Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Be the Hyman

Seemed like kind of a lame reason to turn good Marina bad again.  Because they needed her to lie to her girlfriend?  I feel like if they just talked to the girlfriend and explained the situation she might have just helped them.

Watching the pigman tonight I finally realized that he is a chauvinist PIG.  I thought his pigginess had to symbolize something.

Musical number next week!  Should be fun.

• Love 2

I've been wondering all season who would be likely to become a divinity. After this episode, I'm wondering if Fenn will be the one.

6 hours ago, Poltargyst said:

Seemed like kind of a lame reason to turn good Marina bad again.  Because they needed her to lie to her girlfriend?  I feel like if they just talked to the girlfriend and explained the situation she might have just helped them.

Agreed, and the girlfriend seemed almost convinced already.

I kind of guessed they were heading towards destroying Fillory as the season climax, although I'm not sure how they can make a new Fillory if they destroy the wellspring in the old Fillory first. 

I don't think I would have ever realized that was Sean Maguire playing Sir Effingham if someone hadn't pointed it out to me. That's kind of hilarious but I wonder what the purpose of him playing two different characters is. 

Do I have this right? The Dark King is releasing all these Takers because they are the guardians of the Underworld and he needs to get rid of them to free his lover? I don't think the show has been clear on that up 'til now, if I'm reading that right.

"Good" Marina was kind of hilarious.

On 3/18/2020 at 10:06 PM, Poltargyst said:

Watching the pigman tonight I finally realized that he is a chauvinist PIG.  I thought his pigginess had to symbolize something.

Musical number next week!  Should be fun.

Agreed and I have a major problem with this episode in part because of it. Because somehow all the gay love stories in this show have become the gay villain trope, and everyone else is being paired off in these heterosexual couples. Even Eliot was described in reference to his marriage to Fen. The only gay couples we have left are Marina who is eeeevil and not allowed to be good and a couple whose love is LITERALLY DESTROYING THE WORLD. TPTB can pat themselves on the back all they want about telling stories that aren't about white male protagonists and featuring LGBTQ characters, but this season sure is looking pretty straight.

But let's see how the stories about women are going. I didn't post last week because seeing infinitely better Penny, original flavor, made me bitter all over again. Penny23 is the worst. THE WORST. Finds out about the pregnancy and his first thought is how it affects him. Then he infantalizes Julia by trying to direct her fucking care. To the point that she gives up and says she gets no autonomy and is just an incubator. That's right, folks. Julia continues to have no agency. "What a brand new twist to her story" said nobody who has watched the show. But it's okay, because Penny23's has feelings. So she should just be a good little girl and submit to invasive treatments without any real discussions with her medical provider so that Penny23 doesn't have the feels. Even when worrying about her safety, Penny23 does it in a way that prioritizes his feelings. 

Oh and for some additional misogynistic fun, let's have Hyman justify stalking women and invading their privacy by explaining how lonely he is. Maybe he can discover the internet where he can whine about how he is a nice guy and women owe him sex. Why bother with a storyline where he grows through self introspection and education? Maybe his problem was asking Mr. "Only my Feelings Matter."

Thank Ember for Eliot, Josh, Fen and Margo. Margo and Josh showing the sole healthy, mature relationship on the block. Fen finally speaking up (and on a shallow note looking fantastic). Eliot being kind and thoughtful and listening without being dismissive. Can we pop them into a seahorse and take them to a better story?

• Love 2
On 3/24/2020 at 5:22 AM, The Companion said:

But let's see how the stories about women are going...Penny23 is the worst. THE WORST. Finds out about the pregnancy and his first thought is how it affects him. Then he infantalizes Julia by trying to direct her fucking care. To the point that she gives up and says she gets no autonomy and is just an incubator. That's right, folks. Julia continues to have no agency. "What a brand new twist to her story" said nobody who has watched the show. But it's okay, because Penny23's has feelings. So she should just be a good little girl and submit to invasive treatments without any real discussions with her medical provider so that Penny23 doesn't have the feels. Even when worrying about her safety, Penny23 does it in a way that prioritizes his feelings. 

Oh and for some additional misogynistic fun, let's have Hyman justify stalking women and invading their privacy by explaining how lonely he is. Maybe he can discover the internet where he can whine about how he is a nice guy and women owe him sex. Why bother with a storyline where he grows through self introspection and education? Maybe his problem was asking Mr. "Only my Feelings Matter."

I think we all know at this point how much I hate Julia but, holy hell, that doesn't mean she deserves to be put in this awful "I'm just a human incubator for a man, override my bodily autonomy please" plotline. I couldn't work out what the hell the writers were trying to say here. Penny's feelings are not more important than her being in yet another magical pregnancy. 

You've summed up my feelings on Hyman too.  

• Love 1