Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Discoid Cockroaches

• Start Topic

Matilda is inspired for her future! The family navigates New York City, teaching Matilda to ride the subway. Genevieve has a thing she wants to do. It’s a big reveal. Nicholas starts to dream of a life with fewer responsibilities.

Season finale. Airdate: March 12, 2020.

I have mixed feelings about Genevieve this episode. I loved her bonding with Nathan but not sure about her “set”. In some ways it felt that she was making fun of Matilda but it was very evident that she loved her. But she has a right to feel I don’t know, put out, by the difficulties of growing up with some one with autism. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I have mixed feelings about Genevieve this episode. I loved her bonding with Nathan but not sure about her “set”. In some ways it felt that she was making fun of Matilda but it was very evident that she loved her. But she has a right to feel I don’t know, put out, by the difficulties of growing up with some one with autism. 

I agree about Genevieve. I kept cringing during her set not knowing if she was going to get a negative reaction, because she was kind of making fun of someone with autism. But then I thought Matilda was going to walk in and hear and was worried about that. I am glad it seemed to go well.

I hope they get Matilda to try again with New York.

I did love Nicholas at the end with the hotel clerk.  "Do you think we time traveled back to 1998 to make a phone call?"

• Love 3

I loved this episode so much. I loved Gen's joy over New York. Whether Matilda winds up there or not--and it's not looking like she will now--genevieve clearly belongs there. 

I was also afraid that Matilda was going to hear her set, and she'd have every right to be upset, but comedians use their real life experiences, its what they do. And G's love for Matilda was palpable. She was like a baby sarah Silverman up there. 

Matilda did such a good job navigating the subway system. I was so sad that she got so overwhelmed; NYC is an extremely stimulating place. I want her to try again. 

I don't know what the plans or hopes are for this show, but I really hope it returns. I love it so much. 

• Love 4

I was also cringing during Genevieve's set - although I was expecting her to do some poetry, maybe she is just testing out different forms of expression? Poetry, comedy, maybe she'll settle on some creative outlet.

NYC is such a stimulating place - I felt for Matilda during every scene. I had to take NJ Transit to college and that took me like 10 practice round trips over a few months to prep for going to college a few times a week. Luckily, the conductors started to recognize me after a bit and made sure I had a seat on the train (Sometimes nondisabled people would sit in the disabled section, and the conductors would help correct that).

I think if this show gets another season, Matilda should take another shot at NYC - their father obviously knew Julliard was her dream school, so I imagine he planned for it + NYC living expenses (Or maybe tuition & fees + room and board - since I imagine they have single dorms for students with disabilities, that would remove one step for Matilda). I would be shocked if he did not plan for a personal assistant in those living costs - I think Matilda could be successful if she had an aide to help her navigate the more stressful situations, like public transit.

Also, I really enjoy the episode descriptions for this show - they remind me of The Good Place's episode descriptions, except these ones are less vague.

• Love 1

Julliard has everything, the dorms the school ect. . . all on the Lincoln Center campus.  She could spend her entire time just within a couple blocks and take a Taxi if she needed to go anywhere else.  They should have practiced her walking places.  She could stay within a mile radius of Lincoln Center and be fine.  It might have been too much but she wouldn't need to take the subway.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, meatball77 said:

Julliard has everything, the dorms the school ect. . . all on the Lincoln Center campus.  She could spend her entire time just within a couple blocks and take a Taxi if she needed to go anywhere else.  They should have practiced her walking places.  She could stay within a mile radius of Lincoln Center and be fine.  It might have been too much but she wouldn't need to take the subway.

Yeah, it seems like the subway shouldn't have been the first thing they did. I was expecting them to go to the Juliard campus and practice walking from a dorm to class. Obviously, if she is going to be in New York it would be best if she knew how to take the subway and deal with crowds, but maybe it wasn't the best first step.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, meatball77 said:

Yeah, it's not like her family can't afford her taking a taxi most places (or a bus, cheaper and lower chance for sensory overload) - and I think if she went there, she would qualify for a disability pass, so she would get Paratransit, which would make it much easier for her to access the system

7 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Yeah, it seems like the subway shouldn't have been the first thing they did. I was expecting them to go to the Juliard campus and practice walking from a dorm to class. Obviously, if she is going to be in New York it would be best if she knew how to take the subway and deal with crowds, but maybe it wasn't the best first step.

That would have been much better - they should have had had multiple social stories/cue cards for Matilda to practice, leading up to the subway. Since they could have done like "How to order a hot dog from a street vendor" "How to navigate crowded city sidewalks" culminating in "How to ride the subway!" Since I mean, yeah, when you think of public transit in NYC, you think of the subway, but they also have a lot of buses - and buses are much easier sensory-wise. It might have been better if they had even shown Matilda succeeding with some of the tasks, then the big one - the subway, leading to a meltdown.

• Love 3

I'm neurotypical and I find NYC overwhelming. Many years ago I had a girlfriend who lived there and I would go visit her and I always felt like I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown even with her by my side and doing all the navigation.

But apparently you do get used to it? Like anything, I think it takes some desensitization and practice. One day or even a few days is probably not enough for anyone who's not accustomed to it.

I didn't have the same problem in Chicago, so it's not all cities. NYC is really a big noise.

It would have made sense for them to look for other autistic people who live there, as I'm sure there are lots. They could give moral support and maybe help reassure Matilda that it can be done.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I'm neurotypical and I find NYC overwhelming. Many years ago I had a girlfriend who lived there and I would go visit her and I always felt like I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown even with her by my side and doing all the navigation.

But apparently you do get used to it? Like anything, I think it takes some desensitization and practice. One day or even a few days is probably not enough for anyone who's not accustomed to it.

I didn't have the same problem in Chicago, so it's not all cities. NYC is really a big noise.

It would have made sense for them to look for other autistic people who live there, as I'm sure there are lots. They could give moral support and maybe help reassure Matilda that it can be done.

I have autism and I find NYC... passable in short bursts (As in, I have gone to New York Comic Con multiple times) - having set destinations and paths mapped ahead of time, either plans set forth mentally, or stuff on my phone. I go into NYC every 2-4 months, I have the same destination every time, but I know where we go, and the exact route to go each time. However, it is going to change next time, so that should be interesting - but my parents drive me there every time, so we will see.

I think the best route would have been for Nicholas or Matilda's teacher (Sam?) to get in touch with an organization such as Easter Seals (I am sure they have a NYC chapter) and see what resources they can offer - although maybe that is how the teacher got the subway guide?

And of course, if this was real life, pretty much every state has a Department of Developmental Disabilities, which covers people with Autism, and provides supports and services.

Edited by bros402
  • Love 3

I do think it is something that should be taken into consideration when finding a college.  She might do better at the Boston Conservatory or someplace in California.  I'm sure the show will frame it as Julliard or nothing though.

Midtown is horrific for crowds.  I love Chelsea and SoHo, but midtown is just horrible.  Unfortunatly Julliard is in midtown.  However, it's also in one building with the dorms right next door (maybe even in the same building, I know that SAB (and their student dorms) are in the same building as the Julliard Dorms)

• Love 1
11 hours ago, bros402 said:

And of course, if this was real life, pretty much every state has a Department of Developmental Disabilities, which covers people with Autism, and provides supports and services.

I think that was the part that frustrate me while watching this! Like, I get they did it for the drama of "will she actually be able to go to Julliard" and to help show how Genevieve supporting her sister and making her set more poignant. But also, there are all sorts of organizations with professionals equipped to help people with autism in these situations, especially if you are wealthy. It doesn't just have to be hapless caregivers trying their best!

They do such a good job of the character of someone with autism that I think it would also be great if they highlighted some of the services available too.

• Love 2

I was surprised they didn't tackle her life skills. She clearly didn't know how to keep her room clean (or care to do so). She needs to have those skills in place, in case she ever has a roommate. I assumed they were going to tackle that when Nicholias cleans her room for her and it's disgusting. Matilda needs those skills as well as her ability to commute and find her way around the city with confidence. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, HappyBerry said:

I think that was the part that frustrate me while watching this! Like, I get they did it for the drama of "will she actually be able to go to Julliard" and to help show how Genevieve supporting her sister and making her set more poignant. But also, there are all sorts of organizations with professionals equipped to help people with autism in these situations, especially if you are wealthy. It doesn't just have to be hapless caregivers trying their best!

They do such a good job of the character of someone with autism that I think it would also be great if they highlighted some of the services available too.

Maybe they are just building up to a Everything's Gonna Be Okay-Speechless crossover?

i mean honestly if that happened I would be so excited

although it would feel like "sooo, are they just smashing these two shows that had/have characters with disabilities together to just make a Disabled TV Show Universe?"

I would find it interesting if they had Nicholas in an IEP meeting. I think it might drive him insane. However, it would also force him to be slightly more grounded than "throwing ceviche into a shower like a madman" - and hopefully a bit more grounded than when he was in the principal's office.

However, all of the family feels like they have autism - especially since Nicholas does not seem to understand the concept of boundaries whatsoever, and just runs into everything 150%

• Love 3
10 hours ago, bros402 said:

However, all of the family feels like they have autism - especially since Nicholas does not seem to understand the concept of boundaries whatsoever, and just runs into everything 150%

Yeah, I keep waiting for the episode where Nicholas meets with Matilda's teacher and she goes "by the way, have you ever been tested?".

• Love 1

I'm glad to see other people get the vibe that everyone on this show is so freaking "quirky" that Mathilda comes across as pretty typical. I didn't find Genevieve's story cringeworthy at all. She shifted tone very effectively, and was clearly reflecting on how she had changed her attitude toward her sister over time. However, it also emphasized the challenges of growing up with a sibling who has special needs. 

I hate the Julliard/subway storyline because it lets Mathilda be a genius without making her or her family navigate the actual systems in place to support her taking advantage of this opportunity. A simple web search gives me this: https://www.juilliard.edu/campus-life/student-services/academic-support-and-disability-services#about-the-office

• Love 2
13 hours ago, HappyBerry said:

Yeah, I keep waiting for the episode where Nicholas meets with Matilda's teacher and she goes "by the way, have you ever been tested?".

yeah, or a little "So, as far as I am aware Genevieve hasn't been tested...but were you or your dad ever tested?" would go a long way

6 hours ago, sleepysuzy said:

I'm glad to see other people get the vibe that everyone on this show is so freaking "quirky" that Mathilda comes across as pretty typical. I didn't find Genevieve's story cringeworthy at all. She shifted tone very effectively, and was clearly reflecting on how she had changed her attitude toward her sister over time. However, it also emphasized the challenges of growing up with a sibling who has special needs. 

I hate the Julliard/subway storyline because it lets Mathilda be a genius without making her or her family navigate the actual systems in place to support her taking advantage of this opportunity. A simple web search gives me this: https://www.juilliard.edu/campus-life/student-services/academic-support-and-disability-services#about-the-office

The Genevieve story made me cringe because stuff like that makes me cringe all the time in TV. Yeah, most colleges have disability services offices of varying quality - but I imagine a place like Julliard, with the quirky individuals they attract, would have a robust one, especially given it is in a very big city.

• Love 2