Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nachomama

Talking the Virus: So Far the One Without Zombies

They just lifted our 3 week lockdown on Monday.  Let's hope the idiots who weren't responsible during Christmas don't get us into another one.

• Like 3

On 1/7/2021 at 2:47 PM, madmax said:

They just lifted our 3 week lockdown on Monday.  Let's hope the idiots who weren't responsible during Christmas don't get us into another one.

dream on

Edited by 1 who Knocks-Nuihc
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 8:43 AM, OoohMaggie said:

Having always been one of life’s weirdos, I don’t have ‘normal’ to compare it to, yet I truly think it helps in situations like this 🤪

OoohMaggie I'm happy to see you're still alive here - been away for some time - world sure has changed since my last post

On 12/17/2020 at 4:01 PM, Nashville said:

David was a high school teacher, healthy and teaching  class right up to the Thanksgiving break - then diagnosed w/COVID on Sunday 11/29, admitted to local hospital on Wed. 12/2, transferred to Vandy COVID ICU Friday 12/4, went on ventilator Wed. 12/9, resuscitated twice Thu. 12/10, died Sunday 12/13.  Two weeks to the day from diagnosis to death - so anybody telling you that this takes forever and only affects those already in ill health is absolutely full of shit.

Sorry for your loss Nashville (from the other Nashville person)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 1 who Knocks-Nuihc said:

OoohMaggie I'm happy to see you're still alive here - been away for some time - world sure has changed since my last post

It’s very nice to hear from you, I thought I was the last of the AMC’ers. Yeah, it’s been a hell of a year and I hope it hasn’t treated you too badly 🤗

On 1/9/2021 at 2:07 PM, OoohMaggie said:

It’s very nice to hear from you, I thought I was the last of the AMC’ers. Yeah, it’s been a hell of a year and I hope it hasn’t treated you too badly 🤗

so far so good. I've been worried tho since there are many fools here both private and gov't people making things worse. I bought me a sabre red pepper gel i carry on my key-chain that I refer to as my social distancing enforcement tool. I'm still caretaker for my 80 year old mom and with my diabetes I work very hard to avoid the virus. I really am looking forward to getting the vaccine if the incompetent idiots ever get the distribution right. What a world we occupy today. I keep expecting to see walkers any day now.

Later....

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, 1 who Knocks-Nuihc said:

so far so good. I've been worried tho since there are many fools here both private and gov't people making things worse.

Whereabouts is “here”, if you don’t mind my asking?  Sounds a lot like my neck of the woods.  🙂

6 hours ago, nachomama said:

Has anybody here had the vaccine?

If the current TN vaccine rollout schedule holds, I won’t be up for a shot until somewhere around late March / early April.

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

If the current TN vaccine rollout schedule holds, I won’t be up for a shot until somewhere around late March / early April.

That's kind of what I'm expecting. Since I work for the local gov't, I may get it a few weeks early. 

7 minutes ago, Superclam said:

That's kind of what I'm expecting. Since I work for the local gov't, I may get it a few weeks early. 

Semi-echo; fed, not local.

• Surprise 1

I'm in what PA calls Phase 2, so I don't expect to get mine until late Spring.  I can't find any details on when they actually expect Phase 2 to be started.

6 hours ago, madmax said:

I'm in what PA calls Phase 2, so I don't expect to get mine until late Spring.  I can't find any details on when they actually expect Phase 2 to be started.

@madmax - I tried googling around for PA’s Phase 2 schedule, but couldn’t find anything more concrete than “probably late spring / early summer”.

13 hours ago, Nashville said:

@madmax - I tried googling around for PA’s Phase 2 schedule, but couldn’t find anything more concrete than “probably late spring / early summer”.

Thanks for looking!  That's what I got, too.  I'm perfectly fine with waiting.  My interactions with people other than 3 family members are nearly non-existent and I can work from home indefinitely.  Never thought I'd like it - and I didn't at first - but now I love it.

I might get upset if they want me to go back to work for my night job. As long as I keep my numbers up. I know there are many struggling, as in how can you be late to work in your own home? or late from breaks. I get it, you just walked to the kitchen for a snack and then it's 30 minutes later. I set a timer. but I can even work extra hours if I'm doing it from home. They've been offering up to 45 hours a week (I can never achieve that) but I grab an extra 5 a week for myself. Which I wouldn't do if I had to drive there because I'd be off at midnight and then have to drive home after I left my house at 7 am that morning. I'd be passing out on my drive home. I've been working 2-3 hours on a Sunday and I wouldn't want to drive for that. Here's how lazy I am, Sundays work doesn't start until 1 (they dont want us calling people until after church, ha) so working 1-4 really screws up my afternoon, I don't wanna get up early (put clothes on) to go out to do my laundry or get my groceries. I can stay in pj's to go pick up curbside groceries. but if I have to go in anywhere that's putting on "hard" pants. I'm not as addicted to sweats and pj's as some, I do go to my day job Monday-thursday in hard pants. hahahaha but yeah, weekends are for pj's. I'm an idiot.

• Laugh 2

@nachomama

I love that you call them "hard pants!"  I'm going to start using that.  I got a bunch of "soft" pants for Christmas because I was wearing out the ones I had.

Hard pants tickles me too. I evaluate every "leaving the house" experience as "hard pants" worthy or not. My pj pants are probably 15-20 years old. Every once in a while I pull on some yoga pants (nothing like lulu lemon or these new fangled ones) old school...holes in them and I remember why I quit wearing them. Last week, dragging my laundry basket, my pants nearly fell off. Oh yeah! no drawstring to cinch those puppies up. So I'm Quasimodo with one hand holding up pants the one leg kicking the laundry basket while the other drags it. Oh, no, I'm not the "people of Walmart" why do you ask??

• Laugh 4

We’ve got the original strain of Covid, our own variant, the Brazilian variant and yes, lo and behold we’ve now got a hundred or so cases of the South African variant, I remember mentioning it would soon be winging its way here. 
The UK is slowly dying as a fully functioning society, a decision needs to be made! 😔

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Sad 3

Anybody get their vaccine yet? I got mine yesterday. My arm hurts a little and I'm tired, but other than that I'm fine. 

I finally got an appointment for my 82 year old mother to get her shot.

My SIL, who I don't speak with, got hers by saying she was the caregiver to her elderly mother.  Her mother is barely in group 1A and she's not her caregiver, her step-father is.  I've been offered on the sly, but I think shots should go to those who need it first. I'll get mine eventually.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Superclam said:

Anybody get their vaccine yet? I got mine yesterday. My arm hurts a little and I'm tired, but other than that I'm fine. 

I currently have an appointment for a vaccine in April, but I might see if I can get on a waste list and step up that timetable a mite.

• Like 1

Nine people have died, with two still seriously ill in a care home in England over the past couple of weeks, Corona has been listed as the cause despite them having received the vaccine in January. They haven’t said whether it was a two part vaccine or whether, if applicable, the second dose had been administered. Keep vigilant people!

• Like 1

It's true, people are running out to party without masks, and it's not over yet. My friend's mother just tested positive this morning. 😥

• Sad 3

I'm on an alert list to let me know when there are vaccines available and in my qualifying category. Because I hate shots I might prefer the Johnson & Johnson just to have only 1 but I'd prefer the Maderna. I know it won't be a choice, I'll take what they give.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nachomama said:

I'm on an alert list to let me know when there are vaccines available and in my qualifying category. Because I hate shots I might prefer the Johnson & Johnson just to have only 1 but I'd prefer the Maderna. I know it won't be a choice, I'll take what they give.

Anecdotal evidence, but everyone that I know that has had the Moderna virus has had flu-like reactions to the second shot.  The Pfizer one doesn't seem to have that effect.  I don't know anything about the J&J one.

I'd prefer to have the J&J or the Pfizer but like you, I'll take what I can get.

12 hours ago, madmax said:

Anecdotal evidence, but everyone that I know that has had the Moderna virus has had flu-like reactions to the second shot.  The Pfizer one doesn't seem to have that effect.  I don't know anything about the J&J one.

I'd prefer to have the J&J or the Pfizer but like you, I'll take what I can get.

I've heard that about the Maderna one as well. (I just like it because Dolly Parton backed it, she is the only thing pure in the world right now) I now have an appointment for next week. It will be Pfizer.

Call me Karen, I picked up something to eat last night, curbside, and when I got home there's no meat. Like zero. I scooted around carefully to be sure I wasn't missing something. I asked for steak and mushrooms. She starts off by telling me 3 times they don't do mushrooms anymore. So I said "how bout the steak that I paid extra for?" she says she can remake it. I say "I don't live there, I'm 20 minutes away and I'm not coming back for it" My immediate response is not to just try and get it for free, I don't know just acknowledge you screwed it up or something. (I didn't say that) She hung up on me. Now, initially, I wasn't pissed off just annoyed, it was edible, just vegetarian. Even I think it would be ridiculous to try and get $2 off but I don't even know WHAT I wanted when I called. So I called back and for sure now I was gonna get a refund. A dude answered and I said "I know she didn't just mean to hang up on me" and he said "no, she didn't mean to hang up on you" she gets back on the phone and says "I said I can remake it and then I offered a refund and you didn't want it" AND HUNG UP AGAIN. I get it, I'm sure she had plenty of shit to deal with but we all have to take our angers on others so me too. I'm not a "I'm calling corporate" type. I never send food back. You gotta really push me to make me complain. I'm full Karen mode.

• Surprise 1

12 hours ago, madmax said:

I got the Pfizer. The day after I felt a little run down an achy. Tylenol helped a lot. My wife was nauseous and had a fever. It passed after a day. I guess the second shot will be worse. 

So my friend tested positive yesterday. We were together in a car, masked, on the 5th, but he thinks his brother (who spread it to his whole family) was exposed that night. So I'm a little paranoid. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Like 1

Good luck, hopefully nothing comes of it. It's just one of those reminders that even though we may see the light at the end of the tunnel DON'T GO TOWARD THE LIGHT CAROL ANN!. Remain vigilant.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Superclam said:

So I'm a little paranoid. 

Even without any vaccine your age range falls well within the minuscule risk of Covid related problems, still be careful when crossing the road though 🚌  🤗

• Surprise 1

2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Even without any vaccine your age range falls well within the minuscule risk of Covid related problems, still be careful when crossing the road though 🚌  🤗

Lol, with my luck, on "COVID Is Over Day," an air conditioner will fall on my head. 

• Laugh 1

Any developments? I don't guess there's really any way of you quarantining in place to protect familials? I don't think you live in some 7,000 sq foot apartment in New York. What does one even do?? I now have 2 appointments for the vaccine. I scheduled as soon as I could for our first mass market vaccine in our area, I think it's a drive through. but a friend got an appointment at a little clinic place closer and said they even had walk ins yesterday I didn't have time to get there after work but I did make an appointment for next Thursday, which is only 1 day before my original appointment but if it's closer...why not? I could see if they're still doing walk ins after work today and go straight there. If they have leftover vaccine at the end of the day they have to destroy it.

Have you had your second shot? If your potential exposure was the 5th I want to think if you aint coughing or have a fever you're good but I am not a doctor, I just play one on tv.

Edited by nachomama
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

@nachomama, thank you for asking! I appreciate it. It looks like I've dodged a bullet, everyone here is fine. No, my apartment is much smaller than 7,000 SF, and we don't have any private outdoor space, so if one of us gets it, we all do. I think my wife and I both had reactions to the first shot. Hers was worse. We go back in 3 weeks for round 2, and I hear the reaction for the second shot is worse, so yay. My wife has to go for a COVID test tomorrow for a medical procedure, so we'll find out for sure. 

On a better note, I got my stimulus payment today! Having 3 kids finally paid off! 

• Like 1

It would be sweet if you had a little balcony and your wife made you sleep in a tent outside and they brought you food shoved under the door for 2 weeks. But yeah, you had already exposed errbody by the time dude let you know.

I got my stimulus as well, I'll claim a couple of your kids if you need. But I still haven't gotten my durned tax refund. got the state, not the federal. It was supposed to be direct deposit but the state came in the mail so I don't know what I'm looking for.

• Laugh 2

Starting tomorrow, my county is lowering the age requirement for vaccinations, but you still have to meet certain health requirements, which I do.  So I'll be looking for that appointment for me and Mr. Max.

Our office is planning to reopen on July 1.  I don't see it happening.  The vast majority of our staff is under 40 and it took my state/county almost 3 months to get through the most vulnerable of our population.  I don't see the under 40s being able to get vaccines before June.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 7:04 PM, madmax said:

Stronger reactions on the second shot are not uncommon on both the Pfizer and Moderna two-shot series; that’s part of how the mRNA vaccines work:

1. The first shot introduces immune system sensitivity to a previously-unknown pathogen (the COVID-19 virus, in this case).
  2. The second shot boosts immunity by exercising (and thereby strengthening) immune system response - which, because of the sensitivity introduced by the first shot, will generally react much more strongly the second time around.

Usually hits somewhere around 48-72 hours after the second shot, and doesn’t last more than a day or two.

• Useful 2

Oh, and FYI: found the old lady and I new appointments - this coming Sunday instead of next month.  
Don’t know what they’ll be putting in our arms yet, but damned if I care at this point - just give it to me.

• Like 2

Got my first shot yesterday.  Moderna, but like I said, I don't care what it is, as long as I get it.  No side effects at all, but Mr. Max said his arm hurt yesterday and today.

I sent the info to my SIL and she actually said "I'm not sure if I'm getting vaccinated, but if I do, I'll wait for the J&J."  She's been really nutty about this pandemic, not seeing anyone except her husband (who doesn't believe in the pandemic), her children and her brother, yet she doesn't know if she's going to be vaccinated?  Guess we won't be seeing them for a loooooooooong time.

Edited by madmax
  • Like 1

Wife and I got our first shots today (Pfizer); all the vaccine documentation states the time frame for the followup shot should be 3 weeks, but our followups are scheduled for 4 weeks after.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Wife and I got our first shots today (Pfizer); all the vaccine documentation states the time frame for the followup shot should be 3 weeks, but our followups are scheduled for 4 weeks after.

That's very odd, because my Pfizer shot was scheduled right then and there for 3 weeks to the day. Did they give a reason? Is it a state thing? 

I may take a cruise by our mass vaccination site today or tomorrow, they now have lifted the "appointment only" you still need to meet the criteria and if there's a line a mile long (I think it's drive through) I won't hang around They close at 5 and I leave work at 4 so I may not make the cuttoff, I still have an appointment for friday for the mass site and one for thursday at a clinic. But if I could get in early why not? ZOMBIE MICROCHIP HERE I COME!

• Laugh 1

On 3/21/2021 at 5:41 PM, Nashville said:

Our second shots are scheduled for 4 weeks out as well.  New protocol?

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

It’s a year ago today that we were first forced into lockdown, 🎂 🍾 

From next Monday, if you go on holiday abroad you get a £5000 (US $7000) fine per person. They say hopefully only for the next 2-3 months 🙄 yeah right. 

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Surprise 2

On 3/21/2021 at 7:22 PM, Superclam said:

That's very odd, because my Pfizer shot was scheduled right then and there for 3 weeks to the day. Did they give a reason? Is it a state thing? 

15 hours ago, madmax said:

Our second shots are scheduled for 4 weeks out as well.  New protocol?

More like a laziness protocol, I’d guess. 😉 Instead of tracking which shots are due in 3 weeks (Pfizer) / 4 weeks (Moderna) / no weeks (Janssen), our pharmacy apparently default schedules EVERYONE for a 4-week followup when the initial vaccine appointment is made - which isn’t necessarily a bad way to do it, considering they may not know exactly which vaccine you’re actually getting until the needle is in your arm.  And after you do get your initial shot, I guess they don’t see much need to juggle already-scheduled appointments.

On 3/22/2021 at 7:04 AM, nachomama said:

Anxiously awaiting news if anyone's arms fell off from the shot etc.

Still competitive in an arm-wrestling match with one hand tied behind my back, thank you very much.  😆

• Laugh 2

I'd be scared of the laziness protocol so they know which shot theyre supposed to be giving you. I guess most sites are only doing 1 shot or the other but damn

Regarding fines, I know they're talking about having a "vaccine" passport for the foreseeable future, I know if you go to various countries you have to have shots for malaria and whatnot so I don't see how it's going to be much more trouble than currently aside from, well, you know, dumbass humans, but for now I don't want to get on a plane. I know UK, you're on an island most places you gotta go by air. I am getting out of town for the weekend next month but we are driving and we shall be vaccinated and we shall still mask up. I expect people to go crazy once we are "free" again but I'll go slowly. No raves and orgies for me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

It’s a year ago today that we were first forced into lockdown, 🎂 🍾 

Our state was forced into lockdown on March 19, 2020.  My last day in the office was March 13, 2020.  I've been working from home since then.  One of my team members has worked longer from home than in the office.  My company hired 7 people since lockdown who've never even been in the office.  And one of those was hired and fired within the time we've been working from home.

• Surprise 1

Monday, March 16, 2020 we went into the office, and they told us we would be working from home. I never thought it would last this long. Now they're talking about us phasing back in starting in May. I wouldn't mind going back, but it'll be weird wearing shirts without something stupid written on it or actual pants. 

• Laugh 2

15 minutes ago, Superclam said:

but it'll be weird wearing shirts without something stupid written on it or actual pants. 

HARD PANTS! you’ll be wearing hard pants. LOSER. 

We have worked continuously at the one job and went home early April for the other job. I have many many coworkers I’ve never seen and currently our “team chat” app isn’t working so I don’t even know their names. 

• Laugh 3

5 minutes ago, nachomama said:

HARD PANTS! you’ll be wearing hard pants. LOSER. 

We have worked continuously at the one job and went home early April for the other job. I have many many coworkers I’ve never seen and currently our “team chat” app isn’t working so I don’t even know their names. 

@nachomama you make me laugh, and that is a good thing. I think it would be interesting to know you in real life. 

A lot of people have left my agency in the last year, some retired, some fired. One guy quit, moved to Indiana for a new job, got laid off from that job and then came back. The guy in my row who talked loudly to himself was let go. (YAY!) 

The sad part is we used to have big parties when somebody retired and now we have zoom meetings. 😞

9 hours ago, Superclam said:

The sad part is we used to have big parties when somebody retired and now we have zoom meetings. 😞

We used to get a pizza party or a wing party for the top 5 performers. They owe me like a years worth of wings. Mostly it was just an hour off the phones. I have gotten a $10 gift card and then the other day I noticed a $.72 credit or somthing in my direct deposity. I assumed it was a correction, they recently screwed up our bonus saturday money but it was a $10 bonus that they paid out separately...that also got taxed and they took out 401K so I ended up with 72 cents of my fabulous "reward".

• Laugh 1

nodorothyparker

At the request of several of you, we're starting a separate pullout thread on coronavirus discussion: how it's affecting you, what you're seeing, whether years and years of watching this show have taught us anything about surviving it, guarding your toilet paper hoard against dickish scavengers, whatever.  Please confine related discussion to this thread and out of Small Talk.