Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Giant Misfit

COVID-19: This Topic Requires No Social Distancing

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Genius!
Have you worn it to a store that required masks and did you get any flack for it? 

None of the stores here require masks and I'm pretty much staying at home so I haven't tried it out in a store yet yet. But i thought it was such an elegant solution.  I hate wearing masks because it's so hard to read breathe in them and since I wear glasses, it seemed like a win.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Possibly my favourite mask. All you need is a report cover, a hole puncher and a pair of glasses:

You do understand that now I'm going to have to inscribe the lyrics of "I wear my sunglasses at night" on the  clear sheet cover.  Because no other glasses.

Or maybe a parody...

I wear my sunglasses inside                                                                                                     So I can, so I can
Shop and stand behind you in store lines

And I wear my sunglasses inside
So I can, so I can
Keep the virus out of my mouth and eyes

While, if you’re reading me
You are standing to close to me
Have you heard of social distancing?
I turn to you and say

Don't come within six feet of the girl in shades, oh no
Don't touch all the products in the store, oh no
I can't believe it
'Cause you've got to consider asymptomatic spread, oh no

I've officially lost my mind.  Now I'm off to read about murder hornets.  'Cause that should help.  Maybe they'll come in the form of a tornado since we've had so much fun with those over the last few weeks.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 12

19 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Anyone else starting to think the environment has become 'self aware' and is getting pissed we're not staying inside? Just when shelter in place orders are starting to be lifted, and people are losing their shit over having to still shelter in place and/or wear masks, 2020 presents: murder hornets!

Link goes to the CNN article about it, but if you google murder hornets you'll find every major outlet it covering this horrifying twist of events.

If you need me, I'll be inside. I'm never leaving the house again.

Yes, it's freaky. I don't want to think about what June might bring. They're like something out of the Hunger Games. 

• Like 5

Just now, Anela said:

I don't want to think about what June might bring. 

I saw somebody commenting elsewhere a while back that this year's been like a "horrible events" sort of advent calendar thus far. Each month seems to bring some new horror of some kind. 

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I saw somebody commenting elsewhere a while back that this year's been like a "horrible events" sort of advent calendar thus far. Each month seems to bring some new horror of some kind. 

Lemony Snicket is going to need to write a new Series of Unfortunate Events.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

In other news, I'm now endeavoring to pull off Mother's Day without going into a store.

My Mom's retired so she is having a harder time not being able to go out and do things.  Its easier, I think, when you have a job that keeps you occupied five days out of the week.

And my brother is being super cautious with regards to the grand kids putting her at risk which she is having a hard time with, I think. Since he's being forced to go into work so they can't be quarantined long enough that my brother is willing to risk my Mom's health.

We aren't especially at risk or anything.  We are just have some shared familial fear, for lack of a better word, that makes us all super protective and worried about each other since my father died.  You'd think that would ease up over the years, but it hasn't.

I actually thought to send a gift two weeks ago because everything was taking three weeks.  

It didn't occur to me that we could get together (since we've both been quarantining) and then it arrived two weeks early so I want to do something extra  to cheer her up. 

I'm going to go over and cook dinner, but I'll have to see what I can get delivered from the grocery store to make it a bit special.

Too late, it seems, to buy a card and grocery stores don't have them online so I guess I'm returning to childhood where you make one. Wish I had bought some glue on the last grocery trip.  At least I have paint and colored pencils and stuff like that.

I set up a curbside delivery of yard stuff and included a pre-planted container with it to get some flowers.

I'm going to go see if there is anything I can buy online that will make it on time or that I can get and wrap a picture of.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Too late, it seems, to buy a card and grocery stores don't have them online so I guess I'm returning to childhood where you make one. Wish I had bought some glue on the last grocery trip.  At least I have paint and colored pencils and stuff like that.

I briefly considered looking at cards when I was at the grocery store on Friday but I didn't want to spend the extra time (and tonight a friend mentioned the same thing and brought up how people tend to pick up and return multiple cards before choosing one so now I don't wanna touch any card displays ever again). And I just remembered I think I have a Mother's Day card stashed somewhere that I bought and lost and/or forgot about, or if not I have plenty of pretty blank cards I can write something in. She never wants gifts anyway, so dinner and visiting will be enough for her (I once gave her a nice gift bag with tissue paper and nothing else in it because she said she wanted "nothing." So I gave her nothing. Gift wrapped. 😉 

I don't think we're super high risk but I still worry. My brother said dinner was okay for him so I said yes also. Anxious. I hope it's nice enough to sit outside. More space.

• Like 2

Costco has flower delivery and there are website that sell (and send) fancy cards. Costco flowers seem reasonable. The cards are a bit pricey but if your (general) mom loves cards its an option

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

Typing as a mother of 3 adult kids: Handmade cards are the best, and the best part of a store card is what you write in it
--although occasionally there's a great store-bought card, like the one that said something like: Our goal in life is not to make yours miserable...although at times it may seem that way 
and the one with a picture of a mom in a superhero outfit in a phone booth-looking glass box with an ax, captioned: In case of emergency, break glass
either concept of which you could borrow for your handmade card. 😉 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I made that comment in March. 🙂 On Facebook, though, I think. That it's like a nightmarish advent calendar. 

I love how we supposedly had proof of Aliens, and they just noped out of here. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

3 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

In other news, I'm now endeavoring to pull off Mother's Day without going into a store.

Have you looked at restaurants or grocery stores for pre-prepared Mother's Day meals?  Quite a few restaurants in my area are putting together a mother's day meal that can be picked up a day or so in advance and reheated the day of. Many of the items aren't normally on their menus either so you might find something special that way.

7 hours ago, falltime said:

I wish more places mentioned to protect your eyes. This graphic was not one of those, the text under it just mentioned to wear a mask in public to cover mouth and nose. The other stuff they mentioned was stay home, keep you distance, wash you hands, disinfect surfaces. Edit: forgot to include it also mentioned to avoid touching you face.

I think it's because a mask isn't protecting you; it's protecting people from you.  I know if you touch your eye, the virus can get in.  I don't know if you want through an area where some of the aerosoled virus is hanging around, if it'll get in your eyes that way.  If someone spits or coughs in your eye, then glasses probably will help.

Just when shelter in place orders are starting to be lifted, and people are losing their shit over having to still shelter in place and/or wear masks, 2020 presents: murder hornets!

And they've first been noticed in Washington State.  Just like Covid.  Ack!

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Anyone else starting to think the environment has become 'self aware' and is getting pissed we're not staying inside? Just when shelter in place orders are starting to be lifted, and people are losing their shit over having to still shelter in place and/or wear masks, 2020 presents: murder hornets!

Great!  That's what, two of the four horseman of the apocalypse and we're not even in June yet??

Time to cash in that 401k and spend it quickly on hookers and blow!  

😜

• Like 3
  • Laugh 9

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Have you looked at restaurants or grocery stores for pre-prepared Mother's Day meals?  Quite a few restaurants in my area are putting together a mother's day meal that can be picked up a day or so in advance and reheated the day of. Many of the items aren't normally on their menus either so you might find something special that way.

There's a local Italian place that's been around for 99 years and is one of our favorites. I looked on their website to see if they were even open and they are doing a special Mother's Day menu that feeds 4-5 people (salad, bread, appetizer, and then you can choose one of two pastas and one of three entrees) for $100 (which we could easily spend there ordering separately for the four of us). You have to order by Saturday afternoon and pick up between 1 and 4 on Sunday. I suggested this to my brother because I'd rather not cook (or the attendant grocery shopping). They closed on March 25th and reopened on April 7th with a limited take-out menu and curbside pickup (which they say they have an efficient system for but don't describe how it works...).

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

There's a local Italian place that's been around for 99 years and is one of our favorites. I looked on their website to see if they were even open and they are doing a special Mother's Day menu that feeds 4-5 people (salad, bread, appetizer, and then you can choose one of two pastas and one of three entrees) for $100 (which we could easily spend there ordering separately for the four of us). You have to order by Saturday afternoon and pick up between 1 and 4 on Sunday. I suggested this to my brother because I'd rather not cook (or the attendant grocery shopping). They closed on March 25th and reopened on April 7th with a limited take-out menu and curbside pickup (which they say they have an efficient system for but don't describe how it works...).

That sounds nice. 
Of course, for most of us moms and grandmoms and work moms, chocolate is good. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

33 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

That sounds nice. 
Of course, for most of us moms and grandmoms and work moms, chocolate is good. 

I have a brownie recipe I've been wanting to try. We'll see if I manage to do that on Saturday.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Costco has flower delivery and there are website that sell (and send) fancy cards. Costco flowers seem reasonable. The cards are a bit pricey but if your (general) mom loves cards its an option

I used Costco.com last week to arrange flowers for everyone I send them to for Mother’s Day (they will be delivered Saturday).  I was impressed w their selection and prices.  

Years ago I used to use ProFlowers but in the last...hmm...5 or more years their qualify has declined, shipping prices way up etc. They used to be such a great deal.

Edited by Kelly

Well, at least the murder hornet memes and tweets are entertaining.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 22

For the Nirvana, et. al. fans - listen to the Lithium channel on Sirius XM Radio - you can't listen for an hour without hearing one or more of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, or Soundgarden. (Not that I'm complaining; it just amuses me that every time I turn it on in my car, I seem to hear at least one of them, no matter how short my trip.)

I like that channel for the most part, but I wish there was also a dedicated grunge channel. Or, oooh--a combo of grunge and late '80s/early '90s goth!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2

Thanks for the "murder hornet" jokes.  My mind is still so blown that bees - which is who the hornets attack, not us (other than defensive attacks) - now have yet another predator here when colony collapse is already at critical levels (and since the food constituting about 90 percent of the world's nutrition is pollinated by bees, that's a big fucking deal) that I need some way to laugh at these crazy times we're living in.  Imagining hornet paranoia keeping idiots at home does help.

This also gave me a chuckle:

• Like 4
  • Laugh 17

A couple of days ago I had to go pick up some meds, and needed to fill up the car. And gas was $1.33/gallon! I really can't remember the last time it was that low. This started me thinking, if it weren't for the pandemic, people would be paying a lot more attention to the free fall state of gas prices right now. Which in turn led me to wonder, what other things are we paying less attention to while the pandemic is front and center? Or paying more attention to? For me, I've been checking local news almost daily, when I routinely ignore it most of the time, simply to see how many new cases/deaths there are and what restrictions are in place. OTOH, I'm not bothering with some news coverage because I'm primarily flipping between reading about the pandemic, watching Netflix, watching music videos, and reading post-apocalyptic fiction. In short, if it's not critical news or entertainment, I'm not paying much attention. For the music videos, I'm mostly watching reaction videos of younger people to older classics, many of which are hella funny, such as a 20-30-something guy listening to Stairway to Heaven, and commenting that he now understands why baby boomers are often not thrilled with today's music. The post-apocalyptic fiction I find reassuring in a weird way, because with it, the situations are usually much more dire than what we're facing. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Thanks for the "murder hornet" jokes.  My mind is still so blown that bees - which is who the hornets attack, not us (other than defensive attacks) - now have yet another predator here when colony collapse is already at critical levels (and since the food constituting about 90 percent of the world's nutrition is pollinated by bees, that's a big fucking deal) that I need some way to laugh at these crazy times we're living in.  Imagining hornet paranoia keeping idiots at home does help.

This also gave me a chuckle:

I only know L&O, whereas you know Law, but  shouldn’t it be:  
  Murder Hornets, but with the right lawyer, Bee Manslaughter. 

9 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

needed to fill up the car. And gas was $1.33/gallon! I really can't remember the last time it was that low.

Here it was 2001. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

A couple of days ago I had to go pick up some meds, and needed to fill up the car. And gas was $1.33/gallon! I really can't remember the last time it was that low. This started me thinking, if it weren't for the pandemic, people would be paying a lot more attention to the free fall state of gas prices right now. Which in turn led me to wonder, what other things are we paying less attention to while the pandemic is front and center? Or paying more attention to? For me, I've been checking local news almost daily, when I routinely ignore it most of the time, simply to see how many new cases/deaths there are and what restrictions are in place. OTOH, I'm not bothering with some news coverage because I'm primarily flipping between reading about the pandemic, watching Netflix, watching music videos, and reading post-apocalyptic fiction. In short, if it's not critical news or entertainment, I'm not paying much attention. For the music videos, I'm mostly watching reaction videos of younger people to older classics, many of which are hella funny, such as a 20-30-something guy listening to Stairway to Heaven, and commenting that he now understands why baby boomers are often not thrilled with today's music. The post-apocalyptic fiction I find reassuring in a weird way, because with it, the situations are usually much more dire than what we're facing. 

I've actually become less obsessive about watching the news as time has gone by. I listen to several podcasts that cover the topic (some dedicated to it, some just general news/politics that are obviously focusing heavily on it right now), so I figure if anything big happens I will hear it on there. I should probably pay a little more attention to the local stuff that might affect me more directly, though. But my "local" news affiliates are all out of NYC so even watching the 6:00 news focuses mostly on that area (which is about a 2 hour drive from me, with normal traffic levels). 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bastet said:

I agree with you that CCD is a big fucking deal, however there has been a significant decline in colony loss due to CCD since ~ 2008.

(source: https://www.epa.gov/pollinator-protection/colony-collapse-disorder)

It's still a problem and I'm not trying to minimize it by any means. 

Not all invasive species thrive to the extent they did in their native habitat.  If you're old enough you'll remember all the hand wringing and hair pulling over 'Killer Bees'.  They were very aggressive African bees coming into the US from Mexico via South America.  That was over 40 years ago and today there's hardly any mention of them.  

I'm hopeful that there will be a concerted effort to control/eradicate these little buggers.  Also, there may well be a natural predator here in the US that they've never dealt with before...  Genocide Falcons?  

• Like 7

On 5/2/2020 at 10:53 AM, isalicat said:

🙂 I have found what feels like a "theme" for the pandemic for me at least: Faure's Pavane.

Ha! I was just yesterday telling my friend (via email) that someday my 9-year-old son is going to think back about this lockdown time and wonder why his memory of the pandemic has a Willie Nelson soundtrack. It is just me and my son home together all day Monday to Friday while my husband is at work and I do tend to hit a Willie loop and reloop it 🙂

• Like 7

What really scares me about this lock down and what keeps me awake at night is the reported massive drop in child abuse reports to child protection. When children are in school their teachers and coaches and school staff SEE the children. A large percentage of calls to investigate abuse or neglect come from teachers and school support staff. These children have been behind closed doors for days and weeks and now months at a time. Shudder to think.

Edited by GoldaVining · Reason: clarity
  • Sad 18

8 hours ago, suomi said:

"A huge archive of MTV’s first decade was just put online.

This might be the biggest trove of old MTV broadcasts we’ve ever had."

https://www.deseret.com/entertainment/2020/5/4/21247260/mtv-first-decade-archive-episodes-broadcast-online-where-to-download-internet-music-videos-1980s

I cannot stop looking through this! The archive itself, I mean, not just the MTV parts.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, GoldaVining said:

What really scares me about this lock down and what keeps me awake at night is the reported massive drop in child abuse reports to child protection. When children are in school their teachers and coaches and school staff SEE the children. A large percentage of calls to investigate abuse or neglect come from teachers and school support staff. These children have been behind closed doors for days and weeks and now months at a time. Shudder to think.

Not only that but many children depend of school meal programs as the only food they get at all.

• Useful 2
  • Sad 3

While that's true, a significant number of areas are still distributing those school meals, either with curbside pickup at the school or other location, or I've also heard of some districts keeping busdrivers on the payroll by having them deliver the meals.

• Like 13
  • Useful 2

10 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

While that's true, a significant number of areas are still distributing those school meals, either with curbside pickup at the school or other location, or I've also heard of some districts keeping busdrivers on the payroll by having them deliver the meals.

That's a great idea.

• Like 1

Our county is giving 3 meals a day to kids. Same for my stepdaughter in Florida.

• Like 7

An all-star lineup will be celebrating the Class of 2020. Here is some additional information from ABC News

"Graduate Together: America Honors the High School Class of 2020" will be a 1-hour multimedia event featuring several guests, and it will air on Saturday, May 16, on ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC as well as other broadcast and digital streaming partners, according to a press release.

Special guests will include LeBron James, Malala Yousafzai, the Jonas Brothers, Yara Shahidi, Bad Bunny, Lena Waithe, Pharrell Williams, Megan Rapinoe, H.E.R. and Ben Platt, and the event is being hosted by XQ Institute, The LeBron James Family Foundation and The Entertainment Industry Foundation.

I will be tuning in. I'm sure the words of encouragement these speakers will be sharing can be applicable to my 40something self, too.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 12
  • Laugh 1

11 hours ago, suomi said:

"A huge archive of MTV’s first decade was just put online.

This might be the biggest trove of old MTV broadcasts we’ve ever had."

That sounds shady. Because I know the Internet Archive is now distributing books that they don't have the rights to.

The Authors Guild is appalled by the Internet Archive’s (IA) announcement that it is now making millions of in-copyright books freely available online without restriction on its Open Library site under the guise of a National Emergency Library. IA has no rights whatsoever to these books, much less to give them away indiscriminately without consent of the publisher or author. We are shocked that the Internet Archive would use the Covid-19 epidemic as an excuse to push copyright law further out to the edges, and in doing so, harm authors, many of whom are already struggling.

• Useful 4
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Good!  Distributing meals is great (and tragically necessary), but I worry about the kids who take the bus to school and don't otherwise have a way to get there to pick up food.

This whole situation is exposing so many holes in what is allegedly the world's greatest country.  Holes that it shouldn't take a pandemic to expose.

59 minutes ago, xaxat said:

That sounds shady. Because I know the Internet Archive is now distributing books that they don't have the rights to.

In the interest of fairness, the Internet Archive's response is here:

https://blog.archive.org/2020/03/30/internet-archive-responds-why-we-released-the-national-emergency-library/

This appears to be a continuation with a variation of the e-book fight that's been going on for a while.

One thing the Internet Archive does that I would hope would not be controversial is to archive versions of websites over time, because websites can be all too ephemeral.  If you ask me, you shouldn't be able to put shit out there and then take it back without a trace.

As for the MTV stuff, if Beavis & Butt-head aren't providing insightful commentary on the videos, they don't hold much appeal to me. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

The mention of libraries made me go check my account, because I have a book that was originally due in late March. They had extended the due date to May 1st for all items that were out at the time they closed. Now it's June 1st. 

• Like 2

I live on a school bus route, and the bus goes by every day at around lunchtime, distributing food to the kids who live in the neighborhood.

And I have four library books sitting on my coffee table, waiting for the library to open so I can return them.  They're meant to be closed until at least June 10.

Meanwhile, I get to go to my office tomorrow briefly to pick up a few things to bring back home.  It's going to be so weird!  And maybe a little creepy.  They're limiting the number of people who can be there at a time (there was a sign-up sheet!), and I have to wear a mask.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I live on a school bus route, and the bus goes by every day at around lunchtime, distributing food to the kids who live in the neighborhood.

And I have four library books sitting on my coffee table, waiting for the library to open so I can return them.  They're meant to be closed until at least June 10.

Meanwhile, I get to go to my office tomorrow briefly to pick up a few things to bring back home.  It's going to be so weird!  And maybe a little creepy.  They're limiting the number of people who can be there at a time (there was a sign-up sheet!), and I have to wear a mask.

Doesn't your library have an exterior drop box?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Doesn't your library have an exterior drop box?

It does, but when I called to get my PIN for the electronic library, they told me just to keep the books until they reopen.  I have not been happy with the electronic library, either.

• Useful 1
  • Sad 1

Most libraries are extending the due dates and forgiving fines for anything that was overdue at the time of the lockdown. Since the buildings are closed, there's no one there to clear out a drop box.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Our library started delivery of requested books to cars parked outside. I was so excited when they announced that service! I picked up 3 books yesterday and returned the 3 that I had checked out before the lockdown began.

• Like 7

My problem is that I'm a browser.  I never know what I want to read until I see something interesting on the shelf.  I find it challenging to browse with the e-library, too.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

My problem is that I'm a browser.  I never know what I want to read until I see something interesting on the shelf.  I find it challenging to browse with the e-library, too.

I'm with you.  I even liked browsing through card catalogs, so you can imagine how challenging things are for me. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

As do I.

That's why I use: https://www.bustle.com/articles/20500-10-websites-to-help-you-find-your-new-favorite-book

They're not perfect but they do help quite a bit, especially 'Good Reads', imo.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

They're limiting the number of people who can be there at a time (there was a sign-up sheet!), and I have to wear a mask.

I don't think my office is limiting the number of people (though there weren't more than a dozen in the office area when I was there last week, and at least two of them left by lunchtime) but we do have to tell the big boss of our department if we plan to go in. I think partly just because he wants to know who's there, but also in case there's a last minute decision to close the building (which they have done twice so far).

48 minutes ago, ABay said:

Most libraries are extending the due dates and forgiving fines for anything that was overdue at the time of the lockdown. Since the buildings are closed, there's no one there to clear out a drop box.

Mine also extended expiration of library cards that have expired since September (until July 2nd, unless things go on longer, I assume), because you have to show your license or other proof that you still live in the county to renew it, so those people can still use ebooks and other digital resources. The drop boxes were open in the beginning (but due dates were still extended), but they had been closed by the time I was done with my book. 

18 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I usually go to the library with specific titles I'm looking for but then end up browsing at least the shelves around them.

4 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm with you.  I even liked browsing through card catalogs, so you can imagine how challenging things are for me. 

I love card catalogs (though I don't think I've actually used one since elementary (maybe middle) school. They had one in the background of Leonard and Sheldon's apartment on the Big Bang Theory. If I were on that show that would be the set piece I'd want to keep.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Meanwhile, I get to go to my office tomorrow briefly to pick up a few things to bring back home.  It's going to be so weird!  And maybe a little creepy.  They're limiting the number of people who can be there at a time (there was a sign-up sheet!), and I have to wear a mask

I’m glad to read about responsible office management. 

Today I went to the store during senior/at-risk hours. It was nerve wracking for me, but not as bad as my InstaCart order. I got 2 loaves of the no-sugar, low carbohydrate bread. I guess InstaCart works better for people with more flexible diets and budgets. I might be getting a partial refund from InstaCart, but I’m not expecting it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Today I went to the store during senior/at-risk hours. It was nerve wracking for me

Oh my goodness, I hear you. As someone who has an irrational fear of flying, I know what an anxiety attack feels like. Despite mask, disposable gloves, limited people in the store, one way aisles, I have to talk myself down from going into an attack when I go to the store. I'm sure not going to ask my doctor to renew my Lorazepam prescription so I can go to the store.

On a comic note, someone should have video taped me trying reach a bottle of Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice that was too far up and back for me to reach. I ended up stepping on the bottom shelf and hoisting myself up and after about 6 tries finally coaxed that bottle to where I could grab it.

I decided to go midmorning rather than midafternoon today. My reward was (2) 4 packs of toilet paper (there is a 2 limit purchase).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I find goodreads to be a good source of finding books to read.  I’ll go to the page of a random book that I like and it recommends similar books and you can read the description of that book to see if it interests you.  

• Like 5

Thanks for the suggestions on how to find a book if I'm a browser!  (I also used to love the card catalog -- I was very sad when my library did away with it, and if I had room in my house, I would have acquired one of theirs.)

Right now, though, I'm re-reading The Hunger Games in anticipation of the new one coming out soon.

• Like 1