Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E04: I Like Revenge

festivus
  • Start Topic

I've been reading the back and forth on Michele with interest, but I just don't like her. I'm willing to revise my opinion as the game continues, but if the final was today, the only way I'm rooting for her to win is if she's in the Final 3 sitting next to Ben. And maybe the mountain that almost killed Ethan.

I think I was just rooting so hard for Aubry or Cydney that season that Michele was such a disappointment as a viewer.

Natalie is such a badass. Can she come back in the game now?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Despite all the gushing and discussion about being star-struck by each other, I suspect that part of the reason some Rob and Parvati are still around is because at least a few people are thinking in the backs of their minds, "Hang on—I've won just as many times as Rob/Parvati has," and are also thinking, "…and Rob/Parvati has lost more times than I have, so why would I be afraid of him/her?"

I'm especially unimpressed with Rob (though I've never been a fan of his), who doesn't appear to have changed anything about his game from the three previous seasons I've seen him in. Once again, he's out in front, trying to tell everyone how to vote, even though he's in the minority on his tribe. He seems constitutionally incapable of biding his time and letting someone else call the shots for a little while. Adam's behavior this week was transparent, but given the choice between working with someone who is on the outs and willing to take orders vs. someone in the same position who is not, I would definitely prefer to work with the person who is going to put his head down and vote the way I want him to for a little while.

On 3/4/2020 at 10:09 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Anyone else think that scene with Rob and Michelle discussing how her win was controversial and essentially people didn't think she should have won, was totally random and out of place in the episode?

I thought maybe the show was trying to address Michele's win "in-universe". She played the game and won, therefore she deserved to win, because that's how it works in Survivor—even All-Time Great Boston Rob™ thinks so. Although as others have pointed out, Rob would be motivated to validate controversial wins since his win was one of them (as was his wife's). Or maybe whoever wins this season does it in way that is controversial or otherwise unsatisfying to viewers, and this is the producers getting ahead of the inevitable complaints.

12 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Sandra can be playing for herself and still get along with other people. The people she dislikes, she dislikes and everyone knows it. Think Fairplay and Russell. Everyone knew she didn't like them. Hell, they knew she didn't like them. She was fine with pretty much everyone else on her tribe and I cannot remember anyone saying that Sandra treated them poorly, was mean, or ignored them. I am trying to remember hearing anyone complain about Sandra outside of the game.

I think this is a large part of the reason Sandra is never the first vote, even though unathletic middle-aged* women are easy targets for it. People like having her around. Weirdly, I think she and Jeremy do a similar thing—they both are nice to have around camp on a day-to-day basis that matters greatly to quality of life for the players, but which doesn't necessarily translate on screen. With Sandra, there's an added bonus that she's willing to have confrontations with unpleasant people, so she wins everyone else over even more by giving them the vicarious thrill of saying what they're all thinking to the Russel Hantzes and Jonny Fairplays of the game.

*She wasn't really middle-aged the first time she played, but she also wasn't cast to be the "young, hot chick" on the tribe. Probst commented on the fact that she was a mom and "mouthy".

• Love 11

As I thought last episode Rob and Parvati had to try and get with Adam, but Adam may not even have Denise as a solid number any longer.  The best move is simply to say 'we are big targets keep us around, you can't trust Adam'.  But it's also not very surprising that they would target Adam, so the others probably expected that

Manoman, poor Ethan.  That looked brutal and unless it was edited to look worse than it was, he probably should have been given more than a quick lookover by the dr.  Good for him for finishing the task, but it hardly seems worth it for a coin.

That ending on EoE island with Tyson saying "Wow!  Look at all that wood!  Where are the margaritas?" was hilarious.

Interesting that one of the tribes can see EoE island.

Good for Adam too for not giving up grabbing the key.  He was pretty exhausted too.  Poor planning on that tribe's part, not putting someone taller up there, but it was good to see Rob back in Puzzle Ninja form.

I can't remember Michele or Sophie in their first seasons and half the time when someone mentions Sophie I think they are talking about Sarah.  (She looks more like a Sophie to me.)

• Love 5

I've been quietly mourning because I know I'm one of the very few Tyson stans on here, but over the years he has become my favorite player and I'm super bummed he got voted out. But I have to give credit where credit is due - that was a smart move by Sandra. She is so good. She is such a dangerous player because she can orchestrate moves like this without seeming like she is running things. The minute she heard Tyson had thrown her name out, she said "he's got to go next" and she made it happen.

This is the best season and the worst season at the same time. I love all of these players and don't want anyone voted out!  I read a post on Twitter: "Jeff Probst tried to warn us, but we insisted." But I'm still glad we got a winners season.

Now I want Natalie, Ethan, and Tyson all to come back from the Edge! I hate the Edge but I'm glad to keep seeing my faves at the same time. I equally look forward to Wednesdays and dread them this season. So many contradictory feelings!!! 

• Love 8
(edited)
22 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm still bored lol.

I enjoyed seeing Natalie once again be bad ass (and everyone comment on how bad ass she is) and Ethan triumph but I still could have done without what felt like a 15 minute EoE segment.

I was fine with Tyson going but he had so many great lines in this ep. Honestly, my fave parts of the ep were his eyeroll about Nick's Parvati crush and his, "I'd rather just swallow it," about giving away his fire token. I'm almost glad for EoE now just because we'll probably get some fun quips from him still in every ep.

I hate that I like Adam this season. It makes me feel uneasy!

And now for a shallow moment: Sandra looks stunningly beautiful this season. And she looks younger with each ep. Parvati also looks absolutely beautiful. 

Speaking of Parvati, I'm simultaneously enjoying and saddened by how subdued she is so far.

I cant imagine how Parvati can be flirtatious and use her old strategy--shes kind of sunk, because if she flirts, noone will believe her and she will be criticized. on Likeability alone, I choose Yul. If i see Sandra gleefully take herself out of one more challenge I will go from loving her to hating her. I noticed tyson said island of extinction took the "sting" out of it. I hate this whole concept.Im kind of wishig they would have a season of folks who almost won, but didnt??

Edited by nlkm9
add
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Hera said:

I thought maybe the show was trying to address Michele's win "in-universe". She played the game and won, therefore she deserved to win, because that's how it works in Survivor—even All-Time Great Boston Rob™ thinks so. Although as others have pointed out, Rob would be motivated to validate controversial wins since his win was one of them (as was his wife's). Or maybe whoever wins this season does it in way that is controversial or otherwise unsatisfying to viewers, and this is the producers getting ahead of the inevitable complaints.

I feel like so many of the wins have been controversial though. "Tina only won because Colby was a moron." "Tony only won because Woo was a moron." "Vecepia only won because the jury was bitter." "Natalie White only won because the jury was bitter." "Tom only won because he bullied Ian into giving up final immunity." "Yul only won because he had an overpowered idol." "Ben only won because the producers changed the rules at the last minute." For every season, there's someone who thinks there's a case to be made that someone other than the actual winner was more deserving. I don't think the producers care very much about people complaining because people will complain no matter what, and if people are complaining, it means they're watching.

• Love 19
Just now, fishcakes said:

I feel like so many of the wins have been controversial though. "Tina only won because Colby was a moron." "Tony only won because Woo was a moron." "Vecepia only won because the jury was bitter." "Natalie White only won because the jury was bitter." "Tom only won because he bullied Ian into giving up final immunity." "Yul only won because he had an overpowered idol." "Ben only won because the producers changed the rules at the last minute." For every season, there's someone who thinks there's a case to be made that someone other than the actual winner was more deserving. I don't think the producers care very much about people complaining because people will complain no matter what, and if people are complaining, it means they're watching.

I agree that a lot of the wins have been at least somewhat controversial, but most of the furor seems to die down after awhile. Cochran's win, for example, was widely panned at the time as being "handed to him", but you don't seem to hear complaints about that as much anymore.

However, Michele's and Rob's seem to be two of the ones where the controversy seems to have lingered (at least among gatherings of more devoted Survivor fans). I also agree that the producers don't really care if people complain, but I'm sure they know people still talk about and debate those wins. So they threw that scene in there, since Rob and Michele were obliging enough to have a conversation about it. Or maybe I'm just hoping that was the reasoning, and that it wasn't foreshadowing a Michele win 😎

3 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

If i see Sandra gleefully take herself out of one more challenge I will go from loving her to hating her.

In all fairness, this isn't a unilateral decision on Sandra's part.  Obviously her tribemates all agree that sitting her out is the best thing to do.  

• Love 6
4 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

I hate this whole concept.Im kind of wishig they would have a season of folks who almost won, but didnt??

I'd rather see a "first vote offs return" season. See what everyone learned from their ignominious Survivor experiences. It would be the other side of the coin to an all winners season.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Some of those are 100% legit. Tina and Tony should never have been in the finals. You can argue that their great social game within their alliance led to them being in the finals and they won but the reality is that they should not have been there. But they managed to make it to the finals and won based on how they played the game.

Tom won because he was a bully and Ian handed it to him. Plenty of people love Tom and are fine with his win. I find him to be a bullying asshole and never liked his game play. His win was legit.

Natalie White's win was far more then a bitter jury, plenty of people that season said the Russell show simply dominated and what was really going on wasn't even close to fully shown. And given how much the show loved Russell, I have no problem buying that. But you will notice that Natalie is not back and I am not sure that she was asked to return.

Yul had a more powerful idol but he also figured out to play it perfectly. I don't think Richard's win is lessened because he figured out the alliance mechanism first and I don't think Yul's win is lessened because he figured out the idol.

Ben was pretty much handed the win with that twist. He managed to win immunity or find idols at the right time and then the fire making challenge was introduced. Overall, Ben did not play a good game. But there was no way that he was not going to win because his backstory was powerful. You heard the other contestants mention that for weeks in a row. They finally had a chance to get him out and there is a fire making competition for the first time ever.

The reality is that Rob is right, who ever wins their season is the winner that season deserves. That said, there are some winners that have a different feel to them because of the circumstances. Rob and Michelle tend to fall into that category.

• Love 8

@ProfCrash I’m not arguing any of the things I listed as examples. I was simply making the point that any win is going to be controversial to someone if they thought a different player should have won and non-controversial if they’re okay with the player who won. Your laying out the arguments for or against those winners is exactly what I meant. Personally, I agree with Rob. Whoever won deserved it, whether or not any individual viewer likes it or not.

• Love 11
55 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Some of those are 100% legit. Tina and Tony should never have been in the finals. You can argue that their great social game within their alliance led to them being in the finals and they won but the reality is that they should not have been there. But they managed to make it to the finals and won based on how they played the game.

Although many of the aforementioned winners were never favorites of mine, I simply cannot agree with the bolded part of your statement - not when the very literal reality of the situation is that they WERE there, and they DID win the Jury vote.

18 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Personally, I agree with Rob. Whoever won deserved it, whether or not any individual viewer likes it or not.

Same here; over the years, I eventually arrived at the same conclusion - although I can tell you right now, I didn’t enjoy the trip one little bit.

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Same here; over the years, I eventually arrived at the same conclusion - although I can tell you right now, I didn’t enjoy the trip one little bit.

Yeah I’ll complain all day about Hannah losing to Adam but he convinced the jury he was deserving, which is exactly what makes him deserving. 

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Personally, I agree with Rob. Whoever won deserved it, whether or not any individual viewer likes it or not.

Me too. I think Tom Westman also said something similar at one point. We only get to see a very heavily edited version of the events that happen on any season of Survivor. The players don't have a full view of the game, either—no one is ever part of every conversation, nor do they know what's going on in anyone else's mind. The idea that there's some sort of objective standard of who is deserving of the win (outside of going by who actually won it) is absurd. Where would this objectivity even come from?

• Love 10

I tend to think the right person wins each season because that is who won. That doesn’t mean that some of the decisions that are made make the winner less exciting? Or worthy? I don’t have the right word.

Tina and Tony did something really right. Colby and Woo had to know that they would be more likely to win against Keith or Kass, I think it was Kass. 

Ben won, like everyone expected. If the rules hadn’t changed, Ben would have been gone.

Those victories feel more hollow to me, less impressive. The winner won but it is just eh.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, TresGatos said:

I laughed so hard at the very end when Tyson said, "Wow, you guys have a ton of firewood!" in such an awestruck voice. 

That was quite probably my favorite part of the entire episode.  😄

1 minute ago, ProfCrash said:

I tend to think the right person wins each season because that is who won. That doesn’t mean that some of the decisions that are made make the winner less exciting? Or worthy? I don’t have the right word.

“Satisfying”, maybe?  If so, then I’m right there with you.  😁

• Love 7
On 3/4/2020 at 11:40 PM, ByaNose said:

Frankly, I was surprised that Rob was on the puzzle again. Not just because he (they) blew it last week but I must be blanking out but I don’t recall Rob being a puzzle whiz to begin with. In his four times playing the game what is his puzzle win/loses? Obviously, the tribe hasn’t had any problem with him doing them but I just don’t recall it being his Survivor wheelhouse. I could be totally wrong though. 

For me it was a difference of having puzzle pieces and not knowing what the picture would be and, in Rob’s team’s case, seeing at least 1/2 (or 1/3) of a finished puzzle.  His team at least had an idea of what was supposed to be pictured. But really, the other team lost it for themselves by having a piece wrong at the bottom. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

I'd rather see a "first vote offs return" season. See what everyone learned from their ignominious Survivor experiences. It would be the other side of the coin to an all winners season.

yeah but I dont remmeber them--I remember Ozzy, Aubry, et al and would love to see this

23 hours ago, CloudySky said:

Ha indeed, because I see a nice little story arc building. Starting off with episode 1 when she was blindsided when her ally Nathalie was voted off. So she was on the bottom with Jeremy, but was able to manoeuver into a power position and orchestrate the Ethan vote. She seems to get along with everyone and her name never comes up. And she's using Jeremy's meat shield strategy on Jeremy by using him as her meat shield. She's had some confessionals (or was it pregame interviews?) about wanting to play a more aggressive game this go around.

Compared to half the cast who's barely appeared on screen or been shown strategizing, she's had a ton of story! 😛 

Ha! I just find her beyond dull, so have not seen what you have seen play out. I guess story arc is in the eye of the beholder, too; she zones me out! Must say, I am horrified at the thought of another Michelle win. I would think her name never comes up as she is such a non-threat... 

On 3/6/2020 at 10:56 AM, LanceM said:

And no she shouldn't feel bad about her win at all. That is ridiculous, frankly.

And yet that does seem to be the way she feels about her win. Should she not feel how she feels? Rhetorical question...

Anyway, Rob has a lot of gravitas and personal power. (I wonder if he has a particularly strong solar plexus chakra?!) And he used his eminence to reassure and soothe Michelle, which was very nice to see; and it seemed to me it worked, it put her mind to rest to some large degree. Because Rob the Great and Powerful said it, it made it so! Or like CBT.

Boy, the emotional contrast between Ethan recounting his powerful story about going through treatment, getting spinal taps, chemotherapy, being in a room seven years ago and thinking he was going to die, and repeating the mantras he used to get himself through it for that Edge of Extinction challenge ...

... compared with Adam jumping off that ridiculous beam six times, and then after his team wins the challenge, tearfully relating a story his mom told to his eighth grade teacher about how he never gives up when he sets his mind to do something  ...

Taken together in the same episode, that's a big ol' "yikes." Talk about separating the man from the boy.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Not days. An hour. It was a very sad story. I just found it a ridiculous contrast to bring up Adam's mother in light of him doing well on a challenge on an episode with Ethan's powerful story.

All I know is the editors are leaving a lot of Michelle’s “controversial win” in the episodes. I know there’s a lot of game to be played but they are sure hitting me over the head with it. I’m calling it now. She’s in the Final 3. Of course, I’m entitled to change my mind later. LOL!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Has anyone noticed how Rahb has a blubbed-out Dad bod (especially noticeable from the back when he was sitting on the beach), but Ambuh, WHO HAS ACTUALLY POPPED OUT FOUR BABIES, looks fantastic?

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
On 3/4/2020 at 10:40 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Yeah, I was watching it and then it slowly dawned on me just how much time they spent showing people who are no longer in the game. They need to tighten up the editing on the EOE stuff. 

It was nice of them go with him though and seemed like a good idea just for safety's sake. That was an excessively physical task for people living on nearly no food.

I think she's lacking both a female companion and a blindly loyal hanger-on. Rob is the closest ally she has, but she knows better than to make him her long-term plan. Maybe she'll perk up in the swap or merge when she identifies the person she can tuck under her wing. My money would be on somebody like Michele, who clearly has an enormous chip on her shoulder about her win. I could see Parvati weaving her spell around that theme to pull Michele in tight. 

I don't see Kim or Tony as that huge a threat in the context of the rest of the players, but Sandra, Rob, and Parvati are definitely doing well so far considering the size of the targets that should be on them.

Honestly, I'm okay with that too. I'd rather lose some of the lesser knowns and let the big dogs fight it out at the end. My worst nightmare would be that the big targets all get taken out and we're left with a final 3 of Adam, Michele, and Sophie or something. An endgame that included Rob/Parvati/Sandra would be really interesting to watch just to see whose strategies held up.

Tyson giving his token to Nick was interesting. Not sure if it was a desire to see the world burn kind of move or if maybe he has an interest in preserving the people he feels less threatened by in the event that he returns to the game. If they can give their tokens to anyone at all, he could have helped his "poker alliance" buddies on the other tribe, but chose not to. Would be curious to hear his reasoning on that one. 

Michelle doing what Parvati wants  and going under her wing  would be dumb as hell. Michelle having a chip on her shoulder about her win wouldn't be helped by being parvartis stooge. And I'd rather people get smart and finally boot players like Rob Parv and Sandra. 

• Love 1
On 3/5/2020 at 7:16 PM, Lamima said:

I don't  remember Michelle ever being with Aubry.  Aubry's person was old Joe. I don't remember Cydney even being with Aubry so much. Cydney was on her own from what I recall. But Julia and Michelle were close. Though I think she went along with Julia's demise.

image.png.f923a407886aa9f430e77bb9df1666b1.png

Considering Julia planned on backstabbing her for those two Pieces of crap and gleefully laughed and encouraged their behavior when they blindsided at one point I didn't blame Michelle for letting Julia get voted out 

• Love 1
On 3/4/2020 at 8:37 PM, tracyscott76 said:

I mean, her idol had expired (I guess?)

It hasn't expired.  It's just like the one she gave Kellee last season on IotI; good for 3 TCs the holder personally attends, and she's only been to 2 since buying it.   When Sandra next goes to TC, that will be the last one she could use it.

On 3/4/2020 at 10:40 PM, ByaNose said:

Frankly, I was surprised that Rob was on the puzzle again. Not just because he (they) blew it last week

They didn't blow it last week; they were within seconds of winning in a huge comeback.  If Sophie and Sarah had been slower in retrieving the pieces of their puzzle they knocked out, or had they had to put them back in one at a time, Rob and Michele might have been able to pip them at the post.

On 3/5/2020 at 9:51 AM, ProfCrash said:

Sandra can be playing for herself and still get along with other people. The people she dislikes, she dislikes and everyone knows it. Think Fairplay and Russell. Everyone knew she didn't like them. Hell, they knew she didn't like them. She was fine with pretty much everyone else on her tribe and I cannot remember anyone saying that Sandra treated them poorly, was mean, or ignored them. I am trying to remember hearing anyone complain about Sandra outside of the game.

Yes, she plays for herself but everyone out there is playing for themselves. The Woo's and Colby's of the world are rare. 99.9% of the players out there are gunning for the money. They might not be as upfront about it but they are not suffering out there to help someone else win.

But that is a far distance from not caring about the other people out there. Sandra is regularly chatting with people, laughing with people, and exchanging quips with people. She seems to be well received by her tribe mates.

I am wondering how Nick is going to play off that Kim vote.

Sandra's blunt honesty is one of the qualities that seems to endear her to her castmates.   Plus, she has the same attitude with everyone, no matter if your on her good side or bad side.  If you do something stupid, she'll call you "stupid-ass", ally or enemy.   So she doesn't really treat anyone any differently.  Unless she really hates them.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:43 AM, Daisy said:

No one ever does.  😉

We're talking survivor here at work, and there are a lot of people who don't like Sandra, and I get it (I suppose 😉 ). but I adore her. And while it would make me sad as heck if she got booted out like before the actual jury (I dunno how EOE is gonna work) - I think it's a testament about her and her game. 

Like you said. Sandra can hate your guts - but she's never really. rude like a Scott, Jason, etc. She'll never go out of her way to make you feel small (maybe outside of burning Russel's hat,) and basically, it's sort of like my mom. When she's done. she's done. She doesn't really super dwell on it or pick at it.

I even said it in the live thread. No one ever goes after Sandra. Even in Gamechangers - JT legitimately had to push to get people to vote her off. Because Sandra is - for the most part, the "perfect" alliance mate. If she's in your alliance/wants to protect, you she's going to do it. You need recon - Sandra is your girl. She's never gonna be a "threat" to you physically (ever), or in puzzles (ever). and she might win her second ever challenge (if it's endurance).  

and - as people tend to like their meat shields - Sandra's is the best one. Because she's still the ONLY one (until the end of this season) who has won twice. (and if i recall correctly - in both wins never had a vote thrown against her - though she did have votes thrown her way the day she played her idol so maybe an asterisk there).  The dangerous thing (which is what a lot of people tend to underestimate) is that Sandra can (and has) taken that time you given her being "crappy" to devise reasons why she deserves to win. Because she is loyal. She is dependable. She does make moves and if it doesn't work, oh well, but moves don't always have to work. etc etc etc. 9x10 Sandra's big moves is basically not pissing people off, where as most other people tend to burn bridges as they go and they hope the person beside them sucks. 

Sandra is also one of those rare people who tend to play "anyone but me" (ie: just tell me, and we'll go for it). but for good chunks of the game seems to also be RUNNING the show. but making people believe that they are. (which is what JT completely pushed in Gamechangers and used that to boot her out).

I'm biased. I want Sandra to win 3 times. (only because it would make Jeff's head explode and that intself would be a wonderful thing). but if she does get voted out i really want her to be on the jury. that's something we've never seen. (same with Rob I think and i'd really like to see that as well)

so in regards to the Tyson thing - while i was kinda-surprised that Sandra did vote him out, it makes total sense why she did. A: he's a threat because he tossed her name out (Don't ever let Sandra find out lol), so she can't trust him. and B: as others mentioned above - Tyson's got a lot of connections on the other side. She can't control a Tyson (at all). She can a Tony, etc. etc.

That also fits into a reason that the Unconnected would want to vote out Tyson and keep Sandra instead.  Keep in mind who the leader of the Unconnected is: Yul.  And we know that he prefers to play with people he can either trust or reasonably predict what they'll do.  Sandra's like Penner; predictably selfish and will make any move to benefit herself (the old "as long as it ain't me" strategy).  Tyson is a comparative wild card; notably changing his vote from what his alliance had planned out because he thought he knew better, only to get voted out himself instead. 

Yul can work with Sandra, as long as she wants to work with him.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:57 AM, tracyscott76 said:

I don't know, I actually think Jeff would be kind of tickled if Sandra managed to win for a third time. It would appeal to his love of epic, historic moments. And I've never seen any sign from him that he dislikes Sandra or feels that her wins were a blot on the show.

Jeff does love his alpha males, especially in the physical challenges, but sometimes I think that reputation gets over-stated.

Agreed.  Peachy loves Sandra.  Back when he was saying there weren't enough "good" female winners for an all-winner season like this one, Sandra was one of the very few women he mentioned positively.  And I also think he'd find it hilarious and appropriate if she somehow retained the crown as the only multi-time winner.

On 3/5/2020 at 4:57 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I don't recall his exact record on puzzles but Rob is a whiz on them.  That's what makes him such a deadly combo--his physical dominance is equally matched with smarts and social skills.   But last night's comeback was on a whole 'nother level.

This is what I was saying throughout IotI.  The reason Rob was one of the mentors and has the giant bust wasn't because of his win; it's because he's the best all-arounder in Survivor history.  Others can lay claim to being the best at a single aspect of Survivor, like Challenge God Ozzy or Social Queen Cirie.   But Rob is one of the elite few that can pull it all together.  (Also on that short list: Parvati.)

2 hours ago, EllenB said:

Has anyone noticed how Rahb has a blubbed-out Dad bod (especially noticeable from the back when he was sitting on the beach), but Ambuh, WHO HAS ACTUALLY POPPED OUT FOUR BABIES, looks fantastic?

I've got 3 reasons, with varying degrees of seriousness:

1. He hasn't been able yet to lose the weight he put on before IotI.  There was only a two-week interval between that season ending, and this one starting.
  2. He's an Italian father; it happens.
  3. He's physically playing into his Rahb-father persona and trying to look more like Brando.

• Love 14
14 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Not days. An hour. It was a very sad story. I just found it a ridiculous contrast to bring up Adam's mother in light of him doing well on a challenge on an episode with Ethan's powerful story.

I dont find it ridiculous at all. First of all, he has no idea what Ethan was going through in EOE or, probably, even what Ethan has gone through at all other than he’s a cancer survivor. Secondly, Adam really loved his mother and she’s probably on his mind all of the time. I had a contentious relationship with my mother and I still think about her all the time since she died 4 years ago. So, for him to remember fondly that his mom said he could do anything he put his mind to after struggling through that challenge and finally succeeding even though he was physically exhausted, I’ll give him a pass even though it was played basically side-by-side against Ethan’s struggles. 

• Love 9

The episode threads are not the place to rehash old seasons. Either take it to the individual contestant threads (if your discussion is about a specific player) or the past season threads. 

• Love 1
On 3/6/2020 at 9:11 PM, Eolivet said:

I am completely spoiler-free so this is just me rambling but I took that to mean that Adam isn’t long for this game so the editors felt the need to squeeze in the obligatory mom confessional sooner rather than later. For the record, my mom has been gone over 20 years and I still sometimes choke up when I’m talking about her so Adam’s tears didn’t bother me, just the ridiculous editing.

On 3/7/2020 at 1:55 AM, EllenB said:

I had literally the exact same thought about Amber when she was lugging those logs. And it’s not just that she’s still so physically fit, she really hasn’t aged much at all. I don’t know what her secret is but she should bottle it and sell it.

• Love 12
On 3/6/2020 at 12:45 PM, Rachel RSL said:

In all fairness, this isn't a unilateral decision on Sandra's part.  Obviously her tribemates all agree that sitting her out is the best thing to do.  

she looks too damn happy about it. color me unimpressed.

On 3/7/2020 at 6:12 AM, SVNBob said:

It hasn't expired.  It's just like the one she gave Kellee last season on IotI; good for 3 TCs the holder personally attends, and she's only been to 2 since buying it.   When Sandra next goes to TC, that will be the last one she could use it.

They didn't blow it last week; they were within seconds of winning in a huge comeback.  If Sophie and Sarah had been slower in retrieving the pieces of their puzzle they knocked out, or had they had to put them back in one at a time, Rob and Michele might have been able to pip them at the post.

Sandra's blunt honesty is one of the qualities that seems to endear her to her castmates.   Plus, she has the same attitude with everyone, no matter if your on her good side or bad side.  If you do something stupid, she'll call you "stupid-ass", ally or enemy.   So she doesn't really treat anyone any differently.  Unless she really hates them.

That also fits into a reason that the Unconnected would want to vote out Tyson and keep Sandra instead.  Keep in mind who the leader of the Unconnected is: Yul.  And we know that he prefers to play with people he can either trust or reasonably predict what they'll do.  Sandra's like Penner; predictably selfish and will make any move to benefit herself (the old "as long as it ain't me" strategy).  Tyson is a comparative wild card; notably changing his vote from what his alliance had planned out because he thought he knew better, only to get voted out himself instead. 

Yul can work with Sandra, as long as she wants to work with him.

Agreed.  Peachy loves Sandra.  Back when he was saying there weren't enough "good" female winners for an all-winner season like this one, Sandra was one of the very few women he mentioned positively.  And I also think he'd find it hilarious and appropriate if she somehow retained the crown as the only multi-time winner.

This is what I was saying throughout IotI.  The reason Rob was one of the mentors and has the giant bust wasn't because of his win; it's because he's the best all-arounder in Survivor history.  Others can lay claim to being the best at a single aspect of Survivor, like Challenge God Ozzy or Social Queen Cirie.   But Rob is one of the elite few that can pull it all together.  (Also on that short list: Parvati.)

I've got 3 reasons, with varying degrees of seriousness:

1. He hasn't been able yet to lose the weight he put on before IotI.  There was only a two-week interval between that season ending, and this one starting.
  2. He's an Italian father; it happens.
  3. He's physically playing into his Rahb-father persona and trying to look more like Brando.

I dont think he was starving during that island of the idols season--I think he and sandra probably ate with the crew every nite.

(edited)

I didn’t watch Sandra’s season and don’t know why she’s called the “queen,” but so far I’m not impressed. How is she able to keep sitting out the challenges and not be targeted by others? 

Also, I can’t remember her name but I wish the really skinny woman that’s on the EOE would put on some more clothes. It is hard for me to look at her and we’re only a quarter of the way in!

Were all those treks up the mountain worth one fire token? Seems like so little for so much effort! 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

I didn’t watch Sandra’s season and don’t know why she’s called the “queen,” but so far I’m not impressed. How is she able to keep sitting out the challenges and not be targeted by others? 

Also, I can’t remember her name but I wish the really skinny woman that’s on the EOE would put on some more clothes. It is hard for me to look at her and we’re only a quarter of the way in!

Were all those treks up the mountain worth one fire token? Seems like so little for so much effort! 

Simply put, Sandra started calling herself the queen after she won the second time, and up to this point, she's still the only one to win twice. It's partly tongue-in-cheek. A longer explanation of her reputation would probably have to go in her own thread.

As for how she's able to keep sitting out, everyone knows (and Sandra herself acknowledges) that she's terrible at physical challenges, so it does the tribe as much good as her to sit her out. And because they all know (or at least know of) each other, it's become kind of an in-joke that they're all in on.

I assume by "the really skinny woman" you mean Danni. It's hot, they're given limited options for clothing. She has just as much right to be comfortable as the rest of them. And she might be skinny, but she's certainly not dangerously so, since she finished that exhausting challenge without incident. 

Edited by tracyscott76
3 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

I dont think he was starving during that island of the idols season--I think he and sandra probably ate with the crew every nite.

I thought I remembered reading an article prior to this season that they had access to plenty of chicken, fruit, and other such food.

On 3/5/2020 at 4:57 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I must be getting sappy in my old age because I actually didn't mind the "inspirational" EoE segment and I usually roll my eyes all through those.  My heart was breaking for how depleted Ethan was and I was worried that they would pull him from the game.  SO happy that he recovered and finished.

I'm the same way. I generally hate the sap but I felt for Ethan. At first I thought he was going to get pulled from the game. I was happy for him that he was able to finish. It also helps that he has always come across as a nice person.

• Love 5

I thought happy Yul hugging everyone and celebrating at the beginning was so sweet.  Also, I don't for a minute believe he was not doing math--he just answered Jeff that way to keep up this persona of dum de dum, just happy to be here this time around, I haven't evolved, unconnected dude.

Amazing wasp nest at the beginning!  

• Love 2
On 3/4/2020 at 9:09 PM, Rachel RSL said:

Other than watching Natalie continue to be a beast, I could do with 95% less EoE. I mean, I really like him, but I didn’t need the epic saga of Ethan going up a hill.

It's so deathly boring. I don't understand how production thought this would be interesting. Not only that but I thought the log hike challenge was gross. It was manufactured torture for what purpose? To entertain? It certainly wasn't entertaining.

The edge of extinction concept needs to disappear. I have no interest in the show escalating the torture in future episodes or seasons just so they can suck a few tears out of contestants who have already been voted out of the game.

• Love 1