Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E01: It's Like They Never Left!

• Start Topic

Stephanie is humble and I like that about her. A lot of great contenders and she is right there in the mix. 

Gail is super thin. She looks great! If she gains 5 lbs enjoying all that food and wine, she will still be thin😂

I remember some of them loosely. Hope the tptb keep flashing back. At first glance, I thought Kristen and Brooke were back...wishful thinking😀

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, GonnahearmeRoar said:

At first glance, I thought Kristen and Brooke were back.

I also mixed up Melissa and Mae (sp?) but realized there are no winners here (just very close calls)..

• Love 3

Having binged my way through Great British Baking Show and made some of the recipes semi-successfully, I was feeling myself. .  . until at some point during last night's premiere I thought, I don't even understand what you did with that ingredient!  These people's cooking is legit next level.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

I like Bryan Voltaggio - he kind sucks at running restaurants, though. I prefer him to the Douchey Voltaggio.  The colored hair James Beard winner - I don't remember at all. I hope Nini gets a little further (and Malarkey goes quick).

• Love 1
15 hours ago, chabelisaywow said:

especially since he was the one who told Joe to do flatbread. (Note - never let anyone tell you what to cook). What a bunch of Malarkey! If Corey Haim could cook and had he lived - you have Brian Malarkey.

He didn’t suggest Joe do flatbread. Joe said I am thinking of doing a flatbread and than Brian jumped in to say oh that’s great use clams and uni to tie it together.

• Love 5

I'm rooting for anyone but Jenn. I hated her on her season, and she hasn't changed. Entitled and obnoxious. I could never stand how everyone tongue-bathed her and talked about how "ballsy" she was (she did it herself last night). Ballsy and nasty are NOT synonymous.

Oh, and did you know she worked for Eric Ripert? *eyeroll*

• Love 15
6 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I think you may be confusing Kevin with Josh Valentine from (I think) Season 10, who was known as bacon guy. Kevin Gillespie is far from the "one trick pony" that Josh was.

Josh:

54-Josh-Valentine-Is-A-Bacon-Loving-Tool

Thanks! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I actually paid attention to this episode, so that's a good thing... I think I had gotten a little burned out on top chef and skipped some episodes/ didn't actually pay attention to them in the past couple of seasons. I definitely remember the older contestants better than the ones from the latest seasons, but I also recognize more than I thought, I think it was mostly last season that I gave up an episode or two in.... 

But I did have fun with this episode. I was bummed that Leanne struggled so much and I don't remember disliking Marlarky on his season (but it was a long time ago) so I was okay with Joe going last night. Isn't flatbread sort of like making pasta on a grill? :P Flatbread can be really good grilled, but I can see why it didn't go over so well with the sogginess. I dislike seafood immensely, so these episodes are a little tougher for me to have any opinion on what the food should be like, but it sounds like there was a lot of creativitiy in some of the teams. 

Overall, i'm excited for more episodes... we'll see if it lasts :P I do want some more creative challenges, and honestly I kind of miss the weird stuff like make a dish out of ingredients from a vending machine etc.  That snickers on the end of a Cheeto amuse buche will never be forgotten.

• Love 7

There was a disconnect between how they served the food (family style) versus what the viewers saw (a single beautiful plate).   A lot of the comments the judges had about the dishes (runny sauces, soggy flatbread) related directly to problems that come from serving on a large platter. 

Also, Kevin Gillespie may not be the "Bacon Guy" but I'm pretty sure he was the "Pig Guy". 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 11

Am I the only one who thinks Brian Malarkey is fun?  I like him and enjoy what a character he is.  

Jenn Carroll, on the other hand, ugh — wish she wasn’t on again.

Wishing Chris Scott was one of the returnees — love him.

• Love 12

I found myself remembering how much I really like some of these people, and I think that’s going to make this a little hard to watch. I’ve already got favorites!  

For example, I’m not necessarily of the opinion that Joe should be the winner, but I hated to see him go because he’s such a good natured guy. I like watching him on my tv.  

• Love 16
2 hours ago, chabelisaywow said:

The colored hair James Beard winner - I don't remember at all.

She (Karen) is one of my favorites, because I enjoyed her conduct on the show, and, while I haven't been back to Boston since she opened her own restaurant to try that, I ate several times at Myers+Chang, where she was executive chef for years, and loved the food.

I have quite a few I'm rooting for, though.  There are a couple of people I don't remember much about (their food or their conduct), but no one I'm rooting against.  That's nice -- there are probably going to be a lot of challenges where someone goes home for a great dish, that was simply the least great of the day.  Which, on one hand, is a hard way to go out, but, on the other, is the best way to go out.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

Am I the only one who thinks Brian Malarkey is fun?  I like him and enjoy what a character he is.  

So far I like him but I tend to like people who aren't outright bad but others find annoying.

• Love 4

There are a lot of chefs I am rooting for but my faves are Kevin and number one for me is Angelo. Love him, have since his first appearance, but based on this premiere, I don't have the best feeling. Ah well. Even if he doesn't go far (but I hope he does!), there are a lot of chefs I really, really like (aside from Kevin who is awesome), so this season looks to be great.

There are only a few I'm not all that high on so I hope they either (a) change my opinion or (b) don't win.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, wheresmypizza said:

I'm rooting for anyone but Jenn. I hated her on her season, and she hasn't changed. Entitled and obnoxious. I could never stand how everyone tongue-bathed her and talked about how "ballsy" she was (she did it herself last night). Ballsy and nasty are NOT synonymous.

Oh, and did you know she worked for Eric Ripert? *eyeroll*

This 100X. I never got her appeal. Three appearances is 2 too many. 

I've never been a fan of Angelo's either. There's just something about him that bugs. 

So happy Top Chef is back. No one I'm specifically rooting for, but definitely have those I'd like to go home sooner rather than later. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I was actually going to post that if you have the opportunity to watch last night's episode of Watch What Happens Live either online or On Demand, do it. It was a very enjoyable episode. Normally, I avoid WWHL, but this was a good one. It also includes a short preview clip from next week's episode featuring Melissa. You can access it online from this page:

https://www.bravotv.com/watch-what-happens-live/videos

Andy Cohen announced the next day that he had tested positive for COVID19. Does this mean that everyone was exposed during WWHL? (yikes!)

19 minutes ago, wlk68 said:

Andy Cohen announced the next day that he had tested positive for COVID19. Does this mean that everyone was exposed during WWHL? (yikes!)

If he infected my crush, sexiest chef Tom Colicchio, I’m going to be pissed.

• Love 3

I always thought the way they judge teams is so weird, because its so inconsistent.  Like sometimes they judge all the worst plates from all the teams.  Or sometimes they just pick the best team.  Or they pick the best 2 teams and pick the best from there.  It really sucks for Jen and Melissa since they had good dishes, but then their teammates screwed up bad.  Also, Jamie sounded like he didn't do all that great, but I guess it wasn't bad enough to sink his team, from getting the top spot?

I'm glad both Melissa and Stephanie were asked back.  I know most people forgot about them.  But both got screwed hard in their eliminations.

Stephanie especially.  At final 6 team challenge, Nick not only made the worst plate.  But Stephanie was pleading with Nick not to put up a certain component (that made his plate really bad).  And Nick essentially just said well I have immunity, so screw you.

Melissa got out at this stupid art challenge.  Where they had to create a dish that represent an artist's drawing.  Her competitors got easy drawings.  I remember one of the competitors, the artist pretty much drew and artwork that looked like chili.  Melissa on the other hand, got this weird artist, who painted that incredibly abstract picture.  It had like a ton of blue and pink (which was hard for Melissa, since there aren't many food items that have those colors).

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

It's going to be a fun season for me, because I don't  strongly dislike any of the cheftestants -- even Jenn 🤪. I need something relaxing in my life now!

I hope Lee Anne pulls it together. I just love her. Jamie I only kinda remember his face, but I don't remember a thing about him. If (as posted above) he was out at the midpoint of his season, I can see why. I was never a big Kevin fan, but he seems more relaxed this time, so that helps. Malarkey didn't bug me too much until about 3/4 of the way through the episode. Then, it was ...dang, ENOUGH. Love Stephanie and Melissa, too.

Who was it said in an annoucer-y voice "And the resurrected Jesus is your guest judge!" I cracked right up. That was a serious panel of judges, and they all had good attitudes. I have to say that the best meal I've had in my life was at Providence, Michael Cimarusti's restaurant.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, wlk68 said:

No, that episode was filmed at least 10 days ago. Andy's incubation period may have been on the short side. If not, then I suppose Padma might be at risk, as she was sitting closest to Andy.

eta: I just saw the aftershow, and at the very end, Andy coughs. He didn't do a great job covering up. All three of them should be self-quarantining now.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Useful 1

Who was it said in an annoucer-y voice "And the resurrected Jesus is your guest judge!"

Kevin Gillespie said it-guy was always an excellent chef, but his successes (and the fact he beat cancer) have given him a lot of nice confidence-not cocky, just confident. I hope he doesn't cross that line.

Stephanie Cmar - Seventh place, season 11 (12th person eliminated, leaving six remaining, but only eliminated because the person who would have been knifed had immunity [team challenge])

Lots of people seem to forget that she was actually eliminated before Season 10 (Seattle) even started-they did preliminary cuts in Season 10 (and also in Season 9) and literally handed out Chef Coats to those who got to move on! Shows some stones to come back after that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

One thing that bothered me in this episode. Fish and seafood are judged by how fresh they are. It seemed odd to me that they chose already filleted fish the day before they were going to serve it. It's fine for us to buy fish from the supermarket and serve it to our families. It's just that with all those high profile guest judges, I would think they would want the very freshest possible. I wonder if that fish was just for show and they were given fresher fish the next day, based on what they chose in the grab fest. 

Otherwise, I enjoyed seeing all of the chefs again, even if I can't remember them all. Still like Bryan. We ate in Volt a few years ago. it was good, but there were no chef sightings. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

It's fine for us to buy fish from the supermarket and serve it to our families. It's just that with all those high profile guest judges, I would think they would want the very freshest possible.

Good point; personally I only buy fish the day I cook it (partly because I don't know if the fish is *perfectly* fresh at the market when I buy it). And for the duration of this "thing," no fish for us as my go-to fish store opens later in the day and I'm doing all my grocery shopping at the crack of dawn.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, wlk68 said:

And does this mean that Andy's medical team was able to get their hands on a test ? hmmm..

Before I even realized I’d done it, I literally said, “Ugh!” out loud as soon as I saw Jen Carroll’s face. But that being said...I’m so happy the show is back!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, AriAu said:

Lots of people seem to forget that she was actually eliminated before Season 10 (Seattle) even started-they did preliminary cuts in Season 10 (and also in Season 9) and literally handed out Chef Coats to those who got to move on! Shows some stones to come back after that.

I HAD forgotten about that! Thanks for the reminder.

Stephanie is one of my favorites.

41 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I HAD forgotten about that! Thanks for the reminder.

Stephanie is one of my favorites.

She’s also Kristen Kish’s best friend. They watched the premiere over face time and IG’d it. It was very cute.

• Love 8
On 3/20/2020 at 7:38 AM, Angeleyes said:

The $250,000 prize money is going to particularly mean a lot to the winner this year given the current state of the restaurant industry. 

Given that these shows are filmed so far in advance of show dates, I'd guess the winner already received the money, invested it in the business and is now in danger of losing all...so sad, I hope the restaurant business can somehow survive these times. 

3 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Given that these shows are filmed so far in advance of show dates, I'd guess the winner already received the money, invested it in the business and is now in danger of losing all...so sad, I hope the restaurant business can somehow survive these times. 

Nope. All of these shows even shows like Jeopardy they do not receive anything until their episode or season airs. It’s one way for producers to make sure people don’t spoil shit. Some shows that have filmed but never aired for whatever reason people didn’t get their prizes because it’s part of the contract.

• Useful 7
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Nope. All of these shows even shows like Jeopardy they do not receive anything until their episode or season airs. It’s one way for producers to make sure people don’t spoil shit. Some shows that have filmed but never aired for whatever reason people didn’t get their prizes because it’s part of the contract.

Thanks for that info, that is good news, I hope the winner can salvage their restaurant/business with the winnings.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

No, that episode was filmed at least 10 days ago. Andy's incubation period may have been on the short side. If not, then I suppose Padma might be at risk, as she was sitting closest to Andy.

eta: I just saw the aftershow, and at the very end, Andy coughs. He didn't do a great job covering up. All three of them should be self-quarantining now.

Yikes, I think they all might be at risk as he didn't even get tested for a few days after not feeling well and isolating himself.  I read that he also saw Hillary Clinton around that time!

• Useful 1

Just also realized something. Really surprised Stephanie cooked shrimp in her challenge.  Because from I remember she was allergic to shellfish.  There was a challenge that they did in New Orleans, and Stephanie had to have some one stab her with an epipen, in what I believe was a shrimp challenge.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Yikes, I think they all might be at risk as he didn't even get tested for a few days after not feeling well and isolating himself.  I read that he also saw Hillary Clinton around that time!

I think the Hillary Clinton interview was safely before his two week incubation period.

On 3/20/2020 at 9:09 AM, NYCFree said:

On a different note, we once saw Jen Carroll cooking at Marcus Samuelson’s Red Rooster restaurant. She was just a regular chef, along with others. We only knew this because the kitchen is open and the chefs face the diners. This wasn’t mentioned at all last night and he was one of the judges. In the past they have mentioned when a contestant had a prior working relationship with a judge.

Maybe she was just a hired gun for a couple of days.  I haven't followed her professional career, but if she was in between things and Marcus needed a trusted hand she might have stepped in.  There would be no reason to mention that. 

My ears are shot but I thought I heard Malarkey mention "clam pie" in his vision of what Joe should cook?  I thought of white pizza from the Northeast which is sometimes deliciously soggy with oils and butter.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, seltzer3 said:

Just also realized something. Really surprised Stephanie cooked shrimp in her challenge.  Because from I remember she was allergic to shellfish.  There was a challenge that they did in New Orleans, and Stephanie had to have some one stab her with an epipen, in what I believe was a shrimp challenge.

She is allergic to shellfish and mentioned it on the show but she cooked with it more than once but I don’t remember her having to get an epi shot on camera. Googling didn’t have that info come up in any of the recaps or the interviews she did about the episodes on Eater Boston.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Lisa had a food truck on Governor’s Island in NYC a few years ago, imagine my surprise when I went up to order and saw her! She couldn’t have been nicer and the food was great. She definitely has that intense lesbian energy that isn’t exactly telegenic but she’s far from the villain her season made her out to be, I hope she’s able to get a Tiffani style redemption.

Tattoo Jamie is a different person from the pea purée guy, right?

I adore LeeAnne, she’s a great person to follow on Instagram and her baby is so cute! At this point she should really be a judge more than a contestant, she’s been on the company payroll!

Almost every elimination is going to hurt, isn’t it?

• Love 11
On 3/20/2020 at 8:52 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

There was a disconnect between how they served the food (family style) versus what the viewers saw (a single beautiful plate).   A lot of the comments the judges had about the dishes (runny sauces, soggy flatbread) related directly to problems that come from serving on a large platter. 

Also, Kevin Gillespie may not be the "Bacon Guy" but I'm pretty sure he was the "Pig Guy". 

Kevin definitely loves pork, but the guy can cook.  He came from very humble means and his decision to forego MIT to be a chef was really tough on his family, as I don’t think his family had any college graduates.   Las Vegas was a crazy talented group, but also had some assholes.  Kevin stood out as being especially kind.  Jen wasn’t bad in her original season, but was horrible in the first all-star season.  The Volt brothers weren’t nasty to anyone, just super confident.

Malarkey never bothered me in his season, but he was in a season in which the winner was spelled out early on.  I actually rooted for Malarkey, but Hung was never going to lose.  I ended up loving Hung when he got stuck with the cereal aisle for the grocery story challenge.  

I have a soft spot for Stache Joe as he was in Fatima’s season.  That group is very tight knit and supportive of each other .... and how they rallied to be with her near the end of her life was just very sweet.  I follow Joe on Instagram and hd is all about his pasta.  

Edited by AttackTurtle
  • Love 19
13 hours ago, TwopLurker said:

Tattoo Jamie is a different person from the pea purée guy, right?

Yes, pea puree guy was on a different season - Angelo and Kevin Sraga(?)'s season. 

• Useful 1