nachomama

Talking the Virus: So Far the One Without Zombies

6 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Unfortunately there were no duelling banjos

"Unfortunately"? 🤔

• Laugh 3

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

"Unfortunately"? 🤔

Ha! I had the same thought. Any time "Deliverance" is not re-enacted, consider that a blessing. 

2 hours ago, nachomama said:

I’m always fascinated by what people want to see in ‘Murica. Do most people have any idea what’s in the middle part? You know coasts, east and west. California nyc Chicago. Do you even know we have CAR henge? It’s like stone henge just with cars. Because we are trash. 😄 a corn maze in Iowa? The worlds biggest ball of twine? 

I've been through most of the eastern seaboard, alot of the Great Lakes area, California and Oregon and I went to Las Vegas once. Beyond that, I haven't seen a lot of the Midwest or western part of the US. I'd like to see Alaska & Hawaii, and I'd like to at least say I've been to Texas. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

"Unfortunately"? 🤔

Yeah, I love seeing the ‘real’ country 😆, maybe not the pig squealing bit. I did have the film Southern Comfort at the back of my mind driving through Louisiana though.

• Laugh 1

7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

"Unfortunately"? 🤔

Hey, now - different strokes for different folks.  😎

• Laugh 2

9 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'd like to see Alaska & Hawaii, and I'd like to at least say I've been to Texas

You aint missin nothin. I'd like to see Alaska and Hawaii as well. You know the whole reason this corona virus started is because I had decided to finally do things. Because I wanted to go to Hawaii and Australia is the reason TPTB had to burn down Australia and give us a virus that brings the world to a screeching halt and then made us all angry so that we go slap each other around in the streets.

Most of my "seeing" of America was when I was very, very young. I did not appreciate the Great Salt Lake when I was 4 because it was "itchy". I did not appreciate Old Faithful because it smelled like rotten eggs. I hated nature because when we tromped through the woods to go see baby bambi or bears or something, they weren't there when we got there. Road trips with my grandma and my dad were a nightmare, my grandma whopping us upside the head with a hair brush because we cried when she brushed our hair and my sister pinching my butt for some odd reason because she was obsessed with it.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

Ported from another thread:

1 hour ago, nachomama said:

Grocery store "sell by" dates are not necessarily expiration dates, yes if still sealed you should get beyond the date, it's up to you. I figure the more you push it, the more your stomach will survive the apocalypse, which appears to be nye.

Frankly, I think the human race is well overdue for a good slate-wiper (not saying such is desirable, mind you, just that the nature of ecology makes occasional plagues a near-certainty over sufficient spans of time). Mother Nature keeps taking shots at us, but in general we’ve simply gotten too good at countering her moves; every time She cooks up a new flu strain or other disease to throw at humans, either (a) it overshoots its lethality and kills off infected hosts before they get the opportunity to really spread it around, or (b) we’ve been able to spin up a vaccine before the body count got statistically significant.  As a result, human population has exploded exponentially beyond any levels compatible with the biosphere - we are currently at a point where we are killing the environment quicker than it can recover.
I think Momma N may be on to something now, though, because she’s found a way to weaponize our biggest vulnerability against us - our own hubris and stupidity.

Edited by Nashville · Reason: Typo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Nashville said:

Frankly, I think the human race is well overdue for a good slate-wiper

I've been saying that for years. "Idiocracy" is here. One glance at the news or at some brain-dead social media further convinces me that the gene pool needs a massive dose of bleach. If I'm one of the purge casualties, so be it.

3 hours ago, Nashville said:

Mother Nature keeps taking shots at us

She's trying her damndest, isn't she? She probably feels the way I did once when I was trying to get rid of a massive  ant infestation. "I"ve tried hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, fire, locusts, diseases and earthquakes. Nothing works!"😡

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

She's trying her damndest, isn't she? She probably feels the way I did once when I was trying to get rid of a massive  ant infestation. "I"ve tried hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, fire, locusts, diseases and earthquakes. Nothing works!"😡

I’ve often felt that MN has somehow been behind the two world wars. It’s always the best and bravest of humankind that is eliminated first, the body count in WW1 clearly wasn’t enough, so bring on the Spanish Flu. WW2 was much more bountiful, it just left the requirement for the odd ‘top up’ war through the following decades. I fear if COVID 19 doesn’t have the required effect, the nukes may soon start flying, have a nice day y’all 😁

Edited by OoohMaggie

10 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I’ve often felt that MN has somehow been behind the two world wars. It’s always the best and bravest of humankind that is eliminated first

I don't blame MN for wars. That's all evil human doings. Natural selection doesn't take the healthiest, strongest young breeding stock. It leaves the strongest and takes the weak and the old.

One good thing about this virus: The earth is getting a little breather to try and recover a bit before humans get back to the business of destroying it. I've seen birds, like purple finches, in my backyard I never saw before. That's a good thing.  Raccoons and squirrels have bred in my shed. Ok, so that's NOT a good thing, but oh, well. I'm resigned to it. 😏 At least it's not skunks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I don't blame MN for wars. That's all evil human doings. Natural selection doesn't take the healthiest, strongest young breeding stock. It leaves the strongest and takes the weak and the old.

If your belief is that we’re all offspring of MN, then maybe the evil ones are part of the plan, along with thinning out the ‘best’ leaving a much weaker world for her cleaning plan to flourish in. Nonsense aside, I blame Space Spores 👽

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Laugh 1

We in the UK seem to be becoming far too lax on the restrictions previously enforced, I fear greatly that we’re going to experience a second wave of increased infections / deaths due to COVID 19.

Understandably people are getting fed up with having to live the way they have for the previous few months, I can’t wait to hear their responses.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

We in the UK seem to be becoming far too lax on the restrictions previously enforced, I fear greatly that we’re going to experience a second wave of increased infections / deaths due to COVID 19.

Understandably people are getting fed up with having to live the way they have for the previous few months, I can’t wait to hear their responses.

And of course, you won't be surprised to hear that is happening across the pond as well. Even in NYC, where we got battered, the mask and social distancing thing seems to be more of a suggestion now. There are signs on the doors of supermarkets saying you have to wear a mask, but no one is enforcing it. Not to mention the protests that are happening every day. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Superclam said:

There are signs on the doors of supermarkets saying you have to wear a mask, but no one is enforcing it. Not to mention the protests that are happening every day. 

Even though I’ve got more reason than most to stick to, and hope that others stick to the restrictions we’ve been adhering to, I do understand how fed up people are getting with the whole situation, I’m climbing the walls myself.

I went to the supermarket this afternoon, Saturday normally being a busy day I expected a queue half way around the car park, but no, I walked straight into the packed store, they’ve got arrows on the floor directing customers to which way they would like them to circulate, they’d needn’t have bothered, nobody was paying any attention. 

I wonder if the same people will be the first to complain if we experience a second lockdown 😱

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

Even though I’ve got more reason than most to stick to, and hope that others stick to the restrictions we’ve been adhering to, I do understand how fed up people are getting with the whole situation, I’m climbing the walls myself.

I went to the supermarket this afternoon, Saturday normally being a busy day I expected a queue half way around the car park, but no, I walked straight into the packed store, they’ve got arrows on the floor directing customers to which way they would like them to circulate, they’d needn’t have bothered, nobody was paying any attention. 

I wonder if the same people will be the first to complain if we experience a second lockdown 😱

Exactly the same in the U.S., at least that I've seen. The weather is nice here, and people are sick of staying in, not to mention the economic impact. 

I took my kid to the playground yesterday and I can't say I did a good job with her at social distancing. She was playing with the other kids, most of whom weren't wearing masks. 

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

There’s been a significant kickback against continued mask-wearing in my area, and one of the most commonly-voiced objections also happens to be (IMHO) one of the most utterly asinine rationalizations ever: government-directed mask-wearing is a violation of individual personal liberty.  Apparently their exercise of personal liberty extends to potentially infecting dozens - maybe hundreds - of others, should they be infected but asymptomatic.

21 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

What wonder?  Of course they will be.

• Like 3

A lot of places require people to wear masks, which got me thinking.

In nudist colonies and on nude beaches, wouldn't people be required to wear underwear?

Wouldn't a fart travel just as far as a sneeze?  Just askin'.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Laugh 2

On 6/14/2020 at 11:33 AM, Nashville said:

one of the most utterly asinine rationalizations ever: government-directed mask-wearing is a violation of individual personal liberty.

I actually saw someone on some news site say that! "My Constitutional rights and blah blah!" I was unaware that included the right to spread viruses around.

I swear people had more sense in the Middle Ages, even though they had no notion of viruses or bacteria.

On 6/13/2020 at 3:24 PM, Superclam said:

I took my kid to the playground yesterday and I can't say I did a good job with her at social distancing.

I was thinking all along how hard all this has to be for people with little kids. 😕

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

I was thinking all along how hard all this has to be for people with little kids. 😕

It is, but it's actually harder for the pre-teens. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Wouldn't a fart travel just as far as a sneeze?  Just askin'.

Apparently it’s the droplets of moisture contained within a sneeze that actually carry the virus, so unless you previously had a very hot curry, I can’t imagine an average fart containing said moisture, but hey, who ever imagined we’d be talking about wet farts in 2020 😱

I think the forum has reached a whole new level of class 😂

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Laugh 4

55 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I think the forum has reached a whole new level of class 

I guess you weren't here when we had a huge, illustrated discussion of dick cakes?

It is, but it's actually harder for the pre-teens.

At least they can mostly understand the "why"of it. I thought they communicate only through phones, emojiis, and social media anyway, these days. 🤔

The little ones can't understand and just know they can't do what they used to do.

• Laugh 4

56 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I guess you weren't here when we had a huge, illustrated discussion of dick cakes?

I missed that. I don't know if I'm sorry or not. 🤪

57 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

The little ones can't understand and just know they can't do what they used to do.

Well, mine is 6, so she kind of gets it. It would be a lot worse if she were 2/3, especially with the playgrounds closed. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

I most certainly was not, I’m not sure which would alarm me more, the discussion or the illustrations 😱

although I may well regret this request, please  tell me more 🤔

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Laugh 1

I missed that. I don't know if I'm sorry or not. 🤪

I guess that would depend on if you measure up or not.

• Laugh 2

18 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I guess that would depend on if you measure up or not.

It's not the size of the cake, but the sweetness of the frosting. 

I have no idea what that means, but it sound inappropriate enough. 

• Laugh 2

1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

I most certainly was not, I’m not sure which would alarm me more, the discussion or the illustrations 😱

The cutting of the cake. 

4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Apparently it’s the droplets of moisture contained within a sneeze that actually carry the virus, so unless you previously had a very hot curry, I can’t imagine an average fart containing said moisture, but hey, who ever imagined we’d be talking about wet farts in 2020 😱

I think the forum has reached a whole new level of class 😂

I wouldn't take any chances.  They need to cover that thing up or put a cork in it.  Of course the pressure would probably build up too much, and the cork would probably take out someone's eye.

I still can't find any yeast for baking.  After all this time, and the stores still don't have it.

I do wonder at what point there might be a huge mask sale.  At some point the market for them has to be saturated..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

although I may well regret this request, please  tell me more

It's pretty much what it sounds like - a discussion about dick cakes, with photos of such. I know it's hard to believe anyone would go to a bakery and order a dick cake, but it seems to be so. Don't ask me how that topic came up.  If you go way back on the Small Talk thread you will see some of the most non-linear discussions ever.

There were so many more people here then. 😧

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I do wonder at what point there might be a huge mask sale. 

I saw them advertised on TeeVee late last night, in between the drug-pushing ads, for 0.99 cents each.

I missed the dick cake?

So we went to the drive in, was supposed to be ET and ghostbusters I think, but it changed before we got there and so we saw Jurassic park numero uno and Jaws. It was funnish but honestly, I don't think I'm doing it again or at least get better friends. hahaha It's hot yo, and we did this on almost the longest day of the year so the damn thing didn't start til 9:30  and we left at like 1:30 for movies we've all seen many times. For some reason my friend doesn't believe she can run the car with a/c the whole time. So we sat through the first movie in the heat and humidity, I tried to complain quietly not overtly. The only reason we got windows rolled up was because a bug got in the car so she proceeded to swat at it with her flashlight lit so I'm fairly certain anyone around us wondered who was having a seizure in the next car. Also because she wouldn't leave the car on, you listen to the movie through the car radio now, and her car has a safety feature where every 10 minutes it shuts itself down. Not that it mattered because, again, movies we've seen many times. Early on in Jaws, when the lifeguards call all the people in, it's either when the kids have the fake fin or the kid gets chomped one of the lifeguards in the foreground is going commando and if you're watching on a big screen his nards are the size of a vw beetle and she made me miss pointing that out while the car shut off and she was frantically freaking out about the bug. I do love Quint though.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Drive-in movies are being brought back here as well, due to the virus. Old ones are re-opening and some new one are being built. Who would have thought?

I might actually go to a movie now, for the first time in 15 years. Drive-ins are an improvement over those nasty cinder-block bunkers in desolate malls with an audience acting as though they're chilling with friends, texting, yakking, etc.

The temps for the last week here have been averaging in the low to mid 90's, so I'll to pass on the drive-ins for now. My home a/c is my best friend.

1 hour ago, nachomama said:

one of the lifeguards in the foreground is going commando and if you're watching on a big screen his nards are the size of a vw beetle

😄 I first read that as in he was naked and thought, "They had full frontal in "Jaws"?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I first read that as in he was naked and thought, "They had full frontal in "Jaw

I think it was just something that slipped past editing. It's just an extra who blows a whistle while everybody panics and it's not until you blow the thing up to the drive in size that you notice his baws dangling. (geddit baws/jaws) I'm just so delightful. Last summer we went to see a flashback theater showing of jaws and that was the first time I'd ever seen it not edited for television or just on regular tv so boom we got it up close.

• Laugh 1

17 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I saw them advertised on TeeVee late last night, in between the drug-pushing ads, for 0.99 cents each.

I think those are the disposable ones.  That gets pretty pricey after awhile.

23 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The cutting of the cake. 

I wouldn't take any chances.  They need to cover that thing up or put a cork in it.  Of course the pressure would probably build up too much, and the cork would probably take out someone's eye.

Standard nudist equipment is a towel for whenever sitting or other such contact is required, which I expect would be at least as efficacious as a sub-N95 mask.

5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I first read that as in he was naked and thought, "They had full frontal in "Jaws"?

Yeah - different movie with the same name, though.  You could find it in that little room in the back of the video rental....  😁

• Laugh 1

As bad as I am with sunburns when I'm not exposing my delicate parts, sheesh I don't ever want to experience sun burns buns n tiddies. I did read a while back about the people going and essentially, uh, aiming "it" at the sun...I just don't want scorched lady bits.

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I think those are the disposable ones.  That gets pretty pricey after awhile.

It seems you can reuse them. I've been doing this. https://www.today.com/health/reusing-face-masks-how-remove-clean-store-safely-t180985

Can you reuse a disposable mask Yes, if you follow these steps.png

44 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Yeah - different movie with the same name, though.  You could find it in that little room in the back of the video rental....  😁

Oh, kind of like the X-rated version of "Romancing the Stone" = "Romancing the Bone"?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

14 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Oh, kind of like the X-rated version of "Romancing the Stone" = "Romancing the Bone"?

Yup - and “Genital Hospital”, “The Adventures of Tracey Dick”, “Dickman and Throbbin’”, etc. - except “Jaws” didn’t even need to change its name to be dirty.  😄

• Laugh 2

58 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Yup - and “Genital Hospital”, “The Adventures of Tracey Dick”, “Dickman and Throbbin’”, etc.

You seem to be a connoisseur of this particular art form. 😏😂

• Laugh 2

You seem to be a connoisseur of this particular art form. 😏😂

Getcher mind outta the gutter - at one point in my work career, I put in some hours at MegaVideo (local low-rent version of a Blockbuster).  Hell, I told you I was old.  😄

• Laugh 2

On 6/21/2020 at 4:10 PM, icemiser69 said:

The cutting of the cake. 

I still can't find any yeast for baking.  After all this time, and the stores still don't have it.

I do wonder at what point there might be a huge mask sale.  At some point the market for them has to be saturated..

Macy's had a bunch of them in all sorts of fabrics and patterns and they were only $5 each. This was in the Macy Backstage section. There was a whole display of them at the Backstage checkout registers.

• Useful 1

15 hours ago, Nashville said:

Yup - and “Genital Hospital”, “The Adventures of Tracey Dick”, “Dickman and Throbbin’”, etc. - except “Jaws” didn’t even need to change its name to be dirty.  😄

What?  No, "Pokin' Granny in the Fanny?"

Drive In theaters may grow in popularity, but once the pandemic is over with, then what?  Will people still go, or will they return to their regularly scheduled programming?

Most of the Drive In theaters I grew up around have been turned into shopping centers.  So, unless someone wants to buy land and build one, thinking, if they build it they will come, that is more than a bit of a gamble.  The one thing that would save on costs is using the radio as the listening device instead of having to wire an entire parking lot with speakers.  Still, buying land and putting up a big ass screen isn't going to be cheap.

11 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

Macy's had a bunch of them in all sorts of fabrics and patterns and they were only $5 each. This was in the Macy Backstage section. There was a whole display of them at the Backstage checkout registers.

Thank you for posting this. 

I have a fat head with its own gravitational pull, I need to use the kind that are washable and that I know will fit.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have a fat head with its own gravitational pull, I need to use the kind that are washable and that I know will fit.

I finally found some reusable masks that I don't hate. the "sleeve" ones were too tight on my neck, the literal bandanas are too loose. I found some that you can tie in the back and dangle the mouth/nose piece or tuck it in. It may not be "medical" grade but you can pin a disposable one inside and not look like a  nurse walking down the street. Not that there's anything wrong with looking like a nurse. I'm not one of those opposed to the masks because my personal liberties are offended, I just find them hot and hate having it under my chin or wherever. It's not fashion or vanity, it's pure laziness. My job is very isolated I don't have to wear it for long periods, I'm thankful in that respect, and I haven't been "shopping" or dining out so I don't need it 24/7 but I want something quick and easy. My neck issue being weird (seriously I cannot stress enough that nothing can touch my neck, it freaks me out) no turtlenecks, no chokers. Even though I sound like an idiot I just knew somewhere on the planet something existed that met my needs.

• Useful 1

Having to wear a mask must drive those nose pickers nuts.  On more than one occasion I have had a conversation with someone that for whatever reason couldn't resist going wrist deep up their nose.  👃 

What could have possibly been up there that couldn't be dug out at a later time, preferably when no one was around to see the task being acomplished.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Having to wear a mask must drive those nose pickers nuts.  On more than one occasion I have had a conversation with someone that for whatever reason couldn't resist going wrist deep up their nose.  👃 

What could have possibly been up there that couldn't be dug out at a later time, preferably when no one was around to see the task being acomplished.

My crazy sister has an obsessive nose picking problem. She got fired from a job for it and when she was all up in her batshit crazy town nonsense she was asked by the police if she ever wanted to kill herself (yes but just die, nothing "painful" just go poof and disappear) and did she want to kill anyone else. Yes, the high school photography teacher who she claims "allowed" someone to choose a photo of her where she was picking her nose and all the kids made fun of her and so that person should die. That was 32 years ago. She was in the background of the photo, no one tormented her on purpose.

• Surprise 1

9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Digging for gold.☝️

14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Did they enjoy their ‘nasal oyster’ 🤢

• Laugh 1

5 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

Digging for gold.☝️

Mining for booger nuggets?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

So. Okay. I see I came in at the wrong time. 😱

Give me a buzz when the booger talk is done.

• Laugh 1

On 6/24/2020 at 10:09 PM, AngelaHunter said:

S’not for a while, then.

• Laugh 3

On 6/24/2020 at 11:09 PM, AngelaHunter said:

I'm so sad, especially after I just picked one especially for you.👃

I suppose I could shift the subject matter to farting in the bath tub, but I suppose that would make a big stink.🦨

• Laugh 3

Hey, you guys! 'snot funny at all!

Penis cakes, fart jokes or in-depth discussions/speculations concerning Norman Reedus's public hair? Fine and dandy, but the line must be drawn somewhere and snot is where I draw mine.

One of the guys I worked with was filthy - looked like Pig Pen and I think he washed his hair with Crisco - and he would sit there ALL DAY picking his nose, only shifting to his ears to give the other crop a chance to regrow. We all feared his brain would cave in  with the booger mining or at the least that he might end up with snot in his ears and wax in his nose.

As if that wasn't bad enough, he ambushed me in the hall one day to ask if I wanted to go out with him. My mind reels in horror to this day at that memory.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

nodorothyparker

At the request of several of you, we're starting a separate pullout thread on coronavirus discussion: how it's affecting you, what you're seeing, whether years and years of watching this show have taught us anything about surviving it, guarding your toilet paper hoard against dickish scavengers, whatever.  Please confine related discussion to this thread and out of Small Talk.