Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Giant Misfit

COVID-19: This Topic Requires No Social Distancing

Omg in that picture of the Wharf there is a sign right there telling people to stay 6 feet apart which makes the whole thing sadly comical on a couple levels.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Kiki777 said:

Omg in that picture of the Wharf there is a sign right there telling people to stay 6 feet apart which makes the whole thing sadly comical on a couple levels.

Times like these we need a facepalm emoji or something. 

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

We were supposed to have rain in L.A. starting today, but it's late; I truly believe there are a whole lot of people who are more likely to stay home because it's raining here (we don't get a lot of rain, so we're not particularly good at dealing with it) than because we're in the middle of a global pandemic because of which we have been ordered to stay home since if we don't we will completely overwhelm our healthcare system and people who otherwise could have been saved will die.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

7 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

RIP to the last shred of integrity Drew Pinksy has tried to cling on to for years

Remember, he was considered something of a quack in those early Loveline days.  Simple longevity is what gave him the illusion of respectability. To a certain extent this is true of ALL of these TV/Radio Doctors. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Consider yourself lucky, my library system only allows 5 items per month.  Fortunately, they also offer another ebook option with unlimited checkouts per month - CloudLibrary, maybe

Hoopla is great, but that ten includes ALL media added together. So ebooks, audio, movies, and TV. Worst of all, each TV episode counts as one of the ten, so binge watching a series (they have a ton of PBS and British) turns into a months long affair in some cases. 

• Like 1

Oh, I miss George Carlin--especially now.

It does make you think, though, that everything is a matter of perspective.  In today's context Dan Quayle kind of looks like Isaac Newton, by comparison.

2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

This is twice without bagels,  hamburger and hot dog buns and tortilla wraps are all hit or miss.  

I used to make our hamburger buns all the time.  I forget why I stopped, but I'll be doing that again soon.  I will definitely be making bagels this week, because the only decent ones I could find around here aren't available anymore.  My one previous attempt was not successful, but now I have a powerful incentive.  Hamburger buns are very easy--I used the great recipe on the King Arthur flour site when I was making them regularly.  I might do brioche this time.  Isn't it great how solitary confinement brings out all your hidden talents?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

I don't know whether to do a laugh or cry reaction. Why didn't he do that three-four months ago, if it's so darn easy? Could have headed this all off at the pass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Why does my nose start itching as soon as I know I can't scratch it??

The nose knows. 

1 hour ago, GaT said:

3abeff97da7f4862ae326418bac5bf4c_md.jpg

HOW CAN THERE BE SO MANY STUPID PEOPLE???????

I do think walking trails can be tricky. I would be these people think they're doing a good job with social distancing because they might think they're at least six feet away from people who don't live in the same house with them.  But the popularity of walking trails is why I've chosen to walk in neighborhoods. 

53 minutes ago, Bastet said:

We were supposed to have rain in L.A. starting today, but it's late; I truly believe there are a whole lot of people who are more likely to stay home because it's raining here (we don't get a lot of rain, so we're not particularly good at dealing with it) than because we're in the middle of a global pandemic

Yep. I live in a state with a "long" winter and it gets crazy during the first signs of "good" weather. ("good" in quotes because by the time others consider it good, I consider it too warm.)  So social distancing has apparently been done somewhat decently, with exceptions I can see every day, of course, but I think the combination of warm weather and being cooped up all winter long and a shelter-in-place order, will be too much for many people.

And just like many underestimate how far six feet apart is, people will overestimate how good they were at self isolation.  I already hear that with people talking about maybe meeting up with a friend who has also self-quarantined but it's because they hand wave "essential" tasks even though those essential tasks are potential exposure opportunities.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1

On the lighter side, I had to make a run to our small market for a few things.  I’ve been going there for years, I know them and they know me.  They had started doing curb pickups, which I appreciate, so I opted to use that.  Suffice it to say, I thought it would be okay to make a pajama run.  Wouldn’t you know it, my trunk latch was stuck, so I had to get out of the car to open the trunk with my key in my PJs.   Serves me right I guess. 

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Times like these we need a facepalm emoji or something. 

We also need a ? emoji for all the posts that consist of just a link with no explanation of what the link is about or what the source is.  Like these:

Good News, Everybody!

Ruh-Roh.

Sorry, I don't "blind click".

And what does WRT mean?

Edited by Brookside
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

And just like many underestimate how far six feet apart is, people will overestimate how good they were at self isolation.  I already hear that with people talking about maybe meeting up with a friend who has also self-quarantined but it's because they hand wave "essential" tasks even though those essential tasks are potential exposure opportunities.

This is why I've started jotting down the date any time I go out. Just in case I start feeling "off" and need to know how long it's been since I may have been exposed.

On a feel-good note, a woman on NextDoor is sewing cotton masks and giving them away (leaving them in a bin at the curb) and she is advising that everyone who takes one wash it before use. It's so nice to read the replies of neighbors who are offering to pay for supplies or drop off fabric for her.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 6:54 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I don't get why people are watching movies like Contagion and Outbreak right now. Like seriously?! WE ARE ALREADY FUCKING LIVING IN IT. 

I know! I received an email from Netflix, about The Girl With All The Gifts, being available, and my response to them was basically, "Could you not?" 

On 4/3/2020 at 9:52 PM, forumfish said:

Who would have guessed that in our lifetime, grocery shopping would become a tactical maneuver?

I'm originally from the former USSR, and I remember grocery shopping always being a tactical maneuver during my childhood. I was hoping not to have to revisit those days again, but I'm OK with it if that's what it takes to get the pandemic under control.

On 4/4/2020 at 12:40 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my god, I now want to scream. I decided to see if another supermarket had any delivery openings and it does. However, I can't seem to get the email confirmation of my account registration, which means I can't make the order. I've refreshed my email 12 times, logged out and back in, and still no fucking confirmation. Ugh.

Try placing an order with the credentials you used to create your account. It could be that your information was written to the customer database - i.e. your registration was successful - but something happened to the email job queue and the confirmation didn't get sent. It happens sometimes, especially if a system is experiencing a much higher load than usual and doesn't have auto-scaling enabled.

I had a mini-meltdown last night because the reality finally hit me that if something happens to my parents or brother in Germany, I will not be able to go there and see them. I started questioning all my life choices that led me to living so far away from them, couldn't fall asleep for hours, and woke up looking like shit. Trying to think positive thoughts and get a good night's sleep tonight so I look presentable on my work video calls tomorrow.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Like 3