Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nachomama

Talking the Virus: So Far the One Without Zombies

Apparently, someone from my second job ratted on my second job. As in called the mayor or city or whoever tptb are and said we weren't working from home. They had given us all letters that stated we were essential infrastructure for healthcare and tax stuff, which technically "we" do not do, in our department. but this person is a supervisor and I guess she wanted to work from home. I sincerely believe she could have gotten permission, she has 2 small kids that have to be home from school now and she cares for her elderly mother. Her husband is military and is currently swept up in whatever "activation" they're doing to ramp up the stay at home orders. They made arrangement for those that have compromised immune systems and got them sent to work from home earlier than us. I can't believe they wouldn't have done it for her. We've got several national guardsmen who've taken a leave of absence and someone who works in a hospital and she's had to be "on call" for that job and had to take a leave as well.

I haven't felt "unsafe" it is a more public job but I need to get paid.

• Sad 1

Don’t know how stylish mine is - but believe me when I say you walk into a convenience store wearing this, and suddenly maintaining adequate social distancing becomes absolutely no problem whatsoever:

IMG_0823.thumb.JPG.910841199d43240b8bdb59d62fb2f405.JPG

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

I think now if you walked into a bank (if you could walk into a bank) and were actually trying to rob it, you'd have to repeat yourself a few times.

Apparently you get "drive by" birthday parties now if you're a kid, your friends go outside with balloons and wave then you eat virtual cake with them. And they're working on graduation "parades" the graduates drive down main street or whatever and everbody gets to honk or some such. sigh

and adding that we ARE working from home now on the second job that she ratted on, they were working on it but apparently not fast enough for her. I did my first full day Saturday and all my stuff worked and I even wore a shirt because I can't be sure there isn't a web cam in my computer. :D

• Like 2

My boss sent out an email asking everyone to put on pants, just because it'll make you feel more like you're actually doing something. 

My neighborhood seems to have about 80-90% mask compliance, so it looks like the most of the neighborhood is robbing the rest. 

And I feel really bad for the kids who have their birthdays during this time. 😞

Edited by Superclam
  • Sad 1

These damn spoiled kids! Bah humbug I say to their birthday parties. My birthday always fell during vacation. Never had even 1 classroom birthday party. And errbody out of town so couldn’t have one at home. My mom did usually let me pick a day a month before or after for a skating party or some such. And my parents ruined both my high school and college graduations. Selfish assholes all being dead and whatnot. I dint need no pandemic. I’m officially an old man waking 6 miles in the snow to catch a pandemic.  

• Laugh 2

Anyone else here in California?  I've been swearing I had this bitch back in early January and several others on my FB newsfeed seemed to come down with similar symptoms around that same time.  Now TPTB appear to be backing off on that "late January" timeline and saying the virus probably arrived in late 2019...and that California's numbers are so low we may have developed a "herd immunity."  

https://abc7.com/health/coronavirus-herd-immunity-in-california-doctor-shares-his-thoughts/6093912/

SAN FRANCISCO -- It's a story that has been making headlines across the United States: Did Californians develop herd immunity after possibly being exposed to novel coronavirus last year?

On Thursday, a fellow at Stanford's Hoover Institute released the theory suggesting that what was perceived to be a nasty and early flu season in California was actually COVID-19 spreading undetected throughout the community.

Our sister station KGO-TV in San Francisco sat down with Dr. Alok Patel for more insight on what herd immunity means and what it would take for it to happen in California and the United States.

The article is quite interesting.  

Stay safe and stay healthy, people ❤️  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Superclam said:

They just closed schools here for the rest of the school year. I may kill one or more of my children. 

I can't imagine trying to keep kids learning and entertained with these lockdowns.  

If they get too unruly, consider using Velcro to stick 'em to the wall 😄 

• Laugh 2

17 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

If they get too unruly, consider using Velcro to stick 'em to the wall 😄 

I don't have fuzzy walls!!!! 

• Laugh 2

You may have fuzzy walls once everybody starts tearing out their hair and it sticks to the walls. How old are your kids? Not that 5 is any easier than 15 because you might train a 5 year old to do things for you but not a 15 year old. Daddy really needs this table polished. Daddy needs a beer or 5. 

• Laugh 1

49 minutes ago, nachomama said:

How old are your kids? Not that 5 is any easier than 15 because you might train a 5 year old to do things for you but not a 15 year old. Daddy really needs this table polished. Daddy needs a beer or 5. 

12 year old twins and a 6 year old. The 6 year old is a delight during this, the 12 year olds are angry and barely speaking to us. We don't have any outdoor space that isn't public, so they've been inside for about 3 weeks now, which isn't healthy at all. If the internet ever goes down, there will be deaths. 

• Surprise 1

24 minutes ago, Superclam said:

the 12 year olds are angry and barely speaking to us.

Well, yeah. To 12-year-olds, parents are embarrassing antediluvian entities who know and understand nothing. That's their job and it sounds pretty normal to me. Enjoy the 6-year-old for next 6 or so years. 😆

Somewhere about 10 and a half or so they began to change, so I may have less time. I'm hoping this period ends before they turn 30. 😥

• Laugh 1

On 4/11/2020 at 4:13 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Maybe duct tape can offer a solution. It usually does:

kids-duct-tape-on-wall-cover.jpg

Damn - beat me to it.

• Laugh 1

I know a couple of people who got theirs and I tried several times to log into my bank app but I guess the stimulus people crashed the system. End of the day no money.

I wouldn't feel guilty about it, it's your money. It will be returned to them either through next year's tax return or taxes. I'm still working as well but just fewer hours and you'd think doing less actual things would be saving me money but I seem to always be out of money. But if you donate that's also good too.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I got my stimulus payment yesterday. I feel kind of weird about it because I'm still working. I may donate some of it. 

If you don't need it right now you might need it later. My gov. took  a little of the exhorbitant taxes I've paid all my life and generously gave me back 433$. I'm keeping it.

12 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

If you don't need it right now you might need it later. My gov. took  a little of the exhorbitant taxes I've paid all my life and generously gave me back 433$. I'm keeping it.

Yeah, my wife brought up this side of the argument also. My agency seems committed to keeping us working, but who knows what wil be in 6 months? 

I still hope and pray this is not a 6 month thing. (or longer) Yes I still have both jobs but that's the thing, how long? My boss did apply for the payroll protection, as in, he gets money as long as he continues to pay his workers. We have some work coming in, yes it's slow, but there's a reason to come to work. The call center job, dunno how long that would hold out, some of the clients we call are satisfaction surveys, if no one gets to go anywhere or do anything we won't have anything to survey. My fallback plan had always been if one or the other job goes away or even cuts back so much that I must find another thing to do to bring in money is uber. But I have an uber friend who hasn't driven in a month. both for the public risk and just that it isn't worth it to get $20 in 8 hours.

• Sad 1

On 4/11/2020 at 4:59 PM, AngelaHunter said:

antediluvian

On 4/14/2020 at 10:02 AM, Superclam said:

I only know this word from that Donovan song. 

I only know it makes me think of those Andalusian girls....

5 hours ago, Nashville said:

I only know it makes me think of those Andalusian girls....

What lovely prose. When I hear "Andalusian" I think of beautiful horses.

You guys with your badass Punisher scarves - I just have kittehs on mine. 😊

20200412_104229.jpg

• Like 2

I still aint got no stimulus check, although I DID receive my dead sisters. No idea if I can use it or not. But yes, the dead are getting paid. It DOES have my name on it. It DOES acknowledge that she is deceased. I DID pay her taxes, I don't "deserve" the money, per se, but I paid at least $1200 on a probate lawyer and paid her federal taxes as well as her property taxes and medical bills. My evil sister was trying to file for it, as her "dependent", since she hasn't filed taxes of her own since 2017 ish I think. She claims she was my sister's caretaker but as far as I can gather my dead sister was still under her own power right up until 2 days before she died. My evil sister lived there and did the cooking but she didn't bathe my sister, she didn't feed her cats, she didn't vacuum or do dishes. She didn't mow the yard, etc. My dead sister told me "she only pulls the rope on the lawnmower" where my evil sister says "the only thing she would let me do is pull the rope". If my evil sister is able to get her own stimulus money, she is filing a "non-filer" quickie for 2019 (she was employed for a total of about 8 weeks of 2019 at two different jobs) and I get my own stimulus money, I will send $600 to pay her car insurance for the first 6 months. I had her get quotes. I do not send her money, I send it to the dude who has been getting her to appointments and making sure she doesn't go off the rails. I give her no money directly. I had been paying utilities online and she's got her own food stamps so that made it easy. I'm done with utilities and hopefully this is the end of her bullshit. It's sink or swim time.

• Surprise 1

I got a letter from the President telling me that my stimulus check is coming! I got it 3 weeks ago, but it's nice to be notified. 

• Laugh 2

So, how is everyone dealing with this lockdown stuff? For sure my house has never been as immaculately clean as it is now.

Going to the store is something to prepare for with more dread anticipation than I feel before a dentist visit. Yesterday I waited in line for over 20 minutes to get in to buy groceries. The wind was wicked and not May-like at all. After I was forced to wash my hands in water so hot it could boil lobsters I got to shop. Shelves were stocked as normally, but strangely enough there was no sugar. Is sugar the item being hoarded now?

It weirdly changes. It was flour and yeast a little while back. They're saying meat will be next. So far, we've been lucky. We even had hand sanitizer delivered after a 3 week wait. 

Today we walked to a friend's house because it was so nice out. We were only going to say hello, but he has a decent sized yard, so we sat apart and drank some beers in the sun. Honestly, it was great, the first non-family actual social interaction I've had since March. I'm completely sun burned, but it was worth it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

It was flour and yeast a little while back.

I think everyone is watching easy-to-make bread videos on YT in case of a bread shortage. But sugar? Are people afraid of a cake shortage? I don't really care. I just thought it was strange.

I’ve heard that meat will be the next thing because of the meat packing situation. But every time I go to the store it’s weird stuff they’re short on. It makes no sense. 
I haven’t had to wait in lines for grocery stores. They sanitize the carts but haven’t had to wash my hands to go in. Officially haven’t worn a mask in public either. 
today I vacuumed a bed. Ha. I’m putting the bed back in my second bedroom. If I move in there it might feel like a change of pace. I stacked the mattresses against the wall to let my cat have the room and didn’t want him clawing up the mattress. So I put plastic over it and it’s just been in storage. This may be the first “normal” quarantine thing I’ve done. I did fertilize my lawn too! 

• Like 1

Now I remember why I like my bed. I feel like Goldilocks because the bed in the spare room is too soft. ha

I brought some kind of tuna thing for lunch, not sure how much anyone else will appreciate me microwaving it. Hadn't thought that one out before I made my choices.

21 hours ago, nachomama said:

Now I remember why I like my bed.

I got a new bed in January. I'm so thankful I got it before the Toilet Paper Apocalypse. I love it. I love it so much I think about it even when I'm not in it. As the news got worse and worse, my bed got more and more important. I'd glance at it as I passed the bedroom, thinking, "Only 6 (or 4 or 2)more hours and I'll be in it, all snug and safe under my fluffy new duvet while I watch The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock and forget all the BS."😏

• Like 1

I wish I had that kind of relationship with my bed. Since I was a child I've never wanted anything more in the world than to have super fluffy comforter type situation like Maria VonTrapp when she throws back the covers to make sure the children haven't put a frog in her bed. But I've never lived in a climate where I need such fluffy warmth. Even though I do not turn on my heat in the winter (we do get the odd freezing day) and I pile up alll my blankets I still get hot and kick the covers off. I even got a weighted blanket thinking I could trick my mind into fluffy slumber but because I'm cheap I purchased a child's weighted blanket so I can either have weighted upper body or lower but not both. And I've decided I like skinny pillows not super poofy gigantic ones.

And who here thinks "my pyillo" (pillow) guy is the hidden tiger king? After his speech with the pres and his new autobiography he's like weird cult freak dude.

• Laugh 1

I desperately need a new bed. I might use my stimulus check for that. It's about 13 years old. I also need new covers for my Ikea couch. The existing ones are horrifying. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I desperately need a new bed. I might use my stimulus check for that. It's about 13 years old. I also need new covers for my Ikea couch. The existing ones are horrifying. 

I know you have children, which is the reason why most people cannot have nice things, but do you have pets? My cat pretty much destroyed my furniture and rugs. I'd look over and look at his dumb ass just chewing on a string from the rug. Like, why? I feed you food, why are you chewing up everything? He liked cardboard, I just noticed a box on a desk that either a modem or a router came in, cat's been dead 3 years but I just noticed he chewed the back of the box.

If the couch is holding up the cover is a pretty cheap upgrade. I always kept a sheet or blanket on all the furniture to ward off pet hair, to no avail. The little dumbass left reminders everywhere.

• Like 1

I live where it often goes to minus 25 degrees and just discovered the wonderful world of duvets a few years ago. Light, but warm and a lot better than having so many blankets and afghans piled on me I can't breathe. I've had terrible insomnia for years and am always looking for something to help. I still have bad nights but my new soft, delicious bed, puffy duvet and new sheets really help.

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

I desperately need a new bed. I might use my stimulus check for that. It's about 13 years old. I also need new covers for my Ikea couch.

Go for it! We so often deny ourselves things if we don't think we desperately need them, yet are generous with others. We're prisoners in our own homes, so you're allowed to be comfortable and spend some money on yourself, especially when it's unexpected money!👍 We need to spoil ourselves a bit.

5 hours ago, nachomama said:

And who here thinks "my pyillo" (pillow) guy is the hidden tiger king? After his speech with the pres and his new autobiography he's like weird cult freak dude.

Seriously. Now that he and the pres are best buds, his incessant, cheesy(they look like some page from a 1999 AOL screen) pillow commercials are nearly infomercial length, stuck in the middle of programs! Goddamit, they're pillows, not some magic new invention like flying cars or a cure for the virus.

Speaking of the virus, seems they had more common sense in the 1918 flu epidemic:

1918dex.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Go for it! We so often deny ourselves things if we don't think we desperately need them, yet are generous with others. We're prisoners in our own homes, so you're allowed to be comfortable and spend some money on yourself, especially when it's unexpected money!👍 We need to spoil ourselves a bit.

Damn it! I don't have an argument against this. I did drop $529 on a new cover for the couch today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superclam said:

Damn it! I don't have an argument against this. I did drop $529 on a new cover for the couch today. 

Here's the way I try to look at any major purchase: When I'm lying on my deathbed, am I going to wail, "Oh, I wish I hadn't bought that new bed (or computer or TV, etc.) in 2020!"?

People of a certain generation don't want to spend money on anything we see as not a necessity. I get that.  Younger people these days get whatever they want and live on credit. I don't do that and it took a lot to talk myself into getting a new bed. But why? We worked our whole lives and we're not talking a Rolls Royce here, but a frickin' mattress that will give you comfort. It's not a luxury. Is a new bed going to change your life financially in the long run? I doubt it. Hey, go wild! Cast your fate to the winds!😅

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nachomama said:

I know you have children, which is the reason why most people cannot have nice things, but do you have pets? My cat pretty much destroyed my furniture and rugs. I'd look over and look at his dumb ass just chewing on a string from the rug. Like, why? I feed you food, why are you chewing up everything? He liked cardboard, I just noticed a box on a desk that either a modem or a router came in, cat's been dead 3 years but I just noticed he chewed the back of the box.

If the couch is holding up the cover is a pretty cheap upgrade. I always kept a sheet or blanket on all the furniture to ward off pet hair, to no avail. The little dumbass left reminders everywhere.

No, my wife is very allergic to cats and dogs, and I really don't want one. The kids pestered me for a fish tank until we got them one. They were interested for about 3 days before I had the care was dumped on the parents. 

I had a cat once. She was fine, but I found she cramped my lifestyle, so I gave her away to my sister and nephew. Yeah, she made a big mess for such a little thing. 

16 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Here's the way I try to look at any major purchase: When I'm lying on my deathbed, am I going to wail, "Oh, I wish I hadn't bought that new bed (or computer or TV, etc.) in 2020!"?

People of a certain generation don't want to spend money on anything we see as not a necessity. I get that.  Younger people these days get whatever they want and live on credit. I don't do that and it took a lot to talk myself into getting a new bed. But why? We worked our whole lives and we're not talking a Rolls Royce here, but a frickin' mattress that will give you comfort. It's not a luxury. Is a new bed going to change your life financially in the long run? I doubt it. Hey, go wild! Cast your fate to the winds!😅

You calling me old??? 😜

I'm far from a depression baby, but my parents taught me to save and leave it for the next generation and that basically how I roll. With this whole nonsense going on, I'm concerned about the economy totally collapsing. Honestly, if it did we'd all be screwed anyway, so I'd least I'd have a comfortable bed to starve to death in!! 

• Laugh 2

1 hour ago, Superclam said:

Honestly, if it did we'd all be screwed anyway, so I'd least I'd have a comfortable bed to starve to death in!! 

Ezzactly! Don't want to lie there starving, drinking methanol AND have springs poking you.

I'm not of the Depression era either, but I'm not a millennial who thinks I should have whatever I want because I'm entitled. My mother, who was a depression baby, always told us, "Waste not, want not" and I've never gotten that out of my head. It's only recently I thought if I wanted something, it didn't only have to only be because whatever it's replacing was totally broken down.  Get your bed! Your kids will survive somehow after you croak without that extra 1K it might cost.😉 At least you know Negan won't come and take it away.

Get the bed! Then you can be Charlie Bucket's grandparents who all sleep in the same bed and it's not creepy at all, aaaaat alllll.

I went to a social distancing birthday party. We sat on the patio, far enough apart from one another. It was hot and it was lame pizza. Maybe I should be thrilled I saw people but it was meh and I was eaten alive by mosquitos and gnats. Woohoo! Now I'm gonna die of malaria. Fuck you covid!

I do has a question about new mattresses, has anyone ever tried the "Casper/Lesa etc etc" things that come in the mail and you remove from plastic and they poof up themselves? It's like $700 but it's just foam. I cannot see how that's a long lasting thing. I can't imagine that will give the support anyone needs for the long run.

* Oooh stimulus has arrived!

Edited by nachomama

17 hours ago, nachomama said:

I do has a question about new mattresses, has anyone ever tried the "Casper/Lesa etc etc" things that come in the mail and you remove from plastic and they poof up themselves? It's like $700 but it's just foam. I cannot see how that's a long lasting thing. I can't imagine that will give the support anyone needs for the long run.

No idea about the mattresses - but the old lady bought me a Casper pillow about a year ago, and I can say in all honesty it’s the best pillow I’ve ever had in my life.  She agreed too - a little too much (she kept stealing mine) - so I bought her a Casper pillow for herself on her last birthday.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

My good sister did get me a MyPyillo pillow, she loved hers and wanted a mattress topper to go with it so I bought it for her and it came with 2 pillows so she gave me one. I can't say it's the BEST PILLOW EVER! It's just chunky foam pieces. Yes it can conform to your head don't know if the foam is special to do anything else. It isn't memory foam because it's all in pieces so from day to day if you shuffle around the pillows it doesn't hold a shape, you can fluff or smoosh as you wish and you can fluff or smoosh all day every day and it'll stay as fluffy or smooshy from day 1 to day 6000. My sister loved it so that's great. It's ai-ight if you ask me.

• Useful 1

The wife had previously bought a MyPillow for herself, and liked it very much - until she bought me the Casper pillow.  At which point she declared the Casper pillow made the MyPillow resemble “hammered shit”, relatively speaking.  😄

(And yes, that was a quote.)

• Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

Pillows: I can NOT find a pillow that is comfortable for stomach-sleepers like me. I need a low one, but still soft enough so my ears don't hurt. For years I've been buying the 5$ Walmart pillows which suit me very well, but of course it's not long until they're completely flat and I have to go buy more 5$ pillows.

When I got my new mattress, the guy threw in two, 85$ silk-covered microgel pillows. I already had a microgel mattress topper and it's the most deliciously comfortable thing in the world,  but the pillows are not doing the trick. I'm really glad I didn't pay for them. I don't  know where to find a pillow that is soft, but not flat. Ah, first-world problems!

How's everybody doing? Still alive here. Things are starting to come back a bit. My favorite Chinese place returned. The counter is completely sealed off by plastic, you have to put your money in a slot, and then they put the food in. No word when we'll actually return to the office. 

I still hope @OoohMaggie is ok. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Superclam said:

How's everybody doing? Still alive here.

Still taking in oxygen here too! Things aren't easing off too much here yet, but there are fewer lineups at stores. I had to go to the local hardware the other day, and no shopping was allowed. The cash area was roped off and we had to stand there and tell the employees what we wanted. That worked out about as well as you would imagine, i.e., "I want one of those things that goes on the (deck/heat pump/lawn mower/whatever)... NO, no not that! You know - it's square/round/long and about this big, etc.)." It was like a game of charades.😂

22 hours ago, Superclam said:

I still hope @OoohMaggie is ok. 

Me too!

• Like 2

nodorothyparker

At the request of several of you, we're starting a separate pullout thread on coronavirus discussion: how it's affecting you, what you're seeing, whether years and years of watching this show have taught us anything about surviving it, guarding your toilet paper hoard against dickish scavengers, whatever.  Please confine related discussion to this thread and out of Small Talk.