Type keyword(s) to search

Tournament Of Champions - General Discussion

Message added by JTMacc99,

Spoiler Policy: Any information about an episode posted before it happens on the East Coast Food Network broadcast should be put under spoiler tags. 

• Start Topic

Maybe they were getting a bunch of bad comments re Britt and she didn't belong on ToC? So they decided to show that she has done well on other competition shows and deserves her chance on ToC?? Just a thought... 

7 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Maybe they were getting a bunch of bad comments re Britt and she didn't belong on ToC? So they decided to show that she has done well on other competition shows and deserves her chance on ToC?? Just a thought... 

Or maybe …. they are that impressed with her that they want everyone to see and know her … time will tell.  

• Like 3

Shirley’s prowess has always been an admirable quality and I love her focus.  This season she seems to be getting the stubborn cutthroaty edit.  That first round I recall the GGG lady was throwing eye daggers at her at the end….ok I get it…different level of chef competing so Shirley can be confident and display the “yeah I’m gonna trounce you because you aren’t at my level” vibe…you know, in a good way.

But last episode she seemed defensive and lacking humility.  I felt something yuck about it.  Seemed unlike her….such editing monkeys but editing can’t make you say things you didn’t say.  She’s such an amazing chef.  I guess we are witnessing the true hyper competitive spirit of some of these chefs.  

it oozes ego and posturing but maybe that’s what it takes to survive at the highest level in kitchens?  The guy wasn’t much better.  I will say regardless it’s fun to watch chefs come out and put their reputations on the line in a blind tasting.

I would make Indian or Thai food for 2 rounds.  Make the judges think I’m either Maneet or Jet lol.  I think that’s how aarthi sampath got by last season.

• Like 1

Spoilers about tonight.

Spoiler

Winners: Mei, Karen, Shota, Maneet

Judges: Michelle, Jonathan, Rocco

Mei scored 92.

Tobias was confident about his flavors, but Karen won by two.  He sounded a bit chesty, but when Karen won, he hugged her, and they joked about another rematch next year.  They seemed very friendly, and he didn't seem upset at her.

I think Joe lost to Shota because his meat was salty.  It was part of a noodle dish, but the meat was one of the proteins (hanger steak, I believe).  He tasted it and knew it was salty, so he only put one spoonful in each bowl.  Michelle commented that the dish was more noodle than steak.

I think Stephanie lost to Maneet because of her au jus.  Their style was lunch.  Maneet won by two and it was due to presentation. Stephanie made a sandwich. Justin told the judges to pour the au jus on the sandwich.  It did make it wet, and you could see the jus pool under the sandwich.  Had she made the sandwich dippable, I think she might have won.  Based on the judges' comments, I thought she had beaten Maneet.

Four men: Jet, Shota, Jose, Adam  Four women: Maneet, Mei, Karen, Britt

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, DEL901 said:
  Reveal spoiler

I would to see the finale be between the two #8 seeds. 

Spoiler

Jet vs. Shota or Jet vs. Mei.  I'd be happy if any of the three of them won. Jet's like the elder of the group, and Mei and Shota have incredible skills.

• Like 2
Spoiler

So many of my favorites went down in the past 2 episodes!  So I will be happy for Maneet and Shota making it through to the semi-finals!

Michelle Bernstein is a weird judge for this type of show. The food you think she would like, she absolutely doesn't and eating sandwiches with a knife and fork is ... very weird to me.

• Like 3

I’d love to see a Jet v Shota finale with Jet winning it all.

I adore Shota.

I really, really like Joe Sasto too.  He seems like a great guy.

I get such a kick out of Guy and Justin Warner’s banter — their friendship is fun.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:
  Reveal spoiler

So many of my favorites went down in the past 2 episodes!  So I will be happy for Maneet and Shota making it through to the semi-finals!

Michelle Bernstein is a weird judge for this type of show. The food you think she would like, she absolutely doesn't and eating sandwiches with a knife and fork is ... very weird to me.

I haven't paid attention through both of her episodes, but has she eaten all sandwiches with a knife and fork?  I thought she ate Stephanie's with a knife and fork because it was wet from the au jus.

• Like 1

I didn't realize how much I wanted Stephanie to win until we got to the judging and I was feeling anxious for her.  And then she lost, alas - on plating alone!  Everything else was tied between her and Maneet.  I do like Maneet, too, and I know she's a very impressive chef and would love to eat her food, so I'm not mad or anything.  I was just really pulling for Stephanie. 

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

I haven't paid attention through both of her episodes, but has she eaten all sandwiches with a knife and fork?  I thought she ate Stephanie's with a knife and fork because it was wet from the au jus.

She ate Shota's sandwich the same way.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Before Stephanie and Maneet, Michelle definitely ate one of the other sandwiches with a fork because I noticed it and thought it was odd.  

Karen’s personality is another one I really like.  I know it’s not a personality contest, but I can’t help but be drawn to some over others based on who I’d like to hang out with.

Having said that, I would have been just fine with either Tobias or Karen winning theirs.

• Like 2

Taking a wade through the shallow end to say that, knife-and-fork-sandwich-eating aside, Michelle looked very good tonight.

I agree that the judge's comments seemed to favor Stephanie, but it ultimately wasn't too surprising that Maneet's win came on presentation. Rocco really seemed to dig Stephanie's sandwich, but I myself don't really enjoy getting my hands all wet when I eat a sandwich. Maneet's had the classic soup and sandwich look, which I dig.

Overall though, that was a bummer to have to lose either Stephanie or Maneet at this juncture.

I thought Stephanie had it over Maneet. Maneet's sandwich didn't look easy to eat and had a bit too much bread. Not enough fish in the soup. Steph ran out of time and couldn't clean her plates.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I still don’t get why Maneet, a former winner is the #2 seed in her bracket.  

Maneet got knocked out early last year. Last year's semi-finalists were this year's #1 seeds.

I probably would have dipped Stephanie's sandwich into the au jus instead of pouring it over the sandwich.

Edited by Stardancer Supreme

Maneet’’s sandwich presentation looked so unique and so good and that lamb meatball sounded delicious.  When Stephanie’s sandwich required pouring a thin gravy over the top, you just knew it would lose points on presentation — that makes a sandwich soggy and not enjoyable to try and eat, no matter how tasty the flavors are.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 1

It wasn't a gravy, it was a jus.  

I was confused with Maneet''s sandwich.  It looked like it had one meatball on top of a very thick slice of bread that was standing on end.  But I saw Rocco holding it in the background and it looked like it was hollowed out with more stuff in it.  

I haven't watched yet, but I'm bummed to read about Stephanie.  This is me:

1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

I do like Maneet, too, and I know she's a very impressive chef and would love to eat her food, so I'm not mad or anything.  I was just really pulling for Stephanie. 

I am, however, very glad to read Shota sent Mustache Joe packing.

• Like 4

I just caught up with the previous episode.  I loved it when Adam Sobol called Jonathan Waxman "Chef Obi-Wan".  That was a nickname he got from his fellow chefs when he did "Top Chef Masters" years ago and I've called him that ever since.  I guess Guy never picked up on that.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

There won't be a Jet/Shota final as they are both West bracket.  

Mei and Shota go against each other next while Jet goes against Adam.  

There are 3 men and 1 woman in the West and 3 women and 1 man in the East so the odds favor a Male/Female finale but who knows.  

I thought that Mei's shrimp egg roll looked amazing, but I absolutely HATE when people put a salad on top of the rest of the stuff. And then she poured dressing on top of it. Admit it, would you do that in your house for a weeknight dinner? NO, you'd have a separate plate. At least in my house.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

When Stephanie’s sandwich required pouring a thin gravy over the top, you just knew it would lose points on presentation — that makes a sandwich soggy and not enjoyable to try and eat, no matter how tasty the flavors are

I agree. Who pours a jus over a sandwich? And while Michelle said she "was not offended" by how rare Stephanie's lamb was, I was offended. Well, not really, but I wouldn't like it that way.

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, Maverick said:

There won't be a Jet/Shota final as they are both West bracket. 

I'm very glad of that because they're my two favorites and I don't think I could take the anxiety level watching them compete would cause. I already hate that only one of them can make it to the top.

I've always liked Tiffany so I was hoping she'd beat Mei Lin.  I don't think there's any doubt that Mei is a great cook but she was so surly and foul-mouthed on Top Chef that I just don't like her.

I didn't like Karen when she was on Top Chef either although she's been fine this time around.  I was hoping Tobias would win that round.

I like Joe Sasto a lot but I loooove Shota so I was happy that he won and also sorry to see Joe go.

The last round surprised me.  I thought Stephanie had a good chance of beating Maneet.  They're both really good.  I thought Stephanie doomed herself when she combined feta cheese, a strong flavor, with crab, a mild one and one she needed to emphasize.  None of the judges said anything but I wonder if that didn't figure into their decisions.  Maneet's presentation was a lot better.

Rocco looked great!  He looked overweight and bloated after his back and health problems so I was glad to see him looking fit and handsome again.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I thought it was a typo, I thought it should've been to-go takeout!

I still haven't watched yesterday's episode, but in the previous one, those who said it kept saying "to-go takeout".  Which is redundant, so I assume writing "go-to" on the randomizer was intentional, not a typo (plus, if it was an error, surely one of the dozens of people who saw it before the first taping would have noticed it), and figure they intend it - as suggest above - as a take-out staple; the thing you'll order from any restaurant as you figure it will be good anyplace and it travels well, order frequently, etc.  But it was notable the contestants transposed it in their heads and said it the other way.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mlp said:

Rocco looked great!  He looked overweight and bloated after his back and health problems so I was glad to see him looking fit and handsome again.

That is the best Rocco has looked in a long while!  

I didn't care for Mei on Top Chef so she will never be one I root for here, even though she's obviously talented.  Personality-wise, she did nothing on TOC to change my opinion.

• Like 5
On 3/26/2023 at 7:20 PM, Grizzly said:

I thought Stephanie had it over Maneet. Maneet's sandwich didn't look easy to eat and had a bit too much bread. Not enough fish in the soup. Steph ran out of time and couldn't clean her plates.

What Maneet made, bunny chow, is a South African dish that isn't intended to be eaten as a sandwich.  It typically has a gravy that soaks into the bread and makes it soggy, so that isn't something you'd want to pick up.  But Maneet's adaptation looked like it was quite a bit drier, but as you said, leaves you with a whole loaf of bread to eat (it's usually a hollowed out loaf).

When Shota won, I hollered so loud that I woke my dog, who gave me a very dirty look!  But...yeah, Shota!!!

Edited by Rammchick
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

That was a great episode.  And with so many rounds it really did leave me wondering the winners.  Love the tension!

Glad I wasn’t the only person telling Michelle to pick up the damn sandos and eat them as constructed.  Items can be fatty, salty, crunchy or sloppy in a bite and be totally balanced and a fun experience.  Parse it with a fork and it’s just not the same IMO.

Such inventive shortcuts in this episode….using shrimp moisture to seal the wonton skin, putting boiled fish with kewpie mayo and ginger juice to make a spread….shota uses ginger juice/brine like I use pickle juice/brine.  Not sure why my little brain didn’t tell me to do with the ginger jar!!!  Hello??

are cheftestants allowed to bring a few personal item or shortcuts?  I’ve noticed a few spices and now shotas own teriyaki sauce.

This really has turned into Top Chefs on TOC LOL.

I'm watching this show for the first time this season while being familiar with many of the players from Top Chef, Iron Chef America, and Chopped, etc. I have to say that this franchise fits Food Network better than Iron Chef America ever did. It's the proper amount of seriousness to lightheartedness, everyone gets to be themselves. The chefs want to win and no one has to pretend that a kung fu actor is a secret billionaire, Bobby Flay is a culinary visionary, and Jeffrey Steingarten is worth listening to. Food Network never quite achieved the wacky faux grandeur that the original Iron Chef Japan did. The Netflix version of Iron Chef actually comes closer, in my opinion.

In contrast, Tournament of Champions scratches the competitive cooking itch really well in a way that suits all of the talents involved. Guy keeps it casual but also knows what he's doing. The chefs are top caliber, busting their behinds, and care whether they win or lose without too often getting butthurt over losing. The blind judging with each chef having an observer present their dishes is so smart and refreshing. The judges are a parade of all stars and are tough but enthusiastic when warranted. The roster of champions is impressive and deep and means that no one has to carry the franchise. 

All in all, enjoying this quite a lot.

• Like 14
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Maneet's adaptation looked like it was quite a bit drier, but as you said, leaves you with a whole loaf of bread to eat (it's usually a hollowed out loaf)

She did hollow it out. It was a thick piece of bread with a rectangular "ditch" cut out.

• Like 2

To my fellow TOC spoiler friends, I didn't forget you, but I have nothing to report.

I get my Discovery+ access through Amazon.  Every Sunday morning, the new episode is usually there, ready for me to watch and report.  Today, no new episode.

I've also noticed that HGTV's Rock the Block doesn't load early either.  However, SBC usually loads early.  I'll see what happens with that tomorrow.

So, I guess we all have to wait for tonight...and watch commercials.  Sigh...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Ellee said:

Lol … am I the only one still checking to see if there are any spoilers still … 

I know.  I am pathetic.  I like my spoilers.  😁

Me too.  I was hoping….

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ellee said:

I like my spoilers.  😁

I can spoil you on the two I've watched so far, but just quickly:

Spoiler

Britt knocked off Jose (and by several points) and Maneet beat Karen.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1