Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: The Tale Of Three Arraignments

Airing on March 16, 2020:

Lola and Mark find themselves in trouble for pushing their bosses too hard in their pursuit of justice and fair play. As punishment, Lola is assigned to arraignment court for the week, while Mark is bumped down to the Charge Evaluation Unit. Also, their best friend from law school, powerhouse attorney Rachel Audubon (Ryan Michelle Bathe), is there to witness it all.

Emily just breaks my heart. Jessica Camacho does such a good job with her vulnerability and insecurities. I also adore Luke.🥰 I like that he doesn’t just go along to get along, he’s honest about what he’s feeling and wants to work through what he feels are issues in his relationship with Emily, and he really listens to (and hears) what Emily is feeling also. I just love their relationship and I hope they last.

I actually really enjoy the entire cast, the only one I haven’t really warmed up to is Sara, and I don’t dislike her, I just like her a little less then the others, 😝 

Edited by Izzy85
  • Love 9

Another strong episode. I agree, it is so easy to love all of these actors and their characters.

One nit to pick - Lola JUST became a judge. There's no way that they'd be running her for attorney general this quickly. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Another strong episode. I agree, it is so easy to love all of these actors and their characters.

One nit to pick - Lola JUST became a judge. There's no way that they'd be running her for attorney general this quickly. 

But she has had some high profile cases.. And as a Candidate she's solid.. A great career as a prosecutor... So a good debater... Obviously not perfect.. But a charismatic young black woman judge who's tough on criminals bit still seen as someone willing to give ppl a chance and a known fighter for social justice... She'd get my vote 

• Love 4

Does anyone think Lola pulling strings to get the human trafficking case put into her court is going to come around and bite her in the end?  Sure, it was the right thing to do, because of the delicate nature of the web of plea deals it took to get the head guy, but she also did it at the suggestion of and as a favor to, her friend.  I also hope the friend is on the up and up, but.........  There's something subtly shady about her that I just can't put my finger on.  I think there's going to be a big dramatic falling out.

And OMG, the emphasis on coffee on this show....  Are they sponsored by Juan Valdez?

• LOL 3
  • Love 12

I do think it feels too soon but on the other hand, there's a trend of not waiting too long either.

This was probably my favorite episode of the series and if it keeps improving along these lines, it'll turn into a show that I want to like more than I do into a show that I genuinely look forward to.

I appreciated the mystery around why Benner's campaign manager (or whatever he was) kept approaching Lola.  I also liked the little twist of Mark knowing about Robin's interview before Lola.  I wonder if there's something there.

15 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Does anyone think Lola pulling strings to get the human trafficking case put into her court is going to come around and bite her in the end?  Sure, it was the right thing to do, because of the delicate nature of the web of plea deals it took to get the head guy, but she also did it at the suggestion of and as a favor to, her friend.  I also hope the friend is on the up and up, but.........  There's something subtly shady about her that I just can't put my finger on. 

I agree on both of those points.  Inherently, since both prosecutor and defense wanted Lola, I can't foresee a problem but I can't think what they did is proper ethics.  I can see it coming back to haunt Lola.

• Love 2

The opening scene between Emily and Luke was sexy as hell.

16 hours ago, Izzy85 said:

Emily just breaks my heart. Jessica Camacho does such a good job with her vulnerability and insecurities. I also adore Luke.🥰 I like that he doesn’t just go along to get along, he’s honest about what he’s feeling and wants to work through what he feels are issues in his relationship with Emily, and he really listens to (and hears) what Emily is feeling also. I just love their relationship and I hope they last.

I loved the scene at the end. I loved that she really laid out what she was feeling and he sat there and just listened and came up with a solution. He's so mature!

I loved that Lola told Sanders "it is WAY too late to be calling." I like when she is authoritative. I also love her relationship with her staff.

Lola's friend Rachel is played by Ryan Michelle Bathe, who is married to Sterling K. Brown. I almost didn't recognize her with that hair - she usually wears her natural hair.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Does anyone think Lola pulling strings to get the human trafficking case put into her court is going to come around and bite her in the end?  Sure, it was the right thing to do, because of the delicate nature of the web of plea deals it took to get the head guy, but she also did it at the suggestion of and as a favor to, her friend.  I also hope the friend is on the up and up, but.........  There's something subtly shady about her that I just can't put my finger on.  I think there's going to be a big dramatic falling out.

And OMG, the emphasis on coffee on this show....  Are they sponsored by Juan Valdez?

I was just thinking about that and came here to make that exact point, so, well, yeah, I agree. It seems so odd of Lola to ask her boss to do a favor for her and let her be named the judge on a case involving HER VERY CLOSE FRIEND as attorney. How does that not seem super shady?

As for the friend, I think they just want to throw in someone who is less obviously pure like Mark and Lola. They're great, of course, but they're SO virtuous that it might be nice to see someone as smart as them have a little more grey in them to play off of Mark and Lola. 

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, possibilities said:

So Amy is working with the friend, and Mark is staying with the DA's office. Hmmmmn....

Gonna be tough for him to walk Into that office.. Cuz he obviously had/has a thing for Ms. Audobon... 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Lola's friend Rachel is played by Ryan Michelle Bathe, who is married to Sterling K. Brown. I almost didn't recognize her with that hair - she usually wears her natural hair.

It took me a minute but I finally said that’s Randall’s wife. The hair definitely through me and I wish she could have worn her natural hair. I hope we see Rachel again and am I the only one who thought there was something between her and Mark when he took her home?

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, GodsBeloved said:

I hope we see Rachel again and am I the only one who thought there was something between her and Mark when he took her home?

Nope. I was getting vibes from things they said all night.  Not necessarily that there's something current there but that they definitely had something in the past.

• Love 8
47 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Nope. I was getting vibes from things they said all night.  Not necessarily that there's something current there but that they definitely had something in the past.

Yep, they were giving me vibes too.

• Love 1
On 3/16/2020 at 11:16 PM, Izzy85 said:

I actually really enjoy the entire cast, the only one I haven’t really warmed up to is Sara, and I don’t dislike her, I just like her a little less then the others, 😝 

Same, Izzy, same. To me, Sara is a bit too "bull in a china shop" for me if that makes any sense. She feels a bit cartoonish. 

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this episode, and I hope we see more of Ms. Audobon. I have a feeling there's more going on than she has let on to her friends.

Is the actress portraying Sherry pregnant? Just seems her clothes are "blousy" and there seems to be some strange blocking...

Loved Lola's hair in this one.

Is it a coincidence that Lola's husband and the guy that wants her to run for AG look so much alike?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, jah1986 said:

Is the actress portraying Sherry pregnant? Just seems her clothes are "blousy" and there seems to be some strange blocking...

I would be so happy for her if that is the case, after all the tragedy that she's seen in her personal life.

• Love 6

I was a little surprised at the size of their house, unless it was just strategically filmed.  He's FBI and she was in the prosecutor's office and now a judge, neither of them I would think would be all that high paying?

• Love 2
On 3/19/2020 at 4:40 PM, incandescent said:

I would be so happy for her if that is the case, after all the tragedy that she's seen in her personal life.

She is - just posted it in the media thread.

• Love 3

Luke is just the sweetest, most mature person, I freaking love him. I mean, I really like all of the characters, but Luke is really the best boyfriend a person could hope for. His talk with Emily about saying I Love You was so real and honest on both of their parts, its nice to see people on TV actually talking to each other and being honest, without a lot of pointless drama and letting problems simmer away. 

I like Rachel, but I think that she definitely might be a little...maybe not sketchy, but at least more morally grey than Lola and Mark are. Not that she doesent want to help people, but that she is a bit more alright being a bit more unscrupulous than Lola and Mark when it comes to her goals. Plus, as she said, a girls gotta eat. I think she could be an interesting foil to Mark and Lola's full commitment to the law and to doing whats right. I am also glad to see that I am not the only one who caught a vibe between her and Mark. Did they have a thing in the past at school together? We also confirmation as to what I thought, that Lola and Mark met in law school!  

Interesting that Lola's husband and the political guy kind of look alike. Coincidence? They also seemed to be giving each other a pretty long look when they met in her office. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Interesting that Lola's husband and the political guy kind of look alike. Coincidence? They also seemed to be giving each other a pretty long look when they met in her office. 

Well the political dude was sniffing around Lola when the husband popped up... Granted it seems its just to ask her to run.. Tho he may have also been trying to charm her... So the husband.. Who is already away alot decided to... For lack of a better term... Mark his territory

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

LA County Superior Court Judge - $221,000/yr

FBI Special Agent - $63,000-$170,000/yr.

At least according to Google, only the top earning Judges are getting salaries in the 220 range.  Besides, Lola has only been a Judge a few months.  I did take a look at the real estate prices for Baldwin Hills, and she and her husband's home, with its views, would likely be a multi-million dollar home. 

Mind you, I know it's a fictional show and it's fairly normal that characters often live well above their means.  That's why Lola gets to wear a lot of fabulous clothes that could easily put her clothing allowance into the thousands of dollars each month. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

At least according to Google, only the top earning Judges are getting salaries in the 220 range.  Besides, Lola has only been a Judge a few months.  I did take a look at the real estate prices for Baldwin Hills, and she and her husband's home, with its views, would likely be a multi-million dollar home. 

Mind you, I know it's a fictional show and it's fairly normal that characters often live well above their means.  That's why Lola gets to wear a lot of fabulous clothes that could easily put her clothing allowance into the thousands of dollars each month. 

Exactly, and Mark (who has her old job) is living in a one-bedroom someplace, and the other characters are roommates.

• Love 3
(edited)

I like the way the opposing council aren’t always black and white evil the way they often are in the likes of SVU. I thought Maggie was going to be incredibly unhelpful but happy to see her act reasonably. 

I get the impression there’s a history between Mark and Rachel or at the very least he was definetly at some point in love with her.

This was my favourite episode of the season so far. I nominated it in the Primetimers. 

Edited by Avabelle
  • Useful 1