Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Giant Misfit

COVID-19: This Topic Requires No Social Distancing

20 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I'm still catching up on virus news since the last two weeks I've been dealing with the death of my mother. When you say "mass quantities" - how many are we talking? Why wouldn't they just keep it because eventually they can use it themselves? Did people buy more than they can even actually store?

Sorry to hear about your mom, my mother died on 9/10/01, so I know how hard it is to deal with the death of a loved one while the country is going through a crisis.

"Mass quantities" like this Canadian couple who bought tons of Lysol wipes & resold them on Amazon for a profit of $70,000 until Amazon shut their account down

costco.jpg

Or this guy & his brother who drove through multiple states buying all the hand sanitizer he could (over 17,000 bottles) to resell on Amazon (they shut down his account too). He was forced by the state to donate it all to charity.

matt-colvin-one-time-today-main_fcd98e13

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
  • Surprise 3

7 minutes ago, GaT said:

"Mass quantities" like this Canadian couple who bought tons of Lysol wipes & resold them on Amazon for a profit of $70,000

Sweet Jeebuz! I had no idea!

7 minutes ago, GaT said:

He was forced by the state to donate it all to charity.

This makes me happy!

8 minutes ago, GaT said:

Sorry to hear about your mom, my mother died on 9/10/01, so I know how hard it is to deal with the death of a loved one while the country is going through a crisis.

It's weird, isn't it?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

It's weird, isn't it?

It is, you kind of feel like you don't have the right to mourn because so many more people died than just the one you care about.

• Like 10

(Virtual) hugs to you, @Nordly Beaumont!

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

My Nextdoor feed is filled with posts of parents already going crazy having kids home 24/7 (especially because a lot of them were home for spring break just before this), and since schools won't reopen until the summer session at the earliest, that's only going to get worse.

It's really hard for parents who are both expected to work at their usual capacity from home *and* supervise/entertain/home-school young children. This morning before starting work I FaceTimed with my seven-year-old nephew in New York. He was walking through their living room while talking to me and I heard his mom in the background trying to conduct a conference call. I immediately shushed him and told him to go to his room so we don't disturb her. He thinks everyone is just having an impromptu vacation and doesn't understand that mom still needs to get work done.

12 minutes ago, GaT said:

Or this guy & his brother who drove through multiple states buying all the hand sanitizer he could (over 17,000 bottles) to resell on Amazon (they shut down his account too). He was forced by the state to donate it all to charity.

This is the most unintentional "feel good" story I've ever heard! People will still be laughing at these fools decades from now. I think it's prudent to stock up groceries and supplies to last a month or so in case the household needs to be quarantined, but getting much more than that is selfish.

• Like 11

I’m fortunate to be able to work from home, and I’m a young healthy person. 

However I am single, and it gets lonely. I love my alone time and not a girl who needs a man, but I do need more human interaction than I’m now getting. Also, my passions in life involve being close to people. I like to dance and go to different types of events where there are usually large groups of people on weekends. Besides dance, I enjoy shopping malls, movies, theatre, concerts, comedy shows, pretty much anything that is a no-no right now. I will be so excited once I can get back to my normal routine and my passions.

• Like 14

I'm told that US Interstates are more crowded than streets these days (not difficult) and that the rest stops are closed while the private gas stations left are limiting entry to a tiny number of folks at a time! Definitely not the time to take an impromptu road trip.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

4 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I'm still catching up on virus news since the last two weeks I've been dealing with the death of my mother. When you say "mass quantities" - how many are we talking? Why wouldn't they just keep it because eventually they can use it themselves? Did people buy more than they can even actually store?

So sorry for the loss of your mother, @Nordly Beaumont. I don't care how old we get, the loss of a parent brings out the child again. Please stay safe.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, ABay said:

It's a shame bidets never caught on here.

Apparently they have now!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

6 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

@Nordly Beaumont, my condolences.  Your mind must be in a fog and everything just seems so unimportant right now.  And then all this on top.  😔  

A friend from church just lost her mother over last weekend.  They had to travel a couple of states to the funeral but it was family only, w/a memorial service at a later date.  Hubby’s mother has been in poor health since a series of strokes, before & aft Christmas, but we’ve decided if something happens, we’re not going.  We were there in OH to see her in Jan, and she doesn’t want any service.

Please keep yourself safe, as it’s important not to let yourself get rundown.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Won't there be a point where people realize they have enough food to get through a month?

We've got plenty, except for milk. We normally buy several gallons of milk a week, and don't have room in the refrigerator for more than two at a time, so we're going to have to go back soon and hope there is milk. The boy drinks a lot of milk.

9 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Did people buy more than they can even actually store?

You've already gotten your answer, but yes. They did.

My question about the guy forced to donate the stuff, though, is does he still get a tax write-off? He should have donated it as soon as he found out he couldn't sell it, gotten a receipt for a tax deduction and made it sound like he knew the hospital/charity/whatever couldn't get sanitizer (without mentioning it was because of him) and so he traveled around and bought a bunch to donate. Of course, since he did an interview with photos about his sanitizer stash, I don't think he was smart enough to think of something like that.

I'm not minding working from home (too much, yet), but I'm finding it is hard to turn off my email and stop at the time I am supposed to be off work. I'm afraid people (upper management) are going to start expecting people to be available any time even though in regular times, we (I, at least) would not be. Next week, I'm going to really try to turn it off at quitting time. I already worked extra hours on Friday when I was supposed to be having vacation hours.

Edited by auntlada
  • Like 4

I went to the grocery store this morning for my regular shop, and also to Target for printer ink and paper.  I perused both just to see what was left on the shelves, and what had been completely bought out.

At the grocery store, there was plenty of canned soup, but zero packs of any kind of ramen.  Lots of canned beans, but only one or two bags of dried beans.  Only Minute rice left on the rice shelf.  Plenty of bread, milk, and eggs, and an abundance of all kinds of produce.  No croutons.  I still can't figure that one out, unless they just hadn't gotten around to restocking the croutons.  Of course, all the paper products were gone.

At Target, the only thing they were completely out of was toilet paper and paper towels.  They still had a few things of Kleenex -- mostly the little square boxes.  I guess no one likes those, but the only rectangular boxes were Toy Story themed.  No one likes Woody and Buzz!  But since I actually do need Kleenex, and I like Toy Story, I got a pack of those.  

And then I got gas for the car and the lawnmower.  If I work from home for too long, I'll need gas for the mower way before I need gas for the car.

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
  • Laugh 1

We're a lot of people & really should be in the stores daily due to the lack of products we need. We're being extremely conservative with what we have, but particularly with special needs kids when we run out it will be difficult. There is a small shop I frequented with huge orders; they've done nothing for me, even to keep a few of my autistic kids favorite hot dogs around so we'll have them. Nope, nothing. At the regular supermarket he explained our situation & again, tough shit buddy.

Life, humans.. whatever. But I won't forget.

Anyway, it's impossible to do the 6ft thing, really, it's ridiculous. The stores are so crowded & we all need to shop & get out. People are crowded around certain areas. If one tries to wait until the others are done, then more jump in before you, so I just try to get what I need as fast as possible.

That little store I mentioned up above also stupid policy of no bringing your own bags because they don't know where they've been. Okay, really? They've been in my damn trunk. I don't know where their bags have been, or any of them touching them, either FFS. So if you bring your own bags you have to bag it yourself. Fine, but, there's no room. So she puts the food down right in the tiny bag area & there's no way for me to get the food w/o getting closer to the damn cashier than I would've been had she just bagged it herself! So I certainly will not bring bags anymore. Honestly want to find a way to not frequent that store as much at all anymore; they don't deserve our business anymore, which was huge for a store like that.

This whole thing has really illuminated some people's stupidity & total lack of commons sense.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Like 7

I know you guys are probably getting sick of me saying this, but I really really hope this is over soon.

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

At Target, the only thing they were completely out of was toilet paper and paper towels.  They still had a few things of Kleenex

My nephew, a plumber, would like to remind people only three things belong in a toilet. Pee, poop, and toilet paper. If people get down to using Kleenex, paper towel, or baby wipes - they'd better toss it in the garbage, not the toilet. Things will be hard enough without plumber's bills on top of it!

• Like 17
  • Useful 4

That's what you have to in Greece with regular toilet paper. I didn't believe it when I read in guide books, and then I got there--every hotel bathroom and public restroom has signs telling you not to flush the paper.

• Surprise 5

I ventured out to Petco this morning and am happy to report that my trip was not only uneventful but I was able to stock up on cat food (a little more than usual, but far less than could be considered hoarding). For whatever reason, the idea of not being able to provide for my cats (2 almost-7-year-old longhaired brothers) is my top worry at the moment. I feel better now. But, in typical fashion (regardless of disaster scenarios), when I stopped at a small health food store, I kind of forgot what I wanted in there and picked up a bunch of complete randomness!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, ABay said:

That's what you have to in Greece with regular toilet paper. I didn't believe it when I read in guide books, and then I got there--every hotel bathroom and public restroom has signs telling you not to flush the paper.

Hmmm. One of my cousins rents rooms to college students. One of the guys was from the Middle East. He never put TP in the toilet bowl; it was always in the wastebasket, truly grossing her out. We all figured it was a cultural thing &/or because they have servants to do just about everything for them. Why do they not flush used TP?

• Surprise 1

10 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Why do they not flush used TP?

The sewage systems are not equipped for it.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 2

We had to put used toilet paper in the trash one time in Estonia when we were running a summer camp for kids. There it was the septic tank that couldn't handle the toilet paper. Older people with us mentioned having to do that when they were kids and grew up out in the country.

My co-worker and his wife got her test results back, and she did not have COVID-19.

• Like 13

I'm pretty sure I had the virus in early February and recovered. 

I woke up 2/7 with a scratchy throat, headache and cough, but other than that it wasn't behaving like any cold or flu I could ever remember having. Except for the cough I wasn't getting the usual respiratory symptoms--no chest congestion, runny nose or (ugh) copious green phlegm. The cough was really maddening: it hurt like hell and made my head pound. I drank NyQuil and rested while I waited for it to move to the hacking-up-gunk phase but it never did. Instead, the almost flu symptoms faded out after about a week and the fatigue set in. For the next two and a half weeks, I'd get out of bed and spend pretty much the whole day in a chair napping, watching TV, drinking tea and wondering why I had zero desire to do anything. Finally, that passed and now I feel completely normal again.

If I'd known then what we all know now, I would have been terrified. I'm 68 and though relatively healthy, my lungs have already been trashed by another battle between my immune system and a viral invasion a couple of decades ago. I hope it really was coronavirus and that I'm done with it but there's not enough research to get any proof, so I'm still following all the precautions.

• Like 11

If I'm not mistaken, a true marker for this is a fever, then the cough & possible shortness of breath. If you didn't have a fever, it probably wasn't it. But someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 4

I believe everything will be right again once this whole mess is over. However, the problem with a household of five is that everybody thinks differently. That's one of the main complaints, but we have to stick together. No matter what.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I know we aren't supposed to be political on this thread, but I would just like to say thank God for the governors that are showing more leadership, common sense, and empathy than certain people.

I live in NYC (Manhattan) and, so far, I am very grateful for my governor and his daily briefings during this pandemic-- the positive and the negative news.  No BS from him.

My mayor? 🤔Well, he's trying. 😃  

ETA: Actually, I have to give props to my mayor. He wanted to lock down NYC a couple of weeks ago and the governor wouldn't let him. Hindsight is 20/20, Governor.

Edited by AdeleDazeem
  • Like 11
  • Laugh 1

12 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I know we aren't supposed to be political on this thread, but I would just like to say thank God for the governors that are showing more leadership, common sense, and empathy than certain people.

Some governors. The one "leading" my state is not doing shit.

• Like 5
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 2

56 minutes ago, AdeleDazeem said:

I live in NYC (Manhattan) and, so far, I am very grateful for my governor and his daily briefings during this pandemic-- the positive and the negative news.  No BS from him.

My mayor? 🤔Well, he's trying. 😃  

ETA: Actually, I have to give props to my mayor. He wanted to lock down NYC a couple of weeks ago and the governor wouldn't let him. Hindsight is 20/20, Governor.

I live in PA but I've started streaming the NY daily briefings for exactly the reasons you said.  Gov. Cuomo is very honest about both the challenges and successes NY has faced in dealing with this disease.  Plus, since NY/NJ/PA/CT are trying to coordinate a region-wide response, any issues NY faces will probably soon crop up down here.

• Like 12

I'm in Korea right now and we have been on a semi lockdown since the beginning of February. I was fortunate enough to be out of the country for the majority of February but coming back here was a major shock to the system. 

They've been cancelling events here since February and K-12 schools were supposed to open in March 2 but won't open until April 6 (and that might get extended again as schools were supposed to open March 23). 

The situation is Korea is getting better. But, people are tired of being cooped up and having to stay at home and I'm seeing a lot of people ignore the social distancing mandate. I worry this will go on until the summer. I also have no hope that warmer weather will slow this virus down as South Africa has 240 cases (a rise from 202 on Friday) and it's the height of summer right now. 

Edited by watchingtvaddict · Reason: added some more numbers.
  • Like 8

We are a house of five people and just started our own business this year which requires my husband to go into peoples homes to do work. People have been postponing install dates due to this so our family has certainly taken a hit. 

I ordered pizza from our favorite pizza place yesterday who is operating out of an open window in their restaurant and left a 20% tip. I know we aren’t the only ones hurting.

When I went to the store yesterday afternoon for my weekly groceries there was very little meat left and what was left is stuff I wouldn’t eat any way (chicken feet anyone?). I needed ground chicken and ground pork and only found the pork. I purchased the last pack of hot dogs. There was no toilet paper but the supply a bought a month ago is still holding strong.

Monday starts distance learning for my boys (7 and 10). So last night I made up a daily schedule and posted it on the fridge so they have time to marinate over it until then. They weren’t pleased but this week I’ve been lenient and next week we are down to business. My four year old usually goes to half day preschool so she’s going to be the tough one to keep busy and out of the boys way while they get their work done. 

The idea that schools may not re open is giving me heart palpitations. I need my quiet time and the only time I get it now is at the grocery store  where I’m too worried about getting corona to enjoy it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Some governors. The one "leading" my state is not doing shit.

Did you see the news conference he had Thursday?  His montone reading barley looking up from the statement and blank facial expression just screamed he resented doing and and it came off as he could not care less. 

I went to Walgreen's today and they had blue tape on the floor marking off 6 foot intervals.  I thought that was a good idea.  There wasn't much of a line, 4 people and most took their place on the next piece of tape.  Most, except one guy.  There always has to be one.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Mountainair said:

Monday starts distance learning for my boys (7 and 10). So last night I made up a daily schedule and posted it on the fridge so they have time to marinate over it until then.

Would you share your schedule? I have an 8-year-old and am having trouble making a good schedule (that also takes into account that I have to work, too).

11 minutes ago, auntlada said:

Would you share your schedule? I have an 8-year-old and am having trouble making a good schedule (that also takes into account that I have to work, too).

Sure! Their school is sending over 30 minutes of work per subject (math, reading, science and social studies) as well as 30 minutes per day of what they call Investments which is PE, Art, Spanish, Theater. They get one of those per day. So 2 1/2 hours. They sent all the kids home with their laptops last Friday. I assume it will be pre recorded lessons from their teachers with assignments attached. 

They have one neighbor friend they play with (who goes to a different school) and I told them they can’t play until after 2:30. It’s going to be a regular school day. 

Good luck to you! l

6B6A9073-48DB-4755-B7C9-E7158D5CA11C.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

9 hours ago, ABay said:

Same in many countries/areas of South America...it takes a little getting used to!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AdeleDazeem said:

I don’t live in NY, but I have been watching Governor Cuomo’s briefings, and he is very reassuring, and gives the facts.  I find him very comforting.

• Like 13

59 minutes ago, tiftgirl said:

Did you see the news conference he had Thursday?  His montone reading barley looking up from the statement and blank facial expression just screamed he resented doing and and it came off as he could not care less. 

Oh god no I don't watch his drivel. I don't want to have to buy a new TV.

• Laugh 10

Someone else said it upthread, but I’m grateful for this thread.  Had a moment of emotional weakness a little while ago where I just burst into tears over worry over .... everything.  Friends who’ve lost their jobs in retail, a work friend in NYC who is sick with the virus, the stories from Italy, and not least of all my 70-yr-old, in-ill health father’s fighting my brother and me every step of the way on our insistence that he take precautions.

The hostility I got just trying to take an online grocery order for him was unreal.  It was like a captured soldier only willing to give his name, rank and serial number.

So it’s just nice to read this thread and learn how others are coping.  And to learn a little something informative about Greek sewage systems along the way.  The More You Know TM.

• Like 9
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I agree. I’m very appreciative that my governor and local leaders are reacting quickly. 

1 hour ago, watchingtvaddict said:

I also have no hope that warmer weather will slow this virus down as South Africa has 240 cases (a rise from 202 on Friday) and it's the height of summer right now. 

I admit I know very little about Southern Hemisphere weather patterns but isn’t it early autumn there.

There is one study that suggest heat and humidity might slow the spread but it’s still too soon to know. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

5 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

Someone else said it upthread, but I’m grateful for this thread.  Had a moment of emotional weakness a little while ago where I just burst into tears over worry over .... everything.  Friends who’ve lost their jobs in retail, a work friend in NYC who is sick with the virus, the stories from Italy, and not least of all my 70-yr-old, in-ill health father’s fighting my brother and me every step of the way on our insistence that he take precautions.

I hope your work friend and your father will be all right. And I hope your friends who've lost jobs will be able to find something new as soon as possible, too. 

I don't know how many businesses do their work mostly, if not solely, online nowadays, but it'd be great if people could find work with them, even if only for the time being. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, watchingtvaddict said:

The situation is Korea is getting better. But, people are tired of being cooped up and having to stay at home and I'm seeing a lot of people ignore the social distancing mandate. I worry this will go on until the summer. I also have no hope that warmer weather will slow this virus down as South Africa has 240 cases (a rise from 202 on Friday) and it's the height of summer right now. 

I just told a friend, earlier today, that that was a concern of mine. It's been a couple of weeks since things started shutting down here and we're, already, going nuts. I told her it's human nature to  forget why you were confined to begin with, to forget the gravity of the situation, to think it's okay now, to venture out after awhile. 

Of course, we, each, live in 300 square foot dark apartments. Very claustrophobic.😩  We're used to walking miles every day, going out to eat most days, not staying in our dark little dungeons. And, going to work. 

This is the first time I wish I were in the burbs in a house with a yard.☺ 

Edited by AdeleDazeem
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, tiftgirl said:

I went to Walgreen's today and they had blue tape on the floor marking off 6 foot intervals.  I thought that was a good idea.  There wasn't much of a line, 4 people and most took their place on the next piece of tape.  Most, except one guy.  There always has to be one.

They had that at "my" Walgreens, too, but the way the pharmacy is set up at the back of the store, the line ends in one of the aisles, and you can't see that until you get to the back of the store/to the pharmacy, so people had to walk very close to the people in line in the aisle to get to the end of the line. They need those stanchions with retractable belts to form the line parallel with the pharmacy where there's a ton of space.

• Like 1

I got the best cashier at Walgreens today! She saw me get all aggro about touching the debit buttons and said, "Don't worry; I just cleaned it." Then she told a lady behind me to stand back!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Kelly said:

I don’t live in NY, but I have been watching Governor Cuomo’s briefings, and he is very reassuring, and gives the facts.  I find him very comforting.

Yes. We don't know how this whole thing will pan out, but, for now, it's nice to have a leader who takes this seriously, has experience, knows how to assimilate new information and adjust accordingly, take responsibility, reassure us while giving us the bad news, all the things a good leader should and does do. 

• Like 7

A man in Spain disobeyed quarantine whilst in a dinosaur costume.  It’s so wrong that he did this, but the video made me giggle  (the music!)

• Like 6
  • Laugh 6

As for Governor's, I live in Chicago, but am staying with my 70 year old parents in my west Michigan hometown while this is all going down. I kind of love the Michigan Governor. Also, on a superficial note her lipstick game is on point.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 5

2 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

and not least of all my 70-yr-old, in-ill health father’s fighting my brother and me every step of the way on our insistence that he take precautions.

My father is in his early 60s and in reasonably good health, but trying to get him to take precautions is futile as well. He and my mother live in Germany, where there have been many more cases per capita than in the US, but he continues to go to work (even though he has plenty of accrued vacation time) and is really lax about precautions. He refuses to use hand sanitizer or disinfecting wipes "because they only weaken the immune system in the long term." My mother is the same age but is at a higher risk due to high blood pressure, so she has taken time off her job, but they live in the same household, so she's still in danger of contracting the virus through him. He doesn't seem to understand that at all, and keeps making jokes like there's more panic in Germany now than during the WWII bombings. 🤦‍♀️

Edited by chocolatine
  • Sad 5

I am kind of missing my favorite diner spots and the good Italian food places we use to venture to. I know they are doing takeouts, but it is not same. We have been lately doing our own food. I think that is a good thing. But I have been very careful not to order any diner food. Pizza we could do, but the rest like Italian, Spanish, etc. I have been very hesitant. Which reminds me, how are all those popular spots like Tartine's, Carmine's, and all the rest are doing so far in the city?  I am from Westchester.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Like 4