Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nachomama

Talking the Virus: So Far the One Without Zombies

3 hours ago, nachomama said:

im booking my first post pandemic travel. Going home to see my friends new house and go to albuqierque balloon fiesta. 

I love the balloon festival; one of my friends out there is part-owner in a balloon, and he’s never missed a festival.

ETA: The balloon on the lower left is his - “Breezy Rider”. :)

Breezy_Rider.thumb.jpg.5995e60d4cf7715c2e3c26bb86fb736e.jpg

Edited by Nashville
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 9:12 AM, Superclam said:

Well, I'm back in hard pants! Every other Tuesday. Not performative at all. 🙄

Our office is pushing for a "soft" open July 1, with a full office open September 9, after Rosh Hashanah.  You don't have to go in until September, so I'm still in soft pants for a while.  I just hope the hard pants still fit...

• Like 1

I hope my night/weekend job never goes back to the office. How can you not show up for work AT YOUR OWN HOUSE? How can you be late AT YOUR OWN HOUSE? Many people have been fired for these things during this pandemic. I've gotten 2 bonueses just for remaining employed aka SHOWING UP. Get this...Wednesday I barfed on a call. just sort of coughed and said excuse me and the lady was all "you ok?" boom I continued and got a complete. (I thought I could get to the end of the call I had a cup ready and was gonna run) I did tell my supervisor in case there was anything heard on the other end. (removed headset, don't actually have a mute button at home) he told me that was my "warrior" spirit. ha! I aint that dedicated to any job. Told him I needed a minute to clean up.

Hopefully I haven't created a nightmare for my trip in october. 2 one way tickets which was cheaper than any round trip. I was originally trying to fly into Phoenix and out from Albuquerque, Phoenix is cheaper both ways. Non stop. Currently there are seat restrictions but by October will they still be limiting? who knows. my flight out is Atlanta to Phoenix, non stop $89 <-- Eighty NINE  freaking dollars.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

My hometown of Liverpool has been chosen to carry out the first post Covid nightclub trial. For the first time in 14 months, a nightclub is being allowed to open over a two day event starting today,  some 6000 people will be attending, no masks, no distancing, bumping and grinding will be allowed 🥵 they have to present a negative test result with their ticket to gain entry.                                                                                                                            They will then be tested at various times over the following days, this is to see if the proposed widespread relaxation of Covid restrictions in June is feasible or not.

With many areas of the UK now not reporting any deaths with Covid for some time, things are looking up, the situation in India is worrying, I do hope we have the sense to enforce the strictest restrictions upon anyone travelling from that region, surely we’ve learned from our previous catalogue of f**k ups in that regard 🙄

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1

On 4/24/2021 at 12:41 AM, Nashville said:

I love the balloon festival; one of my friends out there is part-owner in a balloon, and he’s never missed a festival.

ETA: The balloon on the lower left is his - “Breezy Rider”. :)

Breezy_Rider.thumb.jpg.5995e60d4cf7715c2e3c26bb86fb736e.jpg

Hot-air balloons are so beautiful!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Hot-air balloons are so beautiful!

Absolutely, I’ve been fortunate enough to attend Europe’s biggest Balloon display twice at Bristol in England. The best part is when they hold their ‘Night Glows’, on a warm summer’s evening there’s nothing more majestic to look at.

• Like 1

Happy memories, hopefully we’ll be experiencing them again very soon 😋

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 2

Well, I hope you're happy. Sitting here in hard pants. 😭

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

I for one am very happy that you're in hard pants. It makes me twice as happy if the british guy is picturing hard underwear. :D Hard trousers might be even funnier. Let's form a band, we'll be Hard Trousers

• Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

21 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Let's form a band, we'll be Hard Trousers

I'm in!! I'll play bass, holding down the bottom!!

Sadly, I can't sing, can't play any instruments. I just have to be a roadie. I played french horn in middle school but I was terrible and only pretended to play when we had performances. I can read music I just don't have any physical skill. Just like playing pool, I can tell you where to hit a ball, high/low, hard/soft, angles etc but can't make me own elbow coordinate with my digits.

44 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I played french horn in middle school but I was terrible and only pretended to play when we had performances.

Me too! On all accounts! 

This month the eligibility age has been dropped to include everyone over 18, so I got my shot yesterday. I was leery in case it was the AstraZeneca, as I had a bad feeling about that.

At the door I asked the nurse if we were getting that. She asked if I had an appointment and when I said I did, she told me I'd be getting Pfizer and the AZ was for people who showed up with no appointment. No appointment? Get over there and take that! 😄

The place was huge and I was prepared for a long wait, but surprisingly and even with the 15-minute waiting period after the shot (I guess to see if you were going to melt down or implode or something) I was in and out in about 25 minutes. Very well organized.

Other than a slight soreness in my arm, zero side effects. My last flu shot was much worse. I don't know if I feel any safer, but will continue wearing a mask. It's become a kind of mental security blanket.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, nachomama said:

It makes me twice as happy if the british guy is picturing hard underwear.

The ‘English’ guy is just thankful that he’s not picturing someone hard ‘in’ their pants 🤢

I have no idea what hard pants, or indeed trousers are!

My future as the trans Atlantic Loiuis Amstrong ended in junior school, when I picked up my instrument by the mouthpiece, resulting in the big heavy brass bit then dropping to the floor putting a huge buckle in the round trumpety thing on the end 🙄

Edited by OoohMaggie

Hard pants (trousers) are just regular pants  for anyone that has not been trucking into work and has been super lazy only wearing comfy pants aka sweatpants, (I know shoes are trainers, what are the workout outfits called in the UK?) basically everyone been existing in slouchy clothes so if you go back to work your trousers now feel "hard".

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

15 hours ago, nachomama said:

what are the workout outfits called in the UK?) basically everyone been existing in slouchy clothes so if you go back to work your trousers now feel "hard".

We have office wear, basically a suit, tie, polished shoes for those that work in a formal environment. We have leisure wear that is a lot more relaxed, trousers that don’t look part of a suit, light coloured with a polo shirt or jumper with no tie and lighter coloured, non polished footwear. I suppose the last would be sportswear, sweat pants, shorts, tennis / trainer type footwear, definitely what I try and wear whenever possible, which is why I’ve never worked in an office in my entire life. 
I blame that on the fact that unlike you guys who can wear what you like to school, from the ages of 5 to 16, we have to wear a school uniform, ‘hard’ trousers, shirt, tie, polished shoes, a blazer, we all looked like a bunch of office ‘stiffs’ for 11 years, that’s why so many pledged to never be seen in a suit again until they were laying in their open coffin 😇

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nachomama said:

Hard pants (trousers) are just regular pants  for anyone that has not been trucking into work and has been super lazy only wearing comfy pants aka sweatpants,

As far as I know, @nachomama, you coined the phrase, and should be making $$ off it. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Laugh 1

I've never worked in a stuffy office type place. I do not wear jeans to work but I certainly could. We are definitely semi-casual. I would have a very hard time if it was suity. But when you do the call center thing from home (they're going to replace my computer so hopefully that means staying home, wheeeee!) You can be pajamas, raggedy tshirt, no TROUSERS (I don't say pants) always pants. Thankfully we do not have any zoom kind of meetings. They did want us to post a photo of ourselves (for security reasons) into the app so that should one day someone show up that doesn't look like us they'd know we were lying. I gave them my 9th grade class photo with green hair. :D I told them they were damn lucky they didn't get a pic of me at 5. That was the last time any photos of me were legal.

• Laugh 1

On 5/4/2021 at 6:20 AM, Superclam said:

Well, I hope you're happy. Sitting here in hard pants. 😭

Damned if THAT statement isn’t open to multiple interpretations....

• Laugh 1

8 hours ago, Nashville said:

Damned if THAT statement isn’t open to multiple interpretations....

It's funny, because I can't think of a place less arousing than my office. 

• Laugh 1

On 5/4/2021 at 1:58 PM, OoohMaggie said:

The ‘English’ guy is just thankful that he’s not picturing someone hard ‘in’ their pants

Today, in these United States, it's National No Pants Day. I imagine that would have quite a different meaning on the other side of the Atlantic. 

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

Today, in these United States, it's National No Pants Day. I imagine that would have quite a different meaning on the other side of the Atlantic. 

30529A6C-1D82-4441-A9A5-EAE08C69CFA4.jpeg.72750ce01649dc3d4d14e48c6652baf4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

It would be worse when it's "National Fanny pack" day. Fanny means the reverse in the England.

• Laugh 1

On 5/7/2021 at 4:19 PM, Superclam said:

To be fair we don’t really use the word pants at all, so it wouldn’t mean much, an old word for the male undergarment was underpants, strange considering we don’t use pants to describe trousers. Y-Fronts, briefs or boxers are far more common nowadays.

6 hours ago, nachomama said:

It would be worse when it's "National Fanny pack" day. Fanny means the reverse in the England.

That is a source of amusement to us, but not nearly as much as your liberal use of the words spunk or spunky, the statement “that girl was full of spunk” has quite a different meaning over here 🤔, Oh the joy’s of the English language, don’t get me started on wanker 😂

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Oh the joy’s of the English language, don’t get me started on wanker 😂

One I learned not too long ago is "tosspot". So wonderfully descriptive!

I see that you are now permitted hugging in your country. I'm sure it fills your heart with joy, as it would mine. 😄

• Laugh 1

I know a jumper is a sweater! I used to have a "how to speak Australian" tshirt and it taught me jumbuck is a sheep, tucker is food, lorry/truck, flat/apartment, lift/elevator

I know tosser, wanker, slag, minger ...I had to learn bell end(bellend?) snog is kissing but shagging is a home run.

I'm quite angry that the "Army of the Dead" movie isn't coming nowhere near me. I may have to go see it in Hilton Head when we do the cat exchange.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I'm sure it fills your heart with joy, as it would mine. 😄

You know me only too well, of course along with the rest of the country I’ve been waiting obediently for official permission. Imagine what chaos would have ensued if we hadn’t 🙄

• Laugh 1

3 hours ago, nachomama said:

I used to have a "how to speak Australian"

On my travels around the US, I always got asked whether I was from Australia, I never got to the bottom of as to why, maybe my Cockney sounding accent was a bit too similar to those heard on Skippy the bush Kangaroo  🦘 🤔

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Laugh 1

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

On my travels around the US, I always got asked whether I was from Australia, I never got to the bottom of as to why, maybe my Cockney sounding accent was a bit too similar to those heard on Skippy the bush Kangaroo  🦘 🤔

I chat with someone in Australia. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you might be referred to as a "Pommy bastard". 😆

Between the Aussie and Brit lingo I've learned in the last few years, my vocabularly has been enriched immensely even if no one I know would understand, "You saucy mare".

BTW, I have no trouble disguishing Brit and Aussie accents.

• Laugh 1

Generally I can tell the difference between Australian and British and Irish vs Scottish, sometimes....sometimes South African sounds a bit like Australian. Every once in a while we get a boat that's here for repairs and that's like a month that these people are stranded and they have to go about getting normal people things done in a far away place. Business cards or stuff for the boat; menus who knows depends how posh the owner is. So we've had australian and South African crew members arranging stuff. Gulfstream is located here (planes not boats) but once again depending on who your owner/fleet is apparently there are "things on call" wherever you may be) like there is supposedly some kind of "master tailor" somewhere nearby if you're a captain from the whoseywhatsis and you need uniform spiffing (non denominational uniformage, like private company duds) You can get you a whole suit made in 2 days. I once met someone who is the "procurer" for the ports down here and foreign ships get all kinds of requests for restocking like blood pudding which you cannot get here, illegal. :D

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you might be referred to as a "Pommy bastard". 😆

You’re not wrong, loud and proud and technically true 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿, however, New Zealand’s less intelligent cousins ‘Aussies’ often get angry when the ‘Whinging Poms’ beat them at Cricket, Rugby, Soccer etc etc........... we’ve grown up forgiving their all too regular tantrums 😜

Edited by OoohMaggie

So my mom had her first shot when she was in a rehab center after her back surgery in January.  She got a Pfizer shot.  When it came time to get her second shot, I couldn't get a hold of anyone at the rehab to tell me when to take her in.  So no second shot.

I've been trying since then to get her the second shot, but no one was offering JUST the second shot except one pharmacy about an hour away.  About 2 weeks ago, her visiting nurse told her that she had to start over.  I set her up an appointment at the pharmacy 2 minutes from her house.  Her primary care doc called and told her she couldn't get it because she had to get the second shot of Pfizer.  It had been over 4 months since her first shot.  I told her have her doctor find her a shot, I was tired of trying.

Thursday, she calls me up.  "I got COVID." WHAT?!?!  How the hell did you get it?  And goddammit, my son is coming home in a week, he's not vaccinated (why, I have no idea, he's in the military), how the hell did you get it?  Then she keeps talking.  She got her second shot at Walmart.  Why, I ask, did you say you had COVID?  You scared the shit out of me.  "I thought you'd understand."  😒

• Like 1
  • Surprise 2

Yayyyyyyyyyyy 🤗, as of today we can eat and drink inside a building, just in time for my birthday tomorrow, going on holiday is no longer a crime although we’re limited to a few foreign destinations. One of those permissible destinations is Israel can you believe, although the rocket and bomb attacks between there and Gaza might keep you awake 🙄

June 25th is the day when all restrictions are due to be removed, yet as if by magic a new ‘Indian’ variant is infiltrating the country, predictably its more easily transferable than the previous variants (YAWN), I’m just glad that I’m not a cynical person 🤥

• Like 1

Yeah, don't go to India. Is the United States on the "no go" list?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Yeah, don't go to India. Is the United States on the "no go" list?

Thank you, we are operating a traffic light system of Red, Amber and Green for countries we can visit, the US is currently an Amber country, it’s advised that only essential ‘work’ trips are taken, holidays are not recommended. Trying to work out what is legal, recommended, not recommended but legal or just illegal is like trying to herd a group of cats, a complete fkin mess. Airlines have cancelled most flights to the US anyway so I don’t honestly think anyone knows 🤕

As we’re approaching the supposed ‘Freedom’ day, surprise surprise that not only have the Indian variant cases doubled, but we’ve now got a new ‘Thai’ variant to scare us witless and prolong this farce. When the fuck are people going come to their senses and realise just what is going on? Even the most non cynical people must surely be beginning to wonder 😔

• Sad 1

On 5/29/2021 at 3:00 PM, OoohMaggie said:

When the fuck are people going come to their senses and realise just what is going on? Even the most non cynical people must surely be beginning to wonder 😔

Apparently not soon, I'm down a cousin. My aunt told me last weekend my cousin Charles was in the hospital with covid and it wasn't looking good. (Not her son, other aunt) He passed away last night. He wouldn't wear a mask and wouldn't get a vaccine and said Jesus was gonna take care of it. He was long established crazy, his wife died about 20 years ago and she was a mennonite (?) something, long hair buns and skirts but not like Amish or Duggar religious. She was nice I liked her. Anywho after she died Charles became convinced that he was supposed to marry her sister. Jesus told him to. Got to a stalkery level of creepy. Yeah, Charles was nutty as a fruitcake.

• Sad 3

On 6/2/2021 at 7:35 PM, nachomama said:

Charles was nutty as a fruitcake.

In the end it’s all relative, condolences for your loss anyway,  my 88 year old aunt, her 60 year old daughter and 50 year old son, along with his 49 year old wife, are all due for their second ‘shot’ in the next couple of weeks, I’m terrified for them all.

On 6/3/2021 at 2:45 PM, OoohMaggie said:

my 88 year old aunt, her 60 year old daughter and 50 year old son, along with his 49 year old wife, are all due for their second ‘shot’ in the next couple of weeks, I’m terrified for them all.

I’m not sure I understand; are you saying you’re terrified for them to get their second vaccination in the series, or terrified they’ll catch one of the COVID variants before they can get their second shot?

My sister's gone on walkabout. Her boyfriend's nephew died (do not know if it was covid related) but she's on a jaunty vacation back to our home town. I warned my friend Marcy to hide. Apparently time and money mean nothing to her, she was supposed to head back Saturday, she's extended her stay, today she's meeting with our great niece (who was supposed to be in 90 day rehab) and then she's taking the scenic route home to swing by and visit some friend. This is a person with no job and my big fear is that she would just chuck it all and decide to stay. When she has a completely paid for home in Texas and no means to pay for anything in New Mexico. Because she just does shit like that. She posted a photo and I showed it to a friend and I said "if you say she looks like me, no one will ever be able to identify your body".

Just now, nachomama said:

I hope she's vaccinated, or him, or them or wherever they go. sigh.

Edited by nachomama
  • Laugh 2

I'm sure it's coming to NYC soon. I'm currently in Western Michigan, where approx. 5% of people are wearing masks indoors. In NYC just about everyone wears masks inside stores. We don't have to wear them at work, and it's kind of weird. 

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I never stopped wearing a mask.  You just never know when someone is going to have a meltdown and come at you violently for not wearing a mask.  I would rather avoid the drama and continue to wear the mask.

Depends on your neck of the woods, I reckon; around these parts, strangers are more likely going to take a run at you in public because you ARE wearing a mask.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Depends on your neck of the woods, I reckon; around these parts, strangers are more likely going to take a run at you in public because you ARE wearing a mask.

Where I am now, I keep expecting someone to say something to the only people wearing masks. But to be fair, no one has said anything to us. 

• Like 1

They pushed our back to the office date to October 4.  My boss thinks it's going to be pushed even further, maybe to January.

I'm fine with working from home.

• Like 1

I'm still in every Tuesday. There was talk about going back full time in September, but I haven't heard for a while. I'm pretty sure that'll be scaled back. 

• Like 1

So far my music festival (Louder Than Life) is still scheduled for late September, thank god.  The promoter has recently posted updated COVID-19 protocols, though - word is some of the acts were threatening to drop out if some protocols weren’t in place - and some of the ticket holders are losing their rabid-ass minds.

Me?  I just went out and bought new masks for the occasion - they arrived today:

29B0BC50-5FD2-476E-962E-D44A2DB160A5.thumb.jpeg.0e43186c0593b2c2b3e3eae43b56f762.jpeg

• Like 2

So you're going for all 4 days? There are a few bands on there I'd like to see. I would go Friday and Sunday. 

Honestly though, the thought of being around that many people terrifies me. It's nice they're putting up all those COVID rules, but how strictly will they be enforced? 

I'm supposed to go to my first band (High On Fire) in October, but we'll see. I haven't even been to a bar yet. I've been to a few indoor restaurants, and I'm apparently still alive. 

nodorothyparker

At the request of several of you, we're starting a separate pullout thread on coronavirus discussion: how it's affecting you, what you're seeing, whether years and years of watching this show have taught us anything about surviving it, guarding your toilet paper hoard against dickish scavengers, whatever.  Please confine related discussion to this thread and out of Small Talk.