Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Beards, Thrupples and Robots

Pallas
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Isn't she still pulling shifts at the Mexican restaurant also?

Maybe? I'm not sure. Did she take over for Louise once the latter went back on tour? 

Becky also worked as a cashier back when Darlene was in 'art school' and felt that she was above that one good job opportunity that no one could believe she turned down.   Darlene was just coming home to hit dan up for money and going back to 'art school.'   Actually, didn't Becky also have a cashier job when she wanted a car?   I have been watching the old episodes occasionally since this show aired and. yeah,  Becky worked her ass of in school, and at menial jobs, while Darlene just acted like she was better than the rest of them.  I'm sorry but the fact that the Darlene character is an unemployed tiny shriveled train wreck with a teenager who is a nasty brat has had three different guys falling all over her since the show started again is pretty hilarious.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, lexiexx said:

Becky also worked as a cashier back when Darlene was in 'art school' and felt that she was above that one good job opportunity that no one could believe she turned down.   Darlene was just coming home to hit dan up for money and going back to 'art school.'   Actually, didn't Becky also have a cashier job when she wanted a car?   I have been watching the old episodes occasionally since this show aired and. yeah,  Becky worked her ass of in school, and at menial jobs, while Darlene just acted like she was better than the rest of them.  I'm sorry but the fact that the Darlene character is an unemployed tiny shriveled train wreck with a teenager who is a nasty brat has had three different guys falling all over her since the show started again is pretty hilarious.  

Taking this to the Past and Present thread. 

• Love 1

It's becoming apparent why the Conners are always broke, and it isn't because of bad luck.  Dan seems to have a good work ethic though, I guess that's why he at least owns a house.  He's been so grumpy this season, maybe that explains why he isn't more successful.

The Conners had two mortgages on their house in the original series (they took out a second mortgage to start up the bike shop). Given all the history re-writing the reboot has done it's hard to say but it seems unlikely Dan and Roseanne have paid both off. That's probably why Dan is still working at his age. 

Darlene made it sound like she was basically sponging off of Dan. No rent, no contribution to the bills or the groceries? Wow. I'd be really pissed off if I were Dan. He's pushing 70 and still doing drywall and construction. Darlene can damn well find some kind of job that allows her to contribute something if she wants to live there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Darlene made it sound like she was basically sponging off of Dan. No rent, no contribution to the bills or the groceries? Wow. I'd be really pissed off if I were Dan. He's pushing 70 and still doing drywall and construction. Darlene can damn well find some kind of job that allows her to contribute something if she wants to live there.

She did make a comment to Harris about paying for the water and electricity the latter uses when she comes over to do laundry.  Maybe she maxed out her credit cards paying for utilities.

It makes no sense that David is no longer paying child support for Mark. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

This show is pretty funny and one of the better reboots, but I agree with y'all (and Becky) that Darlene is terrible. She is sponging off her frail senior father, took out a credit card in Becky's name, mocks her boyfriend's appearance while he busts his ass on the new magazine and she mopes and complains about money, makes her daughter get her a job, pisses away said job without concern about how it makes her daughter look, and finally, let's not forget that magazine that took over was totally willing to hire Darlene in a good position until she totally blew that interview because she just can't not be unprofessional and snarky for 5 minutes. 

On the other hand, Darlene has been they way since the show began and I'm glad they are willing to write her as so unlikeable. I hope this new absurd magazine venture she thinks is gonna save her doesn't, cuz she needs to have some learning lessons. 

Jackie is hilarious. Laurie Metcalf has the best devliery when she plays it comic but real. Jackie needs to get a dog and become obsessed with it!

• Love 12
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

it seems unlikely Dan and Roseanne have paid both off. That's probably why Dan is still working at his age. 

I had to look this up, John Goodman is 67.  I actually would have guessed him in his 70s.  Larry David is 72, but he looks like he has really taken care of himself plus probably has good genes.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, TVbitch said:

This show is pretty funny and one of the better reboots, but I agree with y'all (and Becky) that Darlene is terrible. She is sponging off her frail senior father, took out a credit card in Becky's name, mocks her boyfriend's appearance while he busts his ass on the new magazine and she mopes and complains about money, makes her daughter get her a job, pisses away said job without concern about how it makes her daughter look, and finally, let's not forget that magazine that took over was totally willing to hire Darlene in a good position until she totally blew that interview because she just can't not be unprofessional and snarky for 5 minutes. 

On the other hand, Darlene has been they way since the show began and I'm glad they are willing to write her as so unlikeable. I hope this new absurd magazine venture she thinks is gonna save her doesn't, cuz she needs to have some learning lessons. 

Jackie is hilarious. Laurie Metcalf has the best devliery when she plays it comic but real. Jackie needs to get a dog and become obsessed with it!

I honestly think that they don't realize how unlikeable Darlene really is.   We're supposed to feel sorry for her and admire her perseverance.  She's supposed to be a victim of circumstance and generational poverty but smart as hell and tough as nails but I'm not seeing that at all. 

It's really funny that she is supposed to be the new backbone of this family, when she can't hold down a retail job and is planning a new baby when the kid she already has needed to ask her if he could get what he actually wanted for Christmas for once like three episodes ago.

• Love 12

I honestly think that they don't realize how unlikeable Darlene really is.   We're supposed to feel sorry for her and admire her perseverance.  She's supposed to be a victim of circumstance and generational poverty but smart as hell and tough as nails but I'm not seeing that at all. 

I agree, the writing is tone-deaf. I hope we never hear any more about having a baby either, because Darlene cannot even support herself right now, so to consider having another baby, deliberately? At her age? The height of irresponsible. But I think TV writers just think "awwww, babies!" and expect the audience to swoon. 

• Love 7

I honestly think that they don't realize how unlikeable Darlene really is. 

I agree. Darlene has all of Roseanne's worst qualities with none of Roseanne's good qualities. The character is reprehensible. Prospective baby-daddy dude needs to turn and run, fast and far. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I hope we never hear any more about having a baby either, because Darlene cannot even support herself right now, so to consider having another baby, deliberately? At her age? The height of irresponsible. 

Agreed, and it's not like the wannabe father is exactly in a stable situation career-wise or financially either.  Maybe the whole cast can just move in with Dan.

• Love 5
On 3/19/2020 at 5:04 PM, seacliffsal said:

At least Harris will be able to apply for unemployment (although Darlene won't as she was fired with cause...)

Why isn’t Darlene getting unemployment from tne magazine? 

• Useful 1
17 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Why isn’t Darlene getting unemployment from tne magazine? 

Wouldn't it be because they offered her a promotion and she quit instead?  So, she wasn't fired or let go, she chose to leave.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Right.  They offered her the job Ben had been doing (and presumably still doing hers as well), but at half the salary (or some dramatic reduction), and she said no thanks, sexist assholes.  She could claim constructive termination in an unemployment claim, and in some states succeed, but in most not; a lot of people who "quit" (because it's reasonable to, under the circumstances forced upon them), not quit, get hosed on unemployment.

• Love 4
On 3/20/2020 at 2:31 PM, iMonrey said:

The Conners had two mortgages on their house in the original series (they took out a second mortgage to start up the bike shop). Given all the history re-writing the reboot has done it's hard to say but it seems unlikely Dan and Roseanne have paid both off. That's probably why Dan is still working at his age. 

Sorry, I missed this somehow, but they do still have multiple mortgages.  Darlene talked about them in the episode where Dan broke his arm and they thought they were going to get money from that.

• Love 3

Warning: this is going to sound really petty, but I kept thinking about it when I was watching the last episode...

What happened to Sara Gilbert? She looks so haggard and unattractive. I realize all the actors are 30 years older from when the original show aired but jeez, she looks rough. Becky, Dan, Jackie, DJ, Crystal, David, even Bev still look great. Darlene looks like she’s been on a 30-year bender. She used to have the most amazing curls!  Her hair looks hideous now, and she just looks so...old. Much older than she really is. Does she look this bad in real life?

ETA: just found out she is 3 years younger than me! Jeez Louise, I thought she was easily in her 50s. 

Edited by Phoebe70
Corrected episode number
  • Love 5
On 3/24/2020 at 12:48 PM, Phoebe70 said:

Warning: this is going to sound really petty, but I kept thinking about it when I was watching the last episode...

What happened to Sara Gilbert? She looks so haggard and unattractive. I realize all the actors are 30 years older from when the original show aired but jeez, she looks rough. Becky, Dan, Jackie, DJ, Crystal, David, even Bev still look great. Darlene looks like she’s been on a 30-year bender. She used to have the most amazing curls!  Her hair looks hideous now, and she just looks so...old. Much older than she really is. Does she look this bad in real life?

ETA: just found out she is 3 years younger than me! Jeez Louise, I thought she was easily in her 50s. 

I have thought this myself and I adore Sara.  I don’t know if it’s bc she doesn’t moisturize or doesn’t wear sunscreen or what.  One thing I noticed is when she was younger she had really pale skin but doesn’t seem to be the case anymore-  again don’t know if this is too much sun or too much tanner, but the sun would explain some of the aging.  Her body is fit so it’s literally just her face.  Maybe she gained a lot while pregnant and lost a lot too quickly?  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, BeachDays said:

I have thought this myself and I adore Sara.  I don’t know if it’s bc she doesn’t moisturize or doesn’t wear sunscreen or what.  One thing I noticed is when she was younger she had really pale skin but doesn’t seem to be the case anymore-  again don’t know if this is too much sun or too much tanner, but the sun would explain some of the aging.  Her body is fit so it’s literally just her face.  Maybe she gained a lot while pregnant and lost a lot too quickly?

Has very pale, dry skin, and I look older than my age. It's genetics, and don't hate on us.

• Love 5
On 3/25/2020 at 10:14 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I kind of love that the thruple was really an excuse for the husband to cheat on his wife but have her think it was both of their ideas. Jackie getting out of there was hilarious. 

I was watching Ferris Bueller's Day off with my kids this evening. And it made me realize that Jackie has been in relationships with both Bueller siblings.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4