Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

S01.E06: Zoey's Extraordinary Night Out

Recommended Posts

Quote

Things get complicated for Zoey at Simon's engagement party. Maggie has a night out alone, but it doesn't go as planned.

Airing Sunday, March 15, 2020.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I love Zoey's dress.

"I can't believe you're dressed as Shaggy wearing Scooby Doo." 😆

I loved the version of I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) at the end. First song I've actually gone and downloaded.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

That rendition of I’m Gonna Be was exactly what I needed to end this horrible, horrible day. I could listen to Skyler Astin sing The Proclaimers all day.

Edited by rwlevin
  • Like 24

Share this post


Link to post

So, this show continues to impress me with the little moments.

I absolutely adored all the songs, but I could listen to Skylar Astin singing all day, especially both the fast and slow versions of 500 Miles.

Paul was an interesting character to add in as Mitch's friend. I actually liked what he added to the episode. I would not object to see Paul again in the future. 

I hate triangles...and love squares, as it is with Jessica/Simon/Zoey/Max. It'll be annoying if we see Zoey jump back and forth so whatever they plan to do, I hope they solve that mess soon. Jessica isn't terrible, and that's what makes it hard. I can't even blame her for her reaction since she listened to Zoey's confession and it didn't make Simon sound good either. I did end up rolling my eyes at Jessica confessing to Zoey that she was usually super jealous with other women. But still, Jessica didn't seem downright horrible so I do feel bad for her.

Mo finds a new boyfriend! Hooray! I loved seeing Mo and Max team up. That was great. And no surprise that Max was self absorbed enough to not see the signs that Autumn was actually hurt by the break-up.

Joan teams up with Leif on a new project! Alrighty then!

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Zoey! You are still Max's boss!

Also, that idea of Lief's is TERRIBLE. Taking pictures of people you see and pinging that against social media? Nope nope nope.

Loved Autumn handling Max. I can't believe he thought it'd be OK to just go back to that coffee shop.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I couldn't believe Zoey told her mom about Simon at the party. Of course someone was going to overhear her. I can't blame Jessica for being upset, even though Zoey has been trying to maintain a distance. 

10 minutes ago, springbarb said:

Also, that idea of Lief's is TERRIBLE. Taking pictures of people you see and pinging that against social media? Nope nope nope.

It made me think of Devil Wears Prada where Miranda needed her assistant to whisper in her ear who she was about to talk to. Veep had Gary to that for Selina too. The idea is like a virtual version of those characters.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

10 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

It made me think of Devil Wears Prada where Miranda needed her assistant to whisper in her ear who she was about to talk to. Veep had Gary to that for Selina too. The idea is like a virtual version of those characters.

Except this idea involves tracking people through social media without their input.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, springbarb said:

Also, that idea of Lief's is TERRIBLE. Taking pictures of people you see and pinging that against social media? Nope nope nope.

 

Isn't that what Google Glasses were supposed to do, years ago? 

I loved how the insult of "you're self absorbed and you dress like a (?) grader" just elicited the response of "you're not self absorbed".  Period.  End of sentence.  And Max really did look good in an adult suit.  And while I thought Zoey's dress was nice, her coat killed! 

Who played Mitch's friend?  (It's not up on IMBD yet.)  At first I thought it was Stephen Weber, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. 

Drunk Joan is fun, but I'm not crazy about her musical numbers.  I think Lauren Graham's voice is fine, but she's not a good dancer, and compared to the rest of the cast it really shows.

I don't want Zoey to get in between Simon and Jessica, but I also really don't want Zoey and Max together.  I wish they didn't have him so into her from the very beginning.  Or, it would be good if he was easily distracted by other women.  A natural barrier from them getting together, rather than relying on "she's his boss" as the reason to keep them apart. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, springbarb said:

Except this idea involves tracking people through social media without their input.

Oh, I agree, it is a terrible idea that violates all kinds of privacy. But that was just what I was picturing in my head.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Who played Mitch's friend?  (It's not up on IMBD yet.)  At first I thought it was Stephen Weber, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. 

His name is John Ralston. He's a Canadian actor. 

 

9 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Drunk Joan is fun, but I'm not crazy about her musical numbers.  I think Lauren Graham's voice is fine, but she's not a good dancer, and compared to the rest of the cast it really shows.

Yeah, to be honest, I actually fast forwarded through her song tonight. I don't get why she keeps getting so many songs. I personally think she's the weakest performer in the cast. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Max's rendition of I'm Gonna Be is probably my favorite performance so far. The ending with Zoey watching him through the window was especially sweet.

I feel bad for Jessica; she hasn't done anything wrong and overhearing that her fiance lied to her about where he was had to hurt, especially at the party. I had to laugh at the flowers going up in flames, though. A perfect metaphor for the whole night. At least Mo had a good time.

And I agree completely with everyone, Leif's idea sounds awful and invasive. Facial recognition tech is bad no matter who's doing it. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

His name is John Ralston. He's a Canadian actor.

Thanks.  I just looked him up on IMDB.  Was surprised to see his age - he's 10 years younger than Peter Gallagher (56 vs. 65), but looked at least his age, if not a bit older than him in this episode. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Close to half way through the episode I thought I was done with this show. I don’t do soaps and I don’t do emo shows. But, gosh, it was well done. Even before the song at the end —and then that song. 
I’m still here. 
 

What substance would cause the flower wall to both ignite quickly and burn out quickly?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I adore Skylar Astin. That scene where he was singing to Zoey through the window was perfect. I never thought 500 Miles would make me cry but there I was bawling my eyes out. Definitely watching Pitched Perfect for the billionth time tomorrow.

Shot Through the Heart! This episode was filled with so many wonderful songs. 
 

I hate shipping Zoey with an engaged guy but Simon is absolutely adorable. I hope it ends soon without Zoey being a home wrecker but it looks like this is the route they decided to take.

I don’t mind Lauren Graham singing. It’s nice to see someone normal sing- it makes her relatable IMO.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

What substance would cause the flower wall to both ignite quickly and burn out quickly?

A small coating of handwavium would do the trick.  Otherwise the entire wall would be aflame, as in some tragic nightclub fires in the past.

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, twoods said:

I don’t mind Lauren Graham singing. It’s nice to see someone normal sing- it makes her relatable IMO.

I think the (second) best part of this show is that not everyone is broadway calibre. they don't have to be and since these numbers are all going on in Zoey's......head?....they don't have to me

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, never thought I’d cry to I’m Gonna Be, but Skylar Astin would be the one to do it.🤣

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

After we've all dried our eyes from walking 500 miles, let's not forget Mary Steenburgen's emotional interactions with someone who cannot visibly interact.

  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, chaifan said:

Who played Mitch's friend?  (It's not up on IMBD yet.)  At first I thought it was Stephen Weber, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. 

I had the same thought but I couldn't find it. (Thank you Lady Calypso!)

On a side note, I don't get how/why IMDB decides who to list in a cast. The episode cast lists Jane Levy, the girl who played Autumn, and someone whose character is just called "Another Guy," but not the guest actor who was in the main side plot. Or anyone else.

Also, can someone tell me exactly how the rose wall caught fire? I looked away for a few seconds and missed it. I guessed Zoey knocked a candle over or something? (Which would mean that the candles were too close to the wall in the first place, frankly.)

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

After we've all dried our eyes from walking 500 miles, let's not forget Mary Steenburgen's emotional interactions with someone who cannot visibly interact.

That and also Paul's quiet moment of reflection on his friend's condition. Not only did he react to the thought of how his friend got to the place that he is, I noticed that Peter Gallagher did an excellent job at emoting there. Even though Mitch isn't capable of emoting to the extent that others can, I swear I saw his eyes change to a more somber tone and maybe even a tear? 

Also, because I've seen John Ralston play more bad guys recently, I was a bit wary of what his role would be in this episode as Paul, but I'm glad it was more to showcase that Mitch had a life before his condition and that even his friends are being affected by this. 

I have Skylar Astin's I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) rendition playing in the background on loop right now. 

8 hours ago, phalange said:

And I agree completely with everyone, Leif's idea sounds awful and invasive. Facial recognition tech is bad no matter who's doing it. 

So true. I didn't mention this in my original post with how much it bugged me. It's a terrible idea. I swore that the next episode was going to start with Leif going to Joan in the beginning to excitedly try to plan his new app idea with her, only to have her shut it down because she couldn't remember the pitch to begin with (an idea that was really more Joan forcing it, anyway). But with them showing Joan/Leif actively planning it at work late at night, it seems like they may actually follow through...which is terrible. Hopefully someone shuts that down. 

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Joan needs to find some friends who do not work for her. Pressuring Zoey to go out drinking with her was all kinds of inappropriate.

Also, I don't drink much. If you just order "a couple shots" at a bar...what do they give you? (I'm always amused by non-specific drink orders on TV where somehow the bartender knows exactly what they mean.)
 

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, springbarb said:

Also, that idea of Lief's is TERRIBLE. Taking pictures of people you see and pinging that against social media? Nope nope nope.

I KNOW. I hope when Joan sobers up she realizes what a privacy/consent nightmare the app is.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

This was my least favorite episode.  Up to this point I didn't feel like the show was using cliche-ish bits and non-believable happenings (other than Zoey being able to hear people's minds).  Last night, that changed.

Having Jessica overhear the conversation between Zoey and her mom was a bit too much.  Not only did it have to be a "right place, right time" situation, but the place was loud with music.  I can barely hear the person with whom I am speaking in those situations.  Second, I don't buy that Jessica would announce to everyone the shame she feels at her own engagement party.  Finally, burning up the rose display was just too dramatic.

Before this episode the show was covering real problems in real ways.  Last night they jumped the shark. I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I couldn't believe Zoey told her mom about Simon at the party. Of course someone was going to overhear her. I can't blame Jessica for being upset, even though Zoey has been trying to maintain a distance.

Though I have to say, they did a good setup. Usually when people are sharing confidences, it's pretty clear there's a place where others can overhear. Just for a moment I thought, well, they are well away from other people in a small space. Then the pan to the window after. Nicely done, even if it is a common plot line.

9 hours ago, chaifan said:

Isn't that what Google Glasses were supposed to do, years ago? 

I loved how the insult of "you're self absorbed and you dress like a (?) grader" just elicited the response of "you're not self absorbed".  Period.  End of sentence.  And Max really did look good in an adult suit.  And while I thought Zoey's dress was nice, her coat killed! 

Who played Mitch's friend?  (It's not up on IMBD yet.)  At first I thought it was Stephen Weber, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. 

Drunk Joan is fun, but I'm not crazy about her musical numbers.  I think Lauren Graham's voice is fine, but she's not a good dancer, and compared to the rest of the cast it really shows.

I don't want Zoey to get in between Simon and Jessica, but I also really don't want Zoey and Max together.  I wish they didn't have him so into her from the very beginning.  Or, it would be good if he was easily distracted by other women.  A natural barrier from them getting together, rather than relying on "she's his boss" as the reason to keep them apart. 

My husband was a programmer, so it was jeans and t-shirts every day. Then one day we were going to a wedding, and my 3 year old saw him in a suit for the first time. She laughed and pointed at him and said "Daddy, you're a MAN!" LOL.

I've been very meh on Sylar Astin - haven't really seen what the fuss is about in terms of looks. But the shirt free scene...upped that meh just a bit. 😉

Lauren's dancing does stand out, which is too bad. I don't really want them to all look like professional dancers, but putting her in the spotlight with a line of men who are doing the same dance really highlights the difference.

 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

What substance would cause the flower wall to both ignite quickly and burn out quickly?

Whatever was used to affix them to the wall, it might have been a glue or it could have been string.

I did think it was very funny since the couple's names were always clearly visible throughout the entire conflagration.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Available on itunes/amazon:

  • I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - Skylar Astiin
  • Say My Name - India de Beaufort

I was totally on Autumn's side. They just broke up YESTERDAY and he showed up at her place of work the next day, which is gall in itself, but he just acted like nothing happened. Dick move, Max. She can't be expected to get a new job just because you dumped her, so the least you could do is not show up 24 hours later and give her not only the oblivious hiiiiiiiiiii but then babble on for 30 seconds about how many drink choices are on the menu.

If you're going to be a shitty ex-boyfriend, then at least have the common courtesy not to be a shitty customer. Decide what you want before you get to the register. The cashier does not want to hear your entire thought process about selecting a beverage.

Guys like Max drive me crazy. They never want to be the bad guy so they can't handle the fact that when they dump someone, that someone is upset about it. Actions have consequences. She's allowed to be hurt and mad. You can't talk her out of how she feels and frankly, you shouldn't try.

I liked that Joan and Zoey went out together. They could both use a female friend.

India de Beaufort is gorgeous and she looked so radiant in this episode (or at least until she started yelling at Zoey).

I really hope that Zoey's mom doesn't let this incident make her feel so guilty that she never leaves her husband with anyone else again. I've seen this happen when someone becomes a caretaker for their spouse. They become convinced that they're the only one who can take care of this person properly which leads to them declining any kind of help and then eventually their whole world revolves around that role.

Although I am willing to believe that there was a wait for Lyft after a Warriors game, the Chase Center is over by UCSF which is not really a residential area so there wouldn't be a bunch of people in Warriors gear walking around the neighborhood where Jessica and Simon live.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was totally on Autumn's side. They just broke up YESTERDAY and he showed up at her place of work the next day, which is gall in itself, but he just acted like nothing happened. Dick move, Max. She can't be expected to get a new job just because you dumped her, so the least you could do is not show up 24 hours later and give her not only the oblivious hiiiiiiiiiii but then babble on for 30 seconds about how many drink choices are on the menu.

If you're going to be a shitty ex-boyfriend, then at least have the common courtesy not to be a shitty customer. Decide what you want before you get to the register. The cashier does not want to hear your entire thought process about selecting a beverage.

Yes and yes...
but I thought the set up from last week in which Autumn pretended to be totally cool with the breakup prevents Max's character from total assassination
...which we needed in order to appreciate his song (which we did).

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I don't love the pining best friend trope.. So not a fan of max/zoey... Zoey hasn't shown any interest so let it be.. She and Simon have a mutual attraction... I also don't love the engagement breakup trope so I hope Simon figures out what it is he wants too... Maybe a few weeks of everyone chilling the hell out and thinking rationally  out would be great

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, because I've seen John Ralston play more bad guys recently, I was a bit wary of what his role would be in this episode as Paul, but I'm glad it was more to showcase that Mitch had a life before his condition and that even his friends are being affected by this. 

I was like, "This guy is trouble." I'm glad it wasn't anything nefarious, but I spent the episode very wary of him.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

What substance would cause the flower wall to both ignite quickly and burn out quickly?

They also might have sprayed the flowers with something to keep them fresh or to make them look shiny for the photos.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My husband was a programmer, so it was jeans and t-shirts every day. Then one day we were going to a wedding, and my 3 year old saw him in a suit for the first time. She laughed and pointed at him and said "Daddy, you're a MAN!" LOL.

That is adorable!

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Guys like Max drive me crazy. They never want to be the bad guy so they can't handle the fact that when they dump someone, that someone is upset about it. Actions have consequences. She's allowed to be hurt and mad. You can't talk her out of how she feels and frankly, you shouldn't try.

And just because the breakup was mostly drama free doesn't mean Autumn isn't hurt and angry. It means she's an adult and isn't going to make a public scene.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I liked that Joan and Zoey went out together. They could both use a female friend.

Same, but the boss/employee dynamic is very problematic. 

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I really hope that Zoey's mom doesn't let this incident make her feel so guilty that she never leaves her husband with anyone else again. I've seen this happen when someone becomes a caretaker for their spouse. They become convinced that they're the only one who can take care of this person properly which leads to them declining any kind of help and then eventually their whole world revolves around that role.

I think it helps that Zoey told her the doctors were surprised a fall hadn't happened earlier. The family isn't trained in home health care, no matter how many instructions they get. And a fall could happen with home health care. Some sort of injury is inevitable. They should focus on the fact that the dad is okay and use this as a way to make adjustments so everyone feels safe. (I don't mean that to come off as preachy/strident as it might.)

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

And just because the breakup was mostly drama free doesn't mean Autumn isn't hurt and angry.

True, but in Max's defense, she essentially lied to him about her feelings after being asked several times (which was of course still pretty understandable under the circumstances). While Max might be emotionally stunted for not recognizing how her she would feel notwithstanding her protestations to the contrary, she still bears at least some blame for concealing her true feeling as masterfully as she did. Maybe 5%.

Still, showing up the next day as if nothing had happened was pretty harsh.

Edited by ahpny
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

It shows how little he ever felt for her that Max was so easily able to believe Autumn had no ill feelings after the break up, and that he could show up at her workplace the next day and act like it was nothing. He's not usually an insensitive lout, so I think they were deliberately underlining his indifference in order to emphasize that he's really still and always has been hung up on Zoey, and not that he's just the sort of guy who can transfer his feelings easily back and forth.

Max and Mo were great together.

Max's background reaction when Maggie was telling Mitch that she's not ready to lose him was masterful.

I hope when Joan and Leif sober up, they realize their app is a terrible idea. I did like her being fun, though, and Leif responding to it. He's really been a totally unlikable dirtbag since the first episode, and I didn't totally hate him this week, so nice change of pace but not entirely believable as a true character evolution.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

That is adorable!

And just because the breakup was mostly drama free doesn't mean Autumn isn't hurt and angry. It means she's an adult and isn't going to make a public scene.

Same, but the boss/employee dynamic is very problematic. 

I think it helps that Zoey told her the doctors were surprised a fall hadn't happened earlier. The family isn't trained in home health care, no matter how many instructions they get. And a fall could happen with home health care. Some sort of injury is inevitable. They should focus on the fact that the dad is okay and use this as a way to make adjustments so everyone feels safe. (I don't mean that to come off as preachy/strident as it might.)

A friend was taking care of their spouse similarly, and a fall ended up injuring both of them severely. It was very traumatic all around. It's hard to take that step (making adjustments), but boy is it important.

Yeah, she was a pretty adorable kid (except when she wasn't. 😉 )

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

It shows how little he ever felt for her that Max was so easily able to believe Autumn had no ill feelings after the break up, and that he could show up at her workplace the next day and act like it was nothing. He's not usually an insensitive lout, so I think they were deliberately underlining his indifference in order to emphasize that he's really still and always has been hung up on Zoey, and not that he's just the sort of guy who can transfer his feelings easily back and forth.

Very true. Autumn desperately wanted to find someone to love but for Max she was just the girl Zoey pushed on him. He’s not a bad guy but they were horribly mismatched. 
 

A lot of the blame actually falls on Zoey. She knew Max and Autumn’s true feelings and still pushed them together for her own convenience. I really love this show but Zoey needs to start growing more. She’s has this ability to hear people’s emotions but she really not very empathic on her own. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, mybabyaidan said:

I wasn't sold on Zoey and Max until the end of this episode.

Me too! I was annoyed at the end of the first episode when they hit us with the whole "best friend secretly in love with her cliche"... But tonight the secretly buff and totally charming Skylar sold me on it.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone else find it hard to get current events out of their head no matter what they are doing/watching? The scene with Maggie and Mitch at the end sent my anxiety through the roof as Mitch would clearly be in an extremely high risk category due to the pandemic we're living through in real life. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, AllyB said:

Anyone else find it hard to get current events out of their head no matter what they are doing/watching? The scene with Maggie and Mitch at the end sent my anxiety through the roof as Mitch would clearly be in an extremely high risk category due to the pandemic we're living through in real life. 

That didn’t occur to me, but, yes that’s true.

I expect a seismic shift will be noticed at this time when future viewers watch shows and movies.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/16/2020 at 12:05 AM, chaifan said:

Thanks.  I just looked him up on IMDB.  Was surprised to see his age - he's 10 years younger than Peter Gallagher (56 vs. 65), but looked at least his age, if not a bit older than him in this episode. 

It's all the recreational drugs and the lack of medical care!

On 3/16/2020 at 12:16 PM, dubbel zout said:

ll hadn't happened earlier. The family isn't trained in home health care, no matter how many instructions they get. And a fall could happen with home health care. Some sort of injury is inevitable. They should focus on the fact that the dad is okay and use this as a way to make adjustments so everyone feels safe. (I don't mean that to come off as preachy/strident as it might.)

I never understood how Maggie was supposedly doing all of Mitch's toileting, bathing, etc.,  by herself.  In real life, he'd have a home health aide at least in the morning to get him out of bed and set up for the day, and the reverse at night.

I also find it a little unrealistic that Max disassembled a queen bed, carried the frame, mattress, etc. downstairs by himself, and reassembled it in the space that is conveniently available for it , again by himself, all while wearing a suit.  (Yeah, I know he could have changed clothes back and forth, etc. . . ..)  Also, Mitch would be in a bed that would mechanically raise him up and down by now, I'm sure.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, AllyB said:

Anyone else find it hard to get current events out of their head no matter what they are doing/watching? The scene with Maggie and Mitch at the end sent my anxiety through the roof as Mitch would clearly be in an extremely high risk category due to the pandemic we're living through in real life. 

I was watching the Voice auditions last night and cringing at all the hand-shaking and hugging between the coaches and contestants. (Not sure when they were taped.)

  

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I expect a seismic shift will be noticed at this time when future viewers watch shows and movies.  

I just hope this doesn't become a plot point on Grey's Anatomy, et. al. when they get back to taping. (You just know they're frantically writing the Max Solves Coronavirus episode of New Amsterdam as we speak.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

 

5 hours ago, AllyB said:

Anyone else find it hard to get current events out of their head no matter what they are doing/watching? The scene with Maggie and Mitch at the end sent my anxiety through the roof as Mitch would clearly be in an extremely high risk category due to the pandemic we're living through in real life. 

I think of it like watching old shows set in NYC and seeing the WTC towers in the background.  The first few times it was weird, but then it isn't. 

Count me as one who hopes that fictional tv shows remain coronavirus free.  I don't need cv related plots shoehorned into shows.  I don't need Zoey walking down the street hearing everyone sing "It's the End of the World as We Know It".  Wait, actually, that would be fun...

 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

I typically find Lauren Graham to be exceptionally charming and an excellent actress, but this role is NOT doing it for me. For some reason, it’s just not landing, but I can’t put my finger on why. The writing? Her delivery? Whatever it is, it bums me out.

I like Zoey, but I’m not quite endeared to her yet. For someone who’s supposedly brilliant, she often has no common sense and makes terrible decisions, socially speaking. Like not calling or texting Jessica back. Wouldn’t this seem MORE suspicious? And then just the way she interacts with people 75% of the time. Like, just stop being weird.

Skylar Astin’s version of 500 miles was KILLER. How has Zoey not fallen deeply in love with Max yet??

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Chanandler Bong said:

I like Zoey, but I’m not quite endeared to her yet. For someone who’s supposedly brilliant, she often has no common sense and makes terrible decisions, socially speaking. Like not calling or texting Jessica back. Wouldn’t this seem MORE suspicious? And then just the way she interacts with people 75% of the time. Like, just stop being weird.

I also found it odd that, when her mom said Jessica had asked for her number, she didn't respond with "did she say why?" Seems like the obvious question. 

 

11 hours ago, chaifan said:

Count me as one who hopes that fictional tv shows remain coronavirus free.  I don't need cv related plots shoehorned into shows.  I don't need Zoey walking down the street hearing everyone sing "It's the End of the World as We Know It".  Wait, actually, that would be fun...

Apropos...

image.thumb.png.6e7bbc0b192a03b006ceaaa550e12088.png

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, chaifan said:

Count me as one who hopes that fictional tv shows remain coronavirus free.  I don't need cv related plots shoehorned into shows.  I don't need Zoey walking down the street hearing everyone sing "It's the End of the World as We Know It".  Wait, actually, that would be fun...

I watch shows to get away from real life (at least in terms of bigger events), so I don't want to see it. I have enough trouble with shows growing darker and darker and not lifting me out of my mood. Music, with silly and/or touching stories is just the ticket.

2 hours ago, Chanandler Bong said:

I typically find Lauren Graham to be exceptionally charming and an excellent actress, but this role is NOT doing it for me. For some reason, it’s just not landing, but I can’t put my finger on why. The writing? Her delivery? Whatever it is, it bums me out.

I've never particularly cared for Lauren Graham, but I always put it down to the characters she played. So maybe this third time (for me), I'm starting to think maybe it's her.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Chanandler Bong said:

I typically find Lauren Graham to be exceptionally charming and an excellent actress, but this role is NOT doing it for me. For some reason, it’s just not landing, but I can’t put my finger on why. The writing? Her delivery? Whatever it is, it bums me out.

I think for me, it's the character. I don't want to have a girl's night out with my boss, that's weird. Nobody at this place has professional boundaries, although I think that's probably the case at tech companies like that where everybody works such long hours. I wasn't a Gilmore Girls watcher but I did watch Parenthood, and her character got on my nerves - but I generally find her funny and charming in interviews.

8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I never understood how Maggie was supposedly doing all of Mitch's toileting, bathing, etc.,  by herself.  In real life, he'd have a home health at least in the morning to get him out of bed and set up for the day, and the reverse at night.

Right - if nothing else, lifting a full-grown man is a bigger job than she could realistically handle. It's nuts to me that the family is doing ALL of this themselves. They appear to be a family of some means.

2 hours ago, Chanandler Bong said:

For someone who’s supposedly brilliant, she often has no common sense and makes terrible decisions, socially speaking.

Oh, I know plenty of people like that. Brilliant at whatever their thing is, but no common sense. My problem is that I don't buy Zoey as a brilliant coder either because the show hasn't done enough to show us that. (She also needs some management training.)

Max doesn't have good sense! He just rolls into Autumn's job all "We good, right?" THE DAY AFTER he breaks up with her? Come on, dude. I fell out when Autumn said he dressed like a third-grader.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I also find it a little unrealistic that Max disassembled a queen bed, carried the frame, mattress, etc. downstairs by himself, and reassembled it in the space that is conveniently available for it , again by himself, all while wearing a suit.

I am shocked, shocked!, that they didn't use this as an excuse to show Max shirtless again. 

10 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I never understood how Maggie was supposedly doing all of Mitch's toileting, bathing, etc.,  by herself. 

My Dad was bedridden for short period before he passed.  We did have hospice help, but they were not around the clock.  There was no way my Mom could have physically done the lifting.  Us kids stepped up, but none of us were trained.  We just sort of muddled thru the best we could.  I have tremendous respect for anyone who acts as a caregiver to the disabled or elderly. 

4 hours ago, Chanandler Bong said:

I typically find Lauren Graham to be exceptionally charming and an excellent actress, but this role is NOT doing it for me.

I never watched Gilmore Girls, but I did watch Parenthood and I enjoyed her there.  I agree that she seems to be the weak link in the cast of this show.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I never understood how Maggie was supposedly doing all of Mitch's toileting, bathing, etc.,  by herself.  In real life, he'd have a home health aide at least in the morning to get him out of bed and set up for the day, and the reverse at night.

Absolutely!   I have personal experience with this type of illness in a family member and we had home health aides every morning and evening, a main floor bedroom and bathroom, hoyer lifts and equipment, etc.  There's no way we could physically lift and carry them around.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size