Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

S05.E06: Better to Marry Than Burn

Recommended Posts

Quote

The Regulator Rebellion reaches a boiling point, forcing Jamie to face his fear.

Reminder: This is the No Book Talk topic. No discussion of the books is allowed including saying "in the books..." Posts may be removed without warning.

Share this post


Link to post

Very emotional scene with Murtagh and Jocasta and superb acting from Maria Doyle Kennedy. It was interest seeing some of Jocasta’s backstory. 

Back to rutting from Jamie and Claire. Sorry, I’d rather see more of the healing (and I really dislike Caitriona Balfe’s angry face 😛 ).

Nice to see Lord John Grey, if only briefly.

I don’t know the actor playing Wylie, but he was brilliantly smarmy. I kinda wanted to see more of him! 

Not enough scenes with Fergus and Marsali. They need to write in some lengthy dialogue for Fergus. He’s being resigned to giving us short side  (though appreciably smouldering) glances. We need to see more of this gorgeous man. And I like the character. Young  Romann Berrux played him so well, but we’ve barely been given a chance to see César Domboy use his acting chops. I hope they expand his role eventually. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Finally, Roger does something useful!

Poor Jocasta. She gave Murtagh a chance to speak his mind before she accepted that crusty old dude's proposal so having him show up the night before the wedding to ask her to wait for him was not cool. All he accomplished was breaking her heart again.

Ugh, Wylie is so gross. He just oozes skeeviness.

I'm not into angry sex so the barn scene with Claire and Jamie just had me shaking my head.

6 hours ago, ferjy said:

Not enough scenes with Fergus and Marsali.

I agree. I'd much rather see more of them than Bree and Roger.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, ferjy said:

Very emotional scene with Murtagh and Jocasta and superb acting from Maria Doyle Kennedy. It was interest seeing some of Jocasta’s backstory. 

Back to rutting from Jamie and Claire. Sorry, I’d rather see more of the healing (and I really dislike Caitriona Balfe’s angry face 😛 ).

Nice to see Lord John Grey, if only briefly.

I don’t know the actor playing Wylie, but he was brilliantly smarmy. I kinda wanted to see more of him! 

Not enough scenes with Fergus and Marsali. They need to write in some lengthy dialogue for Fergus. He’s being resigned to giving us short side  (though appreciably smouldering) glances. We need to see more of this gorgeous man. And I like the character. Young  Romann Berrux played him so well, but we’ve barely been given a chance to see César Domboy use his acting chops. I hope they expand his role eventually. 

 

Agree with everything you said.

Gods of casting, can you please give Maria Doyle Kennedy a role where she gets to be happy? Catherine of Aragon, Mrs. Bates, Jocasta...all suffering and unhappy. But I wept during her monologue. And the death of Morna was terribly tragic too. (She mentioned that her daughters died in a fire. To what was she referring?) She is truly an underrated actress.

Sex scene of Jamie Claire was tedious, not hot at all. I actually could live without sex scenes in the show, though I enjoyed season 1 a lot. The issue between them seemed contrived.

Glad Roger got a win! And he shared credit. Sweet!

My dream ending is if they somehow pass Bonnet off as Murtagh and get him executed and Murtagh gets to come out of hiding. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Ok.

I hate it but... something has been 'off' for me for several episodes...no one is having any Conversation that matter, it's frustrating.

I didn't get Jamie and Claire's fight at all.  It made no sense.. and didn't get resolved with mad sex.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

This episode bored me to tears with the exception of the Murtaugh/Jocasta scene at the end. 

I was only half-heartedly watching, so maybe I missed a few things, but why did Jamie need to score Lucas in order to go after Bonnet? They came there on horseback, so they had transportation. Also, given Jamie's connections and the fact that Bonnet is known to be in Wilmington, do they really need Wylie to flush him out? 

Roger scoring a "W" was desperately needed. Poor guy gets no respect.

I 100% agree we need more Fergus. He's been one of my favorite characters since Paris, and I'd love to see the adult version get a meatier plotline. 

Everything else, meh. This is my least favorite episode so far.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, nara said:

She is truly an underrated actress.

You know you're getting a stellar performance line by line whenever her name pops up in the credits. 

I had a good laugh when Roger was going on about the smoke and then stopped and Bree just went - uuh, aaaannd?

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Why is Jocasta marrying this Innes guy anyway? What am I missing here? I don't see what she's getting out of it. She clearly doesn't love him. Their brief scene together in this episode suggested she didn't even like him that much. She doesn't need his money, and she doesn't need an heir, so what's in this for her?

If I am to take it at face value that she simply doesn't want to be alone it's a pretty selfish light to paint her in. She said something to Murtagh  akin to "he'll devote his life to making me happy." Lady? You already have slaves. Innes deserves a woman who actually loves him back (I suppose . . . I mean, we don't even know him). Is Jocasta so needy for attention and adulation?

Quote

She gave Murtagh a chance to speak his mind before she accepted that crusty old dude's proposal so having him show up the night before the wedding to ask her to wait for him was not cool. 

That's another thing that bugs me, and it's essentially the same situation they keep throwing at Bree and Roger. Person #1 is fishing around for some kind of commitment or move, and Person #2 misinterprets this as a rejection and reacts in the opposite way Person #1 wants or expects which further alienates them and drives them further apart. It's Classic Misunderstanding 101 and it's been greatly over-used already on this show.

I mean, what do you expect to hear when you say "Oh by the way, so-and-so has asked me to marry him, and I haven't given him my answer yet, and what do you think of that?" That's fishing. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I don't like on tv that it's ok for women to smack men around. I mean, clearly, the french dandy was going to assault Claire and she had every right to defend herself, but when you're getting into an argument with your husband and your resource is to slap him, then gtfo. 

It was dumb af to gamble the wedding rings, but Jamie was right calling Claire on her claire-ing it up all the time too. 

54 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Why is Jocasta marrying this Innes guy anyway?

She was fairly hell bent on marrying off Bree too. I think it's a high society thing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

 

It was dumb af to gamble the wedding rings, but Jamie was right calling Claire on her claire-ing it up all the time too. 

 

Yeah, Claire always goes about things in the most ridiculous way possible. The logical course of action would've been to excuse herself from Wylie, tell Jamie about the Bonnet connection and formulate a rational plan. Instead, she uses the feminine wiles approach which promptly goes awry when her target tries to sexually assault her. Given that men are particularly rape-y around Claire you'd think she would've abandoned that tactic by now... 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Yeah, Claire always goes about things in the most ridiculous way possible. The logical course of action would've been to excuse herself from Wylie, tell Jamie about the Bonnet connection and formulate a rational plan. Instead, she uses the feminine wiles approach which promptly goes awry when her target tries to sexually assault her. Given that men are particularly rape-y around Claire you'd think she would've abandoned that tactic by now... 

Jaime was right- she thinks too much from the 20th century. (Jaime’s comment about still being a woman should’ve been a wake up call for her).
 

It was a social taboo for a woman to go off alone with ANY MAN EVER. (Besides her husband or other close relative.) For the record I’m not victim blaming, she had every right to kick his ass in defending herself and he was a creep who would’ve raped her. Had he not been a creep and just a guy who thought she wanted to cheat on her husband he wouldn’t have gotten rough with her when she said no. 
 

I don’t think men are particularly rapey around Claire, I think men are more sexually entitled in the 18th century than they are in the 20th and she breaks social taboos which in their minds means she’s “game” for whatever they want to do to her (best case) or she deserves it (worse case). It’s like guys in our time who think because he bought you dinner and you invited him in afterwards you have thus consented to any sexual activity he wants. In 2020 even the creepiest rapist don’t think a woman being out alone means she’s “asking to be raped”. (Of course no one asks to be raped, I am talking about the twisted mind games of the assailant). 

 

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Why is Jocasta marrying this Innes guy anyway? What am I missing here? I don't see what she's getting out of it. She clearly doesn't love him.

Companionship and social standing, some sex. He’s an educated, wealthy Scotsman (not as wealthy as her though) who wants her and will keep her entertained. There were social advantages to being married even for a rich widow like Jocasta. There were places she couldn’t go and business deals she couldn’t do because she didn’t have a penis, and she can’t send Ulysses- he’s a slave. I can imagine she would enjoy time with someone from her homeland who would look out for her business interests when she can’t (even if it doesn’t benefit him directly, there’s networking to be done). Also she doesn’t want to wait around and pine for Murtaugh IMO.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Why is Jocasta marrying this Innes guy anyway? What am I missing here? I don't see what she's getting out of it. She clearly doesn't love him. Their brief scene together in this episode suggested she didn't even like him that much. She doesn't need his money, and she doesn't need an heir, so what's in this for her?

 

Last year, 402, she talked with Jamie about needing a man to do business because in that time is isn’t acceptable for women to run things or make decisions  even though she is capable.  Remember she quickly put him in charge of the plantation.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

This episode bored me to tears with the exception of the Murtaugh/Jocasta scene at the end. 

I was only half-heartedly watching, so maybe I missed a few things, but why did Jamie need to score Lucas in order to go after Bonnet? They came there on horseback, so they had transportation. Also, given Jamie's connections and the fact that Bonnet is known to be in Wilmington, do they really need Wylie to flush him out? 

Roger scoring a "W" was desperately needed. Poor guy gets no respect.

I 100% agree we need more Fergus. He's been one of my favorite characters since Paris, and I'd love to see the adult version get a meatier plotline. 

Everything else, meh. This is my least favorite episode so far.

My hubby was bored to tears too- he said " We need some fighting & killing." Although I saw him look up from his phone when Jamie & Claire started to go at in the barn! I love Jamie & Claire in the afterglow moments-more of those please!

Jamie won the horse & then traded it back for an introduction to Bonnet!

Yay for Roger getting a WIN!

I love Fergus too!

I also liked hearing Jocasta's back story, as sad as it was. Last season I was wondering what happened to any children she'd had???

Edited by Cdh20 · Reason: adding a thought
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Jaime was right- she thinks too much from the 20th century. (Jaime’s comment about still being a woman should’ve been a wake up call for her)

She's still from the 1960s, so it's not like it was super great for women then either. Even if she is a doctor. They had a scene with the Frank season where they were with the faculty and even they were tooling on her. 

I certainly have zero issues with her shoving the guy off and she is in no way to blame for his actions.

To her credit, she's sharp enough to put 2+2 together and figure out they had a way to get at Bonnet, and to his credit, he didn't doubt her and agreed they should take action. 

22 hours ago, BitterApple said:

The logical course of action would've been to excuse herself from Wylie, tell Jamie about the Bonnet connection and formulate a rational plan.

This is entirely reasonable. But, it's Claire. I mean, the scenery is gorgeous but these characters aren't particularly multifaceted. You'd think in the past twenty years they'd both have a little growth. 

 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

She's still from the 1960s, so it's not like it was super great for women then either. Even if she is a doctor. They had a scene with the Frank season where they were with the faculty and even they were tooling on her. 

I certainly have zero issues with her shoving the guy off and she is in no way to blame for his actions.

Of course she had every right to kick his ass. I wasn’t insinuating when didn’t have a right to defend herself, but the 1960s and 1770s are drastically different times for women and social rules about conduct between men and women. Claire tends to conveniently forget that. In season 1 it made sense (She was IN SHOCK) but when she made the conscious choice to go back to the past you’d think she would be a little more cautious in her plans. 

6 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

This is entirely reasonable. But, it's Claire. I mean, the scenery is gorgeous but these characters aren't particularly multifaceted. You'd think in the past twenty years they'd both have a little growth. 

TRUTH. You speak only the truth. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/22/2020 at 11:01 AM, nara said:

Gods of casting, can you please give Maria Doyle Kennedy a role where she gets to be happy? Catherine of Aragon, Mrs. Bates, Jocasta...all suffering and unhappy. But I wept during her monologue. And the death of Morna was terribly tragic too. (She mentioned that her daughters died in a fire. To what was she referring?) She is truly an underrated actress.

Glad Roger got a win! And he shared credit. Sweet!

My dream ending is if they somehow pass Bonnet off as Murtagh and get him executed and Murtagh gets to come out of hiding. 

 

Jocasta said they were going to their daughters' estates (I think to be able for all to go elsewhere (America?)), but following the defeat at Culloden, the daughters and their families' estates were burned and all died in the fires.

Agree with Roger winning, and passing off Bonnet as Murtagh would be genius!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size