Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Giant Misfit

COVID-19: This Topic Requires No Social Distancing

4 hours ago, bosawks said:

I would like a sign that indicates that I'm not working from home and that's why my lawn still looks like crap.

My gardener actually showed up yesterday, & I was very surprised. And since everybody else's lawns all look good too, I guess their gardeners are still showing up too. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

23 minutes ago, GaT said:

My gardener actually showed up yesterday, & I was very surprised. And since everybody else's lawns all look good too, I guess their gardeners are still showing up too. 

I think I saw some gardeners out yesterday near some expensive homes/estates, but I'm not sure.
The grass is sprouting, but we just had snow too.
I'm in Illinois, and it doesn't seem that lawn care people should be working according to the latest edict from our government (www2.illinois.gov/Pages/news-item.aspx?ReleaseID=21288) but until they start leaf blowing outside my window, I won't think about it too much, and if/when they do, as a tenant with low rent, there's not anything I can do beyond stuff toilet paper in the gaps around the windows. 
Yes. I said "toilet paper," because I'm going to run out of Kleenex soon. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 11:01 PM, Annber03 said:

Wow. I mean, I'm not all that experienced a cook either or anything (partly because my family's lived in a lot of places that haven't had all that great of kitchen space to do much cooking), and my family eats out probably more often than we should. But if I need to learn how to cook something, I'll do it. Get the necessary ingredients and the recipe and it shouldn't be too hard.

It's getting the necessary ingredients that will be the tough part.  I almost never cook, but there are a few things that I make that I like.  And when I want to make them, I have to go buy the ingredients because since I don't cook, I don't keep things on hand.  And I can't buy them now because they're not on the shelves.  Not a grain of rice or flour, not an ounce of pasta.  Thanks, fellow humans.

It reminds me of self-serve restaurants, where if everybody would just wait to take a table until they've placed their order, the system would probably work.  But there are always people who put one of their party at a table to save it, while the others stand in line.  What makes them think they "deserve" that table more than the people who arrived before them?

What gets me is that we live in an RV traveling around, and obviously I couldn't stock up on massive amounts of food/supplies even if I wanted to.  But I looked through the pantry and freezer and realized that we could live for at least a couple of weeks on what we already have on hand, without buying for the pandemic.  It might mean a box of macaroni and cheese for a meal, but so what.

The only thing I "stocked up" on was a Chipotle burrito.  We always split one, and I got two, one of them without lettuce to put in the freezer.  It won't be perfect when defrosted and reheated, but it'll be fine, and I didn't deprive anyone else of something they might need.

For the time being, we're eating out pretty much every day, which is what we usually do anyway (one meal out, and maybe a little something else).  By "out," I mean take-out, obviously, but I figure we'll keep this up and wait to raid the freezer and pantry for if/when they close the take-out places. 

On 3/16/2020 at 7:00 PM, ParadoxLost said:

Procrastination has kind of bitten me in the ass.

My mechanic wanted $800 to fix my driver side window (it doesn't go down).  My brother was going to fix it for $15 if I just bought the part.

Welp.  Now I'm giving up fast food since everything has gone drive thru only.

Our car is a BMW, so I have a lot of experience navigating drive-throughs without a working driver's side window.  When the window has decided not to work, I just pull forward enough that I can crack open the door to talk or to do the transaction.  And our car is low to the ground, compounding the difficulty.  But it can be done.

It's embarrassing, but hey.

On 3/19/2020 at 1:47 PM, tiftgirl said:

I thought about asking someone that likes to keep on on all the details if they could just update me on the most urgent news, but, that seems intrusive and woosy to ask of someone. 

I've been doing that for several years now.  I'll intermittently dip into current events, but basically, Mr. Outlier has the responsibility to tell me when there's something I need to know.  It actually feels somewhat infantilizing but it's not my fault the world is such a shitty place, so full of shitty people that I can't bear to know about it.  And he's fine with doing it, because he knows I'm happier not being fully informed.

Actually, it started with the 2000 election, when I managed not to know the results for three days, until we were flying to New York City and it was going to be impossible to avoid seeing headlines.  But that showed me that I could do it, and that I was happier when I did.  (And it actually started before that, when I stopped watching the local city council meetings, but that could be just cold turkey, since nothing that happened there was that important, anyway.)

I've done my news blackout to varying degrees since then.  Fortunately, I have a lot of impulse control, so I can watch the local news to see where murders are happening and whatnot, but quickly change the channel when I can tell one of the no-fly stories is starting.

Also, needless to say, I'm not on any social media.  😀

That said, I am keeping somewhat abreast of the news these days, but again--no social media, period.  And so far, I'm not riddled with anxiety.  Mainly, all I'm getting is confirmation of my opinion of people, which is no fun, but it is what it is.

Fortunately, we have an RV site where we can stay for the next several weeks unless something big changes, while others who fulltime in their RVs are getting kicked out as campgrounds close, and they're scrambling to find a place just to be.  As usual, we're a forgotten population, who can't just "go home."  The good news is that the Canadian snowbirds all hot-footed it home, so they've left open spaces behind.  But that's only in areas where they spend the winter, while campgrounds are closing all over the country.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

On topic:  We did a grocery pickup yesterday (bought online, items brought out to the car), and sanitizing everything took the whole rest of the day once we got home.  It's like suddenly having two full-time jobs dealing with this crap.  But we're still grateful.

I was taking some comfort on my half-assed cleaning off of solid packaging of perishables with bleach wipes before bringing it into the house after I saw the study relating to how long the coronavirus survives on various surfaces (ranging from hours to a few days depending on materials), which made me think that if I just left the non-perishable  groceries alone long enough in my garage, it would be okay.

But then I saw the headlines for the story about how they found active virus on surfaces in one of the contaminated cruise ships something like 17 days later (ship had not been cleaned/ decontaminated yet), and I was like oh crap, they are going to make me really clean things despite my best efforts to be lazy.

3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I think I'm starting to lose my mind. Last night I dreamed about an "underground" beauty salon set up like a Prohibition-era speakeasy. I go there to get my nails done but get arrested for breaking stay-at-home laws before my manicure is finished. Only the nails on one hand have been painted and I'm trying not to mess up that hand as I'm getting handcuffed because the polish is still drying. All the terrible things that are happening and are about to happen, and *this* is what I dream about?!?!?

Speaking of health and beauty AND priorities, I started getting gray hair when I was in my late 20s.  Now, I don’t dress to the nines, and I use drug store makeup, nothing fancy, but my one vanity is going to the salon to get my roots done (because I’m just not good with anything hair related).  I started to spin out last night before bed thinking that I most certainly will not be able to get to the salon before I start to show gray, and then I was like, “You could *die* if you get this highly contagious disease, so priorities.  And then I had insomnia yet again, lol.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

Speaking of health and beauty AND priorities, I started getting gray hair when I was in my late 20s.  Now, I don’t dress to the nines, and I use drug store makeup, nothing fancy, but my one vanity is going to the salon to get my roots done (because I’m just not good with anything hair related).  I started to spin out last night before bed thinking that I most certainly will not be able to get to the salon before I start to show gray, and then I was like, “You could *die* if you get this highly contagious disease, so priorities.  And then I had insomnia yet again, lol.

My hair is also overdue to be colored(I had it done in January and was planning on having it done in March) at least no one has to see me like this.  My hair that’s not gray is dark and looks like crap if I color it myself.  I’m just focusing on the fact that I’m saving money by not having my hair done for awhile.   If it goes on long I’ll break down and order a bottle of hair dye.    I’m grateful to be in a state with mandatory lockdown.  

• Like 3

Try color-depositing shampoos and conditioners. They are WAY easier to use than home-dying kits, and the dye in them will wash out eventually, so you can get ready to get your hair colored professionally again when/if this ever ends. One brand I know of is Overtone, but there are others.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

For those of you who want to cook but don't have the ingredients (and I feel your pain) I happened to see a link to this site, in which you can find recipes according to the ingredients you check off:

https://www.supercook.com/#/recipes

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, Peace 47 said:

This was one of my thoughts, too. I dyed my hair early last week, and wanted to get some more to use on my birthday (now three weeks away). Dad laughed, but I wanted to feel good on my birthday, at least somewhat. Then I felt silly, because people are dying. I don't dress up, am desperately in need of new clothes, don't do my nails, etc. (not that I fault anyone for that: I wish I could afford to).

Last night, I asked my dad if we could ship a few rolls of toilet paper to a friend in California. She's being really careful with her last roll, and has been using napkins too. Dad just came home from work, and presented me with a box to ship them in. (We have sixteen rolls, one four-pack, and a twelve-pack). She had a pack on their way to her, from Costco, when this started, but the package stopped tracking, and disappeared.

I don't know if I should hold onto the rest, or ask people on Next-door if they could use a roll. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 4

All these poor souls going stir crazy at having to stay home, while I'm sitting here doing my usual, "Nah, I don't feel like it today; maybe tomorrow" about the groceries I need to get.  Home alone (well, with my cat) is my preferred state of being, I've worked from home for years, and I can happily go quite a while without leaving the house, so this is not bothering me  (in terms of my daily routine, I mean - of course what's going on in the world bothers me!).

I do miss walking with my friend (it was too ridiculous to try to talk over my shoulder to her six feet behind me since there isn't room to walk side by side six feet apart), but we're talking on the phone.  Same with my norm of having dinner with my parents once every week or two - we talk on the phone, and we'll get back to it when this is over.  With everyone else, these are people I routinely only see once a month or so.

Plus, last time I saw my parents they'd given me an old Amazon Fire stick they don't use.  I forgot about it until today; I just hooked that up to my bedroom TV and put in their Netflix account info, and voila, now I have Netflix at home, instead of only watching when I'm kitty sitting at their house.  Instead of falling asleep to DVDs I've watched numerous times, now I'll work my way through my Netflix list each night. 

• Like 15

Why are some people such assholes

‘Who’s afraid of coronavirus?’ Missouri man charged with licking deodorant at Walmart

“A local resident who took a video of themselves licking the merchandise after making a ‘coronavirus’ statement at Walmart and posting it to social media has been taken into custody,” the Warrenton Police Department said Monday in a statement. “Charges will be pending through the Warren County Prosecuting Attorney's Office.”

Court records show Pfister was ultimately charged with second-degree terroristic threat, a felony.

I hope he thinks about what a great idea that 7 second viral video was the whole time he's sitting in a federal jail. 

• Like 3
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 6

@GaT, I gave your post a sad not because I'm sad about the fate of that idiot asshole, but because I'm sad that there exist such idiot assholes in the world.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

@GaT, I gave your post a sad not because I'm sad about the fate of that idiot asshole, but because I'm sad that there exist such idiot assholes in the world.

I understood 🙂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GaT said:

Why are some people such assholes

‘Who’s afraid of coronavirus?’ Missouri man charged with licking deodorant at Walmart

I hope he thinks about what a great idea that 7 second viral video was the whole time he's sitting in a federal jail. 

Why on earth?! Shame on him and everyone else who's behaving like this. It's not funny. It is cruel, gross, and dangerous. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, GaT said:

From that article:

[Dumbass who licked the deodorant] was not the only person charged Tuesday with a terroristic threat related to the coronavirus.

George Falcone, 50, of Freehold, New Jersey, was charged Monday with terroristic threats, harassment and obstructing the administration of law or other governmental function after he allegedly coughed on an employee at a Wegmans in Manalapan and told her he had the virus.

Earlier this month, a Wisconsin woman licked the door handle of a grocery store freezer “in protest” of the coronavirus, according to Newsweek.

“While sanitizing handles in the freezer section, store manager Marty reported looking over at a woman who proceeded to look at him and lick the door handle of a freezer door,” a police report obtained by the news magazine said.

The unidentified 53-year-old Marshfield woman was issued a no trespassing order.

• Sad 5

My husband I did curbside pickup the other night for the first time in about two weeks.  We were ready for some good food, and thought it was a good way to support a local restaurant.  The next day someone on FB was ranting about people doing takeout and potentially picking up germs that could be spread. I felt really bad.  I since learned about wiping down containers and transferring to our own dishes.  (Admit I did not do that.)

What are your thoughts on takeout?  Helping out businesses or potentially contributing to virus spread?

Not directed at you, @StatisticalOutlier, but your post reminded me.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

Or maybe if it goes on long enough, your gray hair will be more than just the roots and you'll discover that it looks fabulous. 

10 minutes ago, roseha said:

For those of you who want to cook but don't have the ingredients (and I feel your pain) I happened to see a link to this site, in which you can find recipes according to the ingredients you check off:

Hmm...it says I can make Lucky Charms treats (even though I don't have any Lucky Charms or marshmallows).  A dozen recipes for simple syrup, as well as hummingbird feeder nectar. Dog ear cleaner, and a slew of other cleaning products.  Home-made sweetened condensed milk, even though sweetened condensed milk is on my list.  Sugar Free Snow Cones (it says "It uses your: sugar").  I had to check that one out.  It doesn't actually use my sugar, and the recipe calls for "sugar free jelly belly snow cone syrup," which definitely is not on my list.

Nice thought, though, @roseha.  Too bad the people who actually make money on the site aren't as thoughtful about the results they present.  I do get tired of things that are just computer-generated aggregations.

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

All these poor souls going stir crazy at having to stay home, while I'm sitting here doing my usual, "Nah, I don't feel like it today; maybe tomorrow" about the groceries I need to get.  Home alone (well, with my cat) is my preferred state of being, I've worked from home for years, and I can happily go quite a while without leaving the house, so this is not bothering me  (in terms of my daily routine, I mean - of course what's going on in the world bothers me!).

Me too.  It's as if I've been in training for a pandemic for a decade now.  I'm not home alone because of Mr. Outlier, but I spent many years solo before that and know that it's definitely not a problem.  Might even be a feature.  😀 

3 minutes ago, GaT said:

Fortunately, he's apparently being charged under state law, not federal.  So he won't be sitting in the relative luxury of incarceration in a federal facility.

According to a different story, court documents say it happened on March 11, but his lawyer Coyne says it was on March 10, the day before the WHO declared COVID-19 a pandemic. 

"Public conduct that was immature on March 10 looks completely differently through the lens of today," Coyne said. "Everything has changed at warp speed, but that should not work retroactively and convert a tasteless and impulsive act into a criminal terrorist threat."

Makes me glad I never had to practice criminal law.

Also, before everybody goes out and buys gift cards for people who are out of work, take a look at the bill Congress is considering.  It not only extends the length of unemployment benefit and expands who can qualify for unemployment benefits, but it adds an additional $600/week to a person's benefit for four months.  That means the lowest-paid workers will actually be making more money after being laid off than when they were working, which I believe is unprecedented--all my previous experience with unemployment benefits (including a short stint as a hearings officer at the state unemployment commission) is that unemployment compensation didn't even match one's salary, much less exceed it.  From what I can tell, this will be in addition to the $1200 per person payment.

Just the $600/week for the Uber driver is a huge bonus, considering that he normally he wouldn't even qualify for unemployment benefits at all, and the money won't be reduced by paying for gas or depreciation on their car.  Personally, I wouldn't mind if Uber were made to reimburse the Treasury for it; they don't contribute to the Unemployment Compensation program on behalf of their "contractors."

I'm not saying laid-off people are going to be rich, but this particular group is being taken care of more than if they'd been laid off in regular times. 

Plus it's a sticking point in the bill, so it might not actually happen, but it's something to keep in mind.

https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/CARES Act Section-by-Section (Tax, Unemployment Insurance).pdf

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I saw a story about a guy who was doing a "Coronavirus challenge" that involved licking toilets. Shocker of shockers, he's now tested positive for the virus. Some people are just begging to be part of the Darwin Awards. 

The saddest part is that all the assholes in the stories mentioned above are well old enough to know better, too! These are grown adults doing this. These sorts of people are the reason we won't be able to get past this virus more quickly, because apparently being obnoxious is more important than behaving like mature, responsible human beings. 

Fucking morons. I'm glad they're getting slapped with the serious charge of terroristic threats. Just the cold hard dose of reality they deserve. 

• Like 11
  • Surprise 1

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Same here.
I think when you live alone, and if you have ever lived "out" (10 or miles from a store) you have a bag of flour in the back of your fridge --especially if you live where it snows or floods.
But if the power goes out I may be kind of screwed, food-wise.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Some people are just begging to be part of the Darwin Awards.

The worst part is that under normal circumstances their behavior would just be hurting themselves, but now they're a "terrorist threat" endangering other people. Which probably "motivates" them even more.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Actually, it started with the 2000 election, when I managed not to know the results for three days

Before I tell this let me say, I am fine now and my depression has been in remission for years (I don't think it goes away or you get cured for some of us) so feel free to laugh or roll your eyes at me - I think it is funny now.

Around the 2000 election is when my depression was the worst it ever was.  I had been crying nonstop for 3 days and my counselor said to go to the E.R that this was chemical and there were meds in an injectable form that would help they could give me.  So, they are doing the mental health evaluation - what year is it, where are you, etc.  Then she asked you the president was.

Que hysterical rambling - "I think it's Bush, but, I don't know.  They keep fighting and they recounted and it was Bush but they are recounting again - I don't know  - I have other things going on" and just copious tears because I just knew I was going to be put in the locked ward or something.

The nurse, bless her, said, "Well, that's just fine.  I think you have a better handle on it than some of us"

• Like 8
  • Laugh 4
  • Surprise 1

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I told my friend earlier tonight that I feel very lucky, because really, my daily routine has not changed at all.  I have worked from home for about 11 years, and as he said "Social isolation is your default".

The only thing I was concerned about is, because I misunderstood what it meant, was that if we get a stay at home order here, I thought it meant you basically couldn't leave at all.  And with my anxiety I have to make myself go out ever other day or 3 days at the most and I was really afraid that if that happened I would go into full blown agoraphobia.  I now know I misunderstood and you can go out for necessity reasons as long as you plan and are smart about it. 

@Anela how kind you are!  I mean that sincerely.  Your friend is lucky to have such a thoughtful one in you, and your neighbors too.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Thumper said:

My husband I did curbside pickup the other night for the first time in about two weeks.  We were ready for some good food, and thought it was a good way to support a local restaurant.  The next day someone on FB was ranting about people doing takeout and potentially picking up germs that could be spread. I felt really bad.  I since learned about wiping down containers and transferring to our own dishes.  (Admit I did not do that.)

What are your thoughts on takeout?  Helping out businesses or potentially contributing to virus spread?

Not directed at you, @StatisticalOutlier, but your post reminded me.

I have a friend who got take-out a few times. She wants to help out their local places, whilst she can. I can't afford to do it often, but I think it's okay. Otherwise the governors would be shutting them down completely.

36 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I saw a story about a guy who was doing a "Coronavirus challenge" that involved licking toilets. Shocker of shockers, he's now tested positive for the virus. Some people are just begging to be part of the Darwin Awards. 

The saddest part is that all the assholes in the stories mentioned above are well old enough to know better, too! These are grown adults doing this. These sorts of people are the reason we won't be able to get past this virus more quickly, because apparently being obnoxious is more important than behaving like mature, responsible human beings. 

Fucking morons. I'm glad they're getting slapped with the serious charge of terroristic threats. Just the cold hard dose of reality they deserve. 

Ugh. Well, these idiots are doing their part to keep *me* at home. 

17 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Same here.
I think when you live alone, and if you have ever lived "out" (10 or miles from a store) you have a bag of flour in the back of your fridge --especially if you live where it snows or floods.

I'm pretty isolated, and used to being here at home, most of the time, so I always need to make sure I have certain things in the house. My dad asked me why I had two large bottles of water, the other night. He's out making deliveries, he can drive, and pick up anything he needs (as long as the store has it now). I'm stuck at home, and can't do anything if the power goes out. So I now have some water for me and the animals, just in case. Just a few large bottles. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

image.png.094b9ffebb9b08d650b442f0fa48f635.png

Actually, ya know this could work. 
(when the TP is all gone —dragging our butts across the snow) 

(—and maybe relocating to the Finger Lakes NY area could work after all)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Laugh 3

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

We've gotten takeout (& might again tonight), & what happened is that one person opened all the containers, dumped the food on our plates, threw away the containers, then did the whole 20 second hand wash thing. I have no idea if it was necessary or effective. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I had to dip into my "if the power goes out I'm kind of screwed" food today.  Thankfully, it wasn't the refrigerator.  But the range died last night in spectacular fashion.

I just didn't have the energy to figure out how to use the rest of the stuff in my kitchen to substitute for the oven and stove top.  

So I think I've got a new one coming Sunday.  Not entirely sure about that.  We shall see.  The in the middle of the coronavirus ordering process was not fun.  If it doesn't come on Sunday then I'm going to have to go all MacGyver on my kitchen appliances.

I was planning to go to the grocery store this weekend to restock after two weeks of isolation.  But my Mom has started answering the phone with "I wish you wouldn't go to the store".  So I'm not going to the store.  Tried for pick up and nothing is available over the weekend and they only release new times at midnight. 

Managed to get a delivery date.  Its pretty late at night, so I'm not entirely thrilled with those of you that just educated me that I'm supposed to be sanitizing the groceries when they come.  I don't even like putting groceries away.  Now I'm supposed to clean them before I put them away.  Ugh.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

At least in the US, all orders I've seen have been pretty big on takeout. I don't know if it's their attempt of securing small restaurants or if they really do feel the risk is minimal.

I did take and bake a week ago.  It's a local shop so I wanted to support them and I was craving pizza. I took the plastic wrap off in the car, carried the pizza tray up and basically put it right in the oven to cook off any germs.  I might consider other food but I suspect take and bake pizza is pretty much my limit.  They only allow one customer in the shop at a time which I thought was good but I wish I could pre-pay and not sign anything.  I was wearing gloves and washed them right away when I got home.

• Like 4

wrong thread, sorry.

Edited by ams1001 · Reason: oops

Ohhh.  I didn’t think about sanitizing everything I get from the grocery store. Yikes.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Managed to get a delivery date.  Its pretty late at night, so I'm not entirely thrilled with those of you that just educated me that I'm supposed to be sanitizing the groceries when they come.  I don't even like putting groceries away.  Now I'm supposed to clean them before I put them away.  Ugh.

5 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Ohhh.  I didn’t think about sanitizing everything I get from the grocery store. Yikes.

What we've been doing is pulling anything that needs to be refrigerated or frozen away, & then leaving out the bags with the other groceries in them standing on the floor in the kitchen for 4 or 5 days. Any virus should be gone by then, but seeing all the bags (the boxes from the mail sit on the floor in the living room 😀) is driving me crazy. I just want to put things away & stop feeling like I live in a warehouse.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

31 minutes ago, GaT said:

What we've been doing is pulling anything that needs to be refrigerated or frozen away, & then leaving out the bags with the other groceries in them standing on the floor in the kitchen for 4 or 5 days. Any virus should be gone by then

My understanding is this is not necessarily true? They found active virus on that cruise ship 17 days after everyone had been removed from it. That said, I'm not up to speed on its lifespan on cardboard/plastic so possibly it doesn't live as long on food containers.

• Like 2

The CDC.gov site doesn't give any info or recommendations regarding what to do (if anything) with food after purchasing it.

Is no news (or guidance from the CDC) good news??? (I too have read the moving window of scientific results regarding the viability of the virus on cardboard, etc.)

What's a shapeshifter to do? 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

I want to split the difference between limiting my exposure to people and helping local restaurants stay afloat during this extended period they cannot have dine-in customers (which is going to decimate the industry and toss a whole lot of low-wage earners out of work), so I'm picking two per week to order delivery from and cooking the rest of the time - when I normally order in once or twice a month and go out to dinner maybe once a month, cooking the rest of the time. 

Which means I'm going to have to beef up my weekly exercise routine, when I already moan and groan and roll my eyes at the one I have.  Small price to pay, I know, but I am not one of those "I get into the zone" people about exercise - I do it because I have to. 

At least this is another way in which I'm not having to adjust to a new routine, now that gyms are shut down, by walking around the neighborhood, doing weights at home, and following along with exercise DVDs -- I hated gyms to begin with, so that's been my MO for quite some time.  But of course I feel for those employees, too.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7

I signed up for free access to Covid-19 info from the Washington Post because a relative was sending me links to articles to read.
So then I got an email from WaPo asking if I had any Covid-19 related questions that they might consider covering in a future article.
Like y'all, I have a lot of practice asking questions on the PrimeTimer boards (LOL) so I sent this:

What are best practices to prevent further spread of the Covid-19 virus when purchasing and preparing food?
The CDC does not give any guidelines for disinfecting or otherwise dealing with recently purchased food and packaging. Some people are taking minimal precautions, others are going to extremes, including removing all clothing and washing it when they come indoors after a walk to the store or other places. 

• Useful 3

Senate passed the stimulus. Probably won't be the last measure they'll have to take, but hopefully it will save a few businesses and jobs.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

For people who don't like to read graphs, it breaks down to "Plastic: 72 hours, Stainless Steel: 48 hours, Cardboard: 48 hours, Copper: 8 hours."  This is from the New England Journal of Medicine, a pretty reliable source.  It's for Cov-2, but they're pretty sure that Cov-19 behaves like other coronaviruses.

SARS-CoV-2 is the virus that causes Covid-19. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I just hope for good news. I know patience is a virtue, but the rate I am going I figured that I am going have long hair and I surely hope that's not the case. I have been exercising and I noticed a huge change, so that's good news.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

but the rate I am going I figured that I am going have long hair and I surely hope that's not the case

So man-buns may be making a comeback at a supermarket near you/us? 😉

• Laugh 2

This is a very good video on how to grocery shop safely from an M.D. It's 13 minutes long but lots of good suggestions if you can leave everything in the bag for 3 days.

• Useful 2

Today Mama got a call from a friend of hers in a local nursing home- just when they thought things were tough re not being able to have any visitors, the whole facility went on total lockdown! Yep, now the residents can't even leave their rooms/suites for any reason and must get their food via staff serving them on trays!  It seems that one resident may have tested positive.

On a less troubling note: I took a trip to Kroger yesterday and found that they had some soup on the shelf but still no noodles or pasta whatsoever. Hello, soup is more nutritious than starch!

Oh, and there was plenty of fresh produce and deli meats! 

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Today Mama got a call from a friend of hers in a local nursing home- just when they thought things were tough re not being able to have any visitors, the whole facility went on total lockdown! Yep, now the residents can't even leave their rooms/suites for any reason and must get their food via staff serving them on trays!  It seems that one resident may have tested positive.

Oh, lord. That sucks. I hope everyone will be okay. 

(I remember that story from a couple months or so back about the people stuck on that cruise ship who had to stay in their rooms, and the staff had to do things like call to the guests' rooms and try and entertain them over the phone. I mean, do what you gotta do and all, but I remember hearing that and thinking, "Man, I do not envy those staffers that job one bit." I hope the guests were understanding about it all.)

On a less troubling note: I took a trip to Kroger yesterday and found that they had some soup on the shelf but still no noodles or pasta whatsoever. Hello, soup is more nutritious than starch!

Oh, and there was plenty of fresh produce and deli meats! 

It's really been absolutely fascinating to learn about the sorts of things people are and aren't panic buying/hoarding of late. 

• Like 4

On 3/24/2020 at 7:38 PM, emma675 said:

I thought it was Wednesday pretty much up until about an hour ago.

Today was the first day in the last 10 where I didn't work 12-13 hours straight. Knock on wood, we've reached a point at my company where we're on top of things now. I actually cleaned, painted two windowsills, and did an online Pilates class. And the sun came out for the first time in 16 days.

I thought today (Wednesday) was Tuesday all day.  Maybe we need to do a mind meld!

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

What about produce, since it’s sitting out there in the stores?  Are people washing it in soap and water?

• Like 2

"All of the residents of a coronavirus-stricken nursing home in Woodbridge are now presumed to have the virus, and they are being moved to another location for treatment, local government sources told News 4 on Wednesday.

New Jersey health officials said Tuesday that many of the residents of the St. Joseph's Senior Home had taken ill, and many of the staff were out sick as well. That meant there were just 3 nuns left to take care of nearly 100 people.

Of the 94 total residents, 24 are now positive for COVID-19 and the other 70 are 'presumptive positive,' government sources said Wednesday. They are now being moved from the Woodbridge facility to a CareOne home in Whippany, roughly 30 miles to the north."

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/all-residents-of-virus-stricken-nj-nursing-home-now-assumed-to-be-infected/2343436/

• Sad 8

1 hour ago, Kiki777 said:

What about produce, since it’s sitting out there in the stores?  Are people washing it in soap and water?

I've wondered about that. When you peel an orange you touch the fruit inside while you're peeling it. When you cut or slice a melon the knife introduces what's on the outside to the inside. When you peel a banana I guess you could drop it on a plate or some other surface before touching it with your hands - how careful do we need to be? 

What about produce? Dr. Eckstrom advised washing your hands after unpacking groceries. And if you’re going to eat raw produce, she recommends washing it with an organic soap for washing vegetables or any natural dish soap.

“I am not wiping everything down, but I am carefully washing my hands after touching these grocery items,” said Dr. Eckstrom. “Cooking does kill the virus, but any fresh produce that is eaten raw should be carefully washed.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/well/eat/coronavirus-shopping-food-groceries-infection.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

• Like 4

On 3/24/2020 at 4:25 PM, Mountainair said:

If I remember correctly you are in Charlotte? My county has not yet issued this order but warnings that it is coming are being whispered. I’m in buncombe co where we only have 8 cases. They’ve shut down a majority of the parkway today because tourists were mass herding at popular waterfall spots. Most business have been closed for a little over a week now. 

I live in Wake Cty, and there’s talk of a county wide stay home.  HOWEVER, when u see the list of exempted industries that are “essential”, it appears very few will have to stay home.

Hubby works for a ServPro type company that deals with electronic recovery (ie computers & appliances), and they’re considered essential.  I work for a wholesaler where Duke Energy is our biggest client, and we’re considered essential.

It makes no sense to have shut in orders, if you exempt beyond Groceries/Drugstores, Agriculture, gas stations, trucking, dat care, pet care, and healthcare.

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, suomi said:

I've wondered about that. When you peel an orange you touch the fruit inside while you're peeling it. When you cut or slice a melon the knife introduces what's on the outside to the inside. When you peel a banana I guess you could drop it on a plate or some other surface before touching it with your hands - how careful do we need to be? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/well/eat/coronavirus-shopping-food-groceries-infection.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Thank you for that.  I hadn’t been wiping down anything, just unpacking things and always washing my hands before eating.  I suppose I could start wiping things down- but wipes are harder to replenish, as are cleaning products and paper towels.  Maybe I can use a dish towel and soapy water.

• Like 5

So just rinsing off apples in water no longer does the trick re this stuff? Uh-oh!

• Like 2