Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nachomama

Talking the Virus: So Far the One Without Zombies

55 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I just went to the pharmacy. Things were not abnormal, except for the no-touch at the cash. Of course the TP was all gone, as this loony hoarding continues. You'd think people would be hoarding food items or medication, but no - toilet paper is king.

I was out yesterday. There was toilet paper to be had, if in limited quantities. You absolutely cannot get hand sanitizer or those Clorox wipes. 

Also noted most food is available. All fruits and vegetables in full supply!! 

Edited by Superclam
  • Like 2

It’s starting to feel like the walking dead virus. When they revealed everybody had it it just doesn’t appear til you die. 

we start working from home next week. For job 2. Job 1 still business as usual although I’m sure it’ll be slow. If no one else works then who needs business cards, no flyers or brochures if there’s no events. Etc. sigh 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 2:55 PM, AngelaHunter said:

The scariest part about about these TP fantatics is that they are voting. 

Not in Ohio they're not. Our primary was supposed to be on St. Patrick's Day. The governor cancelled it at the last minute, was told by the court that he couldn't, and went ahead and did it anyway. I think maybe twelve people even noticed.

I'd heard that it was cancelled, then that it un-cancelled by the court, then got off work and hurried to city hall so I could get mine in. Apparently voting in a big empty room with like five other voters was too dangerous to allow. But the church across the street had a completely full parking lot. That was fine, of course. Because germs follow the exact same limitations as vampires.

On 3/19/2020 at 3:52 AM, OoohMaggie said:

Rick Grimes Cries Over Coronavirus Toilet Paper Shortage

Oh, come on! I think we all know that Rick Grimes doesn't use toilet paper.

Here in Quebec, our premier Legault says:

Grocery stores, pharmacies and SAQ (SAQ is our liquor store - thank god!) stores are to remain open.

Legault said he is asking police forces to keep an eye on the situation and inform people if they aren’t respecting the recommendations, but said he doesn’t want to “repress” anyone.

“The police are there to keep watch and inform the population,” Legault said. “Only in rare cases will they intervene.”

No, we don't anyone to feel "repressed". It might "trigger" those who feel they could in some way be offended, in case this repression is not politically correct. Repression. or causing offense is worse than spreading disease and/or death. Block party tonight. It's my right! I will not be repressed!

I'm not crazy-hoarding, but the simple fact is that when the shelves are emptying out every day from the people who are crazy-hoarding, it does pay to get ahead of the game a little bit. Usually I know that if I run out of toilet paper I can replace it anywhere I go. That isn't true now. So a few days ago, instead of buying a 4 or 8 pack, I bought a 16 pack. The next time I see it one the shelves, I'll probably get another. But I'm not trying to fill an entire room in my apartment with toilet paper. In the last week I've aggressively stocked up on a lot of things, but it's all within theoretically normal parameters. Like, instead of buying one container of grated Parmesan, I bought 3. I still had half a decent-sized jar of multivitamins, but I bought another one anyway. I'm now more ahead of the game than usual on dry foods, soap, antiseptic cream, frozen vegetables, yadda yadda yadda, but it's petty much all products I buy anyway. I just bought a little bit more,because I don't want to have to keep replacing them on a weekly basis. I think the only things I bought that I don't normally buy were probiotic tablets and a few big cans of cheap dietary fiber additive. Both of which I still left plenty of on the shelves, because nobody else seems to want them. They're too busy hoarding things like milk. Yeah, that'll work great, geniuses...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

I still had half a decent-sized jar of multivitamins, but I bought another one anyway.

Oh, yeah. I have certain supplements I've been taking re: doctor's advice, for the last few years. I was out of a few of them so went to the pharmacy on Thurs to get more. Vitamin shelves were full to overflowing, as was the canned food section, but the TP was all gone. Priorities!

• Laugh 1

Maybe they know something we don't. This isn't the zombie virus. It's the mummy plague. Instead of Whisperers, these hoarders are going to become Rustlers. So named for the sound they make walking around covered in toilet paper. Negan, of course, will be wearing a Joker costume over a zombie costume over a Fonzie costume over a wrapping of toilet paper over a Foghorn Leghorn banana hammock, but most of the other Rustlers will just be disguised as mummies.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Laugh 4

I'm attempting a supply run today, doing the order online groceries and they put it in my car. Yes they had lots of stuff marked "out of stock" but still able to get stuff, I haven't been inside a walmart or grocery store in a week and I don't know what's gone down in between. I could survive a long time on the canned goods I have, I just don't want to. I don't feel stir crazy yet but we're also not on lockdown. Places are still open, I"m still going to work. Work is very slow so I don't know how long that will last. If there are no events, there are no flyers, if there are no sales men then there are no business cards, etc. We still have stuff to do but no programs for graduations, programs for school plays etc. Work from home, for my other job, starts sometime this week. I'm sure I'll get fidgety when that happens. You'll know I'm desparate when I want to clean like a crazy person or start cutting my own hair. I've got plenty to clean off the DVR to keep my occupied for the meantime.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nachomama said:

You'll know I'm desparate when I want to clean like a crazy person

That's what I've been doing. Even got rags and lemon oil and cleaned all the oak window frames yesterday. Gee I didn't realize how filthy they were. My house is now sparkling, so went in the garage to clean my car and what to my wondering eyes did appear in the trunk behind my carry-thingy there? A package of forgotten TP!! All the anxiety drained out of my body as I yelled, "I am saved!!"

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

My job is still busy, but we're expecting to be shut down any week now. When the inevitable stir-craziness and mad cleaning begins, I expect to find many great treasures squirreled around my apartment. Especially change, socks, lighters, hair restraints, and old dried out bar wetnaps.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Laugh 1

I will find deodorant because I keep buying it and then losing it and putting it back on the list to buy again. Yes many, many hair ties, my cat used to snatch them, qtips as well he would dig through the trash I'm sure there's a pile under the couch. Socks I'm sure. tons of clothes that I'll say " oh my gawd, i love that shirt" and it'll go back into rotation. My goal is to get all the junk mail finally into the recycling bin even if I've got to wheel the bin up to the front doors and just start chucking it out. I've been getting so many of my sister's catalogues since I had her mail forwarded to me and let me tell you she had a lot of crapola. The Danbury Mint where you can buy cheap jewelry and tchotkes. My sister was a neat freak so she didn't mind having all kinds of little doo-dads like incense burners, candles, crystals etc. She would dust them and keep her little curio cabinet neat. I don't want to dust so I don't have stuff. I found a box and it had a stemless wine glass that has a lid like a coffee cup so you can save your wine for later, and a mortar and pestle. the wine can come in handy, will the mortar and pestle? She also used to send me endless kitchen towels. I guess she changed them out with the season, christmas ones, halloween ones, fall leaves, spring flowers. For me they're just potholders and I've had like 3 forever and they're singed but why do I care? I regifted the ones she would send me.

• Like 2

The schools are shut, as are pubs, restaurants, bars, McDonalds, coffee shops , department stores etc etc, were being told not to go out, not to congregate in popular places like parks, tourist places, to not use public transport,were told to ‘social distance’ which means to keep six Ft away from anybody else. Yet the great British government is still letting in flights from China? Italy? and Iran? The epicentre of this shit and two of the most infected countries in the world, they can get off the plane with no checks at all, but are advised to self isolate for two weeks, as if they will. If I could buy a gun I think I would shoot myself in the f——-g head.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I took two walks around the block, luckily the weather sucks. 

I'm wanting to take some walks but today there's yet another snowstorm so I guess I'll wait. New powder snow on top of ice creates a slippery deathtrap that would send even a mountain goat flying. My recycling box will have to wait until conditions improve. Last year I attempted to go in my driveway in these conditions. My feet flew out from under me, but luckily I landed flat on my back with my weight evenly distributed and without smashing my skull. I just lay there, staring at the sky for awhile as the snow fell. It was actually quite pleasant, until I tried to get up.

• Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

On 3/23/2020 at 7:24 PM, AngelaHunter said:

I'm wanting to take some walks but today there's yet another snowstorm so I guess I'll wait.

We are going to be in the 90's! We are going to be "cleaning" at work, I'm showing up, grateful to be getting paid. I have a letter that says we are an "essential" business that I can move about during the "shelter in place" time. No I'm not reckless, we do not come into contact with much of anybody, we all have our own spaces. Not knowing how long this will last and how long I will have a paycheck is pretty daunting.

Hope everybody is doing ok!

• Like 3

Supermarkets here in NYC are letting in only 10 people at a time, so there's a line outside. We get our groceries delivered and have plenty of food, so I'm trying not to panic irrationally. I think they're going to close off NYC for a while until it's contained. It's really out of control here. 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They haven't gone to that yet, here, the only letting in 10 people. I did go to the store closest to my house just for milk and tortillas. They didn't have those when I did the drive up and put it in your car thing. I have a can of "fully cooked ground pork" which I've never heard of and probably never would have ventured into but it was in a food box a friend gave me. Her church was giving out shelf stable stuff and she had a lot extra. (for some reason an entire case of chick peas) I said absolutely hell no to the chick peas, you can learn how to make hummus and falafel during the pandemic but I would have to be near death to touch those. I got rice, potatoes some canned vegetables and this can of pork. The only thing I can think to do with it is try to make pork enchiladas, thus the tortillas. Chili might be a thing but I don't love chili.

I made salmon and I was going to make a mushroom risotto with it but I didn't have what I thought I had so I made hominy. I do love some hominy, usually I make it with pork chops but it was darn tasty with salmon.

• Like 1

Our Dozy Dick Prime Minister has got the virus, but even better news, the queens No1 son Elephant ears charlie has also got it 😁, this obscenely rich twat had the nerve to go to a public hospital and be tested, whilst the poor health workers in the hospital can’t get tested for love nor money, let’s hope it’s fatal ⚰️

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Laugh 2

6 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

the queens No1 son Elephant ears charlie

I've always referred to him as "Jughead".

8 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

let’s hope it’s fatal 

Gee, and here I thought I was such a big meany. 😆 I wouldn't count on it though. That family has longevity that defies belief. But I guess when you never have to juggle bills, work the night shift at a factory, comparison shop or worry about losing your job and wondering where your next meal is coming from, it eases the stress level.

I was just reading an article that confirms what I've believed for decades. No matter how bad things are, you have to find something to laugh about. It's very important mentally and physically. This forum never lets me down on that count.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

I’m a very kind, considerate person normally, it’s just some things get me going 🤬

Didn’t you know that the ‘royals’ are actually Lizards, they are from the Reptillian species of ET’s, haven’t you read David Icke?

I’ve just been to the supermarket to buy milk and stuff, I walked into the store looking like Jesse James holding up the Wells Fargo stagecoach, I wasn’t the only one, I think  people are finally taking this shit seriously 😷

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

I went to the doctor this morning, just regular visit, considered not going for risk of exposure but I do want to get my prescriptions filled before we bunker down and I think less risk right now than 2 weeks from now. Bright news is I currently have nothing and I brought my sugar down. On the right track. 
also, what the ever living fuck will we have to talk about if we cannot go about our lives ? Granted I never had much of a life anyway. 

we are cutting hours at my main job. But I know 5 people who’ve already been laid off so if I can get part of a paycheck I’m still going. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

Didn’t you know that the ‘royals’ are actually Lizards,

Prince "Foot in His Mouth" (if he were an honorary member of an Indian tribe that would be a good name) Phillip reminds me more of an ancient giant tortoise now. I swear he and his wife could survive a nuclear holocaust. Having a picture of the queen still stuck on our money irritates me. What is she doing there? Our money is ridiculous enough without that. 

1 hour ago, nachomama said:

also, what the ever living fuck will we have to talk about if we cannot go about our lives ?

Around here it seems we can always find something. I need to go to the store later. I can relate my adventures there.

• Laugh 1

2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I swear he and his wife could survive a nuclear holocaust.

Well they do say that cockroaches would be one of the few things to survive a nuclear war!

As for the money, when the chief Lizard pops her clogs, you guys should definitely hit the streets and say enough is enough, be done with this nonsense, there’s plenty here thinking the same, we want our land and money back 😖

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Laugh 1

18 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

As for the money, when the chief Lizard pops her clogs,

Ha! That hag and her moronic consort will probably outlive us!  Shameless sods. I see so many people in Britain living in poverty and here we have these giant parasites who have a staff just to go around with a frickin' measuring tape to make sure each plate at the royal dinner is the same distance from the edge of the table. What if your plate is 1/2" closer than mine? Chaos ensues. I would have loved to have seen any of them, ever, have to go out and find a job. Yeah, as if anyone would hire them. Well, Harry may have to end up doing that now that his grasping wife has severed him from the main purse strings. Good luck to him.

• Laugh 1

I do feel for our future king being self isolated because he has the virus, how will he manage to run his own bath? More importantly, will he know how to put toothpaste on the brush? A task which his ‘man’ does for him and I’m not joking, seriously.

The police are using drones to video cars of people who drive to beauty spots to go for a walk, not a good enough reason to leave your house, yet if you get burgled all you get is a crime number for your insurance 🙄

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

I live at the dead end of a 10km road around a lake.  Today tourist have decide to fill the place.  There is cars that I have never seen passing by every minutes,  people walking in front of my house, quads, etc...  My front neibour comes from town every week-ends, this is ridiculous.

I have to go for some groceries and I keep waiting to manage my transports while those fuckers are invading the place.😤

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, heisenberg said:

I live at the dead end of a 10km road around a lake. 

You're in the Townships or the Laurentians...? I forget. what's with the influx of sightseers? I'm on 1/2 acre so no really close neighbours and I decided to go for a walk yesterday. Normally on a weekday it's like a ghost town around here, but yesterday all the driveways had cars in them. I really feel for families with young kids and mortgages who are living paycheque to paycheque and I'm very grateful I'm not one of them.

My deck collapsed a few weeks ago after the blizzards and then the rain, taking my heat pump with it. Trying to arrange to get it rebuilt is a challenge. I found a decking contractor who is still operating but of course we can't have face-to-face dealings. It may seem petty to worry about my deck in these times, but if I don't get it rebuilt then no a/c this summer. I left my gate unlocked for someone from the company to come and look so I can get an estimate for my insurance company, and we know they don't want to pay a cent if they can get out of it.  Who knows what's going to happen but I have to be prepared. What a mess.

I'm dying for some fresh salad greens but now I'm too scared to go to the grocery store. 😧

14 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

More importantly, will he know how to put toothpaste on the brush? A task which his ‘man’ does for him and I’m not joking, seriously.

Seriously? I mean - really? I remember once when Her Majesty came to Canada for a visit and special toilet seats had to be installed for the royal ass, which couldn't possibly sit on seats that had been occupied by the peasants. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

42 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

You're in the Townships or the Laurentians...?

I used to live in Val-David but I bought a house on chemin du lac Paré in Chertsey a year ago (You can google it).    I understand for your patio, a contractor is supposed to come do my roof as soon the snow is off but I don't know what is gonna happen anymore.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, heisenberg said:

chemin du lac Paré in Chertsey a year ago

Chertsey! Now I remember. I was there once many years ago.

1 hour ago, heisenberg said:

I understand for your patio, a contractor is supposed to come do my roof as soon the snow is off but I don't know what is gonna happen anymore.

I've been stressing over the deck situation - as well as over everything else - but we just have to be resigned that everything might come later. We can only hope it will come at all. Easier for me, but is your roof actually leaking?

My decking contractor says he's fine with e-transfers/receipts for payments. Now I just have to hope my ins. broker is available to coordinate all this. Life has become so complicated when you have to do everything at arm's length and worry about so many other things.

Yeah, it turns out the neighborhood I live in is corona central! So we've been staying in. I don't like working from home at all, but I'm glad to have a job. We're still getting grocery deliveries, so I go outside for about half an hour twice a day just to get some air. 

A lot of New Yorkers are going to summer homes or just getting out of the city if they can. We thought about going to my mother-in-law's in Michigan, at least she has a backyard. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I called an older friend of mine last night, because I just realized she has neither computer nor cell phone so I was imagining that for everyone who doesn't have these and lives alone how complete their isolation really is. Yes, she can talk on the phone, but that's a whole other thing than dashing off a text, email or using an instant messenger throughout the day for a few words here and there. And of course you can get up-to-the-minute info on what's closed or what hours they're open, etc. 

I have never been more grateful for my computer.

• Like 2

So: Dare we hope the "Great TP War of 2020" is over? I made a foray to my local pharmacy and by gosh, there was TP! So I beat away a few other people casting longing glances at it, and cleaned out the shelf. J/K. I took one because I'm not a complete lunatic (yet).

But there is one shining ray of happiness in these dark days, and that is the beloved Prince Jughead has recovered, in record time! All hail!

charlieb.png

• Laugh 3

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

But there is one shining ray of happiness in these dark days, and that is the beloved Prince Jughead has recovered, in record time! All hail!

As if any other outcome was possible 🙄

There was a picture today of H Hewitt being ‘Normal’ and buying nappies and TP in LA, although surrounded by umpteen trained killer bodyguards, there was a piece in the paper that stated the glamorous couple would be picking up their estimated $4 million annual security bill themselves. The article then went on to suggest that Elephant Ears  would make a substantial contribution to the pairs living costs for the next 12 months whilst they ‘get on their feet’.

Now ‘get on their feet’ to me means until they get a job and have a few hundred $ coming in every week, it does not mean until they organise the multi millions he was left by his mother, his father wasn’t worth much, but his faux father has already given him millions to play with, not to mention the outrageous amounts they’ve already screwed out of the British tax payer 😡

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 1

I hope all the pensioners have access to such immediate diagnoses and treatment, as I’m sure they will, because that’s just the sort of country I now live in , heaven forbid there should be preferential treatment for rich, privileged individuals, ha, I can’t imagine such a thing.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 1

Rest easy, folks. I just got an email and your worries are over. This "mom" from Florida has made an amazing discovery to ward off the virus. The mom is nameless although she will soon be the most famous person in the world. Note: The Fox reporter named denies writing this.

Just order this bottle containing essential oils and fear no more.

Order your bottle of Total Defense now and save 24.91$.

virus020-04-01 Mail - p Laurent - Outlook.png

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Laugh 1

Well?? What is it? Pears? Tea? Pepper? Pear tea with pepper??? 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

^^

We asked researcher James Murdock what his thoughts where(sic) on the subject. "Actually, while we haven’t studied the direct effect of the oil on the COVID-19 disease, it is plausible that it could have the ability to kill the virus on contact." He went on to say that "since Virus Defense Total Defense Immunity Blend appears to also have cinnamon, clove, lemon, lime, rosemary, peppermint, spearmint and oregano oils, that it could be considered a very strong product as the first line of defense against an outbreak in your home."

I have no idea who James Murdock is. The article is a little vague on references. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

16 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

^^

I have no idea who James Murdock is. The article is a little vague on references. 🙄

Hello! He's a researcher! 

A few years ago, we had mice, and I read that peppermint oil would drive them away. It didn't get rid of the mice, but the house smelled like a candy cane for a while. 

• Laugh 3

1 hour ago, Superclam said:

Hello! He's a researcher! 

I'm impressed that Researcher Murdock ( I guess in the haste to get this revolutionary product out there they neglected to list his credentials) took the time to name each and every ingredient instead of just saying, " a bunch of herbs, spices and two citrus fruits..."

The internet is a huge boon to snake oil salesmen. No more horse to feed and wagon to maintain!

Snake-oil_28651a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

How are all my beloved fellow posters managing?  Anyone else slowly dying of boredom and frustration besides me?  Ugh, I love my job and miss working.  I've been doing a lot of baking and cooking and just watching mindless programs off of my DVR because I can't focus on much of anything. 

On the "bright" side (ugh), I was approved for unemployment even though I'm self-employed and just received my first payment.  I'm in CA and filed the day I was furloughed, so thankfully I didn't have to wait long at all for approval.  I understand not all states were as on top of the unemployment situation and several states haven't implemented the new policies, so people are still waiting.  

Things are semi-normal in our area for shopping.  A couple of stores even have the almighty toilet paper on the shelves (although with a limited purchase to prevent hoarding).  Still no rice or regular flour, though.  I'm learning to adapt to using whole wheat flour which I've never done before, so I'm learning something new in that area.  

I was so bored I even watched a few episodes of Doomsday Preppers on Netflix just to see if any of those people were hoarding toilet paper as if it was gold bars.  Nope, didn't see a single one going for the TP in ridiculous amounts.  

I see that Mayo Clinic is rolling out an antibody screening test for COVID-19 next week, with the goal to see who has had COVID and recovered, and then draw plasma from those individuals for use in treating others whose immune systems are depleted.  I'm 99% sure I had this bitch back in January, so I'm hoping the screening becomes available in my area.  If so, they're welcome to battle my finicky veins and help themselves if it will help somebody else. 

Anyone willing to venture a guess as to when life might return to its usual state?  I'm guessing this will go on probably until July.  I'm hoping the information out there about the virus dying at 135 degrees is true and that the summer heat will kill it on surfaces much more quickly.

Okay, now I'm off to dig around for something to do that won't require much thought.  I could always watch the last 3-4 seasons of TWD and bore myself into a coma, I suppose.  

Hang in there, fellow posters, and ❤️ to you all!!!  

• Like 3

Coronavirus Test Cost “Infuriates” The Walking Dead Actor After Emergency Room Visit

Ouch! Maybe should have asked first 😱

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Surprise 1

2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

The Walking Dead Actor After Emergency Room Visit

Who the hell is he?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Who the hell is he?

Y'know, I read an article about this a few days ago, and I still don't quite remember who he played. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Who the hell is he?

‘Daniel’ 

A505BFD7-5572-4BCB-94E9-9ECA923D420D.jpeg

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Useful 1

All I will say is: thank G-d for the good people at Fresh Direct, who just delivered me 3 six packs. Oh, and some "food," which is apparently popular with the other people in my house. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

A lot of clapping out of windows here, for the people who are working during this. It's quite moving. 

• Like 2

The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) is now recommending that everyone wear a face mask or "cloth face covering" in public - fyi, I found the following notice, with DIY instructions on how to make your own cloth face covering, on the CDC website (includes both "Sew" and "No Sew" instructions)...

Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19
Page last reviewed: April 4, 2020
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

Printer-friendly version:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/DIY-cloth-face-covering-instructions.pdf

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

My wife has made me some very stylish ones. All those fabric samples she's collected are starting to pay off! 

• Like 1

nodorothyparker

At the request of several of you, we're starting a separate pullout thread on coronavirus discussion: how it's affecting you, what you're seeing, whether years and years of watching this show have taught us anything about surviving it, guarding your toilet paper hoard against dickish scavengers, whatever.  Please confine related discussion to this thread and out of Small Talk.