Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Airdate 2020.03.08

With the Whisperers coming for Hilltop, the communities must decide whether to run or stay and fight.

REMINDER:  This thread is for discussion of what appears onscreen only.  If you didn't see it happen, it does not belong here and your post WILL be removed.  DO NOT DISCUSS CASTING NEWS, including reported cast comings and goings, OR SPOILERS.   We have separate threads for spoilers or the comics.  

I get so irritated when TPTB try the artistic crap. Musical, sad montage the eve of the Battle of Agincourt? Nope. Yeah, I know. Elpha 'controls mass hordes", which makes no sense in this universe or any other. If that were possible someone else might have thought about it in the last 10 years.

• Love 6

I really don't get the Whisperer's motivation in all of this. Their whole thing is that the Walkers are some sort of natural evolution or something, and that the living aren't really "living". So why the hell are they going through so much trouble to prevent themselves from dying. Like last week with Beta's bullet proof vest. And they 'kill' a LOT of their own pet Walkers so I don't get it. And why do they care so much what other people are doing?? 

• Love 19
1 minute ago, gutbuster said:

And they 'kill' a LOT of their own pet Walkers so I don't get it.

Awful kills a lot of her own living people, babies included, so I don't know why they're bothering with this charade either.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I get so irritated when TPTB try the artistic crap. Musical, sad montage the eve of the Battle of Agincourt? Nope. Yeah, I know. Elpha 'controls mass hordes", which makes no sense in this universe or any other. If that were possible someone else might have thought about it in the last 10 years.

Agreed. I know I am well past the point of being emotionally manipulated by this show, and I am EASILY emotionally manipulated by crappy movies and tv.

It doesn't help that the Whisperers' whole shtick is based off of doing something that was proven time and again that people just can't do. Shuffling along and chatting quietly shouldn't be enough to prevent detection by Walkers. This has been my main point of irritation with this group. 

• Love 12
(edited)
2 minutes ago, gutbuster said:

Shuffling along and chatting quietly shouldn't be enough to prevent detection by Walkers. This has been my main point of irritation with this group. 

For sure, and not just shuffling and whispering, but cooking and eating and sleeping and arguing and murdering each other - all undetected by the dullest zombies out there. They didn't even find Negan and Awful banging each other right in the open.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

None of this makes sense; Alpha controlling hordes, the Whisperers talking and living among the walkers, what the Whisperers want etc. Most of the bad guys want food and shelter, Alpha just wants more walkers. What happens to the horde when the Whisperers are off doing other things? They just hang around and wait.

I liked the part with Eugene but hope Stephanie won’t turn out to be evil. Happy to see Carol and Ezekiel reunited even if it is too late.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

What happens to the horde when the Whisperers are off doing other things?

They’re either trapped in the worlds largest cave or in a field being led around in circles

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Just my random thoughts about last night's show.

What kind of trees release a flammable substance? Were those intestines they were using as bags to collect that stuff?

I loved that Judith fixed Daryl's angel wings, that was a cute moment.

Can I just say that Christian Serratos looked exceptionally pretty last night?

How are our heroes gonna get themselves out of this mess?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

What kind of trees release a flammable substance?

Uhhh... pretty much all of them?  It’s called ‘wood’.

<I know, I know, but I couldn’t resist - and I tried, really....>. 😁

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Uhhh... pretty much all of them?  It’s called ‘wood’.

<I know, I know, but I couldn’t resist - and I tried, really....>. 😁

*facepalm* I admire your restraint 😛 🙂

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Shuffling along and chatting quietly shouldn't be enough to prevent detection by Walkers. 

But . . . they have masks!

Is anyone else as sick of Eugene as I am? I'm just so over his dumb way of talking and his dumb mullet pony tail. I can't believe we've lost Rick, Carl, Glenn, Abe and Jesus but we still have freaking Eugene. 

Ho hum, another battle. How thrilling, how original. There are only a handful of characters I even know the names of anymore, I wonder which one they will kill off next.  

• Love 13

So Neegan did not even need lessons in zombie horde walking?  You just put on the rotting mask and it comes to you.

If it's called Hilltop, why are they always at the bottom?  Take the high ground!

Did like Darryl recognizing Negan's MO instantly.

• Love 5

I'm sick and tired of Darryl, Ezekiel and the rest of the adults coddling that little brat "I can fight" Judith.  Somebody needs to take her little ass and lock her in a room for a while with someone standing guard.  Just bring her food and water.

If they don't do something about her, I can see her getting people killed just like Carol did. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Is anyone else as sick of Eugene as I am? I'm just so over his dumb way of talking and his dumb mullet pony tail.

I could take a ponytail better than the very long pigtail, which he must take time to braid every morning.

1 hour ago, BravoAddict72 said:

Why is everyone so afraid of Alpha? I don't get it. All those people live under her stupid rules. Next time Beta is off someone kill her already! I hate her.

It's part of the unforgiveable dumbness that is driving people away from watching. As if Negan couldn't have killed her in one second during their sordid tryst. Okay, maybe after, since it seems he was beyond desperate for a little nookie.

36 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Somebody needs to take her little ass and lock her in a room for a while with someone standing guard. 

😆 I know. Not nice, but I just want to give her a good spanking.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Judith doesn't bother me but I don't find her compelling either. I'm apparently expected to have some sort of attachment to her since she's the last remaining vestige of Rick but the character was still a baby the last time Rick was even on the show. To me she's just another new character I don't really give a damn about.  

• Love 10
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:
9 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

What kind of trees release a flammable substance? Were those intestines they were using as bags to collect that stuff?

Pine Pitch (resin).

Are they in Georgia?  The 'fire sticks' so heavily advertised in cities for starting fires in seldom used fireplaces are from a specific Georgia pine ?subspecies.  So our esteemed writers read catalogs! 

Now can somebody explain why the whisperers evolved to ....whisper and who was the first one to put on a dead face?

• Love 2

See, while I don't particularly enjoy the squeaky voiced little urchin when she's trying to impart some sort of child wisdom, that Lori's daughter is completely annoying and won't stay where anyone tries to put her never fails to make me laugh.

I guess every show has to have their buildup to the Long Night where everyone gets reflective while they wait to die, get a little, or in this case try to carry out some tortured ham radio tinder romance.  This one was actually better than some I've seen, even if I really could have done without freaking Eugene of all people wailing an Iron Maiden cover to stave off their fear or whatever.  I've already seen that scene on Stranger Things where it was done better by 14-year-olds who at least had the excuse of only being 14.

Good on Daryl immediately recognizing the roadblocks as Negan's handiwork, even if it seems even more implausible for the Whisperers to manage that than the Saviors, who at least would have had access to earthmoving or construction equipment to construct their elaborate Wile E. Coyote setups.  The morning star is an interesting addition to the weapons we've seen used, but only NOW do we find out that the skin wearing freaks are also apparently expert bowmen on top of everything else?  Where have they been keeping these bows while they're busy shuffling along with the dead?  And I have to ask yet again, WHAT is the motivation for raining this kind of death and destruction down on people you supposedly believe are already dead anyway?

I still like Carol and Ezekiel together a lot so I was glad to finally see some movement on that front, regardless of whether it was meant to be a goodbye fuck or an acknowledgement of what they'd been.  Zeke is fine indeed, even being stuck with his character now going around introducing his tumor to everyone like a long lost cousin in from out of town.  While we can certainly quibble about time and place with an attack imminent, Carol's brief talk with Lydia was so well done in revealing where each of their heads are at.  "I had a whole life."  "I remember," really got me.  Lydia doesn't argue with her about killing her "monster" mother, just that when it happens it won't bring anything back and that Lydia's attention won't be on Carol when it does.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I get so irritated when TPTB try the artistic crap. Musical, sad montage the eve of the Battle of Agincourt? Nope. 

Ugh, it annoys me too.  Not only here but also on Talking Dead when they try to make it out like it's all some sort of high art.  It's a freaking zombie show.  A good one, but it's still a zombie show.

Last night they were making a big deal how brilliant it was that Negan's whisperer match had its mouth carved into a Joker smile (supposedly JD Morgan's idea).  First off, I didn't even notice that watching TWD.  Secondly, I think that is a horrible, cringeworthy idea.

50 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Judith doesn't bother me but I don't find her compelling either. I'm apparently expected to have some sort of attachment to her since she's the last remaining vestige of Rick

Not only is she the last remaining vestige of Rick, but also of Lori, and more especially she's basically the stand in replacement for Carl.  She doesn't bug me.  I wouldn't call her compelling either, but I do like the character.  And she's a kid, I don't really care that she doesn't stay put when told.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I'm apparently expected to have some sort of attachment to her since she's the last remaining vestige of Rick

Well, the last remaining vestige of Lori and Shane. Michonne's invisible kid is actually Rick's last remaining legacy.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8
(edited)
50 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Well, the last remaining vestige of Lori and Shane. Michonne's invisible kid is actually Rick's last remaining legacy.

Lol, you're right, I forgot Judith was actually Shane's kid.

But she's still a replacement for Carl. 

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 2

I see I made a mistake by hitting the Off button after a glimpse of Hardwick's pinched features. I missed out on the decision to go to battle in the dead of night(?) which seems kind of a nutty strategy, but oh, well. I also missed the "300" slo-mo battle itself. Some redshirt got torched, Daryl borrowed Aaron's mace, everything smelled like Christmas trees and Connie's sibling's impending deafness is no handicap. But the best was Negan and his ladylove in their little masks and Negan being all turned on at her "bad-assery." I think he's been reading too much fanfic. I'm so happy to be all caught up.

Oh, hell. I forgot about the human catapults. Who knew a diet of leaves, bark and bugs could build that kind of strength?

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • LOL 1
23 hours ago, gutbuster said:

I really don't get the Whisperer's motivation in all of this. Their whole thing is that the Walkers are some sort of natural evolution or something, and that the living aren't really "living". So why the hell are they going through so much trouble to prevent themselves from dying. Like last week with Beta's bullet proof vest. And they 'kill' a LOT of their own pet Walkers so I don't get it. And why do they care so much what other people are doing?? 

And weren't they nomads until they came to this area? Why do they care about their turf? I thought they just wandered and whispered.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, alrightythen said:

I just want to know what mode of transportation Eugene will use for his date.  It's about a 6-hour drive from Alexandria VA to Charleston WV by car.  I hope he's not planning to use the horse-mobile.

I was thinking how is he going to keep his date if he's dead?

And how is Ezekiel supposed to get the kids out if the Whisperers have the Hilltop blocked in?

• Love 3

You know Carol, I might have gone with something like “sorry I got your kinda girlfriend killed with my own stupidity how you doing?” or something, instead of “please don’t hate me, I know your grieving and people are dead, but this is still mostly about me right?” but that’s just me. 

• Love 7

All that effort to rig up an electrified wire, a couple of wires fixed six inches off the floor would have been a thousand times more effective, trip and stab the first wave etc etc 😴

What the hell kept exploding in such dramatic fashion?

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

But . . . they have masks!

Is anyone else as sick of Eugene as I am? I'm just so over his dumb way of talking and his dumb mullet pony tail. I can't believe we've lost Rick, Carl, Glenn, Abe and Jesus but we still have freaking Eugene. 

Ho hum, another battle. How thrilling, how original. There are only a handful of characters I even know the names of anymore, I wonder which one they will kill off next.  

I am heartily sick of Eugene.  His community is facing yet ANOTHER fight for their lives and he's more concerned about phone sex with his pen-pal?  Fuck him! 

And I agree about the characters.  People who were glorified extras a few seasons ago are now major characters.   Some of them are interesting but, unfortunately, I DON'T KNOW THEIR NAMES.  People were going on about 'Laura' getting' killed and I was wondering when 'Laura' was introduced.  I don't remember her.

Now that Gamma's joined the merry band, Earl's shirt is rapidly turning red.  And I LIKE Earl.  He's suffered a lot at the hands of the Whisperers and I don't see why he should be forced to even CONSIDER letting that beagle-face anywhere near HIS baby after she left it on the ground to be torn to pieces.

15 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

That child doesn't even get a chance to speak much less be the symbol of the 'great love' between Michonne and Rick.  I think it's a bit insulting that Judith gets shoved down our throats, but RJ barely gets a mention.

Judith is a perfect example of 'nature vs nuture'.  I KNOW Michonne taught her to listen when she's told to do something, especially in a battle.  But she's Shane and Lori's daughter so she's going to fuck things up no matter what she's been told.

As if fucking Carol wasn't bad enough, the second Zeke said 'where's Judith?', I knew he was dead. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Good on Daryl immediately recognizing the roadblocks as Negan's handiwork, even if it seems even more implausible for the Whisperers to manage that than the Saviors, who at least would have had access to earthmoving or construction equipment to construct their elaborate Wile E. Coyote setups.  The morning star is an interesting addition to the weapons we've seen used, but only NOW do we find out that the skin wearing freaks are also apparently expert bowmen on top of everything else?  Where have they been keeping these bows while they're busy shuffling along with the dead?  And I have to ask yet again, WHAT is the motivation for raining this kind of death and destruction down on people you supposedly believe are already dead anyway?

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?

These people are eating bugs off the ground but they have a whole fucking arsenal of weapons?  That was deep fried fuckery.

9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

You know Carol, I might have gone with something like “sorry I got your kinda girlfriend killed with my own stupidity how you doing?” or something, instead of “please don’t hate me, I know your grieving and people are dead, but this is still mostly about me right?” but that’s just me. 

I REALLY want Carol to die.  I've had enough of her selfish, self-absorbed ass.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

Some of them are interesting but, unfortunately, I DON'T KNOW THEIR NAMES.  People were going on about 'Laura' getting' killed and I was wondering when 'Laura' was introduced.  I don't remember her.

I had no idea either, until someone enlightened me last week. She's the barcode tat woman from the Sanctuary. I've already forgotten how she died. Oh, well.

38 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

Now that Gamma's joined the merry band, Earl's shirt is rapidly turning red.  And I LIKE Earl.  He's suffered a lot at the hands of the Whisperers and I don't see why he should be forced to even CONSIDER letting that beagle-face anywhere near HIS baby after she left it on the ground to be torn to pieces.

Agree. I like Earl too, from what little we've seen of him. I've already mentioned the insanity of Alden and Aaron thinking it's fine to let that little mutt touch the baby, especially after she murdered the baby's mother - her own sister.  If it means so very much to her, let her look at him through a window. Hmm. I wonder who the father is. Probably long dead or the child is the result of some rape.

38 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

I REALLY want Carol to die.  I've had enough of her selfish, self-absorbed ass.

I never thought I'd agree with that, but I do.

• Love 3

Last night they were making a big deal how brilliant it was that Negan's whisperer match had its mouth carved into a Joker smile (supposedly JD Morgan's idea).  First off, I didn't even notice that watching TWD.  Secondly, I think that is a horrible, cringeworthy idea.

That's the whole problem with the show in a nutshell. They're so busy patting themselves on the back for set pieces and special effects and camera angles they aren't paying any attention to the actual story or what's wrong with it.

You know Carol, I might have gone with something like “sorry I got your kinda girlfriend killed with my own stupidity how you doing?” or something, instead of “please don’t hate me, I know your grieving and people are dead, but this is still mostly about me right?” but that’s just me. 

I don't think Connie and Magna are dead, more's the pity. It feels like the show is trying very hard to make them the new main characters. Their pals were all set to go look for them in this episode. I don't think they'd still be searching for them if they were goners. And again, I still cannot remember their names beyond Connie and Magna. There's Connie's sister, and the chubby guy, and the Asian woman. See how well the show has introduced and developed them?

• Love 11
22 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yes, I yell this at my TV whenever she's referred to as "Rick's daughter."  Hell, Rick himself said a few seasons she wasn't his kid and that he knew she wasn't his kid all along.  

How old was she when the whole bridge debacle that led to Rick's disappearance?  Anyone remember?  I seem to think she was quite young and probably learned precious little from Rick anyway.  She's learned what she knows primarily from Michonne.  

I can't stand Alpha and her plate-faced daughter, which is no reflection on Samantha Mortonsen, who is an excellent actress, but just the character is so nonsensical and ridiculous.  I doubt if even Dame Judy Dench could make this character work with these writers at the helm.  

I loved seeing Carol and Ezekiel together again.  I always thought they were a good fit as a couple and they still bring the chemistry in their scenes.  

I hope they never get back to the cave and rescue the two women (is it Connie and Magna?)   I'm hoping the horde tramples over it and it completely caves in.  Throw a wreath of wild flowers on it and call it a day.  I find both of them about as compelling as drying paint.  

Too bad for Eugene that Nev and Max from Catfish aren't available to ferret out information on "Stephanie."  At this point, I'm almost hoping she's a suicide bomber and bombs the remaining cast off of the face of the earth.  

There's just really nobody left for me to root for in this shitstorm no matter how hard I try.  Thanks, AMC, Gimple, Kirkland, and various writers.  

I'm hoping when this show finally goes down the drain it's been circling for a few seasons, they bring back Darabont for an epic finale, free of budget constraints and him given full control.  Now that would be an episode worth watching, not just hate watching.  Sadly, I know this will never happen.  I'd love to see where this show would be now had Darabont been kept on board.  

ETA:  I just remembered there is one character to root for, "Dog"...but he's been MIA for a few episodes now.  Maybe even he was embarrassed by this dreck and took off to find a new home.  

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

they bring back Darabont for an epic finale, free of budget constraints and him given full control.  Now that would be an episode worth watching, not just hate watching.  Sadly, I know this will never happen.  I'd love to see where this show would be now had Darabont been kept on board.  

Amen to that, Darabont’s plan for season 2 was phenomenal, it’s exactly what I wanted to see, and still do if someone had the balls to finance it 🤬

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Amen to that, Darabont’s plan for season 2 was phenomenal, it’s exactly what I wanted to see, and still do if someone had the balls to finance it 🤬

Right?  I don't care how big a pain in the ass he might be to work with, the guy's a bloody genius.  I hope it kills the collective soul of AMC to have to include his name in every single opening credit of this show.  I vowed to watch this show to the bloody end, and I will, but it gets a little more difficult with each passing episode.  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

And again, I still cannot remember their names beyond Connie and Magna. There's Connie's sister, and the chubby guy, and the Asian woman.

I was watching an older fanvid for this show the other night and thinking, "Wow. We used to know every character, and well enough so we cared when they died." Now, yeah - it's chubby guy with the violin, that woman with the tattoo, Asian woman, that  one who died,  and so on.

21 hours ago, rmontro said:

Last night they were making a big deal how brilliant it was that Negan's whisperer match had its mouth carved into a Joker smile (supposedly JD Morgan's idea)

Reason #1,869 why I never watch that "Oh, look at how clever and witty and talented we all are!" drivel. But at least we know for sure that JDM really is a perfect fit for this show, if he thinks that's a brilliant idea.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That's the whole problem with the show in a nutshell. They're so busy patting themselves on the back for set pieces and special effects and camera angles they aren't paying any attention to the actual story or what's wrong with it.

This was exactly my thought as I was watching Talking Dead.  They just go on the show to talk about how brilliant they are or what new thing they want to try.  The actors seem to have a lot of input on storylines now.  Hey Norman, what weapon do you want to use?  Let's talk about it for 20 minutes on TD.  Let's promote the cameraman to director and go on TD and talk about it.  It's all a big self-indulgent ego fest now.  No one seems to care what the viewers want to see.  We're irrelevant.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

They're so busy patting themselves on the back for set pieces and special effects and camera angles they aren't paying any attention to the actual story or what's wrong with it.

Their "special effects" and their CGI (except for Shiva) SUCK! Never forget the junk yard and the stumpy-legged and semi-transparent deer.  If they really wanted to make things that look real, what about CGI'ing in a few clouds of mosquitoes and blowflies that would surely be infesting the Whisperer's camps?

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

I doubt if even Dame Judy Dench could make this character work with these writers at the helm.

O, cruelty! I hate you for making me long for a casting choice that will never ever happen.

• Love 3
On 3/9/2020 at 5:46 PM, iMonrey said:

Judith doesn't bother me but I don't find her compelling either. I'm apparently expected to have some sort of attachment to her since she's the last remaining vestige of Rick but the character was still a baby the last time Rick was even on the show. To me she's just another new character I don't really give a damn about.  

Judith is a Walsh and therefore not a lasting visage of Rick. RJ is. And tonight we saw both wearing Rick’s hat. I believe that is so disrespectful towards RJ. Why does Judith get both Rick’s Colt and Sheriff’s hat and a mini Katana? RJ gets nothing of Rick’s? Fuck you show!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

How old was she when the whole bridge debacle that led to Rick's disappearance?  Anyone remember?  I seem to think she was quite young and probably learned precious little from Rick anyway.  She's learned what she knows primarily from Michonne.  

I think when Rick "died", Judith was that cute curly haired toddler they were using.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

I think when Rick "died", Judith was that cute curly haired toddler they were using.

Right. Cute as a button. I don't think she remembers him as now she refers to him as "the great man."

ETA: Toddler Judith reminds me: I wonder if Negan knows about his new girlfriend's penchant for throwing little babies to the walkers? As monstrous as he is, I doubt even he would condone that and might even find it shocking.

Edited by AngelaHunter

So at this point, Alpha is just trying to kill everyone to be a dick? This seems like a lot of risk, especially for people whos whole deal is hiding among the dead, just because Alpha has decided she has a hate on for these people. 

This episode was alright, but its just more of the same. People get ready for a big fight, lots of dramatic long shots, characters make dramatic chit chat, on and on. Oh, and Negan is there, and being useless and annoying as ever. I did love Darryl's reaction when he realized that Negan was involved. Just a "ugh, this asshole" eye roll. 

Glad we got to see Ezekiel, and it reminds me that I really liked him and Carol once upon a time. Now I just think that he could do better, and I wish that he didnt still apparently hold a candle for her, when she is so clearly over him beyond a quick trip to bone town before the next battle. 

I wonder if Eugene's long distance girlfriend and her people will end up saving the day at the last minute? I hope that she is for real, and he isnt being low tech catfished by our next group of bad guys or something. Of course, a new group of bad guys means that we could get rid of the Whispers (and Negan?!?) and I am all for that! 

• Love 5