Type keyword(s) to search

Tournament Of Champions - General Discussion

Message added by JTMacc99,

Spoiler Policy: Any information about an episode posted before it happens on the East Coast Food Network broadcast should be put under spoiler tags. 

• Start Topic

On 4/23/2021 at 5:18 PM, meep.meep said:

Having finally seen the whole thing, I'm left with an overwhelming fascination for Nancy Silverton's barrettes.  

Someone needs to give her a stylist.

46 minutes ago, cameron said:

Someone needs to give her a stylist.

IMO, Nancy Silverton is a perennial "hippie", non-conformist who believes her styling clock is stuck in the 60's and loves her presentation choices.  She wouldn't deign herself in need of a "stylist" if her life depended on it.  If anyone found her presentation choices not to their liking I can see her sharply glancing in his/her direction indicating there was something drastically wrong with HIS/HER opinion of her "look."  

• Love 9
On 4/5/2021 at 4:00 AM, Mellowyellow said:

I squeeeeeeeed when Brooke played for Shirley. They were in the Top Chef finale together and some nasty people were trying to make a case that Brooke didn't get along with Shirley so I totally cackled at Brooke earning her friend $10,000!

I missed that, so now we have to dislike Brooke less, great! 

I watched that TC season not too long ago, and I got the vibe that Brooke just wanted to win, but Shirley was just naturally more friendly.   Sounds like Brooke has lots  of friends in the industry, but she's not very likeable when she's in her competing zone.

I'm surprised Nyesha isn't competing as she seems to be one of Guy's new favs (she got the fancy Ninja nicknames).   Maybe she and Blais were out due to being on Ramsey's current show.  I like Nyesha but can sacrifice if it keeps Blais away.   

Alex must have been really pissed about going out first season 1 because she hasn't been back since, yet she's usually a staple in these competition shows (much like Antonia).  

That list reads more like Top Chef: All Stars than a Food Network show.  

Whoever wrote that article is going to be fired because they neglected the most important piece of info:  Hunter will be back with his dullard "on the field" interviews. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Alex must have been really pissed about going out first season 1 because she hasn't been back since, yet she's usually a staple in these competition shows (much like Antonia).  

She has her own competition show now, Alex vs. America.  Obviously they filmed at different times, though, because Eric Adjepong - who's in ToC III - hosts it.  I've watched a couple of episodes, and, as noted in the linked article, there are similarities to this show (they share a production company), including the blind judging.  It's kind of like Beat Bobby Flay made with the sensibilities of this show minus the obnoxiousness of Guy Fieri and the uselessness of his spawn; it's good (despite the off-putting title).

• Love 4

I have been watching Alex vs. America and it's pretty good although I have to admit I'm getting super tired of constant cooking competition shows by now.  How many can you watch?  I skipped over a lot of TOC last season. Now it's even "Bigger and Better"?  I'm worn out just thinking about it.

• Love 1

Just saw a preview and they said "double the contestants" - not sure I'm going to like that.  I know it means more eps and more ad revenue (I'm assuming the show has done well the past 2 years).  I'll still be watching though, I love the blind tasting and the caliber of chef's they've had.  Even those I didn't think we as good, really shined here, imo.    Looking forward to Feb 20.

• Love 4
On 2/9/2022 at 8:56 PM, aquarian1 said:

Just saw a preview and they said "double the contestants" - not sure I'm going to like that.  I know it means more eps and more ad revenue (I'm assuming the show has done well the past 2 years).  I'll still be watching though, I love the blind tasting and the caliber of chef's they've had.  Even those I didn't think we as good, really shined here, imo.    Looking forward to Feb 20.

I'm just hoping it doesn't mean they're going to make the episodes any LONGER. They were already too long in my opinion. I'd rather them chop everything up into half-hour episodes featuring one battle at a time, but I'm sure that's not what is going to happen.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I'm just hoping it doesn't mean they're going to make the episodes any LONGER. They were already too long in my opinion. I'd rather them chop everything up into half-hour episodes featuring one battle at a time, but I'm sure that's not what is going to happen.

Sunday's premiere is two hours. I think the first hour will be a rehash of the intro show that aired last Sunday that introduced the brackets. 

It's like old home week if you're a Top Chef fan. Easily half the field competed on that show. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Glad Cliff isn't there with Marcel.

Lol!  I'm sure they’ve made their peace by now.  At least I would hope so. 

Edited by Ellee

Chef Tim Hollingsworth is an impressive get for TOC.  In addition to the accolades recited by Guy in his introduction, he represented the USA in the Bocuse D'Or, the most prestigious culinary competition in the world.  His team came in 6th in 2009.

I'm also really happy to see Tiffany and this is a great match up.

• Love 4

Just a quick nitpick about Guy's pronunciation of Kelsey Barnard Clark's name:  it's BARnard, not BERnard.  Every interview I've watched with her the emphasis is on BARnard.  I know it's petty, but the host should be able to pronounce the chef's names correctly!  

Spoiler

In case people are recording and not watching live, bummer about her being out already.  I'm new to this show, so will the losers in these brackets have a chance to get back in, or was that it?

• Love 1

I just love this show.  After watching the 1st ep of this season I have no qualms about the doubling of contestants.  I love the quality of contestants they get to compete and to judge.  I love the set up of head to head battles.  I love the truly blind judging (they don't even know which chefs are competing so it's not like they know one dish is Michael's and the other is Philip's) And I even love the hype and sports-like set up. 

I also still love more traditional chef competition shows, but this is a whole other animal.  All the head to heads mean you have to be the best every time.  No getting by with not being the worst.  The other types of competitions, like Top Chef, take a lot of effort too, of course, but in a different way - more of a marathon where this is a series of sprints. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Just a quick nitpick about Guy's pronunciation of Kelsey Barnard Clark's name:  it's BARnard, not BERnard.  Every interview I've watched with her the emphasis is on BARnard.  I know it's petty, but the host should be able to pronounce the chef's names correctly!  

Reveal spoiler

In case people are recording and not watching live, bummer about her being out already.  I'm new to this show, so will the losers in these brackets have a chance to get back in, or was that it?

You lose, you're done. 

Ugh...I am not sure why...but I can't stand Maneet!! LOL! I  do like this show though.

Hopefully Giada won't be a judge the whole show!! Good grief!! She's just a snot!!

Ok..I'm done griping. Ha...I really do like this show! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Lordy, if they had a different host (and thus also lost the useless Fieri Jr.), this would be a much better show, but I still tune in for the incredible food; the caliber of cheftestants is terrific.  But this was a bit too much in one night.

I don't particularly care about either Voltaggio brother, but I could not stand Phillip Franklin Lee during his season of Top Chef, so I was all in for Mike Voltaggio in the first match-up.  Especially because they both have a significant element of pretentious gimmickry in their food, but Voltaggio does it better and less obnoxiously.  Yay for that win.

Tiffany Derry I loved on Top Chef, but I've eaten at Tim Hollingsworth's restaurant (Otium).  It was a delicious meal, so I should be rooting for him, but I think I'd find a terrific offering of her food more interesting than a terrific offering of his.  Based on looking at my TV, I wanted to eat hers more than his.  And I absolutely loved her reactions to the judges' commentary.  So I'm very glad for her win.  But what great scores from both - must have been incredible food!

Kelsey Barnard Clark vs. Eric Adjepong was a really tough one, as I loved both on Top Chef and root for both cuisines to win big.  After deliberating, I wound up rooting for her, because there was a totally unfounded, sexist "he was robbed" contingent after their season of TC (in which he got knocked out at number three, and two women competed in the final, with Kelsey winning) -- so I hoped she'd again be the best, so I didn't have to hear more of that shit, but am very happy for him to have been the best this time because he's great and that dish looked delicious.

I don't know the chef who went up against Maneet Chauhan, and her food has always looked good to me, so I was rooting for her.  I was not expecting her, coming in, to only win by one.  Great job by the challenger, but I'm glad she's sticking around.

LOL at "Nobody is (a tilapia fan)" and all the other commentary, as I totally take their point, yet I do make tilapia occasionally when I come across a sustainably-farmed offering at my local fish market because it's cheap and can hold up to a lot of different flavors.

• Love 1

Someone should tell Alex that it was wurst being used in the first challenge, not kielbasa.   And for the record, people in Germany don't eat their wurst on a sandwich - just a semi hard little roll on the side, much less the tomato sauce that both chefs used.  Mustard all the way.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Kelsey Barnard Clark vs. Eric Adjepong was a really tough one, as I loved both on Top Chef and root for both cuisines to win big.  After deliberating, I wound up rooting for her, because there was a totally unfounded, sexist "he was robbed" contingent after their season of TC

Maybe it's the world we're living in, but all the smack talk, bragging and chest thumping in this is annoying me but this battle probably bothered me the most.   Eric got his "revenge"?  I mean they literally said he got his revenge on her.  Can we remember these are just cooking shows.  I was definitely getting Richard Blais "I choked" vibes from that whole scenario.  

Please don't bring Giada back.  She adds virtually nothing to the show, least of which credibility.  Creen was getting a little by the end of the night too.   Two hours is just a bit much for this.  

Speaking of credibility, the Randomizer is supposed to be all above board, but yet the same item never comes up twice.   I thought maybe they pulled an entry once it was used but I know at a minimum I saw turkey breast on the wheel with each spin.

I noticed Hunter only had his little chats with the winners.  I guess they figured the losers have suffered enough for one night.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Please don't bring Giada back.  She adds virtually nothing to the show, least of which credibility.  Creen was getting a little by the end of the night too.   Two hours is just a bit much for this.  

agree about Giada. And I laughed when Dominique complained that the "thanksgiving turkey meal" was "too sweet." That's a French gal not understanding American Thanksgiving whatsoever. And Alex, did you buy that sparkly striped sweater on a Walmart sales rack, or what.

I could really lose the screaming a la pro wrestling. It was scaring the cats.

• Love 4

Oh, Michael Voltaggio, I don't always root for you, but thank you for getting Phillip...I don't even are enough to look up the rest of his name....off this show. 

Giada is useless as a judge. Dominique and Alex were very good, I though, and not just because the chefs I wanted to win did. They seem to understand food and how to explain their take on dishes to the viewer well. 

I cannot be objective: I love Tiffany Derry. Even so, her meal sounded delicious and so much more creative than the other chef's. I believe everything I heard about him being a force and an amazing chef, but happy about the outcome. 

I like Kelsey and Eric, and it was the first matchup I didn't prefer one over the other. But I'm happy Eric won. always liked him and glad to see him popping up on other shows lately. I have the worst memory, but I can still picture some of Kelsey's dishes from Top Chef and have been happy every time I hear how well her career is doing. 

I didn't know Maneet's opponent but she won me over, after never really warming to her on Top Chef, etc, until she hosted Holiday Wars this year. I got to see more of her and she had a great rapport with her fellow judges Shinmin Lee and Aarti Sequeira. They were great together so I was hoping she'd take it. The (if you can even call it) trash talk between 
her and Richard seemed good-natured on both sides and it's clear he can cook, so I wouldn't mind seeing him on a different show someday. 

I swear, I mind-wiped Hunter as soon as he appeared and can't remember a word he said. He's so bland and uncharismatic that it's easy to do (and he seems perfectly nice, but not TV material). I can only say he was on the show because others have commented that he was. 

Simon and Justin remain extremely well-suited for their job and take it seriously. 

• Love 2

Ugh Aarthi and Darnell are 2 of my favorite chefs in the whole tournament. Why do they have to be against each other?

Was sorry to see Tim go. Hadn't ever watched him before and would like to see more. Glad for Volt, glad for Eric.

9 hours ago, Maverick said:

Maybe it's the world we're living in, but all the smack talk, bragging and chest thumping in this is annoying me but this battle probably bothered me the most.   Eric got his "revenge"? 

That bugged me too because I think they are friends.  I've seen some posts where she's hung out with some of her Top Chef friends over the past couple of years, and he was one of them. 

I only tuned in for KBC since she is from my neck of the woods, so now that she's out, I'm one and done with the show!  I like the concept of the wheel and the random ingredients, and that the judges don't know whose food they're eating, but the competition seemed a little too intense for me.   I don't need the aggravation.  

10 hours ago, susannot said:

ChitChat where is her restaurant in Alabama?

It's in Dothan.  The name of it is KBC.  That's exciting if he's going to work there!  I hear that she's very good to her staff.  

• Love 1

I love this show so much I actually watched it LIVE on Sunday night! Great pairings right out of the gate and I was happy with how things shook out.

Is it me or do the proteins seem A LOT more challenging this season? Bratwurst, turkey breast, ground chicken, and tilapia? Those last three are so bland and hard to elevate. Even the incredibly creative Michael Volt seemed to be flailing with his bratwurst dish and ended up doing way too many things none of which seemed cohesive. In previous seasons, I recall them having proteins like quail, lamb chops, and catfish, which were much easier to do something great with.

I was trying to recall who participated in previous seasons and didn't return to cook this time: Richard Blais, Nyesha Arrington (maybe she and Blais were busy with Next Level Chef), Alex G. (judging this time), Marc Murphy, Cat Cora, Rocco Dispirito? Anyone else? No shade on those who haven't come back. I'm sure this competition is super stressful!

Was there a cash prize in S2 or S2? I remember the winners getting cars, but not money. $100K is a really nice pay-off to the winner.

• Love 1
Just now, BrainyBlonde said:

I was trying to recall who participated in previous seasons and didn't return to cook this time: Richard Blais, Nyesha Arrington (maybe she and Blais were busy with Next Level Chef), Alex G. (judging this time), Marc Murphy, Cat Cora, Rocco Dispirito? Anyone else? No shade on those who haven't come back. I'm sure this competition is super stressful!

In the preview special, they showed Cat Cora as one of the judges.

On 2/28/2022 at 9:40 AM, Maverick said:

Speaking of credibility, the Randomizer is supposed to be all above board, but yet the same item never comes up twice.   I thought maybe they pulled an entry once it was used but I know at a minimum I saw turkey breast on the wheel with each spin.

That's interesting that you saw the same ingredient on each spin, because I also assumed that we never see the same ingredient multiple times was because it came off the wheel. Now I want to go back and get all slow motion on the wheels to see what's up.

• Love 2

another thing about the randomizer-- I noted last season that there must be a gap between the randomizer and "go," as I doubt they have supplies of ALL of those proteins defrosted and available in those big fridges. They'd at least have to take the time to move the chosen stuff to somewhere VISIBLE rather than under the pigeons, venison, pork ribs, short ribs, skate, scallops, shrimp, lobster, ground pork, bratwurst, ..... you get the idea.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Why must the judges eat standing up?

I think this is to keep us reminded that the judges are just whisked in to do their blind judging and then whisked right back out. 

By keeping them standing up, it gives the impression of a hit and run.

• Love 1

One thing I really enjoy about this show is that, because of the blind judging, we can see that a number of far more obscure chefs (the guy who battled Maneet, and Darnell, for instance) can really hold their own against the big star chefs.  Of course, they could fiddle with the final scores to give us the impression of a closer score while keeping the winner the same. However, I can’t believe that Alex G would have lost to Darnell without a peep if she had the idea that she was in fact the winner on the judges’ scorecard, so it’s hard to see them actually meddling with the actual outcome.  But then again, there may be $$ involved.  I just hope it’s on the up and up because it’s very entertaining.

Happy but surprised that Tiffany beat that guy that everyone was talking up.  Was she always that loud on Top Chef?  My recollection of her is that she was more dignified and composed on that show, but it’s been a long time.  

I hope Tobias acquits himself well.  He’s a favorite of mine from GGG.

• Love 3

Watched a bit but I am not a huge fan. The format is too fast and I don't like the wheel thing. 

I am also clueless as to how Guy got to be as big as he is. He is all over the place and I suspect he is no where as good a Chef as most of the other Chef's in this competition. Never mind pushing Hunter into every show that Guy is on. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

I am also clueless as to how Guy got to be as big as he is. He is all over the place and I suspect he is no where as good a Chef as most of the other Chef's in this competition. Never mind pushing Hunter into every show that Guy is on. 

I think Guy would be the first to agree that he's not as good as most of the competing chefs. However, he is apparently good enough to hang with them, or else he wouldn't keep getting their enthusiastic participation year in and year out.

In terms of how he got to be this big, while his personality can wear on some people, it is also clearly very popular with a lot of people. You can't have the longevity he has had without the viewership numbers. Where some see loud and over the top, others see outgoing and energetic. He's also very positive, encouraging, and generous. That's the kind of presence that a lot of people like to watch. He's no dummy, either, and seems to have a pretty good business/marketing sense (possible Hunter blind spot aside).

So I don't think it's any great mystery why he's risen to the top as he has, if one sets aside one's own personal preferences.

IMO Guy is a good cook and teacher. His own programs Guy’s Big Bite and the one where he cooked outside by himself were enjoyable. When he steps up on GGG and cooks, they always like what he makes. 

• Love 8

He's also raised more than $25M for restaurant relief during the pandemic.  You might not like his style, but he is doing good things.  Plus he's not competing or judging these chefs.

• Love 10

Obviously I am shallow.  I never liked Phillip but he does look a lot better now than his man bun days.  Still happy Volt beat him, though.

Tim is a cutie and boo to Dominique for not understanding Thanksgiving flavors.  I have always liked Tiffany but I feel like he got shortchanged.   I've always liked Dominique but here she bugged me with her critique.  I never thought I'd say this but I hope she isn't around for future judging.  The way the other judges were looking at her you could tell they weren't agreeing with her half the time.  When even Giada can't find one thing wrong with a dish that's pretty significant.  And yet he lost.

Also, I've always liked Eric but since his TC days he's gotten a little too something and it bugs me sometimes.  A little too competitive maybe?  I really can't put my finger on it.  Or maybe he's undergoing the FN star transformation and that always makes me find them just a little more obnoxious.  

And Hunter is now "backstage correspondent"?  Give me a freaking break.

• Love 5

Terrific to see all this talent in one place.  Top Chef Masters is the only other place I've been able to watch that.

Good for Alex, and for TOC, for her return as a judge.  Her first-round loss in the Season One premiere was cataclysmic.  I'm sure it still stings.  But you can tell what a thoughtful and descriptive judge she is, especially compared to Giada chirping out "I like this!"

Blerg, Giada.  I used to watch Food Network Star just to snark about her scraping a microscopic amount of food off the tines of her fork with her large white teeth.  Even so, I had to feel a little bit sorry for her here.  The contestants were fainting away when they saw Crenn and showed enthusiastic respect for Guarnaschelli.  Then they would say, "Oh, and Giada."  And the camera would cut away.

• Love 6