Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
iMonrey

Flipping 101 With Tarek El Moussa

Anyone else catch this new show? Right off the bat I'd have to say another flipping show is overkill at this point. We already have shows like First Time Flippers and that's basically what this is, with Tarek hosting. 

I really think Tarek and Christina have overstayed their welcome at this point. They pretty much lost any appeal they had with the end of their marriage. 

The most interesting thing was watching Tarek go from beard to no beard from one scene to the next. It's very much like how Christina goes from extensions to no extensions from one scene to the next. Continuity is not their friend.

• Like 1

Tarek's Flipping 101 was actually more entertaining than Christina On The Coast.

That's a pretty low bar though. I certainly like him better than her. And in theory this could be a decent show. Each episode is going to rest on the appeal of the flippers. It just feels like there is such a glut of shows about first time flippers.

• Like 2

This does follow the usually first time flippers story, with clueless fools who listen to no one.  I hope that's just added for drama, and the flippers aren't that arrogant.     However, my guess is the novice flippers are that clueless, and all think they'll hit the gold mine making over houses to their own taste. 

(It reminds me so much of the old time shows, Moving Up (Doug Wilson), and Property Ladder, where the flippers listened to no one, and mostly lost money.     The Moving Up one was family one buys a house, that seller buys another one, and they both see what the remodel was on the first house, and what the second person did to their new home.     However, they had to film the buyer and seller separately, because of the first seller, who was vicious to the people who bought her house, and remodeled it. )   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

Ugh, this poor 19-year old who wants to flip houses is doomed. He was so clearly in over his head and would have had a disaster on his hands without the help of Tarek (and, let's face it, an entire HGTV crew). Obviously he's not going to have those resources for any future jobs so I don't like his chances of being successful at this business. 

The downside of shows like this is that too many people see them and figure it must be really easy to get rich quick doing this, based on how easy it looks on TV. Even with all the drama over unforeseen costs and problems (oh no! a new roof! -cut to commercial-) they almost always see a huge profit by the end of the episode. That's just not realistic.

• Like 5

I dozed off near the end. Tarik recommended an asking price. What did the place sell for?  How much did the flipper make?