Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nachomama

Talking the Virus: So Far the One Without Zombies

ditto on the maggie good vibes.

Made ribs, had a social distancing picnic. I hate nature but nothing bit me and we were in shade so I didn't spontaneously combust.

Things are slowly opening up here, we are, of course, the "testing" ground for relapse. If we open too early, then like Punxatawney Phil the rest of the country has 6 more weeks of quarantine.

I've heard from my prison niece. She's been moved to a different facility because of quarantine, to spread prisoners out. She's had a test and she's virus free but hadn't heard from her in a month. So now she's bored and needs more books and money, of course, so I got her an adult coloring book called "Leave me alone, I'm f*cking coloring" which I liked and a journal called "wreck this journal" which encourages ripping, tearing, staining etc . I'm sure both will secure her badass rep in prison. hahahaha

Now I want chinese food.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Now I want chinese food.

It was really good, and this place is generally mediocre. 

Today is the day my boss  implemented an executive order to wear face masks when answering the door and to offer a mask to anyone  who didn't have one. Granted we are not open to the public, public, we aren't a grocery store and have very little foot traffic. My boss delivers most things and he has been wearing his bandana thing around his neck the whole time. the only person coming to the door regularly lately is Postman and UPS dude and both are masked and gloved up. I don't go out in public, have been doing the shop online curbside pickup for most things so I've had masks in my car but truly haven't been using them much. But I guess I am now. Until I get a bandana one in the mail that I can have around my neck I've taken my little elastic ears one and put a rubber band around 1 ear hole and made a ponytail out of the mask so I can just reach around and attach the other ear when I need it. Yes, I've started a fashion trend. Yes it's hot and you may be jealous as hell all day.

• Laugh 1

Just got back from Walgreen's and they had hand sanitizer and Chlorox wipes! They keep them behind the counter so people don't hog them. 

• Laugh 1

46 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Just got back from Walgreen's and they had hand sanitizer and Chlorox wipes! They keep them behind the counter so people don't hog them. 

Pretty soon it will be like it used to be shopping for x-rated magazines. Sidle up to the counter, look all around and whisper, "Pssst. Got any hand sanitizer?"

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

On 5/18/2020 at 1:05 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Pretty soon it will be like it used to be shopping for x-rated magazines. Sidle up to the counter, look all around and whisper, "Pssst. Got any hand sanitizer?"

Around here, there's a big street vendor culture. Of course, there's been a lot less foot traffic lately, and parks are shut down, so they're doing a lot less business. So a lot of them have adapted and are selling hand sanitizer, gloves and rubbing alcohol. 

• Useful 1

20 hours ago, Superclam said:

. So a lot of them have adapted and are selling hand sanitizer, gloves and rubbing alcohol. 

I went to my local hardware store today and they had plenty of sanitizer and even masks in stock.  I think the shortages may be coming to an end.

• Like 1

I’m back,

first off, I wish to  thank you all for the thoughtful comments, they were very much appreciated. As was mentioned, my Mother who has Alzheimers took a rapid downturn shortly after this virus nonsense took hold, although thankfully nothing to do with virus.

I suddenly had to become her full time carer, had to give up work, even though pretty much bed bound she has a habit of trying to get up and walk a few steps, which results in her falling over, thankfully as yet without major injury but it means I can’t leave her for any more than a very quick trip to the supermarket.

I couldn’t have imagined how a persons life could have changed so rapidly, the stress and frankly, the depression, was a killer. I’m getting a bit more of a handle on it now and can hopefully resume some form of normal life, I hope you and your families are all ok and this nightmare will be over soon.

🤗

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Good to have you back, brother. Naturally, I assumed the very worst, because that's who I am. I wish you and your mom the best. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Good to have you back, brother. Naturally, I assumed the very worst, because that's who I am. I wish you and your mom the best. 

Thank you very much, it’s greatly appreciated 🙏

• Like 2

I’m sorry to hear that about your mom. I hope you are getting the rest or time off you need to keep yourself sane. 2020 can seriously go fuck itself. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, nachomama said:

2020 can seriously go fuck itself. 

For real. It aint even half over. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nachomama said:

I’m sorry to hear that about your mom. I hope you are getting the rest or time off you need to keep yourself sane. 2020 can seriously go fuck itself. 

Thank you, I have nothing but time off at the moment, although rest is a different matter. I couldn’t agree more about your 2020 comment, what makes it worse is that we’re having the best, in terms of weather, start to a summer that i can ever remember, April and May have been blue skies and hot hot hot. Coupled with the lockdown it’s as though someone is having a huge laugh at humankind’s expense 🙄

• Sad 1

I hope there is some kind of nursing service that can come and give you an afternoon/day off. Even if not now due to quarantine but eventually. It’s way more than a full time job to look after someone. My grandma got real bad and they hired a nurse for her and she thought the nurse was trying to kill her. She took frozen chicken out and stashed it in her underwear drawer and would go gnaw in it. You just can’t  fathom the ways the brain thinks to anticipate all the things they get up to. If I was not on a completely different continent I’d try to at least come sit so you could just take a nap or eat a meal. Hopefully you can squeeze in some self care and not just mom care. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, nachomama said:

If I was not on a completely different continent I’d try to at least come sit so you could just take a nap or eat a meal. Hopefully you can squeeze in some self care and not just mom care. 

Thank you so much 😊,

I do have plenty of time to myself, mainly because she sleeps a great deal. This does result in her waking up at any time and it seems mostly when I’m trying to sleep. I do have an alarm that alerts me when she swings her legs out of bed, but a dropped cup, pillow or quilt can also set the alarm off all through the night which adds to my level of fatigue.

There are people coming in four times a day to  wash and clean her, I can go out for half an hour to do some shopping when she’s asleep and I’m sure I could get someone to sit with her for a few hours, but what would I do? 
Before she became bed bound I used to find  all sorts hidden in drawers and cupboards in her bedroom, packets of microwave rice, a pack of uncooked duck pancakes that she’d eaten, apparently without any ill effect.

To those who’ve never experienced this sort of illness, it’s impossible to explain the things that can happen and what it’s like trying to manage it, my father died a long, slow, hideous death caused by Parkinsons and Dementia, so watching my Mother go through something similar is doubly painful.

Im not the one really suffering, so it’s just a case of looking after them as they looked after you, it is what it is, and thank you again for your comments.🙂

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Sad 2

I was going to ask if you can put a bell on her like she's a cat but that would be very frustrating as well. But if you've got the bed alert thing that's awesome. I'm so glad you have someone come in a few times a day, it gives you a few minutes where you aren't focused on her. I know there's nowhere you can really go but it's about your mental spirits.

When I was in high school I started listening for my mother. She had cancer and was on oxygen and used a wheelchair most of the time and if she woke up at night and didn't want to bother anyone she would try to get to the bathroom by herself. If she fell we couldn't pick her up, her bones were so brittle, we could break her ribs or pop her arm out of socket. She fell once and refused to let us call my dad at work and so we rolled her onto an ottoman so she could at least prop up and we just sat there all night with her until he came home. We learned all the nurse tricks for changing sheets with a patient in the bed and using the sheets as a sling to swing her over into the wheelchair. So basically I haven't slept right since I was 17.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, nachomama said:

We learned all the nurse tricks for changing sheets with a patient in the bed and using the sheets as a sling to swing her over into the wheelchair. So basically I haven't slept right since I was 17

I feel for you and what you went through, many’s the time I’ve had to pick her up off the bathroom floor, but I’m sure it makes us better people in the end. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Im not the one really suffering, so it’s just a case of looking after them

OH, but watching someone you love suffer and being helpless to do anything about it can be just as bad or even worse than if you were physically suffering yourself.

I lost my father when I was 17 and my mother when I was 39. After that, I dealt with stepfather who got Alzheimer's at only 62 and who took a long time to die of it. No matter the circumstances or your age the pain is not less.

• Like 2

I know you all have been wondering how I'm handling wearing a mask and remaining quite fashionable. Have no fear I'm here to share. Ok we have the disposable masks, we don't really do much public business so it hasn't been much of an issue but I don't like pulling the thing down like a chin strap but I also know that if I take it off then I'll wander from my desk and then someone will come to the door and I'll have to race to my desk to get the mask then race back to the door. So I let it dangle from my glasses, sexy, right? I also bought some "sleeve" things that you could rob a bank with. It's goes around your whole head and you can just pull up or down as needed. My problem with these is that they're too tight on my neck. By too tight I mean I can feel it on my neck. I have a weird neck phobia, I cannot wear chokers or turtle necks. Nothing can touch my neck it oogs me out. What I want and haven't been able to find is kind of a dangly bandana that stays tight enough on your face when you pull it up. I wore the sleeve ones as a hair band so i was pulling down onto my face rather than up from my neck. That made my hair look splendidly marvelous. So bought a couple bandanas and they're too loose. I finally figured out what I need! It's a cord lock. Didn't know you could purchase such a thing. I had a backpack once that you push the little button and it lets you cinch the bag closed and then it keeps it closed. None of these masky things comes with anything like this but I found I can buy them. I did find a package of 12 (otherwise you gotta buy 50-100)

So I can put my bandana ends through it and slide it tight and untight. Wheeeeee I'm frigging genius with my jaunty old lady scarfs. No I don't have a goldilocks complex, why do you ask? :D

• Laugh 4

Oh dear! Our nearest McDonalds drive through has just reopened after the lockdown has been eased, not only are cars  queuing around the block, they’re backing up onto a 2 x 2 lane road with a 60 mph limit, which means people will be doing 70+, I don’t mind a Big Mac once in a while but I wouldn’t be risking a families life over it 🍔 ⚰️

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Surprise 1

McD's here never closed, you just can't go inside one. I'm surprised I haven't seen longer drive-thru lines. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I don’t mind a Big Mac once in a while but I wouldn’t be risking a families life over it 🍔 ⚰️

Yet another one of the differences between Canadians and Americans.  😁

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Yet another one of the differences between Canadians and Americans.  😁

Give me two all-beef patties or give me death!! 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

18 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Give me two all-beef patties or give me death!! 

Which in this case can be quite true! One big mac please, hold the Covid.

All of our drive thrus have remained open. I have tried to refrain from going to them, if I must eat out I try to go to a locally owned, curbside, to try and keep people in business. McDonalds isn't going to suffer from the pandemic but everyone else is. As an introvert I will be quite sad when I can't get all my meals and groceries by curbside pickup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nachomama said:

if I must eat out I try to go to a locally owned, curbside, to try and keep people in business. McDonalds isn't going to suffer from the pandemic but everyone else is. As an introvert I will be quite sad when I can't get all my meals and groceries by curbside pickup.

That’s one of many things this country lacks, the street food and curb side culture of other nations, being able to snaffle chicken satay at 2am from a street vendor is one of life’s great pleasures. Police officer now positioned outside Mc D’s to prevent major road carnage, Excellent use of my taxes 🙄

Edited by OoohMaggie

16 hours ago, Nashville said:

Yet another one of the differences between Canadians and Americans.

OoohMaggie is actually a Brit. I'm your resident Canuck. 😆

I went to McDonald's once, about 17 years ago. My first and last visit.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Surprise 2

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

OoohMaggie is actually a Brit. I'm your resident Canuck. 😆

Apologies, @OoohMaggie

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

11 hours ago, Nashville said:

Apologies, @OoohMaggie

I didn’t notice that, I just thought it was a good joke 😁

13 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

It’s the ‘Special Sauce’ I have a craving now and again. I’ve only just found out they’re selling it separately in little pots, I may have to join that deadly queue 😛

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Laugh 1

38 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I didn’t notice that, I just thought it was a good joke 😁

Same here - never been one to let reality get in the way of good comedy.  😆

Edited by Nashville · Reason: Typo
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

8 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

OoohMaggie is actually a Brit. I'm your resident Canuck.

Although I did apply once, I was too young, no skills at that time and couldn’t speak French, so on your bicyclette monsieur. I’d love to live in either of your countries to be fair, maybe the longer periods of warmth in the south just getting the edge

• Laugh 1

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Although I did apply once, I was too young, no skills at that time and couldn’t speak French, so on your bicyclette monsieur.

You don't need French for most of the country, just Quebec. I doubt you'd enjoy the winters here, though. 🥶 But we do have poutine and tourtiere!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

It's been a while for me. I very rarely eat fast food, except for Subway, which I tell myself is healthy, when it definitely isn't. A few years back we stopped at a highway rest stop and I got a Whopper. I pretty much inhaled it, and honestly, it was delicious. I then had a stomachache for the rest of the 3 hour trip. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

You don't need French for most of the country, just Quebec. I doubt you'd enjoy the winters here, though. 🥶 But we do have poutine and tourtiere!

I did have a half brother living in Ottawa at the time, I had an interview at the Canadian embassy in London and the French thing did seem to matter at the time. Regarding winter, I do actually love the snow, but living where I have in England, we only get a sprinkling of snow every few years, normally it’s just cold, rainy and miserable for a few months.

If I actually experienced a ‘proper’ winter, where you can be guaranteed beautiful, deep, powdery snow where you could ski and board to your heart’s content, then I’m sure I would absolutely love it.
We seem to live in a half way house, we don’t get the best summers or winters, just a mish-mash of either, I’ll have to look up your recommendations 🤔

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Superclam said:

A few years back we stopped at a highway rest stop and I got a Whopper. I pretty much inhaled it,

The Whopper is definitely a superior product, a smear of Special Sauce and it would become legend 🤪

• Surprise 1

Burger King in general makes better hamburgers. McD's makes better fries. 

I am decidedly NOT a fan of the Big Mac, though. I've had maybe 2 in my whole life. Give me a Quarter Pounder or just a cheeseburger. I was a big fan of the McDLT, but those days are gone. 😞

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

If I actually experienced a ‘proper’ winter, where you can be guaranteed beautiful, deep, powdery snow where you could ski and board to your heart’s content, then I’m sure I would absolutely love it.

Yep, we have lots of that kind of snow, and every other kind. You want to experience it, then come to my house! Lots of fluffy white stuff on my deck.

mar9deckinsideSM.jpg

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

. I very rarely eat fast food, except for Subway,

Subway is the only FF place I visit. I love the steak and cheese with the Southwestern sauce and I don't care if it's healthy or not.

• Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

2 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Subway is the only FF place I visit. I love the steak and cheese with the Southwestern sauce and I don't care if it's healthy or not.

I get the chicken breast, or sometimes the turkey. It's also the only place the whole family can agree upon. 

• Like 2

Since I only go to Subway about 4 - 5 times a year, I just indulge myself. I even get a couple of their gooey, yummy Macadamia nut cookies.  It takes so very little to make me happy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

I am decidedly NOT a fan of the Big Mac, though. I've had maybe 2 in my whole life. Give me a Quarter Pounder or just a cheeseburger. I was a big fan of the McDLT, but those days are gone.

The only thing about the Big Mac is the special sauce, otherwise it’s just two burgers on top of each other. Subway was our food of choice when travelling, we’d get two hot foot longs for dinner, then keep half for later and place them over the vehicle’s windscreen vents set on hot for 30 mins, Mmm mmmm, it also works vey well when you have last night’s pizza for breakfast 😋

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Surprise 1

2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yep, we have lots of that kind of snow, and every other kind. You want to experience it, then come to my house! Lots of fluffy white stuff on my deck.

Wow, how do you not just run and jump into that? I suppose it must get a little tedious after a while, but still, that’s damn impressive ☃️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Wow, how do you not just run and jump into that?

I admit, I still sometimes make snow angels and just lie there for awhile if it's not -25 degrees. It's absolutely beautiful if you can just enjoy it and not have to go to work in it. Then it's hellish.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I admit, I still sometimes make snow angels and just lie there for awhile if it's not -25 degrees. It's absolutely beautiful if you can just enjoy it and not have to go to work in it. Then it's hellish

On a trip to Prague one New Years, my friend and I went to one of the local open air hot spring bathing establishments. It was minus whatever and there was a foot of snow all around the pools and we used to roll around in the snow, making angels and getting absolutely frozen. 
We then slid gracefully into the hot pools, jumping in was frowned upon by the locals, who thought we were loons anyway, it was absolute heaven. Only after spending half a day there did my ‘friend’ tell me I had a huge split up the back of my shorts, that explains the looks 😊

• Laugh 2

Not that I’ve lived everywhere in the US but I’d say North Carolina was near perfect weather. They do have snow in the mountains but the summers remain coolish and don’t have the humidity. I would think Nashville’s weather is pretty good too. Aside from tornados. 

• Laugh 1

On 6/5/2020 at 9:02 AM, AngelaHunter said:

But we do have poutine and tourtiere!

Trying to figure out if that’s an argument for or against.

11 hours ago, nachomama said:

Not that I’ve lived everywhere in the US but I’d say North Carolina was near perfect weather. They do have snow in the mountains but the summers remain coolish and don’t have the humidity. I would think Nashville’s weather is pretty good too. Aside from tornados. 

Tennessee and North Carolina weather are pretty much identical, which isn’t surprising - it’s usually the same weather.  😆  Same rain/storm systems, anyway, just separated time-wise by the few hours they take to run the length of TN into NC.  ⛈⛈

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

I would say North Carolina has more skiing and beach access. You'd wanna be far enough inland that you don't wash away with a hurricane. Some would say California is perfect but you got the earthquakes. Seattle too rainy. Southwest is hot and dry. So yeah I stick with North Carolina, if we're steering Maggie towards a place to hunker down. Of course all bets are off with 2020, we could have aliens after the locusts. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nachomama said:

So yeah I stick with North Carolina, if we're steering Maggie towards a place to hunker down.

I did drive through NC once on my way to Ottawa, i don’t remember a great deal, no offence to NC, but it did fortunately put me onto the Blue Ridge Parkway that runs along the mountains in Virginia, where I had one of the weirdest experiences of my life. What a beautiful drive that was, one amongst many in such a beautiful country.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Blue Ridge Parkway that runs along the mountains in Virginia, where I had one of the weirdest experiences of my life.

Did it involve banjo music? Pray tell...

also where did you start because generally I don't think of North Carolina being "on the way" to Ottowa but then again if you started super south and the journey was the drive then that's different.

We drove from New Mexico to Calgary with stops in Utah, Idaho etc. I appreciate drives like that as an adult but it sucked donkey balls as a child and how the hell we did it with no tablets, videos etc in the car, I'll never know. Part of me thinks I'd love to hit the road in an rv with no particular destination other than a direction but I aint got the money or time for that. Plus I might kill whoever I was with, you never know.

Edited by nachomama
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 4:38 PM, nachomama said:

Did it involve banjo music? Pray tell...

Unfortunately there were no duelling banjos, the event itself was weird but deathly dull for everyone else so I won’t bore people.

The journey didn’t start “super south” but somewhat north west. It actually started in Denver, then headed down to Dallas, stopping off in Lubbock, the birthplace of Buddy Holly 🤗, then on to Dallas to do the ‘Grassy Knoll’, from there down to and along the gulf coast to New Orleans and along to the NW corner of Florida. 
Then headed north through Alabama and Georgia, 30 years too early for the Walking Dead tour 😭, through South and North Carolina into Virginia and onto Washington DC, then to NYC through to Niagara Falls then across the border to Ottawa. 
I had a half brother and his family living in Ottawa at the time, so it wasn’t just a random destination, I’m not that crazy, most of the time 🙄

I think we all need to hit the road at some point as we get older, the impetuousness of youth has a lot going for it, especially after we’ve all been shut indoors for what feels like an eternity, I’d like to be an RV salesman after this nonsense is finally over.

Edited by OoohMaggie

I’m always fascinated by what people want to see in ‘Murica. Do most people have any idea what’s in the middle part? You know coasts, east and west. California nyc Chicago. Do you even know we have CAR henge? It’s like stone henge just with cars. Because we are trash. 😄 a corn maze in Iowa? The worlds biggest ball of twine? 

• Laugh 2

nodorothyparker

At the request of several of you, we're starting a separate pullout thread on coronavirus discussion: how it's affecting you, what you're seeing, whether years and years of watching this show have taught us anything about surviving it, guarding your toilet paper hoard against dickish scavengers, whatever.  Please confine related discussion to this thread and out of Small Talk.