Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E12: Galaxy Brain

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, Terese said:

I liked Claire, as well. That she acted out, misplaced her loyalties and had attitude, are all directly related to her tragic and horrific childhood. 

I wish she had been in that episode, though. I don't feel a connection to Kaia, nor the connection to Kaia and Jody, nor Kaia and Claire, for that matter. It would have been better to see Jody and the guys with Claire. 

I have to say that I don't hate Claire as originally written.  As you said, she had a distinct character with bad attitude and misplaced loyalties, but understandable and even kind of sympathetic.

What I hated was what they did with her:  that is, made her into super-hunter, especially when she could make the stupidest rookie mistakes and still come out not only as hero, but badass with everyone bowing down to her superior skills and saying how wonderful she is.  We didn't get to see her grow into her abilities;  they were just handed to her by writers in too much of a rush to make her the star of WS.  (The same with her connection to Kaia:  we were *told,* not shown, and it felt fake and forced.)

If they'd let her be the screwed-up kid she really was, making mistakes and learning from them, she would have been much more interesting, to me at least.  I dislike people being given respect and rewards they haven't earned (yet), especially when it comes at the expense of those who really do deserve them.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

I have to say that I don't hate Claire as originally written.  As you said, she had a distinct character with bad attitude and misplaced loyalties, but understandable and even kind of sympathetic.

What I hated was what they did with her:  that is, made her into super-hunter, especially when she could make the stupidest rookie mistakes and still come out not only as hero, but badass with everyone bowing down to her superior skills and saying how wonderful she is.  We didn't get to see her grow into her abilities;  they were just handed to her by writers in too much of a rush to make her the star of WS.  (The same with her connection to Kaia:  we were *told,* not shown, and it felt fake and forced.)

If they'd let her be the screwed-up kid she really was, making mistakes and learning from them, she would have been much more interesting, to me at least.  I dislike people being given respect and rewards they haven't earned (yet), especially when it comes at the expense of those who really do deserve them.

Yes, that was the mistake. Another aspect is why do Sam and Dean have to appear as incompetent morons in need of rescuing whenever there is a tween girl around? I get female teenaged empowerment; but, seriously and as a woman myself, it is so over the top.

And yes, force-fed, particularly these last few seasons, is unbearable and insulting 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Terese said:

I liked Claire, as well. That she acted out, misplaced her loyalties and had attitude, are all directly related to her tragic and horrific childhood. 

I wish she had been in that episode, though. I don't feel a connection to Kaia, nor the connection to Kaia and Jody, nor Kaia and Claire, for that matter. It would have been better to see Jody and the guys with Claire. 

This. So much this.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ahrtee said:

This. Exactly. They took what could have been an interesting character, with room to grow into the hunting life organically and CW/Dabbified her. They ruined her in much the same way they ruined Mary and Charlie, continually telling us how badass  they are, making them uber-hunters without earning it, and most egregiously, propping them up at the expense of dumbing-down/weakening Dean and Sam. I don't care what world Kaia-Sue was from, her kicking Dean's ass so handily was ridiculous and winning against a freaking Arch Angel was beyond the pale.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4