Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Ding Dong

• Start Topic

Yay! They did it!

I can't believe they really killed Wunch. I will miss her and Holt going at it, but at least we got a bunch of last zingers from Holt and Rosa.

Charles punching Terry in the nards gave me the laugh I needed this week.

• Love 15

I bet that guy was scripted by Wunch to make Holt mad.

Holt's funeral speech was surprisingly emotional, but I suppose it was what the occasion asked for. At least he got closure.

Did anyone think that Boyle saying the “you don’t have kids” line may have hurt Jake’s feelings? I am happy Jake & Amy got what they wanted in the end.

• Love 4

35 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Did anyone think that Boyle saying the “you don’t have kids” line may have hurt Jake’s feelings?

Yeah, that seemed uncharacteristic of Charles. Right from the start I wondered why one adult wouldn’t take all three kids to the movie. I’m a little disappointed we didn’t see Jake with all three kids.

I’m so happy Jake and Amy are having a baby! Andy Samberg’s reaction was perfect. And I loved that Charles immediately sensed it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

This was a GREAT episode.  Way better than "Debbie"  (scoffs).

What was the thing about Boyle waking up in the end?  (Thanks @Jeddah.  The show made it seem like it was a dream of Boyle's!)

What the HELL did Holt say at the funeral after he took that call?  Was it something about a dog eating toothpaste?  For goodness sakes I rewound the part like 6 times.  No idea!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

Much like Holt, I am weirdly going to miss Wunch. Her mere existence created some of the pettiest of petty Holt, which is always a joy to witness. "I also know that she goes to Mexico once a year to suck the blood out of all the goats."  

Just a great Holt and Rosa episode, which Amy was a hilarious foil for. "I love this look on you." "Now it just seems like I am making fun of a helpful dead woman." "Thats literally what you've been doing all week." 

I thought that Charles telling Jake that he didnt understand why he and Terry were fighting because he didnt have kids was rather insensitive, but I guess it was actually foreshadowing! Jake and Amy are going to have a baby!!! I am so happy!!

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What the HELL did Holt say at the funeral after he took that call?  Was it something about a dog eating toothpaste?  For goodness sakes I rewound the part like 6 times.  No idea!

I believe it was a notification that Holt's dog Cheddar's toothpaste had shipped.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

While I thought the episode was hilarious, I'm really disappointed that they killed off Wunch.  The episodes with her and Holt going at each other were always brilliant.  I mean, if they were going to kill of a reoccurring character, why couldn't it have been Doug Judy?

• Love 6

I was disappointed. The whole show seemed mean-spirited. It would have made me feel a little better if Charles and Terry had planned to get Jake to take the kids. 

I did laugh at Jake telling Charles to consider whether he might not be as strong as Nana Boyle. 

• Love 5

Sniff!  I guess even hoofed witches are not immune to the strong grip of death!

I'll definitely miss Wuntch and the rivalry between her and Holt (glad they at least got Kyra Sedgwick back via video recordings), but I was dying throughout this entire episode.  I just love how immature, petty, and vindictive Holt becomes whenever Wuntch is involved.  His insults are so silly, but so perfect.  And it certainly helps that Andre Braugher goes all in like he always does with it.  Add in Rosa and her delight over his pettiness, while Amy plays the straight person out of the three, and I have no complaints!

That said, I did like how it ended with Holt giving her a heartfelt eulogy at the end.  While I don't think there was ever any kind of friendliness between them, I do think both of them respected one another in their own twisted ways, and I definitely believe that Holt will miss her on some levels: especially the way she drove him to be better.  In fact, I can buy that their feud probably helped him open up more with the rest of his squad in those earlier episodes, so she really did play a significant part in his life.  Fare thee well, Madeline Wuntch!  May you find the afterlife you deserve.  Which, obviously, is you guarding the gates of Hades, you fork-tongued devil witch!

As for the other plot, I figured it was going to end with Jake just taking the kids, but I still enjoyed watching Terry and Boyle try to one-up one another, and escalating things to the point that Jake had to scold them like children.  It's always a delight whenever Jake somehow becomes the mature, "normal" person in a scenario, even though he still manages to be his more Jake-like self.

Looks like it is official: Amy is pregnant!  And apparently Boyle can somehow sense it....

• Love 17

Wow, they actually killed off Madeline Wunch. Though I'm actually a bit sad that her rivalry with Holt is done, I appreciate what it did bring to Holt as a character. The idea that Wunch knew when she'd die and be able to record a couple of videos was pretty funny, and I love that Holt had some backups planned out in case she had a last trick up her sleeve (which she did, with Adam). 

Plus, the eulogy at the end was brilliantly written. Holt being sad that their rivalry was over was a great way to showcase how he actually liked Wunch, in a way. She challenged him in ways that nobody else did. I like how Amy and Rosa were there to support him.

The Terry/Boyle stuff with Jake was...a bit of a hit or miss, just because Terry and Boyle were being quite mean at times. But I actually liked how it revolved around the kids without them needing to really be there, and I like how Jake got fed up and announced that the kids would be going with him instead.

Amy's pregnant! Yay! I'm actually glad! The look on Jake's face when he found out was well acted by Andy. 

• Love 6

I kept expecting Wunch to turn up alive at the end. I'm surprised they killed her off, but I suspect it was the easiest shortcut to restoring Holt as Captain. 

Right from the start I wondered why one adult wouldn’t take all three kids to the movie. 

Exactly. I figured it out from the start so I found the entire process frustrating and pointless.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but why oh why doesn't Andre Braugher have an Emmy for this role?

• Love 11

Well, that cold open was a surprise. Wuntch is dead? And not a Korean toilet ghost?

Holt saying that if she was dead, they'd be "hearing the sound of children singing in the streets" was pretty dark. I love that the show has him go full on with irrational hatred of Wuntch. "Wanna see the selfies I took?" Jeez, Holt.

The idea of Holt being upset that his great rivalry may not have been so great after all worked really well. As Wuntch knew it would. But then there was the twist of Holt being one step ahead of her. And the somewhat predictable moment when he realises he actually will miss her.

And holy shit, a Durrells reference?

Hilarious how quickly Jake's offer to take someone to the movie premier became "whose kids do you like more? Tell us now!" It was a classic C-plot - just some silly antics and character interactions to fill up time and tell some jokes. I did like Jake being the straight man, and just reacting to Terry and Boyle.

"We're gonna duke it out in the ring."

".... What?"

The boxing match was ridiculous, in the best way. But I really don't think Charles would have been able to throw that second Strawberry Basket.

The episode was packed with jokes. Some quick cut punchlines, some call backs (balloon arches, anyone?) some good physical comedy. This is one that will need a few watches, to pick everything up.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

Did the show forget about Ava, Terry’s other daughter? 

I was wondering the same thing. Although I don't remember when she was born or how old she is supposed to be at this point. Might be too young to attend a movie premiere?

• Love 6
14 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

... I was dying throughout this entire episode.  I just love how immature, petty, and vindictive Holt becomes whenever Wuntch is involved.  His insults are so silly, but so perfect.  And it certainly helps that Andre Braugher goes all in like he always does with it.  Add in Rosa and her delight over his pettiness, while Amy plays the straight person out of the three, and I have no complaints!

ITA. I loved all of Holt's OTT insults about Wuntch. They've always cracked me up. And, like you said, Rosa guffawing at several of them, and adding her own, was wonderful. Amy rounded out the trio nicely.

Holt: As Wunch says when she sees deodorant, "I'm not buying it."

Amy: She was so young!
Holt: For a redwood tree.

Holt: And I read him my all-caps speech. 
Adam: And I loved it. It was like poetry.
[cut to earlier] Holt: Madelyn smelled like dog crap.

Loved all the changes Amy was going thru on her hormones -- Sadly emotional, angry, sweaty. The giant pit-stains on the blazer leading to giant sponges under the arms was a great visual. And then the choir robe. I also loved Rosa referring to her as Angry Amy or Sweaty Amy.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but why oh why doesn't Andre Braugher have an Emmy for this role?

I'm beating that horse right along with you.

He was fantastic when Amy explained what the hormones were doing to her. "Well I know just the thing to cheer you up! Wunch is dead! Bagel! Bagel! Bagel!" I loved his delivery.

Are Korean toilet ghosts a real thing? I mean, not REAL real, but y'know.

"Strawberry basket!"

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The idea of Holt being upset that his great rivalry may not have been so great after all worked really well. As Wuntch knew it would. But then there was the twist of Holt being one step ahead of her.

While watching I was disappointed that they didn't seem to suspect this was another Wunch set up and then BAM! Holt busts out with the improve group funeral guests and I was cheering at my TV. Great moment. Great Holt ep. Great Holt and Rosa ep. The Jake/Charles/Terry storyline wasn't as strong but I didn't mind it because Holt/Rosa/Amy was some top level comedy for me. 

• Love 7

23 hours ago, Mystery said:

It would have made me feel a little better if Charles and Terry had planned to get Jake to take the kids. 

That's where I thought the episode was going and I was disappointed I was wrong. It would have been a great twist. 

• Love 7

I know this is going to be an unpopular opnion, but I'm getting weary of Rosa. She's the perfect foil for Holt, she's the trusted friend of Amy, she's the one who got through to Debbie last week. I can't remember she made a mistake or didn't ultimately have the answer. She's so "tough" and "cool" that she's stopped being a real character to me. 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, bethy said:

I know this is going to be an unpopular opnion, but I'm getting weary of Rosa. She's the perfect foil for Holt, she's the trusted friend of Amy, she's the one who got through to Debbie last week. I can't remember she made a mistake or didn't ultimately have the answer. She's so "tough" and "cool" that she's stopped being a real character to me. 

It is funny, since there are a lot of new TV series where I heard they wanted her for the lead character. She wouldn't be out of a job long.

Edited by AnimeMania
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

It is funny, since there are a lot of new TV series where I heard they wanted her for the lead character. She wouldn't be out of a job long.

I'm not sure how this is connected to what I said. I didn't say I wanted her fired or that she should be out of a job. The character just isn't resonating for me any more.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, bethy said:

I'm not sure how this is connected to what I said. I didn't say I wanted her fired or that she should be out of a job. The character just isn't resonating for me any more.

I can see this; I guess that with so many characters, it'll take them a while to get around to Rosa again. I remember how thrilled she looked in that video when the cast was told that they'd been renewed again, so I assume she's okay with being part of a big cast. Personally I like her rapport with Jake the best, so I hope that'll happen again. 

7 hours ago, bethy said:

I have felt this way since the beginning. It doesn’t help that she’s almost always scowling. When she’s not smirking.

• Love 2
On 3/12/2020 at 10:08 PM, Jeddah said:

Yeah, that seemed uncharacteristic of Charles. Right from the start I wondered why one adult wouldn’t take all three kids to the movie. I’m a little disappointed we didn’t see Jake with all three kids.

Yeah, it didn't make sense, because if Jake had chosen Boyle and Nikolaj, he would have had an extra ticket, so why not just take the 3 kids.

I was surprised that Terry didn't mention how he had made Jake his youngest daughter's godfather. Jake isn't Nikolaj's godfather, is he? This would have been a good time for Charles to ask Jake.

53 minutes ago, Sam Spayaid said:

Amy is knocked up?

There goes the show. Shark jumpin' time.

I am sure the show will go the route of Parks & Recreation where the kid is barely acknowledged or mentioned so it doesn't interfere with the flow of the show, unless they can use it for some funny scenarios like Amy and Jake being so tired from parenthood that they are not able to chase down the bad guys or something like that.

• Love 10

As long as they don't keep coming up with stupid reasons that the baby has to be at the precinct I think they'll be okay. If they have too many "OMG Look, mean Rosa is babysitting" or "oh look, Holt has to play daddy for the day for some ridiculous reason", then the shark will be circling. They just have to keep reminding themselves this is a workplace comedy and that less baby is more. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

As long as they don't keep coming up with stupid reasons that the baby has to be at the precinct I think they'll be okay. If they have too many "OMG Look, mean Rosa is babysitting" or "oh look, Holt has to play daddy for the day for some ridiculous reason", then the shark will be circling. They just have to keep reminding themselves this is a workplace comedy and that less baby is more. 

I agree. If they treat like any other character's kid, we'll be fine. I'm okay with the kid showing up every once and while, but I don't want the focus of the show to turn into a family drama. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

They just have to keep reminding themselves this is a workplace comedy and that less baby is more. 

Even though, let's admit it, they do very little actual "work" but that I can deal with because it is after all a sitcom but I have seen way too many funny, smart comedies turn into inane, stupidity that starts to feature baby far too much. I guess it would just be far too radical to have a happily married couple who DIDN'T want kids and were perfectly fine without them. 

People's heads would surely explode.

• Love 9

I've never seen Stephanie Beatriz in anything else, other than interviews. Considering that her real voice is several octaves higher than the one she uses for Rosa, I wonder what kind of roles she'd play. 

• Love 1

Don't know about anyone else but one thing I can't stand is a Korean toilet ghost.

Strawberry basket!

Star-crossed haters. It'll be funny if Wuntch left something to Holt in her will that turns out to be valuable now.

Jake and Amy are expecting said baby!

I think this was the first time I watched a B99 episode twice in a row. So many great zingers.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
2 hours ago, Sam Spayaid said:

Even though, let's admit it, they do very little actual "work" but that I can deal with because it is after all a sitcom.

You are totally correct. In most workplace based sitcoms, the characters don't really do that much work. 

36 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

So it would seem Jake was the only adult in this entire episode.

What a change of pace from season 1 Terry did not lie in that episode where he said Jake finally grew up.

• Love 1

I understand the nervousness about adding a baby, but this show actually had the TV cliche of a woman going into labor and having a baby on the floor of the office (Terry's wife), and that episode managed to actually be good. So I think there's hope.

• Love 10

I like to think Holt has learned how to be devious from the heists. He really committed if he got improv groups which I'm sure he just hates, lol.

I lost it at the Korean toilet ghost which he actually went there to research. I mean, that's brilliant.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I don't think they will. The show has judged most plot developments really well, from Charles getting over his crush on Rosa to Terry's kids to Jake and Amy's relationship. They never seem to make the wrong choice or overegg the pudding. We've seen Terry's kids on occasion, as well as Nikolaj (I'm sure I'm saying that right) and they've usually been used really well. This episode was a good example of that - the kids appear to guilt Jake, but the storyline is about their overbearing dads trying to beat each other.

Having said that, there will have to be some kind of focus on Jake and Amy adjusting to being working police officers with a baby. If they can dismiss it as 'our parents are being really great and doing some heavy lifting' then I'm fine with it.

But ultimately, I think the show is circling for a landing now anyway, and I wouldn't be surprised if season eight is the final one. Maybe another season after that, but I doubt they're planning for several more years, and a kid Peraltiago running around the place.

• Love 10