Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E15: Vested Interests

Katy M
  • Start Topic

Jamie is under investigation after his police vest is found on a perpetrator; Frank debates whether to help an old friend whose home was invaded; Danny and Baez investigate the suspicious circumstances surrounding the death of a hotel employee.

I guess I missed it because I didn't really understand what was going on with Frank's friend.  Who was that guy who was just allowed to come into his apartment and threaten him and it was illegal for police to interfere?

Of course Erin's boss is crooked.  Why wouldn't he be?  Eye roll.

Danny's case was kind of interesting.  I don't really know that we got any clues that the doorman was the killer, though.  Nice parents to dump their 16 year old in a hotel for a month or more.  Wonder if they care when they find out she's dead.  I'm not surprised that she made friends with all the staff.  She was probably starved for affection.

Then, I kind of don't get the point with what happened with Jamie.  He said he's unhappy where he is because he doesn't like being responsible for everyone under him.  OK.  That's valid.  Supervisorship is not for everyone.  But, Grandpa's answer to that is that someday he should become PC?  What????  Maybe they need to look into homes for him.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I guess I missed it because I didn't really understand what was going on with Frank's friend.  Who was that guy who was just allowed to come into his apartment and threaten him and it was illegal for police to interfere?

Of course Erin's boss is crooked.  Why wouldn't he be?  Eye roll.

Danny's case was kind of interesting.  I don't really know that we got any clues that the doorman was the killer, though.  Nice parents to dump their 16 year old in a hotel for a month or more.  Wonder if they care when they find out she's dead.  I'm not surprised that she made friends with all the staff.  She was probably starved for affection.

Then, I kind of don't get the point with what happened with Jamie.  He said he's unhappy where he is because he doesn't like being responsible for everyone under him.  OK.  That's valid.  Supervisorship is not for everyone.  But, Grandpa's answer to that is that someday he should become PC?  What????  Maybe they need to look into homes for him.

He doesn’t like being in charge?  I think he loves it.... as long as there aren’t problems. He’s the first one to bust out the handbook and tell people they need to go by the rules and he’s the first one to break the rules when HE decides that HE knows better than the rules. I actually think Jamie is getting more like earlier seasons Danny and Danny is becoming more like earlier season Jamie. 

Feank a juvenile delinquent? Can’t believe Henry missed that, I ‘m sure if he did he would have kicked his ass. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, iwasish said:

He doesn’t like being in charge?  I think he loves it.... as long as there aren’t problems. He’s the first one to bust out the handbook and tell people they need to go by the rules and he’s the first one to break the rules when HE decides that HE knows better than the rules. I actually think Jamie is getting more like earlier seasons Danny and Danny is becoming more like earlier season Jamie. 

Feank a juvenile delinquent? Can’t believe Henry missed that, I ‘m sure if he did he would have kicked his ass. 

Jamie used to be my favorite character but not anymore. Somewhere along the way he changed and not for the better.

37 minutes ago, iwasish said:

He doesn’t like being in charge?  I think he loves it..

I'm just going by the conversation.  It was nonsensical in my eyes.  And, yes, I was very irritated by Jamie getting involved in an investigation that he knew he was not allowed to be a part of.   I can understand him being upset thinking that he was responsible for being shot.  That's part of what I like about him.  The fact that he cares and wants to do things the right way.  But, then he ruined that by starting to investigate. It isn't like nobody was doing anything.  

• Love 1

Who was that guy who was just allowed to come into his apartment and threaten him and it was illegal for police to interfere?

That guy had robbed and beaten Ed Asner.  It's some stupid new law in NY where the accused can return to the scene of the crime to "build their defense."  In theory that might be ok, but not when the crime took place at a private residence.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

This entire episode was totally confusing.

Why was Jamie at fault because someone stole his vest?

The Ed Asner caper I just didn't understand.

The cloak & dagger stuff with Erin and the bad guy (WTF).

The hotel murder was dumb since the actual killer wasn't part of the plot until the end.

The girl getting killed on the street, also dumb.

Frank admitting he was a J.D. is not in his DNA.

Will we ever see the next steps in Erin's big secretive investigation?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, preeya said:

He wasn't once they proved that it was stolen.  They had to prove that he didn't just give it to somebody and claim it was stolen.

4 minutes ago, preeya said:

I don't think admitting it isn't in his DNA. I just don't find the story very believable. LIke someone else said, Henry would have nipped it in the bud.

• Love 1

While I am glad that two of TV’s GOATs got to do scenes together, I was very confused as to what actually happened. Mr K got assaulted in his home, is scared to leave, and then...the guy shows up to what, build his case or to spook him again except the family was there to spook him instead?

A good chunk of the episodes left me bored. This one left me more lost. Lots of dangling pieces that didn’t resolve anything and no expectation that it will be. 

Toby reminded me of my dearly departed Nikki. A white/beige bundle of fluff. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

While I am glad that two of TV’s GOATs got to do scenes together, I was very confused as to what actually happened. Mr K got assaulted in his home, is scared to leave, and then...the guy shows up to what, build his case or to spook him again except the family was there to spook him instead?

I don't get it either.  The guy came in and then Mr. K started talking about inspections, and the "bad guy" started talking about how the police weren't allowed to be there, and then the Reagans said they were just there as friends, and that's when I decided I was confused.  When is it ever illegal for the police to be in someone's private residence as long as the person living there has authorized it?  Since when do old people (or anybody) have to let people they are afraid of into their home?  I mean, the guy knocked on the door and Mr. K just let him in.  Yeah, he knew the Reagans were there, but the guy didn't expect anything else, so he obviously had some sort of right to be there. I'm so confused.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, preeya said:

This entire episode was totally confusing.

The Ed Asner caper I just didn't understand.

The cloak & dagger stuff with Erin and the bad guy (WTF).

The hotel murder was dumb since the actual killer wasn't part of the plot until the end.

The girl getting killed on the street, also dumb.

Will we ever see the next steps in Erin's big secretive investigation?

And what happened to her little dog. I heard it whimpering when Danny and Baez were checking the girl’s vitals, but no sign of it.

• Love 1

I can't think of a single thing I liked about this episode.  That said, I'm not surprised a decision on the show's renewal hasn't been made yet.

I used to look forward to watching the show but not  anymore. How sad! 😟

• Love 2

Really? A 16 year old living by herself in a hotel with her mother on the West Coast and the detectives shrug it off like it happens all the time. To let her continue to live in a hotel by herself where a murder occurred, and she is a potential witness borders on criminal. Did they even attempt to call the parents to make other arrangements? Child Protective Services?  The most ridiculous thing about that part of the story was there was no reason in the plot for her to be so young. Just make her 18 and living in NY to attend college so it doesn't sound so stupid.

If you are going to potentially go to jail for a long time for tampering with evidence and otherwise obstructing justice, you have to give the manager a better motive than "it might ruin my career." Just drop in a couple of lines where the doorman is revealed to be a relative/war buddy/blackmailer so it makes more sense please.

Jeez the writers on this show…

• Love 2

I think one can leave home at 16 in NY, so I can see the police not making a big deal of her age, especially when she's put up in a nice hotel by a parent. (I don't know all the laws, but 16 is "adult enough" in many situations.)

What I liked about this episode were the humorous shades of Magnum that surfaced in his dealings with Lou Grant Ed Asner and the dinnertime discussion about Frank's "shady" (but really not-so-shady) past. There was a little delinquency in lots of  us  "good" kids who never got caught and grew out of the phase. 

I was turned off by Jamie's being a bit outraged that he might initially be a suspect. Even civilians realize that they're suspects until they're not. I didn't like his story line one bit. Erin's story is better and will add a little cloak-and-dagger to future episodes. Danny's story was okay. Perhaps if they'd not given Jamie a story this time around, they could've put more detail into Danny's story.

OK, I did NOT want to watch the episode again, but I did want to figure out what happened.  So, I pulled up the transcript online and read the Frank scenes.  So, Mr. K was assaulted and robbed by Ryan Heide.  Ryan Heide was then arrested and charged.  Apparently, there is a law in place (whether real or just for the show, I haven't a clue) that states that someone accused of a crime has the right to inspect the scene of the crime in order to be able to prepare a defense.  This is how they knew he was coming back, exactly when he was coming, and why Mr. K had to open the door to let him in.  

Now, I know that when there are domestic disputes and someone needs to return to a shared domicile to retrieve property that the police will come and oversee the process if there's fear of violence. So, I don't know why that just wasn't done here.  OK, I guess technically it was, but kind of off the books.  

I mean, really, what kind of law would require that anyone, much less a senior citizen in a wheel chair, open the door to someone who had already physically harmed them, and require that it be done without police presence?

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Katy M said:

OK, I did NOT want to watch the episode again, but I did want to figure out what happened.  So, I pulled up the transcript online and read the Frank scenes.  So, Mr. K was assaulted and robbed by Ryan Heide.  Ryan Heide was then arrested and charged.  Apparently, there is a law in place (whether real or just for the show, I haven't a clue) that states that someone accused of a crime has the right to inspect the scene of the crime in order to be able to prepare a defense.  This is how they knew he was coming back, exactly when he was coming, and why Mr. K had to open the door to let him in.  

Now, I know that when there are domestic disputes and someone needs to return to a shared domicile to retrieve property that the police will come and oversee the process if there's fear of violence. So, I don't know why that just wasn't done here.  OK, I guess technically it was, but kind of off the books.  

I mean, really, what kind of law would require that anyone, much less a senior citizen in a wheel chair, open the door to someone who had already physically harmed them, and require that it be done without police presence?

It’s always funny to me that all these people who had such an influence on Frank, or were his old partners or worked with him, just appear out of the blue, not having heard from him in years. Lennie pops up every few seasons but it doesn’t seem they keep in touch in between. Does Frank have any buddies, or is helping Henry with the crossword and having a few drinks every evening all he does? And damn they love their Finnerty ( is that a real booze?)even Erin and Nicky partake. 

24 minutes ago, Katy M said:

mean, really, what kind of law would require that anyone, much less a senior citizen in a wheel chair, open the door to someone who had already physically harmed them, and require that it be done without police presence?

A NYC one...we’ve passed lots of stupid, idiotic laws of late 🙄

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

Apparently, there is a law in place (whether real or just for the show, I haven't a clue) that states that someone accused of a crime has the right to inspect the scene of the crime in order to be able to prepare a defense. 

Not only that , but the accused can show up without a lawyer or anyone else to do the inspection. Is he defending himself ?

A lot of things on this show don't make any sense but this has to top the list.

• Love 2
On 3/9/2020 at 7:55 AM, Orillia said:

Not only that , but the accused can show up without a lawyer or anyone else to do the inspection. Is he defending himself ?

I think he may have been representing himself and that gave him the right to access Ed’s property. Regardless, I  would think the law would allow Ed the right to have a third party there or notice so he could vacate during the “inspection”  (Ed said he had agoraphobia and couldn’t leave his house)

• Useful 1

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one mystified by the Ed Asner plot. Very poor writing if so many had to rewind to figure it out and if so many of us still have to guess at the background details, such as that the defendant has to be representing himself and the victim has agoraphobia for it to pose a problem as it did here. Anyway how would they have a trial if Ed Asner couldn’t go to court to testify?  That was never explained, was it?  

We have the new law in NYS which requires that witness info be given out early in the game, which was the subject of an earlier episode. I don’t think this is part of that new rule.  This may have always been the rule as a matter of constitutional fairness, but usually not a problem unless in circumstances like these. 

Of course there’s our new get out of jail free bail law, which @Sake614 was no doubt referencing. But this is a statewide change, not NYC. 

Maybe crime will drop again due to coronavirus. The subways were deserted yesterday. 

https://www.courtinnovation.org/sites/default/files/media/document/2019/Discovery-NYS_Full.pdf

heres a link to a discussion of the new discovery law.  Last page says victim is allowed to ask for police presence at the inspection. Further research indicates that NY courts have allowed this for years but always  with a similar balancing of rights. I think the show misrepresented the issue.

Edited by GussieK
ETA link.
On 3/9/2020 at 7:55 AM, Orillia said:

No.  See the link I posted above.