Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Giant Misfit

COVID-19: This Topic Requires No Social Distancing

8 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Please don't wash produce with soap - it's not good for you, or necessary

I agree. I meant the packaging. (Bananas grow their own packaging.)
Apples just get water —but the plastic bags the apples come in gets wiped with the soapy water. 

2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

"I'll just add that to my list of reasons to die." -- Frasier Crane

Apologies, I truly didn't intend to add to anyone's anxieties. It's just that I'm a mystery buff and that info from Cuomo seemed like some weird equivalent of a locked-room mystery. But a lot of the theories that y'all have come up with make perfect sense. Everyone has a different definition of what "lockdown" actually means. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Apologies, I truly didn't intend to add to anyone's anxieties. It's just that I'm a mystery buff and that info from Cuomo seemed like some weird equivalent of a locked-room mystery. But a lot of the theories that y'all have come up with make perfect sense. Everyone has a different definition of what "lockdown" actually means. 

Oh, no worries! Honestly, before this all happened I was already a bit of a worrier and germphobe anyway (with diagnosed OCD tendencies--I'm FUN!).

I actually I keep wondering if that puts me somewhat ahead of the game in this situation (because I already wipe down things that are frequently touched like doorhandles, drawer fronts, and light switches) or at a deficit because I am starting out with an existing default layer of stress.

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

my guess about the numbers in New York is that sometimes people think they’re being careful when they’re not really.  Like wearing masks improperly by not covering their noses.  Why even bother?

All true, but you're missing one huge factor with respect to NYC...  population density.  

The combination of population density and viral load makes NYC the perfect breeding ground.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

10 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Good heavens, please don't make me defend these people, but some of them are crying over not having a job or not being able to get one because of the ruination of the economy.  I abhor what they're doing, but it's really not just about haircuts.

I firmly believe that a lot of it is just about being roiled up in general, at some bad actors' bidding.  But that doesn't mean there aren't kernels of truth in there, and I think characterizing their protests as being about haircuts doesn't really advance the ball.  Of course, that's just me being reasonable and rational, which doesn't really advance the ball, either, sadly.

But the thing on haircuts.  I've seen I don't know how many men pay someone to use clippers with some specified guard to cut their hair.  I'm so desperate not to have to go to someone to cut my hair that I've let Mr. Outlier try to teach himself to do mine (pre-pandemic, I'll brag).  If I could just buy some clippers, slap a guard on them, and run them over my head and get the desired result, I'd never darken a haircutter's doorstep again. 

Probably doesn't help that one of the pictures they like to show is the woman holding a sign that says "I want a haircut."

You could always let your kid do it...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My imaginary money would be they didn't lie but they weren't truthful.

"I was at home the whole time" except for the time they

ordered take-out
picked up groceries
hung out with their neighbors "6 ft apart"
let their kid have a friend over because "they're isolating, too"

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think they were necessarily lying; although I'm sure some were.  Or out of it if they're hospitalized. I think some preliminary data was revealed but like so much of the "preliminary" stuff being released (whether data or pre-published early research) the reporting on this has had a touch of the "If it bleeds, it leads---the virus will come through the window and get you!" vibe.

We don't know enough about the data or the questions asked to know whether that doomsday scenario is the case yet or not.  Basically, it sounds like they were expecting the new cases to come from the obvious settings like using public transportation, working on the front lines or living in congregant settings. 

What they found is many of the new cases came from people living at home and not using their cars or traveling on foot on a daily basis. (He actually said daily basis.) That doesn't sound like they never went out; it sounds like they didn't go out daily.  I also don't think they talked about whether or not people came to visit them at home.  Or whether or not they live in an apartment building filled with shared spaces that people might pass through on their occasional forays out the door to get food or exercise.  Did they dig deep into their hand washing habits? 

And yeah, we need to know how the surveys were distributed.  They were distributed statewide but do the majority of respondents live in densely populated areas like NYC?

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Mountainair said:

I was going to smoke a brisket for Mother's Day here but have been unable to find one. So, I sent my mom to Sam's to look for one. She's still working and out and about daily so it was not a big deal to ask her. She said Sam's was completely out of meat. Only had seafood in stock. She talked to the butcher there and they told her the meat supply has gone way down and the only way to get any now is to be first in line and right after the truck arrives. I'm hoping my local grocer has at least ground beef when I am able to go shopping on Friday. If so I'll be grilling burgers with my parents and brother for Mother's Day. We've been getting together all along but technically we move into Phase One on Friday which allows gatherings of 10 people. We will be 9. 

We're planning to go to my parents' for Mother's Day. Probably order take-out (though I haven't finalized that with my brother yet). It's only the four of us and I'm trying to convince myself that we're probably not all going to die. (Our state of emergency was just extended another 30 days. Over 130K cases and 8500 deaths in the state.)

My mom asked if I wanted to pick up a dinner because she was making a turkey breast so I went over there after I finished work. The front door was open and just inside the storm door was a bag with dinner and a dish of cranberry sauce waiting for me. I opened the door, took the bag, and replaced it with some banana bread I made last night. (My own personal Mom 'n' Pop restaurant; accepts baked goods as payment. 😉) Then when I got home I checked the mail and found my refund from my car insurance company for my lack of driving (can I get one from Sirius since I'm not listening to my radio, either?). I last got gas on March 14th and my tank is still 3/4 full.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I last got gas on March 14th and my tank is still 3/4 full.

Sounds like you're getting about a week to the gallon...  not bad.

• Laugh 2

3 minutes ago, Ranger Bob said:

Sounds like you're getting about a week to the gallon...  not bad.

My parents are only about 3 miles away, and I've only had to go to my office twice since I last filled my tank (on March 16th and just last Friday), which is about 15-20 miles depending on which route I take. I've been working from home so I can't go anywhere during the weekdays even if I wanted to. I've been trying to drive at least once a week (usually to my parents' to pick up or drop off stuff) just so my car doesn't sit for too long. It was just about due for service when this started so I'll do that whenever things let up (though the dealer is open; I don't want to be there and I don't really see the need right now).

8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My parents are only about 3 miles away, and I've only had to go to my office twice since I last filled my tank (on March 16th and just last Friday), which is about 15-20 miles depending on which route I take. I've been working from home so I can't go anywhere during the weekdays even if I wanted to. I've been trying to drive at least once a week (usually to my parents' to pick up or drop off stuff) just so my car doesn't sit for too long. It was just about due for service when this started so I'll do that whenever things let up (though the dealer is open; I don't want to be there and I don't really see the need right now).

I understand completely.  I'm in a similar situation.  

My post was nothing more than a poor attempt at a joke. 

Apologies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My imaginary money would be they didn't lie but they weren't truthful.

"I was at home the whole time" except for the time they

ordered take-out
picked up groceries
hung out with their neighbors "6 ft apart"
let their kid have a friend over because "they're isolating, too"

I live in Manhattan and I see people I know posting photos on Facebook of walks they are taking around town.  I know it's possible to stay 6 feet apart at all times, but we are talking New York City here, and a lifetime of habit.  I can't even go to my lobby without finding someone down there hanging out talking or rushing by a foot or two away from me.

I suspect the people who said they had been "home" may have just meant to say they weren't working, or hadn't been on the subway.  As others have mentioned we don't really know how the question was put to them either.

• Like 8

Glad the test came back negative, @Jeeves. Hope you get to feeling better soon. 

• Like 4

Well done, Jeeves, and congratulations on the negative result. How would you describe the swab test? How invasive/how tolerable was it? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, suomi said:

Well done, Jeeves, and congratulations on the negative result. How would you describe the swab test? How invasive/how tolerable was it? 

The swab went WAY up my nose and it hurt enough to where my eye wanted to water but it literally was just a second of pain - if that long. Seriously, it was quick! And certainly tolerable. Almost like the pain was over before it had a chance to really start, if that makes sense. I consciously did my best to relax as she put the swab up my nose and I think that helped vs being all tensed up. 

Oh, and I'm officially a coward, just FYI. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 5

Picked up a grocery order at WalMart in northern Utah today and while I was waiting I used my rear view mirror to watch two orders being loaded. The confirmation email directs you to stay in your vehicle with your windows rolled up. 

Both employees were wearing masks and walked up to the closed driver's window and pointed to the back of the vehicle, asking if they should load there or in the side doors. Neither driver was wearing a mask, both lowered their windows and had extended conversations with the employees who walked to their windows to hear them better. 

The female employee kept her mask in place, stood one foot from the driver's window and then loaded in the hatchback and went on her way.

The male employee lowered his mask to his neck and used his phone to look at something and the unmasked customer started using his phone. Their phones were 12 inches apart (or less) for a good five minutes and the entire time they kept typing and scrolling and showing each other their screens. 

I watched about 30 people leave the store and only three were wearing masks. I watched about a dozen people enter the store and none were wearing masks. Gah!

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 11

8 hours ago, forumfish said:

Do you listen online? I don't pay for radio, but whenever Sirius does the free 10-day preview, I listen in the car. Right now, they are doing free in-house listening through May. I tried it in the car the other night and it's not working, so it really is an "at home" preview. They have a limited-time Zeppelin station and an Eagles station, so yay!

Glad you tested negative, @Jeeves!

I have a question related to re-opening businesses -- here in Texas, many businesses state that they will take the temperature of their employees each time they report to work. I appreciate that, but hasn't the science community proven that you can be contagious and asymptomatic? So if Joe Schmo reports for work and is running no fever, he can still be infected and infect others, yes?

I think I can listen online but I never think to do it. I had the free trial when I bought my car, then I got a good deal for renewal after the 3 months, then I just let it roll over for this year because I was being lazy. I need to either cancel it or at least change my subscription to the "Mostly Music" option, which is cheaper and still includes pretty much anything I might want to listen to (some of the stand-up comedy channels would go away, I think, but I'm okay with that). I eventually cancelled it in my last car because I really only listen to a handful of channels; also I listen to my ipod most of the time. I guess I'll decide when it's up in September.

Temperature checks certainly aren't foolproof (and having a fever could be any number of things that are or are not contagious). It might be a bit of "security theater" but if someone does have a fever I guess it's better to err on the side of caution. My workplace is doing them (which means everyone has to go in through the employee entrance...glad that if I have to go, I would go in after the warehouse shift has already started). I don't know how they deal with hundreds of people all coming in at roughly the same time (other than keeping the doors open and removing the turnstiles they normally go through, so no one has to touch them).

• Like 1

My husband and I finally got our stimulus money direct deposit yesterday. It was delayed because the last time we got a refund from the IRS we had a different bank. I had to keep going on the IRS website until they fixed it to allow you to update your banking information. We also got a surprise check of $100 from our insurance company. They're giving refunds because people are driving less. But my husband and I haven't changed how much we drive at all. I'm retired and my husband is self employed and works from home (even when I was working I walked to work rather than drove).  A tank of gas lasts me 3 or 4  months, the only driving I do is once a week to the grocery store that's 3 miles away.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

think I can listen online but I never think to do it. I had the free trial when I bought my car, then I got a good deal for renewal after the 3 months, then I just let it roll over for this year because I was being lazy. I need to either cancel it or at least change my subscription to the "Mostly Music" option, which is cheaper and still includes pretty much anything I might want to listen to (some of the stand-up comedy channels would go away, I think, but I'm okay with that).

Every year when my renewal comes around, I call Sirius and tell them that I like their product but I don’t like it enough to pay them the $200+ that they are asking me to pay. Then they “speak to the supervisor” and the price gets reduced to $120 or so. For the year. They know Sirius isn’t a necessity and they would rather get some money than none at all. Try it!

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

Here's a heartwarming story and further proof that despite what some think most people are good and this pandemic isn't the end of the world.

93 y/o Air Force vet sneaks out of his senior community and hitchhikes to local dollar store to get Hershey bars. It seems that he and his 94 y/o girl friend like to share one each evening but he hasn't been able to get any due to the pandemic. 

Read about the guy that picked him up and posted about it on FB where it went viral and the candy distributors that have reached out to the AF vet. 

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/air-force-veteran-93-hitchiking-chocolate-bars-split-one-girlfriend-every-night

• Like 9
  • Surprise 1

12 hours ago, forumfish said:

I have a question related to re-opening businesses -- here in Texas, many businesses state that they will take the temperature of their employees each time they report to work. I appreciate that, but hasn't the science community proven that you can be contagious and asymptomatic? So if Joe Schmo reports for work and is running no fever, he can still be infected and infect others, yes?

That's how I understand it.

16 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Today while watching the briefing I had impure thoughts about Gov. Cuomo.

Heh. I don't think you need to worry. I went impure with the Governor the first time I saw him.

• Laugh 14

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Temperature checks certainly aren't foolproof (and having a fever could be any number of things that are or are not contagious). It might be a bit of "security theater" but if someone does have a fever I guess it's better to err on the side of caution.

These temperature checks bug me.  It would be great if every person with coronavirus had a fever, but that's just not the case. 

So you're culling out only some people who might be spreading it, and you know that passing muster will give people a false sense of security and affect their behavior.  

2 hours ago, ALenore said:

They're giving refunds because people are driving less. But my husband and I haven't changed how much we drive at all. I'm retired and my husband is self employed and works from home (even when I was working I walked to work rather than drove).  A tank of gas lasts me 3 or 4  months, the only driving I do is once a week to the grocery store that's 3 miles away.

I have a "low mileage" designation on one of my cars; it gets driven only a couple thousand miles a year.  It's listed as an "annual mileage discount" on my statement, and is about $80/year. 

You might check into whether your insurance company offers something similar.

USAA is giving everybody a 20% credit on two months of premiums, and extended it for a third month.  So the car that's already getting a discount for being driven very little is getting an additional discount because people aren't driving much. 

That's what happens when you throw a wide net.  The essential workers who are still commuting are driving the same amount and getting the discount.  Of course, if there are a lot fewer cars on the road in general, I imagine the ones that are out there are less likely to run into each other. 

Actually, I hadn't thought about the auto insurance business.  I know Amazon is making out like a bandit, as well as the delivery app things, but auto insurance companies are probably doing pretty well, too.  I'm sure claims are way down, and they get to look like good guys by giving us some of our premiums back. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

7 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

These temperature checks bug me.  It would be great if every person with coronavirus had a fever, but that's just not the case. 

So you're culling out only some people who might be spreading it, and you know that passing muster will give people a false sense of security and affect their behavior.  

Which is part of why wearing a mask is a good thing.  If you are an asymptomatic spreader and you wear your mask properly, you are less likely to infect other people.

• Like 11

44 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I'm a Rhode Islander, but I've been watching NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo's daily briefings for the past couple of weeks.

I've also been social distancing/sheltering-in-place since the end of February.

Is this a sign I'm experiencing a complete psychological break? Should I be concerned? 

😉

I don't remember if I posted this already, but...

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

59 minutes ago, Ranger Bob said:

Here's a heartwarming story and further proof that despite what some think most people are good and this pandemic isn't the end of the world.

93 y/o Air Force vet sneaks out of his senior community and hitchhikes to local dollar store to get Hershey bars. It seems that he and his 94 y/o girl friend like to share one each evening but he hasn't been able to get any due to the pandemic. 

Read about the guy that picked him up and posted about it on FB where it went viral and the candy distributors that have reached out to the AF vet. 

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/air-force-veteran-93-hitchiking-chocolate-bars-split-one-girlfriend-every-night

That's sweet (I liked the beer lady that Coors sent several cases to, but I'd rather have chocolate), but I gotta admit, I was highly amused by the last several words of the URL:

Hitchhiking Chocolate Bars Split One Girlfriend Every Night 🤣

Kinky.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 5

1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Is this a sign I'm experiencing a complete psychological break? Should I be concerned? 

😉

Yes. Stockholm Syndrome.

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 11

29 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I have a "low mileage" designation on one of my cars; it gets driven only a couple thousand miles a year.  It's listed as an "annual mileage discount" on my statement, and is about $80/year. 

You might check into whether your insurance company offers something similar.

I actually do supposedly get a "low mileage" discount, but I'm not sure how much it is, it's not listed on my bill. 

• Like 2

My local Starbucks has reopened. I should probably be ashamed of how happy this makes me. 

• Like 5

All of this "reopening" terrifies me. COVID-19 vaccine research breakthroughs  (nytimes.com/2020/05/06/science/llama-coronavirus-antibodies.html), OTOH, make me happy: 

Humans produce only one kind of antibody
...Llamas, on the other hand, produce two types of antibodies. One of those antibodies is similar in size and constitution to human antibodies. But the other is much smaller; it’s only about 25 percent the size of human antibodies....

This more diminutive antibody can access tinier pockets and crevices on spike proteins — the proteins that allow viruses like the novel coronavirus to break into host cells and infect us — that human antibodies cannot. That can make it more effective in neutralizing viruses.

• Like 5
  • Useful 5

On 5/6/2020 at 12:12 PM, theredhead77 said:

Elsewhere in MI at a Dollar Tree  a man wiped his nose on an employees shirt after being asked to wear a mask.

On one hand, enforcing a mask law is not worth dying over. On the other hand, I'm super annoyed that OK caved to threats and lifted mask requirements instead of making these fuckers face consequences.

Two McDonald's Employees were shot in OK after telling customers to leave the dining area. McDonald's employees do not get paid enough to deal with the normal bullshit but they literally do not get paid enough to deal with this.

I really hope we start seeing these domestic terrorists shooting and threatening people charged with domestic terrorism and attempted murder.

(CNN)Two McDonald's employees in Oklahoma City were shot Wednesday after they told two customers to leave the store's dining area, police said.

The suspects got angry and took out a gun when they were asked to leave due to coronavirus restrictions, Oklahoma City Police Lt. Michelle Henderson told CNN.

Two workers were shot and a third was injured after a scuffle broke out, Henderson said. Police told CNN affiliate KOCO that one of the victims was shot in the leg while the other was shot in the shoulder. Neither injury is considered life-threatening, the affiliate reported.

• Like 11
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 9

1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I'm a Rhode Islander, but I've been watching NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo's daily briefings for the past couple of weeks.

😉

If it makes you feel better I have a MAD crush on Dr. Fauci.  Sure he’s like 100 but SO adorable!  

• Like 8
  • Laugh 11

13 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

If it makes you feel better I have a MAD crush on Dr. Fauci.  Sure he’s like 100 but SO adorable!  

I'm with you. 

• Like 9
  • Laugh 3

50 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

My local Starbucks has reopened. I should probably be ashamed of how happy this makes me. 

Our local Starbucks reopened on Monday and promptly created a massive traffic jam on the road leading to the drive through window. I mean, it was BAD. I felt sorry for the people who were working inside. Not so much for the people who were waiting over an hour to get a cup of coffee.

Does anyone even know why they closed in the first place? They were open during the first weeks of our state's lockdown (drive through only, no one was allowed inside) and then, all of a sudden, they closed. 

• Like 3

I believe it was because some of the drive thru locations were getting huge lines, and to protect their own employees from contagion.       There are three Starbucks locations near me (strangely enough, 2 are in one huge outdoor mall, and one is 1/4 mile down the street from the other two), and only one had a drive thru, I can only imagine the lines if they had been the only one open in town.  

The one in Barnes & Noble will probably reopen for take out service when the book store reopens, but no seating.   The one at Target is super crowded, and in a nook by itself, so I'm not sure how they will safely reopen.  

In Alabama, (I really do live here), the biggest hot spot in growing cases is in Mobile.   This is being blamed on people escaping New Orleans, and coming here.    The second hot spot is Auburn/Opelika, which has a huge medical center.   Their patients are mostly new arrivals from Atlanta (the medical center is right next to the interstate directly from there). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

"I'll just add that to my list of reasons to die." -- Frasier Crane

I got another one for you.

Coronavirus May Lurk in Semen, Researchers Report

A couple of caveats however. It's a single study and does not mean it can be transmitted sexually. But this virus is a devious MFer.

• Useful 1
  • Surprise 3

5 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

😉

You are not alone, if this news story is anything to go by:

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-long-island-matchmaker-cuomo-brothers-jonas-brothers-20200429-rf4uhfndk5habn2xhdzpupvhsa-story.html

I don't live in that part of the country, so the only time I see any of Cuomo's briefings is when they show clips of them on Colbert or Meyers or stuff like that, but I get the attraction with people like him or Fauci or so forth. Hearing from people who actually know what the hell they're talking about and who are smart and responsible in regards to this crisis is refreshing, and very appealing. 

• Like 22

18 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

<snip>

I don't live in that part of the country, so the only time I see any of Cuomo's briefings is when they show clips of them on Colbert or Meyers or stuff like that, but I get the attraction with people like him or Fauci or so forth. Hearing from people who actually know what the hell they're talking about and who are smart and responsible in regards to this crisis is refreshing, and very appealing. 

The PBS News Hour YouTube channel carries Cuomo's briefings live every day; you can also watch them after the fact.

Here's today's:

The article about the Cuomo bros. is cute. Funny thing is, just looking at them in passing I don't find either one of them particularly attractive. But Andrew has become attractive to me over the past couple of weeks (which has happened to me before in real life, which is why I put very little stock in "instant chemistry" or needing to feel a "spark" on a first date).

Today I was watching and thought "Hmm. That man is kinda sexy!" 😊 

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Hearing from people who actually know what the hell they're talking about and who are smart and responsible in regards to this crisis is refreshing, and very appealing. 

Exactly.  I've always liked Gavin Newsom, but this crisis has brought on a full-out intellectual crush.  Especially since he's included more than once - and well before the NYT wrote about it - in his briefings the fact women are taking on the bulk of the extra work necessitated by staying at home - cleaning, cooking, monitoring and supplementing the kids' education, child care, etc. - while maintaining their existing job responsibilities.

• Like 19

10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Exactly.  I've always liked Gavin Newsom, but this crisis has brought on a full-out intellectual crush.  Especially since he's included more than once - and well before the NYT wrote about it - in his briefings the fact women are taking on the bulk of the extra work necessitated by staying at home - cleaning, cooking, monitoring and supplementing the kids' education, child care, etc. - while maintaining their existing job responsibilities.

Oh, nice. A very important point to make, indeed-good on him for doing so.

@TwirlyGirly, thanks for letting me know about the YouTube channel! I'll keep that in mind, then!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

@TwirlyGirly, thanks for letting me know about the YouTube channel! I'll keep that in mind, then!

While you were replying to me, I was editing my reply to you! So go back and re-read mine if you get the chance! 😉

• Laugh 2

They extended the stay at home order in my state (MI) until May 28, but at least my layoff ends Friday so I can WFH on Monday.

I'll echo the crushes on Newsom, Cuomo, and Fauci and raise you a girl crush on Gretchen Whitmer. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 20

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Exactly.  I've always liked Gavin Newsom, but this crisis has brought on a full-out intellectual crush. 

I'm trying, but I'm small enough to have ex-wife issues.  I just can't believe it's not an indicator of something troubling.

8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I get the attraction with people like him or Fauci or so forth. Hearing from people who actually know what the hell they're talking about and who are smart and responsible in regards to this crisis is refreshing, and very appealing. 

Your "responsible" kind of covers it, but they all appear to truly care about the health of the citizens, and I find that very appealing.

But I'll add that "smart" has become a repellent trait to some, right behind "educated."

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Like 8
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

I got another one for you.

Coronavirus May Lurk in Semen, Researchers Report

A couple of caveats however. It's a single study and does not mean it can be transmitted sexually. But this virus is a devious MFer.

I've been waiting for a time to post this little five minute interview with one of the co-founders of Retraction Watch because I think it's interesting.  They talk about the Coronavirus news and I think, either here or in another interview, they say that at least six Coronavirus studies have been retracted already.  And some of the findings in the studies I've actually heard of. 

https://www.pri.org/file/2020-04-27/dangers-sharing-unpublished-medical-articles-during-pandemic

29 minutes ago, Bastet said:

In scientific publishing they've noticed a decided drop in research articles being submitted by women since the crisis started.  They aren't sure but they suspect this might be part of it.  Women are taking on the bulk of extra home work and doing their regular jobs that they don't have time to do extra research/publishing.

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'll echo the crushes on Newsom, Cuomo, and Fauci and raise you a girl crush on Gretchen Whitmer. 

And don't forget my Mr. Rogers/Walter Cronkite/Ira Flato, favorite Teddy Bear:   Illinois Governor Pritzger.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Did you see her on the Daily Social Distancing Show a few weeks ago? She wore a t-shirt that said "that woman from Michigan." 😄 

• Like 14

OMG!  Good news for those worried about the murder hornet.  

This video is graphic, so don't watch if you're squeamish, I'll spoilerize what happens.  

Praying mantis vs. Murder hornet (youtube)

Spoiler

A praying mantis eats the head off a murder hornet!  Go team Mantis!!

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

21 hours ago, forumfish said:

My understanding is the intention with this is "let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good". So while, yes, it is confirmed that there are TONS of asymptomatic, contagious carriers, it's not possible for all employers to test all their employees before entering the building every day, nor would that be practical anyway. Given that the overall level of testing in the general population is very unlikely to increase sufficiently to allow containment via contact tracing alone, they're trying to do what they can do. And they can take temperatures and prevent people who are feverish with something from coming in and contaminating the workplace. It does not eliminate risk, but it should reduce risk, even if some of those people have fevers not from COVID-19, and other people have it but no fever. Then again, as someone else mentioned, most of the reopening plans do require mask-wearing. So theoretically even if someone gets in the door, feverless and unknowingly contagious, if they're wearing a mask, that should reduce transmission risk some more; if they're washing their hands properly with appropriate frequency and purell when they cannot, it reduces it even more, and if staff keep physical distance throughout the day, and if communal surfaces are sanitized multiple times daily, even more. Etc. and so on.

Personally I do think it is too early for any US state to consider "opening up" given the current levels of testing; however the impetus behind the checklist of safety measures that must be in place when stuff does open is reasonable to me, even if it cannot cover every possibility (nothing can really).

• Like 15

8 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Our local Starbucks reopened on Monday and promptly created a massive traffic jam on the road leading to the drive through window. I mean, it was BAD. I felt sorry for the people who were working inside. Not so much for the people who were waiting over an hour to get a cup of coffee.

Does anyone even know why they closed in the first place? They were open during the first weeks of our state's lockdown (drive through only, no one was allowed inside) and then, all of a sudden, they closed. 

My dad said that one town we used to visit every week (for the bookstore and health food store run), had one Starbucks open again, the drive-through line was *really* long. When they were closing six/seven weeks ago, he had suggested that we go up there for me to get my iced chai fix, but I reminded him that we were supposed to limit trips like that.

I have boxes of chai tea latte mix in the cupboard, to mix with milk and ice, if I really get a craving, but one Starbucks did stay open in our local Giant Eagle, so I can get one when we visit that grocery store. 

I really miss the library and the bookstore, but I know I won't feel comfortable browsing there for a while. I briefly manage to shut all of this out, if I avoid most people online, and the news, but then I get a reminder that places are continuing lock downs, and we're expected to get an even stronger wave of this in the Autumn and Winter. 😞 I need to finish the library books I have, so they're ready to go back, if/when our library opens again. Our drop boxes have been closed for about five-six weeks. As soon as it was made official that we needed to stay at home.

Edited by Anela
  • Like 6