Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Giant Misfit

COVID-19: This Topic Requires No Social Distancing

This is the place where you can share all your stories (or just vent) about the virus -- how you're being affected, how your community is being affected, and your frustrations and anxieties about what we're facing. We're all in this together!

As usual, site rules about political discussion still applies. (You can mention if your governor or local authorities have enacted certain rules - but there's to be no supplemental discussion or debate about politicians, political parties, or political ideologies.) 

• Like 12

My public library just closed for at least the next two weeks.  No overdue fines will be charged during this time.  I guess I'll have to try to figure out their e-book lending system.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Some people are so selfish.   A passenger on Jet Blue from JFK to West Palm Beach (or Palm Beach) told the crew he had just been confirmed with Covid.   However, the article says another passenger was sitting next to the man's wife, and she said he was told the results before they got on the aircraft in NYC.     That resulted in a two hour session for the passengers on the aircraft with health officials, collecting contact information, telling people about symptoms, and quarantine.   Also,  a total clean of the aircraft, two terminals, and hundreds of people now at risk.   Jet Blue banned the man for life, and I hope every other airline in the world does that, as well as Amtrack (or is it Amtrac?).      What a selfish, cruel person he is.    If I was around that person, and later was diagnosed with Covid, I'd sue the jerk.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/jetblue-bans-man-with-covid-19-for-telling-crew-after-flight-2020-3

Also the governor of Oklahoma took his two young kids to one of those family fun places on Saturday night, and then posted how much fun it was.     What a fool.    

Mexico is also having a huge music event, Vive Latina or something like that, with thousands of people right next to each other.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • Sad 6

35 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

My public library just closed for at least the next two weeks.  No overdue fines will be charged during this time.  I guess I'll have to try to figure out their e-book lending system.

Our mayor just declared a state of emergency, and the library is one of the things closed for a couple of weeks. We just went this afternoon to get my son some books because he said he didn't have anything to read (which he does, but he means anything he hasn't already read that he picked out himself).

Unfortunately, I returned an overdue book, but did not pay my fine because I didn't have the cash. So I'm probably still blocked from the ebook site. I have a lot of other books to read, though, so I'll be OK. (Also, I still have work -- at least for now. And if I don't at some point, I have a backlog of puzzles to do.)

I've also stopped touching the stair rails at work. I figure it helps me work on balance as well. My balance isn't bad, but as I get older, I'd like it to stay that way.

Edited by auntlada
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Some people are so selfish.   A passenger on Jet Blue from JFK to West Palm Beach (or Palm Beach) told the crew he had just been confirmed with Covid.   However, the article says another passenger was sitting next to the man's wife, and she said he was told the results before they got on the aircraft in NYC.     That resulted in a two hour session for the passengers on the aircraft with health officials, collecting contact information, telling people about symptoms, and quarantine.   Also,  a total clean of the aircraft, two terminals, and hundreds of people now at risk.   Jet Blue banned the man for life, and I hope every other airline in the world does that, as well as Amtrack (or is it Amtrac?).      What a selfish, cruel person he is.    If I was around that person, and later was diagnosed with Covid, I'd sue the jerk.  

I hope - if he does infect multiple people, which will probably be the case - that they all sue him.  He willfully put others in danger because it was too inconvenient to do the right thing.

• Like 9

I'm from Michigan. My K-12 schools, libraries, events, etc are all on hold until April 6. The university postponed its graduation, which made a lot upset.

My mom can't even visit my grandmother unless it's through the glass window of the memory care facility. And visiting grandma is all she does.

On the upside movie therapy helps. We watched Yesterday on HBO, which was a nice escape. At least we don't live in a world without the Beatles and Harry Potter, right? Ha ha.

I'm literally counting days til April and hoping things are at least better in the state. I know that's stupid to hope for, but it's all that's keeping me going. I do not want to live like this all fucking year. It just reminds me of the "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon" song from Sesame Street, where Ernie sings about how lonely he'd feel away from everyone and everything he loves to do...oh dammit, I feel another crying jag coming on.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 17

Thank you for opening this thread! 

I'm officially work from home after tomorrow (I need to go in and grab some things in the office). My company is not officially working from home but my department is. We're a small group and we handle all communications for our company, so if one of us gets sick we're screwed. My boss decided it's just not worth the risk. Hopefully things get better soon, I tend to get a little stir crazy after a while. 

• Like 5

My county declared a state of emergency today, and schools will be closed starting Wednesday until at least April 18.  I also just got an email from my pastor that on the directive of the bishop, services will be suspended until further notice.

• Like 2

I just made an executive decision today...I'm self-isolating (or whatever it's called). No book clubs, no coffee at the clubhouse gatherings, no lunches out and about, etc. Actually it won't be totally difficult because I think the library is going to suspend its activities and my community's board of directors is going to close down our clubhouse.  I bought 2 containers of wipes (one was Clorox) and was pleased to hear an employee tell the woman next to me, "Only 3 per customer ma'am" (she had grabbed the huge package the wipes containers came in). I also saw another employee stop a man whose cart held several extra big packages of toilet paper & paper towels.  It all feels surreal, wiping door knobs, car door handles & steering wheels, etc.  But before I entered that supermarket, as I was wiping down the cart handle and basket area, a man walked by & said, "Good job! We're gonna get through this".  I liked that.

• Like 14

I don't know who to be angrier with: Disney who should have shut this shit down or the morons who attended who feel they and their small children are impervious to a pandemic:

• Surprise 12
  • Sad 2

It boggles the mind how some people can't comprehend the simple instruction, "Unless it's important, stay home." 

• Like 13

I thought both Disneyland and Disney World were closed. Maybe these parents think only the older folks get coronavirus. Guess they didn't see the picture of that young doctor in China who tried to warn his country about this virus, and then died.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

I haven't left the house in about a week & a half, & I'm starting to go a little stir crazy. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, GaT said:

I haven't left the house in about a week & a half, & I'm starting to go a little stir crazy. 

Let's hope we get through the next 8 weeks and go on with our lives.

• Like 7

For anyone who's interested, keep an eye out for when the latest episode of "Last Week Tonight" uploads online (they'll be going dark from here on out until further notice). It's worth watching-perhaps the best take on this whole crazy situation I've seen yet. 

• Like 1

I'm in New York City where the latest news is that restaurants and bars are shutting down as of Tuesday and will only be allowed take out and delivery of food.  This really is unprecedented.  Actually I had a really bad cold starting about 3 weeks ago and while I knew it wasn't Covid-19  - no fever - I felt so bad that I was already rarely going out.  So it's like I'm already kind of used to the isolating thing.  I'm retired so don't have the work issue but most of my family is working at home.  I really feel for the checkout lady in my supermarket who is handling the nutty lines like a trouper and even mentioned to me that she was glad I had gotten over my cold. So nice.  I can't imagine dealing with the craziness right now.  My concern is mostly not to spread germs to other people though I'm better at this point. But I shouldn't have to shop more than once a week.  I was trying online grocery shopping but right now that's generally pretty pointless, most stores don't have enough items in stock right now and you end up with 3 items that you could have gotten another time.

Be careful everyone and stay safe.

• Like 10

I’m generally a homebody, and I live alone, so it’s not too hard for me to stay home all weekend - sure it gets lonely but I spent hours on the phone and texting with loved ones.

My job consists of a lot of tasks that require being in the office, so my team is having just half our staff in the office, and the other working from home, each day.  But most other teams can work from home every day.  So our building that accommodates several thousand has maybe 20 people tops, working there each day.  It’s kind of fun, being able to yell and scream as we please.

I’m trying to focus on all the little joys I get throughout the day.

• Like 8

I just wanted to update anyone that read in the chit chat thread about my situation on Saturday with my husband, a limo. driver, who had accepted a job picking someone up from JFK coming in from Seattle.  He was going to take the job, but after I plead with him not to, and some friends weighed in on the subject, he decided to decline it.  I was greatly relieved since we are both in our early 60s and while in pretty decent health still suffer from being in the yellow-zone for diabetes, he has high blood pressure, I have fatty liver....Plus I don't do well when I get viruses and often get a worse case than others around me.  I don't want to take any chances.

That said, I am not unhappy now that I tend to stock up on food, household and health related items and have enough to live on for the next few weeks at least.  I am just worried about how my husband is going to handle this as he is not used to being at home and is going to go stir-crazy after a while.  I have been semi-retired for the last 3 years so I'm used to being at home, just not this much.  At least we'll get all the garage cleaning out of the way.  I worry about our finances, though.  My husband has to get over his pride and not be afraid to ask for help from his richest client, who has pretty much told him he has his back financially.  I just have to keep a positive attitude and hope I can prevent my husband from going out of his mind.

Thanks to the board for this thread, I think we need it!

• Like 21

Wise decision. I don't blame him for wanting to take the job, but given the circumstances, yeah, I'm glad he listened to you guys. I hope he'll be able to find something to do to keep himself occupied and entertained in the meantime :). Even just a brief stroll around the yard might help a little if he needs some fresh air after a time. And hopefully all goes okay on the financial front for you two as well. 

• Like 2

Just now, Annber03 said:

Wise decision. I don't blame him for wanting to take the job, but given the circumstances, yeah, I'm glad he listened to you guys. I hope he'll be able to find something to do to keep himself occupied and entertained in the meantime :). Even just a brief stroll around the yard might help a little if he needs some fresh air after a time. And hopefully all goes okay on the financial front for you two as well. 

Thanks so much!  A lot of people are going to be in a rough financial spot in the coming weeks.  Now I'm reading that we could be in this situation for a few MONTHS.  No income for 2-3 months is going to ruin a lot of people, including us if we don't get some kind of assistance.  We are just a few years too young to collect retirement income.  I don't want to break that news to hubbie or I don't know what he'll do.  My sales on eBay have dried up completely so that's not even going to help us.  I sell my used and "new with tags" clothing and am selling off some collectible rare pencils my mother left me, but sales went to zero just around the beginning of March, which is unheard of.  Those things are just not in demand right now.  Who needs clothes if they're not going out anyway?  I can't think of a lot of stuff I could potentially sell that would be hot right now.  They've pretty much halted all online sales of sanitizer and other in-demand supplies due to price gouging, not that I have any to spare.

Thanks for the encouragement about walking around the yard, that's just what I need and I'm going to do that tomorrow.  It's amazing how the days start to run into each other in a situation like this.  It's like an alternate reality after a while.  I had a very bad fall and arm break in 2016 and was confined to the house for a couple of months afterward (other than having to be driven to doctor appointments) so I've been down this road before.  It seems overwhelming when you think about it, but it's amazing how you end up adapting and not going as nuts as you thought you would.  You end up finding ways to cope.  I think we're all more resilient than we think we are.  I am astonished at some of the stories my friends are telling me about their experiences with the worst side of humanity at the grocery stores in the past few days.  Thank goodness I haven't had to see that first hand - it's demoralizing.  I just hope my husband's better sense doesn't leave him after a while and he doesn't accept any more risky jobs like that.  What with everything shutting down now I think he's finally seen the light.  Knowing that we won't be out of the woods for a while, though, is making me nervous that he might think it's safe before it actually is.  I have to stop anticipating the worst....Thanks again!  🙂

• Like 4

Yeah, I'm really hoping the "could last months" thing is just mostly fear-based prediction and not a likely reality, 'cause that's going to be a nightmare if it actually comes to pass. Hopefully the theory that the warmer weather will cause the virus to weaken/die off/whatever will come true instead. 

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

It's amazing how the days start to run into each other in a situation like this.  It's like an alternate reality after a while.

Seriously, this week was the definition of that whole "Well, that escalated quickly!" meme. I'm looking back at posts and conversations from last weekend and it feels like it was a month ago at the very least. It's crazy how fast and dramatically things have changed in just a short time. 

I do agree with you that people are more resilient than they think, though. I just keep reminding myself of all the other awful things humans have managed to survive in the past, and we're lucky to live in a time with a lot of great medical advancements and technology as well. Despite all the issues with the testing and whatnot that we're hearing about, I am heartened at the thought and knowledge that there are people out there working round the clock to try and help fight this virus and protect people in whatever way they can. For all the horror stories we've heard from people who've experienced fights and indifferent reactions and crazy conspiracy theories and whatnot, I've also heard some really good stories, too. And living in the age of the internet makes it a lot easier to stay in touch with loved ones, too, even if we can't physically be with them. Even those we've never met in person, we're still concerned about them as well. There are good things to find in the midst of all this insanity, so I hope people focus on those aspects more than the bad stuff (not to say we shouldn't be aware of any bad things happening, if for no other reason than to try and stop them from continuing to happen, but there needs to be that balance). 

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Knowing that we won't be out of the woods for a while, though, is making me nervous that he might think it's safe before it actually is.  I have to stop anticipating the worst....Thanks again!  🙂

Totally understandable. It's valid to be concerned, and given all the unknowns in this particular situation, it's easy to worry and be all, "So what's next?" Hopefully you can find somebody to follow that you trust for updates on what's going on, whether that's online or a particular news outlet or expert, and of course we're here on this forum if you need a break or some positive conversation or whatever as well. Best of luck to you and your husband :). 

• Like 6

I have one college aged child home on spring break (after that his classes all online thru end of semester).  My husband is working from home.  My siblings and I were finally able to convince my mother (87yo) to STAY HOME!  She was being so stubborn about it!  She does not have any health problems but let’s face it.  She’s old! I was so relieved when her library, senior center and church closed until further notice.

I did go to the grocery store yesterday, and it was pretty well stocked (no bottled water, no bananas, no ground meat). 

Ive been walking the dog the past few days on local bike/hike trails, as I usually do, and they were completely empty of people (understandably).  Normally w bright sunny spring weather packed w walkers, runners, bikers etc...it’s nice in a way, and surreal at the same time.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I thought both Disneyland and Disney World were closed. Maybe these parents think only the older folks get coronavirus. Guess they didn't see the picture of that young doctor in China who tried to warn his country about this virus, and then died.

I was surprised they stayed open as long as they did...

I have a friend who, she and her husband are OBSESSED with Disney (I question how we can be friends at times in regards to the Disney obsession LOL).  They’ve gone 4 times this year already, and were going to go for their kids spring break (now).  I told her she was nuts.  She found out it was closed and is all upset about it.  Really?  😒

• Like 10
  • Surprise 1

GOD. Apparently, Pennsylvania is closing all of its state-run liquor stores tomorrow. While we can buy beer and wine in some grocery stores now, the grocery store selections are pretty terrible and life is way too short to drink that shitty stuff. Anyway, I was in the parking lot at 8:48 this morning to wait for the 9:00 a.m. opening. At 9, I was like the 15th person in the store. I kept my distance from the other shoppers and the cashiers and sanitized my hands when I got in the car. But, by that time, there had to be at least 30 people (and more lined up in their cars) inside. While I applaud the governor for closing these stores for the foreseeable future, they should have at least had someone outside controlling how many people they were letting in at one time in order to ensure the appropriate amount of distancing. It's a small store! 

Anyway, happy to have my supply of good wine. And I did stop at the local bakery next door to buy two donuts which I stress ate when I got home. 

• Like 11

Just now, Giant Misfit said:

GOD. Apparently, Pennsylvania is closing all of its state-run liquor stores tomorrow. 

Do they think that’s safe?! 🤣

• Laugh 9

WTF close liquor stores? This is exactly when they're needed!

Day 1 of working from home. I helped a student looking for sources and learned how to use the various chat feature in TEAMS (I don't know I always see it capitalized but it probably stands for something). Now I'm on a break. For exercise, I'm going to take the garbage out.

Since I live in the world's smallest house that is not actually a Tiny House, my home office consists of 2 shaky tray tables. So far, so good. The cat only tried to occupy the chair once.

I have a physical therapy appointment this afternoon. They haven't sent a cancellation text so I'm planning to go.

• Like 4

That reminds me, I need to run to the liquor store during lunch.

Today is my last day in the office for the foreseeable future and I'm taking things out to my car in shifts so the security guys don't think I'm looting my office (I'm taking two large monitors and a docking station). I'm going to set up my home office in my dining room and finally get some use out of that big table. 

I'm pretty much set, but it's going to get mentally hard pretty quick, I think. It's been raining here since last Tuesday and the 10 day forecast has nothing but rain every single day. That, plus being cooped up in my house with a stir crazy dog, is going to be a challenge. 

• Like 8

I'm working from home today, at the request of my boss. Apparently, the wife of a guy in my office suite is sick and has been tested for COVID-19, but the results aren't back yet. I think that's why she requested the other three of us in the suite to stay home today (at least). The people he was in a meeting with on Friday, however, are at the office, which seems strange. They saw him at much closer range for a longer period more recently than I have. He tends to stay in his office, and I stay in mine, so we don't see each other much. It's the same suite, but we all have actual offices with doors, not just cubicles.

I'm OK with it, though, as I had planned to take annual this afternoon anyway because it's spring break, and my husband and I split the days so one of us is at work, and one of us is home. Since I'm now working from home, I think I can just work from home and not have to take the annual. (I think. I haven't actually asked yet as my boss is also out.) I do wish I had thought to bring home a few things on Friday. I almost did, but then thought that I probably wouldn't need the stuff. I should have done it.

I have actually gotten quite a lot done this morning, though, including a meeting.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I thought both Disneyland and Disney World were closed.

Disney World (Florida) is closed as of today, Disneyland (California) closed on Friday. We were planning to head down to Florida on Thursday for the IMSA sports car races in Sebring, then Sunday and Monday with the Mouse, but that's all been cancelled.

My company isn't officially in a work-from-home status yet - I'm a contract employee at a large banking/financial services organization. We've had a couple of people in other locations test positive, and my manager (we're a team of about 10 business analysts) said we can WFH if we so desire.  GF's company officially sent everyone home to work, so now she and Jake are camped out at my place. We were both out to the supermarket on Friday, so we have a stocked fridge, work to keep us busy, and a goofball dog to keep us entertained!

• Like 10

So I work for Michigan Dep of Transportation, and our staff I'd being given a choice: work from home if you can or stay. This way we can cut the number of people in the building. I'm staying because I've got no work laptop and its easier than lugging my stupid desktop. Plus it's an excuse to get out of the house, and I know to be careful.

Restaurants are going take out/delivery only. I'm dreading if they'll close malls -- without the libraries, I don't have Barnes and Noble, I have NOTHING. But I'm resigned to life being like this for a few weeks.

3 hours ago, Kelly said:

I was surprised they stayed open as long as they did...

I have a friend who, she and her husband are OBSESSED with Disney (I question how we can be friends at times in regards to the Disney obsession LOL).  They’ve gone 4 times this year already, and were going to go for their kids spring break (now).  I told her she was nuts.  She found out it was closed and is all upset about it.  Really?  😒

Wow. Look I feel bad for all the people who had to cancel their Disney vacations but they've already gone four times this year?! SMH.

The thing that's keeping me going is thinking about how happy I'll be in the next month or so when this is all over (please God). I swear I will never take anything for granted ever again.

"Cause I don't want to live on the moon...."

• Like 9

My son is now doodling with Mo Willems. If you have children (or if you're just bored or like to draw or like children's books or like Mo Willems), go to YouTube and search for Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems.

• Like 6

My mom's eye doc just called and cancelled her appointment for today which is a big relief - its raining like crazy so I wasn't looking forward to the freeway and more importantly, she is almost 94 and has dormant lung cancer so she in the highest risk segment of the population and the less exposure to the public the better right now. Unfortunately she does have a doctor's appointment tomorrow we really need to keep - her iron levels are dangerously low despite supplements and we are consulting with a haemotologist (sp? blood doctor person) to schedule an iron infusion which is really medically necessary. Hopefully it won't be raining too hard and the doctor's office will be mostly empty! Our library is still open as of this week which is also really important for us as she can't read books on e-devices and reading is one of her last, best things to do.

• Like 7

I'm hoping my mom's oncologist will refill her chemo prescription without updated blood tests (she's normally tested monthly, and is due this week); I think a building filled with sick people is the one place my mom should definitely avoid.  Those drugs can't be sent by mail, but I can easily go pick them up - my work schedule is very flexible (and I already work from home).

I'm going to brave grocery shopping later today; I mostly need produce, so I'm not particularly worried about not being able to get what I need, I just don't want to have to stand in line for hours to get it because of the panic shoppers.  I'm going to get the cabbage my mom forgot to buy last week and take it to their house - no need for my parents to be among so many strangers in public for something like that.

I also need to go to the post office, one store in a mall, and to get my car smog checked, then I have a dentist appointment tomorrow; after that, I can avoid the public all week.  Since I already work from home (and am highly introverted), I'm not bothered by the lack of interaction - especially since a friend and I get together three nights a week to go for a walk.

I should add more exercise, because I'm planning to order delivery from my favorite local restaurants as much as I can; the service jobs lost and the financial hit to small businesses just makes me ill to think about, so if I can't go in to eat, I want to do what I can to help them be able to reopen and hire people back when this shutdown is over.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5

I already WFH full-time anyway, so no real change to my daily routines, other than my grandson’s elementary school is closed this week (after being closed last week for spring break) while they figure out a plan. So I am babysitting; fortunately my grandson can generally keep himself entertained so he doesn’t interfere with my work. But local grocery stores are closing early, and several retailers are just shutting their doors for a couple of weeks until they see how things go. 

I was indirectly exposed to the virus a couple of weeks ago, and my daughter and I have both been somewhat sick since a few days after that. Not sure if it’s the virus or a sinus infection or something else, but the symptoms have been so mild we both feel it would be more of a risk to go to a doctor or walk-in clinic. So, unless one or both of us gets worsening symptoms, we’re staying put. My grandson was already possibly exposed at the same time his mother was, and bluntly there’s no other viable option for him right now, unless my son or DIL are told to stay home. 

• Like 3

I'm home today, but not because my work place has closed (I worked a recent Sunday, so I was entitled to a day off when I could take it).  So far my campus is staying open, but spring break (which was this week) has been extended through next week and then all classes will be fully online after that (likely through the end of the semester).  Campus offices (including the library where I work) will remain open as long as possible, although if someone from my campus (I'm at a regional campus, not the 'main' one) tests positive for the virus it could change.  I'm hoping we can stay open as long as possible, even if we go to shorter hours and fewer staff, because some of our students don't have access to reliable internet or any internet at all, and our library and campus computer lab computers might be their only access to their online classes. If the campus closes, I have two possible scenarios.  If we are asked to work from home (for those of us where it's possible.  Some staff only work directly with the students checking in/out books/DVDs, etc., so they don't have work they could do from home), I've been planning as of Friday to make sure I bring any paper files home with me every day in case I get word not to come back to work.  I think I could work from home for at least several weeks before I run out of projects.  As long as I have Microsoft Office, an internet connection and access to the library's 'system', I'm good. I can even log in to our 'online research assistance' app and help students during my scheduled times. My second scenario is if we are told to just stay home (but are not officially 'working').  I might still do a little work, but I have enough books to read (or re-read), DVDs, and yard work to do to keep me busy for a long time.

I have to admit that I caved and did a little bit of 'almost panic' shopping a few minutes ago. I stopped by the vet's office to pick up medicine for my cats and went by the grocery store to see what was up.  Still lots of produce, so I got some fresh salad ingredients and potatoes.  The meat section was almost empty (I had hoped to get some chicken to divide up for the freezer, although I do have some frozen). I got some cube steaks instead. The bread aisle was almost empty but I got a loaf of white bread (this was a 'panic' buy, because I've been trying to avoid white breads. I'll put it in the freezer 'just in case'). I also bought a variety of canned veggies (I usually only buy canned tomatoes and the occasional can of tiny potatoes), and a couple of boxes of macaroni and cheese (and I'm trying to avoid high sodium processed foods). I also got a few cans of cat food (even though I should have plenty).  I was proud of myself for avoiding the usual 'hurricane stockpiling' purchases such as Vienna Sausage and Spam. 🙂 

• Like 3

It's funny the things you don't think about till they crop up.  Today my husband mentioned that our cars are due for inspection/registration by the end of the month and that he'd called our mechanic to make an appointment but hadn't heard back yet.  I thought it wasn't an essential activity, since we've decided to self-quarantine and won't be driving anywhere except in case of an emergency--which this isn't.  So I told him to forget the appointment, and I called the DMV and spoke to a really nice woman.  (We live in a state where you can still actually get a live human on the phone at government offices.)  She told me there's a standard one-month grace period, so that takes us till the end of April.  I asked what would happen if we were stopped on the road after that without up-to-date stickers--would there be some general amnesty if we were still dealing with COVID by that point?  She said such contingencies were under discussion, so it's nice to know that somebody's thinking ahead a little.

We're also going to let the recyclables pile up in the garage for the foreseeable future.  And I remembered to wash my hands after going through the mail, which it occurs to me is a good idea even when there isn't a pandemic.

• Like 5

I've worked from home for about 10 years, so, that will continue.  However, one of the reasons for this is my anxiety.  I was amazed that it hadn't been triggered by the virus situation.  As my friend said when I mentioned that, "Pfft, you self-isolate as it is".  True enough.  The thing is, I make sure I do go out at least every 3 days because if I don't it becomes way too easy to not leave the house.

So, now, I am getting wound up.  If we do get to a point that we can't leave our homes, I'm afraid it could lead to full blown agoraphobia.

Also, even though I went to the grocery store on Saturday, and really, it wasn't that bad, and I was able to get what I needed, I just got enough probably a week and half, two weeks, figuring takeout would still be an option.  So, now I'm worried about not having enough if takeout/delivery is not available.

And, I don't just worry, I obsess.

I did put in a call to my therapist that I saw when it was bad before.  The receptionist said that phone sessions were possible, but, my EAP said she would have to amend her contract to include telephonic sessions.  EAP give 6 free visits.  I don't think she would want to amend her contract and when I tried to call back I guess they had closed for the day.  I can pay out of pocket, I just got my bonus, so, that is ok.  Her first availability is the 24th which I did schedule when I first called, I just need to call back tomorrow and tell them it won't be EAP.

I just really, really hope that it doesn't come down to we are required to be in our homes and not leave at all.  I  mean even to just drive around for a few minutes would be helpful.  I just know the longer I go without opening the door and leaving the harder it becomes and I am really, really scared of getting to that point.

For the first time, I'm well not glad, I guess relieved the cats have all passed.  At least I don't have to worry about inadvertently exposing them should I be and bring it home.  I know they are saying they don't believe that at least dogs don't get it and it can't be passed back and forth but I don't think they know for certain yet.

I apologize this is so long and so all me, me, me  - I think I just needed to get it all out and maybe out of my head for just a bit.  

• Like 12

I got my car inspected today, along with an oil change.  I wondered about wiping down my steering wheel, but noted that the mechanics were wearing latex gloves, so I'm going to hope for the best.  

I'm still going to work for now.  I need to order some supplies for work, but I'm hesitant -- if we close for real, there won't be anyone available to receive and unpack the supplies.

• Like 4

I was fortunate to grab a same-day delivery from Fairway (the website was weirdly jumping between "within 5 hours" and "next delivery Saturday evening") and by chatting with the shopper I was able to get something close to what I needed so I was able to make up for the things I forgot at the store yesterday.  Up to now I've been rather obsessively following the virus coverage on local Spectrum NY1 channel (who are doing a great job with it) but now I've started playing a 60s-heavy local Oldies station that broadcasts through a TV sub-channel from New Jersey.  Just need a break.  Sometimes music helps.

• Like 2

Restaurants are closing at 8 in CT, but delivery/take out will be available. I usually go out once a week and order delivery maybe once. Starting tomorrow and as long as my Visa card can take it, I'm going order from the restaurants I usually go to. They're all local, small businesses.

The grocery store I go to has been 24 hours but is now going to 7:30 am - 8:30 pm. If you're 60 or o ver, you can go 6:30 - 7:30. This is going to interfere with my usual shopping...can I pass for 60? I expect so. Are they going to card people?

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, tiftgirl said:

For the first time, I'm well not glad, I guess relieved the cats have all passed.  At least I don't have to worry about inadvertently exposing them should I be and bring it home.  I know they are saying they don't believe that at least dogs don't get it and it can't be passed back and forth but I don't think they know for certain yet.

I just read a thing earlier that says that it doesn't look like cats can get this, either. It seems pets are pretty okay right now, thank goodness 🙂. Hopefully that remains the case. 

I apologize this is so long and so all me, me, me  - I think I just needed to get it all out and maybe out of my head for just a bit.  

Rant away! This is the safe place to do that. You're certainly not alone in your anxiety and concern, after all, so... Hope that helped you a little bit. I think driving around in your own car, just on your own, should be okay if you need to do that, or like stated, just hanging out in your front or back yard for a few minutes could be good, too.

28 minutes ago, roseha said:

Up to now I've been rather obsessively following the virus coverage on local Spectrum NY1 channel (who are doing a great job with it) but now I've started playing a 60s-heavy local Oldies station that broadcasts through a TV sub-channel from New Jersey.  Just need a break.  Sometimes music helps.

Yeah, I've been listening to a lot of music, too. 

My mom just got back from the store and she wasn't able to get some of the stuff on our list 'cause they're out of a lot of it at the moment. But we'll keep checking when need be. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ABay said:

Restaurants are closing at 8 in CT, but delivery/take out will be available. I usually go out once a week and order delivery maybe once. Starting tomorrow and as long as my Visa card can take it, I'm going order from the restaurants I usually go to. They're all local, small businesses.

The grocery store I go to has been 24 hours but is now going to 7:30 am - 8:30 pm. If you're 60 or o ver, you can go 6:30 - 7:30. This is going to interfere with my usual shopping...can I pass for 60? I expect so. Are they going to card people?

My New York casinos have all shut down. Man, those two casinos in CT really put a fight there. I didn't know they are a sovereign state there.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Like 1

MN Gov. Tim Walz just announced all dine-in restaurants will be closed through March 27th. He's already closed all the schools for the same period. With POTUS using scary words like "July" and "August", I imagine it could go a lot further than that. 

• Like 4

I had no problem getting produce at my local market, and the meat and deli counters were well stocked, so I got the few things I needed from there, too.  But then I got a craving for spinach, artichoke, and cheese dip, even though I figured I'd be SOL on frozen spinach and canned artichoke.  Indeed.  But then I got the bright idea to go to a store in a working class neighborhood, where people can't afford to just sweep everything from the frozen and canned sections into their cart in their panic, and artichokes would be more of a specialty item.  Sure enough - there was plenty of canned artichoke and about ten bags of frozen spinach, so I was able to grab one of each (and some chips), so I can make comfort food tonight now that the usual Monday night walk I take with a friend has been rained out.

(It looks like we'll be able to do our Wednesday and Friday walks, and I certainly hope so, or we're both going to go stir crazy.)

I checked my parents' refrigerator when I dropped off their groceries, and I'll need to get them more milk in a week or so, but otherwise they're stocked for a couple of weeks. 

I ran out of time (again) to get my car's smog check done (damn, I wish I'd done that Friday as originally planned!), so I'll do that tomorrow after the dental appointment and after I get cat food (I tried today, but they were out [it's frozen raw food], so I have to go back after tomorrow's shipment is unloaded). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I ran out of time (again) to get my car's smog check done (damn, I wish I'd done that Friday as originally planned!), so I'll do that tomorrow after the dental appointment and after I get cat food (I tried today, but they were out [it's frozen raw food], so I have to go back after tomorrow's shipment is unloaded). 

Got an email from my dentist today saying that they are closing down at least through April. I had an appointment on 3/31, but had already changed it to 5/7. Hopefully it will be safe to go by then, but it's iffy. I actually went out to the pet food store today, because the stupid store doesn't do delivery & I wanted some things that only they carry. I was the only person wearing latex gloves & I spent $110.00 on cat food, I better not have to go there for a long time.

We got the official alert today to stay home & not go out unless it's for essentials like food or medical, so it looks like we are inside for the long haul. I miss Starbucks 😥

• Like 1

The a coworker is getting married on 4/4 and I asked her this morning if she’d been in contact with the venue.

She said they told her that the venue said they’re a private facility, so the Governor’s order of no more than 100 people (if beyond 2wks), doesn’t apply to them.  But it specifically said ‘weddings, indoor & outdoor in controlled space’.  Should I mention that to her?  Can the venue get in trouble if they still proceed?  She said they can re-schedule for a Sunday in the fall, but they don’t want to do that.

50 minutes ago, roamyn said:

The a coworker is getting married on 4/4 and I asked her this morning if she’d been in contact with the venue.

She said they told her that the venue said they’re a private facility, so the Governor’s order of no more than 100 people (if beyond 2wks), doesn’t apply to them.  But it specifically said ‘weddings, indoor & outdoor in controlled space’.  Should I mention that to her?  Can the venue get in trouble if they still proceed?  She said they can re-schedule for a Sunday in the fall, but they don’t want to do that.

I don't know that I'd follow up with a co-worker multiple times on something they looked into.

But I find it kind of fishy to think that a private venue would be exempt when most of the bans specifically mention exempting some specific venues/businesses that are also private.  Seems more like they think they can go under the radar and are concerned about their cash flow.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

MN Gov. Tim Walz just announced all dine-in restaurants will be closed through March 27th. He's already closed all the schools for the same period. With POTUS using scary words like "July" and "August", I imagine it could go a lot further than that. 

It could vary with each state. And without getting political, he doesn't have the best track record of getting things right.

Is anyone else getting sick of people using the word "unprecedented" about this (among other things)? Like seriously, if I have to hear it one more time....

• Like 7

Procrastination has kind of bitten me in the ass.

My mechanic wanted $800 to fix my driver side window (it doesn't go down).  My brother was going to fix it for $15 if I just bought the part.

Welp.  Now I'm giving up fast food since everything has gone drive thru only.

But I'm going to have to write a note for the window and crawl to the passenger side if I need to get a drive thru covid 19 test.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

It sounds as though they're going to need to make a decision fast re whether to keep pinning everything on a 'perfect, dream' wedding happening or accepting that, especially in times as these, the best laid plans of mice and men simply aren't fated to work out and one needs to put on one's grown-up pants and make the most pragmatic decision re the current reality!

One of my friends had planned a big wedding in Florida  at the end of the month with an extensive honeymoon there, but she told me today that she just went ahead and had a dry, legal service over this past weekend with a tiny number of folks in her apartment to celebrate! Not as fun but at least she and her new husband are together starting a new life drawing strength from each other!

• Like 6