Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nachomama

Talking the Virus: So Far the One Without Zombies

5 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I loved Waterworld!

Thank you! Me and Angela vs. the rest a youse!! 

• Laugh 1

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

You’re on!  Royal Rumble, last person standing, tag team turmoil rules, chairs, tables and ladders included ☠️ (no hair pulling allowed)

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Laugh 2

9 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

You’re on!  Royal Rumble, last person standing, tag team turmoil rules, chairs, tables and ladders included ☠️ (no hair pulling allowed)

Hair pulling allowed, because it won't work on me!! 

• Laugh 3

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

Make that three.  Directorially challenged and expensive as fuck  Waterworld may have been - but personally I always rather enjoyed the prospect of 99.9% of the world’s population going bubbly bye-bye.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

Oh, and FYI - wife and I were able to get our 2nd COVID shots today, almost a week ahead of our original scheduled appointments!  The pharmacy called to say they’d had some cancellations, and would we like to get bumped up on the calendar...?  😎

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Make that three.  Directorially challenged and expensive as fuck  Waterworld may have been - but personally I always rather enjoyed the prospect of 99.9% of the world’s population going bubbly bye-bye.

I'll be four.  I didn't have a problem with Waterworld.  I even liked the Postman, even tho it deviated from the book.  But it had an awesome Tom Petty cameo.  So fight me on that!

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1

15 minutes ago, Nashville said:

I will also add that Costner is perfect to play a fish, because that guy is as wooden as fuck! I don't see his appeal - he can't act, isn't particularly good looking. What am I missing? 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

50 minutes ago, madmax said:

I'll be four.  I didn't have a problem with Waterworld. 

How can you not love Dennis Hopper's way-over-the-top villain? "Smokers" who find cigarettes in a world covered in water! I haven't seen this in years, but I know there was a lot I liked about it, aside from the surly Costner. It was fun to watch.

I usually have no problem with Costner. He was great in the awesome miniseries "Hatfields and McCoys".  I'd rather watch him any day than that ubiquitious, talent-free Rock(head) Johnson who seems to be in every single big, dumb movie made in the last 5 years, all of which I refuse to watch. I did catch a bit of the horrible "Rampage" which featured Evil Negan, I mean JDM, channeling Negan. Ugh. I like some awful movies like "Sharknado" if I'm in the mood, but Rock's aren't even fun to hate. They're just idiotic CGI extravaganzas and stupid. He can't act his way out of paper bag and looking at his bulging steroided body makes me uneasy, feeling some part might explode any minute.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

On 4/13/2021 at 9:48 PM, Superclam said:

he can't act, isn't particularly good looking. What am I missing? 

Speaking as a straight Man with only the merest hint of envy, he was rather hot in The Bodyguard, although I wouldn’t be rushing past Whitney to get to him 🥵

On 4/13/2021 at 9:42 PM, madmax said:

I'll be four. 

Looks like I’ll have to hire a bigger venue...........🙄

• Like 3

Second shot today.  Crossing my fingers that I don't have any side effects.  I don't have time to be sick.

• Like 2

No effects from the second shot aside from a bit of fatigue.  So thankful I didn't get the flu-like symptoms that so many others were getting.

• Like 1

For whatever reason, my second shot (Pfizer) was much easier than the first. Just a sore arm and fatigue for about a day. The weird thing is, my wife, who is quite genetically distinct from me, had similar reactions. It's like we took each other's DNA when we got married. 

• Laugh 1

My dad is fully vaccinated (Pfizer). I'm not, yet. A friend got one of the two-shot vaccines, and has been dealing with really bad fatigue since the second one yesterday. 

• Like 1

Second shot Thursday. No effects I can clearly pinpoint to the vaccine. Headache but that could be anything. My arm was sore but pretty much all good. Pseudo planning a road trip for Memorial Day, we shall be fully vaccinated by then and we will slowly start moving about the cabin and putting seats in the upright positions. Prepare for boarding.  

• Like 1

Thought I’d posted this in here already, but maybe the site update ate it:

I hadn’t had any reactive symptoms of any kind from the first vaccination (Pfizer), so I was a leetle concerned about the potential for a karmic boomerang from the second.  Turns out I needn’t have worried.  I did have several reactions - soreness around the injection site, joint and body aches, headache, fever - but all were minimal, manageable with a couple of doses of Tylenol, and gone by about 48 hours after injection.  Fever never got above 100.0F, even.  
IMHO two days of minor discomfort were more than worth the associated peace of mind. 

• Like 3

On 4/19/2021 at 6:15 PM, Nashville said:

Thought I’d posted this in here already, but maybe the site update ate it:

I hadn’t had any reactive symptoms of any kind from the first vaccination (Pfizer), so I was a leetle concerned about the potential for a karmic boomerang from the second.  Turns out I needn’t have worried.  I did have several reactions - soreness around the injection site, joint and body aches, headache, fever - but all were minimal, manageable with a couple of doses of Tylenol, and gone by about 48 hours after injection.  Fever never got above 100.0F, even.  
IMHO two days of minor discomfort were more than worth the associated peace of mind. 

Did you have your second shot in the same arm as you had your first shot?

Last Fall when I went in for the flu shot, I was asked which arm I wanted in, the left or the right.  I said if those are my only two options, I will take it in the left arm.

8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Did you have your second shot in the same arm as you had your first shot?

Yes; I’m a lefty, so I got both shots in my right shoulder.  Because of the associated soreness, the preference is to administer the vaccine in the non-dominant arm.

• Useful 1

Well, I'm back in hard pants! Every other Tuesday. Not performative at all. 🙄

• Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

Hard pants! Haha. 
im booking my first post pandemic travel. Going home to see my friends new house and go to albuqierque balloon fiesta. Swinging around Phoenix to visit prison niece. Who says I don’t know how to have fun? I’m going to prison!! 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

3 hours ago, nachomama said:

im booking my first post pandemic travel. Going home to see my friends new house and go to albuqierque balloon fiesta. 

I love the balloon festival; one of my friends out there is part-owner in a balloon, and he’s never missed a festival.

ETA: The balloon on the lower left is his - “Breezy Rider”. :)

Breezy_Rider.thumb.jpg.5995e60d4cf7715c2e3c26bb86fb736e.jpg

Edited by Nashville
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 9:12 AM, Superclam said:

Well, I'm back in hard pants! Every other Tuesday. Not performative at all. 🙄

Our office is pushing for a "soft" open July 1, with a full office open September 9, after Rosh Hashanah.  You don't have to go in until September, so I'm still in soft pants for a while.  I just hope the hard pants still fit...

• Like 1

I hope my night/weekend job never goes back to the office. How can you not show up for work AT YOUR OWN HOUSE? How can you be late AT YOUR OWN HOUSE? Many people have been fired for these things during this pandemic. I've gotten 2 bonueses just for remaining employed aka SHOWING UP. Get this...Wednesday I barfed on a call. just sort of coughed and said excuse me and the lady was all "you ok?" boom I continued and got a complete. (I thought I could get to the end of the call I had a cup ready and was gonna run) I did tell my supervisor in case there was anything heard on the other end. (removed headset, don't actually have a mute button at home) he told me that was my "warrior" spirit. ha! I aint that dedicated to any job. Told him I needed a minute to clean up.

Hopefully I haven't created a nightmare for my trip in october. 2 one way tickets which was cheaper than any round trip. I was originally trying to fly into Phoenix and out from Albuquerque, Phoenix is cheaper both ways. Non stop. Currently there are seat restrictions but by October will they still be limiting? who knows. my flight out is Atlanta to Phoenix, non stop $89 <-- Eighty NINE  freaking dollars.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

My hometown of Liverpool has been chosen to carry out the first post Covid nightclub trial. For the first time in 14 months, a nightclub is being allowed to open over a two day event starting today,  some 6000 people will be attending, no masks, no distancing, bumping and grinding will be allowed 🥵 they have to present a negative test result with their ticket to gain entry.                                                                                                                            They will then be tested at various times over the following days, this is to see if the proposed widespread relaxation of Covid restrictions in June is feasible or not.

With many areas of the UK now not reporting any deaths with Covid for some time, things are looking up, the situation in India is worrying, I do hope we have the sense to enforce the strictest restrictions upon anyone travelling from that region, surely we’ve learned from our previous catalogue of f**k ups in that regard 🙄

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1

On 4/24/2021 at 12:41 AM, Nashville said:

I love the balloon festival; one of my friends out there is part-owner in a balloon, and he’s never missed a festival.

ETA: The balloon on the lower left is his - “Breezy Rider”. :)

Breezy_Rider.thumb.jpg.5995e60d4cf7715c2e3c26bb86fb736e.jpg

Hot-air balloons are so beautiful!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Hot-air balloons are so beautiful!

Absolutely, I’ve been fortunate enough to attend Europe’s biggest Balloon display twice at Bristol in England. The best part is when they hold their ‘Night Glows’, on a warm summer’s evening there’s nothing more majestic to look at.

• Like 1

Happy memories, hopefully we’ll be experiencing them again very soon 😋

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 2

I for one am very happy that you're in hard pants. It makes me twice as happy if the british guy is picturing hard underwear. :D Hard trousers might be even funnier. Let's form a band, we'll be Hard Trousers

• Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

Sadly, I can't sing, can't play any instruments. I just have to be a roadie. I played french horn in middle school but I was terrible and only pretended to play when we had performances. I can read music I just don't have any physical skill. Just like playing pool, I can tell you where to hit a ball, high/low, hard/soft, angles etc but can't make me own elbow coordinate with my digits.

44 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I played french horn in middle school but I was terrible and only pretended to play when we had performances.

Me too! On all accounts! 

This month the eligibility age has been dropped to include everyone over 18, so I got my shot yesterday. I was leery in case it was the AstraZeneca, as I had a bad feeling about that.

At the door I asked the nurse if we were getting that. She asked if I had an appointment and when I said I did, she told me I'd be getting Pfizer and the AZ was for people who showed up with no appointment. No appointment? Get over there and take that! 😄

The place was huge and I was prepared for a long wait, but surprisingly and even with the 15-minute waiting period after the shot (I guess to see if you were going to melt down or implode or something) I was in and out in about 25 minutes. Very well organized.

Other than a slight soreness in my arm, zero side effects. My last flu shot was much worse. I don't know if I feel any safer, but will continue wearing a mask. It's become a kind of mental security blanket.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, nachomama said:

It makes me twice as happy if the british guy is picturing hard underwear.

The ‘English’ guy is just thankful that he’s not picturing someone hard ‘in’ their pants 🤢

I have no idea what hard pants, or indeed trousers are!

My future as the trans Atlantic Loiuis Amstrong ended in junior school, when I picked up my instrument by the mouthpiece, resulting in the big heavy brass bit then dropping to the floor putting a huge buckle in the round trumpety thing on the end 🙄

Edited by OoohMaggie

Hard pants (trousers) are just regular pants  for anyone that has not been trucking into work and has been super lazy only wearing comfy pants aka sweatpants, (I know shoes are trainers, what are the workout outfits called in the UK?) basically everyone been existing in slouchy clothes so if you go back to work your trousers now feel "hard".

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

15 hours ago, nachomama said:

what are the workout outfits called in the UK?) basically everyone been existing in slouchy clothes so if you go back to work your trousers now feel "hard".

We have office wear, basically a suit, tie, polished shoes for those that work in a formal environment. We have leisure wear that is a lot more relaxed, trousers that don’t look part of a suit, light coloured with a polo shirt or jumper with no tie and lighter coloured, non polished footwear. I suppose the last would be sportswear, sweat pants, shorts, tennis / trainer type footwear, definitely what I try and wear whenever possible, which is why I’ve never worked in an office in my entire life. 
I blame that on the fact that unlike you guys who can wear what you like to school, from the ages of 5 to 16, we have to wear a school uniform, ‘hard’ trousers, shirt, tie, polished shoes, a blazer, we all looked like a bunch of office ‘stiffs’ for 11 years, that’s why so many pledged to never be seen in a suit again until they were laying in their open coffin 😇

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nachomama said:

Hard pants (trousers) are just regular pants  for anyone that has not been trucking into work and has been super lazy only wearing comfy pants aka sweatpants,

As far as I know, @nachomama, you coined the phrase, and should be making $$ off it. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Laugh 1

I've never worked in a stuffy office type place. I do not wear jeans to work but I certainly could. We are definitely semi-casual. I would have a very hard time if it was suity. But when you do the call center thing from home (they're going to replace my computer so hopefully that means staying home, wheeeee!) You can be pajamas, raggedy tshirt, no TROUSERS (I don't say pants) always pants. Thankfully we do not have any zoom kind of meetings. They did want us to post a photo of ourselves (for security reasons) into the app so that should one day someone show up that doesn't look like us they'd know we were lying. I gave them my 9th grade class photo with green hair. :D I told them they were damn lucky they didn't get a pic of me at 5. That was the last time any photos of me were legal.

• Laugh 1

On 5/4/2021 at 6:20 AM, Superclam said:

Well, I hope you're happy. Sitting here in hard pants. 😭

Damned if THAT statement isn’t open to multiple interpretations....

• Laugh 1

8 hours ago, Nashville said:

Damned if THAT statement isn’t open to multiple interpretations....

It's funny, because I can't think of a place less arousing than my office. 

On 5/4/2021 at 1:58 PM, OoohMaggie said:

The ‘English’ guy is just thankful that he’s not picturing someone hard ‘in’ their pants

Today, in these United States, it's National No Pants Day. I imagine that would have quite a different meaning on the other side of the Atlantic. 

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

Today, in these United States, it's National No Pants Day. I imagine that would have quite a different meaning on the other side of the Atlantic. 

30529A6C-1D82-4441-A9A5-EAE08C69CFA4.jpeg.72750ce01649dc3d4d14e48c6652baf4.jpeg

• Like 1

nodorothyparker

At the request of several of you, we're starting a separate pullout thread on coronavirus discussion: how it's affecting you, what you're seeing, whether years and years of watching this show have taught us anything about surviving it, guarding your toilet paper hoard against dickish scavengers, whatever.  Please confine related discussion to this thread and out of Small Talk.