Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Giant Misfit

COVID-19: This Topic Requires No Social Distancing

One indicator that life is beginning to return to normal: Two robocalls on Friday and four today. After none at all for a couple weeks.

Well, it has been said that cockroaches will survive long after humans are gone.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 11

I just found out that my company isn't going to even attempt to partially reopen until at least mid-June which is a huge relief since I have no desire to go back to the office any time soon.  My only worry now is I have 2 doctor's appts in nyc on the same day in the beginning of June, one is my annual physical(the office is currently closed due to Covid-19) and the other is my Botox for Migraine appt, both of which I would have to go into the city for and can't do virtually and I don't know yet what I'm going to do about these.

• Like 8

I just found out I have to go into the office on Friday. Don't know if it will be for the whole day or not. But I will just be at my own desk, probably. 

They closed the building last Friday through Wednesday to deep clean (again) and they are now requiring everyone to go through the employee entrance (I usually go through the main lobby entrance) and are doing temperature checks on the way in. And masks are required. So I guess I better figure out something that will be comfortable all day (they apparently are providing them but I don't know what kind they are and we can wear our own).

Nervous. But I will have to go out in the world someday, right? The longer I stay at home the harder it will be once they deem it safe (or "safe"?). I suspect it will be a long time before I can agree.

At least I'll be able to grab a few things from my desk.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, partofme said:

I just found out that my company isn't going to even attempt to partially reopen until at least mid-June which is a huge relief since I have no desire to go back to the office any time soon. 

That's great to hear. My place published a message last week that they are not "returning to normal schedule" even in places where government officials have announced relaxing of restrictions. Anyone who is currently working from home (we do have essential workers going in to offices) is expected to continue working from home, and should not come into your office unless your manager approves the reason for it.

I'm fortunate that I have the ability to WFH, and that my company sent us home more than a week before state and local restrictions went into effect. We do order take out at least once a week to help support local businesses, but other than some trips to the grocery, we've been home since March 13. Jake is so going to miss us when we have to go back to the office!

• Like 10

So apparently we're going to be the first Province to open daycare and elementary schools off the island on May 11 and daycare and elementary schools in Montreal will be opening May 19. Attendance isn't mandatory. I really do think this is a bad idea. 

Also, tomorrow we will get a plan in regards to the re-opening of the economy. 

Makes me want to hide in bed for the rest of my life

• Like 2
  • Sad 11

14 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I just found out I have to go into the office on Friday. Don't know if it will be for the whole day or not. But I will just be at my own desk, probably. 

They closed the building last Friday through Wednesday to deep clean (again) and they are now requiring everyone to go through the employee entrance (I usually go through the main lobby entrance) and are doing temperature checks on the way in. And masks are required. So I guess I better figure out something that will be comfortable all day (they apparently are providing them but I don't know what kind they are and we can wear our own).

Nervous. But I will have to go out in the world someday, right? The longer I stay at home the harder it will be once they deem it safe (or "safe"?). I suspect it will be a long time before I can agree.

At least I'll be able to grab a few things from my desk.

Be sure to bring some water and something to eat. Be careful out there.❤️

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Be sure to bring some water and something to eat. Be careful out there.❤️

Yeah, I don't want to have to touch anything more than absolutely necessary (also the cafeteria and vending machines are closed so there will be no food if I don't bring it myself). I'll bring a sandwich or something I can keep in my lunch bag with an ice pack at my desk, and tea in my steel travel cup (which keeps it still too hot to drink even after my half hour drive) and maybe my water bottle (though we do have a motion-sensor water fountain so I can fill my cup without touching anything). 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, suomi said:

One indicator that life is beginning to return to normal: Two robocalls on Friday and four today. After none at all for a couple weeks.

Well, it has been said that cockroaches will survive long after humans are gone.

That hadn't even registered, when I checked my phone: I had two calls from unfamiliar numbers. 

I might be avoiding the internet for a week or so. I keep seeing comments about the projections for all of this being wrong, and I've once again pointed out that the lockdown did as intended, curbed the spread, and some knew that others would turn around and use that against the experts and governors they've disagreed with for the past six weeks or so. Continuing to engage is like deliberately bashing my head against a brick wall. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

13 minutes ago, Anela said:

Continuing to engage is like deliberately bashing my head against a brick wall. 

Yes, it is.  Please stop, for your own sake.  They'll continue apace with or without you.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, partofme said:

My only worry now is I have 2 doctor's appts in nyc on the same day in the beginning of June, one is my annual physical(the office is currently closed due to Covid-19) and the other is my Botox for Migraine appt, both of which I would have to go into the city for and can't do virtually and I don't know yet what I'm going to do about these.

For myself, unless it's an emergency, acute pain, an accident, I will avoid doctor's offices and hospitals for now. I'm fairly certain I caught this at the doctors since I had the typical mild symptoms 2 weeks after my appointment, and about a week before anyone here took this seriously including myself.

I have migraines too, so I understand if that needs to be done on a schedule but an annual physical can be postponed a few weeks I would think.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, partofme said:

My only worry now is I have 2 doctor's appts in nyc on the same day in the beginning of June, one is my annual physical(the office is currently closed due to Covid-19) and the other is my Botox for Migraine appt, both of which I would have to go into the city for and can't do virtually and I don't know yet what I'm going to do about these.

Is there a way you can leave a message about rescheduling with your doctors @partofme?  I am in NYC and have rescheduled the eye doctor (for the second time) and my endocrinologist (for osteoporosis) office visits to the very end of June, and my dentist to mid July.  I spoke to the eye doctor's office (actually they called me) and left messages either through web portals or email for the others.  I don't know how things will be then but late April or early May was clearly much too soon for me, and none of mine were urgent.

By the way I got these very cute home made masks on Etsy.  They are 2 sided but I think both sides are very nice:

rILmtyO.jpg

• Like 5

On Sunday I went to the store and a lady sneezed into her bare hand. She had a cardigan on, she couldn't use that?!

I'm a novice sewer. I've had my sewing machine for a few years but I hadn't made anything with it, I don't even remember where I left the manual for it. I actual thought I had broke it years ago because the foot/lever thing wouldn't go up. Anyway, so I decided I was going to make a mask as my first project. A simple rectangle one with no pleats. What a disaster. The fabric I choose to use was thick, I didn't have much control with it - I had to undo it a few times. I didn't remove a pin in time so I broke a needle. It took me like an hour and a half to finish it.

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 5

On Sunday I was doing my social-distanced X2 (12 feet) brisk walks around the park, but I got a late start (9 a.m.) and it was warmer (50°F) so there were a lot of stupid people, including a man and his small son (about 3 years old) who had a loud cough and a runny nose that the father was wiping. The father was encouraging the son to climb on benches and jump off. The son was wiping his nose with his hands and then wiping his hands on the benches. 

• Surprise 4
  • Sad 5

Well, yay. As of last night I finally have masks that fit me. I'll spare the deets of the too-small masks I bought off Etsy, the drawbacks of using a neck gaiter as a mask, and my fails at making non-sewn masks (I don't own a sewing machine). 

Thanks to a post somewhere around here - I think in this topic - I ordered some nonmedical masks from SnowJoe. Then I saw on the news that a local tie company has switched to mask production so I ordered a couple of washable masks from them. 

Both orders were delivered last night. Yay! All the masks fit well, and I think will stay on my face without constant fiddling. I've washed and dried the cloth masks. The mask situation is one of those minor life things that can loom large in my mind when I'm at home so much.

• Like 11

13 hours ago, forumfish said:

Well, Texas will be partially open for business come Friday. I'll refrain from any political statements, but I have to share this from our daily paper because it will make you laugh (Abbott is our governor):

"For those who say it’s too soon to end the stay-at-home order, Abbott said, “You have every right to choose your own pathway in life. You have ultimate control of your own personal safety. And so, if you feel like you don’t want to get out and potentially expose yourself, just continue to stay home."

So glad I have permission to be safe! *rolls eyes* Things in the Fishbowl will not change -- if things are better (not worse) in a month, we may relax a bit. For now, I'm still limiting my errands and wearing a mask and gloves when I do have to go out.

I live in Texas also and I work retail. I cannot stay at home for my own personal safety because I have this funny need to eat and have a roof over my head. We have to open up sooner or later and I am a little nervous about this. I will wear a mask but I cannot tell my customers they have to wear a mask. Only time will tell if it is two soon or not.

• Like 9
  • Sad 6

My mom said she had a three pack of washable masks that she ordered from Walmart's website (made in the USA!). She said I could have one, so I can get it before I have to go to work on Friday (I don't work with the public and should mostly be in my own cubicle but masks are required; don't know if that includes while sitting alone at my desk where people can easily stay away). Hopefully it fits well (if they fit her it should be fine, I think). I also have an old comforter that I need to get rid of; I was thinking of using some of the fabric and trying to make some no-sew ones for myself as well. It's reversible and the one side is thicker fabric than the other, but I think it's all cotton; 2-3 layers of the thinner side I think will still be breathable. It's old and falling apart (and the edges of the light blue side are all yellowed and gross-looking) so no one's going to want it except maybe for a dog bed (which is too bad because I love that comforter; I'm one of those chronically cold people and it's nice and cozy).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I live in Texas also and I work retail. I cannot stay at home for my own personal safety because I have this funny need to eat and have a roof over my head. We have to open up sooner or later and I am a little nervous about this. I will wear a mask but I cannot tell my customers they have to wear a mask. Only time will tell if it is two soon or not.

Yeah it is funny how he says it is a choice but really if we want to keep our jobs and get a paycheck, we don't have a choice. I'm essential too and have continued working here in TX (luckily I got moved into an office by myself at work) so I am fairly *safe* or so I tell myself. But I'm still anxious every day and wear my mask and hope for the best. I am still not going to be leaving the house on the weekends unless it is necessary and I hope our fellow Texans do the same. In my opinion it is too early but I hope I am wrong!

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I also live in Texas, (DFW), and I agree with you completely.  Like you I need to eat and have bills to pay.  The $1200 stimulus was nice but it only goes so far. 

It's important to note that every major city in Texas is spread out over a very large area compared to many cities in the east.  Our population density is a fraction that of eastern cities. (DFW pop. ~ 7.6M / NYC pop. ~ 8.4M / area of DFW ~ 9,200 sq. mi. / area of NYC ~ 300 sq. mi.)

There's too much 'group think / one size fits all' when it comes to these lockdowns.  

We still need to be careful, maintain social distancing and avoid unnecessary outings, but we're not in the same boat that NYC is. 

• Like 6

Roy Cooper, governor of North Carolina, announced a couple of days ago that schools in the state would remain closed for the rest of this school year, leading to this:

• Like 2
  • Laugh 19

14 hours ago, roseha said:

Is there a way you can leave a message about rescheduling with your doctors @partofme?  I am in NYC and have rescheduled the eye doctor (for the second time) and my endocrinologist (for osteoporosis) office visits to the very end of June, and my dentist to mid July.  I spoke to the eye doctor's office (actually they called me) and left messages either through web portals or email for the others.  I don't know how things will be then but late April or early May was clearly much too soon for me, and none of mine were urgent.

I might try, but my doctors offices usually book out months in advance so I'm not sure if it will work.  I had been planning to book an appt with my gyn as well, sorta glad I didn't get around to that.

• Like 1

So I misread and my dad ordered masks but they're not delivered yet and then he just told me they might not get there until Friday now, which doesn't help me for work that day. But my mom was able to get some disposable masks (she said she hand-washed one but I don't know if that affects its effectiveness or not) so she gave me two when she just dropped off the bread she got me yesterday.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

So I misread and my dad ordered masks but they're not delivered yet and then he just told me they might not get there until Friday now, which doesn't help me for work that day. But my mom was able to get some disposable masks (she said she hand-washed one but I don't know if that affects its effectiveness or not) so she gave me two when she just dropped off the bread she got me yesterday.

The mask is just blocking your droplets of, lets call it what it is, spittle from ejecting,  Now it's not quite as clear cut as if your can see it come out, but even worst case, it's going to divert most of it from coming out in a projectile fashion versus just slowly leaking out.  So if blocks both your mouth and nose completely, and liquid doesn't just run through it unobstructed, it's doing something.  None of these masks, short of a N95, are going to do the reverse and block stuff coming in.  Or rather, there are lots of masks off eBay and Amazon that block stuff like dust and pollen, using with a little carbon filter in a little sleeve in front of your mouth, and those will help a tad, but not completely... since viruses?  Smaller than dust or pollen. 

In other words?  Remember, it's protecting other people from you... not you from them.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2

19 hours ago, falltime said:

A simple rectangle one with no pleats. What a disaster. The fabric I choose to use was thick, I didn't have much control with it - I had to undo it a few times. I didn't remove a pin in time so I broke a needle. It took me like an hour and a half to finish it.

Don’t feel bad, Falltime, the first one I made took me at least 2 hours.  The subsequent ones have still taken me around an hour; the one my cat helped with took closer to 3 hours. Then there was the one I ”sewed“ without bobbin thread.  And forget about ironing them - my cats think the ironing board is a surf board and like to “hang ten” on it.

I can’t believe some people actually find sewing enjoyable.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Laugh 15

12 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Don’t feel bad, Falltime, the first one I made took me at least 2 hours.  The subsequent ones have still taken me around an hour; the one my cat helped with took closer to 3 hours. Then there was the one I ”sewed“ without bobbin thread.  And forget about ironing them - my cats think the ironing board is a surf board and like to “hang ten” on it.

I can’t believe some people actually find sewing enjoyable.

They go MUCH faster as an assembly line project, one or two masks will always take longer.  I spent almost an entire day making just six masks.  It’s not a pattern I would ever repeat, and trying to slice up wide elastic into sizes I could use was very frustrating.  If only I had stocked up on narrow elastic!  Today I made just two, trying yet another new-to-me pattern.  I do enjoy sewing though. 

21 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:
40 minutes ago, ThereButFor said:

trying to slice up wide elastic into sizes I could use was very frustrating. 

I had some wide elastic on hand that I sliced very carefully, as in perfectly all the way down one of the ribs.  It's now raveling, even though I'm handwashing the masks gently.  I'm bummed.

Surprisingly, cutting strips of old knit t-shirts or socks works well for mask "elastics." Someone on one of the countless YouTube videos I've watched claimed you could wash cut t-shirtting and it wouldn't ravel. I didn't believe it, but it worked! The terry-sock ear-loops are the only ones that don't bug me. 

• Useful 3

1 hour ago, forumfish said:

For my fellow Texans -- I hope my comment wasn't seen as judgmental. I know there are so many who are struggling and have no choice but to go back to work as soon as possible. I plan to stay in as much as I can, not only to protect my high-risk family, but also to help protect the people who have to work in public right now. I hope people will still try to keep a safe distance and cover their faces when they do go out, but I am not optimistic.

I understand your concerns completely.  As a high-risk person myself I share many of them.  I sincerely hope that you and your family will come out the other end of this unscathed.  

That said, there are millions of people here in Texas, and all around the US, that have limited options.  Their choices are simple.  Go back to work or find yourself living under a bridge with nothing to eat and no car to drive. 

A harsh reality for those that have been self sufficient and worked all their lives.

There are multiple forces at work here and frustration and anger are setting in on both sides sadly.  

While I personally believe that the overwhelming majority of people have no ill will towards others I'm also aware that there are a few that just don't care or lack the intellectual capacity to fully understand the situation.

Either way, we're all in this together and can hopefully understand the other's point of view to some degree.

All the best from one Texan to another.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Roy Cooper, governor of North Carolina, announced a couple of days ago that schools in the state would remain closed for the rest of this school year, leading to this:

Oh man. Now I am wondering if the Alice show this summer will happen!

• Like 2

Please remember that per the opening post of this topic, it is meant for us to share our stories, how we are being affected, how our community is being affected, and our frustrations and anxieties about what we're facing.

We're all in this together, and this is the place to talk about your experiences.

It is not the place place to discuss conspiracy theories. Nor is it the pace to debunk conspiracy theories. There is the entire rest of the internet to do that. 

• Like 4

The part about dryer sheets (and liquid softener) making towels less absorbent, I've been hearing for years, and had no reason to doubt it.  Flat hair, on the other hand, I wouldn't see as a problem

I have heard this for years too! But considering the non-flat nature of my hair and the fact that I have had the same still-fluffy towels for at least 8 years, I have no reason to believe it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ranger Bob said:

I understand your concerns completely.  As a high-risk person myself I share many of them.  I sincerely hope that you and your family will come out the other end of this unscathed.  

That said, there are millions of people here in Texas, and all around the US, that have limited options.  Their choices are simple.  Go back to work or find yourself living under a bridge with nothing to eat and no car to drive. 

A harsh reality for those that have been self sufficient and worked all their lives.

As another resident of TX, I'm in the same boat of being at higher risk for Covid, but understanding that many people, including some family members, will have no choice but to go back to work when their workplaces reopen.

That said, I think there is some foolish optimism on the part of some governors and so forth, that they can announce the end of stay-at-home orders and suddenly all the businesses will reopen and customers will resume normal shopping habits. In TX, for example, the malls can reopen this Friday but in a limited way. A few big department stores have announced they will reopen for business, but the Dillard's that my DIL works at is still showing as closed through at least Monday, despite the governor's order going into effect this Friday, and as of today, my DIL has still not heard anything about going back to work. Some of the stores and restaurants that closed aren't going to be able to reopen immediately because of challenges around staffing. Although I imagine many employees are waiting to be called back in, some will have found other positions. Finally, just because a state can allow and urge stores and so forth to reopen, they can't order customers to go to those stores. Sure, there will be people who go to malls and restaurants as soon as those places reopen. But there's going to be a ton of people who are hesitant to go shopping for nonessential goods, in places where social distancing may or may not be adequately enforced. On top of that, all the people who've been out of work for a month or longer aren't going to have the discretionary income to do a lot of shopping for nonessentials. 

I'm really curious to see if consumer behavior changes on a long term basis as a result of Covid, or if a  year from now, people will be flocking to malls just like they used to. 

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Like 13

It's weird how you remember things as they were and that suddenly stops everything else in its tracks. I don't how to say this, but whenever we go to Connecticut for diners, Mystic, and Mohegan, I remember the same people there who would say hi to us. At the buffet station in Mohegan Sun, there is this really nice old Ukrainian woman that that does the omelets and I always say hi to. So sweet that she recognizes what I want in a omelet with no mistakes at all. And I tip her so nice for that. That sometimes gets me every time I go there. At diners, I feel obligated to thank all the work they do and they never steered me wrong. My favorite Bistro is Tartine's in the city of Manhattan where I have the best  Chicken Pot Pie and deserts. The same chef and owner there since I can remember when I was a teenager. Dad got me hooked to that place. Thanks, Dad!  Now, when you realize everything became the new normal, you still feel like you are not use to it yet. You still have these urges to go and realize it is still there. So frustrating.

To those out there, I pray everything we back to normal. We have to cherish some memories, right?

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

On 4/27/2020 at 6:39 PM, Anela said:

I might be avoiding the internet for a week or so. I keep seeing comments about the projections for all of this being wrong, and I've once again pointed out that the lockdown did as intended, curbed the spread, and some knew that others would turn around and use that against the experts and governors they've disagreed with for the past six weeks or so. Continuing to engage is like deliberately bashing my head against a brick wall. 

It's infuriating. They're like children who don't understand cause and effect, or that you can't prove a negative, or think that because you don't see it, it must not be there. I see them posting things like, "We're all sitting inside with our thumbs up our asses and I don't see anyone dropping dead in front of my face, do you?!"

Just today I saw a post that said, "Why aren't the homeless on the street dying en masse from the virus if it's so deadly?" OK, so (1) how do you know they aren't? Do you think the news is going to cover that day to day? (2) Do they typically travel around in clumps of 50? Do you often see a bunch of non-homeless people crowding around them? I know there are sometimes areas that are "colonized" until people are run off by police but often the homeless "on the street" are alone. And (3), are the numbers of people who have died not enough for you? Oh, and (4) shut the fuck up. I know one person who has had 4 family members die over the last 2 weeks.

Reminds me of those memes or whatever that say shit like, "While all you sheep are worried about [issue X], this soldier did such-and-such and not a word about it on social media!!!" Then where/how did you find (and blindly believe) it, then?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 22
  • Useful 1

12 hours ago, Ranger Bob said:

But isn't that what having unemployment benefits is for?  Especially with the bonus that people laid off because of the pandemic are getting?  Laid-off people can be paid to stay at home and not spread the virus, and in the case of very low wage workers, the bonus can mean that they aren't, as is usually the case with unemployment benefits, getting benefits that are less than their wages.  And everybody on unemployment is getting more than if they'd gotten laid off last year.

Now, I don't know if the unemployment system has started sending out checks, but there was stimulus money before that, which would buy time until unemployment checks start coming in. 

And really, I don't think "go back to work" is that simple.  I know I'm not going to be going out and spending money on even remotely discretionary items, or strolling around stores and maybe making an impulse buy.  Some will (including the people I saw leaving Goodwill with carts full of home decorating stuff last week), but not all, and the jobs people had before the pandemic were based on "all" people doing what they were doing before.  That's going to change. 

So there's no guarantee that the job people get right now will be around long term, and if it goes away, that person is going to be right back where he started and he will have exposed himself and others to the virus in the meantime.

But that's employees.  I haven't been able to wrap my head around business owners.

Or, we could all just cut to the chase and go to work for Amazon, where we're all going to end up anyway.  Until we're replaced by robots.

15 hours ago, forumfish said:

I hope people will still try to keep a safe distance and cover their faces when they do go out, but I am not optimistic.

At least you're in Austin, where I assume people are somewhat compliant.  I'm in a red part of Arizona, and there are some who are doing what they can, but that doesn't include unmasked people strolling around the touristy downtown area, clogging up the sidewalks.  Fortunately, it's possible to stay away from them entirely by not getting out of the car, so I'm not affected.  Or am I?  What if one of the strollers picks it up and takes it home to their son who works in a grocery store, where I have to shop? 

And speaking of, I'm not sure which delivery service it was (they were using a red insulated bag), but I encountered two people working together on one cart, both without masks.  It's a little hard to get worked up about the dangerous conditions they suffer when they do nothing to help, other than be the ones who get paid to do the shopping for people who can't or won't go to the store themselves. 

For those who can't, I get it.  For those who won't, if you're that conscientious, I think we'd all be better off with you in the store than them.

• Like 3

My daughter and I heard about the DreamLab app while watching the "One World: Together at Home" program that aired April 18. We both immediately downloaded the app and activated it.

The DreamLab app was originally developed and put in use in 2017 by Imperial College London* in partnership with Australian cell phone company Vodafone for cancer research, and has been very successful. It's been downloaded worldwide. As the COVID-19 outbreak escalated, a team of epidemiologists from Imperial College London added their COVID-19 research to the app.

In essence, the app harnesses the computing power of your cellphone - which combined with tens of thousands (or hopefully, hundreds of thousands) other users - creating a supercomputer to more quickly perform the necessary calculations to determine which existing drugs, or combinations of drugs, are most promising as effective treatments for COVID-19.

To learn more about the app and what it does, see:

New COVID-19 Project Will Power Smartphones

In the U.S., DreamLab will only activate when your phone is charging. If you ever charge your phone when you're on data (for example, when you're in your car), in the app settings you can turn off data usage so you won't have to worry about the app activating and using data when your phone is charging away from WiFi.

My daughter and I have had the app installed on our phones for a little more than a week and it has never activated when the phone wasn't charging (but you can manually activate it when the phone isn't being charged if you like, as long as your phone has at least an 80% charge).

Neither of us have experienced longer charging times when the app is running, and the app automatically stops if your phone gets too warm.

The links to the app for both iPhone and Android:

iPhone and iPad DreamLab app

Android DreamLab app/Play Store

It may be a small thing, but we're both grateful for a way to contribute something towards the effort to develop a successful treatment for COVID-19. The more people who download and activate the app, the more quickly the calculations will be completed, and the sooner potential treatments will be found.

When you install the app, navigate to the "Projects" page, scroll down, and select "Corona-AI".

*It was the epidemiologists from Imperial College London who published  the initial projections for the impact of COVID-19 on each country (without mitigation) we all heard about at the beginning of the outbreak.

Edited by TwirlyGirly · Reason: Commas! Spelling! Clarification!
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

53 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But isn't that what having unemployment benefits is for?  Especially with the bonus that people laid off because of the pandemic are getting?  Laid-off people can be paid to stay at home and not spread the virus, and in the case of very low wage workers, the bonus can mean that they aren't, as is usually the case with unemployment benefits, getting benefits that are less than their wages.  And everybody on unemployment is getting more than if they'd gotten laid off last year.

Unemployment benefits are a fraction of what the individual was earning and don't come close to providing the necessary funds to satisfy an individuals debt.  It was never designed to do that.  It was designed to provide a little assistance until the individual could find work again, nothing more.

For instance, in TX, weekly unemployment benefits range from a low of $69 to a high of $521. (source: https://www.twc.texas.gov/jobseekers/eligibility-benefit-amounts#benefitAmounts)

So an individual making minimum wage would normally earn $290 a week based on a 40 hour work week.  With unemployment they'd receive $69 a week.  

An individual with a better education and better job who is earning $1500 a week, $78,000 a year (not really that much in this day and age) would get $521, at most, a week on unemployment. 

It is all but impossible to pay your daily living expenses, regardless of 'normal' income level while on unemployment. 

Once again, there are really only two choices for many people. Go back to work or find yourself living under a bridge with nothing to eat and no car.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

I made a vow to myself that I would only go to the store when I was running out of necessities and needed to stock up (and would not go for a few things, when I had a hankering for something, or wanted to try a new recipe).  I should be ashamed of myself because I broke that vow today during a break in the rain (there were few others in the store and I stayed a safe distance from everyone).  On the other hand, I now have a onion-y pot roast in the Crock Pot and lemon bars in the oven. 🙂 

• Like 8
  • Laugh 1

My company has been working on plans to start getting people back into the offices. There will be a lot of things like having A/B/C schedules with home or office to help maintain distance between those who are in the office. Lots of PPE will be available. People who are at higher risks or have issues such as children being kept of school will continue to work from home.  And more stuff like that.  

Every employee will be asked to fill out a survey (or answer a bunch of questions) before they will be let back into the work in the office rotation. As HR was talking about this last one, and gave examples of the types of questions, my brain: "When was the last time you had a haircut? Do your pants still fit?"

• Like 2
  • Laugh 14

So, I went for groceries today and my store (part of a major regional chain) is now requiring facemasks to enter the store - or at least that is what the large signs in the entrance say, and all the employees are wearing both masks and gloves. I have been complying the last two weeks even though I hate wearing a mask - it is uncomfortable, hard to breath and it wrecks my hair (okay, the latter is just one of my issues - everything wrecks my hair, especially wind and looking at it too hard). I get in line (six feet back!) to check out and the woman in front of me barely has any clothes on (well it is warm and sunny here) but is also not wearing a mask and is talking vociferously to the cashier about her trip to Idaho blah blah blah. When she was done and it was my turn, I asked the cashier why they were supposedly requiring masks on all customers but apparently not even vaguely enforcing it....she was both apologetic and also pretty pissed off - she said all the cashiers have been complaining about this continually to store management with no result and she lives with immuno-compromised people but still has to show up to work and just "deal with it". I'm not interested in turning into some sort of no-mask shaming person but really, peeps - the signs are clear enough and its not a lot to ask in a *grocery store*!

• Like 4
  • Sad 9

A couple of weeks ago I stocked up on unsweetened soy milk at Target at 7 a.m. (opening time) on a Monday, which is not reserved for seniors or those with with comprised immune systems. Target shows online if items are available at a store and I knew likely it would not be available on the following day. A main problem with the regular day was that there were a lot of employees stocking the shelves at that time and day. They were ready to move 6 feet away if they noticed someone, but they were, of course, focused on getting their jobs done. And the non-senior shoppers were not masked or mindful of social distancing.
So I realized that it’s best for me to shop at the "senior" time and days. 

I've considered delivery, but it's really hard for delivery people to find my door in the back of the duplex. I am also concerned about more opportunities for the food to be coated with virus --for instance, if it gets left at my neighbor's side door, which is used by a carefree, careless 20 year old who goes out with his friends every night. Decontaminating items is tricky for me.

Tuesdays and Thursdays the local grocery store has morning hours for seniors and at-risk, but tomorrow is April 30, and if I wait until May 1, the Illinois State order will take effect requiring everyone to wear a mask, so I've decided to wait for that, but that means waiting until next Tuesday, or almost a week from now. 

I'm torn between shopping tomorrow during senior hours when people around me will be unmasked (the aisles are pretty narrow) or waiting until next Tuesday, by which time I'll be out of most food. If I decide I cannot wait that long, and I shop on a non-seniors day after May 1 when masks are required, will other shoppers be wearing masks? Nobody will enforce it. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ranger Bob said:

Unemployment benefits are a fraction of what the individual was earning and don't come close to providing the necessary funds to satisfy an individuals debt.  It was never designed to do that.  It was designed to provide a little assistance until the individual could find work again, nothing more.

Yes, that's the design.  But because of the pandemic, everybody is currently getting $600/week extra in unemployment benefits.

So an individual making minimum wage would normally earn $290 a week based on a 40 hour work week.  With unemployment they'd receive $69 a week.  

No, the person who would normally earn $290/week in wages is getting $669/week on unemployment.

An individual with a better education and better job who is earning $1500 a week, $78,000 a year (not really that much in this day and age) would get $521, at most, a week on unemployment.

An individual who normally earns $1500/week would get $1121/week in your example.  Not full wages, but I would think someone with a better education and job would have the opportunity to have a little bit of cushion that a minimum wage employee might not have.

Here's an excerpt from an article about the $600 additional weekly benefit, including the policy behind it and how they came up with $600:

When you add $600 to the national average unemployment payment — $371.88 a week at the end of 2019 — the replacement rate goes from 38 percent to almost exactly 100 percent. In other words, that amount is what it would take for Congress to replace what the average American worker receiving unemployment would have earned.

“I would never two months ago have ever thought of advocating for 100 percent income replacement,” said Michele Evermore, a senior policy analyst at the National Employment Law Project. “But then when the pandemic hit, it was very different. We needed a policy mechanism to do something that unemployment insurance doesn’t usually do, and that’s keep people home.”

Unemployment benefits are typically meant to keep people afloat but stay low enough to incentivize them to find a job. Now, when seeking work may be both fruitless and dangerous, the incentives have nearly reversed.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/23/business/economy/unemployment-benefits-stimulus-coronavirus.html

Edited by StatisticalOutlier · Reason: damn formatting
  • Useful 5

30 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Not trying to talk you out of decon-ing (is that a word?) your purchases, but have you seen this? https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/24/no-need-to-wipe-down-groceries-or-takeout-experts-say-but-do-wash-your-hands/

I still leave nonperishables on a cart inside the door for 3 days, but I have stopped wiping down items before putting them in the fridge/freezer. It saves me some anxiety.

I know, intellectually, that, say, the milk or the bread I got last week is not going to infect me...but I still have trouble. I haven't even convinced myself to put the bread in the breadbox (of course I put the milk in the fridge but I still can't not wash my hands every time I touch it).

• Like 5

When not toiling away on re computer, I've been doing jigsaw puzzles. So has everyone else, apparently, because they are now harder to find than toilet paper. Sure I have 8 left and 2 look impossible but it's like knitters with yarn--it doesn't matter how much you have, it is never enough.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Laid-off people can be paid to stay at home

Unemployment is paid by the employer & state, not the Feds (the bonus may be picked up by the Feds but the initial UI is not). UI reserves are quickly draining and can't support the number of people who qualify. Smaller business will have a harder time carrying the unemployment for all the people who can't work due to SAH and shutdown orders.

When the government says a business can reopen, and they do, the employees are now faced with a choice - go back to work and risk getting sick or lose their eligibility to collect Unemployment since their business is open. The same goes for the business - the business is no longer eligible to collect on their business interruption insurance because the government has allowed their type of business to reopen.

Here is some information from Eligibility.com with sources citing back to the Dept. of Labor. 

Here is a link from our local NBC affiliate 11Alive about this issue in GA

As far as I can tell both links are non-partisan, non political and just lay out the issue, thoughts and concerns.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

8 minutes ago, ABay said:

When not toiling away on re computer, I've been doing jigsaw puzzles. So has everyone else, apparently, because they are now harder to find than toilet paper. Sure I have 8 left and 2 look impossible but it's like knitters with yarn--it doesn't matter how much you have, it is never enough.

I have no space for puzzles. So I go here: www.jigsawexplorer.com

You can set it to however many pieces you want - they go from around 10 or less to 1100+ (I think the specific options depend on the size of the image). There are featured puzzles on the home page, or you can browse categories or search keywords, there are "mystery puzzles" that only show you part of the image, and you can even upload your own photo if you want (I'm currently playing a photo I saw on facebook that was perfect for a puzzle). 🧩

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Okay. Regarding all my grocery shopping anxiety (see my post above) after a conversation with my bossy youngest daughter I have just placed an Instacart order to arrive mid-day tomorrow Friday,  May 1, when face masks will be required by the state. So stay tuned for my opinions, I guess.
She makes at least 1/2 more than I did when I retired last year. Being bossy pays. 😉

This was easy for me, since I've been working with the Internet since the 90s, but I am now thinking of twin sisters with whom I've become acquainted because we walk regularly at the same beach and we are the same age (senior citizens) but they do not even have email or internet --Luddites rather than abject poverty.  They have smart phones, but don't use them for more than making calls. Pre-Covid, I had pointed out that their phones were computers with internet access; one had teased about how I would need to give them a crash course because their doctors had started demanding email. I just realized they wouldn't be able to order food either. I had suggested they take a course at the local community center. I wish I had done more when they could have still taken a class.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2020 at 10:03 PM, forumfish said:

Not to pile on, but …

It's not about you. Just do the right thing and cover your face.

My high-risk family thanks you.

^^This absolutely^* 
I don’t know why it’s so difficult for people to comprehend. Your actions can and will affect others. You do not live in a vacuum. Do what is best for everyone; don’t be selfish. 

Edited by SeeMyDaintyPaws
  • Like 24

2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

The same goes for the business - the business is no longer eligible to collect on their business interruption insurance because the government has allowed their type of business to reopen.

Regular business interruption insurance excludes pandemics.  There are some policies that may cover it but it is not common.  Read your policy and talk to your agent if you're a business owner.

Unemployment from the state as well as the federal supplement are taxable and will need to be reported when you file, so people may be in for a surprise next year if they did not elect to have a percent of taxes withheld from their benefits.  Though it may be worth it if someone normally earns a low wage, obviously.

Though normally if you are collecting unemployment and are offered your job back and refuse your unemployment will stop, you can appeal if you meet certain conditions related to the pandemic - people collecting should check with their local unemployment office.  Of course there is also the chance that if you don't go back to work, your job will be gone and so will the fed supplement (after July).

• Like 1
  • Useful 3