Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Mothers & Daughters

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I actually like Gary and Darcy, even if she seems to be destined to be another "I represent some social issue and will disappear after I teach the cast some very important lesson" character.

I was trying to find words for how I feel about the character, thanks!

Why can't one recurring character be just a "normie"? Life as it is is not short in complications, why can't they introduce someone who gives overdramatic Gary and gang some perspective, someone who cannot stop working all day to cuddle an adult who is feeling "overwhelmed"? Maybe have Gary go through one of his binges of whatever show/movie he watches, then call Darcy and she say: "No, sorry, gotta work. See you later". 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, nexxie said:

I figured the outfit meant it’s a boy.

Except that it was from Rome's mom, who wouldn't have known he'd have a boy. And Navy decorations can work just as well for a girl.

OTOH, the writers of the show might want to be that anvilish.

10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Makes sense; I was just wondering if they actually said it out loud.

I don't think they did - since Eve was there with them and she didn't want to know.

• Love 2
On 3/20/2020 at 6:35 AM, iwasish said:

Rome is so over the top annoying. Can’t buy a car because he overheard a father/son argument? He barely tolerated his own father  up til the last couple weeks, that should be more of a red flag. His puns annoy me too. Along with his trademark wide eyed look of panic, bewilderment etc.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:55 PM, Lady Calypso said:

*sighs* This baby stuff is really pissing me off. Regina didn't even want to be a mom four months ago. And now she's completely nuts over it. It's just way too fast for this turnaround. She was ADAMANT on not having kids. Now, she's crazy over a newborn. 

Wasn't it Rome who decided he HAD to be a father, despite knowing Regina did not want to EVER be a mother?   He pushed and pushed until she said okay (and became instantly over enthusiastic) and now Rome ISN'T SURE he can be a father!  When he said that to Regina I thought she should have just punched him the face.   At least Eve is smart enough to extract herself (and probably take the baby with her). 

Good grief this show must change writers every week or have no idea who they want their characters to be.   Lame.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 8
19 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I never understood the appeal of that show for the adult contestants. If you win - big deal, you SHOULD be smarter than a 5th grader. If you lose - you don't know as much as a kid and look like an idiot.

If this were a different show, I'd say Maggie isn't packing up to move all her stuff to England, but to put most of it in storage, because it doesn't make any sense to ship all of it for a short term stay. But it isn't a different show.

I had to laugh at the outfit Rome's mom left for them to take the baby home from the hospital. Rome must have been a huge baby, 'cause that definitely wasn't newborn sized. 

I like Gary better with Darcy, and to be fair, he seemed really into her - and respectful of her - before she had the PTSD moment. So his initial attraction did seem, to me, to be about her problems. I think they already have more chemistry than Gary and Maggie - and I never really hated their relationship like some. Darcy's definitely better for him, though.

I think having the baby shower, in this specific situation, seems ill considered. Not all showers for all adoptive parents, but these parents and birth mother (and loose canon birth father) in particular.

So, if this guy Delilah picked up in the bar was supposed to be just a hook up, what's she doing meeting him again in broad daylight? That seems more like trying to create a relationship. I admit, it's been a long time since I was in the dating/hook up game, but I thought the point of a hook up was a pleasant evening without needing to carry it further.

Sophie's initial reaction was way more believable than her giggly acceptance/embracing of Delilah's new sex life.

What happened with the joints Delilah found? Is that why Sophie is grounded?  She’s taking it very well if that’s the case. And convenient for Delilah to have an affair while Sophie is stuck babysitting. Or it could be Sophie’s giggly acceptance is due to being high!

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Here's what bothered me most. When Delilah told Regina that Maggie would be late because she was packing for Oxford, Regina says, "I can't believe she's still going! I thought when I told her Gary still loved her..."

Geez, a fellowship at Oxford is a *BIG* deal and would be a huge addition to her life experience not to mention her professional resume. Why would a woman in her right mind give that up for an off-again/on-again boyfriend? And why wouldn't other women -- supposedly her friends -- not say, "I'm so happy for her to have this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?" instead of "Oh, but what about her ex-boyfriend?"

Are there women in the writers' room?

• Love 13
37 minutes ago, TivoFan said:

Geez, a fellowship at Oxford is a *BIG* deal and would be a huge addition to her life experience not to mention her professional resume. Why would a woman in her right mind give that up for an off-again/on-again boyfriend? And why wouldn't other women -- supposedly her friends -- not say, "I'm so happy for her to have this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?" instead of "Oh, but what about her ex-boyfriend?"

And if he loves her, he'd want her to take that opportunity.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, nexxie said:

I figured the outfit meant it’s a boy.

The outfit was the one Rome's parent's brought him home from the hospital in (a gift from his late mother) so I don't think it necessarily indicates the new baby's gender. But it's TV so it will have to be a boy they can ship with Charlie.  LOL!

• Love 2
On 3/20/2020 at 10:24 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

I wouldn't say he was an ass for this, it's the truth. She is digging into this now because she's sober and she remembers it, but Eddie was blissfully ignorant until then. She clearly thinks that Eddie is guilty of something, and she feels guilty for having left them alone after giving them their first cocaine ffs . . . . But she's waited all these years, she couldn't have let them have their vow renewal before blowing things up? It's about her, so yeah, I'm okay with Eddie calling that out, even if it is right/necessary that the truth comes out.

Exactly! Eddie is happy, renewed in his marriage, inspired by life, and about to renew his wedding vows, so his sister thinks that's the right time to drop the "you may have murdered someone when we were kids" bomb on him?!?! The day before his vow renewal? Why would anyone do that to someone they supposedly love? I was cheering Eddie on when he got angry w/her. He was right to be angry. What she did was incredibly selfish, IMO. She could have waited until AFTER his vow renewal to tell him what she suspects. There was no need to do it the day before this major event in his life! 

I also agree w/those who don't think Eddie killed anyone intentionally. They were both high. The girl probably fell into the lake, and Eddie tried to help, or they were both swimming and she passed out or something w/o Eddie's knowledge. Who knows, but I highly doubt he actually caused her death. 

On 3/20/2020 at 10:09 AM, jalady said:

I don't like to criticize the child actor but these writers can't make up their minds.  Is Theo a wise old sage or somewhat immature for his age?  Because his character veers wildly between these two extremes!  RME

Right?!?! It reminds me of Dakota Fanning in "War of the Worlds." Early in that movie, she tells Tom Cruise - her father - that he's not going to reach her teenage brother in the way he's trying. It's actually pretty wise advice for a 10-year old, but then she spends the rest of the movie acting like a she's 5, screaming and standing around while aliens are trying to capture her. I wanted Tom to let the aliens have her. She was that annoying. 

Theo is super wise sometimes (calling out the flirting btw his dad and the singer) and then extremely babyish (asking for cuddles or whatever). It's very odd. I'm w/you. Pick a lane and stick to it! 

On 3/20/2020 at 6:19 PM, Clanstarling said:

I like Gary better with Darcy, and to be fair, he seemed really into her - and respectful of her - before she had the PTSD moment. So his initial attraction did seem, to me, to be about her problems. I think they already have more chemistry than Gary and Maggie - and I never really hated their relationship like some. Darcy's definitely better for him, though.

Like many others, I'm also loving Gary w/Darcy. They have great, natural chemistry! I do think he asked her out b/c Maggie was leaving, but that's fine w/me. He needed to move on from Maggie anyway. I cannot stand her. She needs to go to England and stay there. I know she's probably not leaving, leaving . . . but why not? On "The Good Doctor," in the first season, one of the doctors got in trouble or something and had to find a new job. He left, and I expected him to come back, but he never did. I don't know if there was BTS drama there or what, but can't we get that w/Maggie? Can't she just leave and NOT return?! LOL! 

Edited by lala2
  • Love 7

The storyline with flashbacks to Eddie and his sister as teens and the dead friend reminds me so much of the show Proven Innocent that I'm expecting Kelsey Grammer to show up and put them on trial for murder any minute now.

On 3/20/2020 at 6:19 PM, Clanstarling said:

I never understood the appeal of that show for the adult contestants. If you win - big deal, you SHOULD be smarter than a 5th grader. If you lose - you don't know as much as a kid and look like an idiot.

They could win up to a million dollars if they got all the answers right, so I can see the appeal.

Also adults weren't actually competing against the kids on the show, so I don't think it was really ll that embarrassing if they lost.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:
On 3/20/2020 at 3:19 PM, Clanstarling said:

They could win up to a million dollars if they got all the answers right, so I can see the appeal.

Oh right. There was that. 😂

• LOL 1
19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

And if he loves her, he'd want her to take that opportunity.

My daughter won a 3/4 scholarship for her masters in England for English (Sussex) and a lesser amount for one in London. She took Sussex and so many said, "She has a boyfriend" He was fine with it, visited her twice and she came home for Xmas. Skype etc kept them close but they were both studying and 3 years later still together. If you are that uncomfortable, other things will break you up also.

The writing for Maggie and Gary is so bad I just want her to go. The angst, drama and immature behavior is annoying. The scene of her talking to him next show(even though she saw he dated the day before) invoked a big sigh from me. Nash hinted it meant something but I will still hold out, he tells her to go. Who gives up Oxford for a relationship with a guy. He either supports her going or he doesn't. But this is TV time, so she's either off or on but TV also speeds things up. She might be done in 6 months. : )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, debraran said:

My daughter won a 3/4 scholarship for her masters in England for English (Sussex) and a lesser amount for one in London. She took Sussex and so many said, "She has a boyfriend" He was fine with it, visited her twice and she came home for Xmas. Skype etc kept them close but they were both studying and 3 years later still together. If you are that uncomfortable, other things will break you up also.

The writing for Maggie and Gary is so bad I just want her to go. The angst, drama and immature behavior is annoying. The scene of her talking to him next show(even though she saw he dated the day before) invoked a big sigh from me. Nash hinted it meant something but I will still hold out, he tells her to go. Who gives up Oxford for a relationship with a guy. He either supports her going or he doesn't. But this is TV time, so she's either off or on but TV also speeds things up. She might be done in 6 months. : )

He should WANT her to go!!! Her plans for  the future had to be suspended during her cancer diagnosis and treatment. He doesn’t even have a job right now. Spends his days visiting his friends, making jokes, chasing ass and acting like a overgrown frat boy. If he loves her, he should celebrate her good fortune, support her in her efforts, be proud of her. Spend the next year getting his act together, keeping in touch with her, possibly visiting her,  so that when she returns they can  re evaluate their feelings for each other and either move forward in their relationship or move forward as friends. 

• Love 5

IIRC, wasn't Gary in support of her going before they broke up? Am I misremembering that? I could have sworn he learned about the scholarship (through someone else of course) and bought a bunch stuff for her to take w/her. And maybe that's when she didn't get it or whatever. I could be wrong, but I thought Gary always supported her going. It's a huge opportunity. 

• Love 3

Maggie needs to go.  Please.  I’ve never been able to tolerate this character.  Heck, I’ve never actually been a Gary fan, either.  However, I am liking him with Darcy.  If these writers had a clue, they would continue to move forward with this couple.  

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, lala2 said:

IIRC, wasn't Gary in support of her going before they broke up? Am I misremembering that? I could have sworn he learned about the scholarship (through someone else of course) and bought a bunch stuff for her to take w/her. And maybe that's when she didn't get it or whatever. I could be wrong, but I thought Gary always supported her going. It's a huge opportunity. 

That does sound vaguely familiar.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That does sound vaguely familiar.

Thanks! I thought that happened. He had a box of crumpets and other stereotypical British things IIRC. 

Edited by lala2
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, iwasish said:

What happened with the joints Delilah found? Is that why Sophie is grounded?  She’s taking it very well if that’s the case. And convenient for Delilah to have an affair while Sophie is stuck babysitting. Or it could be Sophie’s giggly acceptance is due to being high!

Yeah, I think that is why Sophie was grounded. After they talked about birth control, Delilah brought of the joints, and Sophie got a look on her face like, "oh damn."

21 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

The outfit was the one Rome's parent's brought him home from the hospital in (a gift from his late mother) so I don't think it necessarily indicates the new baby's gender. But it's TV so it will have to be a boy they can ship with Charlie.  LOL!

I think boy so they can name it Jon. If they actually get to give it a name.

57 minutes ago, lala2 said:

I think Gary was originally upset, but then came around and said he supported it. Which isn't totally unreasonable, I think a lot of people would initially think about missing their partner, but then realize it was a good thing for them.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, lala2 said:

Thanks! I thought that happened. He had a box of crumpets and other stereotypical British things IIRC. 

I thought he was even looking to possibly go with her. 

• Love 3

I’m at a disadvantage because I didn't watch last weeks whole show and don’t know what happened to baby daddy who seemed dangerous previously.  
Ligit question is it ok now to give a daughter a shower now? In her apartment? 
 Everyone seems to be overacting.  I don’t know anyone who is so animated like they’re acting on stage.  I’m  crabby . . 
Wonder what adjustment Kathryn had to make to the dress... take it in? 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I’m at a disadvantage because I didn't watch last weeks whole show and don’t know what happened to baby daddy who seemed dangerous previously.  

They got him to sign a paper giving up his rights with a notary and Rome & Regina the only witnesses, which in real life probably wouldn't hold up in court. In show...who knows? I'm sure he'll be back, though. Or maybe not, given their track record of disappearing characters.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Seems like Gary has a real White Knight complex where women are concerned. His interest in Darcy, to me at least, appeared to ramp up after her PTSD surfaced. 

Also, Re: Gina's mother (and maybe Katherine's Mom too), I'm thinking Nash might have some parent issues. Do any of the adult leads have parents that aren't some iteration of awful?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Seems like Gary has a real White Knight complex where women are concerned. His interest in Darcy, to me at least, appeared to ramp up after her PTSD surfaced. 

Also, Re: Gina's mother (and maybe Katherine's Mom too), I'm thinking Nash might have some parent issues. Do any of the adult leads have parents that aren't some iteration of awful?

I've noticed that too. I mean, NONE of the parents can seem to be just the classic: "we were good parents, who made mistakes." Oh no! We have ones who were: carrying on affairs, just pissed off for some reason and prompted up the screw up kid, secretly saw something bad, but don't want to admit it or felt so "embarrassed" they had to hide the truth.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

This is typical TV toeing  the "thank you for your service" line (not the male hero complex, the PTSD part in general).

I understand that I might offend people an I am sorry but I am also tired of the uncritical praising of anyone who has ever signed up to "defend our country" as if we are evil beings if we don't thank them or feel their pain due to PTSD.

I personally know people who have severe PTSD - war and non war related - and it can be devastating, and I wish writers would stop being lazy and went a different direction when deciding to write those stories in - which is also something that seem obligatory in shows.

Obviously, there might be shows that are more critical on different levels, but what we get in general is lack of critical thinking from the writers. As far as a tv show can influence our views of things, it is a disservice for those who have war-related PTSD

• Love 2
On 3/19/2020 at 11:55 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Delilah tells Sophie about her new boyfriend and Sophie is, for some reason, excited? Really? I get maybe wanting to not hold her mom back on dating again, but she was genuinely excited...just over a year after her dad died and you'd think that Sophie would be more conflicted, at best...or pissed off, at worst. Delilah can never ever ever lose. 

Delilah and Sophie were just estranged for months. I am glad Sophie realized immediately that she was overreacting and took the time to talk it out with Delilah.

There comes a time when people need to let go of anger and grief and move ON. Life is too, too short.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Delilah and Sophie were just estranged for months. I am glad Sophie realized immediately that she was overreacting and took the time to talk it out with Delilah.

There comes a time when people need to let go of anger and grief and move ON. Life is too, too short.

Moving on is good, and goodness knows a sulky Sophie would be a drag. Still, I found it odd, not many teenagers want to acknowledge, much less even giggle about, their parent's sex life?

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Finding out your mother cheated on your father, not good. With his best friend, really not good. Your dad kills himself , really really bad. Moms pregnant but not with dads kid!!! And the guy she was cheating with has been around playing substitute dad. I’d be pretty pissed, for a pretty long time. I wouldn’t be joking with my mom about some random guy she picked up in a bar and banged. I don’t think Sophie was over reacting. At all. 

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Finding out your mother cheated on your father, not good. With his best friend, really not good. Your dad kills himself , really really bad. Moms pregnant but not with dads kid!!! And the guy she was cheating with has been around playing substitute dad. I’d be pretty pissed, for a pretty long time. I wouldn’t be joking with my mom about some random guy she picked up in a bar and banged. I don’t think Sophie was over reacting. At all. 

She was upset at first, and then she realized it wasn't worth getting all twisted up over it. I am very glad they handled it that way.

What is the point of hanging on to anger and resentment for months or even years? It eats you up inside and casts a pall over life. I just don't understand why people think it's at all good or healthy to carry that around. People are hurting themselves as much as they are hurting others, if not more. Again, work out your feelings, talk to someone if you have to, and move on. 

On 3/22/2020 at 12:23 PM, iwasish said:

Spends his days visiting his friends, making jokes, chasing ass and acting like a overgrown frat boy. 

He cheated during the jungle gym race, too. He started before she finished counting down. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

She was upset at first, and then she realized it wasn't worth getting all twisted up over it. I am very glad they handled it that way.

What is the point of hanging on to anger and resentment for months or even years? It eats you up inside and casts a pall over life. I just don't understand why people think it's at all good or healthy to carry that around. People are hurting themselves as much as they are hurting others, if not more. Again, work out your feelings, talk to someone if you have to, and move on. 

I agree it’s not healthy, but I think it’s unrealistic to think forgiveness would come that quickly. Perhaps if they had shown what exactly Delilah said to her it would make a difference. Even with forgiveness, I would think their relationship would forever be changed. But then I don’t find Katherine’s behavior all that logical either, in her acceptance of Eddie’s infidelity and his fathering a child a outside their marriage.  It could also be my reaction to Delilah and what seems to be a real disconnect in her attitude toward her own actions. It doesn’t appear to really bother her except in the area that her “kids are mad at poor me" 

• Love 2