Type keyword(s) to search

Diggstown - General Discussion

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

DIGGSTOWN follows Marcie Diggs (Vinessa Antoine, Being Erica, Heartland), a star corporate lawyer who reconsiders her priorities after her beloved aunt commits suicide following a malicious prosecution. The team of lawyers that Marcie works with are a curious band of do-gooders, cynics and scrappers - messy souls struggling to keep personal disappointment and demons out of their practice. They work directly in the community to find justice for their diverse clients, exploring issues of racism, poverty and gender bias. Joining Antoine is a star-studded cast including Natasha Henstridge (Species), C. David Johnson (Street Legal), Stacey Farber (Grace and Frankie), Brandon Oakes (Arctic Air), Shailene Garnett (Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments), Tim Rozon (Wynonna Earp), and Dwain Murphy (Titans).

Every episode named after the client. I like it.

• Love 1

Thank you @statsgirl. Halifax is my hometown! This show is literally shot in my backyard so I course I have to love it, even though Marcie is impossibly noble.  

It's nice to see a less glamorous area of the law, and how many of Marcie's clients are unlikable without being cartoon villains.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2
On 3/19/2020 at 6:16 AM, marinw said:

It's nice to see a less glamorous area of the law, and how many of Marcie's clients are unlikable without being cartoon villains.

They do a good job of making it more realistic. Vinesse Antoine said that she liked that the cop in the first episode was Asian instead of the stereotypic white man.

I also like the older actors being brought back. Sonja Smits did a reprise of Street Legal. And Cathy Jones as the mother/relative from hell was a hoot.

• Love 1

Is that the end of the Ezra Evins storyline?  What a fizzle out. I hope this is not the beginning of Avery/Marcie. I like him with Pam.

Good for Pam standing up for her sister.

It was nice to see Cassandra James allowed to do more than the tiny bits General hospital let her do. The references to her character being transgender were very subtle, well done.

• Love 1

I wish Colleen was more supportive of Iris. Iris was attacked and defended herself. That seemed to be the overall theme of the episode: What happens when a woman fights off her attacker and then the original attacker adopts the role of the victim?

I think it was because Iris lost control. The "we are supposed to be better than our clients" idea.

We the audience know that it was because of her anger at her mother, who is really a piece of work, but Colleen doesn't.

Iris and Dani Ewing had in common that they were both acting irrationally in the situation.  Even though both cases worked out well in the end, going too far got them into trouble.

• Love 1

Epiosde 3.1 Nina Francis

Marcie defends a Continuing Care Assistant charged with assault and criminal negligence following an incident with a patient's daughter during the COVID-19 pandemic. Doug and Iris find themselves in a race against time as they fight for an indigenous unborn child to remian in the care of the family.

This was another episode where I wondered how the judge of Doug's case can be so biased. and whether it's true in real life of done just for the show. If this is what happens in real life, no wonder Indigenous people have given up on the law.

In the main story, singer Jully Black did a very good job as the care assistant. This is the first time I've seen her acting. Susan Kent,who I've only seen in comedic roles up to now, really made me feel for the daughter.

This show is distracting becuase it is literally shot in my backyard, so I know we are getting an slightly off alternate universe Halifax. In a previous episode the court house is actually the decommissioned Central Library. This week Viv and Marcy were standing in downtown Halufax, turned around and were suddenly in Dartmouth. Hahaha.

Edited by marinw