Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nachomama

Talking the Virus: So Far the One Without Zombies

This corona virus is getting nutty! If we lose Tom Hanks over this I'll riot. They've postponed/cancelled our St. Patrick's day parade, don't know if that impacts me. We usually take the day off because you can't get to and from work with all the traffic, we are very close to the parade route. But that means a lot of stuff I've been working on all week was "hurry, hurry, hurry" and then "oh well hold it" Lot of stuff being postponed. Someone told me that the H1N1 virus from several years ago 13,000 in the US died so how much worse is this?

I'm set on TP but since I threw away all my food in my fridge, I don't really have a lot. I have canned food and I'm discovering I've got old old stuff in the pantry. It doesn't really go bad but I guess I wasn't interested in eating those green beans anyway so now that the apocalypse is nigh I'll be stuck with them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nachomama said:

This corona virus is getting nutty! If we lose Tom Hanks over this I'll riot. They've postponed/cancelled our St. Patrick's day parade, don't know if that impacts me. We usually take the day off because you can't get to and from work with all the traffic, we are very close to the parade route. But that means a lot of stuff I've been working on all week was "hurry, hurry, hurry" and then "oh well hold it" Lot of stuff being postponed. Someone told me that the H1N1 virus from several years ago 13,000 in the US died so how much worse is this?

I'm set on TP but since I threw away all my food in my fridge, I don't really have a lot. I have canned food and I'm discovering I've got old old stuff in the pantry. It doesn't really go bad but I guess I wasn't interested in eating those green beans anyway so now that the apocalypse is nigh I'll be stuck with them.

The projected infection and casualty numbers certainly don't inspire hope.   If the curve isn't allowed to flatten - which is being implied to seem likely, unfortunately - the healthcare system can't hope to keep up.  Not implying it will reach Italy levels, but that's a possible offhand comparison.

Been watching news all day, and some are saying this viral outbreak - at least the number of confirmed cases - hasn't even really started yet.  Things are going to get a lot more (at least) different, if not worse, before things start to normalize.

Then you got the total panic over TP and whatnot.  And now all the cancellation/suspension of jobs or having people work from home, schools closing, theme parks, Broadway, travel bans, and pretty much all sporting events & leagues.  Stock market took a sharp dive today.

Please buckle up.  The ride will be starting shortly.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Please buckle up.  The ride will be starting shortly.

They reckon that the UK is two weeks behind Italy. This  country has its head up its arse, it let’s in flights from quarantined northern Italy without any checks, this week, thousands of Spanish football fans from a badly hit area  were allowed to stroll up to Liverpool for the game, no checks on any of them. I have a sick mother that will die if I pass it on to her. Who’s laughing at the preppers now?

• Useful 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

They reckon that the UK is two weeks behind Italy. This  country has its head up its arse, it let’s in flights from quarantined northern Italy without any checks, this week, thousands of Spanish football fans from a badly hit area  were allowed to stroll up to Liverpool for the game, no checks on any of them. I have a sick mother that will die if I pass it on to her. Who’s laughing at the preppers now?

I'm sorry to hear that for you and your mother.

I'm in a similar boat with my father.  He isn't in the 70+ age range, but he has diabetes so I am praying he doesn't get it from work or shopping, or from me - I am on vacation this week, but work retail - as I'm not sure if his already compromised health will be able to beat it.

I'm not turning this political - I don't do politics - but the very top levels of our government not only failed weeks and months ago, but are still failing this country.  We are just now - just now - in a national emergency and are finally ramping up efforts to combat this, after the nationwide spread has already happened and will only continue until preventative measures take effect.  After seeing what happened in China, in Italy and EU, they waited until the country reached nearly 2,000 *confirmed* cases - and so many more hundreds or thousands probably already with it, or nearby a contraction point - to finally come forward and actually do something.

Its a mess.  A complete mess.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Stock market took a sharp dive today.

Oh, my portfolio!😱 TGIF, so I can get two days of non-stress watching the ticker.

this week, thousands of Spanish football fans from a badly hit area  were allowed to stroll up to Liverpool for the game, no checks on any of them.

But stopping anyone from doing anything they want to do might be construed as politically incorrect, something people would rather die than admit they are. A plague is nothing in comparison.

Heading out now to stock up on essentials, like wine and spiced nut mix.

15 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Oh, my portfolio!😱 TGIF, so I can get two days of non-stress watching the ticker.

I'm not even looking at my retirement accounts. I'll just ride out the next few ups and downs. I just met with my financial advisor in January, and it was up! 

Beyond washing my hands and stocking up on stuff, I'm not doing much different. I'm on the NYC subway everyday, and if it's a 2-week incubation period, if I get it, I get it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I'm not even looking at my retirement accounts. I'll just ride out the next few ups and downs.

I worked my whole life at the stock exchange. The market is driven by two things: Fear and greed. The worst thing is to panic and sell at the bottom. If you have the time you can try to wait it out. In my career I saw larger percentage (not points) drops. All in all, I just dunno!

43 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Beyond washing my hands and stocking up on stuff, I'm not doing much different.

So, you're not planning to do battle over rolls of TP, like these charming ladies? (can someone explaint to me this TP frenzy?)

• Like 1

I have at least 10 years before I retire, so I can wait. 

We ordered some TP from Fresh Direct last week, so we have enough to last us a while.  We have plenty of food, but that's what's making me nervous, even though there are probably 5 supermarkets within a mile. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

(can someone explaint to me this TP frenzy?)

I just read something by a psychologist about how it comforts people, makes them feel in control. The world may be falling apart, but they have their fluffy white rolls. 

• Laugh 3

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

So, you're not planning to do battle over rolls of TP, like these charming ladies? (can someone explaint to me this TP frenzy?)

People are crazy idiots?   😒

I could much more understand if diarrhea was part of the CV symptoms and/or effects, but its not.   So this TP frenzy just makes no sense.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

23 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Here's the article: https://www.insideedition.com/why-are-people-hoarding-toilet-paper-in-response-to-coronavirus-58631

Your crazy idiot explanation also has its merits. 

Ah, I see:

"People are stocking up on and hoarding toilet paper because it gives them a sense of comfort and control,"

It all makes sense now. My rack full of wine gives me comfort as well.

And yeah, people are crazy idiots. 🙄

• Like 3

12 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I'm sorry to hear that for you and your mother.

Thanks,  I hope your dad manages to keep safe, it’s a pain in the ass, but for those at risk staying indoors for the duration has got to be the way to go.

11 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I’m glad it’s not just the loons in this country clearing the shelves of loo roll, you can’t buy a pack of pasta anywhere, hand sanitiser gel, forget it.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 2

Just got a food delivery. We're good for a few weeks. They were unable to deliver hand soap and some cleaning products. We didn't even ask about toilet paper. 

• Like 2

There’s no shortage of products, just selfish assholes hoarding everything. How the hell is anyone comforted by toilet paper? Morons. The stores seriously need to start rationing. I saw one sack of shit unload 2 carts to his car, and go back for another 2 cart run. Left all the chicken hearts, though. 

lot of fear mongering over SARS 2.0. I’m old enough to remember back in the day country people used to expose all the kids in town to measles to build herd immunity and nothing was shut down and everyone had toilet paper. We’ve become a bunch of antisocial, helpless whiners.

oh well, the Black Plague ushered in the Renaissance. 

• Like 3

I remember when my mom talked about exposing kids to chicken pops. I don’t think she did it but I know exactly where and who I got it from. One Sunday at church we did some “hold hands in a circle song” and I was holding hands with a girl with long blonde hair. In my head I said she looked like Mary ingalls from little house on the prairie.  And she had just recovered but clearly she was still contagious. And yes we called it chicken pops 

• Laugh 2

I sincerely hope that every last person who thought they were more important than their fellow man get rats and cockroaches nesting in their 200+ stash of toilet paper. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

The scariest part about about these TP fantatics is that they are voting. And breeding.

3 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I sincerely hope that every last person who thought they were more important than their fellow man get rats and cockroaches nesting in their 200+ stash of toilet paper. 

Bedbugs! Much harder to eradicate than other pests.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

On 3/13/2020 at 6:57 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Is it safe to say in the ZA you would be squatting to the left of Alpha? 

Me in the ZA?  I am going to be finding a comfy home to hide out in.  Away from the Protagonists and the Whisperers.  At this point it is hard to tell which group is more dangerous.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, nachomama said:

I remember when my mom talked about exposing kids to chicken pops. I don’t think she did it but I know exactly where and who I got it from. One Sunday at church we did some “hold hands in a circle song” and I was holding hands with a girl with long blonde hair. In my head I said she looked like Mary ingalls from little house on the prairie.  And she had just recovered but clearly she was still contagious. And yes we called it chicken pops 

I wish my mom had sent me across the street as a young kid so I would have gotten them from the kid who had chicken pox.   I didn't get them until I was sixteen or seventeen and it was a brutally bad case.  I have quite a few scars as a result that I wouldn't have had if I had been exposed to chicken pox much earlier.

I had no self-esteem to begin with.   Having chicken pox made things infinitely worse, I was horribly depressed.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Sad 2

They just closed NYC public schools through 4/20. My agency is, of course, still open. 

It’s just  been on the news here that people in the US are panic buying guns, is this linked to fights over the toilet paper? 🤔

Edited by OoohMaggie · Reason: Should have written that in the first place
  • Surprise 1

People need to be informed, not inundated.   Get the information they need and turn off the damn tv.  Watching that shit all day long, or constantly reading about it on the internet Imo does nothing but elevate anxiety levels.

The media needs to get out of the opinion business and get back into the objective information business in a calm and cool fashion.  Of course in my lifetime they have never been in the objective information business.  It has gotten much worse in the last decade.

The second thing they need to do is to prepare people, not scare them.

Show a bunch of stories where toilet paper is disappearing off of the shelves and the result will be a run on toilet paper.   Show massive lines at grocery stores and that will create longer lines at grocery stores.   None of that should be a surprise.

This is the last time that I will speak about the subject.   I need a diversion from the non-stop coverage and topic.  Plus I refuse to add to it.  That isn't helpful on any level.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2

I saw the lines for guns in California but somehow heartened to see they were lining up for weed in Colorado. THAT'S pandemic prepping, if you're going to "social distance" (something I've been a pro at since at least 1984) with your family then you need to medicate with weed. For now both my jobs are normal, printing company is already fairly isolated, it isn't "the public" we each have separate rooms and don't have to breathe each other's air much and only a few customers come through. My boss makes deliveries and he may have the most exposure. His mom is 82 so she might limit her activities. The other job is a call center, so yes, 100 bodies all squoze into a space, they have a contingency plan they're trying to put in place, have us work from home. We already took a hit, lots of the workers are college students and the schools are shutting, going online. They were already going on spring break but now they won't be returning, They've told them to stay home at least for the forseeable future. I was supposed to be doing a graduation program for March 27 but I'm going to bet that I'll be getting a halt on that. Oi Vey it's getting weird out there. Be safe.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The media needs to get out of the opinion business and get back into the objective information business in a calm and cool fashion.  Of course in my lifetime they have never been in the objective information business.  It has gotten much worse in the last decade.

Someone on my radio this morning said this would all look very different if there was suddenly no internet for 2 weeks. Fear-mongering is what the media does best. Those ratings have to be kept up you know.

The "opinion business" is what bothers me most. "Well, IF this happened, then THAT could happen and then we'd all be...," they shriek.

I see Tom Hanks and Rita are suffering the dire effects of this new bubonic plague:

"We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches," the Cast Away star wrote on Instagram last week. "Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too."

Oh, and they put too much vegemite on their toast is the general opinion.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1131254/tom-hanks-son-colin-weighs-in-after-dad-sparks-vegemite-debate?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

4 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I SAW THAT TOO!!!!!  I've heard it's disgusting but I did hear an Australian say you put barely a swipe on the toast so when I saw the photo (I say staged, no way they actually ate it) I was like omg they're gonna die of vegemite!

• Like 1

Well, they just told us we're working from home starting tomorrow. It's gonna be tough, but at least I won't have to take the train for a while. 

Rather than go to trivia Tuesday we are going to get together and make dinner, soon though I guess we'll socializing via skype or something. I don't think there are any cases here and we know each other well enough to not fear breathing on each other but this will get stir crazy if we can't do anything for long periods. And I'm anti-social!

When I go scout for food tonight I'm going to try and buy things for a shelter that normally cooks meals but has temporarily gone to handing out bags of food. You can drive by drop it off and I guess they walk in to pick up.

13 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

People need to be informed, not inundated.   Get the information they need and turn off the damn tv.  Watching that shit all day long, or constantly reading about it on the internet Imo does nothing but elevate anxiety levels.

The second thing they need to do is to prepare people, not scare them.

Show a bunch of stories where toilet paper is disappearing off of the shelves and the result will be a run on toilet paper.   Show massive lines at grocery stores and that will create longer lines at grocery stores.   None of that should be a surprise.

This is the last time that I will speak about the subject.   I need a diversion from the non-stop coverage and topic.  Plus I refuse to add to it.  That isn't helpful on any level.

I've always felt the news industry suffered from two things. Back in the Reagan era when it was decided that the government should cut funding for public broadcasting and the growth of 24 hour cable news channels. 24 hours news is not particularly the problem, but now "news" had to compete with every other entertainment genre. Enter the dueling, screaming commentators and entertainment disguised as news. We all want to be informed, but credible info doesn't arrive every second, yet these channels have to keep providing questionable, mind numbing and exaggerated info to maintain an audience share. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

We all want to be informed, but credible info doesn't arrive every second, yet these channels have to keep providing questionable, mind numbing and exaggerated info to maintain an audience share. 

They always do that, for every single thing! And if they have nothing new, the reporters will wildly speculate, chat with each other about what might have or could happen, no matter how unlikely, or repeat the same thing and run the same clips over and over and OVER to the point where you are comatose and don't even care if WWIII is impending.

• Like 1

I'm a frikking moron! (this is not news) So I wanted to do 2 things yesterday, 1) not spend 2 hours in a line to buy groceries and 2) try to support a "local" grocery store that might be suffering as a result of the virus. Asian market basically, while yes they have the asian stuff they do also have vegetables and coke and probably toilet paper, who knows. So I google one up and I know the road and I think I know where it's at. Apparently I don't know numbers so good because the address 6009 is like way the fuck outta town. Like 11 miles. I keep going and going and going and pass a walmart, fuckit, I'm going to walmart. So yes I'm an asshole but holy fuck it's sincerely NOT in my town, I don't know how it geographically qualifies...anywho. I needed salmon and salad and friggin tortilla chips*. So in order to not waste 2 hours in line, I instead wasted them in traffic.

* We are making taco salad for dinner tonight and I HAD tortilla chips but I don't think it follows Covid safety guidelines if you pick up the bag of chips and somehow the bottom has given out and all the chips fall out into the grocery bag. I personally eat them at home because they didn't hit the floor but are less than crunchy because they're just sitting in a grocery bag**. I don't show up to other people's houses with opened, stale chips.

**I just remembered I do have a chip clip...it's on my stupid new refrigerator! OMG I am so stupid. I been eating stale chips for years because I'm too lazy to buy one and some realtor left one, it's shaped like a house and it's a magnet but also seals up your chip bag.

• Laugh 1

And? How was Walmart? Did you get salmon? 

I went out to get food for the kids, and it's weird. Restaurants aren't allowed to have people sitting in them, so all tables and chairs have been removed. My Chinese place said they are closing after tonight. There's talk of a "shelter in place" in NYC, where you can only go out for food, gas or money. Strange times. 

3 hours ago, nachomama said:

but are less than crunchy because they're just sitting in a grocery bag**.

Stick em in the microwave for a few seconds, it revives limp / tired crisps, chips as you call them.

Edited by OoohMaggie

Yes I nuke 'em at home I just usually refrain from doing that amongst friends. I like to let them pretend that I don't eat food off of the floor.

Walmart was fine, crowded, but I think most of the panic had subsided, no toilet paper of course but no 2 hours wait. Aside from cleaning supplies, bread and water, tp they had everything else well stocked. I'm all set on tp, that wasn't an emergency, I even have a little to spare. I told my friend where we are going to cook that we can all bring our own roll in case it becomes an issue. ;)

• Laugh 1

On 3/13/2020 at 5:57 PM, AngelaHunter said:

The worst thing is to panic and sell at the bottom. If you have the time you can try to wait it out. In my career I saw larger percentage (not points) drops.

Same here.  Take a look over the past month and it would appear somebody just did a Houdini with about 1/4 of my retirement savings - but that’s only a potential loss, and that potential loss is not realized unless I were to cash out/sell while the market is in this hole - which I have exactly zero intention of doing.

(Actually, I was thinking now would be an excellent time to take some spare cash I have lying around and buy into yet another S&P500 index fund....)

On 3/13/2020 at 5:57 PM, AngelaHunter said:

So, you're not planning to do battle over rolls of TP, like these charming ladies? (can someone explaint to me this TP frenzy?

IMHO the true reason is much more pragmatic; people (a) are scared to death they’ll end up being quarantined for a couple of weeks, and (b) have absolutely no fucking clue how much toilet paper they normally use in a week anyway. So they buy a LOT more than they actually need.

Definitely don't be lookin at no portfolios right now. My advisor actually is rolling me over to other stuff to take advantage of the "buy low". I also looked into refinancing my house, interest rates are down so if you can shave a point or so off you can save big money. My current interest rate is 4.25 and I qualified for 3.625 which I don't think is enough when you consider closing costs plus having to have my home inspected (not in the best shape, don't need to be told replace some siding and paint that bitch) I know these things need to be done, just don't currently have the fundage. My money man and I have also already cooked up a plan for me to pay my mortgage off early anyway, so yes, I could save $13,000 if I paid my loan out over the length of my normal term if I refinance but I intend to have it paid off in 5, just since we started rolling out our plan I've shaved $5,000 off what I owe.

Apparently big doings at the second job, we lost a major account but picked up 2 others. So far my life doesn't look any less busy with quarantine or social distancing. Still crazy nutso with work, I have no kids to home school.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nashville said:

(Actually, I was thinking now would be an excellent time to take some spare cash I have lying around and buy into yet another S&P500 index fund....)

If you have time, won't need that money in the next few years and can wait, this is certainly a good blue chip buying opportunity.

Hey, I still have my "I Survived the Crash of '87" t-shirt! 😆

2 hours ago, nachomama said:

. My current interest rate is 4.25 and I qualified for 3.625

That almost makes me wish I still had a mortgage just so I could gloat about how low the interest rate is.

21 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

That almost makes me wish I still had a mortgage just so I could gloat about how low the interest rate is.

I really wish I could capitalize on this because I have a friend who refinanced a little over a month ago and was so proud of his rate, if I could beat him I'd be so happy.

• Laugh 1

Rick Grimes Cries Over Coronavirus Toilet Paper Shortage

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 7

The schools close tomorrow for up to six months, no summer exams for anyone, FFS 😱

• Surprise 1

I’ve never been shopping before and left with an empty bag, the supermarket was like entering an episode of The Walking Dead, all that was missing was the tumbleweed rolling down the street 😣

• Surprise 1

On 3/16/2020 at 10:33 AM, AngelaHunter said:

Someone on my radio this morning said this would all look very different if there was suddenly no internet for 2 weeks. Fear-mongering is what the media does best. Those ratings have to be kept up you know.

The "opinion business" is what bothers me most. "Well, IF this happened, then THAT could happen and then we'd all be...," they shriek.

I see Tom Hanks and Rita are suffering the dire effects of this new bubonic plague:

Oh, and they put too much vegemite on their toast is the general opinion.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1131254/tom-hanks-son-colin-weighs-in-after-dad-sparks-vegemite-debate?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

EXACTLY. Kids. This is the SARS virus that circulated in 2003. Now we are risking financial ruin to keep people too weak to fight a virus with a low case fatality rate because of the idiots insisting everyone must live forever. Meanwhile, all these people in nursing homes they’re obsessed with are quietly dying from influenza. If my work closes down I will be ruined financially. I’d rather take my chance with this glorified cold and isolate the weak people. 

This is what we endure from June-November every year in Florida. First, they talk about the old timey hurricanes. Then they segue into the 2004 season. Then 2005. Luckily for these fear mongering jackals, the 2017 season gave them more cannon fodder. Shot of some normal looking small Florida waves in north bay village. Cut to Katrina. Some guy in NC babbling about the frying pan tower. Cut to Camille. Some fool with plastic Ken doll hair tells us this just formed tropical wave 2,000 miles away could be the “big one”. Cut to Andrew. Before it hit, it was called the “big one”. Now it gets relegated to second class citizen, though it was a super unusual small hurricane that acted like a giant tornado. Now poor Andrew sucks, though I saw the incredible destruction myself. They downplay it because we rebounded from it. Can’t use it to scare us with anymore. 

I loathe these people. Thoughts become things. They want bad thoughts for their ratings. I’d watch the damn news if it were news and not opinion pieces, and some of it was good. PS saw a doctor On TV who opined it was our responsibility to maintain our health to prepare for pandemics, this overall wasn’t doomsday, and he thought the fear mongering was more damaging. Of course he was shouted down by the non MD reporter child who called him a victim blamer. Every person in my training class at work eats fast food for each meal. They are obese with health problems. That is 100% their fault. They are at greater risk for disease than I am. Viruses take the sick and weak. That’s sort of their job. People in nursing homes with no quality of life, no mobility, pooping their pants. Sure, let’s crash the economy so they can get one more miserable year in. 

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Like 2

The schools close tomorrow for up to six months, no summer exams for anyone, FFS 😱

We have until April 20th here, but I think it'll go until the end of the school year. I'm working from home and it's rather quiet in NYC which is an odd sensation, to say the least. Supermarkets seem to be well stocked except for a few items. (Toilet paper and hand sanitizer.) 

Viruses take the sick and weak. That’s sort of their job. People in nursing homes with no quality of life, no mobility, pooping their pants. Sure, let’s crash the economy so they can get one more miserable year in. 

I’m never normally lost for words...................

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

PS saw a doctor On TV who opined it was our responsibility to maintain our health to prepare for pandemics, this overall wasn’t doomsday, and he thought the fear mongering was more damaging. Of course he was shouted down by the non MD reporter child who called him a victim blamer.

Heaven forbid a voice of reason dare pipe up to try and calm the wild stampeding of the herd which believes every single thing they read online or hear on the news. And don't even think of blaming/shaming anyone, ever, for anything at all they might do or have done to bring anything unpleasant on themselves. Personal responsibility has gone the way of the dinosaur. Eat yourself up to 500lbs, drink yourself into cirrosis, smoke meth until all your teeth rot out and it's still somehow someone else's fault.

But why aren't all these reporters staying home? Are they immune to this new Black Death? It reminds me how every time we have a major snowstorm here or freezing rain all the reporters on the radio screech, "STAY HOME!" and I always think "But they all got to work...?"

6 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Rick Grimes Cries Over Coronavirus Toilet Paper Shortage

Brilliant. Just brilliant. 😂

• Like 2

I thought we were supposed to be out of the major danger zone by end of April?!  I hadn't anticipated that schools would be shut through the end of the year. Mind boggling and I don't have kids.

Our stores aren't cleaned out either, just the tp and the sanitizers. Was bread and water but I think that's restocked. I do think there are random outages, because some of the trucking/supply lines are bogged. They're closing rest areas but where the hell will truckers stop? How can the guy bringing you 60 rolls of toilet paper eat if only drive throughs are open? If it keeps up through April we truly are fucked because nothing will get through. Who has the last laugh, the guy who got the toilet paper early and therefore can shit for a year but then runs out of food because nothing else is getting delivered? Or the guy who got the food but has to scoot around on his lawn to wipe his butt because he ran out of tp?

I have a friend in NYC and she just lost her job, it's corona related but only in disguise. She works in the hotel business which is obviously going to feel the crunch but there's no attempt to save the jobs. No contingency plan.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Nice to see so many have reliable epidemiological resources unavailable to NIH or the CDC, that they can make confident assertions about such things as mortality rates.  🙄

• Like 2

Stay at home just enacted here in NYS. Gonna be a looooooooooooooooong haul. 

• Like 1

Most people who get this will recover, unless they are already pretty seriously compromised in which case a regular flu, e.g. could take them out. For this TPTB are willing to plunge us all into another depression. I'm no expert, but it seems to be a bit of overkill.

I just went to the pharmacy. Things were not abnormal, except for the no-touch at the cash. Of course the TP was all gone, as this loony hoarding continues. You'd think people would be hoarding food items or medication, but no - toilet paper is king.

2020-03-20 Coronavirus Map Tracking the Global Outbreak.jpg

1 hour ago, Superclam said:

Stay at home just enacted here in NYS. Gonna be a looooooooooooooooong haul. 

All pubs, bars and restaurants here have been told to close from tonight, the GOV is supposedly working on paying up to 80% of people’s wages, I’ll believe that when I see it. Scaremongering aside, this is serious shit that’s going down, if I have to end up penniless on the streets to keep my mother alive, so be it. I’m getting a little sick of the ‘I’m alright Jack’ fuck the elderly attitude that seems to be becoming more common, coming mainly from people who don’t have anyone they care about who will die if they succumb to this shit, talk is cheap 🤬

• Like 3

nodorothyparker

At the request of several of you, we're starting a separate pullout thread on coronavirus discussion: how it's affecting you, what you're seeing, whether years and years of watching this show have taught us anything about surviving it, guarding your toilet paper hoard against dickish scavengers, whatever.  Please confine related discussion to this thread and out of Small Talk.