Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nachomama

Talking the Virus: So Far the One Without Zombies

So my mom had her first shot when she was in a rehab center after her back surgery in January.  She got a Pfizer shot.  When it came time to get her second shot, I couldn't get a hold of anyone at the rehab to tell me when to take her in.  So no second shot.

I've been trying since then to get her the second shot, but no one was offering JUST the second shot except one pharmacy about an hour away.  About 2 weeks ago, her visiting nurse told her that she had to start over.  I set her up an appointment at the pharmacy 2 minutes from her house.  Her primary care doc called and told her she couldn't get it because she had to get the second shot of Pfizer.  It had been over 4 months since her first shot.  I told her have her doctor find her a shot, I was tired of trying.

Thursday, she calls me up.  "I got COVID." WHAT?!?!  How the hell did you get it?  And goddammit, my son is coming home in a week, he's not vaccinated (why, I have no idea, he's in the military), how the hell did you get it?  Then she keeps talking.  She got her second shot at Walmart.  Why, I ask, did you say you had COVID?  You scared the shit out of me.  "I thought you'd understand."  😒

• Like 1
  • Surprise 2

Yayyyyyyyyyyy 🤗, as of today we can eat and drink inside a building, just in time for my birthday tomorrow, going on holiday is no longer a crime although we’re limited to a few foreign destinations. One of those permissible destinations is Israel can you believe, although the rocket and bomb attacks between there and Gaza might keep you awake 🙄

June 25th is the day when all restrictions are due to be removed, yet as if by magic a new ‘Indian’ variant is infiltrating the country, predictably its more easily transferable than the previous variants (YAWN), I’m just glad that I’m not a cynical person 🤥

• Like 1

Yeah, don't go to India. Is the United States on the "no go" list?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Yeah, don't go to India. Is the United States on the "no go" list?

Thank you, we are operating a traffic light system of Red, Amber and Green for countries we can visit, the US is currently an Amber country, it’s advised that only essential ‘work’ trips are taken, holidays are not recommended. Trying to work out what is legal, recommended, not recommended but legal or just illegal is like trying to herd a group of cats, a complete fkin mess. Airlines have cancelled most flights to the US anyway so I don’t honestly think anyone knows 🤕

As we’re approaching the supposed ‘Freedom’ day, surprise surprise that not only have the Indian variant cases doubled, but we’ve now got a new ‘Thai’ variant to scare us witless and prolong this farce. When the fuck are people going come to their senses and realise just what is going on? Even the most non cynical people must surely be beginning to wonder 😔

• Sad 1

On 5/29/2021 at 3:00 PM, OoohMaggie said:

When the fuck are people going come to their senses and realise just what is going on? Even the most non cynical people must surely be beginning to wonder 😔

Apparently not soon, I'm down a cousin. My aunt told me last weekend my cousin Charles was in the hospital with covid and it wasn't looking good. (Not her son, other aunt) He passed away last night. He wouldn't wear a mask and wouldn't get a vaccine and said Jesus was gonna take care of it. He was long established crazy, his wife died about 20 years ago and she was a mennonite (?) something, long hair buns and skirts but not like Amish or Duggar religious. She was nice I liked her. Anywho after she died Charles became convinced that he was supposed to marry her sister. Jesus told him to. Got to a stalkery level of creepy. Yeah, Charles was nutty as a fruitcake.

• Sad 3

On 6/2/2021 at 7:35 PM, nachomama said:

Charles was nutty as a fruitcake.

In the end it’s all relative, condolences for your loss anyway,  my 88 year old aunt, her 60 year old daughter and 50 year old son, along with his 49 year old wife, are all due for their second ‘shot’ in the next couple of weeks, I’m terrified for them all.

On 6/3/2021 at 2:45 PM, OoohMaggie said:

my 88 year old aunt, her 60 year old daughter and 50 year old son, along with his 49 year old wife, are all due for their second ‘shot’ in the next couple of weeks, I’m terrified for them all.

I’m not sure I understand; are you saying you’re terrified for them to get their second vaccination in the series, or terrified they’ll catch one of the COVID variants before they can get their second shot?

My sister's gone on walkabout. Her boyfriend's nephew died (do not know if it was covid related) but she's on a jaunty vacation back to our home town. I warned my friend Marcy to hide. Apparently time and money mean nothing to her, she was supposed to head back Saturday, she's extended her stay, today she's meeting with our great niece (who was supposed to be in 90 day rehab) and then she's taking the scenic route home to swing by and visit some friend. This is a person with no job and my big fear is that she would just chuck it all and decide to stay. When she has a completely paid for home in Texas and no means to pay for anything in New Mexico. Because she just does shit like that. She posted a photo and I showed it to a friend and I said "if you say she looks like me, no one will ever be able to identify your body".

Just now, nachomama said:

I hope she's vaccinated, or him, or them or wherever they go. sigh.

Edited by nachomama
  • Laugh 2

I'm sure it's coming to NYC soon. I'm currently in Western Michigan, where approx. 5% of people are wearing masks indoors. In NYC just about everyone wears masks inside stores. We don't have to wear them at work, and it's kind of weird. 

I never stopped wearing a mask.  You just never know when someone is going to have a meltdown and come at you violently for not wearing a mask.  I would rather avoid the drama and continue to wear the mask.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I never stopped wearing a mask.  You just never know when someone is going to have a meltdown and come at you violently for not wearing a mask.  I would rather avoid the drama and continue to wear the mask.

Depends on your neck of the woods, I reckon; around these parts, strangers are more likely going to take a run at you in public because you ARE wearing a mask.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Depends on your neck of the woods, I reckon; around these parts, strangers are more likely going to take a run at you in public because you ARE wearing a mask.

Where I am now, I keep expecting someone to say something to the only people wearing masks. But to be fair, no one has said anything to us. 

• Like 1

I was at the dentist's office a couple of weeks ago.  His waiting room lobby has an outside window wall (a huge pane of glass with no way to open it) and I was sitting down with my back up against it.  The sun was to my back and it was extremely hot, and the sun coming through that window made it that much worse.  No air flow at all.  No air conditioning either.  The waiting area was long and narrow.   The long side was the exterior window.   That window wall faced the east and my appointment was in the morning.  Direct sunlight.

An older woman was sitting a few seats down from me with her back in the same position.   It got so hot and stuffy she could barely breath.  She started coughing a lot, and she would routinely pull the mask down that covered her nose just so she could breath.  I was waiting for her to hack up a fur ball.

It was brutal.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Surprise 1

nodorothyparker

At the request of several of you, we're starting a separate pullout thread on coronavirus discussion: how it's affecting you, what you're seeing, whether years and years of watching this show have taught us anything about surviving it, guarding your toilet paper hoard against dickish scavengers, whatever.  Please confine related discussion to this thread and out of Small Talk.