Type keyword(s) to search

68 Whiskey - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Roback, Davis, and Petrocelli make their way back to base through treacherous desert. Roback makes a grand gesture to help out Alvarez, complicating things with Durkin. Holloway takes a special interest in one of her patients.

Airing Wednesday, January 22, 2020.

The the promo blurb means nothing for a pilot episode. Just whoooo?

So we have  R Rated China Beach/MASH show. I wonder how my life would have been different if I grew up with Loretta Swit, Dana Delany and Marg Helenberger dry humping with  actors while throwing out endless F bombs.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Raja said:

I wonder how my life would have been different if I grew up with Loretta Swit, Dana Delany and Marg Helenberger dry humping with  actors while throwing out endless F bombs.

At least Dana Delany was hotter than Hell.  (And still is...)

• Love 2

Sooooo edgy.  Hahahahahahaha.

I made it a point to look at Buckley's chest as they encountered him.  Pristine uniform above the waist.  No holes.  No moisture.  Alvarez, you missed nothing.

How many times have you made bets that did not require instant payoff?  How about in a setting like this, not requiring the cash upfront, held by a neutral party?  They still have not paid out.

I'm supposed to care about "transactional" sociopaths?  Holloway is no Frank Burns.  Good.  Who took custody of the rugs?  Robach has not been made to appear before the Colonel?  There is no middle ground here.  Either Holloway is a badass, or she is softhearted.  All the hospital personnel, who would have been the first to take possession of the illicit property, would take serious note of the consequences, or lack thereof. Holloway would have no choice but to go after Robach fiercely.   

There was no room for Robach upon takeoff, by by God, he had all kinds of elbow room when Buckley went south.  We got to see the "bar," in action though.  Tingling here.

Right after Buckley's ill-fated sojourn, any chance the Colonel would have come down like a ton of bricks on any further "missions" outside the wire?  Of course, Petrocelli is such a smooth operator, that wouldn't have been a problem.  AmIright?

Unfortunately for Ron, not Ronnie, Howard, we all have magic fingers, too.  Perfect for operating TV remote controls.  I suspect many will have, or will shortly, put them to good use.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Netfoot said:

At least Dana Delany was hotter than Hell.  (And still is...)

Dana is fine wine!!

I wanted to like it.  I really did.  I'll still hang in there to see what transpires.  Giving your weapons to ANYONE??  Especially in a foreign country (I dont care what side they're on) They could've shown me all the hashish in Afghanistan- you aint getting my weapons.

• Love 4
On 1/16/2020 at 1:06 PM, Kirkydee said:

Dana is fine wine!!

I wanted to like it.  I really did.  I'll still hang in there to see what transpires.  Giving your weapons to ANYONE??  Especially in a foreign country (I dont care what side they're on) They could've shown me all the hashish in Afghanistan- you aint getting my weapons.

That scene was shocking. The one soldier that I knew who has lost his life since 9/11 was a Command Sergeant Major who was killed in a Green on Blue attack by an Afghani policeman.

On 1/16/2020 at 12:15 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I made it a point to look at Buckley's chest as they encountered him.  Pristine uniform above the waist.  No holes.  No moisture.  Alvarez, you missed nothing.

How many times have you made bets that did not require instant payoff?  How about in a setting like this, not requiring the cash upfront, held by a neutral party?  They still have not paid out.

I'm supposed to care about "transactional" sociopaths?  Holloway is no Frank Burns.  Good.  Who took custody of the rugs?  Robach has not been made to appear before the Colonel?  There is no middle ground here.  Either Holloway is a badass, or she is softhearted.  All the hospital personnel, who would have been the first to take possession of the illicit property, would take serious note of the consequences, or lack thereof. Holloway would have no choice but to go after Robach fiercely.   

There was no room for Robach upon takeoff, by by God, he had all kinds of elbow room when Buckley went south.  We got to see the "bar," in action though.  Tingling here.

Right after Buckley's ill-fated sojourn, any chance the Colonel would have come down like a ton of bricks on any further "missions" outside the wire?  Of course, Petrocelli is such a smooth operator, that wouldn't have been a problem.  AmIright?

Unfortunately for Ron, not Ronnie, Howard, we all have magic fingers, too.  Perfect for operating TV remote controls.  I suspect many will have, or will shortly, put them to good use.

Yuppers.  I am over and OUT.

On 1/16/2020 at 12:15 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I have noticed a lot of basic cable networks premier episodes often front loaded sex scenes which then disappear in later episodes. As the show stands now I can't watch it if my mom or granddaughter is around. Meanwhile my wife would be telling me not to be getting any ideals.

• LOL 2

I've never been outside a wire in a hazardous area.  However, I can safely assure you that just about the last thing I would do is absorb substances which would dull my senses and my ability to focus.

It seems an impossibility that Holloway would have any actual bite to go with her bark now that we see the Colonel is a self-admitted eunuch. 

Of all the outrageous suspensions of disbelief required to watch this quality entertainment, the consequence-free failure to pay the bets off on the fight is the most fantastical.

I like the Goliath character, but the acting by Derek Theler is arguably the most wooden I have seen since I saw a high school stage "Pinocchio." 

• LOL 3

Was the flashback depicted at the end foreshadowing for what the Paramount executives are gonna do to this show?

How on earth did Holloway manage to get the authorization for that helo mission?

The one redeeming scene for me, as it reflected reality, was when the Brit surgeon asked her if Roback was "protected" or on her shit list.  The man took his cue and dealt accordingly.  Of course, the very deep irony is that Holloway is now complicit in abetting Roback's hash scheme.  

The Colonel took zero interest in Roback's release nor the mission he went on (Saving Qasem), yet he is freaking out about the nuptials?  

Roll Tide.  

• Useful 1

Roback spooked by Alvarez' snooty retort?  Yeah.  

The two best scenes for me were Austin's briefing and then his convo with Holloway about loving the action more than their families.  Some interesting truths came out.

The contents of the letter home were an atrocity.  This show simply can't get past its dark need to be edddddgggggyyyyy.  Maybe if they got a Sam Kinison-copycat to spew the hatred in that missive it would have been fun. 

The show is hemorrhaging viewers.  I blame Boz.

The interaction between the Brit surgeon and Alvarez as she was removing the shrapnel from his back was a perfect illustration of why this show is such a mess.   On the one hand, there was a high-concept set-up with the surgeon commanding surgery on himself, mixed in with a healthy dose of absurdly halting/clunky/naive reactions by Alvarez.  We had a true crisis chock full of life/death decisions where adaptation was the rule of rules.  Alvarez never ceases noting irregularities, demanding approvals.  This is the same Alvarez who, in the field, is hyper-focused on mission and being highly creative and savvy.   

Don;t get me started on Holloway exclaiming to nobody in particular, the particulars of triage to folks who have been performing it routinely for as long as they have been there.  TPTB simply refused to give viewers credit for grasping such basic protocols without them being shouted at us - never mind the myriad command decision Holloway needed to make super quickly as the OR location was being transferred.  Did you hear any screams from the victims as they were being cut, aside from the occasional and ridiculous shouts from the Brit?

Another yooge issue with this ep was the calm aftermath.  That base was fully normalized within one day.  There was no obvious physical damage seen and no obvious re-construction taking place.  Remember...we were informed there would be no re-supply of anything for at least a day.  

The June Taylor dancers were much better at the coordinated circle dance which we saw as the Taliban and the drug outfit had their standoff.  Springtime for morphine?  Mel Brooks approves.

Finally, the entire time Roback and his buddy were hatching their scheme to keep the cash, there was not a single mention or acknowledgement that Khalil knew what was going on.  Were they gonna frag him?  

• Love 1

I had a few minutes and finally came back. No drugs in high school the US military has been doing random drug test since the 80's. And a black officer putting up with stuff to rise in this century, give me a break. 

• Love 2

The gang discovers the solution to many of their problems, but getting their hands on it won't be easy. Holloway gets a surprise visit. Davis struggles with a major decision.

Airdate: 03/11/2020

Why did I get the feeling that the canine was the smartest of all...he jumped on the basket and got the heck out of the show as soon as he got the chance.

Isn't it amazing how non-edgy the show has become?  All characters are recognizable, making classically rational decisions.  Did Ronnie & Co. figure out that presenting war is, of itself, plenty edgy?

I like the Colonel more and more.  Yet, I do not understand how he will survive his position now that he is directly interfering with the eeeeeeevil Sec Corp.  Either that company has the juice, or it does not.  We have seen that it does.  Dramatically, this arc is so problematic because the victims are not likeable.  I am supposed to care about a village which will ostracize, and worse, the little sister of the Major's love interest?  

The model hussy as Radar just does not work.  When did she become "a person"?  Why?

The device of the squad leader who was trying to save his badly injured mate in the minefield worked very well as a stand-in for viewers:  Even though he got what Roback was trying to do, the insanity employed to get there was just too much for him - and for many of us. 

The gang heads deep into Taliban country to find the missing cash. Austin makes a final push against SecCorp.

Airdate: 03/18/2020

According to a note on TV Datatbase, this is the season finale. 

being home from work for the next few days, i thought I'd give this show a try.  Sorry I did, why is it that Hollyweird seems to think that characters on shows these days have to be so unlikeable?  It's hard to find anything about any of these characters is that they are all unpleasant with no, as of yet, redeemable qualities. 😴

• Love 1

I see your point, but this show and the characters have grown on me and Hubby.  (I was kinda surprised to find this in the "Comedy" catagory here).  I'm hoping it gets another chance and gets renewed.  

At least the prize for SecCorps in all this (lithium) makes sense.

So Qasem comes to visit his lover.  All he was asked to do was step back.  Tis man who spends almost every waking moment in terror of being discovered as less than a true tribal member and long ago figured out how to maneuver with the least possible ripples in his wake refuses to comply.  So unnecessary.  Yet that is the hallmark of so much of this show.

Remarkably, Sasquatch has become the best character.  They gave the freak some humanity and it's worked.  

It's a very bad look when a writer spends a considerable amount of time creating a drop-deadline and then we get a yooge, "Neverminnnnnd!"  Davis had zero time and he was made to choose:  Trust Roback to git 'er done, or take off his uniform.  Now, miraculously, he can stay long enough to make a sure decision.  Did I miss where the Colonel and Jennings gave forbearance?  Well, we all know Jennings is a fool, right?  He would not have made double-dog sure that Davis was all his.  Right?  Nah.  Davis is still in uniform.

It's just ducky with all concerned that these medics and the pilot are recreating Kelly's Heroes.  There aren't any American personnel who may otherwise have lived should anything happen.  I know, that's me with all the negative waves.

It's a shame Ronnie went for edgy at the expense of all else when he debuted this series.  The characters in this ep most all worked really well even if the caper was a bit much.  The evolution of Sasquatch was pretty cool.  

If the show is renewed, I'd put a quid or three on the proposition that Qasem and Holloway wed and they adopt the kid rescued in the money mission.  The three-way parlay would be compete with Mrs. Qasem resigning her commission and joining the UN or some such agency.

Everyone kept saying they "got" Roback.   Would someone kindly clue me in?  Many thanks.  He would be soooo screwed now that he is a signatory to alleged war crimes by Sec Corps.  Who he is not?  Steve flippin' McQueen.  How shameful and embarrassing TPTB decided to re-enact the cooler scene of The Great Escape with the bouncing ball and the mitt.  

Davis?  We know what he is:  A damn fool.  The next demonstration of a core principle from him will be the first.  Folks who constantly vacillate typically pay a large price.  He is not the first to want things all his way.  Knowing this show, he just might end up with a medal for stealing money and placing comrades and vital equipment in such peril.

The blonde Radar is problematic.  It is unpossible to care about such an unrealistic character.  She is whatever a writer in a given ep needs her to be.  Maybe she can be the next Peloton girl?  For the show, she works best as the cynical, angry, and selfish we first met.  The new matronly and warm version is a snore.  The evolution of Hot Lips similarly ruined a key dynamic in M*A*S*H. 

I don't care about any of the arcs in this show, save possibly Col. Austin's fight with Sec Corps, to root for a series pick-up by Paramount.  Given the heaviest of hitters (Howard) who is helming it all, it does not bode well that a renewal has yet to be announced.