Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nachomama

Talking the Virus: So Far the One Without Zombies

That's why the sex, drugs and rock and roll should be reserved for the old people. I only want the mild drugs and my idea of party hearty is passing out on the couch at 9:30. It's pathetic but it's all I can manage. And you're not disappointed by sex that lasts a minute or 2 because you're really just in it for the snacks after.

• Like 2

I don't know if this is good or bad but I definitely don't feel wellish today. It's still just headache and earache. So that doesn't scream covid to me. After 30 some odd years of managing to take a shower without getting water in my ears I got water in my ears several weeks ago. Could I have given myself an ear infection that easily? As a child I got ear infections a lot. I am hearing a lot of bass in my left ear and there's an ache there. that's also where the tooth is. I THINK MY FRIGGIN WARRANTY IS UP AND SHITS ALL JUST FALLING APART.  >: (

• Sad 2

I'm already in line to see the dentist and awaiting my covid results once I know that I'll figure out what is my ear's deal. It's just a damn attention ho.

• Surprise 1

On 12/6/2020 at 11:23 PM, Nashville said:

Thanks y’all.  No change in his condition since he went in, but it’s still way early days - doctors already told him this is going to be a marathon, not a sprint.  At least his condition hasn’t deteriorated, which these days is about as much as you can hope for.

So much for the marathon.  They ended up putting David on a ventilator Wednesday afternoon, and by Thursday evening they’ve already had to resuscitate him twice.  His wife and kids have already headed up and are waiting outside the hospital; they want to be there for him, even if they can’t get in.

On 12/6/2020 at 11:23 PM, Nashville said:

And on a purely personal note: any brain-dead redneck shitheads mouthing off in my immediate vicinity about how the COVID threat is overblown political posturing - or how its impact is a mainstream media exaggeration - is quite literally begging for a full-force dickpunch.

True x10.

• Sad 5

Well, he’s still with us; last night he was circling the drain, then he pulled himself back and has actually stabilized some for the time being - O2 sat and blood pH levels back up to near-normal ranges (mid-90s).  The hospital staff is still pretty frank about the odds of his survival being in miracle territory - but they were also pretty sure he wouldn’t see Friday morning.

At least Vanderbilt has managed to work it so patients are able to have a visitor in the COVID ICU; only one at a time and no direct contact, but it’s still light-years better than dying alone in a room without seeing your family.  His wife and kids (both adults now) are rotating in shifts.

Edited by Nashville · Reason: Formatting
  • Like 3

My cousin's stepfather, who is about 76, got this in April or so. He was counted out - indubated, on a respirator, low oxygen, every sign pointed to him not making it. The doctor's basically told his family to say goodbye. I was just waiting for the facebook notification that he passed. Well, somehow, he managed to pull through. He was even featured in the local news. 

• Like 4

@NASHVILLE, it aint over till it's over. Whatever healing vibes are necessary, consider them sent.

I had to call for my results Friday, they claim they emailed me tuesday, nope they didn't but negative. I knew I had a headlight out but I didn't know I had both taillights out, so I got an embarrassing pullover, but at least just a warning. So I dropped my car off this morning and hopefully tomorrow with a fully functioning car I can actually go see a doctor about whether or not this is an ear infection or what?

• Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 4:05 AM, Nashville said:

Well, he’s still with us; last night he was circling the drain, then he pulled himself back and has actually stabilized some for the time being - O2 sat and blood pH levels back up to near-normal ranges (mid-90s).  The hospital staff is still pretty frank about the odds of his survival being in miracle territory - but they were also pretty sure he wouldn’t see Friday morning.

At least Vanderbilt has managed to work it so patients are able to have a visitor in the COVID ICU; only one at a time and no direct contact, but it’s still light-years better than dying alone in a room without seeing your family.  His wife and kids (both adults now) are rotating in shifts.

On 12/12/2020 at 6:13 AM, Superclam said:

My cousin's stepfather, who is about 76, got this in April or so. He was counted out - indubated, on a respirator, low oxygen, every sign pointed to him not making it. The doctor's basically told his family to say goodbye. I was just waiting for the facebook notification that he passed. Well, somehow, he managed to pull through. He was even featured in the local news. 

There is hope, my fellow posters.

Whilst walking a fine HIPAA line here, I would like to share that I've seen absolutely miraculous recoveries occurring out of a hospital in the mid west with whom I contract.  Several patients being written off who had amazing unexpected comebacks.  The common denominators so far appear to be remdesivir and dexamethasone.  I've no doubt identical miracles are coming out of all of the hospitals across the country.  

One particular patient was so not expected to make it, had been on a respirator for a few days, but turned the corner and 3 days later was sitting up, off any supplemental oxygen, eating, and conversing.  She was able to go home the next day.

Never give up hope.  Prepare for the worst, but don't be surprised if a medical miracle occurs.  

Stay safe, my friends.  ❤️    

• Like 4

On 12/14/2020 at 2:23 PM, Nashville said:

FYI - David passed away Sunday morning.

I was hoping not to hear that. A co worker of mine had the same happen to his brother in law. Strong and healthy one minute and in 30 days gone. My condolences to you and your family. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

I was hoping not to hear that. A co worker of mine had the same happen to his brother in law. Strong and healthy one minute and in 30 days gone. My condolences to you and your family. 

David was a high school teacher, healthy and teaching  class right up to the Thanksgiving break - then diagnosed w/COVID on Sunday 11/29, admitted to local hospital on Wed. 12/2, transferred to Vandy COVID ICU Friday 12/4, went on ventilator Wed. 12/9, resuscitated twice Thu. 12/10, died Sunday 12/13.  Two weeks to the day from diagnosis to death - so anybody telling you that this takes forever and only affects those already in ill health is absolutely full of shit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 12/14/2020 at 7:23 PM, Nashville said:

FYI - David passed away Sunday morning.

Sorry for the loss of someone you cared about, two months after a similar loss I can absolutely empathise.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

And we thought Christmas couldn’t get any worse, apparently a new strain of COVID 19 has been detected in England, a strain that is even more easily transferable than the previous. As such France has, along with many other European countries stopped any travel from the UK into their lands.

We now have thousands and thousands of trucks being held in queues on motorways ‘freeways’ and truck parks. We not only have deliveries waiting to go out to mainland europe, we have thousands of European trucks who have delivered into the UK and who want to get home to their families for Christmas who cannot move an inch.

The press are already talking about ‘shortages’ in fresh fruit and vegetables as early as Boxing Day, we all know what “shortages” mean when mentioned in the press, and yes, already there are reports of fruit and salad isles being stripped bare. The toilet paper frenzy seems to be repeating itself.

Apparently there are now many countries who are refusing to accept flights from those emanating from the UK.

Merry Christmas one and all 😔

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 3

We've been going through a new lockdown over Xmas week and beyond and for now you can't buy anything that is not deemed "essential". I had to go to the pharmacy last week and whole aisles carried signs telling us we couldn't have anything on those shelves. Thank goodness pills and booze are still deemed essential. 😕

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

We've been going through a new lockdown over Xmas week and beyond and for now you can't buy anything that is not deemed "essential". I had to go to the pharmacy last week and whole aisles carried signs telling us we couldn't have anything on those shelves. Thank goodness pills and booze are still deemed essential. 😕

That's insane.  If you're already there, why can't you pick up a non-essential item?

I know it drove me nuts in the very beginning of the pandemic when some of the stores around here did that.  Food, medication and clothing were all that were "essential."  What if all the plates in the house broke because someone was tired of cooking everyday?  

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

2 hours ago, madmax said:

That's insane.  If you're already there, why can't you pick up a non-essential item?

I have no idea, nor do I know how it was decided what's essential and what's not - it seems hand lotion is and Xmas socks are not. Or maybe it was the other way around. I forget.🤔

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

We've been going through a new lockdown over Xmas week and beyond and for now you can't buy anything that is not deemed "essential".

As of last night the whole country entered full lockdown, you can’t leave the house except for a few valid reasons, pretty much only shops selling food and meds are open, no pubs, restaurants or entertainment. We now have the more easily transferable Covid variant about to sweep the country, South Africa apparently have their own variant which I’m sure will be winging its way here soon. Still, at least summer is on its way ☀️

• Sad 2

Good luck to you @maggie. I no longer know what is up or down. I realize I have not been fully locked down this whole time like in other places. I've still gone to work for 1 job, we've had "reduced" hours but I do get out of my house Mon-Thurs. Yes bored because we can't go other places but full restrictions I haven't truly experienced. But I was already nutty as a fruitcake before any of this so I couldn't really blame the lockdown on my cuckoo.

• Laugh 2

1 hour ago, nachomama said:

But I was already nutty as a fruitcake before any of this so I couldn't really blame the lockdown on my cuckoo.

Having always been one of life’s weirdos, I don’t have ‘normal’ to compare it to, yet I truly think it helps in situations like this 🤪

• Like 1

I got my stimulus yesterday! Again, I don't need it, whereas people who do probably aren't getting it. 

• Like 1

I got mine Jan 1st. and my sister promptly found something for me to "lend" it to her for. I've been doing a lot of angry sleeping, 2021 isnt' letting up on me. My niece...my sister and a few friends being dickwads.

• Sad 1

On 1/5/2021 at 10:10 AM, nachomama said:

I got mine Jan 1st. and my sister promptly found something for me to "lend" it to her for. I've been doing a lot of angry sleeping, 2021 isnt' letting up on me. My niece...my sister and a few friends being dickwads.

I hope/wish you didn’t lend it to her.  Purely my own personal experience talking here, but capitulation to such requests simply reinforces the behavior.  Eventually they take your acquiescence for granted, requests become demands, and the amounts get bigger and bigger - right up until you put your foot down, say “no more”, and MEAN it.  
The resulting tearful/raging scene(s) will be extremely unpleasant, no doubt - but it is truly the only way they’ll ever learn you aren’t their own personal piggy bank.  And amazingly few people ever actually DIE in the course of learning that lesson.

Again - speaking solely from my own personal experience here.

• Like 2

The goal with my sister is not to ever have her show up on my doorstep. She just showed up one day on my sisters and didn't leave for 7-8 years and mooched off of her. I'm going to pay her property taxes. Which is something I agreed to do with the dead sister. What she needs the money for  is her septic system, some cracked pipe. So she passive agressively tells me "oh no, septic pipe cracked and a plumber is going to charge me $95 an hour" I asked when her next SSI "chunk" of cash is coming and she said April. I said "well I'd schedule that around april or find a plumber that will take payments".  So she's on her own with the plumbing. but in order for the state or county to not seize the property, if I have to pay the property taxes forever, I will. Her utilities can get turned off, no cable, whatever I aint paying for that but the taxes will be paid. (Actually quite cheap compared to the rest of the country, my own taxes are 4 times as high) But yes, she and my niece both kind of have their hands out. Nothing I can do about the niece either, she's in prison. I told her what I can afford ($50) a  month and she can figure it out from there. Her step dad sends me money every once in a while to bump it up. He's not unreliable but he does things on his own time. He owes her nothing, he was divorced from my sister since she was 10, the fact that he is not her father and she maintained a relationship with him is astonishing. She's robbed his house before (or set him up with her friends to rob him) I think he feels that helping her is his amends for what went down with my sister. He was an alcoholic and there might have been stairs and a broken wrist involved.

Apparently the goal in prison is to not eat any of the food they serve you and to eat entirely from the commissary. Guess what? Not on my dime. My taxes pay for the food they make. I'm sure it is garbage. But she keeps telling me about pizza day and ice cream day. she bought 12 <-- TWELVE pies for thanksgiving. They're individual size and like a buck but she bought 12! She wanted pecan and pumpkin nad they were all out so she ended up with apple and cherry which she complained about...and then told me she ate them all in one day. (This child is not fat, I say child she's 45) And ice cream day they can get pints and she ordered 4! The thing about ice cream...she has no storage, the pies she can keep in her "locker" thing at least overnight if not a couple days...ice cream doesn't do well in a locker which means she knew she'd have to eat all of it in one sitting. Or share (maybe that helps in prison?) I know I'm not the one sitting there for the next 5 years but you're irritating me with your ice cream stories. It will be better when she gets to her final destination (ha!) right now she's being shuffled around because of covid. So every time she moves she loses all her stuff, any extra clothes she's purchased, things like radios or headsets, any "perks" so she has to rebuy them all. She has to make 1 more move to Oklahoma for her drug counseling classes and then her final prison stop which she can request but not guarantee. She wants to look into what the different prisons offer. Her last prison stint she learned wood working and did ok as a cabinet maker/fitter when she got out. She's looking at cosmetology for the next thing. She can earn money once she's in a permanent place but cannot while she's "temporary"

• Surprise 1

On 1/5/2021 at 6:31 AM, OoohMaggie said:

As of last night the whole country entered full lockdown, you can’t leave the house except for a few valid reasons, pretty much only shops selling food and meds are open, no pubs, restaurants or entertainment.

Starting this coming Saturday it will be the same here in Quebec - curfew, food/drug stores only, fines if out without valid reason after 8p.m. -  after a huge surge in cases over Xmas. I don't know what the answer is. Maybe people need a kick in the ass to take this seriously?

• Like 1

They just lifted our 3 week lockdown on Monday.  Let's hope the idiots who weren't responsible during Christmas don't get us into another one.

• Like 3

On 1/7/2021 at 2:47 PM, madmax said:

They just lifted our 3 week lockdown on Monday.  Let's hope the idiots who weren't responsible during Christmas don't get us into another one.

dream on

Edited by 1 who Knocks-Nuihc
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 8:43 AM, OoohMaggie said:

Having always been one of life’s weirdos, I don’t have ‘normal’ to compare it to, yet I truly think it helps in situations like this 🤪

OoohMaggie I'm happy to see you're still alive here - been away for some time - world sure has changed since my last post

On 12/17/2020 at 4:01 PM, Nashville said:

David was a high school teacher, healthy and teaching  class right up to the Thanksgiving break - then diagnosed w/COVID on Sunday 11/29, admitted to local hospital on Wed. 12/2, transferred to Vandy COVID ICU Friday 12/4, went on ventilator Wed. 12/9, resuscitated twice Thu. 12/10, died Sunday 12/13.  Two weeks to the day from diagnosis to death - so anybody telling you that this takes forever and only affects those already in ill health is absolutely full of shit.

Sorry for your loss Nashville (from the other Nashville person)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 1 who Knocks-Nuihc said:

OoohMaggie I'm happy to see you're still alive here - been away for some time - world sure has changed since my last post

It’s very nice to hear from you, I thought I was the last of the AMC’ers. Yeah, it’s been a hell of a year and I hope it hasn’t treated you too badly 🤗

On 1/9/2021 at 2:07 PM, OoohMaggie said:

It’s very nice to hear from you, I thought I was the last of the AMC’ers. Yeah, it’s been a hell of a year and I hope it hasn’t treated you too badly 🤗

so far so good. I've been worried tho since there are many fools here both private and gov't people making things worse. I bought me a sabre red pepper gel i carry on my key-chain that I refer to as my social distancing enforcement tool. I'm still caretaker for my 80 year old mom and with my diabetes I work very hard to avoid the virus. I really am looking forward to getting the vaccine if the incompetent idiots ever get the distribution right. What a world we occupy today. I keep expecting to see walkers any day now.

Later....

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, 1 who Knocks-Nuihc said:

so far so good. I've been worried tho since there are many fools here both private and gov't people making things worse.

Whereabouts is “here”, if you don’t mind my asking?  Sounds a lot like my neck of the woods.  🙂

6 hours ago, nachomama said:

Has anybody here had the vaccine?

If the current TN vaccine rollout schedule holds, I won’t be up for a shot until somewhere around late March / early April.

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

If the current TN vaccine rollout schedule holds, I won’t be up for a shot until somewhere around late March / early April.

That's kind of what I'm expecting. Since I work for the local gov't, I may get it a few weeks early. 

7 minutes ago, Superclam said:

That's kind of what I'm expecting. Since I work for the local gov't, I may get it a few weeks early. 

Semi-echo; fed, not local.

• Surprise 1

I'm in what PA calls Phase 2, so I don't expect to get mine until late Spring.  I can't find any details on when they actually expect Phase 2 to be started.

6 hours ago, madmax said:

I'm in what PA calls Phase 2, so I don't expect to get mine until late Spring.  I can't find any details on when they actually expect Phase 2 to be started.

@madmax - I tried googling around for PA’s Phase 2 schedule, but couldn’t find anything more concrete than “probably late spring / early summer”.

13 hours ago, Nashville said:

@madmax - I tried googling around for PA’s Phase 2 schedule, but couldn’t find anything more concrete than “probably late spring / early summer”.

Thanks for looking!  That's what I got, too.  I'm perfectly fine with waiting.  My interactions with people other than 3 family members are nearly non-existent and I can work from home indefinitely.  Never thought I'd like it - and I didn't at first - but now I love it.

I might get upset if they want me to go back to work for my night job. As long as I keep my numbers up. I know there are many struggling, as in how can you be late to work in your own home? or late from breaks. I get it, you just walked to the kitchen for a snack and then it's 30 minutes later. I set a timer. but I can even work extra hours if I'm doing it from home. They've been offering up to 45 hours a week (I can never achieve that) but I grab an extra 5 a week for myself. Which I wouldn't do if I had to drive there because I'd be off at midnight and then have to drive home after I left my house at 7 am that morning. I'd be passing out on my drive home. I've been working 2-3 hours on a Sunday and I wouldn't want to drive for that. Here's how lazy I am, Sundays work doesn't start until 1 (they dont want us calling people until after church, ha) so working 1-4 really screws up my afternoon, I don't wanna get up early (put clothes on) to go out to do my laundry or get my groceries. I can stay in pj's to go pick up curbside groceries. but if I have to go in anywhere that's putting on "hard" pants. I'm not as addicted to sweats and pj's as some, I do go to my day job Monday-thursday in hard pants. hahahaha but yeah, weekends are for pj's. I'm an idiot.

• Laugh 2

@nachomama

I love that you call them "hard pants!"  I'm going to start using that.  I got a bunch of "soft" pants for Christmas because I was wearing out the ones I had.

Hard pants tickles me too. I evaluate every "leaving the house" experience as "hard pants" worthy or not. My pj pants are probably 15-20 years old. Every once in a while I pull on some yoga pants (nothing like lulu lemon or these new fangled ones) old school...holes in them and I remember why I quit wearing them. Last week, dragging my laundry basket, my pants nearly fell off. Oh yeah! no drawstring to cinch those puppies up. So I'm Quasimodo with one hand holding up pants the one leg kicking the laundry basket while the other drags it. Oh, no, I'm not the "people of Walmart" why do you ask??

• Laugh 4

We’ve got the original strain of Covid, our own variant, the Brazilian variant and yes, lo and behold we’ve now got a hundred or so cases of the South African variant, I remember mentioning it would soon be winging its way here. 
The UK is slowly dying as a fully functioning society, a decision needs to be made! 😔

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Sad 3

Anybody get their vaccine yet? I got mine yesterday. My arm hurts a little and I'm tired, but other than that I'm fine. 

nodorothyparker

At the request of several of you, we're starting a separate pullout thread on coronavirus discussion: how it's affecting you, what you're seeing, whether years and years of watching this show have taught us anything about surviving it, guarding your toilet paper hoard against dickish scavengers, whatever.  Please confine related discussion to this thread and out of Small Talk.