Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Giant Misfit

COVID-19: This Topic Requires No Social Distancing

5 minutes ago, tiftgirl said:

Do retired people on Social Security get the stimulus check?  If not I was thinking I could send what I get to my Daddy and Stepmother.  Although getting them to accept it will be a battle in itself.

I believe the answer to that is yes unless their investment earnings of taxable withdrawals from tax deferred accounts exceed the limits. 

• Like 4

I heard the CT governor would stop any New Yorker coming to their state would be sent back. That seems like a good idea. Well, the quarantine of both states are important. Can't argue with that. In the near future, I hope to visit Mohegan Sun and Mystic again. Those are my favorite places to go. I hope you fellow CT folks are okay.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, auntlada said:

Which brings me to my other irrational annoyance: the thing people keep sharing about how 10 years from now, the kids are going to look back and say it was the best time because they remember scavenger hunts in the backyard and their parents always being there, etc.

I wish my feeds were that positive... mine seems full of people who dislike their children and think being home with them all day is sheer torture. I get that it makes if difficult if you're working from home, but some people act like being forced to actually interact with their family is the absolute worst. 

I just hope it's exaggeration for social media, and they don't say that stuff in front of their kids. 😣

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

5 hours ago, auntlada said:

I'm irrationally annoyed at all the people on Facebook who are talking about how this is such a good time to slow down and spend time with your family and eat dinner together and learn what is really important because we already did all that. We always eat dinner together (even when it's a rush because we have Scouts that evening). And we even do Scouts together because my husband and I are the den leader's for the boy's den. I know it's irrational, but it annoys me because it feels as though they are saying I should be grateful for this time together. And maybe I should, but I'm still working at home, as is my husband, while also still trying to put together lessons for the boy.

Which brings me to my other irrational annoyance: the thing people keep sharing about how 10 years from now, the kids are going to look back and say it was the best time because they remember scavenger hunts in the backyard and their parents always being there, etc. That just makes me feel like a bad mom (nothing like the Internet for doing that) because we aren't doing scavenger hunts and extra crafts and baking together, etc., because I still have to work. (I wanted to yell that in all caps, but I restrained myself.) I'm at home, and my husband is at home, but we're both still putting in eight hours of work a day. I take breaks for things like Go Noodle exercises (seriously good exercise for people who haven't done a lot of exercise) and lunch together, but I don't have time (or inclination) to teach the boy to bake or cook or create fun (and messy) crafts (that I'll have to clean up) or make elaborate scavenger hunts.

I feel that a lot of that sentiment (about this being a great opportunity to interact with your family 24/7) is coming from people who have been laid off and so aren't working a normal job  right now. Maybe they really do have tons more time to spend with their kids, but that doesn't mean everyone does. There's also the stereotype that people who work from home aren't really working, and have 8 hours of free time to whip up gourmet meals, etc. The reality is that just because you work from home, it doesn't mean you have a ton of extra time to do family interaction or special projects. Sure, because I work from home anyway, I can use part of my lunch break to throw some clothes in the washer or unload/load the dishwasher. It doesn't mean I have extra time to create a scavenger hunt for my grandson. And the cynical part of me says those same parents who are boasting about being able to do all these special activities with their kids will have very different attitudes if this situation continues for a few months.

Switching pandemic annoyances here, is anyone else having trouble finding tea? I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I do drink at least one cup of tea a day, usually English Breakfast. Yet the local stores have been out of almost all tea, brand or house, for about 3 weeks now. I'm fine on coffee supplies, as both my daughter and I have to drink decaf, but the shelves where tea normally is are largely empty. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

Switching pandemic annoyances here, is anyone else having trouble finding tea? I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I do drink at least one cup of tea a day, usually English Breakfast. Yet the local stores have been out of almost all tea, brand or house, for about 3 weeks now. I'm fine on coffee supplies, as both my daughter and I have to drink decaf, but the shelves where tea normally is are largely empty. 

I have gone a little overboard on the samples from Adagio in the recent past so I have a ton of tea. Guess this is a good opportunity to use some of it up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

I heard the CT governor would stop any New Yorker coming to their state would be sent back. That seems like a good idea.

Do you have a source for that?  I did a brief search and came up with nothing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I saw something about Rhode Island stopping New Yorkers from coming in.  On Slate, I think.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I saw something about Rhode Island stopping New Yorkers from coming in.  On Slate, I think.

No, they're not stopping New Yorkers from coming in: 

Anyone arriving from any destination by plane or from New York State by bus, train, or automobile (with the exception of public safety, healthcare professionsls, and pilots/flight crew) must immediately self-quarantine for 14 days.

https://health.ri.gov/covid/

Come on, people!  It's annoying enough when people don't verify anything as a matter of course, but it's especially important right now that we get shit right. 

I stay off social media for this very reason.  (Well, this and many others.)  Is there no place that deals in values facts left any more?

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BookWoman56 said:

I feel that a lot of that sentiment (about this being a great opportunity to interact with your family 24/7) is coming from people who have been laid off and so aren't working a normal job  right now. Maybe they really do have tons more time to spend with their kids, but that doesn't mean everyone does. There's also the stereotype that people who work from home aren't really working, and have 8 hours of free time to whip up gourmet meals, etc. The reality is that just because you work from home, it doesn't mean you have a ton of extra time to do family interaction or special projects.

I saw this the other day, and thought it fits this discussion.

• Like 8
  • Laugh 8

And the cynical part of me says those same parents who are boasting about being able to do all these special activities with their kids will have very different attitudes if this situation continues for a few months.

I suspect some of them already do have a different attitude, but are afraid to admit it - moms are supposed to find parenting the greatest experience of their lives, so many of them are reluctant to admit it gets really old really fast to be cooped up with someone, especially kids, 24/7.  And some of those will instead post lavish tales of the quality time they're spending.

Or maybe they've just all been brainwashed by that awful commercial for some migraine medication, where the woman spends all day playing pirate games with her kid.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 7

Thank you, @Moose135. I needed that.

Many of the ones I see, @BookWoman56, are older people who are retired and long past the age of having small children, even grandkids, at home.

Or my sister-in-law, who does not have a job outside the house. Sure her girls are home with her now, but she doesn't have the work from home stuff added on. And her girls are in sixth and ninth grades. The older one is cooking supper now.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Or maybe they've just all been brainwashed by that awful commercial for some migraine medication, where the woman spends all day playing pirate games with her kid.

Have you ever read the Commercials that Annoy, Irritate, or Enrage thread? So much hate for that one!

• Like 3

Dandelion greens will be up soon. This may be that "one of these days" moment when we will try them.

• Like 1

If you have enough extra toilet paper that you're giving away a roll to everyone who comes to your "drive-through bridal shower", and drops off a gift,  you have more toilet paper than your fair share.  Stop bloody hoarding the TP!

(Just saw a piece about this very thing on the local news.)

• Like 10
  • Surprise 3

2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

If you have enough extra toilet paper that you're giving away a roll to everyone who comes to your "drive-through bridal shower", and drops off a gift,  you have more toilet paper than your fair share.  Stop bloody hoarding the TP!

(Just saw a piece about this very thing on the local news.)

Oh my.  Someone who hoards toilet paper is absolutely the type of person who, instead of just postponing/canceling the bridal shower, would have people drive over to drop off their gifts.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I heard the CT governor would stop any New Yorker coming to their state would be sent back. That seems like a good idea. Well, the quarantine of both states are important. Can't argue with that. In the near future, I hope to visit Mohegan Sun and Mystic again. Those are my favorite places to go. I hope you fellow CT folks are okay.

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Not true.  He is, however, seeking clarification from the White House as to exactly what their proposed quarantine of NY, NJ, and CT would entail. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

I stocked up a few months ago from Little Red Cup and all the tea they sell now was imported from China before covid-19 hit.  I would love to get some more, but that would require money.

• Like 1

I've caught some kind of crud from my boyfriend. He had bronchitis this week/last weekend. I expected to get whatever I have sooner than I did. I woke up yesterday morning feeling something in my chest, which is how it always starts with me. I have just a touch of a cough. I felt fine yesterday and this morning, but I can feel pressure in my ears. I don't have a fever; in fact, my temperature is a degree low.

I started taking Emergen-C, vitamin C and zinc yesterday and have been taking it around the clock. I really believe in the power of that regimen. I'm also taking DayQuil today. There's no acetaminophen anywhere but in DayQuil and NyQuil, which are still available everywhere (*taps temple*).

I felt kind of rough while driving around to FOUR stores to make sure I had more meds and supplies. There's still no toilet paper anywhere. I napped some this afternoon and I feel OK. Not great, but OK.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 7

10 hours ago, auntlada said:

I'm irrationally annoyed at all the people on Facebook who are talking about how this is such a good time to slow down and spend time with your family and eat dinner together and learn what is really important because we already did all that. We always eat dinner together (even when it's a rush because we have Scouts that evening). And we even do Scouts together because my husband and I are the den leader's for the boy's den. I know it's irrational, but it annoys me because it feels as though they are saying I should be grateful for this time together. And maybe I should, but I'm still working at home, as is my husband, while also still trying to put together lessons for the boy.

This annoys me, too. As a lecturer, I haven't had the opportunity to "slow down". I'm busy converting all my lessons from "in person" to "online". I'm fielding messages from students who aren't great with technology and make mistakes so I need to double check they've submitted their work. I'm filling out paperwork detailing my day because it is a government requirement now. 

I feel incredibly lucky not to have kids at this time because I know my teacher friends with kids are really feeling overwhelmed, because here in Korea, the school year was supposed to start March 2 and it has been pushed back twice already. So, the kids have been at home since January! 

This article is an interesting read detailing the different ways people  of different means are coping with the lockdown  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/business/economy/coronavirus-inequality.html

Edited by watchingtvaddict
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

Switching pandemic annoyances here, is anyone else having trouble finding tea? I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I do drink at least one cup of tea a day, usually English Breakfast.

Yikes. I use Lipton's now, and have an unopened half-pound, and some in the cannister.
I used to buy Twinings or other brands, of Ceylon tea, but since retiring, I go with the cheaper choice.
I make a gallon pitcher a day.

Believe it or not, my local Kroger had a display of TP and I wasted no time in buying athe mandated ration of a single 4 pack! I had  had enough to get by at that time    but 4 extra rolls can't hurt under any circumstance!

I still am puzzled as to why all the fresh meats have been gone for over a week but there's still an abundance of deli meats! 

Edited by Blergh

14 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I still am puzzled as to why all the fresh meats have been gone for over a week but there's still an abundance of deli meats! 

I noticed that, too!  Weird.

I said this elsewhere recently, I'm not sure whether it's comforting or disturbing that "The Twilight Zone" is still as relevant as ever. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 3

When I was at Target today, besides people not getting what they needed and then getting the hell out of the way so others could get down the aisles while observing social distancing (*deep breath*), there was a woman who I think got called out for the paper towels she was buying. There were maybe 10 of the huge multi-packs of Bounty, and the woman grabbed two. An older couple said something to her and she said something about being "allowed" to buy two (per the posted signs). Here's the thing, though: Why do you need 24 rolls (or however many) of paper towels today when there are maybe 10 total packs that the store has in stock for all of this part of town? SELFISH!

Beyond people stockpiling, this is also why there are shortages of everything. I wish the stores would limit bulk items to one per customer.

• Like 19

7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Stop bloody hoarding the TP!

The social media posts with so much TP. Donate it ffs instead of taking pictures.

• Like 9

Right? It's like they're rubbing it in, almost, or something. "Haha, we've got all the toilet paper and you guys are scrambling." 

• Like 4

Look how funny we are, a toilet paper wedding cake. Haha.

Is saving the weekly newspaper just in case. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Why do you need 24 rolls (or however many) of paper towels today when there are maybe 10 total packs that the store has in stock for all of this part of town? SELFISH!

First, @bilgistic, I hope you are feeling better. 🙁

About hoarding-shopping:

If someone has a greater, un-ending need for an item and leaves 80% on the shelf for others (leaves behind 8 out of 10), that person probably is trying to be thoughtful of others. Like maybe they have a special needs child or Alzheimer's parent at home who makes a lot of messes and paper towels are the only thing standing between that person and sanity. 

On the other hand, maybe that person really is just a dick. 🍆
We can't know, but I feel better imagining the first scenario
--although I have to admit when I'm out in public lately I keep muttering to myself how stupid everyone is.
Sometimes I just want to yell at them: You are so stupid! 😣🤬

However, because of having 1/3 of my colon removed, I use a roll of TP every 3 days, so I bought one pack, took it to my car, and then went back and got another because I wanted to stick to the "one per customer" sign. But when I was in line the second time, there was a guy and his kid in front of me getting 2 packs and I figured, okay, that's 2 customers. But if one person has 10 people at home, how many customers is that?  

So, we are better off not wasting emotional bandwidth on judging other shoppers.
But there are so many doo doo heads out there too, that's it's hard not to. 💩🙂

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 13

2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Like maybe they have a special needs child or Alzheimer's parent at home who makes a lot of messes and paper towels are the only thing standing between that person and sanity.

I like that you tend towards this and not dicks. Getting multiple packs though is different than going state to state and buying pallets full to sell on ebay. I won't judge the first, but the second, I hope they rot in hell.

• Like 13

21 minutes ago, nokat said:

I like that you tend towards this and not dicks. Getting multiple packs though is different than going state to state and buying pallets full to sell on ebay. I won't judge the first, but the second, I hope they rot in hell.

Someone (me?) should draw a cartoon of a stupid head on an island in the middle of nowhere with the island made up of rolls of toilet paper with a sign sticking out of it saying "TP for Sale: $100.00 per roll."

• Laugh 2

13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Someone (me?) should draw a cartoon of a stupid head on an island in the middle of nowhere with the island made up of rolls of toilet paper with a sign sticking out of it saying "TP for Sale: $100.00 per roll."

Yes you! I've been loving the cartoons.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I do drink at least one cup of tea a day, usually English Breakfast.

That is what I like too. Has some and wish I could send it to you. Not into flavoured teas, but I do like my English Breakfast.

• Like 3

Looks in cupboard. Has the decaffeinated  version too. Lifts finger and pretends I didn't say decaffeinated,

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

So what is your must have before you get stabby? For me, it's chocolate.

Edited by nokat
  • Like 8

A friend ordered some Purell from company called Carethy , and said she never got it, but her card was charged.  (She did get money put back.)

• Like 1
  • Surprise 2

8 minutes ago, nokat said:

So what is your must have before you get stabby? For me, it's chocolate.

Yes, but: Shhhh. 
First they came for the toilet paper; soon they will come for the chocolate. 🤫

• Laugh 8
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

So it looks like all the trash services around here are no longer picking up recycling or yard waste because of coronavirus.  

I don't generate that much trash so technically I could get everything into the one can they will still pick up. But I don't want to send yard waste and recycle to the dump. 

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do with this stuff other than store it until the world gets back to something resembling normal.

First is to reduce what I'm generating.

Then I'm going to try to learn about composting and if I can turn some of the yard waste into mulch.

Ideas welcome.

• Like 4
  • Surprise 1

5 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

So it looks like all the trash services around here are no longer picking up recycling or yard waste because of coronavirus. 

I don't generate that much trash so technically I could get everything into the one can they will still pick up. But I don't want to send yard waste and recycle to the dump.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do with this stuff other than store it until the world gets back to something resembling normal.

First is to reduce what I'm generating.

Then I'm going to try to learn about composting and if I can turn some of the yard waste into mulch.

Ideas welcome.

I usually have one small bag of trash, so it would take a while for me to fill the trash can. Composting is something I'm interested in too. I can throw out the potato and vegetable peelings and feed the local critters.  I put out some chard stems, and nobody wanted that. Into the compost pile. Just turn it over occasionally and let worms turn it into dirt.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Ideas welcome.

I don't have the space for composting and use this service: https://compostnow.org

They pick-up and compost for you and when you have 10lbs of compost they'll deliver it to you or donate it to a community garden. I've been doing it a little over a month and have already turned in over 10lbs of food scraps by myself (which is about 3lbs of compost). 
They keep you updated on your contribution. 

image.thumb.png.3355310e08426ce11a1304bfbcc7c88b.png

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3

Re compost: I hope it's okay that I'm tossing coffee grounds on the ground/leaves outside.

In other news, a strip club in the southwest US announced it's Covid-19 closure in style:EUPOiPzU4AEky-3?format=jpg

• Like 2
  • Laugh 20

7 hours ago, nokat said:

So what is your must have before you get stabby?

Bread - any kind of bread, even a tortilla will do in a pinch. I made the No Knead Bread recipe posted on page 9 of this thread and it was easy and good too! I only made a half recipe. Working from home now I could easily throw this together while I work. I used half whole wheat and I don't have a dutch oven so I used a covered Corningware dish.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Right? It's like they're rubbing it in, almost, or something. "Haha, we've got all the toilet paper and you guys are scrambling." 

And they wonder why people are buying so many guns...

• Sad 2

Other than a quick trip to Wal Mart a week ago Friday, I've been coming straight home from work every day.  So, today was my first 'venture' out in a while. I never have gotten around to replacing my dryer (and it's been many months since it died on me), so I had a couple of loads of clothes to dry.  At my local laundromat they had a sign in the window asking everyone to go back out and sit in their vehicles while their clothes were washing/drying (and they took the chairs out of the waiting area).  Luckily, it is a nice cool slightly breezy day, so I read my book in comfort in the car. On a lighter note, when I went to use the collar of my t-shirt as a barrier for my fingers when I had to scratch my itchy nose, I felt a tag and realized that I had it on backwards (although probably no one noticed but me that the emblem was now in the back and the picture was in the front).

I then went a few miles to a chain drugstore to pick up a prescription. I went in instead of using the drive-through just to see what they had in stock. Although I do have a couple of rolls of TP left, I picked up a 12-pack they had available (I would have been fine with a 4-pack if that was what was in stock). So I'm good for TP for a while. They had tape set in squares on the floor 6 feet apart so anyone in line could keep their distance.  It was pretty quiet in there, though, so no problem.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

And they wonder why people are buying so many guns...

My dad works at a local (to my parents) gun shop (once a week, but hangs out there the rest of the week, unpaid because retirement) and Mom says they are out of inventory. It just makes me fear for my safety, knowing how many people are buying guns and most likely are not being properly trained to use them.

• Like 7
  • Surprise 5
  • Sad 8

43 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

My dad works at a local (to my parents) gun shop (once a week, but hangs out there the rest of the week, unpaid because retirement) and Mom says they are out of inventory. It just makes me fear for my safety, knowing how many people are buying guns and most likely are not being properly trained to use them.

I'm all for the second amendment, your right to bear arms. Panic buying though, you're more likely to hurt yourself or a loved one. I grew up with hunting rifles in the house and knew not to touch them without an adult and how to safely carry one and how to clean it and take care of it.

• Like 6