Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nachomama

Talking the Virus: So Far the One Without Zombies

Please keep the discussion to your own experiences and opinions and be respectful of others.   No one has crossed the line yet so this is just a reminder that mentions of political figures and parties will violate the site-wide Politics Policy.   If you are unsure if your post is appropriate, PM your mods @nodorothyparker @raven.

We can complain yet be supportive during the apocalypse.

Simon Pegg Wink GIF by Working Title

• Surprise 1

6 months? I'm skeptical that we are close to the "end" of this situation but I can see where that's frustrating. I got my vaccine thursday and while I know that's not an excuse to go nuts, I'll still be cautious, wear a mask, I dang sure aint getting on an airplane anytime soon but I would think at least it's the beginning of the endish. What percent would you say is vaccinated in the UK? USA is 14%. We are now opened up to anyone over the age of 16 (where I'm at)  Our mask mandates etc haven't been lifted. I think all the spring breakers in florida weren't exactly invited. I don't think they "opened" people just swarmed. I do feel like everybody is going stir crazy and it's getting nutty but I'm an introvert, I hate people and don't go anywhere anyway so quarantine life is much like my regular life. hahahahaha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nachomama said:

What percent would you say is vaccinated in the UK? USA is 14%.

Out of a population of 68 million, about 30 million have had at least one jab, a few mill have had two. I thought Florida was operating normally even before the hordes descended and as for getting on a plane, the carrot was dangled by saying we might be able to travel towards the end of May, now news is ‘leaking’ that it won’t be until August, ish. That’s if there are any planes to board, a second no fly summer will surely see the end of some operators and more travel companies 😔

15 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I thought Florida was operating normally

LOL!! Good one! 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

1 hour ago, Superclam said:

LOL!! Good one! 

No kidding.

Young adults seeing higher infection rates as Florida reports 5,759 new COVID-19 cases

18-25 age group are filling more hospital beds after infections

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 1:43 PM, Superclam said:

Tonight is the last time I will be able to use COVID as an excuse not to see my family for the holidays. I'm going to miss that excuse. 😭

Well... you don’t HAVE to tell them you’ve been immunized....

6 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Florida was operating normally

Total contradiction in four words - helluva good job, that.  👍🏻

• Laugh 3

4 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

No kidding.

Yeah, I was mostly just making fun of Florida, but seriously. 100,000 young people descend on South Florida and party without masks, and now there's an uptick in Covid cases. Almost like there's a correlation. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

From Monday the 12th of April the country will be, 

“Reopening shops, gyms, zoos, holiday campsites, personal care services like hairdressers and of course beer gardens and outdoor hospitality of all kinds.” 

Arriving not a moment too soon, and after enduring several months of living like Dr Livingstone, hacking my way through the deepest, darkest African undergrowth, I’ll finally be able to get my back, sack and crack waxed 🥳, as long as the poor girls get not only the Covid, but Tetanus and Rabies jabs as well, we’ll all be laughing 😁

The only problem is, and it’s a biggie, is we still won’t be able to sit INSIDE pubs or restaurants 🙄 i know it never rains in England, but what do we do when the very rare shower occurs? I’ll be as smooth as a baby’s bum, but will still have to sit in front of the TV eating my King Prawn red curry and pineapple fried rice 😱

• Laugh 3
  • Surprise 1

They haven't set up the tents like we have? They kicked out the parking spaces out front of restaurants and set up tarp/tents to sit. OUR weather gets to be too hot and bugs eat you alive, I don't want to sit outside in the summer. But YOUR weather isn't always pleasant either. Those that already had outdoor dining have just been doing what they do but everywhere else looks like ET when the house got all tented up and the government came to take the alien to examine.

• Like 1

They haven't set up the tents like we have? They kicked out the parking spaces out front of restaurants and set up tarp/tents to sit. OUR weather gets to be too hot and bugs eat you alive, I don't want to sit outside in the summer. But YOUR weather isn't always pleasant either. Those that already had outdoor dining have just been doing what they do but everywhere else looks like ET when the house got all tented up and the government came to take the alien to examine.

The tents are big in NYC, and I don't see them going away for some time. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 8:51 PM, nachomama said:

They haven't set up the tents like we have? They kicked out the parking spaces out front of restaurants and set up tarp/tents to sit. OUR weather gets to be too hot and bugs eat you alive, I don't want to sit outside in the summer. But YOUR weather isn't always pleasant either.

Unfortunately tents have walls and a roof, which rather makes the whole dining experience no less dangerous to Mankind than your average indoor all you can eat buffet.

Regarding our predictable, reliable weather, we’ve just experienced a lovely warm Easter weekend. Unfortunately however, on this very Tuesday afternoon it actually snowed where I live, Liverpool, it didn’t snow a lot, but rather makes a mockery of the Al Fresco dining hopes for this summer  🙄

On 4/5/2021 at 8:35 PM, OoohMaggie said:

I’ll finally be able to get my back, sack and crack waxed 🥳

For all those weak of stomach 🤢, it was only a joke, I’m far too cheap to ever pay an illegal named Olga to slather me in wax, candles are far too expensive nowadays, being a hard as nails Englishman, I’ll just burn the hairs off with my plumbing blow torch 🚒

• Laugh 4

We officially now have the lowest death rate for CV in the whole of Europe 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 If we had a figure for those that died of it, rather than with it, it would be lower still. Now open the damn pubs! 🍺

• Like 3

On 4/6/2021 at 5:09 PM, OoohMaggie said:

I’ll just burn the hairs off with my plumbing blow torch 

That's the macho way to do it!😆

Our curfew is being pushed back to 8p.m starting tomorrow. I feel so bad for all the people losing their businesses, but For me, personally, it doesn't matter if it starts at 6p.m. It's not like it's going to impede my hectic social life.

• Laugh 1
  • Sad 1

Since the 12 march 2020 I have not spoke about this subject anywhere except for a few relatives in private. But it is really getting into me. 

I live in the woods with a lake nearby.  I hold myself to go by the lake after the curfew even if it is only 270 meters away from my home,  I don't have a dog and the fine is pretty high you know.  I am alone and no one is visiting me for the same reasons.  But at the same time I see all the people from Montreal going to their rbnb around that lake not caring at all about the rules.

That's all I have to say.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, heisenberg said:

I hold myself to go by the lake after the curfew even if it is only 270 meters away from my home, 

I doubt anyone is going to bother if you're down at the lake alone, if you are able to keep your distance from the others? I'm pretty sure you don't want to mingle with those city folk and their nasty habits anyway!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I doubt anyone is going to bother if you're down at the lake alone, if you are able to keep your distance from the others? I'm pretty sure you don't want to mingle with those city folk and their nasty habits anyway!

I won't test my luck.  It is a dead end and cops do come once in a while.  I don't have 1500$ to bet on it.  I should rent a dog.🙂

00000home.thumb.jpg.f076239ee23ce1ae3a824a6aa1fe8fb3.jpg

Edited by heisenberg
  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

4 hours ago, heisenberg said:

I don't have 1500$ to bet on it.  I should rent a dog.

Just walk around with a bit of rope in your hand, if you see a cop just whistle and start calling out a really stupid name 🐶 That one’s free, I do charge for the really good advice 😋

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 4

49 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Just walk around with a bit of rope in your hand, if you see a cop just whistle and start calling out a really stupid name 🐶 That ones free, I do charge for the really good advice 😋

Good idea! Go all out and buy an actual leash. Or you could disguise yourself as a bear, like Nicholas Cage in "The Wicker Man".

Wicker-Man-Cage-Bear-600x338.jpg

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

58 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Good idea! Go all out and buy an actual leash. Or you could disguise yourself as a bear, like Nicholas Cage in "The Wicker Man".

When’s the mating season?  🐻

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

The pubs opened today, outside seating only, Bbbbbrrrrrrrrrr 🥶, it’s a start I suppose 😎

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

like Nicholas Cage in "The Wicker Man".

I’ve never seen it, I’m rather ‘Cage’ averse, anywhere near as good as the original?

21 hours ago, heisenberg said:

don't have 1500$ to bet on it.  I should rent a dog.

I’d love to live so close to that much forest, I am trying to work out the options open to me at the moment 🤔

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I’ve never seen it, I’m rather ‘Cage’ averse, anywhere near as good as the original?

If you watch this, view it as a zany comedy. It's dreadful in every way.

• Like 1

I'm very Cage averse. Also Kevin Costner averse. I do not know what they did to highly offend me so. I want to watch Yellowstone because people tell me it's fantastic but COST-NERRRRRRRRRR! And one of my favorite movies of all time is Raising Arizona, despite Cage not because of him.

I'm very Cage averse. Also Kevin Costner averse.

Not a fan of Cage. Costner has been in a couple of my favorite movies - "Dances with Wolves", the excellent "Open Range", and "The Untouchables" athough of course, Sean Connery stole the show in the latter. "Mr. Brooks" (2007) with Costner in the title role, is quite good. Even Dane Cook, someone I find completely intolerable, is fine here as those qualities that make him intolerable to me work in this movie. The scenes with Costner and William Hurt are worth the price of admission. Unfortunately, the Demi Moore character is just unnecessary and kind of annoying.

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

I like "Waterworld." Fight me. 

Ok people let’s do this in a gentlemanly way, obviously Ladies first, then form an orderly queue guys 👊

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Laugh 3

1 hour ago, Superclam said:

I like "Waterworld." Fight me. 

I might drown you. I don't know why Costner bugs me so much. I know he was the "body" in "The Big Chill" and my favorite joke is that it's my favorite role of his. I think with "waterworld" and "The Postman" he just got into this "epic" movie genre where it was like he was trying to recreate the feeling of "Dances with Wolves" ie critically acclaimed etc and I couldn't tell you if Waterworld was good or not, don't think I've seen the entire thing, sat through Postman and was like "the mail? the MAIL????? the mail is gonna save us?"

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

20 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

If you watch this, view it as a zany comedy. It's dreadful in every way.

As soon as I wrote “anywhere near as good as the original?” I should have realised what a pointless question that was 🙄

• Laugh 1

5 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I loved Waterworld!

Thank you! Me and Angela vs. the rest a youse!! 

• Laugh 1

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

You’re on!  Royal Rumble, last person standing, tag team turmoil rules, chairs, tables and ladders included ☠️ (no hair pulling allowed)

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Laugh 2

9 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

You’re on!  Royal Rumble, last person standing, tag team turmoil rules, chairs, tables and ladders included ☠️ (no hair pulling allowed)

Hair pulling allowed, because it won't work on me!! 

• Laugh 3

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

Make that three.  Directorially challenged and expensive as fuck  Waterworld may have been - but personally I always rather enjoyed the prospect of 99.9% of the world’s population going bubbly bye-bye.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

Oh, and FYI - wife and I were able to get our 2nd COVID shots today, almost a week ahead of our original scheduled appointments!  The pharmacy called to say they’d had some cancellations, and would we like to get bumped up on the calendar...?  😎

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Make that three.  Directorially challenged and expensive as fuck  Waterworld may have been - but personally I always rather enjoyed the prospect of 99.9% of the world’s population going bubbly bye-bye.

I'll be four.  I didn't have a problem with Waterworld.  I even liked the Postman, even tho it deviated from the book.  But it had an awesome Tom Petty cameo.  So fight me on that!

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1

15 minutes ago, Nashville said:

I will also add that Costner is perfect to play a fish, because that guy is as wooden as fuck! I don't see his appeal - he can't act, isn't particularly good looking. What am I missing? 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

50 minutes ago, madmax said:

I'll be four.  I didn't have a problem with Waterworld. 

How can you not love Dennis Hopper's way-over-the-top villain? "Smokers" who find cigarettes in a world covered in water! I haven't seen this in years, but I know there was a lot I liked about it, aside from the surly Costner. It was fun to watch.

I usually have no problem with Costner. He was great in the awesome miniseries "Hatfields and McCoys".  I'd rather watch him any day than that ubiquitious, talent-free Rock(head) Johnson who seems to be in every single big, dumb movie made in the last 5 years, all of which I refuse to watch. I did catch a bit of the horrible "Rampage" which featured Evil Negan, I mean JDM, channeling Negan. Ugh. I like some awful movies like "Sharknado" if I'm in the mood, but Rock's aren't even fun to hate. They're just idiotic CGI extravaganzas and stupid. He can't act his way out of paper bag and looking at his bulging steroided body makes me uneasy, feeling some part might explode any minute.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

On 4/13/2021 at 9:48 PM, Superclam said:

he can't act, isn't particularly good looking. What am I missing? 

Speaking as a straight Man with only the merest hint of envy, he was rather hot in The Bodyguard, although I wouldn’t be rushing past Whitney to get to him 🥵

On 4/13/2021 at 9:42 PM, madmax said:

I'll be four. 

Looks like I’ll have to hire a bigger venue...........🙄

• Like 3

Second shot today.  Crossing my fingers that I don't have any side effects.  I don't have time to be sick.

• Like 2

No effects from the second shot aside from a bit of fatigue.  So thankful I didn't get the flu-like symptoms that so many others were getting.

• Like 1

For whatever reason, my second shot (Pfizer) was much easier than the first. Just a sore arm and fatigue for about a day. The weird thing is, my wife, who is quite genetically distinct from me, had similar reactions. It's like we took each other's DNA when we got married. 

• Laugh 1

My dad is fully vaccinated (Pfizer). I'm not, yet. A friend got one of the two-shot vaccines, and has been dealing with really bad fatigue since the second one yesterday. 

• Like 1

Second shot Thursday. No effects I can clearly pinpoint to the vaccine. Headache but that could be anything. My arm was sore but pretty much all good. Pseudo planning a road trip for Memorial Day, we shall be fully vaccinated by then and we will slowly start moving about the cabin and putting seats in the upright positions. Prepare for boarding.  

• Like 1

Thought I’d posted this in here already, but maybe the site update ate it:

I hadn’t had any reactive symptoms of any kind from the first vaccination (Pfizer), so I was a leetle concerned about the potential for a karmic boomerang from the second.  Turns out I needn’t have worried.  I did have several reactions - soreness around the injection site, joint and body aches, headache, fever - but all were minimal, manageable with a couple of doses of Tylenol, and gone by about 48 hours after injection.  Fever never got above 100.0F, even.  
IMHO two days of minor discomfort were more than worth the associated peace of mind. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Did you have your second shot in the same arm as you had your first shot?

Yes; I’m a lefty, so I got both shots in my right shoulder.  Because of the associated soreness, the preference is to administer the vaccine in the non-dominant arm.

• Useful 1

Well, I'm back in hard pants! Every other Tuesday. Not performative at all. 🙄

• Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

Hard pants! Haha. 
im booking my first post pandemic travel. Going home to see my friends new house and go to albuqierque balloon fiesta. Swinging around Phoenix to visit prison niece. Who says I don’t know how to have fun? I’m going to prison!! 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

nodorothyparker

At the request of several of you, we're starting a separate pullout thread on coronavirus discussion: how it's affecting you, what you're seeing, whether years and years of watching this show have taught us anything about surviving it, guarding your toilet paper hoard against dickish scavengers, whatever.  Please confine related discussion to this thread and out of Small Talk.