Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Giant Misfit

COVID-19: This Topic Requires No Social Distancing

@bilgistic, looks like we're not going anywhere soon...Mecklenburg County, where Charlotte is located and where I live, was already under such an order for the past week. Several other counties in the state had issued similar orders in the past few days as well. This now covers the entire state and runs through April 29.

Gov. Cooper issues statewide stay-at-home order as NC coronavirus cases maintain high rate of increase

Gov. Roy Cooper issued a 30-day statewide stay-at-home order on Friday in the hopes of quelling the spread of coronavirus infection to keep hospitals across North Carolina from being overwhelmed by cases.

Cooper took the action after following similar orders in nearly two dozen other states and even some counties and municipalities within North Carolina. The statewide order places stricter limits on how much people can move about. It takes effect at 5 p.m., Monday.

Edited by Moose135
  • Like 3

On 3/25/2020 at 7:52 PM, GaT said:

Why are some people such assholes

@GaT, your link about the deodorant licker brings up another asshole. Saw at another board I visit that some guy that went around on some "Coronavirus Challenge" LICKING TOILETS ended up in the hospital...with the virus. This douche even gets a nice bed.

To think a moron like this is taking up valuable care and a bed when some NON-IDIOT probably needs it just as much.

I swear to God, sometimes I wonder if evolution has skipped some of our species with stories like these!

• Like 6
  • Sad 4

45 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Stimulus I is now law. The checks should be in bank accounts no later than April 17th. Paper checks may not be out until May. I'm not sure how quick the expanded UI will take effect.

I totally back this up. I work(ed) in the food service industry, so my hands were in sanitizer solution all the time. O'Keefe Working Hands really does the job.

I don't do direct deposit for my taxes, and I already got my refund checks...but I have not been able to deposit them, yet.

I just commented on facebook a few days ago that my hands were starting to look like when I worked closing shifts in food service in college (especially in the winter...winters were cold back then 😉 ). I have Eucerin; the thick cream that comes in a tub. Also Nivea which is similar (but has more of a scent so I don't always want to use it.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Some owners are already whining because Walmart can stay open as a grocery store, even though they sell clothes and similar items.  (I recognized the man complaining on the news conference, he owns an upscale outerwear, and beach clothes store, certainly non-essential to the public right now).

I don't know, I understand the complaint.  If Walmart's clothing area was it's own store, it would have to be closed.

In my area, there's a paint/home decor/kitchen/gift store.  The paint area is open for two hours each morning to provide "essential service" to local builders, but the other areas are closed.  I think that's fair.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

.but I have not been able to deposit them, yet.

Do you have a smartphone? Look into mobile deposit.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Do you have a smartphone? Look into mobile deposit.

Nope 😞

Guess I can't go to the phone store, now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Nope 😞

You can order one online and it will show up at your door in a day or two.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I know. I'm just being lazy about figuring out plans and what my discount (through my job) covers and whatnot.

• Like 1

Well, I've finished up my first week of 'not working remotely from home'.  I'm considered to be one of the essential people at my work place (academic library), so a few of us are coming in to work.  It's actually been kind of nice to work in the quiet, although -- of course -- I hate the reason why we're having to do this. They extended spring break for an additional week, so we've had very few students around.  We've also closed the campus (including our library) to all community users, so only those with a valid university ID can enter the building. Anyone who can work from home is urged to do so, but since I live alone, I'm pretty much just as isolated when I'm upstairs in my office as if I was at home. All classes are online beginning next week through the end of the semester, but some of our students don't have internet access at home, so we're staying open (just during the day right now, but might have an evening hour or so if we find that students can't get here before 5pm. No weekends until further notice, though).  We've marked every other computer with an 'out of order' sign so that students who come in will be forced to sit a good distance from each other.  We're also in a pretty big building with plenty of study tables for students to use without them being too close. Hopefully, the four or five of us who will be working (some will be rotating days and only coming in for one or two days a week and we're scattered on two floors) will be fine. We're distancing ourselves from the few students who have come in this week, and the feedback from downstairs is that a couple of them were a little put out that we asked them to step back a few steps as we help them with their books, questions, etc. I guess young people think they are immune to everything! 🙂 

I have the option of working from home if I want, but the lure of being able to wear my grubby clothes, go barefoot, and play with the cats any time I want is outweighed by the fact that I have much more desk space at work, two monitors, and don't have to keep a detailed 'work log' of every bit of work I would be doing at home. On campus, it's just doing my regular job and not having to document everything. 

• Like 6

Ask yourself how you would feel if the isolated person gets sick?   You'll never know if it was from another source, or if you gave it to them.    You can always get close by, and talk on the phone, while they stay inside.  

• Like 3

As my sister said, not sure this money is “stimulus” or “sustainability” for some people.  Might allow them to pay bills and buy food. 😥

Edited by Thumper
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

I had to go get some cat food for my parents (my dad is going to come get it tomorrow), and it was so freaking eerie being able to drive 70 mph on the freeway at 6:00 on a Friday evening.  Not that I miss L.A. traffic by a long shot, mind you, but it's creepy.

• Like 8
  • Surprise 1

3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Best Buy is also doing same day curbside pickup. 

• Useful 1

17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I had to go get some cat food for my parents (my dad is going to come get it tomorrow), and it was so freaking eerie being able to drive 70 mph on the freeway at 6:00 on a Friday evening.  Not that I miss L.A. traffic by a long shot, mind you, but it's creepy.

I've experienced the same thing. Not that San Antonio traffic is anywhere near as bad as L.A., but it's very odd when I've gone to pick up meds via drive-through, to see the various big stores with no cars in their parking lots, and minimal traffic on the highways. I keep thinking, damn, it looks like I'm in the middle of some post-apocalyptic movie, and then it clicks that this is just reality now.

I've been working from home for a few years now and am quite comfortable not being around people in an office environment, so the current directive from my employer to work from home unless customer-facing has no real effect on me. A few of my colleagues are having to adjust to working from home with spouses, kids, and/or pets around them. It's getting quite common for teleconference calls to open with the meeting organizer apologizing in advance for any barking dogs, etc. 

• Like 3

I am just waiting to be in a Zoom meeting and have one of my cats decide it is time for him to sit in my lap and get patted. I feel very much like a supervillain.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 11

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I occasionally find myself checking the stove after I've gone to bed, and tend to freak out thinking I didn't lock the door when I'm going to be gone overnight (but never when I'm just going about my normal routine).

There's a Kids in the Hall sketch where Scott Thompson's character, Fran (an older lady) is standing in front of the stove saying "Number one is off. Number two is off. Number three is off. Number four is off." <pause> "Number one is off....

Because I have gotten on a plane more than once with the thought in my head that I didn't lock a door or turn off the stove, I now take pictures. I can take a pic of the inside of the backdoor showing the locks, then the stove, then when I get outside the rule is lock, test, take a pic. 

56 minutes ago, Bastet said:

it was so freaking eerie being able to drive 70 mph on the freeway at 6:00 on a Friday evening.

It is so freaky. I flew on 3/14 - the airport was business as usual. The plane had maybe five open seats. I flew back just six days later and the flight was half full and the airport was so empty it gave me that eerie feeling. I went by a desk where the employee was announcing something, and the ten people at the gate were like "Dude, we're right here. You don't need that microphone!" Oh, and I had to pee something fierce and they had closed many bathrooms! I get it, but man that was a crazy, desperate dash!

It's just so hard for me to wrap my brain around how quickly the world has changed.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I occasionally find myself checking the stove after I've gone to bed, and tend to freak out thinking I didn't lock the door when I'm going to be gone overnight

It sounds like you need only an occasional reminder so you could try adding something distinctive while doing it, to firmly plant the memory, like making monkey noises or singing a bawdy song. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I flew back just six days later and the flight was half full and the airport was so empty it gave me that eerie feeling.

I saw a picture on facebook of Park Avenue in NYC, taken from a crane up on a building. Totally empty of cars. Very weird.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thumper said:

As my sister said, not sure this money is “stimulus” or “sustainability” for some people.  Might allow them to pay bills and buy food. 😥

How does this money work? Is it money with "no strings" or it a loan that goes towards your taxes/ refund in the future? 

6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Nope 😞

I heard one saying you could order online.  Think it was Sprint, but may all do it.

1 hour ago, suomi said:

It sounds like you need only an occasional reminder so you could try adding something distinctive while doing it, to firmly plant the memory, like making monkey noises or singing a bawdy song. 

I kind of do this with my curling iron. But, the OCD still causes me to text my BF, who leaves for work after I do, to check it. Usually his reply is that he already did (and that it was already unplugged).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ams1001 said:
7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I know. I'm just being lazy about figuring out plans and what my discount (through my job) covers and whatnot.

These days a smart phone costs as much as a computer --and it essentially is a computer-- so, yeah, if you're like me, it could take a year altogether to figure out what you're getting. 
But if this situation goes on for months, you might decide to pull the trigger on buying one. 
I've been fortunate to get all of my smart phones second hand from my and other people's mothers until my current one, which my daughter and her husband got me for free in the past year by having me switch to their family plan. It's an iPhone 7, which should be supported by Apple for at least another year.
I'm not getting the discount from my employer anymore, but it's still cheaper being part of someone's family plan --and we don't even live in the same state. 
So, some more stuff to consider.
Or maybe you could just get the iPad Mini before the current version for a couple of hundred and keep your non-smart phone. 
Yeah, it's not an easy decision. 

Edited by shapeshifter · Reason: Typo
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, watchingtvaddict said:

How does this money work? Is it money with "no strings" or it a loan that goes towards your taxes/ refund in the future? 

I think it's intended without strings, the hope is that people will spend it because expenditures of all kinds will boost the economy. 

Every time you spend or buy you give others the ability and incentive to spend or buy and it goes around and around from there.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I kind of do this with my curling iron. But, the OCD still causes me to text my BF, who leaves for work after I do, to check it. Usually his reply is that he already did (and that it was already unplugged).

Ooh, that's frustrating, isn't it? It sounds like you could use a situation-al (daily or frequent) reminder instead of an occasion-al (going out of town) reminder.

You could wear something that's easy to move (like a scrunchie) on your left wrist while you do your morning routine and then move it to your right wrist when you unplug the iron. When you doubt yourself later you can look at your right wrist and know that you've done "the right thing." Or, when you unplug you can repeat the day's date a satisfactory number of times: 27, 27, 27. (For me it would be three times because I like odd numbers, LOL). 

I'm not an expert by any means, just sharing some things that ease my OCD. 

• Like 7

Knowing me, I would just wonder what unforeseen variable caused me to believe that I "needed" to move the scrunchie! I'd text anyway. Also, I just asked him about this; hahahahhaa, he said that never even once has the curling iron been left on. Now he just checks anyway, text or not.

• Laugh 7

5 hours ago, Thumper said:

Yes, it is "survival" money since otherwise many will not be able to pay their rent, their mortgage, or buy food.  IMO of course.

I live in the most infected state (New York - 45, 934 cases), in the most infected city (NYC - 26, 697 cases) and in NYC's most infected borough (Queens - 8529 cases).   Those statistics all as of about 4 PM today.   It is weird.  There is not the slightest possibility that I have NOT been exposed to the virus, from many people,  along with everyone else I know and love here.   Yet, I don't feel anything close to the raw constant fear I felt for months after 9/11, when I was so afraid the subways would be blown up, or worst of all, the Indian Point nuclear power plant (which would have wiped out this whole area of the country).   I have the same tension of waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I'm just not as physically fearful as I was then, even though I understand COVID 19 is a pretty horrifically painful death - and one I'd be likely to have alone.   In fact I felt more dread during the AIDS crisis in the 80's when I was going to three funerals a month.

It's irrational because I should be much more scared.  Intellectually I know this.  Maybe part of it is that the weirdest thing about NYC social distancing is that we're now doing the opposite of the kind of social distancing New Yorkers always do.  We're REALLY good at being crushed into a subway car and yet ignoring all the people we're crushed against.  All of us (women especially) are experts at walking down a crowded street and not making eye contact.  But you're always friendly to the folks at the pizzeria and the bodega and the bar and the laundromat (and despite what you might have heard, your closer neighbors).  And it's also the case that in big emergencies, like 9/11, or Hurricane Sandy, or the ridiculous two week blackout we had in my end of Queens a few years back - that there's this immediate kind of camaraderie and mutual aid that comes to the fore.  I remember walking across the 59th Street Bridge back to Queens on the morning of 9/11 and the way people were hugging strangers who started to cry, people letting other people use their phones, people singing and praying, playing the radio.

And now we have this terror among us and we're supposed to be interacting with our neighbors on the block the way we interact with people in other states and other countries - virtually.  I make a point of getting outside and walking a bit every day, and I'm still buying groceries from stores and not online, six feet apart from everybody else of course blah blah blah.  And I talk to people, again from a safe distance, and not for long since, you know.

I guess I feel weirdly trapped.  All Mr Rat and I can do is wait and see,   Like everybody else.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Like 15
  • Useful 1

Mama has seen leaves emerge and flowers bloom in recent days, and despite her many years and age-related challenges, she STILL views them with the wonder of a child. I think that if we can possibly get the chance to at least visit nature and appreciate its glory while keeping 'social distancing' that could help us all to cope with a good part of the stress of this new world with exposure risks, TP shortages,etc. we're having to deal with. 

• Like 8

What abt people who have to pay?  We’ve had to pay for years, sometimes only $200, but one year we owed $3K and another over $1K, yet didn’t have that money laying around.  Even the year we moved to N.C., with all the tax breaks and not working for 6mos (hubby had a nice severance), we had to pay.

We’re still paying it off at $100/mo.  Do we get any at all?  (We fall far below the $150K cap).  If so, do we get checks?  Or because the IRS automatically deducts it, would we get a direct deposit?

• Like 1

Oh, the horror!  I just saw a piece on my local news about rolls and rolls of toilet paper that spilled from a tractor trailer truck on a highway in North Carolina.  There was even video of all that TP blowing around on the side of the road.

I'm headed to the grocery store in a little while.  I'm interested to see what's available, and whether I can get all the things on my list.

Zero cases in my actual town, but one in each of the neighboring towns -- college students who travelled recently.

• Surprise 3

26 minutes ago, roamyn said:

What abt people who have to pay?  We’ve had to pay for years, sometimes only $200, but one year we owed $3K and another over $1K, yet didn’t have that money laying around.  Even the year we moved to N.C., with all the tax breaks and not working for 6mos (hubby had a nice severance), we had to pay.

We’re still paying it off at $100/mo.  Do we get any at all?  (We fall far below the $150K cap).  If so, do we get checks?  Or because the IRS automatically deducts it, would we get a direct deposit?

I haven't heard that if one owes money, one doesn't get the stimulus money. I sure as hell hope not, because I, too, am still paying last year's (2018's) taxes. I will also owe on 2019's. I have been paying a pittance because I make/made so little money.

20 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, the horror!  I just saw a piece on my local news about rolls and rolls of toilet paper that spilled from a tractor trailer truck on a highway in North Carolina.  There was even video of all that TP blowing around on the side of the road.

BRB, going to the accident scene to find toilet paper! There was no TP at Walgreens yesterday when I picked up a prescription.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

@roamyn, this is the closest answer I could find about owing taxes and its effect on the stimulus payment, from the New York Times:

"If my income tax refunds are currently being garnished because of a student loan default, will this payment be garnished as well?

No. In fact, the bill temporarily suspends nearly all efforts to garnish tax refunds to repay debts, including those to the I.R.S. itself. But this waiver may not apply to people who are behind on child support."

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

26 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

@roamyn, this is the closest answer I could find about owing taxes and its effect on the stimulus payment, from the New York Times:

"If my income tax refunds are currently being garnished because of a student loan default, will this payment be garnished as well?

No. In fact, the bill temporarily suspends nearly all efforts to garnish tax refunds to repay debts, including those to the I.R.S. itself. But this waiver may not apply to people who are behind on child support."

Yes, @bilgistic! That's the article I was going to try to find to post (coronavirus-stimulus-package-questions-answers). It thoroughly answers all the questions about the stimulus payments.

36 minutes ago, bilgistic said:
58 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

BRB, going to the accident scene to find toilet paper!

I'll meet you there! (6 feet or one moose-length apart, of course)

5 hours ago, Blergh said:

Mama has seen leaves emerge and flowers bloom in recent days, and despite her many years and age-related challenges, she STILL views them with the wonder of a child. I think that if we can possibly get the chance to at least visit nature and appreciate its glory while keeping 'social distancing' that could help us all to cope with a good part of the stress of this new world with exposure risks, TP shortages,etc. we're having to deal with. 

For your Mama and for us all, sharing the view from my sunrise walk 2 days ago (yesterday was socked in fog, today is pouring rain; like Janis Joplin sang, "Get it while you can"):

sunrise-in-the-time-of-corona.JPEG

Sunrise in the Time of Corona

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 14

Ordered paper towel on Costco.com about an hour ago.

My parents did not plan ahead despite my begging them to and now it's my emergency. Considering I just got them to staythefuckhome I spent last night trying to find paper towel and hand sanitizer wipes so this is a little victory.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

I saw toilet paper here at Walmart the other day in the middle of the day. The shelves weren't full by any stretch, but there was a square shape of packages (probably three tall, deep and wide of 6-packs), and a worker was putting more out. I didn't buy any because we have plenty. I was just checking while I was there for other things, mostly milk. With the boy being home all day, we're going through milk faster.

We try to get outside every day, and I go out for a walk or bike ride by myself at least once a day if I can. I see a few people, but turn the corner or wait for them to do so to keep my distance. Every time I do, It feels really rude, though. I've decided to at least start smiling at people and saying hello (from a distance) to anyone I can make eye contact with. I don't normally do that on walks because I prefer not to engage people I don't know, but I figure everyone needs a little contact with someone outside their own house.

I'm irrationally annoyed at all the people on Facebook who are talking about how this is such a good time to slow down and spend time with your family and eat dinner together and learn what is really important because we already did all that. We always eat dinner together (even when it's a rush because we have Scouts that evening). And we even do Scouts together because my husband and I are the den leader's for the boy's den. I know it's irrational, but it annoys me because it feels as though they are saying I should be grateful for this time together. And maybe I should, but I'm still working at home, as is my husband, while also still trying to put together lessons for the boy.

Which brings me to my other irrational annoyance: the thing people keep sharing about how 10 years from now, the kids are going to look back and say it was the best time because they remember scavenger hunts in the backyard and their parents always being there, etc. That just makes me feel like a bad mom (nothing like the Internet for doing that) because we aren't doing scavenger hunts and extra crafts and baking together, etc., because I still have to work. (I wanted to yell that in all caps, but I restrained myself.) I'm at home, and my husband is at home, but we're both still putting in eight hours of work a day. I take breaks for things like Go Noodle exercises (seriously good exercise for people who haven't done a lot of exercise) and lunch together, but I don't have time (or inclination) to teach the boy to bake or cook or create fun (and messy) crafts (that I'll have to clean up) or make elaborate scavenger hunts.

I don't say anything to these people because I know that the thought helps some people. It just annoys me.

Sorry for the rant. It turned out considerably longer than I thought.

• Like 14

Update from the grocery store!  My store had plenty of everything except rice, dried beans, and paper products.  The people who were there (and there seemed to be an awful lot of people there) didn't appear to be buying extra of anything, but the cashier told me that if I ever need paper products, I pretty much needed to be at the store when the doors opened.  They said they restock to full shelves every night, and the first people in buy it all up immediately.  They weren't sure what was going on with the rice.  I more or less did my usual shop, except that the Easter candy was on sale, so I may or may not have bought extra of some of those.

I am going to have to go back later today, though.  I really want a roasted chicken, but they had just put them in the roaster.

Oh, and they had plenty of croutons, of which they had none last Saturday.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, auntjess said:

I heard one saying you could order online.  Think it was Sprint, but may all do it.

I have Verizon; I can definitely order online. It's just hard to figure out what it'll actually cost me. I wanted to go into the store and talk to someone in person, but as far as I know the stores around here are closed, and even if they're open I don't want to go in right now.

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

These days a smart phone costs as much as a computer --and it essentially is a computer-- so, yeah, if you're like me, it could take a year altogether to figure out what you're getting. 
But if this situation goes on for months, you might decide to pull the trigger on buying one. 
I've been fortunate to get all of my smart phones second hand from my and other people's mothers until my current one, which my daughter and her husband got me for free in the past year by having me switch to their family plan. It's an iPhone 7, which should be supported by Apple for at least another year.
I'm not getting the discount from my employer anymore, but it's still cheaper being part of someone's family plan --and we don't even live in the same state. 
So, some more stuff to consider.
Or maybe you could just get the iPad Mini before the current version for a couple of hundred and keep your non-smart phone. 
Yeah, it's not an easy decision. 

I was looking at the iPhone 8...my current phone is a Samsung with the slide-out keyboard but some of the keys are getting...let's say "temperamental." (If they die completely I can still use the keypad on the screen, though.) I also have an old iPod Nano that is getting kind of cranky, so I figured if I get iPhone I can just do all my iTunes stuff on there, too.  

My brother has a habit of giving his hand-me-downs to my dad...he got his first iphone and a Macbook that way (the Macbook that my brother got using my corporate discount with Apple, no less. 😝)

• Like 3

@BooksRule, just to compare experiences:

I'm a reference librarian at a university and we are closed, like really closed, until at least the end of the semester in May. We are all working from home because the only people allowed on campus are construction workers and campus police*. Physical library items are unavailable--no books, no DVDs, no teaching kits, no reserves that aren't electronic, no interlibrary loans that aren't electronic. No fines on books currently checked out because they can't be returned until the university reopens.

We don't keep logs of our activity; we're faculty so unless they're going to ask all faculty to document what they're doing they can go fuck themselves (I'm very passionate about faculty rights 8-), but we are all still working. Instead of being at a physical ref desk we do our shifts by monitoring the chat and messaging apps. They've been pretty active.

We also keep up with the tech classroom faculty have just had to learn so we can help them and the students (IT is swamped). I've lost track of how many tutorials and webinars I watched during the last 10 work days. It was really overwhelming at first--so many things, so many that cover essentially the same functions. I'm glad I used Blackboard when I taught in the fall because it is not user-friendly.

And many of us are taking the time to revise subject guides and all that. I just added a video to one of mine and am going over the others to see where I can add more short videos or Gifs on how to find and use resources.

And we have virtual meetings. So many meetings. I swear I'm seeing more of my colleagues now than we shared the office suite.

I'm having trouble configuring office space at home because my home is a few square feet shy of being a Tiny House. After trying out working from the comfy chair with the keyboard and mouse cords stretched across the room--so tempting to the cat--with text blown up to 150&, and trying to perch on the ottoman and moving the mouse in a 4 inch space, I've ordered wireless ones from Amazon. I'll still have to increase text size on the display but at least the cat won't keep disconnecting things. Probably. She's crafty.

Jesus, this is long. Sorry!

*The campus is also housing about 40 international students and apparently one of the residence halls may be used to house COVID19 patients or healthcare workers.

• Like 10

I'm headed to the grocery store in a little while.  I'm interested to see what's available, and whether I can get all the things on my list.

I was just about to post that we're probably doing the same today--I'm already making my game plan in my head because I don't want to be there any longer than I need to and I don't want any distractions! AND it is cold and rainy today--BOO!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, @bilgistic! That's the article I was going to try to find to post (coronavirus-stimulus-package-questions-answers). It thoroughly answers all the questions about the stimulus payments.

I'll meet you there! (6 feet or one moose-length apart, of course)

For your Mama and for us all, sharing the view from my sunrise walk 2 days ago (yesterday was socked in fog, today is pouring rain; like Janis Joplin sang, "Get it while you can"):

sunrise-in-the-time-of-corona.JPEG

Sunrise in the Time of Corona

That's a very beautiful picture that truly looks like a work of art! Thanks for sharing that with us!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roamyn said:

As I understand it, it's $1200 to all Americans making under $75000 a year, so we all get one.  Unless you have direct deposit set up with the IRS, it will take a few weeks to get the paper checks out.

This is a one time only thing, but if this crisis drags on (and there is every reason to believe it will) they will have to do more in the future, despite the fact that they seem desperate to avoid a Universal Basic Income.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Thanks to all those that provided links.  I saw on FB just a bit ago that those owing back child support won’t get it.  

I worked 3.5 hrs 2day, and our owner had to come in for an emergency pickup for a client.  He said we’re going to stagger people (we started this week since there was a possibility I was exposed - someone at hubby’s work has it) for the next two weeks.  I can do some work from home, and then come in 2 evenings + work a few hours on the weekends.  This way we’ll be able to keep supplying our few open clients (I’m the office mgr & do the billing), and not subject everyone if someone does get it.  And he’ll pay us FT still!

• Like 7
  • Surprise 1

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I was looking at the iPhone 8...my current phone is a Samsung with the slide-out keyboard but some of the keys are getting...let's say "temperamental." (If they die completely I can still use the keypad on the screen, though.) I also have an old iPod Nano that is getting kind of cranky, so I figured if I get iPhone I can just do all my iTunes stuff on there, too.

IIRC, last summer there was little-to-no advantage in paying more for the iPhone 8 than the 7, but I suspect Apple support will go a bit longer for the 8, so, yes! If you reach a point where you need a smart phone in this post-corona world, you at least have my recommendation and approval (FWIW) to get the 8. And I do now have Verizon with my son-in-law's family plan, with no regrets about leaving AT&T after decades.

1 hour ago, ABay said:

@BooksRule, just to compare experiences:

I'm a reference librarian at a university and we are closed, like really closed, until at least the end of the semester in May. We are all working from home because the only people allowed on campus are construction workers and campus police*. Physical library items are unavailable--no books, no DVDs, no teaching kits, no reserves that aren't electronic, no interlibrary loans that aren't electronic. No fines on books currently checked out because they can't be returned until the university reopens.

We don't keep logs of our activity; we're faculty so unless they're going to ask all faculty to document what they're doing they can go fuck themselves (I'm very passionate about faculty rights 8-), but we are all still working. Instead of being at a physical ref desk we do our shifts by monitoring the chat and messaging apps. They've been pretty active.

We also keep up with the tech classroom faculty have just had to learn so we can help them and the students (IT is swamped). I've lost track of how many tutorials and webinars I watched during the last 10 work days. It was really overwhelming at first--so many things, so many that cover essentially the same functions. I'm glad I used Blackboard when I taught in the fall because it is not user-friendly.

And many of us are taking the time to revise subject guides and all that. I just added a video to one of mine and am going over the others to see where I can add more short videos or Gifs on how to find and use resources.

And we have virtual meetings. So many meetings. I swear I'm seeing more of my colleagues now than we shared the office suite.

I'm having trouble configuring office space at home because my home is a few square feet shy of being a Tiny House. After trying out working from the comfy chair with the keyboard and mouse cords stretched across the room--so tempting to the cat--with text blown up to 150&, and trying to perch on the ottoman and moving the mouse in a 4 inch space, I've ordered wireless ones from Amazon. I'll still have to increase text size on the display but at least the cat won't keep disconnecting things. Probably. She's crafty.

Jesus, this is long. Sorry!

*The campus is also housing about 40 international students and apparently one of the residence halls may be used to house COVID19 patients or healthcare workers.

Having just retired from the same position as yours last May, I did read your entire post and totally imagine the entire scenario and more (my apartment is 20" x 22" and I'm freelancing now).
So here's my long short story that you may feel free to disregard:
I was also the library webmaster and happened to notice that they recently changed the landing page search box to have the default tab be articles instead of books, I guess because students are working remotely, but there's tons of ebooks, so IDK what the rationale was. Anyway, I noticed that since they made the change the hard way (it should have been just swapping a zero one place with a one in another) the tabs outlines are missing and/or doubled in places. I sent a fix to my ex-boss, but nobody's fixed it yet. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Like another poster above, I will sometimes take a photo of the stove before we leave for a long trip.  I have also repeated to myself, “off, off, off, off” for each stove dial.   More often, I have my husband check because then it’s not my problem, and he doesn’t worry! 😁

• Like 4

4 hours ago, roamyn said:

From The Wall Street Journal

What about people who owe money to the IRS for prior years? 

Other IRS liabilities won’t come out of the payments and even people who owe back taxes should get the full amount they qualify for.

• Like 3

Do retired people on Social Security get the stimulus check?  If not I was thinking I could send what I get to my Daddy and Stepmother.  Although getting them to accept it will be a battle in itself.

• Like 1