Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Episode 8

Sofia sets out to bring an ashamed Brannox back to the Vatican from the Dolomites. Meanwhile, warned by Bauer of the church's demise unless immediate action is taken, Vioello is called upon to make things right and later mourns a tragic loss; and the nuns appeal to an unaccommodating Assente.  

Original air date 2020.03.02

Guess Voiello wasn’t going to stay on the sidelines forever.  Was just biding his time. 

They make it appear the death of Giralmo and the return of Lenny made him decide to fix things but he would have found other triggers eventually.

Was it last episode, Sofia tried to talk him into coming back?

He was just a floricultururist now as he told Bauer, but with the Church needing to show strength, he had to come back.

So he gets the nuns and the priest to blackmail Assente, to get his old Secretary of State post again, also blackmail the triad of Spalletta, Sofia’s now ex husband and the minister, so that they can no longer blackmail Brannox.

Sure seems like he’s backing Lenny, since he manipulated Brannox into meeting Lenny.

Actually a former pope can live in an apartment in the Vatican while another one is the current pope.  Ratzinger served as pope for a few years and then stepped down and lived in the Vatican until he died.

But Lenny isn’t going to go for that so now, Pope fight next week!

• LOL 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, scrb said:

Pope fight next week!

Sounds like a pitch for a South Park episode! I wouldn't put it past this show to literally put those two in the Ring.

Edited by marinw
  • LOL 2

I'm an intelligent woman, but very literal. Symbolism often goes right over my head; so this season has been an interesting exercise for me. 😄 I am usually able to discern what Paolo Sorrentino's trying to convey, but the final scene of this episode, with a naked Lenny standing in a drained pool, staring at his Papal robes hanging across from him, definitely has me scratching my head. 🤔 Theories please!

Voiello is truly an amazing character; the star of the show for me. 

I wonder if we'll ever know for sure exactly what happened to Pope Francis but I sure was intrigued by Bauer's "It wasn't us" and having the timing coincide with comatose Lenny moving his finger!

I enjoyed Lenny's conversation with the nuns but as for "The Cardinals should do your laundry just as you do theirs," how about if everyone just does their own damned laundry? 😅 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

🤔 Theories please!

This may be a case of the simplest explanation being the correct one. Paolo Sorrentino has chosen to bless us with the vision of Jude Law's butt, as the blinding white Papal Speedo is far too modest a garment for a butt of such divinity.

Edited by marinw
  • LOL 8
  • Love 5

I halfway liked Assente, due to his crush on Gutierrez and his crazy dance.  Too bad the power went to his head and he became a hypocrite.

The one-eyed priest is very creepy!  When he was slowly getting closer to the refugee in prison, I was jumping out of my skin!

I'm glad there was more movement in this episode, the pope showdown should be interesting!

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, marinw said:

This may be a case of the simplest explanation being the correct one. Paolo Sorrentino has chosen to bless us with the vision of Jude Law's butt, as the blinding white Papal Speedo is far too modest a garment for a butt of such divinity.

The opening montage of him walking among women in bikinis, including Sofia, looks like some cologne commercial out of the 90s or something.  It was framed to fit in fashion magazines which carry those ads.

also those ads were perfumed so you’d leaf through those magazines and it released the smell.

I think Lenny kind of gaslit the nuns, telling them they can’t have more privileges or rights.  He says the priests and Cardinals had too many privileges and they need to be scaled back.

meanwhile, the pope, the top cardinals, Voiello, etc. will live like kings if they want.  How about the ski cabin Brannox went to?  Just one of 100,000 properties owned by the church.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I loved this episode.  Voiello's speech at the funeral was so moving.  And we finally found out what happened with Brannock's brother.

One oratory from Voiello is worth 10 from Brannox.

2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I'm an intelligent woman, but very literal. Symbolism often goes right over my head; so this season has been an interesting exercise for me. 😄 I am usually able to discern what Paolo Sorrentino's trying to convey, but the final scene of this episode, with a naked Lenny standing in a drained pool, staring at his Papal robes hanging across from him, definitely has me scratching my head. 🤔 Theories please!

Who cares, just enjoy lol!

Edited by Starchild
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, marinw said:

Can't. Stop. Laughing. 😂

52 minutes ago, scrb said:

meanwhile, the pope, the top cardinals, Voiello, etc. will live like kings if they want.  How about the ski cabin Brannox went to?  Just one of 100,000 properties owned by the church.

That scene and that line about the Church's properties had me thinking about an old song, George Harrison's "Awaiting on You All." George had the Church nailed 50 years ago.

While the Pope owns 51% of General Motors
And the stock exchange is the only thing he's qualified to quote us

• LOL 1
18 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I took it like "draining the swamp" - once Lenny is ready to put the papal robes back on, literally the pool is draining and all the dirt washing away.  But who knows, maybe it was just Sorrentino's way of letting us stare at Jude Law's amazing ass.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Damn - my dvr cut off the last minute or so again.  Last week there was no way I was going to waste time to see the end scene.  Sounds like this week it would be worth it.

😂

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, scrb said:

The opening montage of him walking among women in bikinis, including Sofia, looks like some cologne commercial out of the 90s or something.  It was framed to fit in fashion magazines which carry those ads.

It's the second time they have used it.  It reminds me of the opening sequence they used for the first season where you'd see a spark of light travel down a line of paintings, from left to right.

For a guy in his late 40's, Jude Law can still bring it!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, MV713 said:

maybe it was just Sorrentino's way of letting us stare at Jude Law's amazing ass.

It is indeed a heavenly sight. I'm not Catholic yet I confess the sin of objectifying Jude Law.

On 3/3/2020 at 2:23 PM, meep.meep said:

Voiello's speech at the funeral was so moving. 

This show is often absurd, but that scene had real power.

• Love 4

I liked Vioello so emphatically stating how good his book is. 

I was surprised that "we didn't do it". Because when Francis keeled over he immediately got a text that it was done. I'm not sure if he's spinning some game. 

• Love 1
On 3/4/2020 at 5:20 PM, cpcathy said:

He’s bringing it now more than ever! You go, Jude Law!

Seriously, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - THIS is actually peak Jude Law. He should hire the spray tan/makeup team & hairpiece people from this series to work in every project he does ever. Also, while I wasn’t paying attention over the last 3 years, Jude Law has morphed into this era’s Cary Grant. THIS is actually Jude Law in his prime, acting & looks (lots of credits for the looks to the amazing hair/makeup team, once again). 

I seek atonement for my hubris when I thought peak Jude Law was him beautifully lazing around Italy in “The Talented Mr. Ripley” two decades ago. I knew not what I had done. Hot Pope Pius is actually peak Jude Law.

On 3/4/2020 at 5:31 PM, marinw said:

It is indeed a heavenly sight. I'm not Catholic yet I confess the sin of objectifying Jude Law.

When is the sacrament of reconciliation being offered again at Primetimer? Because I also need to confess to this sin. 😉 I’m off to re-memorize the Act of Contrition since I haven’t been to confession in over a decade (shhh....don’t tell the nuns I grew up with, although they’re probably too busy dancing to ”The Good Time Girl” & low-key subverting the patriarchy to pay me any mind 😉 ).

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 3/3/2020 at 12:47 AM, scrb said:

Actually a former pope can live in an apartment in the Vatican while another one is the current pope.  Ratzinger served as pope for a few years and then stepped down and lived in the Vatican until he died.

Ratzinger is still very much alive at 93 years old.

• Useful 1