Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: All Hands On Dex

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, VartanFan said:

I hope it comes back but most everything I like doesn’t...(I will never get over the cancellation of The Grinder).  

Too bad Rob Lowe has a new show...He would have been a good Mr. Parios in his selfish, smarmy, sleazy mode....

• Love 3
On 3/26/2020 at 11:53 AM, saber5055 said:

Same here, especially since Tookie told us it was girlfriend stuff. I did think it weird Ansel stood behind the door when he opened it, maybe he and Mom met already?

When Tookie overheard him on the phone, Ansel was saying "When can I see you again?" So, sounds like it.

On 3/26/2020 at 1:12 PM, gibasi said:

I can hand wave a lot of stuff and just say well it is tv. So all the things about her being arrested and no real investigation and all-yeah stupid and not credible but I like the show so it is okay. But this was the first episode where I really didn't like Dex. Maybe because I've read a lot lately about narcissists but boy did she fit the profile here. She didn't care about anyone else, just her mission. She didn't care if she ruined Miles' career. Everything was about her and what she wanted. She wasn't aware of anything going on with Ansel. And she is still taking the blame for Benny's death which is really just making it all about her. Still.

I've had a hard time with her lately, starting when she originally came to Miles about getting the DoD file. I was like, how is he supposed to help with that?! She asks SO MUCH of Grey and Miles, it really is insane what she's willing to ask and how oblivious she is to the risk to them. She is so self-focused she can't even see around her. And then went off alone, when she desperately needed backup and a witness.

What in the world was Miles thinking, confiding in the partner? I was hoping he had a plan and was planting something there, not just confessing.

• Love 6
On 3/25/2020 at 8:33 PM, phalange said:

Now that’s a cliffhanger. I had the sneaking suspicion that it was their mother Ansel was talking to because there’s been build up with that story all season. I wonder how he was able to get in contact with her.

After his non response to Tookie, and the fact that names were never mentioned, I got that feeling too.

On 3/25/2020 at 8:49 PM, shapeshifter said:

What are the odds Miles will join Dex's Detective Agency? Heh, when they go to get information from unsuspecting strangers, they can say, "I'm DDA Whatever Name" and not get in trouble for posing as the Deputy District Attorney.

It did cross my mind

On 3/26/2020 at 10:51 AM, saber5055 said:

Grey's in a hospital bed and now being blackmailed into helping track and find his father who has been missing X years? Unbelievable. Blackmailed about what? What does anyone have on Grey these days to force him to do anything he doesn't want.

He has a criminal past. He served time, but probably not for every crime he committed. So I'm guessing there's a big on this guy is holding over his head.

On 3/26/2020 at 1:12 PM, gibasi said:

I can hand wave a lot of stuff and just say well it is tv. So all the things about her being arrested and no real investigation and all-yeah stupid and not credible but I like the show so it is okay. But this was the first episode where I really didn't like Dex. Maybe because I've read a lot lately about narcissists but boy did she fit the profile here. She didn't care about anyone else, just her mission. She didn't care if she ruined Miles' career. Everything was about her and what she wanted. She wasn't aware of anything going on with Ansel. And she is still taking the blame for Benny's death which is really just making it all about her. Still.

Yeah, I did not like, or feel a lot of sympathy for her in this episode.

On 3/26/2020 at 3:41 PM, saber5055 said:

Is Sue Lynn Benny's mom? I like her character and how she's always blowing smoke about her people when it's convenient. Her side kick is also fun, and a hottie too. I like both of them, and their connection to Dex.

Yes.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:34 PM, Orbert said:

Count me among those blindsided by Mom, which was also a massive disappointment for me.  For reasons which escape me now, I've stuck with the rebooted Hawaii Five-0, which had a torturous, multi-season arc involving McGarrett's Mom, which completely wasted the otherwise great Christine Lahti.  Every episode with Mom was horrible.  When they finally killed her, I rejoiced, which I'm sure was not the intended effect.  McGarrett was weeping openly over this woman he barely knew, and all I could think of was "Finally!  Hopefully for good this time!"

I don't mind the Mom story, and have been waiting for it, despite having endured the Hawaii Five-0 travesty. I think I quit watching before she was finally killed off. I got tired of all the torturing.

On 3/28/2020 at 7:30 AM, Loandbehold said:

Don't you mean Character Actress Margo Martindale (tm Bojack Horseman)?

Or The Americans or Sneaky Pete. I love her, but I really like the idea of Holly Hunter, who has similar sharp features, and a similar vibe (at least she had in her Saving Grace series).

On 3/26/2020 at 6:55 AM, paigow said:

Where did TJ live? It seemed like Dex was outside Portland.. or was that name she said a fancy neighbourhood? Otherwise, Portland P.D. would not get the case...

TJ somewhere near Hood River - which is 60 or so miles east of Portland - not at all in their jurisdiction. The sergeant lived in Scappoose, which is closer, 21 miles north west-ish, but still way out of their jurisdiction.

• Useful 1
On 3/27/2020 at 7:36 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I was just tickled to feel so juvenile singing along to The Bay City Rollers!

I did the same! That really brought me back. Major kudos to the music department. 🎵 😁

On 3/30/2020 at 7:36 PM, VartanFan said:

I am SO GLAD that we got to the end (presumably) of the Benny plot this season.  I was terrified it was going to be a “Beckett’s Mom” 5+ season fiasco.  

I felt so bad for Grey that Dex couldn’t even be bothered to see him in the hospital.  I thought Ansel was talking to Dex on the phone and saying he missed her because she’d been arrested and pretty absent while obsessively investigating the Benny case.  

I hope it comes back but most everything I like doesn’t...(I will never get over the cancellation of The Grinder).  

Ditto! Same with Whiskey Cavalier, although I think The Grinder hurt more. 

• Love 1

The last time that I read up on Neilson Ratings they were still using the old style method to determine viewership of shows. In this day, I’m not sure how they can justify the numbers they arrive at. And, who would put any faith in them? Seems antiquated to me. They need a change. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The last time that I read up on Neilson Ratings they were still using the old style method to determine viewership of shows. In this day, I’m not sure how they can justify the numbers they arrive at. And, who would put any faith in them? Seems antiquated to me. They need a change. 

I believe the networks also use delayed viewing stats (I think they call it something else, I just read about that). Yeah, Neilson's don't really apply to today's viewing audience.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

On 3/26/2020 at 1:04 PM, gaucho91 said:

Also she was found passed out at the scene?!  They never even cared or tried to figure out why she was unconscious ... just assumed she was the murderer?

If they had given her a blood test, chloroform might have turned up.

On 3/26/2020 at 1:06 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Also, when Dex insisted that she and her attorney talk with Grey present. NO WAY...Attorney/client privilege is waived, if done in presence of third party. FAMILY doesn't mean anything with regard to this.  They could be compelled to testify as to what was said.  Oh well, I just ignore most of this stuff, because, I really like the show. 

I also had a huge problem with the "Grey is family" line with her lawyer.  Family or not, if you talk to your lawyer in front of a 3rd party (except possibly a spouse, or you are a minor accompanied by a parent, and that's not a guarantee) there is no privilege.  Grey could be compelled to testify about anything Dex said, and her lawyer could possibly be, too.  Sure, they could lie, but it's a terrible idea to lose attorney-client privilege.

On 3/26/2020 at 1:51 PM, saber5055 said:

All that money with the same year ... I thought for sure it was counterfeit and that was the big deal.

Me too.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:
On 3/26/2020 at 10:51 AM, saber5055 said:

All that money with the same year ... I thought for sure it was counterfeit and that was the big deal.

Me too.

One of the things that ticked me off in 06 is how large amounts of money would go missing over there, and no one seemed to care. So I never thought it was counterfeit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

One of the things that ticked me off in 06 is how large amounts of money would go missing over there, and no one seemed to care. So I never thought it was counterfeit.

I think there is something like 1.75 Trillion Dollars in Federal Reserve notes in circulation most of which are overseas. There is quite a bit of fake money out there as well made in places like North Korea and Britain.

The US troops distributed $12B in cash in Iraq and I am sure some of the did pocket a few bucks.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, UnknownK said:

I think there is something like 1.75 Trillion Dollars in Federal Reserve notes in circulation most of which are overseas. There is quite a bit of fake money out there as well made in places like North Korea and Britain.

The US troops distributed $12B in cash in Iraq and I am sure some of the did pocket a few bucks.

I'd like to think it was more the contractors we used. A huge amount of money went missing, though. So someone stole more than a little.

• Love 1
On 3/28/2020 at 12:34 AM, Orbert said:

Count me among those blindsided by Mom, which was also a massive disappointment for me.  For reasons which escape me now, I've stuck with the rebooted Hawaii Five-0, which had a torturous, multi-season arc involving McGarrett's Mom, which completely wasted the otherwise great Christine Lahti.  Every episode with Mom was horrible.  When they finally killed her, I rejoiced, which I'm sure was not the intended effect.  McGarrett was weeping openly over this woman he barely knew, and all I could think of was "Finally!  Hopefully for good this time!"

I actually stopped watching the Hawaii Five-O reboot because of McGarrett's mom who appeared a bunch of seasons ago. Every time she came on screen I believe I groaned out loud. The show would grind to a halt with her storyline. That said, I am really not a fan of Christine Lahti. She also plays a mom on "Evil." A while ago she was on "Law & Order: SVU." Maybe it's because her roles over the past decade have been people who are just not likeable. 

Bottom line I would be very sad if she showed up as Dex's mom. I frankly don't want a mom story at all!

But bring on that soundtrack please!! The songs in this show just make me very happy. We could use all the happiness we can right now!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, hookedontv said:

That said, I am really not a fan of Christine Lahti. She also plays a mom on "Evil." A while ago she was on "Law & Order: SVU." Maybe it's because her roles over the past decade have been people who are just not likeable. 

Bottom line I would be very sad if she showed up as Dex's mom. I frankly don't want a mom story at all!

Lahti is a fairly main character on Evil, which has been renewed for a second season... granted the Evil seasons are on the shorter side and probably don't preclude her from other work, but I doubt she'd show up in another mom role on a different network show. I think you're safe!

• Love 1