Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E11: Tommy's Story

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think with these participants, yes I believe they were abused (far too common and tragic), but if you take someone who in a society was likely always going to be heavier if given access to the calories, add in poverty, substance abuse, sexual/physical abuse in childhood and depression=you get a 600lbs person going to see Dr Now, where as if you take someone with a “stable” upbringing they are just a “normal fat person” in our society who watches their weight all the time. 

I liked Tommy quite a bit. I want him to succeed too. 

Their voice overs are all so similar.  They all seem to come from pretty lousy families with all of the family members obese.   And then there's that one person who crosses the line and just keeps eating and eating.  That's the 600 lb one.   I believe most were probably abused but some of the stories I do think are embellished.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The girlfriend acted like his jailer, and his mother, not a girlfriend. 

She's not 320 either.  

In her dreams.  I would add another hundred to that, plus she seemed to keep gaining while he was losing.  I liked Tommy and wish him success, but Amanda will be visiting a tentmaker for her wedding dress if she keeps going.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

"This is HIS program!" Wow!

Just as Dr. Now moved psychotherapy far earlier into the process over the years, it seems like the most practical thing in a situation where the incoming patient's partner is overweight is to say "the household has to do it. " He came closest to saying it outright here, but at that first visit getting the partner/parents to weigh in and agree on the record to follow it would at least stop the "my life doesn't need to be interrupted" mindset in its tracks.

Even if you're not going to weigh them in, at least it might push them to  be supportive at home and just go to the drive through alone.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Supersized episode (I have to laugh every time I see they call it Supersized) for Tommy is this Thursday, the 16th at 7-9 p.m. Central.       

@CrazyInAlabama Thank you for mentioning this. My DVR didn't recognize it as a new episode so I probably would have missed it. Yeah, I snicker everytime I think "supersize". 😆 

• Love 1
(edited)

Dr. Now is encouraging codependency YET AGAIN. Amanda has to do the diet if Tommy is doing it? No way, Jose. Tommy is the one who ate himself to nearly 700 pounds; he's the one who sought help for his weight, not his fiancee. And Dr. Now should be encouraging Tommy to ignore the temptations around him, as Dr. Now has told patients in the past to do. I especially love how the fiancee's description of how she forces Tommy to do for himself is "classic enabler logic." Huh? That makes ZERO sense. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Dr. Now is inconsistent with how he deals with patients' families, and he comes to a lot of conclusions that are not based in reality or empirical evidence but in his preconceived notions about things. I find him more and more frustrating; at this point he's a TV personality I love to hate.

And I pegged Amanda at between 450-500 pounds. She is really big. She just looks smaller next to Tommy, but if she were sitting beside a normal-weight human her true size would make itself known. I can't bring myself to like her, but I don't think it's right for Dr. Now to insist that if she isn't doing the diet with Tommy, she is somehow enabling him. Um, okay.

Edited by Ralphster