Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Almost Famous

Ali is hopeful when she’s told that she’s a candidate for a new drug trial to help with her cancer treatment. But when the God Account suggests that Miles helps the daughter of the hospital administrator in charge of the drug trial, he’s reluctant to get involved for fear of hurting Ali’s chances of being accepted.

Original air date: March 29, 2020

Damn so poor Miles, his sister might be dying, the god account is jerking him around, and the girl he loves is committing herself to someone else. So for all the good he's done I guess Miles just gets to be hurt and lonely. So much for being a hero.

• Love 6

I gotta say for a show that keeps being compared to POI it was a ballsy move to cast Amy Acker (damn, I still miss Root). And when will Miles finally get that the GA is not working on a tit-for-tat level?As for the love-trinagle: ladidiladida can't hear you!

• Love 4

Will they do an actual plot twist and have Corey actually be related to the God Account??

Like that Trish had a connection to the friend suggestion this week.

Not looking forward to Miles finding out Cara's dating someone else; however they handle it.

If everyone was so worried about Miles acting different because Ali's potential doctor was involved with the friend suggestion, then why didn't they just have Cara and Rakesh take the lead this time? I mean, I know why - they wanted Miles to be in this story - but it didn't make sense when there's two other people on the team.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Trini said:

If everyone was so worried about Miles acting different because Ali's potential doctor was involved with the friend suggestion, then why didn't they just have Cara and Rakesh take the lead this time? I mean, I know why - they wanted Miles to be in this story - but it didn't make sense when there's two other people on the team.

Yes, the solution was obvious. Cara and Rakesh continuously pushing Miles to 'treat this like any other Friends suggestion' really didn't help because I kept thinking 'Why are you not taking over for him?' They both saw how he was struggling yet did not volunteer - not their best look. Of course it was a writing decision because the writers love to throw Miles into scenarios where he gets jerked around by the GA. We're one step away from defcon Job. 

• Love 4

I know that they're ALL not going to work out, as they're just killing time before the romantic leads eventually get together, but even with that in mind, I don't recall ever seeing a more "this is obviously not going to work out" side romance for a lead character before than Cara and Adam. It's mostly been offscreen, the guy's barely in any episodes, how can we possibly take it seriously? It's the most oddly half-assed thing. 

It's not even like Chris Conroy is so super busy that he can't commit. They're just not using him for whatever reason. So how can we possibly take him as a serious love interest for Cara?

• Love 5

Well now we official conformation that this is some kind of alternate universe Person of Interest story, Root has shown up! Remove a lot of the shooting and add more coffee, you basically have the same show! 

Case of the week was pretty good, Amy Acker is always good (even when she sometimes gets stuck in rather bland roles) and the actress playing her daughter was solid as well. I figured that there would be another twist even after we found out that the daughter was actually her biological niece, and I figured out what happened about a second before Miles did I think. At this point, it does kind of feel like the GA is jerking him around, or else why would it put him in the path of the woman who can help Ali? Just because it always helps people he meets randomly? Or is it trying to prove some kind of point? I mean, I dont understand at all why Miles thinks that the GA gave Ali cancer or why finding out who is behind it will help, but it doesn't help when it seems like the GA is just trolling him. Poor Miles. Also not looking forward to him finding out that Cara is dating someone.

Adam is such a nonentity, that Cara would be dating a lamp wearing a sweater and it would be about the same. I know that he exists to hold a place until Miles and Cara end this stupidity and get back together, but they could at least make him something of an actual character. Even the ex boyfriend and the new love interest that Miles and Cara got last season had SOME personality! 

I like that Trish had a connection to the Friend of the Week this time, and that she is getting a bit more involved with stuff. 

So Corey's mom went and told on Miles to his dad! Cara also starts making some questionable choices in finding the GA, maybe because she is still salty that is GA made her step dad take some responsibility for his actions? I still dont buy that this is some kind of defense algorithm test, it just doesn't make sense. Why would they test this on these random civilians under the guise of pretending to be God? How do they have so much information to the point that they can seemingly control things that no person can control? What are the applications for this? They can use it to...find targets? Help targets with their problems? I really dont get it.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

I know that they're ALL not going to work out, as they're just killing time before the romantic leads eventually get together, but even with that in mind, I don't recall ever seeing a more "this is obviously not going to work out" side romance for a lead character before than Cara and Adam. It's mostly been offscreen, the guy's barely in any episodes, how can we possibly take it seriously? It's the most oddly half-assed thing. 

It's not even like Chris Conroy is so super busy that he can't commit. They're just not using him for whatever reason. So how can we possibly take him as a serious love interest for Cara?

Adam is so unnecessary, they could have just had Cara focus on her career or something. She does not need another love interest. Plus it makes her look cruel getting with another guy while Miles's sister is basically dying.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Yes, the solution was obvious. Cara and Rakesh continuously pushing Miles to 'treat this like any other Friends suggestion' really didn't help because I kept thinking 'Why are you not taking over for him?' They both saw how he was struggling yet did not volunteer - not their best look. Of course it was a writing decision because the writers love to throw Miles into scenarios where he gets jerked around by the GA. We're one step away from defcon Job. 

It was silly to say he should treat it like any other friend suggestion, because it clearly wasn't. It's not like Miles is a doctor being forced to treat all patients regardless of what terrible things they have done. He could have ignored it and hoped things worked out for his sister and I wouldn't have thought less of him.

But clearly, I am more selfish than Miles. I guess that's why God hasn't friended me.....

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, mommalib said:

Adam is so unnecessary, they could have just had Cara focus on her career or something.

I still don't even really understand why Cara and Miles aren't together. It's so dumb.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Cara also starts making some questionable choices 

.  The rest of the sentence was unnecessary. She tries to threaten Cory by going to see his mother, she recently spoke of her breakup with Miles without taking any responsibility for it, she is pursuing a dating relationship with a colleague while Miles is trying to help his sister fight for her life and doing so just months after telling Miles she loves him, and now she's kissing the colleague in her office, during work time! IMO that makes Cara a bad friend/ex-girlfriend as well as an unprofessional journalist.   Also Cara, you're no Woodward or Bernstein. Please. Get over yourself.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I still don't even really understand why Cara and Miles aren't together. It's so dumb.

This all really goes back to that episode where they met the guy that the account friended before Miles and he was spewing some crap about how Miles is a prophet who has to walk alone. That was season 2 ep 8, and the very next episode after that was the stuff with Cara's stepdad and then everything really snowballed with Ali's cancer. Miles and everybody is of the assumption that the god account wants Miles to sacrifice love and be the prophet.

19 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

.  The rest of the sentence was unnecessary. She tries to threaten Cory by going to see his mother, she recently spoke of her breakup with Miles without taking any responsibility for it, she is pursuing a dating relationship with a colleague while Miles is trying to help his sister fight for her life and doing so just months after telling Miles she loves him, and now she's kissing the colleague in her office, during work time! IMO that makes Cara a bad friend/ex-girlfriend as well as an unprofessional journalist.   Also Cara, you're no Woodward or Bernstein. Please. Get over yourself.

The writers have made me almost despise Cara and what's worst is I don't think they are aware of how horrible she looks.

• Love 6

I think Adam works somewhere else now, so he's no longer a colleague. But the whole thing is still dumb.

I also hate how every time they get a new lead on the God account, they speak to the target (or in this case the target's mother) as if it's 100% proven that this person is behind the account, and then they never are. You'd think by now they wouldn't speak with such certainties. Or at least make clear that they're bluffing or whatever in those conversations.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, redpencil said:

I think Adam works somewhere else now, so he's no longer a colleague. But the whole thing is still dumb.

I also hate how every time they get a new lead on the God account, they speak to the target (or in this case the target's mother) as if it's 100% proven that this person is behind the account, and then they never are. You'd think by now they wouldn't speak with such certainties. Or at least make clear that they're bluffing or whatever in those conversations.

Right? I was complaining about that the other episode and so then it happened right again this episode! When you're wrong EVERY TIME, why are you STILL SO CONFIDENT?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, redpencil said:

She was still kissing him in her office with a glass wall though. I thought for sure Miles was going to walk in and see.

I don't get why Arthur didn't tell the waitress lady that if her son isn't behind the God account he should just meet with Miles and then he and Cara would leave him alone.

Or why Cara didn't just start by telling the waitress lady they just want to talk to her son to clear up some things, and once they do, they'll leave him alone. Threatening to print a story she doesn't have is just silly because you can't follow through with it.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Or why Cara didn't just start by telling the waitress lady they just want to talk to her son to clear up some things, and once they do, they'll leave him alone. Threatening to print a story she doesn't have is just silly because you can't follow through with it.

Because he's clearly behind the God Account! Just like every other person who was clearly behind the God Account until they were revealed to not be behind the God Account. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Amy Acker! So good to see her. After seeing Alexis Denisof on Legacies I felt like I was watching an Angel reunion with my TV shows. I’m glad her character wasn’t so unreasonable with Kylie going on tour but I liked the twist on the reason why she caved. 

Not liking the triangle at all, especially with Miles finding out. Blah. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

She was still kissing him in her office with a glass wall though. I thought for sure Miles was going to walk in and see.

THIS.    Though honestly, regardless of the Miles factor, IMO it's totally unprofessional to kiss someone in your office, especially a current or previous colleague, when you know anyone can see you and you're not the owner of the company. She just comes off as a very entitled person. 

I have felt like Cara doesn't deserve Miles as a friend or boyfriend since the episodes focused on her mother's husband/family and Trish's daughter and her husband.  Kissing Adam and telling him she likes him a couple or few months after saying "I love you" to Miles makes me think she would quickly cheat on a boyfriend/husband when feeling unsatisfied or after a big fight. 

• Love 2

I am late to this thread because I have been dealing with my own personal nightmare - My 92 year old father in NYC has Covid-19 and is in the hospital.  He is doing better on oxygen and they are going to see if he continues to do well without it before releasing him to a rehab. or nursing facility.  I live 110 miles away and I am being told to stay away from NYC and am not allowed to visit him - no visitors are allowed in hospitals at all.  What a horrible situation, especially down there.  My friends in NYC are all scared to death.  If anyone wants to read more about my situation I have been writing in another thread here on the board, starting on this page.

I now see that this "New York General" hospital is really Columbia Presbyterian in upper Manhattan, given that they focus on its outside in the lead-in shots.  Both my husband and I were born there.  The hospital where my dad is right now is one of their off-site pavilions.  

I can't even imagine what will become of this show because like many others filming was halted due to the crisis.  I wonder how many more episodes we will see this season.  Watching this feels like it's from another time when things were normal and I can't even imagine when things will go back to any kind of normal, especially in NYC.

I agree with pretty much everyone in this thread so far on this episode, so I won't go into too much detail.  Ditto on the stupidity in the plot and with Cara and her new non-entity "boyfriend" (yeah, what's up with THAT?).  Plus once again here we go with the naive certainty every time they have a new "lead" on who might be behind the GA to the point of making threats.  So stupid and immature.  That's the fault of the writing, in my opinion.  They're going for "in your face" drama at the expense of common sense but they're even insulting the intelligence of 13 year olds and ruining the once great character of Cara.  My good friend now says she sometimes misses an episode here and there because the show is not as important to her this season, and that's pretty sad because like me she LOVED it last year.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I am late to this thread because I have been dealing with my own personal nightmare - My 92 year old father in NYC has Covid-19 and is in the hospital.  He is doing better on oxygen and they are going to see if he continues to do well without it before releasing him to a rehab. or nursing facility.  I live 110 miles away and I am being told to stay away from NYC and am not allowed to visit him - no visitors are allowed in hospitals at all.  What a horrible situation, especially down there.  My friends in NYC are all scared to death.  If anyone wants to read more about my situation I have been writing in another thread here on the board, starting on this page.

I now see that this "New York General" hospital is really Columbia Presbyterian in upper Manhattan, given that they focus on its outside in the lead-in shots.  Both my husband and I were born there.  The hospital where my dad is right now is one of their off-site pavilions.  

I can't even imagine what will become of this show because like many others filming was halted due to the crisis.  I wonder how many more episodes we will see this season.  Watching this feels like it's from another time when things were normal and I can't even imagine when things will go back to any kind of normal, especially in NYC.

I agree with pretty much everyone in this thread so far on this episode, so I won't go into too much detail.  Ditto on the stupidity in the plot and with Cara and her new non-entity "boyfriend" (yeah, what's up with THAT?).  Plus once again here we go with the naive certainty every time they have a new "lead" on who might be behind the GA to the point of making threats.  So stupid and immature.  That's the fault of the writing, in my opinion.  They're going for "in your face" drama at the expense of common sense but they're even insulting the intelligence of 13 year olds and ruining the once great character of Cara.  My good friend now says she sometimes misses an episode here and there because the show is not as important to her this season, and that's pretty sad because like me she LOVED it last year.

One of the writers said it's 3 episodes left. So episodes 19,20, and 21.

I said I would ignore the love triangle but I can't anymore. If they really had to go there why not make the character at least a bit interesting? At the moment Cara might as well date a cardboard cutout with a Post-It on its head reading: filler love-interest. Nothing to do with Chris Conroy, he's not to blame for the super-lame writing.

Despite the abysmal ending that was something HIMYM managed to get right: almost all the characters that showed up as possible mother were real persons with lovable quirks and some flaws. If you have to introduce placeholder love interests make them at least a bit intriguing (agreed that they made more of an effort on that front last season).

And what are the odds that Adam will pop up as a friend suggestion?

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I said I would ignore the love triangle but I can't anymore. If they really had to go there why not make the character at least a bit interesting? At the moment Cara might as well date a cardboard cutout with a Post-It on its head reading: filler love-interest. Nothing to do with Chris Conroy, he's not to blame for the super-lame writing.

Despite the abysmal ending that was something HIMYM managed to get right: almost all the characters that showed up as possible mother were real persons with lovable quirks and some flaws. If you have to introduce placeholder love interests make them at least a bit intriguing (agreed that they made more of an effort on that front last season).

And what are the odds that Adam will pop up as a friend suggestion?

Adam as a friend suggestion? I feel like I can almost guarantee it and I definitely don't write for the show lol.  That might be how Miles finds out about him and Cara. Boy would that be messy.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 4

Another ep, another trope...the experimental treatment is always curative.  Maybe, just maybe, Miles, the GA saved Ali by forcing her on the prescribed course which really will save your sister.  

The most infuriating moment was when our intrepid trio are in the bat cave and it was Cara who forcibly reminded Miles that the GA's ways may be unknowable, but it's been right every time, without fail.   Hellloooooo!

I love that TPTB think their audience to be morons.  They went to great lengths to set up the Woodward and Bernstein moment.  Cara was ever so fierce and smart and committed and blah blah blah.  Here's the thing...if you make the move she did against real deal DARPA/DOD agents like the dude who came to her office?  You damn well best have the goods to back it up.  She never published, did she.  Sooooooo......IRL, that would be the end of contact with Corey since he would know she had nothing on him.  The only way he would ever allow contact with her was if he wanted to use her.

It was a bit shocking to me that the mama actually put Aly's case in the front because Miles was such a friend.  Wow.  I bet the GA looooooved that corruption.  Then again, he made sure the valve issue arose, eh?

The end where the daughter declared herself to be her stepmom and not like her mom?  Huh?  What a laughable moment.  She acted out every bit as an "artist" could.  The heck with any understanding that she owed her stepmom so much.  All that mattered was the tour and singing.  

I will say this was among the more convoluted (in a good way) and misdirected eps thus far.  Some interesting moral scenarios were played out and we had to really work trying to figure out where it was actually headed.    

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I will say this was among the more convoluted (in a good way) and misdirected eps thus far.  Some interesting moral scenarios were played out and we had to really work trying to figure out where it was actually headed.    

And that, in a nutshell, is why the show is still worth following. There is still some there there, as it were. The writers aren't bad overall, they just have some weird, glaring blind spots.

• Love 4