Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Sharpie66

West Side Story (2020)

I didn’t see this topic already here, so if I am wrong, please delete this post! 

Vanity Fair has a first-look article at Spielberg’s new version of the classic musical, scheduled for release on December 18, 2020.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/03/a-first-look-at-steven-spielbergs-west-side-story?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=onsite-share&utm_brand=vanity-fair&utm_social-type=earned

• Useful 1

2 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I didn’t see this topic already here, so if I am wrong, please delete this post! 

Vanity Fair has a first-look article at Spielberg’s new version of the classic musical, scheduled for release on December 18, 2020.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/03/a-first-look-at-steven-spielbergs-west-side-story?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=onsite-share&utm_brand=vanity-fair&utm_social-type=earned

I hate this, why is he ruining a classic?

• Like 3

Spielberg:  You've gone too far.  You don't fuck with West Side Story.  I hope the remake crashes and burns.

• Like 1

I so agree with you all. How do you improve on a masterpiece? This is a remake that never should have been done. No offense to SS, but dude wtf?

14 hours ago, wingster55 said:

Maybe he wanted a less white-washed version. 

A less brown-face version, a version that plays out the old story with an awareness of our current sociopolitical environment, and it's been 60 years so why not have a new version that might resonate more with "today's youth". This story has been presented many times over the past six decades on stage and in film; this is just one more performance. Even in the sense of film, the original isn't going to disappear from all recorded media and memory; I think they can co-exist. It will be interesting to compare and contrast them, since our stories tend to reflect society at the time and place the story is told as much as when the story is set.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, MadLove said:

I so agree with you all. How do you improve on a masterpiece? This is a remake that never should have been done. No offense to SS, but dude wtf?

I would rather see a younger, browner filmmaker try their hand on this then Speilberg.  I will welcome a version where the actress cast as Maria actually does the singing.  What was it with 60s musicals and casting one actress to be the face of a character and Marni Nixon to do the voice?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Honestly, I didn't give a shit about Maria. 

It was Nardo.  😭

Just in case someone hasn't ever seen this movie, for some reason.

Spoiler

Bernardo está muerto! 😭😭😭

• Sad 1

Let me start by saying that West Side Story is my favorite musical and I think the 1961 film version is one of the few movie musicals that is just as good as the stage version. I have no problem with the desire remake the movie in order to cast actors that are closer to the race/ethnicity of the characters they play. That being said, based on what I have read and pictures that I have seen from the set, I have serious problems with this remake.

They are messing with the color scheme and I am not okay with that. The Jets are supposed to be in yellow and blue. The Sharks are supposed to be in red, pink and purple. Seeing Anita wearing a yellow dress in "America" messes with my head on a fundamental level.

Replacing Doc with a character played by Rita Moreno doesn't work for a whole host of reasons. I get that Rita Moreno is an amazing national treasure and they wanted to give her a part in this movie. The best way to do that is expand the role of Madam Lucia, the woman who owns the dress shop where Maria and Anita work. If you cut the character of Doc, you are removing one of the major ethnic groups of New York City. Doc is supposed to represent the Jews who started off a generation or two earlier with pushcarts and ended up with small stores. The Jets each represent another group of immigrants (Irish, Polish, Italian, and others).

Part of Tony's emotional journey is learning that the Puerto Ricans aren't this strange dehumanized foreign other, but instead are real people. If Tony and the other Jets grew up going to Doc's and seeing this new character there, the all of the hostility and  animosity towards the Sharks doesn't work and it didn't make sense.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

I saw the new trailer at the Oscars. I would be okay with a more muted color scheme. I am not okay with the fact that they have completely thrown out the iconic color scheme.

One of my friends and I came up with another way to include the multi-talented National Treasure that is Rita Moreno in this movie, without destroying the character of Doc. Create a new character that's a social worker and give that part to her. 

One of the many issues I have with this film is the casting of Ansel Elgort.  In real life he may be a perfectly amiable person, but on screen he has the kind of resting face I just want to smack the hell out of.  

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

The overhead shot of the two gangs' shadows intermingling is superb. Spielberg remains a master at visual storytelling.

Really interested to see what he brings to this, now that he's finally gotten the chance to make one of his childhood dream projects.

4 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I saw the new trailer at the Oscars. I would be okay with a more muted color scheme. I am not okay with the fact that they have completely thrown out the iconic color scheme.

I don't really see the point of having the new film look like the old film. The actress playing Anita looks fantastic in her new colours, for instance, and it immediately establishes the new version as distinctive.

• Like 3

Pros: the camerawork, blocking, design etc. are clearly exquisite.

Cons:  from that teaser, I still don't understand why this exists.  Especially as a period piece, when the original from that period exists.  It needs a reason to tread the same ground, and so I pray it's in the result itself.  Looking spectacular isn't enough.   As was said above... how do you improve on a masterpiece?  But furthermore... even if you "tie" it, there's still the question of why?  Why do it?

And now, thanks to the Pandemic, this is coming out the same year as Into The Heights.  Who's plot of course bears zero resemblance to this, but you just KNOW there will be certain people trolling about too many "Mexican" movies (the people who think all Hispanics are Mexican, and for whom Puerto Rico is either part of Mexico, or it's own foreign country robbing money at gunpoint from us).  Actually.  It might be funny to see those people spew about this.  I take back any concern.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kromm said:

Pros: the camerawork, blocking, design etc. are clearly exquisite.

Cons:  from that teaser, I still don't understand why this exists.  Especially as a period piece, when the original from that period exists.  It needs a reason to tread the same ground, and so I pray it's in the result itself.  Looking spectacular isn't enough.   As was said above... how do you improve on a masterpiece?  But furthermore... even if you "tie" it, there's still the question of why?  Why do it?

There are 2 reasons why I can see a remake--1. Natalie Wood was never a Latina. 2. Natalie Wood did not do her own singing, that was Marnie Nixon.  

• Like 3

Here's why I think this exists. The times now demand a story about a completely polarized society. The gangs are merely stand-ins for the warfare that grips America.

The original movie was only about "why can't these gangs get along like the rest of us in our New Frontier society which gets closer to perfection with every passing day?" The new movie will be about a lot more. If anything, it has more reason to exist than the first one.

Edited by Milburn Stone

The good news: It’s Romeo and Juliet on the streets of NY.

The bad news: It’s Romeo and Juliet on the streets of NY.

• Laugh 2

On 4/29/2021 at 12:15 PM, Kromm said:

Who's plot of course bears zero resemblance to this, but you just KNOW there will be certain people trolling about too many "Mexican" movies (the people who think all Hispanics are Mexican, and for whom Puerto Rico is either part of Mexico, or it's own foreign country robbing money at gunpoint from us).  Actually.  It might be funny to see those people spew about this.  I take back any concern.

The fact that during the Puerto Rico hurricanes in 2018 or 2019 that people didn't realize that Puerto Rico is an American territory and therefore our responsibility was both sad and hilarious at the same time.

• Sad 1