Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E18: A Judgy Face and Your Grandma's Drawers

jewel21

OMG, that was awful. Where has the therapist been? He’s the best part of this show.

Jill, stop lamenting about having a kid. If you really want one, pay a surrogate to have one for you in Georgia.  Problem solved.

Wendy being turned off by children was unexpected and funny. The first, second and third times she mentioned it.  By the eighty-fifth reference, it was so old that it reversed itself.

What Marjorie did was so irresponsible there are no words. Christy should have taken the cat to the vet—duh. 

I feel like Anna Farris does not have the acting chops to pull off a scene alone, which is essentially what she was doing with the tissues, and it was bad.  I also feel like Christy gets sick or injured a lot, and she always overdoes it.

The law professor is going to take it easier on Christy because she thinks she’s a single mom?  How is that going to work out for her future clients? I’m sure the small business owner who gets sued due to her shoddy advice will understand, as will the guy on death row.

I completely disagreed with Adam’s approach to management. If Tammy is responsible enough to access the office, she shouldn’t be punished because Adam doesn’t trust the ex con he hired. What he should do is explain to the ex-con that it’s going to take a little longer to earn his trust, and the ex-con should either respect that or find another place to work.

Well, I’m just a ray of sunshine, huh!  Sorry, I had to rant. I usually look forward to at least a few laughs from Bonnie and I usually love Marjorie, even if she isn’t haha funny.  I like a few clever storylines, and some sharing at the meeting and the restaurant, and we got none of that here.  

Allison Janney is a physical comedy master, but I was rolling my eyes at her being stuck in Marjorie’s car. Too much of a good thing.

• Love 13

I could see Bonnie getting stuck in the trunk a mile away. I was hoping they'd avoid a cheap, obvious joke, but they couldn't resist.

Why wasn't it brought up that Christy is allergic to cats? Back when they had to live with Marjorie, there were whole episodes basically built around her being surrounded by cats and being horribly allergic. I think she did make a quick reference to 'allergies', but then said that wasn't why she was sick. Is an allergy to cats something that comes and goes?

• Love 3

Christy introducing herself to Sophia as she does in her AA meetings was hysterical 🤣 The part where she met her law professor at the store was really good too, I liked how she played off the situation and appeared in a sympathetic light. She has enough on her plate, she really does deserve a break.

I also liked how each woman got to shine in this episode, and all of them had great lines.

7 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Why wasn't it brought up that Christy is allergic to cats? Back when they had to live with Marjorie, there were whole episodes basically built around her being surrounded by cats and being horribly allergic. I think she did make a quick reference to 'allergies', but then said that wasn't why she was sick. Is an allergy to cats something that comes and goes?

Christy was constantly sneezing and talking in that sickly voice while being in Margerie's house so the show was consistent in regard to her allergies.

• Love 6

That was a super chill and cute baby. And while there were plenty of great moments I still think the set-up was contrived even within the realms of crazy sitcom-land. And I did not buy for one moment that Marjorie's son would have been okay with her confession (I know I wouldn't).

Give Christy written instructions and send her to the vet. Your son and your daughter-in-law trusted you with their daughter and for a couple of hours she hast to be your number one priority.

We learned another thing about Wendy, so that was a plus. The key-swap was impressive - I wonder how many takes it took. But my favorite scene was Adam handling Tammy while trying to figure out why there was a baby involved.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Such A Flirt said:

How did Jill get to Bonnie? Wasn't her phone in the car?

Hey Siri, call Jill.   or Hey Alexa,  or Hey Google call Jill or hey Bixby call... (is android Bixby?)   

I didn't find this nearly as dire as other.  It is the second week recently that the show has remembered Roscoe exists.   That's always a bonus.  

I was waiting the whole time for Marjorie's son to come back and have a huge, huge, huge reaction to his kid not being with the people he expected.  I don't know how he's going to take that in the long run but I both like they didn't do that and I like that Marjorie explained the events of the day to him.  

• Love 14
10 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

What Marjorie did was so irresponsible there are no words. Christy should have taken the cat to the vet—duh. 

Thank you for the review! I got to the part where Christy took the baby to the pharmacy before I bailed, so this saves me the time and agita.

Why does Adam suddenly not trust Tammy? He’s always known about her criminal history. Did I miss something?

1 minute ago, Kiddvideo said:

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

Why does Adam suddenly not trust Tammy? He’s always known about her criminal history. Did I miss something?

Tammy confronted him (with the baby in tow because everybody had a turn with the baby) and it turns out he banned everybody from his office because he wasn't sure about the new guy and didn't want to single him out.  The new guy is also an ex-con who Adam wanted to give a chance to.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Tammy confronted him (with the baby in tow because everybody had a turn with the baby) and it turns out he banned everybody from his office because he wasn't sure about the new guy and didn't want to single him out.  The new guy is also an ex-con who Adam wanted to give a chance to.

Thank you!! 

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

And I did not buy for one moment that Marjorie's son would have been okay with her confession (I know I wouldn't).

My mom had an emergency work trip pop up while my sister and her husband were on their honeymoon.  My mom had been watching the kids.  She left the kids with my dad and brother.   My sister was absolutely furious.   I was in college and didn't hear about this until recently and it has been 20 years but my sister is still miffed.  

Although, in fairness, I'm not sure Marjorie's son is done with his feelings on this subject. He was stunned Marjorie confessed to him but i felt he was overwhelmed by the whole story.  Plus his wife doesn't know.  I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this didn't pop back up as an issue in the future.   

• Love 9

At some point, when Jill came in, I was like "this plot is 'pass the baby around.'" Of course, I kind of enjoyed it. Regarding Christy's allergy to cats, I'm glad that the show was consistent in its continuity. Because I actually remembered that when Christy, Bonnie, and the kids were staying with Marjorie, it had been shown that Christy is allergic to cats. I even remember the episode when she was looking for places to crash.

• Love 5

I was fully expecting Marjorie's son to blow up at her and refuse her any more access to the baby. I just find it amazing that Marjorie would let the baby out of her sight like that. I babysit my great nephew and there is no way I would leave him with a friend like that - and his mother would NOT be ok with it.

But Bonnie getting trapped in the car was a hilarious sight gag.

• Love 3

I get the setup.   A bunch of women with....issues hang out with a baby and hilarity ensues.   My huge issue is that this was the first time her son who hasn’t spoken to her in over a decade let’s her babysit his kid and she gives the kid to someone else.  I also get that Marjorie loves her cats and trusts Cristy but this is one of those times the human comes first.

• Love 20

This was honestly my least favorite episode of Mom ever. So, sooooo much cringiness.

There were moments that were funny and charming, to be sure. But I could not get past the unforgivable stupidity of Marjorie in leaving the baby with anyone, let alone Christy. (Just have Christy put you on speakerphone when she's with the vet! Or take the baby with you to the vet's office!)

And this was after Marjorie acted like the world was ending when her son didn't want her being around the baby a few episodes ago.

When Bonnie got stuck in the car, I had visions of her being stuck there for hours (or longer) with no one having a clue where she was. It wasn't funny to me at all.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 12

Yeah, the whole premise of this episode was problematic. No way Marjorie should have left the baby with anyone to take a cat to the vet. There's no reason Christy or any of her other friends couldn't take the cat to the vet. Marjorie's relationship with her son is at the most precarious position it could be, I just don't believe she'd take that kind of risk. I was sure the son was going to show up at some point and find someone else with the baby.

Regarding Christy's allergy to cats, I'm glad that the show was consistent in its continuity.

They aren't always consistent with their continuity. There have been several scenes with all the gals at Marjorie's house when Christy has shown no signs of allergies. The recent episodes with Kathleen Turner come to mind.

It is the second week recently that the show has remembered Roscoe exists.   That's always a bonus.  

Do you mean when Christy said she has kept two babies alive even though neither is speaking to her? She just got a text from Roscoe last week, what does she mean neither is speaking to her?

• Love 8

I don't think this episode was that great, but, when Christy's law professor said she looked awful and and the way she said "thank you" cracked me up. Also, when Bonnie got stuck in the trunk, though, we knew it was coming, from the promo.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, the whole premise of this episode was problematic. No way Marjorie should have left the baby with anyone to take a cat to the vet. There's no reason Christy or any of her other friends couldn't take the cat to the vet. Marjorie's relationship with her son is at the most precarious position it could be, I just don't believe she'd take that kind of risk. I was sure the son was going to show up at some point and find someone else with the baby.

They aren't always consistent with their continuity. There have been several scenes with all the gals at Marjorie's house when Christy has shown no signs of allergies. The recent episodes with Kathleen Turner come to mind.

Do you mean when Christy said she has kept two babies alive even though neither is speaking to her? She just got a text from Roscoe last week, what does she mean neither is speaking to her?

What Chuck Lorre giveth, Chuck Lorre taketh away. He probably saw how excited we were over Roscoe being mentioned that he decided to hammer the point home that Christy can't be a mother and brought up that Roscoe isn't speaking to her either.

Also with the text last week, we don't know if HE sent it. It could have been Baxter and Chef Rudy didn't see who the text came from as he just read the body.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Or she could've called Bonnie to take the cat to the vet.  Or taken the baby with her.  Leaving her with someone else was irresponsible.  (I love my cats, and would rush them to the vet if one was sick or hurt - and have done - but I would not have left the baby with someone as irresponsible as Christy.)   I guess her son appreciated her honesty, but if I had been him, I would not have taken it calmly.

Not a fan of this episode, although Tammy at the bar was funny.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

She just got a text from Roscoe last week, what does she mean neither is speaking to her?

He's a teenager he could have stopped speaking to her since then.

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

When Bonnie got stuck in the car, I had visions of her being stuck there for hours (or longer) with no one having a clue where she was. It wasn't funny to me at all.

I actually skipped that part because of a horribly tragic story that was in the news last summer - don't google it! Couldn't believe nobody in the writers room had noticed.

Edited by MissLucas

I couldn't enjoy this episode because I kept fearing Jerry would show up while the baby was out.  I was on pins and needles the whole time I was watching 😞 And "pass the baby" as a plot seemed stupid to me, although I enjoyed all the interactions each lady had with the baby, especially my girl Wendy, LOL.  My favorite scene was Tammy and Adam in the bar: "Whose baby is that???"

• Love 9

I was just thinking that car seat had to be transferred to so many cars. If nobody but a professional can install it correctly, did they install it correctly. Marjorie should have watched the baby herself and she shouldn't have taken the baby out of the house. I am surprised they left the baby in a house full of cats, the parents should have been worried about allergies.

• Love 1

I think the writers came up with a premise (Marjorie takes a risk by being honest with her son, and he appreciates it) and worked backward, without taking into account whether the plot was plausible.

It's not the first time they've made Marjorie out to be an idiot, just to suit a plotline. A few seasons ago, Marjorie was adamant that it would be fine for Bonnie to take opiate painkillers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

This was kind of a contrived episode to give all the main cast a turn to pass the baby, but I think it also gave us a little insight into just how badly Marjorie prioritized in neglecting her own son. She's right at the end that Sophia was safe and loved throughout and no harm done, but she was also awfully quick to pass off the baby for something she considered more important.  As a mom, I've left my kids with other people and I know sometimes things happen and it's not the end of the world.  But a lot of whether or how upset I would be upon returning to this scenario would depend on if I knew the other people involved and found them trustworthy, and more importantly how truly comfortable I was with the original babysitter or their judgment.  In this case, Marjorie is just starting to really rebuild her son's trust and I would have expected her to be extra cautious and vigilant to prove herself.  He didn't have a ton of reaction here, but he had also been hit with a lot all at once and it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear an episode or two from now that after reflecting on it he decided that he couldn't trust her judgment or that he felt like she'd once again prioritized something else over her own flesh and blood.

The only thing that really organically worked was the Tammy-Adam story.  From "I know this from home.  Do you need a meeting?" to "Whose baby is that?"  Adam is a pretty nonconfrontational guy.  His relationship with Bonnie probably wouldn't work if he wasn't.  His not wanting to single the new guy out felt reflective of that.

• Love 11

I can see the point of view from some of the previous posts about Marjorie.  Parents of a first child are very sensitive to any risk toward their child, and a first born passed out of a grandmother’s hands-who is babysitting for the first time and wasn’t long ago trusted-and passed into many hands is a HUGE NO NO.  It’s strange how 3 mothers-Marjorie, Bonnie, and Christy don’t remember that.  It's pretty clear it happened this way for plot machinations.

Why did that baby looked so cute with that hat when in an almost different light she looks like she has pig ears popped up?

I never noticed before how Bonnie has long lashes up and all the way to the sides.  From a short distance she looks pretty and up close it’s like wings of mascara.  Christy-actually Anna Faris-looked very skinny in the scene in Marjorie’s house, long skinny arms.

And so you all know I’m not only obsessed with physical details, it’s so nice to see Hodges-actually the actor-on the screen again.  Just because you played a character for a long time doesn’t mean you can’t be seen on the tv screen not too very long afterwards.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, eyesopen said:

It’s strange how 3 mothers-Marjorie, Bonnie, and Christy don’t remember that. 

All three of them have been shown to have been somewhat neglectful and sometimes absent with their own children.  In some of their stories, they're damn lucky they didn't have their kids taken by child services.  I'd honestly be curious to know if any of them have a real understanding of what day in day out responsible parenting and all that entails even looks like.  I know we like our main characters, but that right there is a valid reason for Jerry to be concerned that these strangers to him were playing pass the baby.

• Love 7

I couldn't enjoy this episode because I kept fearing Jerry would show up while the baby was out.  I was on pins and needles the whole time I was watchin

Yes, I fully expected this to have a sad ending, with Marjorie devastated once again because the couple came home to find a stranger sitting with their child. Or worse, nobody home. 

I am surprised they left the baby in a house full of cats, the parents should have been worried about allergies.

That too. I like cats, but that's a lot of cats. And as it is, Marjorie's son doesn't trust her. This is apparently the couple's first baby. You would think they'd ask Marjorie to come to their house and babysit. Especially since the baby doesn't even know Marjorie. And especially because of all those cats. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, bybrandy said:

My mom had an emergency work trip pop up while my sister and her husband were on their honeymoon.  My mom had been watching the kids.  She left the kids with my dad and brother.   My sister was absolutely furious.   I was in college and didn't hear about this until recently and it has been 20 years but my sister is still miffed.  

Although, in fairness, I'm not sure Marjorie's son is done with his feelings on this subject. He was stunned Marjorie confessed to him but i felt he was overwhelmed by the whole story.  Plus his wife doesn't know.  I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this didn't pop back up as an issue in the future.   

I also expect this to come back on Marjorie, but I hope it doesn’t. I’d be happier if the storylines focused on them today and downplayed their histories of drinking, using, and gambling. I didn’t like their holiday episode because Christy kept telling “Shitty Stuff Bonnie Did” stories, and Bonnie was so hurt. At some point you gotta let it go if you’re trying to preserve a relationship — and they’ve all worked so hard at being better people — yet there was Christy kicking Bonnie in the teeth.

I also expect this to come back on Marjorie, but I hope it doesn’t. I’d be happier if the storylines focused on them today and downplayed their histories of drinking, using, and gambling.

But this isn't about her history.  Leaving a kid you are responsible for with somebody the parent hasn't approved without giving the parent a heads up is absolutely not going to be considered okay by the majority of parents (especially of a first born) it wouldn't be if Marjorie was the absolute perfect parent who never had a single fault.   

3 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

. I didn’t like their holiday episode because Christy kept telling “Shitty Stuff Bonnie Did” stories, and Bonnie was so hurt. At some point you gotta let it go if you’re trying to preserve a relationship — and they’ve all worked so hard at being better people — yet there was Christy kicking Bonnie in the teeth.

I thought it was funny when Violet came back and she was so anti-Christy and there was a sense that Violet should be over it already, which would be fine but Christy isn't over any of the stuff with Bonnie and she's a mature adult who has been through the same struggles herself.   

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

But this isn't about her history.  Leaving a kid you are responsible for with somebody the parent hasn't approved without giving the parent a heads up is absolutely not going to be considered okay by the majority of parents (especially of a first born) it wouldn't be if Marjorie was the absolute perfect parent who never had a single fault.   

And at least three of those people were driving the baby around, too! I don't have kids, but the idea of having multiple people I don't even know driving around with my baby in the car...I would be furious.

8 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

and she's a mature adult 

Well...she's an adult... 

• Love 5

The best part of the episode for me honestly was learning that Marjorie drives an Infiniti I30. I never expected Marjorie to drive a luxury car. She seems more like then type to drive a safe and sensible vehicle. So that was unexpected.

Though Infinitis might only be very pricey over here on my end and not pricey in California but still I would never expect Marjorie to drive a mid-sized luxury car even if it was from the mid-to-late 1990s.

Also off topic, but I've decided I'm just gonna ship Christy with Alan Harper and be done with it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 3/12/2020 at 10:19 PM, DXD526 said:

My understanding is that she thought it was allergies, but then realized it was actually the common cold, or something similar. 

On 3/12/2020 at 10:05 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

15 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Thank you for the review! I got to the part where Christy took the baby to the pharmacy before I bailed, so this saves me the time and agita.

You got further than I did. I turned it off as soon as I realized Marjorie was going to leave her grandchild, whom her son and daughter-in-law entrusted to her care (after decades of estrangement), with a friend to take her cat to the vet.

• Love 4

My one take away from this episode is that everything that happened could've been avoided if Marjorie went to her son and daughter in law's house to watch Sophia - rather than them dropping the baby off at Marjorie's cat-infested house on their way to the wedding. 

Yeah, Marjorie wouldn't have known if Boz Scaggs was sick until AFTER she got back from babysitting, but there would've been no calling Christy (who is allergic to cats) to come watch Sophia so Marjorie could take the cat to the vet, then no calling Bonnie when Christy's allergies got too much then no getting flat tire/stuck in a trunk when she got bored and needed to 'get out'

• Love 7
18 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I was just thinking that car seat had to be transferred to so many cars. If nobody but a professional can install it correctly, did they install it correctly. 

At first I thought they handled this kind of nicely when Christy told Bonnie "Marjorie has my car", thus establishing Marjorie left Christy with the car with the already-installed carseat....and then Christy left Bonnie with the car with the carseat. But then they did the stupid flat tire thing and continued the pass-the-baby, presumably moving the carseat to at least two other cars.

This whole episode stressed me out so much I kept needing to pause or walk away. Too cringey.

• Love 6

Was that baby played by twins?  I have to wonder how many hours they had to shoot to get all those happy baby scenes!

I listened to Anna Faris's podcast when they were shooting this episode, and she said there were about six babies. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 3

This episode was a swing and a miss for me. It wasn't funny seeing everyone passing that baby off to everyone else. Marjorie was trusted with the baby and that was that. It they could find others to take her, they should have found others to take the cat to the vet. And besides, I have had cats and if you took them to the vet just because they threw up, you'd spend your life at the vet. 

They have been writing and directing Christy to act like an idiot. That should stop.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

And besides, I have had cats and if you took them to the vet just because they threw up, you'd spend your life at the vet. 

Yeah, I generally try not to get too hung up on details because it's TV, but I thought that too.  There would have to be some larger issue seriously wrong with a cat to get it into a vet right now that same day beyond a little throwing up, but the writing didn't reflect what was such an emergency that it was worth her dumping her granddaughter on the first friend available.

If you live with a house full of cats, any day you DON'T deal with at least a little cat vomit is a good day.

• Love 14
22 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I thought it was funny when Violet came back and she was so anti-Christy and there was a sense that Violet should be over it already, which would be fine but Christy isn't over any of the stuff with Bonnie and she's a mature adult who has been through the same struggles herself.   

For me, the difference is that Christy hasn't cast Bonnie out of her life, and publicly demonized her the way that Violet is with Christy.

• Love 4

As was pointed out by her then sponsor, Nora, Christy continues to live with Bonnie so she doesn't have to pay rent while spending years spewing about her to anyone who will listen and even those who don't.  It's gotten better but that's a situation that's being going on forever.

Going to hazard an educated guess that Christy also did plenty of bitching about Bonnie all the years they didn't talk.

• Love 4

For me, the difference is that Christy hasn't cast Bonnie out of her life, and publicly demonized her the way that Violet is with Christy.

Also, the problem is that Violet seemed to harbor no ill will towards Bonnie. She seems to have a double standard when it comes to her mother versus her grandmother. The situation reeked of the show propping Bonnie so it felt more like an excuse not to have Violet on the show anymore than a  believable situation. By the time Violet had her baby she and Christy were actually on pretty good terms.

• Love 3
On 3/14/2020 at 12:16 AM, SmithW6079 said:

You got further than I did. I turned it off as soon as I realized Marjorie was going to leave her grandchild, whom her son and daughter-in-law entrusted to her care (after decades of estrangement), with a friend to take her cat to the vet.

Ditto for me. I could not watch. 

• Love 1

So happy I was not the only one frustrated with this episode. I have two cats and four grandchildren. For a while my daughter and three of my grandchildren lived with me and there was some concern that one of my grandsons might be allergic to the cats so I put the litter boxes, food, and water in the basement and kept the cats down there while they lived with me. Did I like it, no, but it was a compromise to make everyone happy. The cats didn't mind, they had everything they needed and no little kids chasing them and my daughter wasn't worried about her child getting sick.

In this situation, Marjorie should have just quarantined the cat and then taken care of it after her son picked up her granddaughter. If I were her son, I would have been livid at the fact that the cats were given priority over the kid and insisted if she were to ever watch the baby again, it be at my house and she is not to leave without at least texting and letting me know what is going on. This is not her child and the flagrant disregard for the parents she showed is just not the Marjorie we know.

I think we will see that her decision to put her cats well-being over her granddaughters comes back to bite her in the ass. Her son's biggest issue with her was her decision to choose drugs and alcohol over him, choosing her wants and needs over him and his wants and needs. How is her deciding to take care of her cats over her granddaughter going to appear to him?

Sorry, this episode pissed me off as not only a grandma but a cat owner.

• Love 13

I never expected Marjorie to drive a luxury car. She seems more like then type to drive a safe and sensible vehicle. So that was unexpected.

I'll bet it was Victor's car. :-)

• Useful 2
  • Love 1