse, or get a consult, or you know hire more doctors. This hospital is clearly grossly understaffed! And they sent ALL their surgeons to do triage in the field at ONE event. The entire city will have collapsed buildings and they have no EMTs or paramedics anywhere in the city? They actually put the handful of surgeons all in one location outside the hospital, doing triage!!! Not just the ones who happened to be at the benefit, but they SENT MORE after the fact.

It's not meant to be realistic. I have to keep reminding myself not to look to carefully at any of it.

• Love 11

I can’t stand Reznik. Dr Lim and Claire are good examples of strong assertive women doctors and they are not bitches to the nursing staff. And I would think having someone fresh from their own surgery and with limited mobility operating would be cause for a lawsuit.

I like Lea, Shaun can be a freer version of himself around her and I like seeing that side of him. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

Was I the only one disappointed Lea wasn't dead?

I wasn't proud of myself, but I cheered up when that tower fell on her.  For a moment I dared hope she might be dead, along with this whole insipid storyline.

Of course her and Shaun will end up together, true love always conquers all in movie and TV-land.  First though, we may have the usual detour:  Lea decides she is going to accept Shaun's offer, but when she goes to talk to him, he first tells her that he and Vera are getting together and that it is time he moved on.  Then we'll be treated to Lea pining after Shaun from afar.  Personally, I don't wish this on Vera.  Bad enough Carly had to go through it.

I really think it would be refreshing for a change if they didn't get them together, if they would actually send the message that hey, sometimes you can't always have who you want.

As for killing Shaun off, of course it won't happen.  But I have to admit that would be a really bold stroke.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, rmontro said:

As for killing Shaun off, of course it won't happen.  But I have to admit that would be a really bold stroke.

Then they would have to re-name the show "The Dead Good Doctor"  😉

• LOL 10

The Leah/Shaun thing was so predictable, as was Melendez being hurt. AS soon as I saw him walking in the venue I knew he would get hurt.   I missed a lot of the episode so I don't know about the connection between Park and the young man.  Claire was good throughout, as was Lim from what I saw.   I could lose Shaun, Glassman, Leah and Resnick and not bat an eye.  I stay on the fence about Park.  If they keep Andrews they need to give him more to do. The sign that they will not is they have never followed up on his situation with his wife and having kids....they are not invested in his character, though why they are in Resnick or Leah, I have no idea...

I suspect next year will start with Carly having transferred to another hospital after the episode where they show her with a new boyfriend and so "happy" for Shaun and Leah.....ugh!! 

Maybe if i get really bored I will go back and watch the parts I missed....which was pretty much everything with Shaun, Resnick and Glassman. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, preeya said:

Then they would have to re-name the show "The Dead Good Doctor"  😉

I know you're joking, but there's no reason to rename the show.  The Good Doctor could be anyone - Lim, Melendez, Claire...

I remember when House juggled their cast of supporting doctors.  They could certainly do something similar on this show.  Replacing the lead is not something I would expect.  Maybe Claire would be best suited to replace him.  It would be funny to see her improvise an endless stream of alcoholic devices for medical purposes.

31 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I suspect next year will start with Carly having transferred to another hospital

I'm beginning to wonder if she'll ever even be mentioned again.

By the way, how about those hands of Reznick?  They looked like Bride of Frankenstein hands with all the sutures.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I remember when House juggled their cast of supporting doctors.  They could certainly do something similar on this show.

No, I'd even take Shaun and Lea as a couple over that.

Replacing the original three different personalities of the fellows with three cynical version of House was the point that it lost me. Melendez, Claire and Park are what's keeping me watching this show.  Lose two of them and I'm gone.

This idea that the show could lose Shaun and still go on demonstrates just how badly they have written him this season.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

No, I'd even take Shaun and Lea as a couple over that.

Replacing the original three different personalities of the fellows with three cynical version of House was the point that it lost me. Melendez, Claire and Park are what's keeping me watching this show.  Lose two of them and I'm gone.

This idea that the show could lose Shaun and still go on demonstrates just how badly they have written him this season.

No I felt that way about him last season too..and probably would have the first but I only came to the show at the end of it. I personally don't think the writing for the character is that great. 

19 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

Why do I have this feeling the person dying is  Glassman? The classic misdirect. Have viewers focused on Melendez and Shaun/Vera, but Glassman is the one that collapses and dies in the end? 

I think this whole thing leads to declaration between Melendez/Claire and hopefully Shaun/Lea  just mend their friendship..or Lea goes back inside and somehow drowns saving Shaun? A girl can dream and hope. I mean Vera and the teenager are more valuable at this point.

Glassman dying would probably just make Shaun catatonic. He shut down when Lea rejected him, but I think Glassman dying would make him have a full blown episode of decompensation for at *least* a month.

I don't want a Melendez-Claire relationship and I also want Shaun & Lea to just be friends.

15 hours ago, statsgirl said:
  1. Because of that lack of doctors (eyeroll), Glassman not only has to put his dislocated should back in himself (he's Oliver Queen!) but does surgery for the first time since his brain surgery;  Will he be permanently impaired from his shoulder not being immobilized?

Glassman fixing his shoulder himself made me go "HOLY CRAP" because, uhhh, Melendez was right there - it isn't like he was trapped in the rubble by himself, Melendez could've done it for him, but instead he decided to do the action movie hero move of "slam body into hard thing to fix dislocation"

4 hours ago, rmontro said:

I remember when House juggled their cast of supporting doctors.  They could certainly do something similar on this show.  Replacing the lead is not something I would expect.  Maybe Claire would be best suited to replace him.  It would be funny to see her improvise an endless stream of alcoholic devices for medical purposes.

I'm beginning to wonder if she'll ever even be mentioned again.

By the way, how about those hands of Reznick?  They looked like Bride of Frankenstein hands with all the sutures.

Claire MacGyvering things with alcoholic devices would be a hilarious thing. Maybe it'd be something she picked up in her childhood, or maybe she took on MacGyverology as a hobby after the death of her mother.

Yeah, Reznick's hands certainly were something - i'm surprised she wasn't on a pile of painkillers with those frankenhands. She has to have long term effects from that or else something is up with this show - if not physical, some kind of repercussions. At least a talking to for ignoring the nurse who was like "check her for pregnancy"

• Love 1

My mother's always told me doctors are supposed to assume all women of childbearing age are pregnant until proven otherwise, for potential malpractice reasons (you don't want to administer something that could harm a potential fetus without being sure). That's her explanation for "first day of your last cycle" questions from literally every doctor I meet with (or usually the nurse).

• Useful 6
  • Love 6

I really enjoyed the episode.  Who could have seen Melendez coming?   Yes, the why would that hurt was subtle?  Still I love it.  I don’t think they’d kill Melendez off.  He’s too popular and there have been no signs he wants out.  Andrews or Lim make a lot more sense.  Andrews can’t go back to an attending forever.  Or maybe it’s Glassman then Andrews could go back to President. Sick Glassman got on my nerves but went back to loving him this season. Or maybe it’s Carly?  Where was she?

I loved having Steve come back.  Great move and scenes.  Maybe this isn’t popular, but I loved Shaun’s conversation with Vera(?).  It was so touching and I think captured exactly why I’ve liked Shaun and Lea.  Yes, in real life, she’d cry and feel bad for hearing it, but still not be romantically interested.  Maybe that will happen.  

• Love 3

I feel like Shaun and Lean are going to go in another direction.  But it's probably my wishful thinking talking not anything I know about the show's plans.  I think Lea get's it now, why Shaun loves her, what she means to him and how she affects him.   So I wonder if instead of oh wow I love him too it's going to be OK now I get it and I know how to have a real talk with him about being close friends, like an adopted brother and sister closeness and continuing to support each other going forward.  Because when you think about it, if Shaun is able to look at it this way, he and Lea did nearly all of the things he spoke to Vera about before they were even roommates.   I'm hoping that's the conversation they have and Shaun get's to that place where he can cut the romance wedge off their little friendship cake and keep the rest.

As for the death(s?) - I really wanted it to be Andrews.  Sorry to all his fans but he's my least favorite character.  He also seems least likely to die at this point.  There was a tease that there would be multiple deaths but never that it would be main characters so I'm thinking at least one of the victims is included in that.  No offense but it needs to be the kid that Park is treating; I think he needs to not win this one.   I'm also suspicious that there's going to be a twist and Carly is going to die - she was my vote from the beginning and she has very little to do now unless the writers plan to get her back with Shaun.  I'm absolutely not spoiled on this it's only an opinion but I'm wondering if part two will toss us the curve of Carly showing up in the ER as a patient from another disaster site and they can't save her.

Speaking of Park's patient,  a few of you made some comparisons of his injury here to another TV show.  I'm going back further and a little obscure but has anyone here ever read the book "Aztec"?  There was a bit in there where the mental picture of it freaked me out as a kid (considering the heavy violence and sex in it I was probably a little too young when I read that book tbh) - A sheet of marble falls on a quarry worker edgewise and cuts him in half just like the kid.  And just like the kid he lives for a time and they even try to carry him home to say goodbye to his wife.  That was all I could think about when Lim saw the injuries to the kids lower half and legs.

• Love 1

I had mixed feelings about this episode.  The writing of Shaun is ruining the character for me.  It was annoying that he disregarded what Lim told him and instead took it upon himself to go in search of Leah.  I did like the scene with his brother, but at the same time, it tells me Shaun absolutely knew he was out of line since obviously his brother is not really there and is actually Shaun’s own conscience with Steve playing the role of the angel on his shoulder. 

I want to see how part 2 is and how things shake out before I comment any further. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, bros402 said:

Glassman fixing his shoulder himself made me go "HOLY CRAP"

I saw someone do that in real life, using a tree.  He had no medical background either.

10 hours ago, bros402 said:

Claire MacGyvering things with alcoholic devices would be a hilarious thing. Maybe it'd be something she picked up in her childhood, or maybe she took on MacGyverology as a hobby after the death of her mother.

Or maybe she has just been around alcohol a lot.

11 hours ago, bros402 said:

Yeah, Reznick's hands certainly were something - i'm surprised she wasn't on a pile of painkillers with those frankenhands. She has to have long term effects from that or else something is up with this show

Surely she is on some kind of painkillers.  Makes you wonder if there might be some repercussions for operating "under the influence".  I doubt if they'll go down that road though.  I still think Shaun might think up some sort of super solution to save her hands.  Or maybe they'll just write her off the show.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Or maybe they'll just write her off the show.

They just had a magic operation that will give her ten more years of being an active surgeon. If they were going to write her off, they would have had her move to another specialty instead.

Like an ER doctor, although there would still be room for her on the show as that.

I saw someone do that in real life, using a tree.  He had no medical background either.

The thing is that after it's put back in, the shoulder has to be immobilized to prevent nerve damage. No way Glassman should have been operating.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Truly not even a freaking earthquake can make the romance drama stop! How is it that the one person giving the best advice in this whole mess is a hallucination? 

Of course Melendez is still hurt, I could have told you that and I sure as hell dont have a medical degree! I just watch a lot of TV! A bar fell onto his head! You should probably check on that, room full of doctors! However, now that its been thrown out that Melendez might die, I think he is actually safe, and it will be someone more surprising. 

Look at Claire, coming up with funky out of the box suggestions!  

I am both impressed at how much Morgan is using her hands despite the insane pain she must be in, and nervous that she is accidentally going to hurt or kill someone. 

I hope that the kid Park is working on makes it, but if nothing else, this should at least inspire him to reach out to his son again and really talk to each other. 

Please tell me that Leah and Shaun arent getting together because Leah can conveniently hear him ranting about how he wants to be with her, and its a life threatening situation? Oh my God Shaun, you can do shots and dance and drive without Leah! I was happy that Shaun's hallucination brother and the talk he had with the woman he is saving was finally going to convince him to just accept that Leah isn't into him and move on, but apparently we arent that lucky. I am crossing my fingers that this ends with Leah realizing what she means to Shaun, and Shaun realizes that Leah loves him platonically and not romantically, and that is alright and that he can do those things and be that person and spend time with her as a friend and thats a good thing. I have never been into them as a couple, but now I am super not into them as a couple. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8

If Shaun can get past the feelings of hurt, there's no reason why he couldn't continue thriving in all the ways he listed... just with Lea as a friend instead of a girlfriend. That's what she's always been to him, so I hope he realizes she doesn't have to be a girlfriend in order to encourage him and push him to try things and be more. (And of course, he can always continue to do it himself, as he feels ready and able.)

• Love 4

So who did Lea steal the walky from?  Sure was convenient for her to be sitting with one in her hand.  Oh, writers...please do better.  

If Melendez, Claire, Lim, Glassman, or (surprisingly to me) Park die, I'm out.  If Andrews dies...well, just don't kill the black man, okay?  Speaking of that.  That adorable young patient of Park better make it (although I'm afraid he won't).  

Lea and Shaun can do whatever I guess.  That's what fast forwarding is for!  Sad because I love Freddie, but I just can't with this plotline. 

Everyone up thread who stated that all that stuff in Shaun's wonderful speech happened without them being in a romantic relationship are spot on.  And kind of reinforces Lea's position to not be in a romantic relationship with him.  They work!  As FRIENDS! 

Put them in a romantic relationship and they really may not work because the dynamic completely changes.  

PLEASE writers!  Do better!  

#VeraAndShaun4Ever

• Love 4
1 hour ago, JenMcSnark said:

So who did Lea steal the walky from?  Sure was convenient for her to be sitting with one in her hand.  Oh, writers...please do better.  

If Melendez, Claire, Lim, Glassman, or (surprisingly to me) Park die, I'm out.  If Andrews dies...well, just don't kill the black man, okay?  Speaking of that.  That adorable young patient of Park better make it (although I'm afraid he won't).  

Lea and Shaun can do whatever I guess.  That's what fast forwarding is for!  Sad because I love Freddie, but I just can't with this plotline. 

Everyone up thread who stated that all that stuff in Shaun's wonderful speech happened without them being in a romantic relationship are spot on.  And kind of reinforces Lea's position to not be in a romantic relationship with him.  They work!  As FRIENDS! 

Put them in a romantic relationship and they really may not work because the dynamic completely changes.  

PLEASE writers!  Do better!  

#VeraAndShaun4Ever

Well, they already got rid of the other minority Jared. I guess they think they are covered with Claire, Lim, Melendez and Park..

The writing has been pretty bad all season if you ask me, including Claire's decent into hoedom...the lack of use of Andrews and Lim, putting Lim and Melendez together and breaking them up, no direction for Park and no real growth for Resnick.  I could go on, but just thinking about the time I've wasted is annoying me. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, rmontro said:

Or maybe she has just been around alcohol a lot.

Surely she is on some kind of painkillers.  Makes you wonder if there might be some repercussions for operating "under the influence".  I doubt if they'll go down that road though.  I still think Shaun might think up some sort of super solution to save her hands.  Or maybe they'll just write her off the show.

Yeah, but I imagine the person using a tree wasn't surrounded by medical professionals.

I mean yeah she has been around alcohol a lot, but who wouldn't want an alcohol-themed MacGyver for a doctor?? (sarcasm)

And yeah, Reznick has to be on a pile of painkillers. If there is any non-"destroyed her hands" repercussion, it'll be that medical show classic: addiction

4 hours ago, JenMcSnark said:

I thought the walkie was just in the ambulance somewhere and she was overhearing the conversation

• Love 3